Monday Musings.

No real weekend post here – just a few odds and ends and things we were up to.  Saturday started off with a yummy homemade breakfast.  While I was whisking batter and heating up my frying pan, Casey was giving Cullen his own cup of granola.  As you can see, he is not quite ready for such independent snacking.

He was pretty pumped about it, and his granola goatee was totally hilarious.  But ohhhhh the mess.  The dogs cleaned up the majority of it, but left just enough fine particles everywhere that extensive vacuuming was required.

While Cullen was busy flinging granola left and right, I was making a giant stack of fluffy blueberry pancakes.

They are a Saturday morning tradition in our house, and I look forward to it all week long.  Every time I make pancakes I announce that I really, really want to get a waffle maker.  So I’m putting that on my list for this month – make homemade waffles!

Cullen loved them and I’m pretty sure he ate more than I did.  It was alarming.

With our bellies full, we headed out for what turned out to be one of the most gorgeous days of the year so far.  Cullen and I go to the zoo during the week all the time, but it’s always a rare treat when dad is able to join us!  We checked out the monkeys, bears, and otters…

Capture

And Cullen took his first spin around the carousel!  He was really scared when the horses first started moving, but he warmed up after a minute or so and ended up loving it.

Capture2

I’ve been making a point to unplug more these days – to enjoy family moments as they are happening, and to spend less time observing from behind my camera lens.  So even though the sun was shining and I knew we’d have a picture perfect day, I left my big camera at home.  But that didn’t stop me from whipping out the cell phone on the carousel, and cursing my lack of better photos.  At least I got one!

We headed home for Cullen’s nap, and I spent the rest of Saturday doing spring cleaning.  I vacuumed all the baseboards and scrubbed the kitchen cabinets.  I dealt with a frightening amount of backed up dishes.  I even took our car down to the gas station and got it all cleaned and vacuumed out.  And now I am absolutely determined to keep it that way.  From this point forward, it is a Cheerio-free zone.

Sunday morning brought breakfast with friends, and a really blurry cell phone photo of my delicious challah French toast with fruit and other yummy toppings.  WIN.

2013-03-10 09.39.40 (640x480)

Sunday was actually pretty cold and drizzly, and Cullen had a bit of the sniffles, so we treated ourselves to an afternoon at home.  It was kind of nice to just veg out instead of run around like we usually do.  Cullen napped, Casey worked, and I did a bunch of cooking!

I made some yummy things that I will share with you later this week!

The rest of this week is all about travel-prep mode.  We have a big trip coming up – we’ll be gone for almost two weeks!  Casey has a work conference in Atlanta, where he’ll be earning his new degree (this is a big deal!).  Since we have a lot of family in Atlanta, we’ve turned it into a visit with them as well.  While I’m there, I’m also throwing a baby shower for my sister-in-law – I’m so excited!

After we finish up in Atlanta, we’re hopping in the car for a week in Hilton Head with my side of the family.  Still with me?  We are finally having the long overdue memorial service for my Grandma, who passed last August, and my Grandpa (who passed many years ago).

I’m sure I’ll talk more about it as it approaches, but it’s a big gathering that we’ve been anticipating for years!  It will be a huge reunion of 45-ish people on my dad’s side of the family – many of whom haven’t seen each other in 15+ years!  Crazy that they will all remember me as a young (awkward) teenager, and I’ll be coming back as a married mom!

It will be weird to be away for so long, but I’m looking forward to spending lots of good, quality time with family, and feeling some warm southern sunshine on my skin.  Lots to look forward to this week!

Including – right NOW!  I’m walking out the door the minute I hit publish, and heading to my friend Katie’s house to watch the Bachelor finale and eat giant vegan chocolate chip cookies.  I’m rooting for Lindsay!

And I’m off!

Sana     at 8:17 pm

Cullen is too cute in that jacket!

Meagan     at 8:19 pm

Looks like someone went to PORTAGE! I am officially jealous. If my budget and time allowed I’d seriously go every Saturday morning!

sarah crosby     at 8:35 pm

Those pancakes look SO good! We make them most Saturdays also!! and homemade waffles are to die for!

&
Lindsay? I totally had you pegged for a Catherine fan. A Seattle vegan blogger! ;) (PLEASE note sarcasm. I do realize that that is a SUPER judgemental way to look at it! i just had to throw it out there! ;)

Haha I like Catherine, just didn’t see them together AT ALL. No chemistry in my opinion, but clearly I was wrong!

Sarah Crosby Reply:

Agreed. My husband who never has opinions on shows like the bachelor even said “they don’t even look like they go together”. Oh well. Hope they are happy ;)

Lindsey     at 9:33 pm

That looks like Portage Bay Cafe French toast! I had the same thing at the Lake Union location on Saturday. It’s sooo good!!!

Soooooooooooooooo good! :)

Rebecca     at 9:54 pm

Wait! Did you give Portage another chance? Was it good? I hope you went to Ballard.

When you get your waffle maker, I must insist on the Weelicious Pumpkin Waffles. Molly ate like 4 the day I made them. She just kept shoveling them in.

Sigh. I did. We went really early with friends and I made a reservation. Actually had surprisingly good service this time! (and this was Roosevelt!)

Natalie     at 10:22 pm

Hilton Head Island!!!! My absolute favorite place!!

Pam     at 10:36 pm

Ha! I’m often telling my husband that I think our 15 month old little girl eats more than me! Where do they put it all?! I’m also frequently asking for a waffle maker. Can’t wait for it to be our little weekend tradition! I too was rooting for Lindsay & am really bummed that she wasn’t the one!!!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 10:50 pm

I am excited to see the recipe–whatever it is, it looks delicious! I love your cute little family. I can’t wait to have kids of my own one day!

Babs     at 10:50 pm

2wk vacay sounds great, although I’m sure with a little one it also involves a fair bit of planning.

Carly @ Snack Therapy     at 11:01 pm

Granola goatee! That’s hilarious! So cute.

I’m totally jealous of that challah french toast as well. Yummmm.

Elisabeth     at 11:48 pm

Two weeks on vacation sounds great! Congratulations to Casey! What degree is he earning?

FSA – it’s the highest actuarial degree!

Desiree     at 3:01 am

Those pancakes look so yummy. I broke down and made a huge batch of homemade waffles this past Saturday for my family. Huge hit. I live right outside of Atlanta (Douglasville area) and I think spring is starting to appear. Trees are just starting to bloom (hoping the pollen isn’t too bad for the Georgia marathon on Sunday). And we LOVE Hilton Head. We go once a year and stay in Sea Pines. Park the car and bike/run everywhere :)

That is my plan! Definitely renting bikes!!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy     at 4:15 am

Sounds like you have some exciting things coming up! I bet two weeks away will be a nice break from reality!

Christy     at 4:44 am

If you are looking for waffle makers, I recommend the Waring brand. We had the single and then upgraded to the double. They make the best waffles–better than I’ve had in any restaurant–and we use it almost every weekend.

Thanks for the tip!

Lee     at 5:20 am

Sounds like you have a lot of fun coming up. If you need any ATL recommendations (though I’m sure your family has them), let me know. I’d be happy to recommend some good vegetarian spots.

Thanks Lee! I think Casey and I are going to do one celebratory night out. If you can think of any veg-friendly semi-fancy spots I’m all ears! We’ll be in Roswell and don’t want to drive TOO far, but I know most good restaurants are probably in Midtown or Buckhead?

Donna     at 6:32 am

Oh! How I miss Hilton Head. I am so jealous!! Enjoy your family time.

Mari     at 6:39 am

When you travel for long stretches, where does Cullen sleep? A pack n play? Crib? We’re planning a back-east trip for September, including 10 nights in a total of two homes. I can’t decide if a rented/borrowed pack n play will be comfy enough for him, or if we’ll need to rent a crib. But being in two locales will make things trickier. Any tips while traveling like this? My son will be 13 months old during our trip. Thanks!

Erika Reply:

I was wondering the same thing! Need to get prepared for some traveling with our baby, too!

The first week we’ll be at my BIL/SIL’s house, and they will have an empty crib he can sleep in (she’s due in May). In Hilton Head, he’ll be in a pack n play. Two locations definitely makes it tricker, but I’ve learned from traveling with him a lot that he’s much more adaptable than I give him credit for. He really does just fine every time!

Anne Weber-Falk     at 6:58 am

Two weeks with family. Sighhh…I miss being able to do that. Before my in-laws moved back here all of the extended family would take the long drive from Chicago to Cape Cod to spend a week and a half camping at Nickerson State Park. I was a great time had by all. Hey, what will you do with the pooches for those two weeks? That’s a long time to be away from your furry ones.

We have a really great house/dog sitter that stays with them! They love it bc they get her undivided attention. :)

Emily     at 7:30 am

Sounds like a really fun trip!

Can’t wait to see the recipe for the photo above :)

Lindsay     at 8:12 am

Emily! I can’t believe we disagreed on the Bachelor – haha! How could you like Lindsay!? With her baby talk?! Seriously!? Catherine was my fave from day one – I loved her nerdy personality :)

The baby talk was annoying and I think she was kind of immature, but I just see NO connection between him and Catherine. But clearly I am wrong! :)

Christina     at 8:26 am

I’ll be in Hilton Head the week leading up to Easter! :) We’ll be staying in Sea Pines….if I see you I’m going to come up and say hi :)

We will be in Sea Pines that week too! You better say hi – how fun! :)

Christina Reply:

My daughter is almost 14 months old, she would probably have a blast with Cullen! (although, she is still getting the hang of walking, so he’ll be running circles around her!) Hope to run into you there :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 8:36 am

Congrats to Casey on getting his new degree! From how you write about him and the pictures you post, Cullen seems to have a lot of personality for such a little one. I bet he’s a lot of fun! I’m excited for you to go on your trips so you can spend more time together with your family (immediate and extended)!

Thanks, Alex!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 8:41 am

Yay! Waffles are a huge hit over here. We make them all the time. Going to experiment with a vegan, gluten-free recipe this week!

Looking forward to treading about it!

Gwen O     at 8:48 am

Completely random but: where did you get your floral shirt? It is so bright, springy and fun :)

Anthropologie – on sale now! :)

Theresa     at 8:48 am

Now I am craving French toast! yum! It looks like you had a great weekend.

Congrats to Casey on his new Degree. I am glad you’re able to have an extended vacation and see family! Where do the pups go when you’re gone for so long?

My girlfriends and I get together every week for dinner and Bachelor watching. Its always a fun girls night! I really liked both Lindsay and Catherine, but after watching last night, I was happy he picked Catherine. They seem really cute and playful together. I’m not that excited about Des as the new Bachelorette…

We have a really amazing house/dogsitter who stays with them and spoils them rotten. :)

Tamara     at 10:03 am

Do you happen to know and would you be willing to share what kind of wood flooring you have throughout your house? We are looking to put hardwood throughout our house with two dogs. I love what you have and it appears to hold up well with the dogs.

I have no idea. :( I’m sorry! It was here when we bought it. It’s a really neat distressed wood, but the dark color drives me insane. Shows every dog hair and crumb!!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health     at 10:39 am

I bought a cast iron waffle maker (Rome is the brand) for $20 and I’m in the process of seasoning if but I can’t wait to use it. I’m trying to eliminate non stick cookware little by little. Just a thought if you are shopping around for one. I stayed up way too late watching The Bachelor. Let us know what you think!

Thanks for the tip! I stayed up too late too. Bummed he didn’t choose Lindsay, but glad they seem happy! I just don’t see the connection!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 11:13 am

What a great weekend. We made gluten free waffles this morning for the first time. They were incredible! My kids sat on chairs at the bar and ate them hot off the waffle maker.

Danielle     at 11:36 am

Sounds a lot like our weekend! We went up to Port Angeles and Hurricane Ridge on Saturday. Then on Sunday we stayed in to clean and cook. Saturday’s weather really was quite nice.

We’ve got a two week trip to Ohio coming up! Can’t wait for the recipes!

Michelle@Peachy Palate     at 11:47 am

Those pancakes look awesome! Do you use eggs or are they vegan?
Can’t wait for the surprise recipe…I’m guessing some sort of salt and pepper tofu!? :)

Sherisse H (@lovesplantbased)     at 1:28 pm

Beautiful pancakes! Can’t wait for the “yummy things” later this week :)

Tina     at 3:24 pm

I’m looking for a perfect vegan pancake recipe. Can I have yours????

padma     at 5:54 pm

OMG having a waffle maker changed my life. I love it so much. Having fresh waffles with whatever flavors you want for breakfast sunday morning is the best weekend present ever.

Congrats to Casey! Hope you all have a safe trip! :D

Stacy @ Stacy Eats     at 7:15 pm

It’s the perfect time to come down to Atlanta! The forecast says it will be warm and sunny here this weekend. Enjoy your vacation!

Tiffany G.     at 7:59 pm

Emily, I’m not far south from Atlanta…Like an hour and a half? I got excited seeing that you mentioned a trip to Atlanta! I would love to come up that way and say HI!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 4:07 am

Cullen is the cutest! I hope you have a wonderful time on vacation with your family!!

jenny     at 6:28 am

We live in Hilton Head! So exciting that you will be down here, I have been reading your blog since I was pregnant (my daughter is almost 19 months) We have a TON of awesome restaurants, Delisheeyo has fresh pressed juices and lots of vegan options. Hope to see you around the island!

Lisa     at 9:47 am

Hi Emily!
I enjoy reading about your wee family & the many adventures you all experience. As a non red-meat eating reader of your blog, I really enjoy reading about your restaurant excursions–would you share a list of your favs to visit & the dishes/meals you all order/consider worthy of a try. Yes, in particular, those in the Seattle & surrounding areas. Many thanx!

Brittany @ Kitchen::Candid     at 11:33 am

French toast is really the best breakfast option. Especially with brioche or challah bread!!!

Stephanie J.     at 5:44 pm

If you haven’t already, you MUST eat at Soul Vegetarian in ATL. It is magical.

Rachael     at 6:49 pm

Just came across your blog and I am so impressed! :) You are like me in a nutshell. Can’t wait to read more.

Jeanette     at 8:08 am

I just realized that I’ve followed you for a full year and never posted a comment. I love your blog and I love following your progression from BC to AC (Before Cullen/After Cullen)

Jeanette

Rachel R.     at 4:06 pm

Hi Emily! I have been following you for a while now, since you lived in Charlotte!
I just spent 5 days in Seattle for the first time visiting my dad who is working in Bremerton. I LOVED it and used a lot of your recommendations- did a lot of touristy things but also hit up the Fremont market and had one of the best meals ever at Cafe Flora! Hoping to find a job in PNW when I’m done with grad school. Have a great time here down south :)