Weekend in Cincinnati.

Home, sweet home again.  I spent my whirlwind of a weekend in Cincinnati, visiting with my family and all my favorite friends.  I flew overnight on Thursday, so when I arrived on Friday morning I was exhausted, starving, and excited to immediately head to lunch!

Capture

I was a little nervous about the Friday logistics back home, since Cullen was hanging with friends while Casey was at a conference.  But those fears were immediately put to rest when I was sent a slew of photos of Cullen having a blast with his buddies.  He even took a nap at my friend Katie’s house without a single tear!

image

I spent most of Friday camped out on the couch with my sister, Sarah, and my best friend, Lindsey.  We were incredibly lazy, and it was awesome.  We had a family dinner at a new neighborhood restaurant, and I crashed hard when we got home.  Not sleeping the night before had seriously worn me out.

I was nice and rested when I got up Saturday morning.  I spent pretty much the whole day visiting with friends.  First up, a chance to meet these two precious babies and see some of my oldest, dearest friends.  Seeing these guys was the main reason I flew all this way, and it was well worth it.

IMG_1901 (640x427)

I was amazed at how quickly I’ve forgotten those tiny baby stages.  I felt like I had no idea how to hold or soothe them!  After a few hours of baby talk and snuggling, I headed out for a local treat.  Hands down the best frozen yogurt ever.  I don’t eat much dairy these days, but this was worth the splurge.

IMG_1904 (427x640)

Back at home, Casey was rocking it out as single dad.  Since he had never done a whole day (or weekend!) alone, I wasn’t sure how it would go, but I never should have had any doubts.  Every time I talked to them, they were out and about and having a great time.  Casey took Cullen out to dinner Friday night for a “boys’ night”, and Saturday afternoon he sent me pictures of C in one of his favorite play places.

2013-02-099509-35-2695716

Meanwhile, I was headed out to dinner with college friends!  It was total luck that we were all in town the same weekend, and it was so fun to catch up with Blake and Luke.  Blake and I used to live in DC together, and I miss seeing him as often as I used to.  Back in college, Luke was actually my supervisor in the package room, and I used to drive him insane by calling off on all my weekend shifts.  Ahh memories.

IMG952180 (640x480)

I spent the rest of Saturday night at home alone with my mom – catching up and talking until late into the night.  These visits always seem to go by way too quickly!

Sunday morning brought a fun treat – a Pure Barre class with Lindsey and Sarah!  I had told them I wanted to try a class while I was home, since this studio is relatively new (at least since I lived there) in my neighborhood.  Ironically, it is next to one of my old favorite bars.

2013-02-10 11.05.24 (640x477)

I was actually sort of amazed (and really excited) that I was able to convince them to go with me.  I’ve been doing Barre3 in Seattle, so I figured this would be similar, but I was also interested to see how it was different.

It was TOUGH.  Some parts were harder than Barre3, some things were very similar, and some things seemed easier.  But overall, it was a great workout and we were all totally dragging at the end.  I love going to my Barre classes here in Seattle, but I forgot how much fun it is to go with friends!

2013-02-10 11.02.52 (640x480)

Sarah was a total champ.  She’d been out the night before til 2am, and was definitely feeling slightly hungover.  But she rocked it out anyway, and Lindsey and I laughed at her quite a bit.  :)  I’m excited that this studio is so close to my mom’s house, and I plan to go back during future visits home!

2013-02-10 11.04.19 (480x640)

Speaking of home, I’m not sure Cullen even noticed I was gone because he was having way too much fun with dad.  They went to the Experience Music Project museum, the Fremont market, and out to eat several times.  They also went for walks with the dogs, and Cullen got to take his bike out for a spin.  I hear he also finally got his own sandwich at Homegrown – looks like a good weekend to me!

2013-02-099511-44-5295931

I got to video chat with them a few times, which was really fun.  Cullen always seemed surprised to see me on the other side of the camera.

2013-02-10 11.59.36 (640x480)

After our Barre class, we were all sore and barely able to move, so we dragged our bodies to one of my favorite spots back home – Chipotle.  Local?  No, but we don’t really have it here in Seattle.  There are two locations that are both really inconvenient, so we never get it.  A delicious bowl of rice, beans, and veggies demolished in about five minutes.

2013-02-10 12.25.03 (640x480)

I squeezed in a few more hours of visiting with friends before I had to run home and throw my stuff back into my suitcase.  My flight took off at 6pm, and then I spent 7.5 hours in the air.  It was very long.  We definitely live way, way too far away.

I walked in the door at 2am, crashed into my bed, and had a smiling happy boy ready to play at 7am.  It was a wonderful weekend for many reasons.  I went into it hoping to just savor every moment and spend as much time as possible with my friends and family, and that’s exactly what I did.  It always feels too short, but it definitely felt very full.

And back at home, Cullen and Casey had an awesome time, and I think it was a really good experience for both of them.  It feels great to know that it was such a big success, and that eventually we can do it again.  Hoping to be all caught up on sleep by tomorrow.  Is it bedtime yet?

Brittany @ Kitchen::Candid     at 3:02 pm

Sounds like you had a blast! I wish we had a pure barre or barre3 class available in my next of the woods. As a former ballerina I’d be ALL OVER that! :)

Julie     at 3:15 pm

I have to ask, where did you get the top you wore to Pure Barre? I want some long sleeve ones to wear to PB too but haven’t found anything I love! Looks like you had a great trip :)

It’s from TJ Maxx!

natalie @ will jog for food     at 3:36 pm

Glad the weekend went so well for you…and Cullen!

Holly     at 3:50 pm

Ah you were literally down the street from us :) Adeline &I walk part that Pure Barre studio all the time :) so glad you had a great trip (and that the men were in one piece when you got back ;)

Aww too bad we missed you!

Presley @ Run Pretty     at 4:08 pm

Everyone looks so happy in all of the pictures. I’d say your weekend was a success. :)

Emily     at 5:00 pm

I noticed you almost always take red eye flights – is it mainly so that you can spend more time there, or so Cullen (when he’s with you) can sleep, is it cheaper? Or all of the above? Just curious – is that a common thing when flying cross-country?

When you change time zones, if we fly during the day we lose pretty much the entire day to travel. Especially going west to east. I took the red eye since I was alone and didn’t mine the lost sleep – I’d rather have more time during the day to visit. We don’t do red eyes with Cullen anymore though – he’s too old for them now!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 5:17 pm

Looks like you and Cullen had a great time. It’s always nice to refresh!

Sana     at 5:19 pm

You needed some alone time! glad you had fun!

Babs     at 5:29 pm

I may have drooled on my computer while looking at the pic of the burrito bowl. I miss Chipotle A LOT. In Melbourne we have a wanna be Chiptotle called Mad Mex, but without the delish guac and homemade chips so it’s a poor comparison. We also have a knock-off Cold Stone called Cold Rock … tehe.

padma     at 5:34 pm

I’ve never done a Barre class…can people who have never done ballet or any sort of dance do it? I would be excited to try a beginners class.

Oh definitely. It’s actually not like ballet at all, despite how it sounds!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 5:42 pm

Glad you had a good time!

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom     at 6:23 pm

Glad you had a fun trip :)

Lara     at 8:05 pm

Fun! I’ve been to the PB in Queen Anne a couple time since G has been born. I have a punch card and want to start going more! Let me know if you are ever up for going to a class together!

Ooooh fun! Yes, definitely! I actually saw they have a 3 month postpartum package on their website. Wish I’d known about that last year!

Looks like a blast! I love Chipotle, but every time I’ve thought about going it is absolutely slammed. I get that it’s tasty, but come on people!

Gina     at 9:32 pm

props to Sarah! Hahahaha, I don’t think I could do that class with a hangover headache!

RIGHT? She was awesome.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health     at 9:36 pm

I am dying to try a Barre class, they sound awesome! Glad to hear you had a fun trip and made it home safely to your men!

Leah Reply:

My yoga studio has barre classes! :) You may be able to find a Groupon or Amazon local deal to save on barre classes near you. I will say it’s the only class with weights I’ve ever liked.

Michelle@Peachy Palate     at 12:18 am

Man you packed a lot in, I’m tired just reading it all! Looks like you had a blast and glad Cullen was a happier camper; so male bonding did them good I’m sure and at least you can be more confident going away next time!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 2:56 am

I am so glad you had a fun weekend. Getting together with old friends is such a treat.

Lee     at 5:35 am

I know you visit family in Atlanta sometimes and have one word for you – Willy’s. It’s like Chipotle but they have tofu and they’re all over the city.

Glad your trip was fun.

Yum! Good to know! We are headed there next month. :)

SpiritedShannon     at 5:40 am

Looks like you had a wonderful time! So glad that your travels were safe and so full of love.

Leah     at 6:18 am

You have become the Queen of the redeye flights! I only do them going to Europe from Boston. I’ve noticed that anytime people go West to East redeye in the US they tend to catch a cold. Glad your trip went well. It sounds like the perfect weekend. And Casey did an amazing job!!!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 6:41 am

We don’t have a Chipolte here and I wish we did! Funny how moms can be worried every second about how their little ones are doing only to find out they did just fine on their own. I bet Cullen loved some one-on-one dad time!

Great timing too to be able to see all your friends that weekend as well. It’s hard having people spread out over all areas of the States and it’s so special to be able to see them again and pick up as if no time has gone by at all.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 6:42 am

I LOVE Chipotle! Looks like a great trip :D

k     at 7:11 am

I’ve been looking for a bike for my 1 year old. I was wondering which one Cullen has. Any recs?

It was actually a birthday gift. I will try to find the brand!

Emily     at 7:58 am

Glad to hear that you loved Pure Barre as much as Barre 3. I’ve been going to my local PB for months and am so happy I found it.

We’re actually getting a Chipotle right next to our studio, could be a blessing or a curse! lol

Omg so dangerous!

Morgan     at 8:28 am

What a fun trip! I’m intrigued to try these barre classes. I used to be a dancer, so I have a feeling I would really enjoy them. Do you rely on your own body weight for resistance?

Also- You’re Chipotle bowl is making me hungry.

Yep, body weight and a few short sections with light free weights and a resistance ball. I love it!

Hilary @ PeanutButterSpoonfuls     at 10:40 am

Sounds like a really great weekend an a well deserved break! It’s amazing how easy it is to forget about the tiny baby stage. I never remember just how floppy they are.

Totally!

Jaime D     at 11:13 am

Just wanted to make sure you know about the Redmond and Bellevue (2) Chipotle locations…? Are those the two that are inconvenient for you to get to?

Ooh good to know! I’m not in B or R all that often, but I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I was talking about Northgate (in the mall) and downtown! :)

Jaime D Reply:

Ahhh – ya, those two are not great if you are coming from Kirkland. I would say the Redmond location is your best bet! I’m a Bellevue native (currently living in Issaquah) so I know the area pretty well.

Crystal Reply:

Did you know there is one in Woodinville now? It’s near the Starbucks and Top Foods. So good!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 12:25 pm

So glad you got to see friends and family! Your trip looks like it was a blast!

Sarah     at 1:30 pm

oh yagoot– SO GOOD! no other yogurt place will ever live up to it!

and i’m curious, where did you go eat in the first photo? i live in cincinnati, and that looks YUM!

Sarah     at 4:46 pm

Looks like you had an awesome weekend!

My US geography is way off. I had no idea a flight from Cincinnati to Seattle would take 7.5 hours!! I figured it was about the distance from Toronto to Vancouver which is about 5 hours.

afarmerinthedell.com     at 6:11 pm

what a wonderful weekend away Emily. You sure deserved it :)

Tara     at 9:15 pm

How much did you miss Cullen since it was your first trip without him?!

I’m about to try a “Bar Method” class that’s really popular in my area right now. I wonder how similar it is to your Barre classes.

Laurie     at 5:45 am

Barre class looks awesome. Around here, they are SO expensive for drop-ins! I am jealous.

I was looking on Chipotle the other day, actually, because I am travelling somewhere and there is one close by, and I was checking the allergen info for my food allergy and noticed the beans are NOT vegetarian! I am a vegan and was disappointed they are cooked with meat.

Beth@MotorCityOnMyMind     at 1:35 pm

I’m sure it was hard to be away from Casey and Cullen but I’m glad you got some much needed alone/down time! You are always able to find great vegetarian/vegetarian friendly restaurants no matter where you go. I know that this was your old neighborhood but how do you find them? I have such a difficult time finding anything in Florida.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Resolution Recap.     at 3:09 pm

[...] whether that means reading a book during nap time, taking a fitness class on the weekend, or even taking a whole weekend to go home and visit [...]

Dominique     at 12:30 pm

What are some of the places you went to in Cincinnati? I actually live in Cincy and that first picture of the sandwich looked REALLY good!

KT     at 10:33 pm

Is that first picture from MELT?!

Yes, totally! :)

KT Reply:

I can spot a Melt sandwich ANYWHERE. Last time I was there I got the new (to me) bbq sandwich made vegan. It was incredible! I miss Melt….it’s my favorite Cinci restaurant.

A NEW WORKOUT FOR A NEW MONTH (MY 1ST PURE BARRE CLASS) | A Moveable Me     at 4:34 pm

[...]  I have passed the studio by us a million times whenever I would go to Whole Foods Market and also read about it on a blog that I absolutely love, Daily Garnish.  At first I thought I would have to wait to try it until after I had my baby in July.  But (yay [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Beginning To Barre.     at 2:27 pm

[...] I like the sequence of the workout, and I have found it to be the most challenging.  I tried a Pure Barre class in Cincinnati a few months ago, which I also liked, but the music was deafening and the atmosphere was more [...]