A Week of Workouts.

Many apologies for all the crazy issues with DG this week!  Many of you experienced site crashes, bad redirects, and malware warnings.  Casey and I worked on it all week, and finally found the fix.  Hope all of the issues are finally resolved!  Thanks so much for all the emails, and for your patience.  Here’s what we were up to this week, in case you missed it:

It’s the W-word.  Something you haven’t seen here in quite some time!  I never like to write about something when it’s still new and I’m just getting started.  I like to wait and see if something sticks, in case I change my mind a week later.

Back when I was in the thick of babyhood, and struggling with finding any sort of time for myself, many of you often suggested I get up “early” to find extra time to work or workout.  And that is a great suggestion – unless your baby wakes up at 5:30am.  I know there are moms who get up at 4am and run on treadmills.  I think they are awesome, and slightly insane.

But somewhere around his first birthday, Cullen became a super sleeper.  I’m sort of afraid to talk about it.  He sleeps through the night and beyond, not waking up now until usually around 8am.  Sometimes if he goes til 8:30, I’ll have to wake him up.  It’s crazy.  It’s wonderful.

When he first started sleeping through the night, I slept along with him.  He was my alarm and if he wasn’t getting up until 8am, why should I?  But Casey gets up really early for work – usually 5:30am, in order to catch a 6:30 bus.  So he was needing to go to bed early, while I was a total night owl since I was sleeping in later.  Our schedules were way off.  It only took a few weeks before I realized I had this huge gift of TIME suddenly available in the early mornings.  And so a new schedule and routine were born.

These days I’m in bed by 9:30 (ten at the latest), so I can get up at 5:30am when the alarm goes off.  It sounds early, but it’s really not hard to get up as long as you go to bed early enough.  Some of the days I’m getting up and working out right away, and then on others I’m taking a rest day and working the whole time (which is why you’ve started seeing posts earlier in the day!).

I’m feeling really motivated to workout and be active, and I’m already feeling much healthier and more energetic.  I’m doing a big variety of different things, which is keeping it interesting and fun.  Here is what this week looked like, in workouts:

Saturday – Running

Planned to run around Greenlake with Casey (and the stroller), but it started raining as soon as we got there, so we took Cullen to the zoo (indoor playgym) instead.  When we got home, Cullen went down for a nap, and Casey and I took turns alternating running out in our neighborhood.  I have no idea why this took us so long.  It felt awesome, and I covered about 3.5 miles total (and took a few walking breaks up giant hills).  I came back and found this smiley monkey was up from his nap.

Our neighborhood is CRAZY hilly, and I always complain that it’s too hard to run near our house.  Now that I’ve gotten out there a bit more, I’m actually really liking it.  The uphill sucks, but the downhill provides some relief, and I can run a few different short loops and mix them up as I like.  There are also AMAZING views of the mountains and water.  Nothing better.

2013-01-03 13.23.54

Sunday – Barre3 Fitness Class

A few months ago (November, maybe?) I tried out a Barre3 class with one of the nice women from Barre3 corporate.  She and I had been emailing for over a year, and she finally convinced me to give the class a try.  She treated me to the class, and Cullen to childcare.  How could I say no?

I didn’t write about it because I had only done it once, and wanted to give it another chance.  So this weekend I headed down to the Kirkland studio for my second class.

2013-01-06 15.53.57

I know I am seriously out of shape, but HOLY CRAP.  This class completely kicked my ass.  In a good way, of course.  Barre3 is all about micro-movents – holding postures and moving up and down just an inch or so at a time.  It is crazy hard.  The instructor kept saying “go with that shake!” as I was wobbling and my muscles were twitching and shaking out of control.  I was sore until Tuesday.  Can’t wait to do this again!

Monday was a much needed rest day, although I did take Cullen and the pups for a long walk around the neighborhood.

Tuesday – Jillian Michaels DVD

I know, I know.  Jillian is like so 2009, right?  Well that’s probably when I got this video.  I don’t remember.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Casey and I are working out together, and he’s taking a later bus into work.  We had planned to do a different DVD, but it didn’t come in time, so we did this instead.

It is very cardio-heavy, and I was sweating and out of breath by the end.  We push our coffee table off to the side, and do the workout together in the living room.  In a former life, working out together was something I really enjoyed, but that hasn’t been possible for a while.  Now it is!

Wednesday was another rest day.  I got up early to work, and spent a lot of time trying to fix all the recent bugs on the site.

Thursday – New York City Ballet workout

When I first started talking about the Barre3 classes, I told Casey that they were a lot different from what I originally expected.  I thought they would be more like yoga with some ballet elements, but it’s actually much more like strength training.  As our conversation continued, we got to wondering what actual ballet dancers do for strength and core workouts.  We found the NYC Ballet workout series on YouTube, and tried it out a few times before ordering this.

We did the first hour-long series on Thursday, and I loved it.  There is a lot of core work and stretching, mixed in with all sorts of fun ballet that I remember from childhood.  I’ve never really been into workout videos before, but my inner ballerina had a lot of fun with this one.  Casey liked it too!

I took Friday off, since I had a lot of work to do and wanted to use my extra time in the morning catching up.  It feels great to be back into a routine, and so far I’m loving my early morning schedule.  Now that I have more time to get things done in the morning, I am a lot less stressed about squeezing everything into nap time.

Another fun perk about being back into a fitness groove?  New workout gear!  I almost never ever do any sponsored stuff here on DG (in fact, I honestly can’t remember the last time I did), but I got a chance to try some of Old Navy’s new active line (currently 40% off!), and I couldn’t resist.

IMG_0683 (427x640) (427x640)

I have never been a fan of tight workout shirts.  They always make me feel really self conscious, and I find them to be the opposite of motivating.  Especially now after having a baby, I appreciate a looser, more forgiving fit.  I was excited to find this tie-waist bubble tank.  So flattering!

IMG_0688 (424x640) (424x640)

I also got the striped bubble active tank – same idea.  The pants are compression capris, and were a great deal – just $15.

IMG_0690 (426x640) (426x640)

I had $50 to spend, so I also tossed in this sports bra since it was only $8.  I just grabbed it off the rack when I was headed to the fitting room, and didn’t pay attention to the signs.  I laughed when I looked it up online and saw that it was the padded sports bra.  Now that I’m done breastfeeding, my boobs are totally deflated, so a little padding probably can’t hurt.

IMG_0695 (640x427) (640x427)

So far my new year’s resolutions are off to a good start!  A new schedule, a new workout routine and commitment, and some new gear to give an extra boost of motivation.

Wrapping up the week over on Babble – in case you missed it!

This post is sponsored by Old Navy. Check out Old Navy’s Active wear in stores or at oldnavy.com #GetYourActiveON

Maria     at 8:43 pm

So funny how on the same page we have been about things—our babies were just a few weeks apart. We both started out strong getting back into running after our babies were born and then definitely tapered off at the end of 2012. Well, 2013 has been a totally different story for me too. I feel super motivated to get that part of my life back, and I signed up for a half-marathon March 16 to keep me motivated. I’m nervous but excited! I think mostly I feel really motivated to get back into great shape before we think about baby number 2. We’ll see if I can keep it up…ha!

Elena     at 9:02 pm

I love Old Navy athletic gear- it makes up easily 3/4 of my workout wardrobe.

I’d love to hear more about running in a hilly neighborhood. Mine is as well (as is pretty much all of Puget Sound), and even the supposedly “flat” stretch I tried out today had an incredibly long, slow rise. As someone getting back into a running routine (not that I ever had much of one, just eeking out a few 5ks about a year ago that I trained for in flat parts of the country), it’s a little distressing to feel hemmed in by my location.

Joelle (on a pink typewriter)     at 9:02 pm

Old DVD or not, Jillian’s still effective (and an animal of a trainer!). :)

Leah Reply:

“Body weight training it’s where it’s at” (Jillian in her Power Yoga DVD–$8 at Target)

Jenny     at 9:12 pm

Hmm, maybe I should get one of those bras! After breast feeding 4 babies I definitely have the deflated boob thing going on. Lol.

Marissa     at 9:49 pm

Good for you for working out! I feel guilty for taking time to myself to exercise but it really is key for my mental health. I found my old bras and I am so scared for when our breadtfeeding journey is over. They all look so small! Lol :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy     at 10:07 pm

I have Jillian’s No More Trouble Zones DVD, which is great strength training and sweat inducing at home workout. Also love fitnessistas circuit workouts. Way to get back on the workout train!

Emily     at 10:11 pm

Oh Emily,

You are honestly my favorite blogger – so honest and so relatable. I’m not a mom or even a wife, but yet I have found you relatable for about 2 years now.

Keep up the great work, I’m curious to see where this blog will take you in the future. Do you have any other projects in mind outside the blog and babble??

Marina Reply:

I completely agree with this! She is the best and totally relatable. I also have no kids or husband, but find her amazing and so fun to read.

Michelle@Peachy Palate     at 2:39 am

Nice mix of workouts and love the new workout gear! Wish we had Old Navy in Ireland!

Erica     at 4:07 am

I also got to try out some of the Old Navy Active line this week and was really surprised by how high quality it all is. Congrats on an incredible week of workouts!

Kris     at 4:46 am

Hi Emily, just curious, what time does Cullen go to bed now that he’s sleeping in so late? I have a toddler that still wakes up at 5:30am and I’m trying to figure out his to get him to sleep a little longer. Thanks!

Simply Life     at 4:59 am

oh that’s so fun that you did the ballet workout- I would never think about trying that but I imagine it’s a blast (and a really great way to get exercise too)!

Tricia     at 5:43 am

I’ve been to a Barre3 studio and it totally kicked my butt too! And I’m a barre junkie! So just so ya know, it’s hard for everyone! Glad you’re getting workouts in. I realized that early mornings were my only shot a workout when my youngest was around 1. Been working out at 5am, 6 days a week for 3 years now. It works out great!

Gauri     at 6:55 am

If you like barre you have to try physique 57!!

Elise     at 6:57 am

Glad you’re getting back into fitness! I love reading your running posts. Hoping for more!

Amy     at 7:45 am

I love Old Navy compression pants too — my favorite running tights for sure!

And as for hills … my neighborhood is super hilly too, and I used to never run from my house. My sister eventually told me to just suck it up and stop trying to avoid the hills (I live in a really hilly town as it is) — and really, I barely even notice them anymore, and they’re made me a better, stronger runner. Pretty soon you’ll be running up and down those hills without a second thought. Keep us posted!

Crystal     at 9:46 am

Love that Old Navy tank top! I actually just bought a couple, too…I’m pregnant right now, and was looking for a top that was loose and comfy, and one I could wear after the baby as well that wouldn’t make me feel self-conscious. Wore it yesterday while I did a pregnancy work out DVD and it was perfect. Sounds like you have a great work-out schedule set up! If you are looking for some other good DVDs, I really like Tracey Mallet (I think that’s how it’s spelled). I’ve been doing her Fit For Pregnancy circuit workouts and really like them, and before I got pregnant, I was doing her barre workouts…hard but great! I got them used on Amazon for pretty cheap and really enjoy her as a trainer/instructor.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 10:03 am

Early morning workouts are what keeps me going! It’s super crazy that I don’t even need an alarm to get up at 4:30 to run or do a basement workout. I actually found another mom who runs with me at 5 a.m. a few days a week. It’s the best time for moms to get their workouts in before the day gets crazy!

Christina     at 10:12 am

not another ON post…*headdesk*

Leah Reply:

Once you find a workout clothing line that works with your body type you stick with it. I happen to *love* the brand Moosejaw and also Lucy (when it’s on sale). Gap yoga pants are also great!

Stephanie     at 10:42 am

I have that same Jillian Michaels workout DVD! It’s awesome and kicks my butt every time :)

Elizabeth     at 10:51 am

I’m always hesitant to talk about things too, just in case they don’t stick. :) Love that you and Casey are finding time to be active… I’m sure it’s a hard balance!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate     at 11:19 am

Old Navy should have spaced out these promotion posts a little bit more– I feel like I’ve been reading about it nonstop for days.

Not your fault, obviously– and maybe I’m just jealous because I seem to be the only blogger on planet earth who didn’t get some Old Navy gear. ;-)

Glad you’re getting back into working out– it really does bring SO much sanity back into the world!! My girl is 9 months right now, and I’m trying to get back into working out in a regular way. It’s taken me a while to realize that I need to schedule it in and plan in advance what I’m going to do, or it JUST doesn’t happen. So different from pre-baby…but then, everything is, isn’t it? ;-)

Carley     at 11:29 am

That inspires me to start trying different workouts now!!

afarmerinthedell.com     at 1:47 pm

So happy you are getting into a good workout routine! It really does make a huge difference to be active in the Northwest winter months. Otherwise, it’s just a loooong depressing winter. I too am a huge fan of Barre3! They don’t have a studio in Hood River, OR where we live, but I do the at home workouts online. It kicks my butt every time! I love it!

Suzanne H     at 2:15 pm

I love Barre3 too! I do the online workouts and I also have the DVD (came with the ball). They’re all awesome, difficult workout. I love them!

Betty     at 3:53 pm

cracks me up – you’re back to living on eastern time !

Christine     at 5:09 pm

I’ve been wondering how you’ve been fitting it all in…working out, blogging, and being a busy mom. You’ve totally given me the motivation to get up and get going!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 5:36 pm

I was going to order that striped tank top today but didn’t. Now I’ve got to have it :)

Emily S     at 6:17 pm

really enjoyed this post! So glad you do workout DVDs – I love them! And as a busy mama, they are great to do during the little one’s nap time!

Angela     at 10:32 pm

I’ve always wanted to try barre3 classes but I was too nervous!! Now that I moved to the middle of nowhere that’s not an option to go to a class…but maybe I’ll try an online version.

Coco     at 4:02 am

What a great bunch of different workouts! Great job!

Leah     at 6:53 am

Emily, I’ve been taking a barre class since early November. I take one per week. I love it–but last week I hurt my back in class (oww). I also love Jillian Michael’s power yoga DVD (two 1/2 hour workouts). I have a love hate relationship with her (love the DVD, but she kicks my butt).

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 7:45 am

I love trying out new-to-me workout classes! It definitely helps when you’re excited about working out. I’m checking out a new yoga studio this week! Great job finding some extra time for you :)

katie     at 7:59 am

Ahh! Those barre classes are AMAZING and soo fun. I miss them!

Dalia     at 8:01 am

Yay! I’m glad your site is fixed. I was totally bummed…. Saw you on Top Chef before I read your post. It was pretty cool. I’m jelly :D

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 8:25 am

I’m a total workout video junkie, and because of them, I have run out of excuses. Jillian is definitely a stand-by, as well as barre videos. It definitely helps to take a barre class before doing barre videos in order to get the posture right at home!!

Mary     at 9:55 am

I love Old Navy workout clothes too! When I workout 1-2 a day every day, it’s great to have enough crop tights to get me through the week without having to do a bazillion loads of laundry. And, they’re very affordable…so I can save my precious lulu crops for special weekend workouts or long runs. Last time I was there I bought an extra 4 pair of their black compression crops. I don’t have any grey ones yet – they look really cute on you! Time to go shopping!

Marie     at 11:42 am

I love DVD workouts!! I’ve completed 2 rounds of Insanity and am working through a P90X/Insanity hybrid right now. I’m curious to see if you and Casey are going to try one of these 2!!
I love hearing about what DVDs work for other people, always nice to change up the rotation a bit!

Nicole     at 12:15 pm

Nice work, Emily! So happy to see you’ve found a fitness routine that works with your new lifestyle. Helpful too, as I’m 6 months pregnant and already thinking of how I will navigate fitting fitness into my schedule once the baby arrives.

Sarah G     at 12:43 pm

Go Emily! Go Emily! Go, Go, Go Emily!!! Rock that body — you are awesome :)

Elisabeth     at 1:45 pm

Sorry to hear about Casey’s grandma (read it on Babble) :(

Lara     at 4:15 pm

You look fantastic! I love barre classes but wish they weren’t so pricey.

Sherisse     at 6:16 am

I love old navy work out gear too! So far, I’ve only bought the pants and sports bras. Thanks for modelling some tops for us, I think I could go for those as they aren’t form fitting, as you said. Have fun with your new fitness plan, you look amazing btw!

alex     at 3:41 pm

I agree, I had tight workout shirts. this looks super flattering. thanks for the tip!

Michelle @ From Seed To Tree     at 3:52 pm

Absolutely LOOOVE the pictures of Cullen falling into the laundry basket. So cute!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Working It Out.     at 8:50 am

[...] flight on Tuesday didn’t leave until the afternoon, so Casey and I got up early for another date with Jillian.  I also got another chance to test out my new Old Navy compression [...]

nike free run 3     at 5:01 pm

I really like it whenever people come together and share views.

Great website, continue the good work!

Berichte aus dem Bereich Camping     at 4:17 pm

Fine way of explaining, and fastidious piece of writing to get data on
the topic of my presentation subject, which i am going to convey in university.

http://shoebuycouponcodes.com     at 12:59 am

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though
you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking
about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something
enlightening to read?

smart circle     at 10:12 am

Hi there to every single one, it’s in fact a pleasant for me to pay a quick visit this site, it
contains useful Information.

dimagrire acai     at 3:05 am

I like the helpful info you supply to your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check once more here frequently.
I’m slightly certain I’ll learn many new stuff right here!
Good luck for the following!

deathly hallows necklaces     at 5:40 pm

deathly hallows necklaces…

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » A Week of Workouts….

gas safe certificate     at 10:59 pm

What’s up to all, it’s in fact a nice for me to pay a visit this web page, it consists of important Information.

Article     at 2:28 pm

Very soon this web page will be famous among all blogging
visitors, due to it’s good articles