Farm, Family, & Food.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Get ready for a holiday photo bomb!

We lucked out with the most incredible weather here in Connecticut.  Since both babies are currently on a similar afternoon nap schedule, we all got up early to make the most of our morning.  My sister needed to check in at work in the morning, so we all went with her.

She works on a school that is centered around a farm – very cool!  She actually had a gorgeous farm wedding right here on the school grounds a few years ago!

I have been to the farm many times, but it still feels fun and exciting every time.  I love getting up close and personal with the animals.

And we had fun showing them to Cullen and Jonah.  What a lucky guy to get to grow up with his own private petting zoo!

We stopped to feed the turkeys, and reminded them how lucky they were to be in their cozy coop on Thanksgiving (we are all vegetarians).

And tried for the obligatory cousins photo, where naturally they both refused to look at the camera or smile.  (Adorable matching jackets courtesy of Grandma.)

We toured the farm and the grounds for a bit while Rebecca finished up her work (feeding animals – never a day off!).

And then we headed up into the woods for fresh air and a family hike.

Cullen passed out the minute he went into the Ergo.  Just when I think he’s a giant toddler, he acts like a little baby.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous – couldn’t have asked for anything better.  And Connecticut still has beautiful red, orange, and yellow leaves all around.  I am so used to the Seattle landscape (which is quite different), and I forget how beautiful some of the other parts of the country are too.

After a leisurely climb UP, we eventually landed at top of West Rock Park.  There was a wide open lookout area, and we had the place all to ourselves.  The views of New Haven and the Long Island Sound in the distance were absolutely gorgeous.

I haven’t been out to Connecticut in almost two years, and I am so, so happy we were able to make this trip work.  Having a week together to celebrate my mom’s birthday as well as Thanksgiving has felt so special.  So many thanks to Rebecca, Sam, and Jonah (who gave up his nursery to Cullen!) for the wonderful hospitality.

Our whole crew at the top of West Rock Park.  Perfect weather, perfect day, perfect way to gear up for a big day of eating!

I love these two way too much.  I am working hard to mobilize my family to all start heading WEST!

Cullen snoozed through the entire thing – I was just glad he got in a good nap.  Casey was burning up with the sleeping puffy-coat monster strapped to his chest.  I am always thankful that holidays mean more time with these two!

After taking in the scenery from the top for a bit, we headed back down so we could start cooking and getting ready for our feast.  I love that my family loves being active and spending time outdoors as much as I do!

We got back to the house around noon – just in time for babies to take afternoon naps so that we could get to cooking.  Except someone decided to nap during the hike instead…

So we hung out in the playroom for a bit until others were available for babysitting.  So fun to be back with this girl!  We miss having her in Seattle with us.

Eventually, Casey and I made our way into the kitchen to begin our Thanksgiving prep.  I think I underestimated how many dishes and how much food we had to cook – it took us five hours from start to finish!

We worked nonstop – cutting, chopping, roasting, talking, and hanging out in a kitchen full of family.  It was everything that I love about Thanksgiving.  Couldn’t have done it without my favorite cooking partner.

At 7pm on the nose, the food hit the table!  Our spread included: Cranberry orange Brussels sprouts with walnuts

Homemade cranberry sauce…

Green beans with sliced almonds (thanks to my mom for making this one!)…

Quinoa lentil loaf – I had forgotten how good this is – favorite dish of the night!  Looks weird, tastes delicious.

Mashed skin-on red potatoes, along with white vegan gravy

Roasted carrots with brown sugar (Casey made this one up!)…

Sourdough stuffing with fennel and capers (sooooo freaking good).

It was a monstrosity of food.  If you think vegetarians can’t enjoy Thanksgiving, you are mistaken.

I ate and ate, and ate some more.  I love mixing a tiny bit of cranberry sauce into every bite.  Great food, great conversation, and great company to share it all with!

After a bit of a break, and some kitchen cleanup, we were all ready for pumpkin pie in front of the fireplace.  Casey and I made two of our vegan pumpkin pies, along with homemade whipped cream.

We made a second pie so we’d have leftovers, but I didn’t end up getting a second piece since we left to head home early this afternoon.  I can’t stop thinking about wanting more pie.  Perhaps I will make another one for us when we get back to Seattle!

We all agreed that this was one of the best holidays we can remember.  The food was great, the weather was outstanding, but of course the best part was spending four days with the people I love most.  I have so much to be thankful for this year, and this week was such a good reminder of that.

Flying across the country as we speak – a smooth flight, no travel hiccups, and a snoozing baby on my husband’s chest.  Thankful, indeed.  I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

Sana     at 11:26 pm

It’s been so nice to see you and your husband together on the blog. You really have a lovely family :)

Gabby     at 1:23 am

What a lovely post. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Your family seem very sweet and close. Happy thanksgiving!

Michelle@Peachy Palate     at 1:24 am

Wow it all looks and sounds amazing! The nut loaf doesn’t look funny at all it looks incredible! As do the pumpkin pies! Love the pic of the two cousins, so natural and the north face jackets are so cute!

Simply Life     at 2:59 am

what a wonderful holiday! I love that the whole family took a hike together!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 3:34 am

What a very fun day! Thanksgiving is such a great holiday to spend with family. Glad you enjoyed it to the max!

Mari     at 4:09 am

Wow, your Thanksgiving looks wonderful, Emily! The food looks amazing! How awesome that your sister works on a farm–I love animals :) How did she get that kind of job? If love to do something like that!

She’s worked there for 12 years! No idea how she got it way back then. She has an Environmental Education degree.

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy     at 5:41 am

It looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I usually only eat the side dishes on Thanksgiving anyway — I could do without the turkey!

Shari     at 5:58 am

What a lovely holiday you had! :)

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 6:27 am

What an amazing weekend! There is so much to do in the New Haven area! I’m sad the best vegetarian restaurant there, Red Lentil, just closed. Josh and I were planning to eat there when we were there for Christmas. All of your food looks delicious!

Katie     at 7:06 am

What an adorable family! I have to say that I love your style (and I know out always talk about how you have no style – mot true!)! Where are your shoes from?

They are Merrels!

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 7:45 am

I want to hug that bunny!! What a lovely Thanksgiving, and what a beautiful family!

Kathryn     at 8:40 am

Beautiful post – happy Thanksgiving!

I’m expecting my first little one in March and my husband and I are big travelers. I’d be really interested in a post with tips on how you guys travel with Cullen…including what types of “gear” you have to bring with you on your trips and how you pack. Do you find it gets easier as he gets a little older?

I will probably write another travel post soon over on Babble. It’s actually getting HARDER as he gets older. Once he’s a few years older than now, and a bit more independent, it will probably be easier again. But for now it’s tough to wrestle him into a seat and keep him quiet for many hours at a time.

Kathryn Reply:

Thanks for the reply and perspective!

Amanda     at 8:45 am

I love that green walled kitchen! My mixer is the same color and I want to eventually paint one of the girls rooms that shade, I’m slightly obsessed. We’re trying to get everyone on board with moving to Seattle as well when my Husband gets out of the Navy, figure if we start bugging them now in three years when we move they’ll want to come too!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 9:49 am

Hooray for fabulous vacations with no hiccups! Glad you had a great time.

Also glad that you show non-veggies that it doesn’t have to be all about turkey on Thanksgiving.

P.S. – Made a variation of your Brussels Sprouts w/ cranberries. Delish!

Danielle     at 11:11 am

It’s great that you and Casey got some time to cook together! I know life is very Cullen centered right now (as it should be) but I’m sure you enjoyed some more extensive kitchen time together :-)

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 12:53 pm

Look at your face in these pictures! You are beaming. You can totally tell your family makes you happy. Happy Thanksgiving Emily!

Charlie @ the runner beans     at 10:00 am

That looks like an awesome spread! I’ve never tried pumpkin pie, yours looks delicious. Might have to scout some out or make my own soon!

Kathleen     at 12:51 pm

Hi Emily! Just wanted to say your stuffing and quinoa loaf look AMAZING…definitely going on my list of recipes to try. What a lovely vegetarian Thanksgiving feast!

Those were my two favorite dishes — definitely give them a try when you get the chance! :)

Katie @ Balanced RD     at 2:42 pm

All of your Thanksgiving foods look amazing! It’s great to see a vegetarian style dinner, instead of the traditional turkey! :)

Mandi     at 6:59 pm

I love mixing cranberry sauce with everything too. I think I grossed my co-workers out yesterday by mixing all my leftovers together making it this bright fuscia color. So yummy!

jillian     at 9:33 pm

Long time reader, etc. Finally compelled to comment after following you here from Babble – because New Haven is my college town and I am so envious you got to visit. Lovely family, good food, sweet post!

Thanks for reading, Jillian! I love New Haven, and love exploring and see more every time I visit. I didn’t post it due to lack of space, but we got Miya’s sushi on Wednesday night and it was OUT of this world!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 10:18 am

We had some incredible weather over the weekend – you couldn’t ask for anything more and I adore the matching jacket pic of the boys. How wonderful that they are close in age and I bet will be great play mates for years to come. Would you believe the first time I saw a pic of you and your younger sister I thought she was Bristol Palin until I read the blog post that she was your sister? :)

Too funny. I just had to Google her for a picture, but I can sort of see the resemblance. Haha!

Shannan     at 12:48 pm

That sounds like the perfect holiday! You are making me hungry with all of those food pictures. My husband and I are the only vegetarians in our family, so unfortunately, our plates tend to be filled with mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. Seeing these pictures makes me want to have my own vegetarian Thanksgiving–even if we are already past the holiday! :)

Laura     at 4:24 pm

My sister-in-law made your cranberry orange brussel sprouts, and they were delicious! Everyone loved them. I will be making them at home soon.

Oh yay, glad to hear it! :)

kristonlion     at 3:34 am

your food looks delicious! besides that loaf. BUT man do the ingredients sound great! I will try it out of sheer curiosity!

Lisa     at 8:46 am

That brussels sprouts recipe looks amazing! I am obsessed with them lately. I made a shaved brussels sprouts salad for Thanksgiving that was a huge hit. And so good.

Rachel     at 8:02 pm

Hi Emily! I love the bag you are carrying on your hike – not sure if it’s a diaper bag or not. Could you pass on the info for it – brand or where you purchased it?
Thank you!

My Omnivore’s Dilemma : Expeditions of Elise     at 9:10 am

[...] perused vegetarian menus. I read my favorite vegetarian bloggers’ Thanksgiving recaps. I even posed a question to the readers at The Kitchn, who made me even more [...]