Prepping.

We are having one of those weeks where things went from normal and calm, to frenzied and crazy in what felt like an instant.  Suddenly we have a million things all happening at once, and my head is spinning – so much to do!

Despite the chaos, I took a few extra minutes to hang and relax with Cullen this morning while he played with puzzles and looked out the window.  He loves playing in his room, which gives me great opportunities to wash/stuff his diapers, fold laundry, etc – while hanging out with him at the same time.  This black diaper is my absolute favorite!

Capture2 (610x613)

After a quick trip to the grocery store, he and I headed out to a rare weekday morning Barre3 class together.  He hung out in the childcare area while I worked my tail off.  We’ll be traveling for the next two weeks, so I wanted to squeeze in one last class before we go!  Although I might try to find one down in Atlanta while we’re there.

Cullen definitely got his temperature regulation from his dad – he is such a HOT kid!  When he plays hard, he ends up drenched in sweat.  After playing hard in the play kitchen for an hour, he looked like he got a better workout than me!

Capture1 (613x611)

Before heading home, we made a quick stop into Whole Foods for a few necessities for our trip…

And we grabbed a bunch of stuff for dad, who is sick at home with the dreaded stomach bug.  :(  It’s either that or food poisoning (we went out last night) – I hope it passes quickly!  He’s quarantined in our bedroom – I refuse to let me or Cullen get it right before we all jump on an airplane!

He asked me to grab him the only thing that sounded good – Gatorade, coconut water, and lots and lots of (non-dairy) ice cream.  He asked, I delivered.

And now I’m trying to ignore the fact that there are four delicious pints of ice cream taunting me from the freezer.  Dangerous!!  Good thing I have more healthy things also begging to be eaten.

Since we’re going to be gone a while, nothing in our fridge is going to keep.  I’m trying to cook up everything I can so nothing goes to waste.

Lunch was a big bowl of zucchini and mixed mushrooms, topped with a whole avocado.  Yum!

I’m still kind of hungry, so I’m going to go dig through our produce bins and see what needs to be eaten!  Tonight = packing, list-making, laundry, digging out spring/summer clothes, and trying to figure out exactly how to pack for a toddler for two weeks on the go.  I think we might be nuts!

This is my motivation – Seattle vs. Atlanta…

seattleatlanta

Are we there yet!?!  Another recipe coming tomorrow…

jenna k     at 3:28 pm

I’m so glad you’re catching our nice weekends! I live down south, and this is our second weekend of warmer weather (knock on wood). It was glorious last weekend, so I hope you enjoy!!

Shelley     at 4:00 pm

I live in Atlanta and Flybarre at Flywheel is my favorite barre workout, followed by Pure Barre. They are located a few blocks from each other both in Buckhead. There’s a great Whole Foods nearby for post workout smoothies. :-)

katie Reply:

Shelley, I just sent Emily an email about Flybarre. (I’m the family she’s coming to visit). I AM OBSESSED. I just wish it wasn’t so pricey.

Shelley Reply:

Ya I’m surprised flybarre doesn’t try to match PureBarre’s lower pricepoint since they’re so close and flybarre is rarely full. I still go to both and Flywheel.

Maddy Reply:

Hey sorry to jump in on this but I live right by FlyBarre and PureBarre in Buckhead! I’ve never been to either but would love to try it with yall if you go! Email me if you do :)

maddy.hotho (at) verizon.net

elizabeth Reply:

just going to hop on and say that i love both purebarre and flybarre–but flybarre is a little too expensive for an everyday workout!

natalie @ will jog for food     at 4:31 pm

Cullen looks adorable!

I live in Northern Cali, and it actually hit the 70s yesterday, I was SO happy :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 4:39 pm

I’ll have to look for that shampoo! Looks awesome. My kids go to the gym kidcare at least 3 days a week. They love it and have actually gotten pretty attached to the ladies that work there!

Elisabeth     at 4:55 pm

I want that Atlanta weather, too! I live in northern Ohio & I’m tired of winter (even though it’s been decent the last 2 years). Today was nice & springy, though – chilly, but bright & sunny!

Lee     at 5:09 pm

You picked a good time to go. It was only in the low 50s here today but the warm weather is coming tomorrow!

Babs     at 5:15 pm

Cullen looks like he got an incredible workout at the gym.

Murray     at 5:25 pm

Flybarre is awesome!!! I know they would loveto have you while you are in atlanta.

LisaR @ Who Stole My Baby?     at 5:25 pm

Ahh, I would kill for some nice weather. Please. I mean, really, is it springtime yeeeeettt??

Mary     at 5:37 pm

Would you recommend the Say Yes to Carrots brand shampoo and conditioner? Do you use other natural beauty products that you love? I’m looking to switch over to natural shower/makeup products but I need some recommendations!

Sarah G Reply:

I just want to tag along with this question…

I really like it, and have been using for a month or two. I was using Aveda but couldn’t justify the price anymore.

Leah Reply:

I love Yes to Carrots brand shampoo and conditioner. It’s hard for me to find a brand that is natural and yet does not FRIZZ out my hair something fierce. I have really curly hair. I can’t find this size any longer but they have it at Wegman’s and on Amazon. Whole Foods no longer carries this size. I’ve also tried the blueberry “flavor” that they make it’s good too but not as good as the carrot.

Leah Reply:

Burts bees is great too for face wash and body wash…and makeup remover. It’s 100% natural and drug store prices.

Mary Reply:

Thanks guys! A family that I house-sat for recently uses the Everyone Soap, which I LOVED as a body wash. You can use it as a shampoo too but it didn’t really lather up the way non-natural shampoo does unless I used a ton! I have a LOT of hair so I think I would go through it too quickly. That was my first experience with natural plant-based soap so I’m hoping a product designed to be shampoo-only will work out better?

I love Everyone Soap, but I’m a conditioner girl myself. Like, I NEED it. But I like the ES for body wash and baths!

Caryn     at 6:20 pm

If you love barre classes, be sure to check out Core Fusion Barre at exhale while in Atlanta. It’s my addiction!

Michelle     at 7:21 pm

I can’t wait until it gets anywhere above 60! I live in Michigan and so far the best weather we’ve had were in the 40s.

Also, cool lunch. I need to learn how to get creative with eating whatever’s left!

Ashley     at 7:24 pm

I recently started using the Yes to Carrots shampoo and conditioner. I was really surprised at how much I liked them! Definitely a keeper.

Angela     at 10:00 pm

How’s the coconut and almond milk ice cream? I have wanted to try them for so long but don’t want to waste them if I don’t like them… how is the texture compared to regular ice cream? I love my ice cream but it does not like me, I am lactose intolerant and have been looking into alternatives.

Karin Reply:

Angela, coconut milk ice cream is very creamy and rich – tastes very, very similar to ice cream. Texture wise, it’s very smooth. Eating more than a serving (if that) is too much for me, and makes me feel a little ill.

Almond milk tastes a little different (I’ve only had vanilla, no flavors though), similar to ice cream – but almost like soy? The texture is almost like ice cream – I would say a little more icy. I love it drizzled with honey and granola or fruit!

I prefer almond milk ice cream to regular and coconut personally, but it’s worth a shot!

They are okay — not quite the same creaminess of regular ice cream, but definitely a decent alternative. Coconut Dream is my favorite brand!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run     at 10:08 pm

What’s a happenin’ in ATL?

Emily @ Life on Food     at 3:29 am

The weather is definitely a motivator. I would be out the door.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 5:12 am

That weather forecast would be enough to get me to Atlanta!!!! I love the Say Yes to Carrots products. Good luck getting everything ready for your trip!

Michelle@Peachy Palate     at 6:49 am

Love the Yes to Carrots range! The intensive hair mask is awesome! A big bowl of mushrooms for lunch sure who would say no to that…I have hankering now myself and portobellos looking to be eaten!

Kara     at 7:01 am

I live in ATL and highly recommend Pure Barre. Not sure exactly where you are staying but they have multiple locations. I go to the studio in Buckhead, and it’s fabulous!

I have been to PB in Cincinnati — loved it!

padma     at 7:04 am

Cullen has gotten so bit. I remember when he was so tiny, and now he’s like a little big boy now!

Good luck packing! I’m leaving for India next week, and I have yet to get started. SO much craziness going on.
Have fun and stay safe! :)

Megan     at 7:15 am

There is a Bar Method location 10 minutes from Roswell! It is awesome! http://atlanta-eastcobb.barmethod.com/

Thanks for this!!

Heather     at 7:29 am

I feel like more people got the stomach bug this winter than the flu! Luckily, it seems to pass quickly in all the cases I heard of. Have fun on your trip and don’t forget sunscreen :-)

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 8:43 am

Sorry to hear Casey is sick! And right before a trip has to make it even more difficult. I don’t know if you’ve ever used seabands, but you can buy them at Target and they might be really helpful for Casey if he has any nausea while traveling if he still has the stomach bug/food poisoning. Also, a Romanian trick for nausea is to drink a spoonful of lemon juice–my mom always did that for me as a kid and now when I travel and my stomach is upset, I ask for a slice of lemon. Anyway, the weather in Atlanta is enviable!

Brittany @ Kitchen::Candid     at 9:08 am

Hope y’all have a fun trip to HotLanta! ;) I’d highly recommend checking out the aquarium. It is SO neat. I loved the beluga whales and the otters! We don’t have kids yet, but we did take our niece and she loved it!

We are definitely considering the aquarium! Thanks!

Hilary @ PeanutButterSpoonfuls     at 10:37 am

As much as I hate packing, that forecast would get me going. Have a great trip and hope you and Cullen escape the stomach bug!

Cathy     at 11:23 am

Turtle Trails Coconut Milk ice “cream”?? I think I must try this! Hope Casey feels better soon!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 12:23 pm

Packing for 2 weeks for a toddler? Bring everything you own? I think I would end up emptying out the dresser drawers because I’m clueless. They seem to need everything! Hope everyone stays healthy (and gets healthy) for your trip.

You should see the size of my suitcase!!

Samantha     at 1:01 pm

Ahhhhh…now I want ice cream. That is some serious temptation. If we could only even get sun out here right?

I love that you put avocado on everything. I eat a ton of them. Have a great trip.

Amy     at 1:27 pm

Maybe you were hungry because your lunch was only veg and no protein? I can’t survive the afternoon without protein in my lunch (grains, nuts, protein powder, eggs, or beans).

PS I hate packing… good luck!

Beth@Motor City on my Mind     at 1:41 pm

I hope Casey feels better soon, especially for your travels! Enjoy the warm sunny weather!

Stephanie     at 3:28 pm

I also live in Atlanta and recommend a Barre class at West Coast Workout which is next to Whole Foods Market in Buckhead. Have fun!

Thanks for the tip! We are happy to be here!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 8:47 am

I’m so excited for your trip! I hope Casey feels better soon and that you and Cullen stay sickness free!

Emily     at 10:41 am

Love it!
Cullen’s the cutest… can’t wait to have a little guy of my own.

Meri     at 3:28 pm

Atlanta is beautiful right now! You’re going to love it!

"Girl"     at 5:27 pm

This question may come off as kind of mean or whatever, but it’s been bothering me so I’m going to ask. Do you really miss your old life that much?

I don’t understand moving 1,600 miles away from your old friends and your family just to start a new life but you spend $100′s of dollars every other month going to visit them because you miss them so much. If you really want updates about your nieces and newphews and seeing your old friends and old nieghborhood again all the time then why don’t you move back?

I know, I know, it’s rude to ask. I just had to, it was bothering me.

I guess I don’t really understand your question. Do I miss my “old life” that much? No. Do I miss my family? Of course I do! I think it would be pretty unnatural not to. And as for why we live where we do – we moved here for my husband’s job, which is a very normal, common thing to do. We miss our families, but I also talk often about how much we love living where we do. It is perfectly natural to feel both of those things. And we don’t go “home” every other month. We have a lot of visitors come out to us, and we travel to see family often, because that’s something that is important to us and that we (financially) prioritize. And our family is spread out across the country – IN, OH, GA, CT, CO and more – so no matter where we lived we’d always be traveling to spend time with loved ones. I also don’t think it is a strange thing to want to be involved in the lives of my nieces and nephews. I find your question to be much more puzzling.

"Girl" Reply:

Thank you for not taking my question the wrong way…I know it sounded like a terrible one.

My family lives all over the country too, California, Nevada, New Hampshire, Florida, South Carolina, Connecticut, and other places…but I don’t visit them all the time. This might be mostly because we can’t afford it (so true) but even if we could I don’t think I’d see my family as often as you do. Also…we have family drama and issues and people hating each other too but I’m sure every family has some of that. I just can’t seem to get it through my mind why someone would want to visit family members all the time if you live so far away from them. I guess I’m saying that if you love your loved ones so much then move closer? I don’t know..I’m rambling now.

It wasn’t my place to ask, I guess my family just isn’t “normal” so much that they travel thousands of miles to see each other all the time just to see each other again.

We have family drama too, like anyone. Moving closer is not an option for us right now. My husband basically works at the best place he could for his profession, so we’re not going anywhere any time soon.

Leah Reply:

I live 100 miles from my friends and family and have since 1995. I would not change it for the world. I’ve put down roots and it does not bother me that everyone is a plane ride (in some cases) or 1.5-2 hours by car. Home is where the heart is, and if you end up moving for work (as we did) or college and you stay…it’s all what you make of it. I admire Emily for having put down roots in so many parts of the US. It’s not easy…but sometimes you have to make those decisions for college or career. :) I’ve had to settle into my “new” town and it’s taken more than a decade to feel like home. But, a simple plane ride or car ride and I’m back with friends and family. I know you were writing to Emily directly, but I just had to chime in. I think they have done an excellent job of adapting (and falling in love with) Seattle.

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 4:40 pm

Your zucchini and mixed mushrooms, topped with a whole avocado looks so good!

Hope your husband feels better soon.

Leah     at 7:10 am

that’s my shampoooooo! :)

I have trouble finding those sizes sine Whole Foods does not carry them any longer. But Amazon still carries that size and Wegman’s (which I know you don’t have out West).

Christina     at 9:15 am

Cullen looks so much like you in that first picture!

I cannot wait to read all about your travel adventures.

Alexis @ Hummusapien     at 9:35 am

I’m drooling over all those almond milk ice creams! I remeber I tried a praline crunch one a while back and it tastes amazing, with only 7 grams of sugar! Perfection.

Hello Garlic     at 10:30 am

The Whole Foods Carrot Shampoo & Conditioner sounds intriguing.
Almost ‘drive downtown as soon as Baby wakes up from her nap to go buy it’ intriguing. Almost.
Is it worth the drive?

I’m a big fan! They have a whole product line of good stuff. I also use their makeup remover wipes.

PhillyLass     at 5:24 pm

The zucchini and mushroom stir fry looks amazing! Did you put any kind of sauce on it?

Also, I wanted to thank you for posting that carrot/chickpea/curry recipe recently. I just made it and it is *amazing* and, not surprisingly, will be a heavy-rotation recipe from now on!

char eats greens     at 7:54 pm

oh em gee…I LOVE that turtle trails one!!!!!! That zucchini and mushroom mixture looks amazing too. I might have to do something like this next week!!