Sunshine.

Sun, sun, sun, sun, sun.  That’s what this weekend was about.  We had such a beautiful weekend here – the perfect welcome into March!  Saturday morning the whole family was up early, and we took advantage by heading to one of our favorite Seattle spots – Greenlake!  We walked all the way around the three mile loop.  Warm enough we didn’t even need coats – hello spring!

Cullen made it almost the whole way around the loop, and then hopped out of the stroller so he could trot down the path for the last bit.

Clearly loving it.  And I was loving his casual Saturday outfit.  I kept calling him Rocky!  Don’t mind the Cheerio drool.

After mom and dad got to do their walk, Cullen got a well-earned trip to the playground.

Lots of climbing, sliding, swinging, and smiling ensued.

We headed out to eat afterward at Chaco Canyon – one of my favorite lunch spots on Seattle!  We don’t go out to dinner much these days, so weekend lunches are our treat.  What I wanted was a big stack of french toast, but for some reason I had total order panic at the counter and ended up getting this tex mex salad.  It was good, but it wasn’t french toast.  It was also loaded with red pepper, which was a major fail because Cullen is allergic and I had planned on sharing with him.

Casey got some sort of tofu scramble thing that looked delicious.  Luckily he could share his!  Cullen was all over the tempeh bacon.

And Cullen had his own side of coconut banana chia pudding.  I wasn’t sure what he’d think when I ordered it, but he wolfed down the whole bowl.

We went home for nap time, when it promptly started pouring rain – perfect timing!  We cozied up inside for a while, and then went out for coffee in the neighborhood in the evening.  We have discovered the key to keeping Cullen happy in a coffee shop…

His own (empty) cup!  He is obsessed with tipping it back, taking a “drink,” and taking the lid on and off.  Such a Seattle boy.

Mom enjoyed one of her very favorite things in the whole wide world.  The Café Ladro vegan oat bar – totally made up for the lack of french toast at brunch.  Washed down with minty iced tea because I overdid it on coffee earlier in the day.

Back at home, we had a nice (rare) family meal in the formal dining room.  Cullen enjoyed field roast and leftover Indian food.

While mom and dad wolfed down gigantic Qdoba burritos.  Yum.

Saturday was nice, but Sunday was even better.  We headed over to Ballard to walk through our favorite market.

Cullen and I shared some delicious market goodies on the sidewalk.  We also ran into two sets of friends!  I love living in a big city that feels small.

Left one market and headed to another – this time in Fremont!  I love the big rainbow flags Seattle uses for all the official city markets.

Artsy entertainment everywhere you looked.  Check out the little dog curled up at the guitarists feet!

Cullen has not been feeling his BOB stroller recently (read: crying, screaming, thrashing, torture), so we borrowed a different stroller from a friend to test out something that sits a bit more upright.  Verdict?  Success!  He did much, much better in a more upright seat.  Not sure what we’re planning to do just yet (new stroller = $$$), but good to know about other options!

We strolled along the Burke-Gilman trail, winding around the sparkling water on the canal.

When we lived in Fremont, this was my walking route every day.  I still miss it so much!

We made our way up to Gasworks Park, where Cullen had a wonderful time running around in the sunshine, and I had a wonderful time snapping a zillion pictures in one of Seattle’s most scenic spots.

Little boy, big city.

Cannot.

Handle.

The cuteness!

He was really into the gravel – picking it up and throwing it into the air.  It got me really excited to take him to the beach in a few weeks.  We have a really fun trip coming up in March where we’ll be gone for a while and get to see BOTH of our families!  The second half is a memorial trip (and family reunion!) to officially say goodbye to my grandparents, and it will be Cullen’s first time at a beach since he was just a newbie.  I can’t wait.

At some point I handed my camera to Casey hoping for some nice shots of C with mom and – you know – the incredible city scape behind us.  Looked at my camera later and saw that I got this.  Sigh.  :)

We walked back through the Fremont market before heading home, and Casey and I each got a giant vegan plate from the Indian food vendor.  Total naan deliciousness – Cullen couldn’t get enough!

Spent the rest of Sunday doing family stuff at home, and then cozied up watching episode after episode of Downtown Abbey.  We are starting season three tonight – wheeeeee!

I realized this morning that I didn’t cook anything but breakfast at home this weekend.  A major treat, and my barren dishwasher and clean sink are thanking me for it.  But now it’s time to get cooking again and jump into a new week.

Season three starts…now!

Samantha     at 8:29 pm

This weekend was a weather relief. :) Interesting about the stroller. It is funny what kids can’t say or explain a discomfort so they just resort to unbridled emotions. I am glad there is an option still for you!

afarmerinthedell.com     at 8:29 pm

what a lovely weekend Emily! The sun finally came out for us in Hood River, OR this weekend as well. It felt SO good!

Sana     at 8:40 pm

Why would you need to cook when you can have all the awesome food Seattle has to offer?

That’s what I’m thinking too. :)

Emily     at 8:57 pm

Where did you find season 2 of Downton? I can only find 1 and 3. I know it’s possible to buy 2, but is it on hulu or netflix for free right now short term?

We bought it on iTunes. :/ I was too impatient to wait for it!

Emily Reply:

argh…that’s the option i’m weighing now. I keep thinking if we just hold out it’ll end up on hulu or netflix for free.

Emily     at 8:57 pm

Beth @ AttemptBalance.com Reply:

I watched season 1 and 2 recently on Hulu Plus, I just did the free week and then ended up paying for 1 month (7.99) before canceling. Totally worth it to get caught up!

Emily Reply:

worth it agreed. i’m just usually too lazy to cancel subscriptions and end up way overpaying.

Janine     at 9:25 pm

I know I comment a lot but I absolutely love reading about your adventures in sea/Kirk because I’m a new mom in kirkland.
Just wondering- how did you know C was allergic to red peppers do early? I am dealing with some fussiness while breastfeeding and wondering if you knew then?

Thanks lady!
Janine

He got big red welts on his cheeks the first time he chewed on one, and same reaction each time he’s been exposed since. But didn’t seem affected by me ever eating it!

Carly @ Snack Therapy     at 9:31 pm

I’ve heard that coffee stunts growth. Maybe if you start filling those cups up with real coffee, you’ll be able to keep Cullen a sweet little baby forever! It looks like you guys had a perfect family weekend. I’m dying over that Indian food! Yum :).

Haha hilarious!

Maren     at 10:02 pm

I love that C’s legs are crossed as he’s chillin’ in the fancy stroller!

Rebecca     at 10:12 pm

Sunday was gorgeous! My running group actually passed by the Fremont Market. I was sad that I was too tired to enjoy it but it was a lovely day for 9 miles. Glad you guys got your sunshine in!

Great day for a run, too!

Michelle H     at 10:20 pm

Your posts about your weekends make me want to move to Seattle so much! I visited it a few years ago with my husband and just fell in love with the Pacific Northwest. I’m a Southern California native and have been slowly making my way north (currently in the Sacramento region), so maybe I’ll eventually get there. :-)

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run     at 10:24 pm

the coffee cup thing is cracking me up — too cute.

looks like a wonderful weekend full of healthful food :)

Michelle@Peachy Palate     at 12:16 am

Wow that food all looks amazing! The perfect family filled weekend, super jealous of all the sunshine!

Hilary     at 3:30 am

Emily- have you ever considered an inexpensive umbrella stroller ? I have a super cheap one that I like a lot ($15).

Kristie Reply:

I was going to mention this too!

Yep, we are looking at those too! Just trying to decide if that’s a good option for longer distances, but I think it would be good to have anyway!

Babs     at 3:40 am

I love your weekend recaps. That oat bar looks good. And your little Rocky looks adorable in the very small adidas sweatpants (I almost died from the cuteness).

Simply Life     at 4:06 am

looks like a great weekend! I loved living in Seattle- there are so many great places to go!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 4:23 am

Yay for sunshine! What a fun weekend :)

Shari     at 4:46 am

Seattle looks like such a beautiful place. So glad you were able to get out and enjoy it! :)

Mina     at 5:10 am

I’m in NE Ohio so I’m having major weather envy! Where did you get the scarf you had in the Saturday pictures?

Mina

It’s from a local Seattle artist called Tuesday Shop. I have a bunch of them – I LOVE her stuff!

Mina Reply:

Thanks! They have an etsy shop, I’ll be placing an order soon!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 5:28 am

We had some sunshine in PA this weekend, but it only made it to the low 40s and it felt even colder because of the wind! I’m dreaming of warm temps and ditching my coat. I’m also dreaming of farmers markets! Spring come fasterrrrrrrrrr

elizabeth @ chronic venture     at 5:57 am

what a great weekend!! the picture of Cullen drinking his “coffee” is probably one of the cutest things I have ever seen!

Christina     at 5:57 am

Your post makes me want to visit Seattle! It looks like such an amazing place to raise a family. I’ll second the comment above about an inexpensive umbrella stroller – I bought one for $10 and I keep it in the trunk of my car. It’s perfect for crowded areas, like farmers markets or restaurants, because it’s really small and maneuverable. We use it more than our City Mini!

Yep, we are also looking at umbrella strollers. Just trying to decide if that’s a good option for longer distances, but honestly at this point we’re not walking more than 2-3 miles at a time with him. Thanks for the tip!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 6:01 am

I’m living for the day when we can walk around in sweatshirts. How glorious. I’ve got to say, the picture of Cullen tipping the empty coffee cup back is absolutely hilarious. I couldn’t stop laughing!! :)

Was Cullen always allergic to red peppers? Peppers in general or just red? Is he allergic to anything else?

He’s only tried red, since those have given him a reaction. I haven’t tried other since I’m trying to avoid any more flare ups! First reaction was around nine months old.

Taylor     at 6:07 am

Emily, what type of stroller is that? We are having the same issue with our 18 month old and the BOB. I want to find one that is more upright without spending a fortune. I had a Baby Jogger City Mini that we sold because it too reclined.

It is the Uppa Baby Vista – great stroller but really pricey. Can’t decide if it’s worth it at this age, since I think he’ll be out of a stroller all together soon enough! We’re also looking at just getting a simple umbrella stroller.

Taylor Reply:

Thanks Emily! That’s what I am looking at too (umbrella), although Griffin really likes the tray that some of the bigger strollers have.

Yeah I think the advantages to a bigger stroller are the tray, cargo storage, and good shade protection, but I know there are umbrella strollers that have similar features too. The search continues! :)

Leah     at 6:19 am

I’m such a nerd–the blue thing on the right of that bridge totally looks like a TARDIS.

Great post–so very different than my 4 days in Maine (with lots of snow–rare for March). :)

I can’t wait until our outdoor markets come back!!

Haha I have no idea what a TARDIS is. :)

Leah Reply:

hehe. Oh. It’s from Dr. Who. :)

padma     at 6:23 am

Just finished season 2 of Downton, can’t wait to get started on season 3.

I can’t wait to visit Seattle. Your pictures, and all the great places to eat just make it seem like such a wonderful place! It’s definitely at the top of my places to visit: U.S. edition :D

Emily     at 6:29 am

Looks like such a fun, beautiful “almost spring” weekend. I love the ones of Cullen walking in his Rocky outfit!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}     at 6:32 am

I love that Cullen is such an adventurous eater!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health     at 6:54 am

Great job Cullen on 3 miles! He is so adorable. I love all of your restaurant reviews of Seattle. Makes me want to visit there!

You should!

Heather     at 7:08 am

I love Cullen strutting his stuff in the first few pictures haha. Maybe try a “mother’s market”- they hold them at churches around here where moms buy and sell all their baby gear to other moms. You can make out like a bandit :-) It’s supposed to be in the 50′s this weekend in PA, wahoo!

Bridget Miller     at 7:22 am

the photo of you and Cullen is really really cute—cityscape or not :)

Julie     at 7:24 am

Emily-you should just get yourself an umbrella stroller for outings like that. They’re all very inexpensive and there are some with features or some without any features at all. We had one for both my kids for outings like that and they worked great – best $50 spent! They’re extremely portable also. Babies R Us has several different ones. The one I had didn’t have alot of shade protection over the top so I bought this to go over the top.

Julie Reply:

Ooops, I didn’t realize there were other suggestions about the umbrella stroller! I hadn’t read the comments!

No worries! It is a good suggestion! :)

Kristi     at 8:05 am

Who wouldn’t enjoy a ride in that stroller? Looks really comfy! Sucks about the price tag though b/c it looks a lot more convenient than the BOB for markets, malls, etc. We also have the BOB and will probably get an umbrella stroller to supplement especially since we have a couple plane trips this year and I don’t want to check a nice stroller! I do think we’ll try to get one that is a step above the super cheapies hopefully with better shade. Also consider the handle height – a friend has the typical cheap one and doesn’t even like it for short walks because she has to lean and it hurts her back. Keep us posted!

Marie Reply:

I just wanted to chime in! We also have a BOB Revolution and while I love it, my 10 month old daughter doesn’t love it as much as me! I do notice that she seems too reclined and almost uncomfortable looking in it. :( It’s like she’s too reclined to really look around as we walk.
Do any fellow BOB users know if there is a way to sit the back up further?
Or anyone have a good recommendation on an affordable umbrella stroller to supplement the pricey BOB? (an umbrella stroller that could be used for airports, malls, and even shorter walks.) Does anyone have toodlers that will nap in their umbrella stoller?

obviously I’m full of questions….thanks Emily!

Pam Reply:

We have a BOB stroller too. This might be obvious, but have you tried connecting the red straps (the ones that hold the infant carrier in) around the back? Seems like when I do this, it helps my little one sit more upright!

Elizabeth Reply:

We have a Macleran Volos Umbrella Stroller and love it. I originally bought it for airport travel when my little guy was 6 months old but now we use ot for a lot more (he’s a year). It’s perfect for the mall, stores, quick walk around the park. It has a fairly generous sunshade for umbrella strollers, though not perfect. It is also designed for taller moms/dads too and has nice handles. I think it is $120 but I used the 20% Amazon mom coupon last year. I have a BOB too and basically just use it for longer park/uneven ground trips.

Love your blog so much Emily! Cullen is such a cutie :)

Great tips on the stroller – thanks!!

Emily     at 8:50 am

Looks like you had a great weekend! This post is making me so excited for spring…I’m definitely getting cabin fever in the Northeast. Can’t wait to be outside again in the sun :)

Katie @ Sereniy in the Storm     at 9:20 am

Looks like a lovely weekend. Love, love, love Chaco Canyon… Now, I’m craving their artichoke melt sandwich and salad. Yum! It was truly glorious Seattle spring weather this weekend. We made it to the dog park and out into the garden (finally!). Now back to cloudy and chilly, which I also love. :-)

Jen Diamond     at 9:20 am

Do you think the Uppababy would be good on trails or uneven sidewalks? We have the Chicco keyfit, and it is really only good on well maintained sidewalks…I would love something that could handle grass or more varied terrain…and I love that this one he can face me without being in his carseat…Any ideas would be appreciated!

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron Reply:

I have the Uppa Baby Vista and have used it on trails and grass. I’ve even run with it a few times even though it is not technically a jogging stroller (and I stopped using it as one). It does pretty well, as long as there are not huge roots and stuff in the way on the trails. The seat can face you or face forward and is super easy to turn, which has come in handy on some more cranky walks.

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 9:22 am

Did you borrow an Uppa Baby Vista? That’s the stroller we have and we ADORE it. it’s grown really well with C and we even have the second seat for our nanny share. Both kids love riding in it and I love that when it’s time for a second baby there’s a platform attachment that C can stand and ride on in case she doesn’t want to be strapped into a seat. It’s an expensive stroller, but so far in our experience, well worth the investment.

amanda     at 9:40 am

Season 3 is a doozie, buckle your seat belt!!

Kate     at 9:40 am

Emily – we LOVE our UppaBaby Vista stroller. Periodically Zulily will have them on their site for decent discounts (30ish%). We got ours from Albee Baby and got a great deal on it because we were choosing a discontinued color.

Now that we’re expecting #2, I plan to get the additional seat to be able to add on so that we don’t have to get a double wide stroller. I liked that tray that the one you borrowed has. I might have to look into getting that too!

Kate Reply:

And PS – we also have the UppaBaby G-Luxe stroller as our umbrella/travel stroller. Love it too!

Carrie     at 9:48 am

Your pictures make me ache to be back out west! I can’t wait until we move back out to Vancouver, BC. this summer. I look forward to checking out some of the yummy looking restaurants you post about in Seattle too!

Heidi     at 10:19 am

That stroller is awesome. It was between that one or a Bugaboo Chameleon for us (both have a similar upright position). And we got ours from the Seattle Craigslist, in fabulous condition, for about 1/5 of the new price.

Jacquelyn     at 10:42 am

I love his little crossed legs in the stroller!

Katie     at 10:43 am

My family was in Fremont after the Hot Chocolate 15k on Sunday, and we saw your fam! :) Wanted to say hi but we were in our car – my husband noticed the Uppababy first thing, we have the same one, and LOVE it. I was like OMG it’s the Daily Garnish girl with the Uppa baby! haha :)

Mikayla     at 10:43 am

LOL @ “such a Seattle boy”! I’m your neighbour from Vancouver, BC and the coffee culture is very much alive and kicking here as well :) You and the fam should come down for a visit!

Jenna     at 11:31 am

Hi Emily.
I nanny for 3yr old boys, we go for lots of walks and the huge double stroller was to big and bulky. so, about a year ago I bought an umbrella stroller at a garage sale. They usually run around $60 and are light weight. The kids love it. They will sit and I think it’s because they are sitting more up right and can see more.
This might be something to consider for the price.
Hope this helps.

jen     at 11:40 am

looks like a beautiful weekend :)

so happy for you every time i read these posts. xo

Lauren     at 12:04 pm

What a fabulous weekend it was! Have you ever tried to recreate those oat bars? I would love to give it a whirl if you have a recipe to share!

I loved that we got some sun this past weekend. You know, before all of the rain that is coming soon. Looks like you all had a great time!

Sarah     at 1:07 pm

I want to visit Seattle so badly, but will definitely schedule a trip for the late Spring/summer. I get enough gray days in New England.

Hilary @ PeanutButterSpoonfuls     at 1:13 pm

I love all the sunshine in those pics! Cullen’s little arm sway in that first picture is just adorable, he’s really got a good strut going. It looks like that other stroller has him facing you, I wonder if that helped him too in addition to sitting upright?

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 4:28 pm

I need to watch Downtown Abbey! Everyone is raving about it!

julie o     at 5:42 pm

Take it slow on the 3rd season of Downton…we just finished the end of season 3!!! Sooo sad…I cried twice during season 3..hello it is only a show!!!! I can not believe I have to wait until 2014 for a new season!!!

Heather     at 6:00 pm

sounds like a wonderful weekend! I am obsessed of the pic of cullen in the swing. He looks so happy!

Jacquelynn     at 6:48 pm

What a wonderful weekend! I have been looking into veg foods I can prepare when my baby is ready to start solids. I am due in July. The chia pudding is a great idea! Does Cullen have any trouble with it (digestion or anything)?

Seemed to be fine!

Beth     at 6:59 am

Beautiful weekend! We just discovered the first daffodils & crocus sprouting here in Brooklyn – hello spring!

I know you’ve mentioned it before, but where is your bag from. Looking for something new…

Sarah     at 7:33 am

Cullen’s crossed feet in the stroller. Stop it.

Sigh. I know.

Navya Diwakar     at 7:48 am

Having seen glimpses of Seattle only via Grey’s Anatomy show ( I live in India) – every time I see pictures on your blog, I compare them to some episode of Grey’s. What can I say? I am a fan of both GA as well as your blog!

Btw – that section plate of Cullen eating left over Indian food is awesome! I should try to find something similar for my own son here.

Lara     at 9:17 am

Looks like a fantastic weekend in Seattle! I would love to copy your old walking route one of these days…now that it is sunnier, I want to explore more on foot than just Greenlake!

We have the UppaBaby Vista stroller and G loves it so far. I’m glad to see we will get use out of it longer term, too!

It literally PAINS me that you are right there and not taking advantage of all these Fremont gems. :) Get out there!!

Diana     at 10:28 am

Just discovered your blog via Sparkpeople and I’ve already passed it along to my daughter. My grandson is about Cullen’s age and I know she will love it, too. I live in Vancouver and often trip down to Seattle for weekend jaunts. The cities are so similar and I love them both. Love your vegan, veggie recipes, too. I’ve been living like this for about six months now and will never go back.

So happy you found the blog! Welcome! :)

sheila     at 10:59 am

love your scarf :)

lauren     at 12:48 pm

headed to Topsail?!?!

I WISH. Hilton Head – next best thing. :)

Teresa     at 6:18 pm

Emily your posts are so great- love your blog. I had a business trip last week and I stayed in Ballard- we ate at Carte de Oaxaca and had the strawberry champagne cupcakes at Cupcake Royale. Tried to get into Delancey’s, but it was too long a wait. Also saw Silver Linings Playbook at the movie theatre there. It was so much fun- I enjoyed driving through Fremont, too, and thought of you guys and your blog. Would’ve loved to park and see the chocolate factory (chocolate with bread!? woah!), but parking was scarce that afternoon. Seattle is lovely, I hope to be back! Oh…. one more spot we ate that I loved downtown- Cheeky’s Cafe! Delish and so fresh!

So glad you had a nice visit! Sounds like you hit a lot of great spots. :)

Gabrielle     at 7:48 am

In the first picture of Cullen with his coffee cup is that a temporary tattoo on his hand?