For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Prepping.

We are having one of those weeks where things went from normal and calm, to frenzied and crazy in what felt like an instant.  Suddenly we have a million things all happening at once, and my head is spinning – so much to do!

Despite the chaos, I took a few extra minutes to hang and relax with Cullen this morning while he played with puzzles and looked out the window.  He loves playing in his room, which gives me great opportunities to wash/stuff his diapers, fold laundry, etc – while hanging out with him at the same time.  This black diaper is my absolute favorite!

Capture2 (610x613)

After a quick trip to the grocery store, he and I headed out to a rare weekday morning Barre3 class together.  He hung out in the childcare area while I worked my tail off.  We’ll be traveling for the next two weeks, so I wanted to squeeze in one last class before we go!  Although I might try to find one down in Atlanta while we’re there.

Cullen definitely got his temperature regulation from his dad – he is such a HOT kid!  When he plays hard, he ends up drenched in sweat.  After playing hard in the play kitchen for an hour, he looked like he got a better workout than me!

Capture1 (613x611)

Before heading home, we made a quick stop into Whole Foods for a few necessities for our trip…

And we grabbed a bunch of stuff for dad, who is sick at home with the dreaded stomach bug.  :(  It’s either that or food poisoning (we went out last night) – I hope it passes quickly!  He’s quarantined in our bedroom – I refuse to let me or Cullen get it right before we all jump on an airplane!

He asked me to grab him the only thing that sounded good – Gatorade, coconut water, and lots and lots of (non-dairy) ice cream.  He asked, I delivered.

And now I’m trying to ignore the fact that there are four delicious pints of ice cream taunting me from the freezer.  Dangerous!!  Good thing I have more healthy things also begging to be eaten.

Since we’re going to be gone a while, nothing in our fridge is going to keep.  I’m trying to cook up everything I can so nothing goes to waste.

Lunch was a big bowl of zucchini and mixed mushrooms, topped with a whole avocado.  Yum!

I’m still kind of hungry, so I’m going to go dig through our produce bins and see what needs to be eaten!  Tonight = packing, list-making, laundry, digging out spring/summer clothes, and trying to figure out exactly how to pack for a toddler for two weeks on the go.  I think we might be nuts!

This is my motivation – Seattle vs. Atlanta…

seattleatlanta

Are we there yet!?!  Another recipe coming tomorrow…

Cathy     at 11:23 am

Turtle Trails Coconut Milk ice “cream”?? I think I must try this! Hope Casey feels better soon!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 12:23 pm

Packing for 2 weeks for a toddler? Bring everything you own? I think I would end up emptying out the dresser drawers because I’m clueless. They seem to need everything! Hope everyone stays healthy (and gets healthy) for your trip.

You should see the size of my suitcase!!

Samantha     at 1:01 pm

Ahhhhh…now I want ice cream. That is some serious temptation. If we could only even get sun out here right?

I love that you put avocado on everything. I eat a ton of them. Have a great trip.

Amy     at 1:27 pm

Maybe you were hungry because your lunch was only veg and no protein? I can’t survive the afternoon without protein in my lunch (grains, nuts, protein powder, eggs, or beans).

PS I hate packing… good luck!

Beth@Motor City on my Mind     at 1:41 pm

I hope Casey feels better soon, especially for your travels! Enjoy the warm sunny weather!

Stephanie     at 3:28 pm

I also live in Atlanta and recommend a Barre class at West Coast Workout which is next to Whole Foods Market in Buckhead. Have fun!

Thanks for the tip! We are happy to be here!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 8:47 am

I’m so excited for your trip! I hope Casey feels better soon and that you and Cullen stay sickness free!

Emily     at 10:41 am

Love it!
Cullen’s the cutest… can’t wait to have a little guy of my own.

Meri     at 3:28 pm

Atlanta is beautiful right now! You’re going to love it!

"Girl"     at 5:27 pm

This question may come off as kind of mean or whatever, but it’s been bothering me so I’m going to ask. Do you really miss your old life that much?

I don’t understand moving 1,600 miles away from your old friends and your family just to start a new life but you spend $100’s of dollars every other month going to visit them because you miss them so much. If you really want updates about your nieces and newphews and seeing your old friends and old nieghborhood again all the time then why don’t you move back?

I know, I know, it’s rude to ask. I just had to, it was bothering me.

I guess I don’t really understand your question. Do I miss my “old life” that much? No. Do I miss my family? Of course I do! I think it would be pretty unnatural not to. And as for why we live where we do – we moved here for my husband’s job, which is a very normal, common thing to do. We miss our families, but I also talk often about how much we love living where we do. It is perfectly natural to feel both of those things. And we don’t go “home” every other month. We have a lot of visitors come out to us, and we travel to see family often, because that’s something that is important to us and that we (financially) prioritize. And our family is spread out across the country – IN, OH, GA, CT, CO and more – so no matter where we lived we’d always be traveling to spend time with loved ones. I also don’t think it is a strange thing to want to be involved in the lives of my nieces and nephews. I find your question to be much more puzzling.

"Girl" Reply:

Thank you for not taking my question the wrong way…I know it sounded like a terrible one.

My family lives all over the country too, California, Nevada, New Hampshire, Florida, South Carolina, Connecticut, and other places…but I don’t visit them all the time. This might be mostly because we can’t afford it (so true) but even if we could I don’t think I’d see my family as often as you do. Also…we have family drama and issues and people hating each other too but I’m sure every family has some of that. I just can’t seem to get it through my mind why someone would want to visit family members all the time if you live so far away from them. I guess I’m saying that if you love your loved ones so much then move closer? I don’t know..I’m rambling now.

It wasn’t my place to ask, I guess my family just isn’t “normal” so much that they travel thousands of miles to see each other all the time just to see each other again.

We have family drama too, like anyone. Moving closer is not an option for us right now. My husband basically works at the best place he could for his profession, so we’re not going anywhere any time soon.

Leah Reply:

I live 100 miles from my friends and family and have since 1995. I would not change it for the world. I’ve put down roots and it does not bother me that everyone is a plane ride (in some cases) or 1.5-2 hours by car. Home is where the heart is, and if you end up moving for work (as we did) or college and you stay…it’s all what you make of it. I admire Emily for having put down roots in so many parts of the US. It’s not easy…but sometimes you have to make those decisions for college or career. :) I’ve had to settle into my “new” town and it’s taken more than a decade to feel like home. But, a simple plane ride or car ride and I’m back with friends and family. I know you were writing to Emily directly, but I just had to chime in. I think they have done an excellent job of adapting (and falling in love with) Seattle.

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 4:40 pm

Your zucchini and mixed mushrooms, topped with a whole avocado looks so good!

Hope your husband feels better soon.

Leah     at 7:10 am

that’s my shampoooooo! :)

I have trouble finding those sizes sine Whole Foods does not carry them any longer. But Amazon still carries that size and Wegman’s (which I know you don’t have out West).

Christina     at 9:15 am

Cullen looks so much like you in that first picture!

I cannot wait to read all about your travel adventures.

Alexis @ Hummusapien     at 9:35 am

I’m drooling over all those almond milk ice creams! I remeber I tried a praline crunch one a while back and it tastes amazing, with only 7 grams of sugar! Perfection.

Hello Garlic     at 10:30 am

The Whole Foods Carrot Shampoo & Conditioner sounds intriguing.
Almost ‘drive downtown as soon as Baby wakes up from her nap to go buy it’ intriguing. Almost.
Is it worth the drive?

I’m a big fan! They have a whole product line of good stuff. I also use their makeup remover wipes.

PhillyLass     at 5:24 pm

The zucchini and mushroom stir fry looks amazing! Did you put any kind of sauce on it?

Also, I wanted to thank you for posting that carrot/chickpea/curry recipe recently. I just made it and it is *amazing* and, not surprisingly, will be a heavy-rotation recipe from now on!

char eats greens     at 7:54 pm

oh em gee…I LOVE that turtle trails one!!!!!! That zucchini and mushroom mixture looks amazing too. I might have to do something like this next week!!

running shoes