Working It Out.

After a long day of travel, we have arrived in Indianapolis safe and sound!  Cullen was a trooper and did really well on the flights.  We struck gold and even had empty seats next to us on both legs!

2013-01-15 14.45.46

I knew that once we got here I’d want to just hang out and be with family, so I tried to get as much activity and exercise in as possible before we left.  Sunday afternoon I did another Barre3 class, which is quickly becoming my new favorite thing.  The last time I went, the Sunday class only had about five people.  This time there were over 25 there!

I am consistently surprised and challenged by these classes.  This past week, I worked out next to a woman who was 28 weeks pregnant, and barely breaking a sweat.  Talk about humbling.

All day long I kept hearing my instructor in my head – lift and lower, lower and lift.  lower, lower, lower.  lower and lift.  It is BRUTAL!  Already looking forward to the next one!

Our flight on Tuesday didn’t leave until the afternoon, so Casey and I got up early for another date with Jillian.  I also got another chance to test out my new Old Navy compression capris.

Nothing like starting the day with mountain climbers – OUCH!

It can be hard to convince myself to get out of bed when the alarm goes off at 5:30am, but once my heart rate is up and my muscles are burning, I never regret it.  And sitting in airports and on airplanes for 10 hours yesterday, it felt good knowing I’d gotten in a good workout that morning.

Although I will admit that sometimes I feel like a huge dork kicking and punching in my living room.  Even more so when I ask Casey to take pictures.  Talk about weird.  He’s a good sport.

Now we’re here for a week of family and memories.  It’s 11am and I’m still in pajamas, currently eating coconut flour pancakes and scrambled eggs, courtesy of my mother in law.  I didn’t expect to be in Indianapolis this week, and I certainly wish it was under different circumstances.  But it’s nice to get an extra week with family, no matter what.

This post is sponsored by Old Navy. Check out Old Navy’s Active wear in stores or at oldnavy.com #GetYourActiveON

Erica     at 8:54 am

Ahhh I recognize those standing punches from BFBM, so brutal!

Lauren L.     at 8:57 am

I spent the past week visiting family in Indy! I’m sorry for your loss, but hope you can enjoy the time there. I have been doing Bar Method for the past month and LOVE it, too, so I know what you’re talking about with your new Pure Barre classes. It’s an amazing workout!

Lauren L. Reply:

I meant Barre3. There are PureBarre studios popping up everywhere, too!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}     at 9:01 am

Good for you for kicking and punching in your living room – I think that takes even more motivation than going to the gym!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League     at 9:04 am

I love Jillian workouts! This one looks familiar….Ripped in 30 Week 2? If I’m right I’ll actually be quite depressed! haha

Beth Lombardi     at 9:04 am

I am very sorry for your loss and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I’m glad that you will get to be with your family during this time.

My sister is also doing the Jillian DVD’s, 3 months postpartum and really likes it! I’m considering buying it for myself to do on the weekends and/or days I don’t make it to the gym or am horseback riding.

I’m glad Cullen was such a good boy on the plane!

Karen     at 9:18 am

That video looks tough! Do you have any races in mind for this year?

Ali     at 9:22 am

Jillian is making a comeback with me too! I have been listening to her podcast and once I have the baby, I think I might start her body revolution program. It’s 30 min. workouts with body weight.

Carley@OptimisticHealth     at 9:57 am

Haha my husband always walks in the room at the perfectly awkward moment when I do home workouts. The barre3 sounds sweet!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 10:21 am

Some of my best workouts are in my basement doing my own crazy antics!

Barre is an amazing workout. I made the mistake of thinking the 3 lb DB’s would be light…ummm…not so much after rep #193 and embracing the shake!

Kayla @ Lovely Ride     at 10:22 am

I know that workout well. it kills me. a lot of plank stuff, eh? You look amazing,by the way.

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 10:39 am

I just bought those pants for $15 at old navy! They are so comfy. Old Navy actually has a bunch of great workout gear right now. They are stepping up their game…

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 10:58 am

Certainly wish the circumstances where different but I hope it’s a good visit with family for you both. My thoughts are with you!

Jenny     at 11:33 am

How do like the Old Navy workout gear now that you have been able to use it exercising some? I’m seriously considering making a trip to Old Navy so I was just curious. A woman in my aerobics class this morning had the cutest shirt on and it looked so comfortable too. She said she just got it from Old Navy!
There are some workout DVDs that I will NOT do in front of my husband. I don’t want any witnesses. Lol

Lola     at 11:45 am

My sympathies go out to you and your family. I hope that the travels are safe.

Reading your post reminded me of something I have a hard time not doing – comparing myself to others. There’s a really nice quote out there, I don’t know who it’s by… “Comparison is the thief of joy.”

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction     at 12:09 pm

I loveeeeeee barre classes too! It is such a workout! Funny because men think it’s not, but I’d love to see them try it!

Jess     at 1:21 pm

Thank you so much for posting about your workouts…please keep it coming! As a new mama I’m struggling to figure out how to incorporate workouts into new daily life. Making it to the gym is so hard right now! Always looking for some new tips/ideas for working out at home.

Zoe     at 2:12 pm

Hi Emily,

I’m glad you have arrived back home safe and sound.

Just a quick question. I’ve noticed before that Casey’s mum makes grain free granola, and today coconut pancakes. These recipes probably stick out to me as our family follows a grain-free lifestyle- is she grain-free or does she just enjoy trying different ingredients? If she is grain free, I was wondering how this works when you stay with her and vice versa, given that as a vegetarian you eat a large amount of grains, legumes etc.?

It’s interesting to me that for lifestyles that seem so dichotomous, they’re actually fairly complementary (if you focus on the veggies and ignore the glaring issue of meat consumption)!

Jess     at 5:51 pm

Hi Emily! Have you done a post on tips for flying with an infant/toddler? You guys have flown so much with Cullen, you must be pros by now! I will be taking a 5.5 hour flight in March with my daughter who will be 11 months at the time. I’m already really worried! Can you share your best tips/strategies in a post? Or if you’ve already done this and I missed it somehow, can you link to that post? Thanks!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 6:54 pm

I’m sorry to hear about Casey’s grandmother. My condolences. I remember the picture you posted of all the generations on his side, including Cullen. That was really beautiful.

Jane Plass     at 7:31 pm

My sympathies on the loss of Casey’s grandmother. It’s great that you can be with family during this difficult time.

Charlie (the runner beans)     at 2:20 am

I always feel pretty smug after getting my workout in first thing! I know what you mean about feeling a little silly working out in your living room, but at least no-one is watching!

Kelsey     at 7:31 am

I’m sorry for you loss. I totally understand the silly feeling–I couldn’t make it to a Zumba class a couple of weeks ago, but thankfully know most of the choreography by heart, so I cranked up the music and was dancing in the garage for an hour all alone…it was comical!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 10:54 am

Have so much fun on vacation with your family! I’m heading to Vegas this Saturday and still have to do all the packing and everything that comes with a trip across the country.

Leah     at 11:28 am

Loving barre. Finding it hurts my back to only take it once/week. I think doing weights on the days I do cardio is the only solution (to strengthen my back because just yoga and barre once per week is not enough)

Heather     at 11:53 am

LOL! My hubby is always such a huge sport in taking photos for the blog. He has finally learned to take more than one at a time b/c I am always going to ask for another one!

Beth     at 5:31 am

Those Barre3 classes look like such a great workout, I have yet to give it a try. My sis in law and cousin both go to that studio in Kirkland and love it! I am glad you found your workout groove and are enjoying it!

Kim     at 7:59 am

You won’t feel dorky when summertime comes around and you can rock tank tops and shorts with the best of them! Keep it up!

moira     at 2:37 pm

I’m sorry about Casey’s grandmother but on another note…

I wanted to saw that I saw you on top chef the other night. I was like I (kind of) know her!! I told my husband that I followed your blog and you were sitting next to the judges. I thought it was really cool!

Halle Graham     at 4:11 pm

I am so very sorry about Casey’s grandmother. You all will be in our prayers. I also want to mention that I have the same running shoes as you! Mine are quite worn down and needing replacement, but I really love them! I hope y’all have a great celebration of life with your family.

Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes     at 5:33 am

So glad Cullen was good on your flight! We had a different experience with Noah haha ;-)

music for zumba workout     at 7:58 pm

I drop a comment whenever I especially enjoy a post on a site or if I have
something to contribute to the discussion. It is triggered by
the sincerness displayed in the post I read. And on this article Daily Garnish

zumba instructor insurance     at 3:04 pm

What’s up i am kavin, its mmy first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i read this piece of writing i thought
i ckuld also create comment due to this good article.