Weekend in Atlanta.

Not a typical weekend post, but instead one that took us clear across the country!  We ran around Friday getting ready, and then we were up at 4am Saturday to catch our flight.  It was a little over four hours in the air, which is a long time for a one year old, but Cullen did pretty well.  I had hoped he would still get in his afternoon nap, but he only snoozed for about 20 minutes.  Long enough to snap a photo!

Capture (602x566)

We were more than ready to get off the plane and stretch our legs when we landed in Atlanta.  It took a while for us to get our rental car and make our way to Roswell, and we finally pulled up my brother/sister-in-law’s driveway around 6pm.  It was a gorgeous, sunny spring day in the south – warm enough to take your shirt off and eat tortilla chips on the back deck.

We spent the rest of the day catching up with family, lounging out back, and enjoying the sunshine and warm air.  Sunday morning brought a good night’s rest, and delicious homemade waffles!  Finally!  This sealed the deal that I absolutely have to get a waffle maker.

It was another really nice, warm day, so a few of us headed to a local park so Cullen could check out the toddler playground.  As usual, it was all about the slide.

And watching all the bigger kids – he’s obsessed!

He also hit the swings for a bit.  I can’t get over how much he looks like Casey in this picture – absolute spitting image of how he looked at this age.

High fives for everyone!

It felt strange to be running around in short sleeves and feeling all that warm sun.  It makes me so excited for when summer does finally make it’s way to Seattle (realistically, August).  I can’t get enough!

Back at home, we discovered that perhaps there is a green thumb in the family after all…

Uncle Kirt taught Cullen how to go over and get water out of the faucet, and then water a few old flower pots left from last year.  He’s in that toddler stage where once he finds a fun activity, he just wants to do it over and over and over (and over) again.  Too funny.

More water, please!

Emma dog is not impressed.  She has a new baby sister coming in May, so having Cullen around has been a good test run.  She has needed a few extra snuggles.

Aunt Katie to the rescue with a full water pitcher.  Look at her adorable belly!  I am resisting the urge to touch it every ten minutes.

Backyard baby.  He might look like daddy, but he definitely gets his love of the outdoors from me.  He and I spent most of the day in the backyard, and when we weren’t, he was walking around the neighborhood with his Grandpa and Mimi.  Reminds me of when I was little and I’d spend the entire day in our backyard.  My mom would have to beg me to come inside for dinner.

Okay, enough photos – I know.  I can’t help myself.  Give me a nice day and a camera and I can really blow up a memory card.

We are just happy to be here.  Looking forward to a fun week ahead with Casey’s family, and a wonderful celebration for my SIL and new niece this coming weekend!  And of course, celebrating St. Patrick’s Day in style this past weekend.

Had to have the watering can to get a smile.  Afraid it might be coming home in our suitcase.

Since it was such a gorgeous day, dinner was a backyard cookout.  Veggies and burgers for everyone – both black bean and ground beef.

Along with delicious fresh asparagus – one of my favorites.

And a very grumpy toddler, who always looks like this right around dinner time.

I really want to get a grill this year.  I talked about it all last summer and Casey kept talking me out of it.  But this year it is happening!

Such a summery and delicious plate of food.  Totally hit the spot.  Also – coleslaw on top of a veggie burger = heaven.

Only thing that can make it even better?  Eating outside in the sunshine.

Life is good.  And better spent with loved ones!  Now Casey is off to his conference (an hour north of here), and Kirt and Katie are back to work for the week.  So C and I are hanging at the house with my in-laws and exploring Atlanta together.  I’m hoping to get a lot of work and baby shower prep done with so many extra hands around to help!  Originally I was going to spend this first half of the week alone in Seattle (flying out on Wednesday), but I’m really glad I decided to come early.  Excited for the week ahead!

Sarah     at 1:29 pm

I live in Roswell! That was the most beautiful weekend we just had. Hope you have a great time with your family.

Lee     at 1:39 pm

Glad you got to enjoy some nice weather before it got yucky today.

Yeah boo to the rain, but excited for a THUNDERSTORM! We don’t have thunder in Seattle since we are locked in between mountains – very strange!

Amanda Reply:

Weird. I live in Seattle, and we get thunder. :)

Maybe once a year? Nothing like the storms in the rest of the country. We get spitty, misty rain. And then once a summer we get an actual downpour. I’m not making it up!

Amanda     at 1:43 pm

I’m going to be spending a lot of time in Atlanta for the next month for work. I’d love to hear about any restaurants that you find! I’m working on a hotel project aimed at eating healthy (our test kitchen is drenched in vegan/vegetarian goodies). We went to Antico for pizza last week – def a fun place for you and your husband to check out. GREAT pizza!

I don’t think we’ll be going out much, but I’ll let you know if we do!

Amanda Reply:

PS I’ve been pretty quiet on your blog, but I’m still reading and loving your Seattle adventures! So crazy to think how long it’s been since you have been in DC and I was asking you about going to culinary school!

Jessica Reply:

Amanda, you might want to try Cafe Sunflower, R. Thomas and/or Green Sprout!

Rachel     at 1:46 pm

I live a couple hours south of Atlanta. Glad you are enjoying the beautiful weather! I am sure you guys will have a lot of fun exploring. I bet Cullen would love the Georgia Aquarium!

Hoping to get there later this week!

Hilary @ PeanutButterSpoonfuls     at 1:51 pm

Looks like a great time! My 18 month old is beyond obsessed with being outside. He will scream OUTSIIIIIIDE starting at 6 am when it’s still dark out. He would love to play with Cullen and that watering can!

Too funny! Cullen did the same thing this morning. He was at the double doors before he’d even had breakfast!

Em     at 1:52 pm

Sorry those black bean burgers are the worst veggie burgers I’ve ever made. Have you tried lentil and sweet potato or tufu burgers with cabbage, carrot and mushroom, or even chickpea burgers?
The recipe on your website it tasteless and dry

Sorry you don’t like them! They are actually one of my most popular recipes, and we love them. I also have a recipe for chickpea burgers that are also quite good. But to each his own!

Hannah Reply:

Yeah, I would look back at the recipe and be sure you measured correctly, Em. I LOVE these black bean burgers- easily the best veggie burger I’ve ever made. I’ve made them for crowds, meat eaters included, who always rave about them. Thanks again, Emily!!

Whitney Reply:

Wow Em, you really have a way with words!

Heidi     at 1:54 pm

My husband is at that conference too! Maybe they’ll finally meet. :)

Omg too funny! I’ll tell Casey to keep a look out for him! Also – I owe you an email. :)

Heidi Reply:

Charlie said they were in a session together. Pretty cool that our guys both got their FSAs! Crazy amount of work in that accomplishment. And I tried out two different classes, btw, so will fill you in on that sometime when you’re back home.

Jola     at 2:04 pm

Cullen’s dinner time face is so cute! Hope you spent some really nice time with everyone! :)

Caitlin     at 2:07 pm

I’m not far from you at all!! I agree that this past weekend was incredible. I adore every photo you post, but esp. love the ones where Cullen’s belly is poking out from under his polo. Too adorable!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run     at 2:11 pm

Cullen is a well-traveled toddler ;)

Love your yellow and green scarf.

& yum, asparagus… you’re making me think it’s almost Spring!

Megan McColgin     at 2:29 pm

I’d still love to meet up! Let me know if you have anytime to spare?

Beth@Motor City on my Mind     at 2:40 pm

I’m glad you guys are enjoying your time in the warm weather! Good luck with the baby shower!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}     at 3:08 pm

Love his little belly hanging out of that shirt! Hope you guys have a great week!

Rachel     at 3:25 pm

I hope you guys had fun in Atlanta/Roswell! I grew up in Marietta right on the border with Roswell. I love the area. I’m in Knoxville, TN right now, but I was actually visiting my parents in Atlanta this weekend too! I ran my second marathon, the Publix/Atlanta marathon and got a new PR (4:15)!!! It was amazing weather! I can’t wait till it comes to Knoxville also. It’s suppose to be 30s and 40s this week again. I am ready for sunshine and short sleeves! I hope you have a safe journey back home!

afarmerinthedell.com     at 3:59 pm

Glad you made it safely! I am jealous of the warm weather! And by the way, Cullen is hired if he wants to come water all of our seedlings up at our farm! That asparagus has me drooling :)

Emily @ Life on Food     at 4:41 pm

I got a grill last year after never having one. It has changed our lives. Do it!

Kim     at 7:03 pm

So cute! I can’t wait for it to warm up in Chicago – I’m so over this cold weather and clouds.

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 7:17 pm

What a fun weekend! I love that scarf. I’m Irish and proud. Is it from a big chain?

Brittany @ Kitchen::Candid     at 7:29 pm

Haha I can relate to Cullen’s love of watering! I have a tendency to overly water my plants…I’ve lost more than one basil and now my husband teases me that I love them too much. whoops! :) Glad y’all are having a good time! Visiting family is so special!

padma     at 7:49 pm

It got quite warm in sunny florida, and we were finally able to have breakfast, lunch and dinner all outside. It was glorious. I love eating out in the patio. It makes everything feel more romantic and just more fun!

Babs     at 9:27 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one pining away for a wafflemaker. I even looked for one at Target here and they didn’t have any. It’s definitely on my next to-buy list.

Have a fun (and productive) vacation :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 9:30 pm

Isn’t Cullen an Irish name? Bet that makes St. Patrick’s day a little more fun, right? :) Glad you enjoyed some sun!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 3:50 am

What a great trip! Those burgers make me want summer food now! I can’t wait.

Katie     at 6:24 am

Eek! I’m from Roswell and my folks still live there. Do you mind sharing what toddler park you went to? We usually go to the Roswell Rec (on Woodstock), but it’s often not very sunny so the equipment stays wet if it’s rained in the last 24 hours. Boo. I’d love to find a new spot for him to try out. Thanks!

Jen     at 7:05 am

I just ordered a proctor silex Belgian waffle iron on amazon. Under $30 and recommended by Sara from Sprouted Kitchen. I used it for waffles this past weekend and they were perfect.

Whitney     at 8:47 am

I am very surprised you don’t have a grill! Does Casey not like to grill out!? I thought most men did. We look forward to it every summer :) Hope you continue to enjoy your visit.

Jane     at 1:29 pm

Absolutely get a grill. We eat grilled meals practically every day of the summer. I think it’s paid for itself in less than a month in terms of how much use we get out of it.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 2:25 am

Waffle maker and grill – yes to both! Use each weekly. So jealous of playing outside without crazy amount of layers. We just got dumped with a ton of snow yesterday. C’mon spring!

chiara     at 6:51 am

I hope you do a post about your SIL’s shower. I’m excited to see what amazing vegetarian fare you put out for everyone. Enjoy your time away from home!

Morgan     at 10:37 am

Love a good grill out meal! The asparagus is making me drool :) There is nothing like time spent outside with loved ones. Looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing :)

Mike @ Midwestern Bite     at 7:31 am

That first pic reminds me of all the times our kiddo has fallen asleep.

Mouth is Agape! Mouth is Agape!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 7:58 am

Don’t worry. I don’t get tired of the Cullen pictures.

I am SUPER jealous people are able to eat outside and not wear multiple layers this time of the year–let alone in the summer. It is too cool–even in the summer–to comfortably do those things here in Alaska. :(