Lunch.

I wasn’t planning on posting anything today.  I’m bogged down with Babble deadlines, trying to conquer the ever growing mountain that is my email, and working on our Recipage site redesign.  But then I got a few bites into my lunch, and felt the urge to say hi.  So…HI!

I am a creature of habit.  I find something I like, and I do (or eat!) it over and over again.  I can easily eat the same thing day after day without getting bored.  And right now that thing is this – toasted hempseed bread with coconut spread, half an avocado, two fried eggs, and a smoothie to wash it all down.

First, let’s talk about the bread.  I discovered Silver Hills products at our local grocery store, and I have yet to find a variety I don’t love.  They are local-ish to Seattle (Canada), and it’s some of the tastiest and most nutritious bread I’ve found.  The Hemptation variety I’m eating now has 7 grams of protein per slice!  I am trying each variety one by one, but this one is my favorite so far.

As for the rest of the sandwich, I just toast the bread, slather on the coconut spread, slice and avocado and layer the slices, and quickly fry two eggs in a pan.  I usually like my eggs to be really runny, but today’s got a little overcooked because I was feeding the dogs at the same time.  Multi-tasking!

As for the smoothie, Casey makes a big blender full every morning for the whole family.  He usually starts with a blend of spinach, carrots, banana, frozen mango, frozen berries, and flax oil.  Then pours a big pint glass for Cullen, and adds some protein powder to the rest of the mixture for us.  Each of us has a big glass every day – a quick and easy way to get in fruits and vegetables between work, play, and other meals.

I don’t actually eat this sandwich every day, although I would if I could.  But I don’t want to eat that many eggs each week, so I probably average 2-3 times a week instead.  I always get excited when I realize it’s been a few days, and our avocados are the perfect ripeness.  It’s the little things, right?

So that’s it – there’s my lunch!  Did I knock your socks off?  I’m crossing my fingers for a good nap today because I still have a lot of work to finish.  And after that, I’m counting down to tonight – hoping to take a Barre class with a friend and watch the Top Chef finale with Casey after bedtime!  Hope everyone is having a good day as well.  See you tomorrow!

rebecca @ blueberry smiles     at 3:04 pm

I’ve never added carrots to my smoothies– need to try that! And egg and avocado on toast is one of my favorite lunches too, never gets old

Alexis     at 3:12 pm

That bread sounds amazing!! Question- when you say “coconut spread” is it coconut butter, coconut oil, or something else?? Thanks:)

It’s a blend! I’m addicted to it. http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/organic-coconut-butter/

Alexis Reply:

This sounds incredible. Going in search of it this evening!

Leah     at 3:13 pm

I came to make your energy balls. Now i want that bread…but I am gf! Oh well, the sandwich looks really good. I eat the same things all the time. Your smoothies sound really good. Thanks for sharing!

They have a bunch of GF varieties too!

Leah M Reply:

Oh cool! I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Lori Reply:

I eat their GF bread all the time- really delicious! It’s made just outside of Vancouver, BC.

Kelsey     at 3:19 pm

Yes was going to ask the same thing – what is coconut spread?

It’s a blend of coconut and vegetable oils – I’m obsessed! http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/organic-coconut-butter/

Babs     at 3:30 pm

Sometimes it is the little things in life that make us smile, especially a good smoothie. I tried oat milk in mine the other day – delicious!

Carly @ Snack Therapy     at 4:00 pm

I’m like you- I can (and do) eat the same things every day! I get hooked on certain combos and I can’t give them up.

Kim     at 4:50 pm

This is a little off topic but I followed your link to Babble and saw the photos of Cullen – how awesome is his baby belly, I love it!

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness     at 5:28 pm

I love egg and avocado sandwiches. That coconut spread sounds really good.

padma     at 6:01 pm

I am such a creature of habit when it comes to meals. Egg sandwiches with slice of tomatoes are my “fast food” when I’m too lazy to make anything fancy.

Emily     at 6:13 pm

I, too, can eat the same things over and over – especially for lunch. I eat peanut butter on wheat toast almost every morning, and have since high school. Another go-to is breakfast burritos – eggs, salsa, onions and peppers, cheese – and add chopped ham or veggie burger sometimes, too. I love them!

Michelle     at 6:32 pm

Had to comment just to say – if you’re ever in Oregon, you MUST try Dave’s Killer Bread. Hand’s down, best loaves of bread ever. You can get them at Costco for a bit cheaper than the health food stores there. Perhaps he’s even brought his bread to Washington by now.

Plus, the story behind his bread baking is inspiring.

Leah Reply:

do you have a website for his bread?

Michelle Reply:

Website is here: http://www.daveskillerbread.com/

Andrea Reply:

You can find Dave’s Killer Bread here in the Seattle Area!!! I find it at Fred Meyer, Metropolitan Market, and sometimes even my local Winco! Costco carries it too! But I prefer the Blue bag version and mine doesn’t have the blue one! It’s good!

Mo     at 7:40 pm

Can you please clue me in as to how you manage to squeeze spinach into that smoothie but keep the berry color? Despite my best efforts, my older kids snag me sneaking unwelcome green things into their smoothies every time!

Thanks!

Sana     at 7:45 pm

I love anything with avocado on it!

Liz     at 8:11 pm

Hey Emily,

I notice your avocado has brown, bruised spots. I always thought avocados were a crapshoot, too, until Alice Waters taught me (via one of her cookbooks, I forget which one) always to buy avocados hard & green and let them ripen. She explained that avocados don’t ripen on the tree, so if you get them ripe, they’ve already been in transit rip and have probably been damaged. If you buy them firm, they’re less likely to have been damaged. I followed her advice and I literally have not had a single brown spot on an avocado since (and I eat a lot of avocados). Good luck!

Andrea     at 8:43 pm

I love those open-faced sandwiches! My only gripe is that the yolk is super drippy and makes a mess, so I recently started to break the top of the yolk once the egg is on the bread and then flip it broken side down. That way, the yolk gets absorbed into the bread and my hands stay relatively clean. That is, until I spill sriracha all over myself…
Well, I guess I know what I’m having for lunch tomorrow… :)

Samantha     at 9:40 pm

Some of the Silver Hills has made it to North Bend as well. It is good stuff!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run     at 9:55 pm

I’m glad you stopped in to say hi :)

Your lunch looks tasty. I’ve been all about the avocado toast lately, but your version is bit more gourmet. I heart hemp seeds, so I’m sure if I found that bread, I’d be all over it.

And a perfectly ripe avocado, that’s always something to be happy about!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 4:00 am

This is one of my favorite lunches as well. With runnier eggs. :)

Michelle@Peachy Palate     at 5:26 am

Loving avocados at the moment! You know a little salsa or hot sauce would make that combo even more awesome! :)

Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant     at 6:52 am

That lunch sounds delish! I love Top Chef but wasn’t thrilled with the format of the finale this year…don’t want to spoil anything for you though!

Leah     at 7:08 am

I finally learned the stem trick to figure out if the avocado is the perfect ripeness. :)

Theresa     at 8:41 am

One of my favorite meals! Usually I have it for breakfast, but I need to try adding coconut spread next time. That sounds delish. I could eat the same thing everyday too. I hope C took a good nap for you so you could get a lot accomplished :)

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 9:47 am

I’m hooked on eggs, I wish they weren’t so high in cholesterol so I could eat them every day. I’m like you, I try not to eat them more than 3 times a week. Sometimes that’s really hard! haha

Fructa Reply:

…dietary cholesterol doesn’t negatively impact blood cholesterol. Eat eggs!

Mares Reply:

Eggs are fine to eat, great for most people actually. Key is to EAT THE WHOLE EGG, so much nutrition. You are better off eating the whole egg than lots of refined carbs if you worry about cholesterol.

Emily @ Life on Food     at 9:57 am

I rarely have egg sandwiches but whenever I do I think I should eat this more. Great lunch to me!

Julie     at 10:12 am

Do you use any liquid in the smoothie?

Jenny     at 10:29 am

What type of blender do you use to make your smoothies?

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily     at 10:34 am

You had me at avocado! I can’t get enough lately!! Love the idea of a big batch of smoothie goodness the whole family can enjoy.

Stacie     at 10:54 am

Hi Emily,

I have been a long time reader of yours, but don’t think I have ever left a comment?…I can’t remember. Anyway…just wanted to say thanks for your Babble post on Toddler Bath Toys. I purchased a few items from Amazon for a nephew’s b-day present due to your awesome suggestions! Thanks SO much!!…that post was a life saver!

Thanks for all that you do. Your blog is truly incredible, wonderful and life enriching to read!! Keep it up :)

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health     at 1:15 pm

That bread sounds so good. Now I have to try some!

Tracey     at 1:51 pm

Just wanted to say I love your blog! I’m not a big blog follower, but am admittedly smitten with DG and get a little thrill when a new post pops up on my Facebook feed! Thanks so much for sharing, you have made my day more than once! Oh, and your son is adorbs. Would love to hear more about what you feed Cullen at different stages as we are veggie too and I’m having trouble incorporating iron into the diet of my son, 9 months. Thanks again :)

Emily Blessing     at 2:01 pm

This looks so delicious! Avocado and egg sandwiches were one of my favorites, but I’ve recently started following a vegan diet. I just looked up the bread you used and found that they have vegan and GF varieties (which I can never find – I also have celiac). I emailed them to see if they’d ship it to me (I live in NH) and they immediately emailed me back with the info. So next Thursday I’ll have four loaves delivered to my door! Can’t wait to try them. Thank you :)

Julia     at 3:11 pm

I’ve seen you post about eating this meal before and it always looks so good! I live in Seattle and was wondering where you can find that bread. It looks awesome! Does Whole Foods or PCC sell it?

Lori Reply:

Costco carries it!

Jacquelynn     at 7:21 pm

What protein powder do you guys use? Did you ever use it while you were pregnant?

That lunch looks so yummy!

Fructa     at 8:40 am

Emily, you’re great. I love how your blog is unpretentious and unafraid of honesty. It feels like most blogs are trying to show this perfect slice of life and lecture to their audiences – but you’re just showing us your life and how much you love it. It’s great.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate     at 4:45 pm

That lunch looks delicious!

Caitlin     at 8:28 am

Emily, I think it would be awesome if you did a “What I eat Wednesday” style post! Always interesting to see your meals :)

Carly     at 5:37 pm

If you really want to take that lunch idea and kick it up a notch, try a sprinkle of cumin on top. I eat the same – buttered toast, avocado, fried (or poached) egg, and a hearty dash sea salt and cumin on top. Try it – it might just change your life. :)

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 7:17 pm

I wish I had a smoothie every day. I’m too lazy to deal with cleaning the blender that often… just being honest ;) I love avocados on everything!

Joy Shop     at 7:42 pm

I love Silver Hills Bakery Breads! I have tried a number of them and all our delish and nutritious. If you are a Canadian, they are sold at various retail stores (RCSS, Goodness Me, etc.)

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 8:35 pm

I’ve had that bread before, and I *just* had that open-faced “sandwich” for dinner–minus the coconut spread. :)

So delicious!

Deidre     at 6:25 am

Why viewwrs still make use of too read news pqpers whn in this technological world all is accessible on net?

hack facebook apk     at 2:24 am

You might be both as guilty) about your fixed drive to get as
many likes on Facebook. When you think getting as many Fb
likes as humanly attainable is sweet social media strategy,
you are sooooooo mistaken. In many ways, social media has turn into the newest standing symbol for agents.

Whilst they attempt to obtain social media stardom and get their Facebook likes up,
they really don’t have time to step back and study its true energy.
But earlier than I talk about how I feel you, as
a letting (or property) agent ought to use social media particularly for lettings and estate company (and remember,
I do not sell social media), rule considered one of lettings is Fb should come nowhere
near your corporation. What’s clear is that Facebook is not
free.

property blog     at 8:19 pm

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering
what all is needed to get setup? I’m assuming having
a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web
smart so I’m not 100% certain. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate it

Jefferson     at 2:38 am

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide
credit and sources back to your webpage?
My blog is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors
would certainly benefit from some of the information you present here.
Please let me know if this okay with you.
Thanks!

feeder horses 16 quart     at 12:41 am

Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick
shout out and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading through
your posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics?
Thank you so much!