For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Monday Musings.

No real weekend post here – just a few odds and ends and things we were up to.  Saturday started off with a yummy homemade breakfast.  While I was whisking batter and heating up my frying pan, Casey was giving Cullen his own cup of granola.  As you can see, he is not quite ready for such independent snacking.

He was pretty pumped about it, and his granola goatee was totally hilarious.  But ohhhhh the mess.  The dogs cleaned up the majority of it, but left just enough fine particles everywhere that extensive vacuuming was required.

While Cullen was busy flinging granola left and right, I was making a giant stack of fluffy blueberry pancakes.

They are a Saturday morning tradition in our house, and I look forward to it all week long.  Every time I make pancakes I announce that I really, really want to get a waffle maker.  So I’m putting that on my list for this month – make homemade waffles!

Cullen loved them and I’m pretty sure he ate more than I did.  It was alarming.

With our bellies full, we headed out for what turned out to be one of the most gorgeous days of the year so far.  Cullen and I go to the zoo during the week all the time, but it’s always a rare treat when dad is able to join us!  We checked out the monkeys, bears, and otters…

Capture

And Cullen took his first spin around the carousel!  He was really scared when the horses first started moving, but he warmed up after a minute or so and ended up loving it.

Capture2

I’ve been making a point to unplug more these days – to enjoy family moments as they are happening, and to spend less time observing from behind my camera lens.  So even though the sun was shining and I knew we’d have a picture perfect day, I left my big camera at home.  But that didn’t stop me from whipping out the cell phone on the carousel, and cursing my lack of better photos.  At least I got one!

We headed home for Cullen’s nap, and I spent the rest of Saturday doing spring cleaning.  I vacuumed all the baseboards and scrubbed the kitchen cabinets.  I dealt with a frightening amount of backed up dishes.  I even took our car down to the gas station and got it all cleaned and vacuumed out.  And now I am absolutely determined to keep it that way.  From this point forward, it is a Cheerio-free zone.

Sunday morning brought breakfast with friends, and a really blurry cell phone photo of my delicious challah French toast with fruit and other yummy toppings.  WIN.

2013-03-10 09.39.40 (640x480)

Sunday was actually pretty cold and drizzly, and Cullen had a bit of the sniffles, so we treated ourselves to an afternoon at home.  It was kind of nice to just veg out instead of run around like we usually do.  Cullen napped, Casey worked, and I did a bunch of cooking!

I made some yummy things that I will share with you later this week!

The rest of this week is all about travel-prep mode.  We have a big trip coming up – we’ll be gone for almost two weeks!  Casey has a work conference in Atlanta, where he’ll be earning his new degree (this is a big deal!).  Since we have a lot of family in Atlanta, we’ve turned it into a visit with them as well.  While I’m there, I’m also throwing a baby shower for my sister-in-law – I’m so excited!

After we finish up in Atlanta, we’re hopping in the car for a week in Hilton Head with my side of the family.  Still with me?  We are finally having the long overdue memorial service for my Grandma, who passed last August, and my Grandpa (who passed many years ago).

I’m sure I’ll talk more about it as it approaches, but it’s a big gathering that we’ve been anticipating for years!  It will be a huge reunion of 45-ish people on my dad’s side of the family – many of whom haven’t seen each other in 15+ years!  Crazy that they will all remember me as a young (awkward) teenager, and I’ll be coming back as a married mom!

It will be weird to be away for so long, but I’m looking forward to spending lots of good, quality time with family, and feeling some warm southern sunshine on my skin.  Lots to look forward to this week!

Including – right NOW!  I’m walking out the door the minute I hit publish, and heading to my friend Katie’s house to watch the Bachelor finale and eat giant vegan chocolate chip cookies.  I’m rooting for Lindsay!

And I’m off!

Tamara     at 10:03 am

Do you happen to know and would you be willing to share what kind of wood flooring you have throughout your house? We are looking to put hardwood throughout our house with two dogs. I love what you have and it appears to hold up well with the dogs.

I have no idea. :( I’m sorry! It was here when we bought it. It’s a really neat distressed wood, but the dark color drives me insane. Shows every dog hair and crumb!!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health     at 10:39 am

I bought a cast iron waffle maker (Rome is the brand) for $20 and I’m in the process of seasoning if but I can’t wait to use it. I’m trying to eliminate non stick cookware little by little. Just a thought if you are shopping around for one. I stayed up way too late watching The Bachelor. Let us know what you think!

Thanks for the tip! I stayed up too late too. Bummed he didn’t choose Lindsay, but glad they seem happy! I just don’t see the connection!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 11:13 am

What a great weekend. We made gluten free waffles this morning for the first time. They were incredible! My kids sat on chairs at the bar and ate them hot off the waffle maker.

Danielle     at 11:36 am

Sounds a lot like our weekend! We went up to Port Angeles and Hurricane Ridge on Saturday. Then on Sunday we stayed in to clean and cook. Saturday’s weather really was quite nice.

We’ve got a two week trip to Ohio coming up! Can’t wait for the recipes!

Michelle@Peachy Palate     at 11:47 am

Those pancakes look awesome! Do you use eggs or are they vegan?
Can’t wait for the surprise recipe…I’m guessing some sort of salt and pepper tofu!? :)

Sherisse H (@lovesplantbased)     at 1:28 pm

Beautiful pancakes! Can’t wait for the “yummy things” later this week :)

Tina     at 3:24 pm

I’m looking for a perfect vegan pancake recipe. Can I have yours????

padma     at 5:54 pm

OMG having a waffle maker changed my life. I love it so much. Having fresh waffles with whatever flavors you want for breakfast sunday morning is the best weekend present ever.

Congrats to Casey! Hope you all have a safe trip! :D

Stacy @ Stacy Eats     at 7:15 pm

It’s the perfect time to come down to Atlanta! The forecast says it will be warm and sunny here this weekend. Enjoy your vacation!

Tiffany G.     at 7:59 pm

Emily, I’m not far south from Atlanta…Like an hour and a half? I got excited seeing that you mentioned a trip to Atlanta! I would love to come up that way and say HI!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 4:07 am

Cullen is the cutest! I hope you have a wonderful time on vacation with your family!!

jenny     at 6:28 am

We live in Hilton Head! So exciting that you will be down here, I have been reading your blog since I was pregnant (my daughter is almost 19 months) We have a TON of awesome restaurants, Delisheeyo has fresh pressed juices and lots of vegan options. Hope to see you around the island!

Lisa     at 9:47 am

Hi Emily!
I enjoy reading about your wee family & the many adventures you all experience. As a non red-meat eating reader of your blog, I really enjoy reading about your restaurant excursions–would you share a list of your favs to visit & the dishes/meals you all order/consider worthy of a try. Yes, in particular, those in the Seattle & surrounding areas. Many thanx!

Brittany @ Kitchen::Candid     at 11:33 am

French toast is really the best breakfast option. Especially with brioche or challah bread!!!

Stephanie J.     at 5:44 pm

If you haven’t already, you MUST eat at Soul Vegetarian in ATL. It is magical.

Rachael     at 6:49 pm

Just came across your blog and I am so impressed! :) You are like me in a nutshell. Can’t wait to read more.

Jeanette     at 8:08 am

I just realized that I’ve followed you for a full year and never posted a comment. I love your blog and I love following your progression from BC to AC (Before Cullen/After Cullen)

Jeanette

Rachel R.     at 4:06 pm

Hi Emily! I have been following you for a while now, since you lived in Charlotte!
I just spent 5 days in Seattle for the first time visiting my dad who is working in Bremerton. I LOVED it and used a lot of your recommendations- did a lot of touristy things but also hit up the Fremont market and had one of the best meals ever at Cafe Flora! Hoping to find a job in PNW when I’m done with grad school. Have a great time here down south :)

running shoes