To Run.

This isn’t the post I planned to write today, but I don’t feel like I can move forward without stopping to talk for a minute about Boston.  I couldn’t write anything yesterday.  I spent the afternoon in disbelief, either glued to my Twitter feed and news stations, or fiercely hugging my family and reminding myself of everything I have to be grateful for.

These national events always shake us for a while, and it’s hard to know how and when to pick up the pieces and carry on.  I’ve spent today feeling reflective, more patient, and not the least bit bothered by the rainy weather and the kid who didn’t nap.  I am so incredibly lucky.

Today, Cullen and I are wearing our blue and yellow running shirts – in honor and memory of the victims of yesterday’s bombing.

And while this incident has nothing to do with me, I can’t help but feel reflective on my own running journey, as well as inspired to formally jump back into a community that has been such a big part of my past.

So I thought I’d take a minute to talk about where things might go from here.  As soon as I heard about what happened in Boston, I wanted to lace up my shoes, head out the door, and bang my frustrations out on the pavement.  Somewhere behind this pregnant belly and worn out running shoes, there is still a very motivated and passionate runner.  And if yesterday taught me anything, it’s that there will always be a reason to want to wait – until the weather gets warmer, until the stroller gets easier, until the timing is more convenient.  But time is a gift, and it’s not to be taken for granted.

Casey and I feel strongly that we want our kids to grow up feeling motivated and inspired by their parents dedication and commitment to running.  I want them to spend Saturday mornings cheering on the sidelines, and I hope it pushes them to set their own goals to work toward – whatever those might be.  I hope it is something that makes them smile.

Several years and another body ago, I ran a 3:50 marathon.  I always laughed when people commented that I had been so close to qualifying for Boston – just ten minutes off the qualifying time.  Anyone who runs knows that ten minutes might as well be an hour, and really isn’t close at all.  But I still hold out delusions that some day I might get to the starting line of Boston.  Not any time soon, but some day.

In the meantime, I’m going to stop taking my time and abilities for granted, and I’m going to start putting my feet on the pavement more often.  Up until now, I’ve been casually jogging here and there through this pregnancy, but nothing consistent.  I ran five miles on the beach on vacation, and I’ve done a handful of runs around the neighborhood (just 2 and 3 miles) since I’ve been home.

My biggest motivator to get back into running, is to be part of the local running community that I love so much.  I love the feeling of camaraderie at the starting line, the nervous chatter throughout the first mile, the synchronized beeping of watches as the mile markers tick past.  I know that I’m not in a place right now to do anything lofty or competitive, but that doesn’t mean I can’t participate.

And so rather than sit by on the sidelines, I’m going to take advantage of this summer racing season for as long as I can.  I’m signing up for a 5k coming up in two weeks, and I have my eye on another as early as this weekend.  I won’t be scared away from the starting line.  Life is too short and time is too precious, and I appreciate the reminder to soak it all up while I can.

Like so many others, I will head out this evening and run my local streets, but my heart will be in Boston.  If I know anything about runners, I’d guess that next year’s race will have more eager participants than ever, and this will only make their city and their legacy even stronger.

For another running-centered parenting post, check out the latest on Babble: 10 Lessons My Child Can Learn From the Running Community

Sana     at 3:45 pm

I love my local running community. I am sadly missing out on a group run tonight because of allergies but I can’t wait to be back out with them next week!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 3:46 pm

Way to fight back with positivity and dedication! The running community is such an amazing group of strong people!

Bethany @ One Girl's Taste On Life     at 3:49 pm

Emily, I loved your post today. I’m new to the running community, but it’s amazing how banded together everyone is about this topic. I had the same thought yesterday:

“Bethany ‏@OneGirlsTaste
As tired as I am and as early as I have to get up, I run today for Boston.”

Everyone should run a little bit longer, a little bit faster, and with a little more heart this week as we remember. Thanks for the post.

PS…it’s completely off topic but you are glowing in that first picture. Looking forward to following your second pregnancy!

Simply Life     at 3:53 pm

what a great post. I’m in Boston (so grateful my husband and I are okay) and now running has an entirely new meaning.

Rebecca     at 3:58 pm

You gotta do “Run Like A Mother” on Mother’s Day, May 12th. You can even run with the stroller! I’m debating running with Molly but either way she’ll be there cheering for her Momma.

I am going to be out of town that day. :( Super bummed. I did it last year and loved it!

Rebecca Reply:

There is always next year :) By then you’ll have TWO super cute little fans. Glad to hear it was a good race last year. Maybe I’ll get Kelsey to do it with me :)

cait     at 3:58 pm

I live and work in Boston and I can’t even speak to the heartache I’m feeling right now. I knew people in the race who thankfully are OK, but the terror I felt when I didn’t know if they were safe will never be forgotten.

Coincidentally, I made the decision last week to start running. There was a mix of reasons why I came to this decision but reading your blog really gave me that extra push. I want to be a part of something bigger and have an outlet for my stress, and something I can feel proud of.

My running shoes arrived in the mail today, and like you, this horrible tragedy will be yet another motivator to run. I’ll run for those who no longer can. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Boston, I hoped you would.

Glad to hear your and your loved ones are okay. So terrifying. Best of luck on your running journey!

kathy     at 4:06 pm

Well said. Thank you.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health     at 4:09 pm

Beautiful post Emily. Whoever is responsible for this cannot break our spirits or our love for one another. It only makes us stronger and brings us closer together.

Ali     at 4:31 pm

That was really well written! I’m glad that you are running this pregnancy and you’ve inspired me to get my 6 week postpartum body in gear and start running again too. I just signed up for a 5k.

Kaytie     at 4:32 pm

Loved this post… living in Boston yesterday was tough. I am also a newbie runner and hope to one day reach the goal of running a marathon. The dedication and passion that runners have can’t be crushed and I know for sure that next year will be an incredibly emotional and profound race. Boston can’t be stopped and neither can it’s runners!

Catherine     at 4:41 pm

I ran my first 5K last year – it was brutal. My time was abysmal. But I finished, and I ran the whole time – two goals I had set that I’m very proud to say I accomplished. My city is hosting its first marathon (with a mini and 5k too!) this year, and I had been on the fence about whether or not I should do it. Yesterday sealed it for me. It just feels like the right thing to do, and I have to say the running community is wonderful – even if I might be its least talented member. :)

amy     at 4:43 pm

Hi Emily- I’ve been reading your blog for several months now but this is my first comment. This post was so well put and you have such a gift with words. While driving to work this morning, I saw a fellow runner jog by carrying an American Flag. It was such a simple statement, yet so profound.

Laura     at 5:03 pm

I’m from Boston and I bought new running shoes a few weeks ago at Marathon Sports, a store that had its windows blown out by the blasts yesterday. It’s always sad and scary when random, public acts of violence like yesterday’s happen but it feels so much more real when you can picture exactly where it happened. Anyway, thank you for acknowledging what happened yesterday. Your blog is such an inspiration for an active and healthy lifestyle, I’m glad you’re feeling extra motivation to run!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 5:09 pm

Great post — nice motivation to just get out there and run! Lets do it!

Jane @ Not Plain So Jane     at 5:32 pm

Nice post! I felt the same way. I put on a race shirt and headed out the door this am. I hope plenty of people noticed all those running today.

Leslie     at 5:38 pm

I just started running a couple of months ago and I feel like I have found a new love. I too want to run a little harder and faster when I run this week. My first 5k is the Indy color run, I’m so excited for it. My long term goal is the Illinois Marathon 10k next year. Every year I watch the marathoners run through my neighborhood, we live near the 16 mile mark and I find the runners to be such an inspiration. Thank you too for helping to inspire me to try something new that I never thought I could do!

What a beautiful post. I’m so glad for the people who are safe and so sad for the families who have suffered so much.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 6:14 pm

Great post. I too am a lover of running and races, and I am astonished at what happened yesterday. I’m saying I ran in spirit today – I can’t wait to get back into the sport once these babies are out!

Tracy     at 6:59 pm

I ran the Boston marathon in 2008. It was everything I knew it would be exciting, inspiring, and monumental. My heart broke yesterday when I heard the news.
I’m glad your’re still running Emily. I am pregnant with my third child and running is my outlet. Well written post as always.

Grace     at 7:20 pm

Great post, thank you! I am from Boston and yesterday was a really tough day….I had friends running the marathon, who are thankfully safe – along with their families. My heart aches for all the families involved. I’m “new” to running – always nervous to sign up for a race – but I ran my first 5k last summer and I’m excited to get out there and sign up and run many more! When I laced up my sneakers today, I ran for my hometown Boston!

Lara     at 7:29 pm

Beautifully written.

Megan     at 8:29 pm

I’ve commented before that I’m from Cincinnati too- my most loved race I’ve run in is the Flying Pig! What I love most about races are the people who come out to cheer everyone on. The support of the sport is amazing. I now work in Boston and live a bit north in NH. I was so excited for the Boston Marathon even thought I wasn’t racing in it. I almost went down to cheer everyone on but felt my 4 month old was a little young for such a long outing. It broke my heart to hear and see what happened. Thanks for writing such a well thought out post about the sport. I know a lot of us were heartbroken by the violence but it is truly wonderful to see all the support that has come from it.

Megan     at 10:57 pm

Great post, with a great message! One of my favorite quotes that I’ve read today, Katherine Switzer: “If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon.” Link to a great post about the spirit of runners and spectators: http://jezebel.com/the-people-who-watch-marathons-473405924

Amy @curlsandcoffee     at 11:11 pm

A beautiful post. I wrote about this yesterday and how wearing a t-shirt didn’t seem enough. My idea was to put some extra positive into the world, spread kindness and love to overpower the hate. I also love the idea of people taking up running…maybe now I’m starting to lighten up on the scales I start try it again…

Amy x

ps Cullen is going so fair, you both look happy, full and content – you’re certainly a good advert for pregnancy with an active little man to care for!!

Maya     at 11:12 pm

Great post. I felt really personally impacted by the tragedy too, not just because my sister and her boyfriend were nearby, but because as a runner I can just picture what that finishing area must have been like at that moment… so sad. I want to try to qualify for Boston in 6 years, when I’m 35… want to meet me there? :)

Emily (Dish on the Run)     at 12:33 am

I love this post Emily. I also feel motivated to get out and run, and after reading this, maybe even sign up for a race!

Padma0655     at 5:25 am

I’m in India currently, and when I heard about the Boston marathon incident, I was terrified. There is nothing like feeling so disconnected and no way of reaching and calling your friends to know that they’re okay. And feeling so helpless because theres nothing you can do. I’ll definitely be trying to brave this humid heat and go for a run later. Thanks for your post Emily.

Michele     at 5:54 am

Thank you for this post! I’ve been reading every blog I can, soaking up everyone’s words and thoughts on this terrible event. The short run I did yesterday doesn’t seem to be enough, but I think maybe it was when joined with everyone else’s! Good luck on your upcoming races :-)

Jamie     at 5:57 am

I live in the Boston area, grew up going to marathon each year to cheer on the runners, and know so many people who were there. I was worried for awhile about my dad, who used to run boston every year but now cheers on his running friends since he doesn’t run that distance anymore. Luckily he and his running friends were all ok, but everyone is shaken up to say the least.
I just can’t believe this happened at such a sacred event that is all about the triumph of the human spirit, but maybe that’s the takeaway. There is so much more good in the world than evil, and its just more motivation to make your life count and focus on what’s important, and let your light outshine those moments of darkness.
Emily-so glad to hear the runner within you is speaking a little louder than usual this week. I really enjoyed this post. Thanks for writing it.

April     at 6:06 am

Thank you for this post Emily! I live and work in Boston and you are 100% right, next year will bring out the best…this City has already started training, amazing how many laced their shoes up immediately – we WILL keep running.
And so happy you are lacing ‘em up too:) As always, beautiful post Em!

Mary     at 6:45 am

Thank you so much for this post! Although I am not a mom, I am a first grade teacher and hope to inspire my students with this passion!

There is the Earth Day 5k this weekend at Myrtle Edwards Park!

Emily     at 7:34 am

Such a great post, and I loved your Babble post as well! While we’re not quiet ready to start having kids yet, this is always on my mind that I want our children to be surrounded by a healthy community.

I was inspired to hit the pavement yesterday like everyone else and like running always does, it made me feel empowered and ready to take on anything.

Alexandra @ Loving the Good Life     at 7:58 am

Lovely post! Keep running! The running community needs to be strong now.
I was just a block away from the explosions. I’m thankful that the tall buildings shielded my family and me from seeing the tragedies. It could have so easily been us, though.
Moving forward, I don’t want to take anything for granted and I can’t wait to get back out there and run.

Katie     at 8:21 am

Thank you so much for this post – I live in Boston, am a runner, and am rattled to the core by Monday’s bombings. I seems surreal that this happened right in our community, and the shock will take time and healing to wear off.

I definitely understand your desire to get right out and run – I’m already planning to run the Boston marathon next year as a fundraiser. I pray that everyone else in this amazing city and people around the world that come to run and cheer at the Boston Marathon, do so with an even greater presence and larger spirit (if that is even possible) next year.

Jessica     at 8:44 am

Thank you for writing this. I was standing at the finish line watching the runners and had walked away 20 mins before it happened. I was 2 blocks away when the bombs went off. I have lived in Boston all my life and, as a runner, always feel electric on marathon monday. I can’t wait to run my next race. Thank you for the support. It means so much.

So scary!!

Katie     at 10:01 am

My family and I are running the Seahawks 5k this weekend! We normally do the 12k but our 11 month old is a super fan of the BOB – 3 miles might be pushing it! There’s a really cute race for the kids after – I can’t wait until next year when he can jog it! :) It’s just a few hundred feet, there’s also a bigger 1k for the older kids :)

mom     at 10:07 am

As you know, I grew up outside Boston so was horrified as I watched the news on Monday…It also reminded me of all the times I have stood on the side of the road and cheered on you and Casey as you have run the Flying Pig in Cincinnati. Never did I go out to cheer from the sidelines and think to worry if a bomb was going to go off- it has always been a fun event full of neighbors and well wishers for the runners- So tragic to have something so positive turn so negative. Beautiful post.

Rebecca     at 10:39 am

Hey Emily, I’ve been reading your blog for so long but never actually commented on a post. I felt like I should now, though, because I attend school two hours away from Boston. I’m originally from California, but I go to Boston as much as possible during the school year because it’s my favorite city– so much that I call it home, even though I’ve never actually lived there. It both scared and horrified me, both because I knew people who were either running in or cheering on the runners during the marathon this year, and because I never in a million years would’ve imagined anything like this happening.

Thank you for this post. It was beautiful, and I also was able to step back from this tragedy realizing how fortunate I am. I also was a runner but am not running now, due to multiple knee surgeries this past year, but this post was a gentle reminder that nevertheless, I should still remember how blessed I am.

For any readers on this blog who’re interested, there is a world-wide event/remembrance going on today where you simply run in memory, love, and support for Boston and the runners. Check out https://www.facebook.com/pages/Run-For-Boston-417/613135315380603 for more information.

Thanks for sharing the link!

Christine     at 10:52 am

Hi Emily,

I enjoy reading your blog but rarely comment, but for some reason I have an urge to now. I have been reading so many blog posts insinuating that what happened in Boston is somehow an attack on runners, that running is somehow central to this event, and that we must keep running to appreciate the gift and to not let horrific events or actions take that gift away. (I should note that your entry didn’t necessarily say these things explicitly, but it’s more of a trend I’ve noticed across several blogs and running media websites these past two days– I’ve chosen to post this comment here as opposed to other blogs because I feel that you take comments seriously and your posts are generally thoughtful and well-written.)

Anyway, I have found myself floundering to understand this shared response from runners about the incident in Boston, even though I too have run dozens of races and consider myself someone who runs and loves to do so. Yet to me, it’s not about running at all. In fact, running and races are pretty much the furthest thing from my mind when I reflect on Monday’s tragedy. By dwelling on the running aspect, I think runners and the associated media can alienate people and run the risk of claiming that this incident was somehow more meaningful, or more tragic, because it targeted something so “special.” I agree with your sentiment that tragedies like this make you want to savor every moment, but I’m surprised that so many responses center on RUNNING, and not on the many other things that bind us all, whether we are runners or not. I hope that this comment does not come across as overly critical- I mean it more in a thought-provoking sense, and I’m curious if any other readers share my feelings on this?

Thanks.

Kristi Reply:

I share your feelings, Christine. Although I think you worded it a little better than I could. I have a very close connection with a past national tragedy where dozens of people were killed. The idea that running is the point here seems a little trite.

You are one of my favorite bloggers, emily. I understand that you felt compelled to comment on the bombings and I think your heart is in the right place but this post just seems to miss the point. Part of it is probably the timing; a discussion on your running goals just seems irrelevant to what happened so to try and draw a connection is awkward.

I’m not trying to criticize you but I do agree with Christine.

sarah Reply:

I have to agree with these comments as well. As someone who is personally going through some injuries right now that keep me from running – and someone who runs very little in general due to chronic pain – I feel a little “left out” when I read these posts from the running community. I think Christine said it best – “alienate”.

While I do understand the need to feel and make a connection between running and this terrorist act, it’s really not about the rest of us lacing up our shoes and going for a run. It’s about appreciating every single day – and if that day means going for a run around your neighboorhood, great, but if it doesn’t that doesn’t make your emotional connection to the events any less real.

I love you blog and wish you’d post more! :)

I don’t mean to alienate anyone or imply that the only way to react to this tragedy is to go running. I said that is what I was going to do – more as a reminder to not take my time and abilities for granted than anything. You said in your comment that it’s about appreciating every single day, and I feel like that’s what I tried to convey in my post too.
As someone with an injury, you have the same opportunities as the rest of us. You can jump into something else (yoga, walking, whatever is comfortable) or even just sign up to be a race volunteer to show your support, and your appreciation for the future.

Doing my best to post as often as I can! Life is pretty complicated right now.

sarah Reply:

I prefer your responses to the other two comments than mine – it’s pretty condescending to asusme that I’m not already “jumping into other activites”. And by suggesting I be a volunteer for a race, I think you are missing the point that this really isn’t about running. It may be for you, but it’s not for all of us.

I really like your other comments, though. Very thoughtful and they made sense to me. So thank you.

And I’m not trying to make you feel bad for not posting more! I meant that as a compliment.

I’m sorry Sarah – perhaps I’m not articulating myself well this afternoon. I don’t mean to offend at all, and I’m not assuming anything about your current level of activity or involvement. It is hard to respond to you on a personal level (which is what it feels like you are looking for) without knowing anything about you. My comment about volunteering was meant to say that ANYone can support the running community – both runners and non-runners alike. But of course, that is not necessary either. Perhaps we are both feeling a bit defensive this afternoon. My apologies.

And you didn’t make me feel bad – I appreciate that you’d like to hear more! I agree – I’d like to be writing more! I have a few other big writing projects I’m finishing up in the next few weeks, and I should be more freed up beyond that.

sarah Reply:

You’re right – perhaps I am feeling a bit defensive. I can see how these blog “fights” get out of hand, and it’s really silly.

I appreciate your candid and humble response. You really are a professional blogger, and it’s noticed and appreciated.

Thank you.

:) Appreciated here too! I got a handful of similarly critical comments one right after another (after zero for 24 hours), which always makes me question the source, so I’m sure my guard was up whether I intended it to be or not. Either way, I’m always happy to respond to feedback – both the good and the bad. Have a good rest of your afternoon!

I wrote back to Christine above. Sorry if you feel I’ve missed the point. I guess I would offer that I might have missed YOUR point, but this is what felt healing and therapeutic for me. I wasn’t trying to have a selfish discussion of my running goals, but more sharing that it’s time I appreciate my ability TO run. I felt like I tried to make that pretty clear.

After Newtown, parents sent their children back to school the next day because they HAD to. Because we can’t live in fear every day and just hit the pause button on our lives. And so after this, people will lace up sneakers and head back to starting lines, because we can’t be afraid to participate in something that is special to so many of us. I don’t think that is an awkward connection at all, but I appreciate your feedback.

Kristi Reply:

Funny to read your exchange with Sarah because I, too was put off by your response to me. Your initial response to Christine was respectful and helped me understand your poisition better. Your response to me came off as overly defensive and made me feel like I had to respond again to further explain ‘MY point.’ I’m not going to b/c I don’t think it’s necessary. I respect you and almost always find your posts well thought out and insightful. Maybe I didn’t ‘get’ this one b/c I’m not a distance runner. Thanks for setting me straight.

Hey Christine!
Always open to healthy conversation. :) I don’t think that what happened on Monday was an attack on the sport of running in any way. I think it was an attack on our country, and runners/the sport of running were the unfortunate victims of a bigger target.

I imagine that runners have taken it more personally, because it’s easier to visualize yourself or your loved ones in a similar scenario if you have been there, and that makes the fear feel more real. I know after the Newtown shooting, many parents of elementary school-aged children felt particularly devastated, picturing their own kids among the victims. It’s not meant to be selfish or alienating — I think it’s just a very natural, normal reaction to look for ways to relate to things like this in your own way and own life.

The big takeaway for me is really just to appreciate my life and my time, and to be less focused on worrying about/changing the future. For ME, that means appreciating that I can go for a run. For others, that might mean picking up an old hobby they have dropped, or taking more time to connect with loved ones. Perhaps I didn’t get that point across well in my post. I wasn’t really trying to initiate a big movement or anything – just sharing my own thoughts, and healing in my own way. I hope that makes sense.

Christine Reply:

Thanks for the reply, Emily.

I agree that it’s a common and normal response to look for ways to relate things like this to one’s own life, whether that’s through running or any other means. Like I mentioned in the post above, my comments were as much of a response to other media as they were to your blog post. Just to clarify, I don’t think your post in itself is particularly alienating, but I still find the overall reaction of the running community a bit uncomfortable– even though I consider myself a part of that community. For me, this is a time to step back from thinking about running, races, PRs, etc., and so the barrage of running oriented media and the emphasis on the feat of a marathon does not fit well for me. But I realize that everyone has different reactions- just thought I’d share mine to add a different perspective.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify your thoughts. I appreciate the open discussion we’ve been having here (and this goes to the other commenters involved as well) and I hope we can have more like this!

Leanne     at 11:49 am

I definately thought of you when I saw that bombing on the news. I know you weren’t running in it, but maybe if we didn’t have Cullen and didn’t have another child on the way, you might have been there! It’s a little scary to think about, hope you’re all doing great.

Michelle@Peachy Palate     at 12:40 pm

Really heartfelt personal post, I could feel every word as I read it. Thoughts and prayers all the way from Ireland.

Jeanette     at 12:48 pm

I haven’t laced up my sneakers in over a year since I dedicated myself to my yoga practice but I felt the urge on Monday as well.

I remember the long training hours and the commitment it takes to finish a race and how supportive my family was/is.

Boston is breaking my heart but reminding me of that feeling of family in the running community.

Thank you for this post.

Tiffany     at 1:08 pm

I live outside Boston and cannot watch any coverage without crying. There were a few terrifying hours where we did not know if our family was among the injured. Thankfully they are not. It is heartbreaking to think that I have stood in that same spot to cheer on friends, to celebrate the accomplishments of so many people who have worked so hard to attain the dream of running Boston, to celebrate people who are raising money for charity…to celebrate humanity. Never once did it cross my mind that such a celebration could end in senseless violence. That terrorism could happen on the streets where I have stood and felt an overwhelming sense of community. It is unbelievable.

Like you my gratitude for life is renewed. I have a healthy family, a healthy child, a loving husband, a sweet dog…I have everything. Something like this really puts things into perspective and shows how transient life is. All we have is this moment. Embracing it. If running helps you do that, do it.

Anne     at 1:18 pm

What a beautiful post.

Thanks friend. :)

Dani     at 2:49 pm

I never comment on blogs but as a Bostonian and a runner I’m sorry, this post is disgusting and offensive to me.

Way to make Boston’s tragedy all about you.

Seems like you didn’t read it then (or my other responses in the comments). It’s not about me, and I think I made that very clear.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » A Belated Weekend.     at 7:43 am

[...] I had originally planned to write this post on Monday, but then Boston happened, and somehow today is Thursday.  I appreciate your patience, and for coming back here even [...]

Alison     at 8:04 am

Emily – I never comment but had to stop in to say that I think the detractors here are out of bounds. You wrote a great piece about your reactions to this awful event. Honestly, after such a horrific event, NOTHING we say is adequate. Good for you for putting your thoughts out there – and if people don’t agree, well, then they can just check out another website (where I’m sure they won’t agree some more). Congrats on your pregnancy by the way! :)

Cait @ Cait Strides     at 8:17 am

Hey Emily (and Emily’s readers!),

I’m not sure if anyone is looking for a way to help relief efforts in Boston. But if you are, a friend of mine and I have designed custom T-Shirts to honor those who have been affected by this tragedy. You can buy one at the link below and the full commission ($10) will go towards relief efforts in Boston.

The finish line is meant to be a place of triumph and empowerment, not terror. The events of Monday’s Boston bombings left me, like so many of you, feeling totally powerless in the face of this senseless act of terror. I am a marathon runner myself, my family has stood at the finish line for every one of my races, and to think that this could have been them is heartbreaking. Instead of shrinking away from what I love, this horrible event has made my resolve that much stronger.
We thank you for your support and hope that you will share our message.

A Runner's Wife From Boston     at 9:18 am

I appreciate the (respectful) discussion above. My family and I have struggled quite a bit with the concept of personalizing the tragedy in Boston- mostly because we were there, but unharmed in any way. My husband ran the marathon and had finished about a half hour before the explosions. My toddler and I were cheering him on several miles away, but had left by the time the bombs went off. Obviously it hit very, very close to home. However, we were not hurt, no one in our families were hurt. We as a family were lucky while so many other families were not. We have come to realize that ultimately this tragedy was about us-and many others like us- a marathoner and a family who was there to cheer him on. It was also about moms, dads, children, grandparents, and friends. It was about people who have never run a single mile but still come out every year to cheer on those who do. It was about college kids who were experiencing their very first Patriots Day in Boston. It was about people that travel from all over the world to celebrate the Boston Marathon every single year. It was about the much bigger picture- that we live in a place where people gather in the streets as a community peacefully and joyfully. I could go on and on, but the point is that everyone personalizes tragedies because that is how we make sense of them, come to terms with them and move forward. Emily, I was not all offended by your stance even though maybe it’s a little different from my own. I read blogs this week for the purpose of hearing perspective from others so that it might give me more to think about as I come to my own understanding and acceptance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Top Pot Doughnut Dash 5K Race Recap.     at 8:04 am

[...] and fitness level was good enough to take on the challenge of racing.  After the tragedies in Boston a few weeks ago, I felt really motivated and compelled to jump back into the running community – [...]