A New Year.

What better way to kick off a new year than waking up on Tuesday and having it feel like Saturday?  We had no plans for the first day of 2013, so we slept in and all enjoyed a big breakfast of eggs and toast at the dining room table.  We usually eat standing up in the kitchen, so this was a pretty big accomplishment.

Even though it was still early, the sun was already starting to peek through the clouds.  We were both itching to do something outdoors and active.  A few quick text messages and an hour later, we found ourselves in St. Edwards State Park, meeting up with friends for a morning hike.

The park is just a few minutes from our house, but I haven’t been there since summer.  It had definitely been too long!  As our friends speedily hiked along, I brought up the rear as the annoying person taking pictures of all the scenery.  I couldn’t help myself.  Look at these mossy trees!  They were HUGE and so bright green.

Come ON, mom.

We hiked up and down, and made our way around to the water side of the trail.  So beautiful.

I slowed down and did a bit of a double-take when I saw this familiar log jutting out into the water…

Hard to believe just a few months ago, my sister and I were climbing out onto it on an 80 degree day.  Gives me hope that it will actually be warm again some day.

IMG_3800-480x6401

We hiked down to the water and all took a break to soak up the sun and the gorgeous views.

Check out how crazy adorable Cullen’s little friend is – I LOVE having a boy, but the little girl accessories just kill me.

Such a beautiful spot.  Something about water is so reenergizing and comforting to me, and it felt even more so with the hope of a new year ahead of us.

Summer family…

IMG_3794-481x640

Winter family!

Happy baby.

Would you believe that while we were down there we saw a group of people out WATER SKIING?  The water here in Seattle is freezing cold in the summer, so I can’t even imagine what the temperature is in January.  They had wet suits on, but I still think they are crazy.  And also, awesome.

At the end of the hour-ish hike, we let the wee ones stretch their legs at the playground.

And then Cullen got grumpy and hungry and cold, so we all headed home for lunch.  Leftover kale pasta, lentil loaf, and kimchee from the farmer’s market.

Cullen was a pasta fan.

One of my hopes for this year is to manage our time better so we eat more meals together – sitting down as a family.  As it is now, I eat breakfast and lunch with Cullen, but Casey and I usually have dinner together after he goes to sleep.  Not sure how to make this actually happen schedule-wise, but it’s a hope.

While Cullen took his nap, Casey and I had a rare lazy afternoon on the couch.  We watched The Town (one of my FAVORITE movies) and just enjoyed a few hours of doing absolutely nothing.  I found a late surge of motivation in the evening and decided to take down all our Christmas decorations.  But before I did, I had to snap a few pictures of our new ornaments this year.  My mom hand made these awesome ornaments for the family.  Huey dog…

And mischievous Indy…

And I about died when I saw this one.  She made a felt ornament of Cullen’s Halloween costume.  Cutest thing EVER!

Each year, Casey and I have a tradition of getting each other ornaments too.  Usually something meaningful or funny – something that reflects the past year.  I totally flopped and got Casey a stupid mercury glass ornament shaped like a C (booooring), but Casey knocked it out of the park.

Seriously.  So funny, and so frighteningly accurate.  While I took down decorations and tried to break Cullen of his new favorite game – chase me up the stairs – Casey treated me to a delicious dinner.  Kamut and white bean burgers that were off.the.hook.  This was our first time making them, and one of the first times working with kamut, so we’ll do it again and post a recipe soon.  Want to make sure it’s just right!

A big pile of sweet potato rounds on the side, eaten in front of a toasty fire.  So good.

So far, our year is off to a good start!  I know all the new year stuff is cheesy and over-hyped, but I don’t care.  I feel motivated, energized, and excited for a new year ahead.  I have a lot of posts in the works – resolutions, marinated mushrooms, and Cullen’s long overdue 14 month update.  Coming soon!

A quick note:  I’ve had quite a few comments, emails, and Facebook mentions that some of you were/are having issues with the site.  Most problems seem to be happening with Firefox users.  I’ve made some coding changes and deleted the top bar ad (that I think was the problem…), so hopefully you are seeing improvements now!  Please let me know if the site is still freezing, redirecting, or giving you weird pop up ads – none of those things should be happening – yuck!  Thanks for your patience.

Elise     at 8:23 am

Seattle is so beautiful every time of the year! I want to visit there so much. Can’t wait for more posts from you. Been waiting for some new recipes.

Carly @ Snack Therapy     at 8:23 am

Your posts make me want to visit Seattle… Or just find some good hiking spots in my own town! I love Cullen’s little hat. Bundled up babies are the best!

Tammy Root     at 8:39 am

Wow! Your mom is one talented lady! Love the ornaments! She could start her own business. :)

Sarah G Reply:

Ditto!

Heather     at 8:58 am

What hiking backpack do you use for Cullen? Do you recommend it?

We have the Osprey Poco – really like it so far! No complaints!

Elizabeth     at 9:18 am

That kale pasta looks delicious – here’s hoping that you’ll be able to post the recipe for that one!

Heather     at 9:25 am

I succumbed to the New Year hype as well, sigh. It’s so hard! No resolutions though, just ‘better myself’ goals.

Marissa     at 9:26 am

Happy New Year! It is highly likely that the water skiers you saw were my cousins. They are crazy and live right across the lake from St. Edward’s.

Too funny, Marissa. They looked like they were having fun!

Shannan     at 9:33 am

Ooooh, Cullen’s hat is killing me!! It’s too cute. I am always looking for a good Kale recipe. I may have to look into that pasta, yum!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 9:36 am

I don’t know – it looks pretty warm in Seattle right now. :) I’d love to be seeing some green moss but we won’t get any greenery until April now – maybe March but even then it’ll be more like a dull army green.

Looks like a fun and relaxing day! Those kamut burgers look interesting – looking forward to seeing how to make them.

Haha I know I know. Temperature is all relative. Definitely not bad here compared to other places!

Amy     at 9:42 am

That Survivor ornament is too funny! It’s nice to see there are other super fans out there (sometimes I think my slight obsession is crazy). I thought this last season was great :) Cheers to a new year and many more seasons!

YES! This was such a good season! I actually KNOW someone who is on next season, which makes it that much more exciting. Can’t wait.

Elizabeth     at 10:01 am

You make Seattle sound so inviting, even though I know the days are so short and the sun rarely shines. Those kamut burgers sound delightful and I love the ornaments! And your blog is one I’ll definitely continue to read in 2013!! Cheers :)

Thanks Elizabeth!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries     at 10:34 am

What a great way to kick off the New Year! It looked like it was a beautiful day. I’m slightly jealous considering the temps have been in the SINGLE digits the last few days with lots of snow. Blech!

Meagan     at 10:42 am

Emily I use Firefox and have been having no issues! And maybe you’ll have a baby girl next!

Happy to hear it – thanks Meagan! I’d be happy with another boy. They are way too much fun. :)

Katie @ Sereniy in the Storm     at 10:54 am

The white bean/kamut burgers sound great. Kamut is probably my favorite grain! So sweet and nutty and chewy. Yum!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 11:03 am

I too stand at the counter and eat. Mostly because I’m trying to multitask! We do sit down and eat dinner as a family but I’m working on the other meals as well. Meal time is supposed to be an enjoyable event… Having kids kind of makes that difficult ;)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 11:24 am

I know you hear this a lot, but Cullen really is the sweetest little thing. And all your posts make me want to move to Seattle after I graduate law school this spring!

afarmerinthedell.com     at 11:26 am

Glad you guys got out for a nice wintery hike! can’t wait for the recipe for the burgers! yum

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 11:52 am

Our kids are now 2.5 yrs old. We didn’t think they’d still like their packs but we ventured out for a snowshoe hike and they loved it! Hiking is such a great way to get out and get some fresh air.

Army Amy*     at 12:08 pm

What a great start to the year! And I’m dying over how cute Cullen’s winter hat is!*

Lee     at 12:22 pm

Cute ornaments. Is Survivor still on?!

Um Lee, of COURSE it is still on! You are missing out. :)

Candice     at 12:23 pm

What a beautiful hike! I would kill to have that kind of scenery here! I’m looking forward to the burger recipe – my husband is on a kick of trying all different kinds of veggie burgers, and this one looks amazing!

Candice! So fun to see your name pop up here. Hope things are going well! :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}     at 12:26 pm

Your winter hike looks awesome! And I LOVE The Town, too. Glad you got your year off to such a great start!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 12:37 pm

Love the felt ornaments your mom made! It actually looks like Cullen’s cute little baby belly!

Lara     at 12:47 pm

Great photos–I love our city! Question: Is that the OXO high chair? I am shopping around right now and comparing them all. Are you happy with it? Any complaints?

Yep, Oxo Tot Sprout. I absolutely love it. Only complaint is the price. :) Really easy to use by myself – tray comes off with one hand, which is CRITICAL.

Lara Reply:

Thanks!

Liz     at 1:31 pm

Two great posts in a row! I love seeing the activities you do around Seattle (since I hope to move there at some point and all your great pictures are inspiring!).

I would love to hear more about what it’s like to live on the Eastside versus Seattle proper if you ever feel like writing additional posts about it. It sounds like you guys really loved Fremont, but the new area looks beautiful too.

I think I’m still deciding how I feel about the Eastside… :)

Carly     at 1:32 pm

Love these pics! So much fun to get out and hike with you guys – definitely a New Year’s Day tradition!
XOXO

Yay, such a great time! :)

Janna @ RantingRose     at 2:44 pm

it’s the simple things! looks like such a lovely and restful day

Anna @ On Anna's Plate     at 3:04 pm

Bahaha…that ornament of Cullen’s halloween costume is too cute.

Beautiful hike!! We were in Seattle the week before Christmas visiting my husband’s family, but the weather was too crummy to get outside– I hate that!

Christine     at 4:06 pm

I’m still trying to figure out how to eat more as a family. On the weekends we make sure to have breakfast and dinner together, but it’s tough during the week. I keep trying though!

Tara     at 4:35 pm

I’m a Firefox person and am still having major issues:( (Right now I’m on Safari.) It freezes the entire internet and I have to do a manual restart of the computer. It makes me scared to go to the site and I love your site!

I have heard this complain from a few people, but others are telling me that it is now resolved. Hoping it stops freezing your site soon. I am so frustrated, and so sorry!

Kelly     at 5:32 pm

Wow, I can’t believe people were waterskiing! I mean the weather doesn’t look terrible there, but yikes! Glad you guys got outside and did some hiking, cute pictures!

One thing that I’ve learned since I was born and raised in the Pacific NW is that you will always find people doing “Summer” things year-round.

My favorite thing is the Jeff Foxworthy bit “you know you’re from Oregon…” and one of my favorite things is “if you think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists, you live in Oregon.”

Haha I totally use an umbrella. Who likes to get wet!?!

Amber K Reply:

The general consensus here is “eh, it’s just a little moisture” or as my mom would always say “you’re not sugar, you won’t melt.” lol

Carley     at 9:12 pm

This past weekend while in Seattle I saw some people water skiing too!! Agreed that it’s crazy but oh so awesome!!

katy     at 10:16 pm

I love the ornament of cullen’s costume – so stinkin’ cute!!!

Anne     at 6:14 am

Had big problems with your blog couple days ago, stopped reading it for 5-6 days to be sure, I use firefox, and now it’s ok. But I’ve never experienced that with a blog, my computer froze…

Thanks for letting me know! I have no idea what the Firefox issues are, but glad to know it’s resolved for you. Other people have said the same thing – computer freezing. So strange! And welcome back. :)

Leah     at 6:34 am

1. I love winter hikes (but normally here it’s 3F out and I’m in snowshoes).
2. Awesome that you love such a great Boston movie (one of the best cities in the US next to Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, and New York, in my opinion).
3. The ornaments = love!
4. Did I mention how much I love winter hikes (versus the people that sit indoors and complain how long a New England winter is). :)

Jan     at 8:50 am

I was having trouble with your site; wouldn’t load properly, wouldn’t let me close the browser window, etc. After I updated Firefox and restarted my Mac this morning the problems seem to have resolved. Yay!

Dina     at 8:53 am

I totally love reading your blog each and every post. I enjoy you sharing your days and your family. The way you share things is great. And the food is always something I would try and eat. Thank you.God bless you.

Ravyn     at 9:19 am

Happy New Year to you!! Looks like you guys had an awesome start … Here’s to 2013! :)

Ann     at 5:43 pm

FYI: For me, the site still doesn’t load correctly in Firefox but it no longer crashes.
Happy new year!

Courtney@Translating Nutrition     at 4:17 am

Looks like a great way to celebrate the new year! On the meals together idea, the French model may be worth a shot: breakfast at 7-8, lunch at 1ish, a snack (mini-meal) at 4pm, and dinner at 7pm. That 4pm snack seems to be the key in keeping kids full until the family dinner time.

Gabrielle     at 5:58 pm

Thanks for fixing your site – I had to take a break because it was causing me to have to restart Firefox every time I navigated to your page, and the page itself would never load. Happy to be able to visit and catch up! Love your ornaments – your mom is great, very talented! :)