Saying Goodbye to 2012.

I took so much time off from writing over the holidays, that now I feel a million weeks behind.  I’m going to skip a lot of stuff and not bother showing you things we did two weeks ago, because that would be weird.  So instead, here are the highlights of how we spent the end of 2012.

We had family in town for almost two weeks, which was awesome.  On the very last day with our last guests, we all headed to the Experience Music Project – a museum here in Seattle that pays tribute to local music history, as well as rotating national exhibits.  I’m sure it comes as no surprise that there is a pretty incredibly Nirvana exhibit.

I wasn’t sure how Cullen would do at an adult museum, but he ended up loving it.  He loves music, and he loved running around in all the wide open spaces and jamming to the beats.

It was our last day with Casey’s parents, and it was a great way to spend it.  We are missing them so much already!

Sunday was our first day just the three of us, and while I missed our families a lot, it also felt good to get back to our normal family routine.

The sun was out and the temps were reasonable, so we headed to our favorite Ballard market in search of some fresh produce.  Our fridge was totally emptied after many holiday meals for a big group, so we needed to replenish the fresh stuff immediately.

We found a few good deals and then headed out, hoping to squeeze in a local lunch before naptime.

When we lived in Fremont (sniff), we went to Homegrown sandwich shop all the time.  We decided to venture up the hill to Queen Anne and try another location for a quick lunch.  I was totally bummed to find that my favorite sandwich – roasted beet – was off the menu.  Sobs.  But this delicious egg and avocado sandwich with hot sauce helped ease the pain.

Casey shared his seasonal squash sandwich with a hungry mooch (who also had his own lunch he could eat).

Once we got home and Cullen was snoozing, I unloaded our market goodies.

Bok choy!!  I absolutely love bok choy, and I’m so excited that it’s in season right now.  I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with this yet, but I’m guessing it will be some sort of rice bowl dish to go along with our favorite blackened tofu

Shiitakes!  Another huge favorite.  I am a mushroom maniac.  We cook huge batches of sautéed mushrooms several times a week, and whenever I post pictures I get asked for the recipe on Instagram.  I promise I’ll do it soon – just need to find time to cook them during daylight so I can take decent photos!  These were only $6 for a pint, which is a steal of this type of mushroom.  I had to restrain myself and only buy one.

A mixed bag of loose kale – several different varieties.  This bag was only $5, and we like getting flat kale varieties for making raw kale salads.  It is a bit less hearty than the curly kale!

We also scored this giant 5 pound bag of various root vegetables for $7.50.  It’s a mixture of carrots, parsnips, beets, turnips, and I’m not sure what else.  I think my plan is to clean and trim all the veggies, and then roast them all in my dutch oven together with lots of olive oil and rosemary.  Mmmmm I can smell it now.

Whenever anyone asked me if we had New Year’s Eve plans this year, I just sort of laughed.  We didn’t even bother trying to get a babysitter, and I was very content to ring in 2013 in my sweatpants.  But then it turned out that we did actually have plans!

We rung in our new year with friends at 4pm.  :)  Our friends Nicki and Rick had us over along with some of our other favorite parents and babies.  The adults ate delicious food and drank bubbly things while the babies ran around and threw coasters at each other.  Nicki and Rick made an amazing spread of food – I believe all the recipes were from The Conscious Cook.  Tasty lentil crostinis with goat cheese spread…

Twice baked fingerling potatoes with paprika and chives, mmmmm.

Double chocolate pecan cookies – SO GOOD.

And marinated mushrooms with fresh herbs – these were a HIT!

I also brought a big bowl of “cheesy” pasta salad with kale and raisins.  I might make this again and post a recipe for you guys – it was good!

Fancy New Year’s Eve spread.  So fun to celebrate with friends!

The babies also enjoyed all the fingers foods.

Back at home, we celebrated the last of this year’s holiday season.  It has definitely been one to remember!

We talked about New Year’s celebrations of past, and remembered the parties, the sparkly dresses, and all the crazy things we did when were younger.  Like the year that I wore hair extensions (why did this ever happen?).  Or the year that Casey fell through a closed door and landed in a pile of trashcans on the other side (you had to be there…). The memories were good, and I’m definitely glad we have some wilder years to look back on.  But the present is pretty good too, and I wouldn’t change a thing.

We finished up 2012, all cozied up on the floor together, watching Cullen literally laugh himself into the ground.  He was the party animal this year! (Sorry the video is long – no time to edit this morning!)

Hope 2013 is treating you well already!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries     at 8:16 am

I’m so glad you guys had such a great time with family. We don’t live near family either, so I know how much I always cherish those moments! I absolutely love that photo of Casey & Cullen walking hand in hand with their beanies on! So stinkin’ cute! I’ve already decided our little man will definitely have lots of beanies and puffy vests. ;)

Erin @ WholesomeRD     at 8:23 am

Happy New Year! OMG that video of Cullen made me crack up so much! So cute!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 8:23 am

I think generally most children respond well to music – maybe because parents sing songs or play music for their kids to put them to sleep and they find it soothing? I remember when my youngest brother was a tot, any time ANY kind of music came on, he’d stop immediately whatever he was doing, and then do this hilarious semi-squat as his attempt to “dance”. It was the cutest thing ever.

Happy New Year Emily!

Madison @ E&C     at 8:31 am

My goodness Cullen is getting big! It looks like you guys had a great end to 2012. I was just proud of myself for (barely) making it to midnight. :)

Morgan     at 8:39 am

I am so excited that bok choy is in season now too! I love it stir frys and soups…yummm :) That video of Cullen is cracking me up..his giggles are contagious.

Kim LaChance     at 8:50 am

Em…Connor watched the video of Cullen with me and he was cracking up! Between the two of them, I was laughing, too. Made our morning!

Erin     at 8:52 am

Please do post that cheesy pasta salad recipe! Sounds delicious! Happy new year!

eep     at 8:52 am

I am sure it has been noted before, but your father-in-law is very handsome.

Ashleigh     at 9:21 am

Yes…please post that pasta recipe. Looks yummy!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 9:43 am

Looks like you had a fabulous ending to a fantastic year! congrats!! xo

Katie @ Sereniy in the Storm     at 10:04 am

Yum! We just had a huge meal of local Seattle roasted root veggies the other night with rosemary and olive oil. It hit the spot!

Tricia     at 10:13 am

Casey is such a good Daddy!!! I love that you both get down on the floor with Cullen and let him explore!!!!

Leah     at 10:18 am

We went to the SciFi museum next to the music one–so much fun! :)

Your New Years looked perfect. Food and friends–no need for an expensive night on the town.

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna     at 10:32 am

that egg and avocado sandwich looks delicious! not to mention all that food at the party – how fun!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}     at 10:33 am

Love your farmer’s market haul! We only have monthly farmer’s markets here in Salt Lake during the winter… this just reminded me that I will have to check the January one out!

Beth Lombardi     at 10:35 am

That video of Cullen is the cutest! Made me laugh! I’m glad you got to spend such a long amount of time with your family. It’s really nice, especially since they don’t live close to you. Please share that cheesy pasta salad, it looks pretty good!

mollie     at 11:11 am

oh my, that video was the cutest!! happy new year!

Michelle@Peachy Palate     at 11:19 am

Happy New Year! I’m such a huge shitake and oyster mushroom fan…so expensive in Ireland and only one wholefood store in the near vicinity you can get them! So good! Definitely post the pasta recipe, looks and sounds incredible..pasta and kale = a winner!

Heather (Heather's Dish)     at 11:30 am

I love those shots of you and Cullen at the end – such a beautiful mama and happy baby!

Jessica     at 11:40 am

OMG, he is SO cute in that video!
I am very jealous of your farmer’s markets. I live in the middle of nowhere in Iowa and our access to fresh foods is pathetic.
Did you cut of a bunch of hair? It looks great!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 12:02 pm

What a fun way to ring in the new year! Cullen cracks me up. He always looks so happy in his pictures. We definitely rang in 2013 from our living room after a full day of football. It was laid back but fun! :)

jen     at 12:13 pm

omg…the spinning and face planting 3 minutes in just made my afternoon.

Debbi Fair     at 12:32 pm

Happy New Year to you and yours. I love your blog both the cooking but Cullen’s adventures have been great. You and Casey are remarkable parents. It is hard being away from family but with friends it helps.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 12:59 pm

It’s funny how much a “good time” has changed over the years. My hubby and I were just laughing at our wild antics in our prekids days. I much prefer the low key family fun instead of late night shenanigans. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Jessica     at 1:09 pm

Where is your sweater from?? Love it.

Mika     at 1:22 pm

Cullen is exactly 364 days older than my son, Nate. I so enjoy reading your blog and watching Cullen’s antics. Although I cherish every moment of Nate’s young life, I look at Cullen and anxious await viewing Nate run himself silly next Christmas. Thank you for sharing your recipes and your life.

Kristy     at 1:33 pm

Loved the video! I’ve never watched one of your videos (sorry). Because I read your blog to myself, I was surprised at the accent! I know, I know! I’m aware you are American, but it still surprised me :) Happy new year, I hope it’s as adventurous as the last (and ONLY in a good way!)
Kristy :)

Tara     at 1:38 pm

I recognize those nighttime crazies! We have a son the same age and he gets like that right before bed. It’s like they have to get the last bits of energy out. Too cute!

Kelly     at 1:40 pm

I’m reserving that book at the library as we speak! Lentil crostini, yummmm!

PS. Bok Choy is really good grilled too. Not sure if you use your grill in the winter but worth a try!

Amber     at 1:57 pm

Me and my little family love the Ballard farmer’s market too! Whenever we have out of towners we always take them to our favorite local market. Love that it’s open all year!

Happy New Year!

Jolene (Homespun Heritage)     at 2:21 pm

So stinking cute! Loved the video at the end, thank you for sharing! Cuteness overload of the evening!

Lee     at 2:30 pm

My definition of a fun New Year’s has definitely changed through the years too. I used to be all about going to the craziest parties and now I’m perfectly content in sweatpants on the couch!

Kelsey     at 2:33 pm

Your new years party looks like it was so much fun! What a good idea to celebrate early in the day. And the video of Cullen is too cute. Can’t wait to see you guys again soon!

Angie @ Losing It and Loving It     at 3:20 pm

Adorable video! He is so cute. We spent New Year’s Eve with my stepson and his girlfriend, we invited them to celebrate our NYE anniversary dinner with us. It was fun! Then we went home and got into PJ’s. I almost couldn’t make it to midnight but I pushed through lol

Can’t believe I ever stayed out to the wee hours partying it up.

Ashley     at 3:24 pm

Great post. What was the name of your diaper bag (the one in your picture on this post)? I know you mentioned it on another post, but I don’t know how to search for it.

Lands End Little Tripper bag!

Erin     at 3:29 pm

OMG–that video should be required viewing for anyone in a bad mood! HYSTERICAL!!! Such unbridled joy! Thanks for sharing it with us, Emily–your family is so awesome.

Beks     at 4:43 pm

Please tell me there is a recipe for those double chocolate pecan cookies in the future! :-)

Mallory @ ifgravityhappens     at 4:52 pm

Cullen is just adorable!! Your NYE plans sounded great! It’s always nice to not plan on doing something and have it turn around to be a great night!!

Mary     at 5:08 pm

That video is way too cute, Cullen has the BEST laugh! If you could bottle that energy and happiness to sell it you would be a zillionaire, lol.

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 5:57 pm

I have to admit that when I saw a picture of an egg and avocado sandwich here a few days ago, I immediately made one for myself and eventually finished all the eggs and avocados in my parents’ house :) It is an amazing combination!

Jessica     at 6:06 pm

Janna @ RantingRose     at 6:08 pm

Cullen is so stink in cute I can barely stand it!

Jess     at 6:54 pm

That video brought me so much joy. Love it! What a cutie you have!

Lara     at 7:20 pm

For some reason I can’t see the video :(
I have only recently discovered Homegrown but love it, too! And one of my resolutions for this year is to get to our local markets! ;)
Happy New Year to you guys!

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 7:01 am

OMG I cannot handle that video! Cullen is too cute. We miss you guys, Happy New Year!!

Meagan     at 7:50 am

WHAT a funny video!!! I liked seeing Casey in it too. That trunk you have in your room is so awesome – what a great vintagy piece!!

Christina     at 10:23 am

Cullen’s big old belly, I can hardly STAND it! So cute! I love chubby toddlers, he has plenty of cushion to protect from those tumbles.

Kath     at 3:42 pm

Loved the video!

PhillyLass     at 5:57 pm

Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family! Count me among those who would love the kale pasta recipe. I would love to make that myself!

Lindsay     at 6:17 pm

Hey Emily, happy new year! I was wondering if you can tell me about that cross-body bag you’re wearing in one of your photos? Is it a diaper bag? I’m looking for something like that. Thanks!

It is the Little Tripper diaper bag from Lands End. I LOVE it! http://www.landsend.com/pp/little-tripper-diaper-bag~213835_-1.html

Diana     at 12:33 am

That video is just too cute! Happy New Year to you and your family!

I’m also wondering about that cross-body bag. It looks so comfy! May I ask what brand it is or where you found it?

Thanks so much! :)

It is the Lands End Little Tripper bag, and I LOVE it! http://www.landsend.com/pp/little-tripper-diaper-bag~213835_-1.html

Amy     at 11:07 am

Hi Emily, happy new year! I love the video of Cullen! So cute. Would you happen to remember the name of the paint on your hallway walls? Sorry if this is creepy, but I really like it and thought I would ask. Thanks!

Charlie @ the runner beans     at 1:54 am

That is hilarious! Love how many times he falls over!

Erin     at 9:52 am

Emily, Just found your blog and I’m catching up on past posts. I love your sunglasses – are they Ray-Bans? Do you know what size/style? They fit your face well! Love your blog, too!