Foodie Baby: One Year.

For the previous posts in this series, check out:

Now that Cullen is one, we are starting to wean and he is getting the bulk of his nutrition from food.  When he first started eating solids, I found it really overwhelming and confusing.  But with a little research and experimentation, meal times have become a lot of fun.

Sometimes a little too much fun…

Now that Cullen is eating three meals a day, plus snacks – I thought I’d give an update on how things look at the one year mark.  Here’s how a typical day of eating, drinking, and nursing looks right now…

Breakfast

Cullen wakes up around 7am most mornings (this is a very new development).  After he wakes up, I change his diaper and nurse him in his room, and then we head downstairs for breakfast.

I try to give him a good variety of food, and not give him the same thing too many days in a row.  I always make sure to get him a balance of fruit, carbs, and fats for breakfast.  Here are some typical foods I choose from each morning:

• whole banana or pear, sliced into discs or wedges
  • scrambled egg
  • piece of toast with almond butter or sunbutter (cut into strips)
  • several baby banana pancakes
  • sippy cup of fruit and veggie smoothie
  • Coconut milk yogurt (I get the plain, Greek variety)
  • homemade applesauce or diced kiwi

IMG_9752 (640x427) (640x427)

Obviously he doesn’t get all of this every day.  I usually give him three things.  Here are some sample combos:

• scrambled egg, toast with nutbutter, applesauce
  • coconut milk yogurt, banana pancakes, whole pear

When Casey packs up and gets ready for the day, he makes a full blender of smoothie for all of us to share.  He takes a bottle to work, and leaves the rest for me and Cullen in the fridge.  They are usually a blend of frozen berries, bananas, carrots, spinach, flax oil, and almond milk.  If Cullen is having smoothie, we leave out things like protein powder and stevia that we typically add to our “adult” smoothies.

He generally eats a BIG breakfast.  If he still seems hungry, I will keep feeding him.   He’s going into his busiest, more energetic time of the day, so I know he needs lots of fuel.

Milk

Ahhhh the milk question.  So many of you have asked what we ended up deciding on this!  After much research and talking to our pediatrician, Casey and I decided we felt confident that we could meet Cullen’s nutritional needs without cow’s milk.

We are paying careful attention to the amount of fat he’s getting each day (as fat is the primary nutritional concern at this age).  We’re opting to give him unsweetened hemp milk as an alternative.

I usually offer a sippy cup of hemp milk several times a day – usually with meals or snacks.  On average, he probably has anywhere from 5-12 ounces a day, depending on his appetite.  I don’t want to overly rely on milk, so I try to get a good amount of fat into his diet in other ways.  He is also still breastfeeding twice a day (as of this week!).

The only drawback to the hemp milk so far?  It’s expensive!  It comes in the unrefrigerated boxes, so I’ve been stocking up whenever there is a sale.  One thing is for sure – Cullen is definitely making his presence known in the grocery budget!

Edited to add:  Thanks to all of your comments and questions!  I KNEW there was more I wanted to say on this, so I’m popping back to answer a few questions about the milk.  We chose hemp milk because it is the most nutritionally complete, and similar to cow’s milk, of the non-dairy milks.  Yes, it totally makes us sound like hippies.  We’re okay with it.

We aren’t making our own because the boxed milk is fortified with things like Vitamin D, calcium, and B12 – all things Cullen needs, particularly as a vegetarian.  Can’t have too much of that good stuff!  Ultimately, we hope to get most of his nutrition met through food, so we don’t have to rely heavily on any type of milk.

Lunch

Lunch is usually the smallest meal of the day (for both of us!).  Due to his nap schedule, the middle of the day is generally when we’re out and about.  Whether it’s a playdate, mom’s group, or the one day a week Cullen plays at a friend’s house, I usually pack lunch on the go.

Lunch is often a half an avocado, along with something like roasted sweet potatoes or Field Roast veggie dog.  Or sometimes I will make a sunbutter & jelly sandwich and cut it into cubes.  He is often too busy playing to eat much for lunch!  I have a few different sippy cups and packable plates that I take everywhere.  (I’ll write a separate post about feeding/eating supplies soon!)

Snack

Cullen is not a big snacker.  I know there are babies that snack all day long, but he seems to like more formal meals.  We don’t usually do a morning snack unless we are at home (which is rare), so snacks are typically saved for the afternoon, after the nap and before dinner.

Here are some of Cullen’s favorite snacks:

• grapes (sliced in half)
  • roasted carrot sticks with hummus
  • clementines
  • more fruit/veggie smoothie
  • apple or pear slices
  • sharing a whole apple with mom

Dinner

Dinner is another big meal –for all of us!  I usually survey the fridge and pantry around 5pm and start to think about what I’m going to feed Cullen that night.  Most nights, we don’t do a family dinner and all eat at the same time, simply because Casey gets home during Cullen’s dinner time, and I can’t get our meal prepped and cooked while I’m home alone.

When I cook dinner for me and Casey, I usually cook in massive quantities.  I always set a few portions aside for Cullen to have the next day, so I already have something cooked and ready to go.  I also make a few big batches of things during the week – quinoa, lentils, applesauce, roasted veggies – so they are on hand for lunches and dinners.

Here are a few of Cullen’s favorite dinner combinations:

• Roasted squash, green peas, and avocado cubes
  • Quinoa and lentils, roasted sweet potatoes, and cheesy kale
  • Whole roasted carrots, mixed frozen vegetables, and black beans
  • Tortilla with hummus, edamame, and veggie burger bites
  • Penne pasta, miso sauce, butter beans, and kiwi

Those are just a few samples.  I usually plan his meals based on what he ate during other meals that day.  If he had an avocado at lunch, I’ll find another good fat source for dinner.  Or if he had toast for breakfast, I won’t give him a sandwich for lunch.  I strive for balance, but I also try not to over-think it.

Some days he is hungry and easy going, and eats anything I put in front of him.  Others, he waves his hands all over the high chair and tosses all his food onto the ground.  But judging by his massive belly, I’m not too worried about him starving just yet.

Throughout the course of the day, he eats a LOT of food.  I’m always amazed at how much he can pack into such a tiny body.  But now that we’re down to only two nursing sessions each day, I try to offer as much as it seems he wants.  If he’s not hungry, he won’t eat, so I don’t really worry about offering too much at this point.

It’s funny to think back now about when Cullen could only grasp food in his fist, and he’d struggle to open his hand wide enough to get anything in to his mouth.  Most of his first foods were fruits, and meal times were much more about experimentation and new flavors than they were about nutrition or fuel.

These days, he can walk around the room while eating a whole apple (skinned).  He shows distinct preferences to tastes and textures, and claps wildly when he wants more.  For each meal, I sit on a stool across from him and either eat my own meal or just talk to him and help with his spoon.  Meals are some of my favorite parts of our day.

I feel like there is a lot more on this topic that I wanted to say, but I don’t want to get too long winded.  I’m planning to do a few more posts soon on meal prep, supplies, and bulk cooking for the week.  I’d love to hear and tips or favorite foods from other parent in the comments too!

And finally, Cullen showing off his new favorite snack – stealing an apple from mom!

Elena     at 11:13 pm

Those videos are Too. Cute.

I love seeing the posts of how your family eats over the course of a week, even Cullen! I have a tendency to think of meals as either gearing up for full recipes or zapping some Lean Cuisine, so it’s great to get inspiration. Looking forward to the bulk cooking post as well!

Leanne     at 11:31 pm

It sounded like he said apple early in the video…. not sure but.. :-) He is absolutely adorable! :-)

Annelies     at 12:35 am

One thing is sure: Cullen eats healthier than I do :).

Megan     at 2:38 am

Those videos are precious! I’m due with my first in 11 days (so close) and his laughs just made me so excited!!! Thanks for sharing how meals are going at your household. It’s nice to get a small glimpse of what is coming at us in the future. :)

Lindsay Hamilton     at 3:50 am

My three year old has never drank cows milk and it was not something we prepared for…she just refused to drink it. She has never liked the taste and early on when I would try to give her a silly cup.she would take a tiny sip and so “No…no momma.” We were concerned at first but we have since spoken to doctors who spoke about the dangers of cows milk leading to obesity in children. We have found other sources for fat like you and as you know plant based foods have plenty of calcium for our bodies. :)

Erica     at 4:00 am

I’m so glad you are doing more videos – the pictures are gorgeous but it’s great seeing his awesome personality!

It’s hard to get him to sit still for photos, so videos are becoming the norm, haha!

Kelsey     at 5:00 am

I just think this is so awesome. My baby boy isn’t due until April but I desperately hope after his one year mark that he will be keen on such great healthy foods. Love these posts! Any idea on how much your food budget has gone up each month now?

Can’t say for sure how much Cullen contributes, but he goes through a LOT of produce, and the milk is $3.99 a box! I’d guess we spend around $100 a month just on him.

Hilary @ PeanutButterSpoonfuls     at 5:16 am

It’s really interesting to see what Cullen’s eating. This post gives me some great ideas for my little guy too! My 14 month old still barely eats more than 4 bites at a sitting and wants to nurse all the time. How did you get Cullen to like food so much?? Maybe I’m not offering anything tasty enough, I’ll have to try a few of these things and see how it goes!

Not sure! He just has a big appetite. I also try different seasoning, and add a glug of olive oil to most of his grains or veggies (more fat!), which I’m sure helps with flavor.

molly     at 5:52 am

I love Cullen’s little chair. Can you share where to buy one??

Land of Nod!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate     at 6:11 am

The whole food thing can be so intimidating. I think you’re right– it’s best not to overthink it! We’re still just in the puree stage (which many parents seem to skip these days in favor of baby-led weaning, but our daughter really likes the purees, so whatever works!), but I’m looking forward to her eating more adventurous foods in the months to come. :-)

Christine     at 6:29 am

While I love reading your posts about food and recipes in general, I really enjoy these posts about Cullen and food. While my son is a little older he can sure learn a thing or two from him! Thanks for the new ideas. I can’t wait to try some new things with my picky eater!

Veggie V @ Veggie V's Vegan Adventure     at 6:42 am

Have you considered making your own hemp milk? The newest “scare” is caragenen used to thicken store bought nondairy milks. Making hemp or any other no dairy milk is super easy and Takes less than 5 minutes :-) Plus, it’s cheaper!

jen Reply:

I have crohn’s disease and was told to avoid caragenen and its in so much vegan dairy subs.My doc did say there is a doctor doing testing on humans for it, so far its only been tested on pigs. but it did show it increase cancer risks and inflammation in those with IBS.

jen Reply:

opps thats spelled carrageenan

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) Reply:

I’ve heard similar things about carrageenan, so I’m curious to hear about this more too!

Veggie V! @ Veggie V's Vegan Adventure Reply:

Ha! Yes, I can’t spell! Thanks for correcting that :-)

I’ve been reading a lot about it, and it seems to be used in a lot of shelf stable items and/or nut/see milks in particular because it’s a thickener.

Shoot. So, I meant to mention this above. I knew there was more I wanted to say! As far as making our own, the boxed hemp milk is fortified with things like Vitamin D, calcium, and B12 – things he needs, particularly since we are vegetarians. As far as carageenen goes – YES, I was worried about this. I’ve read quite a bit about it. We decided to do hemp milk since it is the most nutritionally similar to cow’s milk. I consistently found two hemp brands in stores – one with brown rice syrup (shown to contain arsenic!), and the other with carageenen. I stressed and worried, and ultimately decided that I needed to pick the lesser of two evils and move on. There will always be SOMETHING to avoid, and I can’t paint myself into a corner by worrying about everything. He doesn’t drink a ton of it, so I’m not too worried. I still think it’s the healthier alternative! Glad you brought this up!

lisa     at 6:43 am

Great post! I love the videos with Cullen–so cute!!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 7:14 am

I didn’t think to give Ada an apple. Much of what you’ve written (specific foods and all) sounds like our plan. We also don’t eat dinner as a family, as much as we’d like to say we are. We usually eat after she goes to bed at like 7:30. Ada isn’t as enthusiastic about all her meals — but with us, lunch is definitely when she eats the least. Anyway! I am planning a food post, too, so I can take part in the Munchkin Meals this time around, so you’ll see soon enough :) It IS so much fun, though, this whole food thing. I used to be totally intimidated and freaked out, but now I pretty much just give her whatever and if she doesn’t want to eat, I don’t stress as much as I had been. Phew.

I didn’t really think to give him one either. I was eating one and he was VERY curious, so I held it out and he just started chowing down, haha.

Bethany @ One Girl's Taste On Life Reply:

I did this with my little guy around 10 months, but with slices instead of the whole apple. I will definitely be trying that next!

Britta     at 7:28 am

I think it’s really great that you avoid cow’s milk. Fat is really important to the developing brain; however, too much cow’s milk can create an iron deficiency, and iron deficiency can result in cognitive delays. I work with teen parents and will have to let them know that hemp milk is a good option for those who’ve already noticed a sensitivity to lactose!

Leah     at 7:40 am

Thanks for sharing Emily! These are some great meal ideas for my little ones. I was curious about your thoughts on milk with Cullen. I have kids with food allergies. I will have to try the hemp milk again. I tried it a few years ago and wasn’t a fan. Did he take to it easily? My 2 year old had a reaction to coconut milk and possible to almond milk also. BTW, adorable pictures!

He had no problem taking it!

Leah Reply:

Good to know! I bought some today and will give it a try. Boy, you were right, it is much pricer than other alternative milks.

Glad you were able to find it! And YES to the price – Ouch! I’m going to see if I can get a discounted price by buying a case at a time, and also check places like Costco!

Leah Reply:

Have you seen it at Costco? I am in WA and never seen it at mine. Although I am happy they started to carry almond milk. If my daughter will take it, I will be happy. She’s been on rice milk a few weeks just to decrease the allergens in her body but I don’t like giving her this milk with the aresenic stuff I’ve read about. Anyway, thanks for commenting. I love reading your blog!

Amy     at 8:22 am

Thanks for this! I have a 7 month old so we are just starting to explore solids. This is super helpful — for some reason I find the whole world of feeding a baby pretty overwhelming and confusing. I can’t believe how different it will look for us in just a few short months!

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 8:24 am

He is too. Cute. :) I love thinking about how I’ll feed my babies when I have them (bc I pretty much just love thinking about food/nutrition in general), and I think these posts are really interesting! He’s such a healthy little dude!

Theresa     at 8:24 am

Great post! He is such a cutie. Can you charge where you got that cute grey and yellow chair for him?

It’s from Land of Nod – the Nod Chair. Scored it on super sale for only $35!

Ashley     at 8:31 am

He just killllllls meeeeee!!!!!!! Also, I am coming over for breakfast. YUM.

COME OVER! And bring donuts! :)

Gina     at 8:41 am

I absolutely loved this post. He eats so healthy and balanced! He’s so stinkin’ cute!

Kayla @ The Best Things     at 8:48 am

What a great post, Emily! I love that pic of Cullen with his cup, striding around somewhere important. He looks like a tiny, diapered, business man.

He acts like one too, haha!

Kelly b     at 9:14 am

My little man is 10 months old, and I’ve loved following along with you in the motherhood journey. You’re always a few steps ahead, and have been a great source of inspiration and ideas on this daunting food journey. Luckily, like C, my guy isn’t too picky an eater, and has a big appetite, so food hasn’t generally been an issue or fight with him, but I grt stuck in food ruts, not knowing what to give him. You’ve given me so many great ideas for him (and recipes for me and my husband!) that I just wanted to say thank you!! I always look forward to reading your blog posts!

Emily     at 9:38 am

He’s so adorable. I’m not sure if it would be more economical or not, but you could try making your own hemp milk. This recipe has great reviews http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2012/01/homemade-hemp-milk.html

I thought about it, but one of the reasons we went with this one is because it’s fortified with things like Vitamin D, B12, and calcium that he needs.

Jaime     at 11:35 am

LOVE this post & totally look forward to all your ideas! I really had trouble in the beginning of feeding my first, I went along with the cereal suggestion etc & with your malleable attitude about things such as milk,this is a great place to feel support! My 2 year old is very texture picky & never ate anything squishy, ever. I’ve found his favorite foods are just whole foods & as your little one grows, I look forward to learning how you’ll handle these food challenges,,,,!
Veggie corn dogs, edamame, spring rolls, all fruit & half the veggies I make, & tofu are our faves!
Jaime & will!

Some days Cullen is super picky, and other days he’ll eat anything. It’s definitely frustrating when I make a meal he won’t eat, but I figure that’s just how toddlers are, right?

Ella     at 11:48 am

As a dietitian and mom of a BFing 10 month old (currently thinking about weaning) this post is super interesting to me! I’m impressed that Cullen eats off a plate. When did he start doing that? I am sure that my son would just push a plate full of food onto the floor. Also does he take all that help milk via sippy cups and straw cups? No more bottles? My kid doesn’t drink more than one oz of water from a sippy cup each day. I can’t imagine him getting enough fluid that way when we transition from the breast… I worry a bit about this when I think about weaning! Is Cullen ok with cold milk or do u have to warm it up?

He’s not great at eating off the plate – definitely tries to throw it. He is usually closely supervised. :) The throwing typically comes at the end of the meal when he’s getting bored or full. As far as milk goes, he only does straw cups and sippy cups. He basically NEVER took a bottle as a baby, so we lucked out with not having a hard transition there. I started him with water in the straw cup this summer, and slowly worked in milk last month. He still hasn’t figured out the whole tipping UP of the sippy cup, so he does mostly straws. He drinks it cold!

Jolene (Homespun Heritage)     at 1:18 pm

Thanks for sharing! My last baby had horrible food allergies which weren’t diagnosed until she was a year old so because of the insane amount of issues she had caused her to have oral aversions and she didn’t consistently eat solid food until she was nearly 2! I nursed until she was 20 months and the only milk she can have is not nutritionally dense (rice milk) but due to those allergies it is the ONLY milk she can have!

Even now she eats like a bird most days and cycles between drinking her calories/fat and eating them. When she’s not eating much we just compensate by bulking up her drinks.

Our newest addition, also, seems to have food allergies, too, but get this…he reacts to RICE MILK! I just can’t win! But he’s a great little nurser so I’m hoping he’ll avoid the oral issues.

We have 7 children total so I am able to cook/bake and I love having such great eaters!

Oh man! That sounds rough. Can’t believe they have opposite allergies. I have a feeling number two is going to rock my world. :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}     at 2:06 pm

I love hearing about all the healthy stuff you feed Cullen! And also that he likes hummus, smoothies, etc – so adult!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com     at 3:54 pm

Such a sweet boy-you are such a great momma! Love the variety you are giving him-I need to keep some of these things in mind for myself! : )

Kristel     at 4:11 pm

I would love to hear more about bulk food prep and what Casey takes to work to eat. My husband and I both pack our lunches and I find it a challenge to have extra food around to pack up that ‘travels’ well.

Jess     at 5:27 pm

I love this post and can’t wait to read more about all things baby + solids. I’m a first time mama to an (almost) 3-month-old and am already feeling intimidated by the thought of solids in the future!

Lisa     at 7:13 pm

I am just curious, how do you make cheesy roasted kale? Would love a recipe, if you get a chance. Thanks!

Katiep     at 8:11 pm

great timing on the post! When did you start feeding Cullen eggs? I’ve read several different things about when to
Give them and just the yolk or all of it. It’d e so easy to scramble one up for my son when I make mine for breakfast though. He’s 9 months so I wasn’t sure when he could start eating them?

I think I started around nine months. I tried just the yolk first, and then did the whole egg a week later. Now he just eats whole eggs, and loves them!

sarah crosby     at 9:21 pm

Great post! I love hearing what you are feeding him. Does the hemp milk taste similar to cows milk?is it creamier or waterier? weird question i know. I was dairy free for 10 months while breast feeding, due to my sons milk protien allergy. He is now 13 months and grown out of the allergy (thank goodness but cannot stand the taste of cows milk. I get so frustrated trying to make sure he has enough fats but am thinking i should try something else. Wondering if he would take hemp milk instead.

you son is just precious. I about died when i saw his little belt. why are normal things like belts so cute tiny?

Adrianne Reply:

YES! And ordinary things done by a tiny person are also ridiculously cute!

The hemp milk has a bit of a unique taste. Almost a hint of corn. It’s creamy, maybe creamier than cow’s milk. It’s worth a try! And YES to things like tiny belts. I so totally agree. Kills me!

sarah crosby     at 9:28 pm

i do have one semi related semi unrelated question. do you guys still use pb2?

Not very often. We mostly use it in smoothies now!

Amy     at 9:33 am

I’ve been hesitating to make this bold all-encompassing statement. But now I feel it in my bones that it is true: Cullen is the most adorable baby ever. That peas video? Total joy.

Haha thanks Amy!

Katie @ Balanced RD     at 10:04 am

I love the foods that you are feeding him :) I don’t have any kids yet, but I definitely want to feed my kids the same way one day! I’m also impressed that you are still breastfeeding! He’s adorable!!

Thanks Katie!

Amy     at 11:56 am

I’m dying over both the videos. Thanks so much for sharing! He is SUCH a cutie :)

Karina     at 12:57 pm

boy, I love your living room. so pretty. details please!!

Thank you!

Bethany @ One Girl's Taste On Life     at 4:58 pm

I love reading posts about meals for the little ones. Brittany’s idea of Munchkin Meals is really a great one. I always feel like I’m giving my guy too little variety and sticking with the same basic things.

Do you season Cullen’s food much or is it basically plain? I was always afraid to give Jake edamame because it seems like it would get stuck in his throat, but I see Cullen has a mound of uncut pieces on his tray. I assume he doesn’t have a problem managing them.

Keep the baby food posts coming! I’m always looking for new ideas. Can’t wait for your food prep post too! Please include how you prep the food, not just what you prep each week if possible. Thanks, Emily! You’re the best!!

I usually give him a little salt and olive oil, depending on what it is. He doesn’t like the plain food as much anymore, and really – who can blame him?

Amanda     at 5:00 pm

Hi Emily! I love all your blogs, I check daily! I have a 4 month old boy and love reading what you are feeding Cullen ( We have a very similar diet). I was going to suggest that you make a “pages” link for Foodie Baby. Since we are several months behind what you guys are doing with Cullen, I’d love to be able to click on a link and be able to easily go back through all your post from breastfeeding to solid foods. Anyways just a suggestion. ;-) Cullen is such a cutie, love all your pics!!

That is a good idea! I’ve been adding the links to the parenting page so far. But I’m hoping to do a site redesign soon, and this is great suggestion.

Sylvana Reply:

Same I totally agree it would be so helpful, it also would be great if you were able to create a table listing all the foods Cullen ate each month since introducing solids and in what order foods were introduced. It’s so confusing out there.

I would recommend checking out Wholesome Baby Food – great website for this type of stuff! I’m happy to share what we do, but I don’t want to go as far as seeming to be an expert or authority on the subject. I don’t really remember what order we introduced foods in at this point – just a general timeline! But I’ll keep posting what we are doing, and how it’s going.

Sylvana     at 5:30 pm

Emily I loved this post it was really helpful, can’t wait to hear more about meal planning and other topics related to raising a vegetarian child. The fact that you don’t eat dairy is even a bonus because your providing me which great alternatives as I plan to follow a similar route. Thanks :)

Fernanda     at 6:42 pm

What is the toddler chair/sofa Cullen is sitting in? I have been wanting to buy my 1 year old son a little chair of his own too.

Land of Nod “Nod Chair!”

Heather     at 8:22 pm

he. is. the. cutest. ever! i love that age…so fascinating to watch them interact with the world. he seems like a very happy & healthy kiddo

Thanks Heather!

Sarah     at 5:52 am

That smile and laugh is precious! Thanks for sharing, will definitely be keeping this stuff in mind for when mine is ready for solids :)

Abby     at 8:28 am

Love the blog! So many great food/snack ideas for my little one. I have a random question….where did you get your entertainment unit (that holds your tv). Saw it in your video and i have been looking for one with baskets (or with space for baskets) for the longest time and haven’t been able to find one!

It’s from Ikea! Here’s the link:

Baskets are Ikea too!

Abby Reply:

Thanks so much!!

Christine     at 9:50 am

Your son is such a doll!

My daughter turns 1 tomorrow and I’ve also been trying to research a cows milk alternative for health reasons – I’m going to start with Almond Milk and see where we go from there.

Also love the meal plans – helps me think about my daughter’s as well! Just need to plan ahead a bit with roasting veggies!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 11:21 am

He’s absolutely adorable, Emily. I love the videos! It will be so exciting when he starts talking. My godson’s sister is almost two and she is so entertaining. I think she talks like she’s doing a workout video because she says “ok” after everything. I’ll say, “Lina are you ready?” and she says, “Ready? Ok!” So cute.

Too cute!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 11:53 am

Delighted to hear you went with hemp milk! People just succumb to the marketing pressure from the dairy industry which is heavily supported by those involved in conventional medicine (in Ireland at least). More power to you! He has a wonderful whole food nutritionally rich diet!

Adrianne     at 12:08 pm

Hi Emily! Thanks so much for sharing more about what Cullen eats. I’m always in need of inspiration for my almost 15 month old. She is super picky, but never was when I was making homemade baby food. She used to eat quinoa mixed with pureed veggies. Now she won’t touch either one:(

Anyway, one thing that she does eat and LOVE is a spin off a recipe you posted here. I think you called them energy bites and you made them when you guys went hiking. I grind oats, sunflower seeds, dried figs and raisins (or a different dried fruit), ground flax seed, then add a little peanut or almond butter, a little water, and roll into small balls using unsweetened coconut flakes. She devours these and I love that they are crammed full of protein and good fats. Maybe Cullen would like them as an afternoon snack too! :)

Yes, the energy bites! At the time that I posted those, Cullen hadn’t had nuts yet, but he’d definitely be ready for some now! Yum!

Adrianne Reply:

Well, watch out! If he’s anything like my daughter, he will eat 5 in one sitting. Also if he’s anything like her, he’ll shove the whole thing in his mouth, so I make mine small enough for a little mouth to handle:)

MPD     at 12:37 pm

Do you have a concern that by imposing your own vegetarian beliefs you might be robbing your child of needed nutrients? He seems a little young to be subjected to a hard core dietary. Give that kid some meat. He needs it for brain development.

Nope, I don’t. Many, many children thrive on a vegetarian diet. His brain seems to be developing quite well so far!

Amy     at 1:38 pm

Oh please…really, MPD?!?! Loved this post, Emily.

MPD Reply:

If anything, I think this article reinforces my point, not yours…

“successfully raising a vegetarian child to ensure that all nutritional needs are adequately met and growth is on target takes some education and effort on the part of the family meal planner (also known as Mom or Dad).”

“parents need to inform themselves on the special nutritional needs of their vegetarian children.”

I think I’ve made it pretty clear that I’ve done a LOT of research on this, and I feel very confident we can meet Cullen’s needs through a variety of food. This article actually describes all the ways that a vegetarian diet IS possible for children.

Kat     at 4:55 pm

I was eagerly waiting for this post. My daughter is 11 months old now and she has multiple food allergies which she was diagnosed with while breast fed.
I’ve been reading your foodie baby posts to get some inspiration, but we’re still behind with introductions. She started drinking coconut milk in addition to her hypoallergenic formula but I’d love to try hemp milk-hopefully she won’t be allergic to hemp, yikes…Please keep posting your foodie baby category, I really like it!

Kat     at 4:56 pm

Btw, Cullen is so adorable!!

Mamawass     at 9:06 am

Emily, this is such a helpful post! I have an almost 3 month old, so we are a ways away from introducing foods, but I’m glad to have you paving the way. Do you have any specific resources you’d recommend when introducing solids and meal planning for children?
Also, where is your diaper bag from? I love it! It appears not to be leather, I have a tough time finding cute vegan bags.

It’s from Lands End and I am OBSESSED with it! It’s called the Little Tripper Bag, and cost $13. Go get one! I’d check out Wholesome Baby Food – great website with food lists for different ages. Very helpful!

Pam     at 10:41 am

Love these posts, and would love to hear more on meal prep, the specific recipes you use for his breakfasts, dinners, smoothies, etc.! My little one is a pretty good eater but I feel like I need to change up her meals more often and have been wanting to offer some vegetarian options. Keep up the great work with your little guy, he’s adorable! :)

Claire     at 11:41 am

So impressed to read that you are still breast feeding, Emily. It’s so under-rated nowadays, even though some women cannot, my nurse says it’s so good if you are able to. Beautiful photos, Cullen looks so happy and healthy. x

elizabeth     at 1:27 pm

Is stevia bad for kids? I had couple stevia plants in my garden last summer that I used, along with fresh mint, to make tea.

Shelly     at 6:46 pm

Hi Emily — Would you mind sharing why you decided to go with hemp over goat milk? (I know you mentioned in an earlier post that goat milk was an option you were seriously considering.) My son is almost 9 months, so I’m starting to think about what he will transition to at 1. So far he’s done MUCH better with goat milk yogurt than cow milk yogurt, so I’m thinking seriously about goat milk at least at the beginning. Was it just an effort to avoid animal products as much as possible?

Brenda     at 8:03 pm

My little guy (Cullen’s birthday twin) is also a great, healthy eater (knock on wood). He chows down on a lot of the same foods Cullen eats. One trick I have found to get him to eat food he doesn’t like is to put coconut oil on it. As a bonus. it’s full of healthy fat. What are your thoughts on coconut oil and babies? Admittedly, I have done very little research on it.

Also, we have that same chair from the Land of Nod. After seeing it on Writing Chapter Three, I immediately went on the website and ordered it!

Christina     at 8:59 pm

That belly! Oh it gets me every time so cute. This goes up there as one of my absolute favorite posts.

I just found out they sell Field Roast products at my local Whole Foods. I am excited beyond words to try them. They also sell Upton’s brand seitan.

Marie     at 7:18 am

Wow, you are such an amazing mom! I definitely would have tried making my twins’ food earlier if I had resources like this before. They are five now and I started after they started eating real food but didn’t do Purées. The videos are so adorable!!! Love your blog; especially seeing you as a mom and Cullen, of course!

Emily     at 8:00 am

Hi Emily, thanks for these great ideas!! Just wondering – how do you and Cullen like the zo-li cup? Is it durable? Are there many leaks? I have twins and am on a sippy cup search :)

Sarah @ Kids Heart Real Food     at 7:41 pm

Great post Emily, as always. That video of him eating the apple is so so cute.
I like that you have such an easy-going attitude around his eating habits. You are doing a great job of balancing his nutritional requirements, yet following his lead.

Do you notice that Cullen likes something one day and then doesn’t like it the next? Tyson is just starting to get a bit pickier with what I feed him, and I’m hoping it’s just a phase. It’s hard not to get stressed out when he spits out the vegetables that he used to devour (how can he not like beets? Is he crazy? Lol) but I know that it takes consistent exposure to things before they learn to really like them so I’m not giving up!

Thanks for the info on the milk as well – this is something that I’m starting to think about too.

jessica     at 7:56 am

Hi Emily,
Would you mind posting which books / websites you read to get up to speed on nutrition requirements for vegan / vegetarian nutrition for cullen?

We’re starting down this journey and I’m struggling to find books to educate myself! thank you!

Sena     at 1:15 pm

This is such a helpful post, thank you so much for sharing! We are not a vegetarian family but are dabbling/exploring this avenue. We often eat meat-free anyway, but I try to make the most of the times when we do (organic, lean). Our daughter is just a little older than Cullen and is not a fan of meat so I definitely don’t push it, and she currently eats whole milk yogurt and flax milk as part of her staples. These ideas are so great because I feel like I’m in a rut with preparing her meals, making it nutritious, balanced, and still using the time for learning/exploring new tastes and textures! I also think the “foodie baby” section would be great, and don’t underestimate your “expertise” in this area, because your blogs about Cullen’s meals are super-helpful and inspiring! :)

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Foodie Baby: Gear & Goods     at 2:41 pm