Top Pot Doughnut Dash 5K Race Recap.

This weekend marked a fun new pregnancy milestone – my very first race!  I haven’t written a race recap here in almost a year!  I didn’t run during my first pregnancy, and I was really hoping that I’d be able to give it a try the second time around.  I haven’t really been running all that much up until now – I did one five mile run on vacation with a handful of shorter runs sprinkled in at home, but nothing very impressive.  Instead, I’ve been doing my Barre3 classes consistently a few times each week, which has really helped increase my strength and has kept me in good shape.

So even though I hadn’t been running all that regularly up to this point, I still felt like my activity and fitness level was good enough to take on the challenge of racing.  After the tragedies in Boston a few weeks ago, I felt really motivated and compelled to jump back into the running community – not to be competitive, but just to participate.  I looked at the local race calendar and signed up for the Top Pot Doughnut Dash 5K – and that is where we headed early Sunday morning!

The race started at 8:30am, and I had to pick up my packet first, so it was an early morning for the whole family.  It was also cool and drizzling rain, so I was very grateful for my fabulous support crew.  (And yes! We got a new stroller – I’ll be writing about it soon!)

The last 5K I ran was last year on Mother’s Day, and that was a much smaller race.  This race was big compared to many of the 5K’s I’ve done in the past – almost 2,000 runners!  I guess a lot of people are as motivated by finish line doughnuts as I am.  :)

I had originally been planning to run with a friend and her jogging stroller, but her little guy got sick the morning of the race.  I was so sad for them!  This also changed my race quite a bit.  I had planned to talk with Katie and distract myself with conversation, and now I found myself running alone with nothing but the sound of my breath (wasn’t planning to use headphones, so I didn’t take any!).

I didn’t really have much of a plan, and it was funny at how unprepared I felt compared to prior races.  I had no music, no Garmin, and no idea what to expect.  I decided early on that my only goal was to try to run the whole thing without walking.  I know myself, and I know that if I allowed myself one walking break, it would turn into ten more.  I kissed my cheerleaders goodbye and took off!

I assumed I’d be running somewhere between a 10:00 and 11:00 minute mile, so I positioned myself pretty far back.

2013-04-28 08.30.11

Casey and Cullen found a great spot right at the first curve, and were able to watch all the runners take off.

I saw them as I went back, and smiled and waved.  So speedy I am nothing but a blur.  :)

This race was at Greenlake, which is one of my favorite running and walking spots, and it’s a loop I’ve done hundreds of times before.  So it was nice to know what to expect, and to have a good sense of the course – particularly since I had no Garmin telling me how much further I had to run.  My strategy was to just pick a comfortable pace and try to hold onto it – I knew it was slow, but I also knew it needed to be if I expected my legs to run three miles without stopping.  I spent pretty much the entire race being passed by other runners – very humbling!

It’s a weird thing to run while pregnant.  My instincts wanted me to try to push it – to give a little more, to pick up the speed a bit, but I also knew that I needed to keep my heart rate down and really pay attention to the cues my body was giving.  I’m not gonna lie – even though it was only three miles, it was tough.  My body hurt, and I had to constantly ask myself if it was normal “running hurt” or if it was pregnancy related (meaning I should stop).  All the aches and pains were in my legs and chest though, so I knew I was fine to keep going.

I spent most of the run just focused on my breath, and listening to the conversations around me (creeper alert!).  I willed myself to keep running even if that meant slowing down.  Once I passed the second mile marker, I knew I could push it for one more.  I came down the finishing chute and saw Casey and Cullen waiting and waving!

My official finish time was 31:51 (10:15 average pace) – my second slowest 5K ever, but my first ever pregnant, and one I will definitely remember.  I think (or at least I hope!) that jumping back into running at 16.5 weeks pregnant was just early enough to get going before I get too big or too tired.  Last time I tried to pick it up again around 22 weeks, and it was way too late.  I felt really proud to be a pregnant, running mama!

The 5K was sponsored by Top Pot Doughnuts – a famous Seattle spot.  But they only had one small doughnut truck in the finishers’ area, and the line was at least 500 people deep by the time I finished.  We decided to jump in the car and head to my personal favorite (vegan!) doughnut spot – Mighty O

We all enjoyed some post-race treats.  Cullen wolfed down the mini cake doughnuts I got for him, and I had delicious chocolate top and chocolate cream-filled.  Mmmmmmm.

It was a really fun way to spend the morning, and I spent the rest of the afternoon with a runner’s high.  During what should have been nap time (that turned out not to be – no naps all weekend – grrrrr), I looked online for other upcoming races that work with our schedule.

I absolutely loved running the race, and while I know I’m not in a place to set any big goals or plan too far ahead, I’m hoping to keep running and taking advantage of summer racing season as long as I can.  And I won’t feel quite so bad about being passed so much once I have a bigger, more noticeable belly!  :)

One pregnant race down, and hopefully several more to come!

Jane @ Not Plain So Jane     at 8:09 am

That’s awesome! I think a group setting like a 5k is a good place to feel the power of the running community and get back into it!

AM     at 8:11 am

Congrats on a job well done! I made exercise a low priority with my first pregnancy but hope motto the second time around. Good for you

I also have the Britax B-ready and love it! I see that C doesn’t hav the harness over his shoulders. I don’t know if it’s a matter of his personal preference but you can adjust the height of it from the back of the seat under the zipper. The stroller comes set with the six month setting most of he time.

He really likes to sit forward, so I left the shoulder straps off. They are tight enough just under his arms that he’s not going anywhere. So far we LOVE the stroller!

LisaR @ Who Stole My Baby?     at 8:24 am

Wow, way to go! Donuts are always a good motivator. I would run for a donut.

Christina     at 8:32 am

That’s awesome!

“and listening to the conversations around me (creeper alert!).”
Lol!

Cullen clutching that donut with those chubby little fingers is the cutest thing ever.

Joanna     at 8:35 am

Girl you look amazing and don’t even look pregnant! Can I look like you when I’m preggo with #2? :) where is your purple top from? I love it, looks comfy!

It’s Gap!

Andrea     at 8:36 am

Thanks for sharing your race experience with us! Although I know it’s your “second slowest 5k time ever” it’s great to read about races that seem a little more realistic to the average reader than, say, a 22:00 5K. You should feel very proud!

Haha thanks. I have never run a 22 minute 5K, even in my best days! :)

Theresa     at 8:43 am

That’s great Emily! Congratulations :)You look so great! I am looking forward to more race recaps during your pregnacy.

Cullen is just too cute! How do you even decide which pictures to frame and put up in the house, they’re all adorable.

Glad you had a fun family weekend!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 8:49 am

Congrats :D

Jolene (Homespun Heritage)     at 8:56 am

Are you aware of the Joggermom Marathon for May? Starts on Wed! Hope you can join!

I will check it out! Thanks for the link!

Charli     at 8:59 am

Hi Emily. What kind of headbands do you use when you run? I’ve tried a couple and they all slip off. Congratulations on your race!

Alicia Reply:

Check out bic bands. I had the same problem and I bought a couple bic bands based on skinnyrunner’s recommendation. So far I have been super impressed and no slippage! http://www.bicbands.com

I actually just use Goody sweatbands from Target. Cheap and never slip off!

Julie @ Swim Bike Running on Empty     at 9:05 am

Way to go, Emily! What an accomplishment regardless of time. You should be so proud of the great example you’re setting not only for other pregnant women, but for Cullen and the little one to come! Can’t wait to hear about your next race :)

Kathleen Ojo @ My Ojos     at 9:10 am

Great job!! I wish I had stuck with running while I was pregnant last year. I was kind of nervous about it so I cut WAY down on the miles for the first month after I found out, and was basically done with running by 16 weeks. I ended up having a very healthy pregnancy and felt great the whole time, and I often wish I had kept up with the running. Oh well. Next time! I did do Body Pump 3x a week, and oddly, I felt like I was in GREAT shape by the time I gave birth. 40 extra pounds aside, I felt strong and was never plagued by the typical aches and pains of pregnancy. It really does pay to keep up with your fitness!

That is exactly how I felt last time. So this time I’m determined to at least try!

Stephanie     at 9:29 am

Congrats, great job! I am 13.5 weeks pregnant with our first and this has motivated me to look for races this summer to sign up for! I am already excited to run my first one and I haven’t even signed up for it yet!

Yay! Happy to hear it!

Tara     at 9:35 am

5Ks are such a good race to get back into it after you haven’t raced in a long time! That time isn’t bad at all, you weren’t racing fora good time, after all. :)

Sara     at 9:48 am

So impressive! You go girl!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 9:51 am

That’s awesome that you got out there and did the race! You should be proud!

Tammy J     at 9:57 am

Simply awesome. Congrats on your run!

Beth@Motor City on my Mind     at 10:08 am

Congratulations on your run and not stopping! You are so inspirational!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 10:12 am

Congrats, Emily! Great job!

sarah     at 10:12 am

you go, girl! I would make fun of you for having to adjust to no headphones (I think running with headphones is insane – I’d much rather listen to the birds, the sound of my breathing, and the voices in my head), but we all get used to what we get used to. Now that I have a Garmin, it’s hard to remember what it was like before I got it, when I’d have to (gasp!) listen to my body, and not constantly check my pace. So good on ya!

Our beach run was a huge motivator to me, so THANK YOU! Although I definitely spent the entire run wishing for that 8-minute BEEEEEP. :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 10:30 am

congrats on the pregnancy 5K! That’s great, especially just running it alone and without music

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 10:37 am

What a fun race! You did amazing girl. :)

Leah     at 11:15 am

This was so refreshing to read! 2 of my friends just went back and finished the Boston Marathon (they were stopped a few blocks from the finish as so many runners were). They went Saturday during the rally and they went as a group to finish together. It was not easy but they decided to go for it. :) It’s been a rough couple of weeks here and seeing you get inspired to run is just amazing. :)

Very cool!!

Carly @ Snack Therapy     at 11:38 am

Wooo! You go, girl! A chocolate donut might actually motivate me (a non-runner) to run. Will run for food!

Shannan     at 11:52 am

Great job!! :) You are always an excellent role model for good health–pregnant or not pregnant! :)

Thanks Shannan! :)

Lee     at 12:01 pm

Great job! I don’t know if I could do a race without headphones. I need my music!

Emily     at 12:02 pm

Congrats, that’s so awesome! I don’t know if I could do a whole race without headphones…MAYBE for the promise of donuts ;)

Haha it was not my preference!

wendie     at 12:21 pm

Hi Emily–do you have an recs for maternity running or workout pants? I’m struggling trying to find bottoms that will stay up!

I have two pairs from Lululemon, and so far they are both still fitting well. I can’t afford to outfit myself in much more, but I’ve heard their stuff tends to work really well throughout pregnancy (and beyond!).

Julia     at 12:34 pm

I stopped by Super Jock n Jill near Greenlake last Monday to switch out a pair of shoes that weren’t fitting quite right. It just so happened they were having a 5k run for Boston at the same time. Even though I’m currently injured (runner’s knee) I decided to walk the race. Everyone was wearing blue and yellow for the colors of the marathon and there were several people there with their 2013 Boston marathon shirts on. It just made me realize how close the whole thing was to our running community here in Seattle. I really enjoyed getting to participate in the race and remember that our community is a strong one. Just wanted to say that your post about Boston really touched me and reminded me why I love the running community so much. I’m glad you’re going out and racing and congrats on completing a race while pregnant! Truly inspiring :)

Wow – how cool!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 12:34 pm

Well done! Jeez for your second slowest 5k it ain’t at all shabby!!! Amazing result and a total inspiration other moms to be out there!

Leslie     at 1:32 pm

I aspire to run a 10min/mile 5k!! I’m a really slow runner… barely doing a 13min/mile right now. I keep telling myself to take it slow, it’s not about how fast you go but that you are doing it! You’re inspiration to other moms and the “slow” runners.

Keep at it! :)

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 1:33 pm

Congratulations on your 5K! I’ve got to say, I’m super impressed and inspired by you running while pregnant! I think that’s a huge and awesome accomplishment, not to mention a real testament to how incredible our bodies are.

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy     at 1:49 pm

That’s about my normal 5k time, and I’m not pregnant :). Good job!!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 2:56 pm

Congratulations! I am happy you are running and racing. And there is nothing better than a treat after a race.

Me too! :)

Jennifer     at 5:38 pm

Nice! I just signed up for my first 5K (a Mother’s Day one) and it was nice to see what to expect. We have the same stroller also and LOVE it.

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 6:07 pm

Congrats on a great race!

Molly @ JoggingWithJack.com     at 7:54 pm

You look amazing! So excited to see you running with Cullen cheering you on and your newest little one coming along for the ride. I was so thankful to be able to run until about 33 weeks. It made the return that much easier. Keep it up, mama!

33 weeks! So inspiring!!

Haley     at 4:29 am

I am so happy to find a race recap on your blog! Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I felt like I hadn’t read anything fitness related on here in ages!!

I am very newly pregnant and am so hopeful that I will be able to run throughout my pregnancy- keep up the good work girl!

No offense taken! I totally agree with you! :) It feels good to reconnect with something that was once such a big part of my life (and blog!). I’m loving my barre classes and going regularly, but I’m not really sure how to work that into regular posting the way I did with running. It feels sort of redundant.

And congrats on your pregnancy!! :)

Haley Reply:

Thank you! I am a cincy girl and have been reading since your flying pig days, so I am used to race recaps and loads of fitness from you. I am sure you will find a balance…. And even though I just whined about not enough fitness, I still look forward to more of your pregnancy updates ;)

Adrianne     at 8:34 am

I might have to quit reading your blog because now I feel like total crap about myself. HA, just kidding. Well, kidding about not reading your blog, but totally serious about feeling like crap. I’m not pregnant and my kid is almost two months older than Cullen yet I never run. I’m doing good if I get out on a couple of walks each week. So pathetic.

BUT, you really are an inspiration! Reading this post gives me hope that maybe one day, I too can join the ranks of running mamas! :) Well done. You should be so proud, and I know one day Cullen is going to be super proud of his awesome mommy.

Ella     at 9:04 am

That’s awesome! I can’t believe you are 16.5 weeks preggo with your second and hardly showing! I’m 18 weeks with #2 and have a little bump already (and I took a long time to show with my first). You look great!

Hannah     at 10:07 am

You look AMAZING!

Ashley     at 1:35 pm

I’m from Spokane, WA and we have a 7k over here next weekend, Bloomsday. Have you heard of it? It’s an incredible rush to run with so many thousands of people. Spokane is just a trot over the mountains for you!

Ashley Reply:

Correction. 7 miles (12k). And the date snuck up me. It’s this weekend. How can it be May already??

maynard holcombe     at 2:50 pm

Congratulations Emily! I’m glad you chose to run, and happy you finished. The Pig is this Sunday; we will be cheering for all the runners at FP #15!

Miranda @ Cracked Up Chicken     at 3:57 pm

You’re braver than me! I stopped running when I found I was pregnant in January.

Ever     at 10:42 pm

If you’re still running in July you should check out the Chuckanut Foot Race – the oldest foot race in Washington! It’s 7 miles, mostly flat trail, about 1.5 hours north of Seattle and the most gorgeous scenery you have ever seen on a run (or at all!), I promise!

Maxine     at 6:36 am

Well earned post race treats if you ask me :) Seriously though, well done thats an awesome achievement :)

Ashley     at 7:01 am

Random question not at all related to this post — what diaper bag do you use? Are you planning to get a new/bigger one since you’ll soon have 2 in cloth? I’m not thrilled with mine and am on the hunt :)

Also, congrats on your run!

Candice     at 12:04 pm

Way to go, Emily! You should be proud – running during pregnancy is no easy feat. I’m struggling to get back into running shape now, and I’m not even pregnant!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 1:07 pm

Way to go! Any race you finished is a great accomplishment! I will always run for GF donuts!

Kate     at 3:47 pm

Where did you get your orange tank top?

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » West Seattle 5k Race Recap (19 Weeks Pregnant!)     at 2:55 pm

[...] did my first pregnant race a few weeks ago at 16.5 weeks, and it’s amazing the difference three weeks makes.  I felt (and look!) a lot bigger this [...]

Suzanne     at 12:32 pm

Anxiously awaiting the stroller review! I’m considering the B-Ready but know no one with it!