A House and A Coffee Mug.

I don’t really know when or how it started, but I kind of have a thing for mugs.  We don’t have a ridiculously big collection or anything, but I tend to be choosy about the ones we do have.  I like them to be meaningful and add an extra smile to my morning coffee or evening tea.  Most of them are reminders of place we have lived.

Some, are just wishful thinking, and reminders of wonderful vacations spent with people I love.

When we moved to Seattle from Virginia, we spent our first year in a teeny townhouse in the funky Fremont neighborhood (a rental, so we could get a feel for our new city).  We loved the city-vibe, the walkability, the proximity to friends and so many great Seattle spots, and the quick bus ride downtown for Casey.  I was incredibly spoiled by being able to walk to a natural foods grocery store, a huge farmer’s market, a vegan bakery, the waterfront, and the Seattle zoo (among much, much more).

As we approached the one year mark last spring, we started looking into moving into something more “permanent” (which is clearly a phrase I should never be using!).  We loved Fremont the year we were there, but we were itching for a bit more space, a better layout for our now-mobile child, and some functional outdoor space.

Somewhere during all of this, Casey went to the drug store to exchange our Soda Stream bottles, and they were doing a promotion where if you spent $20 you got a free Seattle neighborhood mug. He came home with Fremont and Magnolia (another nearby neighborhood), and said “I spent $50, so I had to pick a second one, and I figured we were most likely to want to live in Magnolia.”  I smiled and agreed.

We hunted and hunted and must have toured at least 100 houses of all different ages, shapes, prices, and sizes.  I know the housing market is different in all parts of the country, but here in Seattle is it on FIRE.  Housing is incredibly expensive and competitive, and we were pretty overwhelmed by it.  After about two months of religiously searching every weekend (and many evenings!), we found our house.  In Magnolia.

The layout was perfect, the backyard was gorgeous and BIG (by Seattle standards), and it was just a few miles away from our current digs in Fremont (and even closer to Casey’s office!).  We made an offer, crossed our fingers, and eventually worked out a mutual deal with the sellers.  We were ecstatic.

The following week we got a phone call that sent all our plans into a tailspin.  The sellers had changed their minds and were no longer going to sell their house – they would keep it as a rental instead.  We were devastated, and at that point I kind of felt like we gave up.  Frustrated by the Seattle market, we started looking east toward the ‘burbs.  On one of our first visits out to the Eastside (as we call it here), we walked into our (current) house and were mesmerized by giant closets, expansive space, and the world’s most beautiful kitchen

IMG_3159-640x423_thumb

Things moved quickly – too quickly, really – and before I knew what had happened we were packing up and moving 30 minutes east to Kirkland.  There is a lot that I could say about our move and the months that followed, but in the interest of maintaining some privacy I’ll just say that it ultimately wasn’t the right choice for us.  We had a big beautiful house in a really nice neighborhood, and found ourselves really unhappy in it most of the time.

The biggest issue over this past year has been Casey’s commute.  Of course, we knew it would be longer going into our move (and even tested it out via bus), but riding a few times and riding every day (at different times of the year) is totally different.  On a good day, Casey would be home in an hour.  On a dark, rainy day in the winter (of which there are many!) it would often take 90 minutes or more.  Meanwhile, I was hauling Cullen all over Seattle and spending way too much time in the car myself – as most of our friends and activities remained closer to our old house.

The other commuting issue was that Casey was severely limited in bus options that run directly to our house.   He only had three options in the morning, and three in the evening – if he missed them he was out of luck.  On many, many occasions, he’d have to work late and end up missing the last bus, which meant I had to put Cullen in the car at bedtime and go pick him up at the nearest transit center (fifteen minutes away).  All of this is to say, it just wasn’t working.

All year long, we’d think about – and talk about – the house in Magnolia.  We’d long for the big sunny backyard, the mountain views from the kitchen and master bedroom,  and the floor plan that would have worked so well for our family.  In the meantime, we did our best to explore our new area and find new adventures and things to enjoy there – admittedly, somewhat half-heartedly.

Somewhere in early spring, as we approached the one-year mark in our house (and also learned we had another baby coming), we decided we needed to figure out one way or another if we were going to move.  The feeling of living in limbo and indecision had gone on for way too long, and we were making ourselves miserable.

After a few long talks and “what if’s” – we called our realtor and threw out a total long shot scenario.  We decided to re-approach the original sellers of the house we had loved in Magnolia the year before.  We knew they were likely approaching the one-year mark on their rental contract, and thought perhaps they were reconsidering selling it this year instead.  He told us it was very unlikely we’d convince someone to sell us a house that wasn’t even for sale, but he was definitely willing to try.  He made the call and we waited, and waited, and waited.

We moved on and moved forward, and then one afternoon we finally heard back – the sellers were interested, and wanted to talk.  I could write many, many paragraphs about the months that followed, but I’ll give you a brief synopsis…

We did all the back and forth phone negotiations with the sellers in early March, and agreed on a mutual selling price.  The real clincher here was that they were willing to accept a contingency offer that would give us a short window in which we would sell OUR house, in order to make our deal official.  This is absolutely unheard of in the competitive housing market right now.

To complicate things, this was just days before Casey and I went out of town for two weeks (to Atlanta and Hilton Head), so everything had to freeze and go on hold until we got back.  After two weeks away, we returned home with just four days to get our house listed and ready to go on the market.  We worked nonstop cleaning, organizing, staging, and coordinating listing appointments.  We went live on the market in early April.

Once our house was listed, I was in charge of keeping our house in perfect condition at all times, as well as getting Cullen and the two dogs out for all open houses and showing appointments (many of which gave just 30 minutes notice!).  It was a chaotic blur, and we spent many afternoons all cooped up in the car driving around (it was a particularly rainy week) while people toured our house.

Just as this whole situation has sort of felt like a dream, our good luck continued.  Our house sold in just five days.  We met our contingency clause for our purchase, and our move was officially underway.  It all felt very surreal, and as each hurdle was passed (inspections, appraisals, etc.) I felt more and more weight drop off my shoulders.  I continued to shuffle schedules and haul the family around town to accommodate lots of meetings and appointments in order to get the deal done on both ends.

In the interest of our privacy, which I’m sure you can understand, I’m not going to get into the financial details of any of this.  But we’ve gotten a lot of questions about what it means to sell a house after living in it for just one year (read: people think we are insane, and we probably are!).  As it turned out, the house we bought last year was considerably underpriced and also in an area that appreciated very quickly.  So as crazy as it sounded to sell so quickly, we ended up profitable on our sale (even after fees, commissions, etc.) and without any losses.  Pretty much a dream scenario.

Also – we actually downsized!  We learned a valuable lesson that square footage and shiny master bathrooms are overrated when compared to location, character, and priceless proximity to friends and jobs.  I will say a bit more about our new house tomorrow, but it’s smaller, it’s much older, and it’s exactly what we wanted all along.

Through all of this, I never talked about it because I was so afraid it wouldn’t come true.  I also knew that we were so lucky to live in (and own) a beautiful home, and I didn’t want to seem ungrateful or unaware of our blessings.  And despite having many of them, we knew we needed this big change.

I’m sitting here typing this from my new sunroom in a house that I have loved for more than a year.  I can’t even describe the feeling of happiness we have all felt since our moving truck rolled into the driveway on Saturday afternoon.  I can’t believe that we bought a house that wasn’t for sale, sold our house in just five days, and finally ended up in the Magnolia house we dreamed about for so long.  It was one hell of a lot of work, but so indescribably worth it.

I’m looking forward to telling you more about our moving weekend, sharing some pictures, and giving you the very exciting news from our gender reveal party (!!!) – can’t wait to share!

Thanks for following along on our crazy journey.  I joked on Saturday that I love this house so much that my next move will be into a retirement community.  Finally – finally, we are home.

Sara     at 11:53 am

Congrats, that is quite the story and one that will be fun to tell over and over again!! I wish you guys so much love and happiness in your new house. I am anxiously awaiting the gender reveal!!

Elisabeth     at 11:55 am

Wow! That is one crazy, amazing story! Glad everything worked out (seemingly) perfectly. :)

I can definitely understand not being happy with the long commute for Casey. I’ve been dealing with that for several years now & those extra two hours sure make my days seem long on the work end/short on the personal life…

Katie     at 11:55 am

Congratulations Emily! What a happy story. My mom did something similar, she drove around our town and found a house that she loved the location and the look from the outside and left a note in the mailbox of the owners saying if they ever wanted to sell to call her. They did eventually call her and she lived in that house for 29 years raising four kids and she sold it this past spring. Thanks for stopping in and sharing this lovely story and letting us know you will be back tomorrow with the gender reveal. I am anxious to hear since I am having very similar symptoms but I am 35 weeks and we are waiting to be surprised. I already have a 3.5 year old boy so I am hoping like many of your readers guessed for you that I am having a girl.

LisaR @ Who Stole My Baby?     at 12:00 pm

How exciting! It’s nice when things work out that way. We’re crossing our fingers that the housing market will stay relatively crappy in our area until it’s time for us to move :)

PJ     at 12:02 pm

Your blog is a special kind of “home” for many people, a happy space that feels warm and good to visit. Maybe you need to sell Daily Garnish mugs for your readers ;-)

Kerry     at 12:04 pm

Your story is manifestation in action. Great job for knowing what you want, putting it out there, and making it happen. Fantastic! Magnolia is a wonderful neighborhood.

Nancy     at 12:04 pm

Yippee! Welcome back to Seattle! It is so true that location can trump closet space – can’t wait to see pics and hear about all the new details. I love Seattle and all the rain!

Nadine     at 12:07 pm

Congrats on the new house!!

Anything to share about the gender reveal party???

Becca     at 12:07 pm

SO EXCITED for you!!! Congratulations! Also, I can’t wait for the gender reveal!!!!!!!!!!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 12:07 pm

Can’t wait to see the new house! Sounds like you’ve had a really couple of months and all while pregnant..aside from the tough year!

Leah     at 12:08 pm

Starbucks mugs are hand’s down my favorite. Right now I have an orange one and a argyle one (with a rubber bottom) on my desk at work.

Congrats on the move, Emily!

Emmelie     at 12:10 pm

Congratulations, Emily! I recently moved, and our stories share similar themes. Our realtor drove us by our future house about eight months ago. At the time her friend was living there and needed to sell it, but it wasn’t on the market. I was dead-set on more square footage and 2+ bathrooms and refused to even look. It took two offers on other houses and lots of months of frustration for me to consider looking at it, but once I stepped inside, the charm, history, and “feel” of the house completely won me over. We LOVE our neighborhood and are so glad that we chose location and old-house sweetness over big and shiny. So happy for y’all!

Ali     at 12:10 pm

I am nodding along in agreement to your points about the importance of location and community over size. Not only is location so very important, but I actually like smaller houses better: they take less time to clean, have more affordable utility bills, and take less furniture to furnish. Plus, in my experience, using nearby parts of the city as an extension of my living space (parks, libraries…) makes me feel more connected to my community. Huge congrats, and can’t wait to see pictures!

Lena Reply:

I couldn’t agree more!!

Erin Hack     at 12:11 pm

Congratulations! I am so happy for you and your family. What a wonderful feeling to be moving into the house of your dreams – I can’t wait to see the pics. :)

Rebecca     at 12:12 pm

Sometimes you just know when you are in the right house. We felt that when we bought our house. Our realtor kept telling us that she had the perfect house but had to wait for the seller to be ready. When they were, we viewed the house immediately and put in an offer. It was like a wonderful dream and I feel happy to be in our house. Congrats on your new home. Magnolia is a great neighborhood with a fantastic Saturday Farmer’s Market.

Lara     at 12:12 pm

I’m so happy for you. We are nearing that time when our lease is up in our Fremont condo. I can’t help be lured by the suburban square footage of the Eastside. We just can’t afford much this close to downtown! Reading about Casey’s commute makes it less appealing for sure though.
SO excited to hear about your party! And congrats…it is all so meant to be!

Lee     at 12:12 pm

We moved to the Atlanta suburbs 3 years ago and I dream of moving back to the city one day.

Melissa     at 12:12 pm

Soooo glad it worked out–you get your dream-house after all! And 5 days?! WOW that’s awesome! Size definitely isn’t everything and I am so glad you found your happy place!

Kaitlyn @ Keeping up with Kaitlyn     at 12:13 pm

Wow! That’s an amazing story and how you know all of this was truly meant to be!! SO excited for the gender reveal! Still thinking a Girl!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 12:15 pm

That’s a crazy-great story, Emily! Congrats!

Theresa     at 12:15 pm

Loved this post and how you started it (and ended it)with the coffee mugs. I also have a love for sentimental coffee mugs! My favorite is a San Francisco mug my parents got me the Christmas before I moved here. Now I want a matching San Diego mug since that is where Andrew is from.

I am SO happy for you! It sounds like that was meant to be your home. I can’t wait to see pictures of the new place and for the gender reveal! I say GIRL!

krissy m. murphy     at 12:15 pm

Thanks for this post, Emily. It makes me feel better about our current housing situation (or lack of). You are always so real, I’m not a regular reader, but I am a longtime one – thank you for what you do.

Katie D.     at 12:16 pm

When everything works out like that – you know it was meant to be!

It sounds like you are finally home, Congratulations!

Angela     at 12:17 pm

Welcome back to the “west-side!” My husband and I got married in Magnolia Park almost 4 years ago for the exact same reason: we love that neighborhood. We just bought a house in West Seattle though since it’s closer to my job (again, commute factor), but we had been living in UDistrict and Green Lake in past 3 years. Excited to see more details of your new Magnolia home :-)

Lauren @ The Highlands Life     at 12:19 pm

We also chose character and location over square footage and newness and are so happy. We love our 80 year old home, flaws and all.

Thanks for sharing Emily. Can’t wait to see pictures and find out if you’re having a boy or girl!

Jacquelyn @justjacq     at 12:20 pm

Wow, one heck of a story! Congratulations!!

Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep     at 12:21 pm

Congratulations!!! I’m so excited for you and your adorable family. I can’t wait to see what the new house looks like.

Emilia     at 12:23 pm

You have to be the best writer ever. I actually felt like I was running errands with you, that I helped you put the dogs in the car. That I participated on the long phone calls.

I am so happy for you guys.
By the way I am dying to know new baby Malone gender. You are killing us!

Katharine     at 12:25 pm

Congrats! And what a story to tell. It sounds like that house is truly meant to be :) Can’t wait to hear more!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 12:25 pm

Congratulations on your move! It’s so wonderful how everything worked out like that — sounds like you were really meant to be in the house you currently have. Funny that you mention a retirement home, though: my grandparents have lived in an incredible retirement home in Redmond for the past 21 years, and I highly recommend it…though maybe not for a few more decades ;)

Amy @ Molly Learns     at 12:41 pm

Congrats! So happy that you’ve found a place that’s just right for your family. What a beautifully written post! Can’t wait to see your new digs!

Jeanette     at 12:41 pm

Congrats! Talk about persistence paying off! Most people would have just left the old/new house alone. I’m so glad things worked out for you. Looking forward to pics :)

Michele     at 12:42 pm

Oh, wow Emily. I am in tears. I’m SO happy for you!! I’m a long-time reader and I’m not sure I’ve ever commented but your sincere heart and gratitude shines through SO brightly in this post – I just had to congratulate you!!

I’m thrilled for you, that your journey has brought you to a place you truly feel at home in and can enjoy your beautiful family in. Bless you!!! *hugs* <3

Dana w     at 12:49 pm

Congrats on getting your dream home! I can’t wait to see pics and find out the gender! :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}     at 12:49 pm

Congratulations. So incredible that it all worked out! Sounds meant to be :)

Marci     at 12:51 pm

impressive! moving is stressful. I hope to wait many years before moving again. we moved into our current house four days before going to the hospital to have our baby. hoping for many fun times in your new house!

Candice     at 1:05 pm

Congratulations Emily! So happy for you:) What an amazing story!

Mandy     at 1:09 pm

Congrats! I’ve been on the other side of that situation. My husband and I had been thinking of moving closer to family in Dallas when out of the blue an agent approached us with a cash offer for our home in Phoenix. One month later we quit our jobs and moved to Dallas after only living in our home for one year. Fortunately, we also purchased our home well below market value and it appreciated 30% over the year we lived there. Crazy how things just work out!

Lena     at 1:09 pm

I totally agree with your quote. ‘We learned a valuable lesson that square footage and shiny master bathrooms are overrated when compared to location, character, and priceless proximity to friends and jobs.’ Isn’t it great that even as you get older there are still so many lessons to learn. My husband works in Kirkland, so we live in Kirkland, 2 miles from his work. Every place I have ever lived, everything has always been 5-10 mins away, I don’t know how you lasted this long in Kirkland. I hope you enjoy the new neighbourhood!

Morgan     at 1:20 pm

We just did the exact same thing-bought and sold within a year. (And sold in 5 days too!) (AND we downsized!) It is nice to read that there are people who think that living in the ‘burbs in a giant house isn’t all that’s cracked up to be AND who are willing to sell that house and trade it in for happiness! I am sure our neighbors thought we were crazy for buying a selling within a year. But its worth it in the long run.

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 1:24 pm

We’ll miss you on the Eastside but that is awesome you now have the house of your dreams! You are one lucky family!

Jenni     at 1:25 pm

Congratulations on your new house! That’s so exciting. By the way, I love mugs too! They’re such comforting objects. Probably because what we use them for (coffee, tea, etc.) are such comforting beverages!

Becky     at 1:36 pm

Yay! I love this story! Congratulations and I hope you enjoy your new home!

Laura     at 1:46 pm

What a wonderful story! Congratulations!

Melissa     at 1:52 pm

Congrats! It’s really tough to not be in the right location. Right now we live in a new built, but 30 mins away from anything. I limit my trips into ‘town’ because its insane to drive for more than an hour everyday with a baby. But people just don’t get it when we say we want to live closer. Glad that everything worked out for you guys! Can’t wait to hear the exciting news!

Meagan     at 1:57 pm

I loved reading this! I am so happy for your family :) I haven’t been over to Magnolia yet. Are you close to Discovery Park? Congratulations again! What a blessing that the whole process worked out.

Carrie @ Kiss My Whisk     at 1:58 pm

Congratulations! Very exciting for you and your family. We just bought a house in Ballard, so I’m familiar with the crazy Seattle housing market, and am impressed you bought a house that wasn’t even for sale!

Dawn     at 2:01 pm

What an amazing story!!! I am so happy that everything came together like this for your family. Congratulations!! You have given me hope, too. We have been diligently looking for a new home for a year (after living in a house we’re unsatisfied with for eight years) and so far … nothing. Maybe things will work out after all (with patience!). Thank you for sharing and I can’t wait to read about your gender reveal party.

Heidi     at 2:02 pm

I need the Phinney Ridge mug! Loved the story, Emily. We bought our 100-year-old house a year ago and are in the midst of yet another round of construction. (It had so many projects….but amazing views and bones.) I’m not sorry for a second that we accepted an ancient kitchen, smaller closets, and everything else about an old home in exchange for character and an amazing walkable neighborhood close to parks and downtown. Location is everything, and Magnolia is a great pick! Congrats on having it all work out for you guys!

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 2:06 pm

what a crazy awesome story! can’t wait to see pics!

Staci     at 2:19 pm

I love this story, thank you for sharing it on your blog. I think its neat that you collect mugs of really special places, I may have to start my own little collection soon.

Lauren     at 2:21 pm

So excited to read more! and see PICTURES!

We are in the process of closing on a house too…old, cute and perfect for us. And you are so right…Seattle market is NUTS! We are headed to Vashon :)

Tanya @ Vegan Faith     at 2:33 pm

I am so happy for you and I believe for one you made the absolute right choice. You cannot put a price tag on happiness, and fortunately for you guys you didn’t have to. I would have done the same thing even if it meant a slight loss! Congrats!

Dad     at 2:46 pm

Congratulations Emily! Your house hunting saga is a classic, complete with happy ending. We have a garden rock which is inscribed “Bloom where God plants you”. My wish for you and your family is that you now settle in, put down roots, and bloom. Much love…

Gabrielle     at 2:50 pm

Wow, what a great story! I’ve been following you since you first settled into the townhouse in Alexandria I think it was. I can’t even remember how I found your blog, just surfing I guess, but you had just moved in, or maybe were just moving out of the previous home. I watched/read about you settling in, learning your neighborhood, and your weekends, decorating, and then the job for Casey and move to Seattle. So much moving! I can’t wait to see the new house, and I hope it brings your family much happiness!

I think Baked Potato is a girl! :)

Gina     at 2:51 pm

OMG!!! I didn’t realize you were moving into THAT home! I remember how bummed you were when the sellers pulled out last year. How exciting, I’m so happy for you all!

Nicole     at 3:09 pm

Wow, i loved reading this post. My husband is in the military so we move so much and it really is important where you live and the life surrounding you. We are visiting Seattle in August and would love any must sees you have! We are staying downtown and do not have a car. E-mail would be great if you get time. Enjoy your new home!!

Tori L.     at 3:09 pm

Congratulations Emily! I’m so glad you are finally in the house that you were meant to have. What a wonderful feeling for you and your family. It sounds like it was quite a ride to get here and you’ve made it with wonderful things on the horizon. Congratulations on expecting your second baby too! Side note: I made your Date Balls the other day and I seriously can not stop eating them. I had to hide them in the fridge so I would stop. I ate the last one two seconds ago so tonight a second batch (perhaps a double batch) will be made. Love your blog! I’ve been a reader for several years. I live in Charlotte not far from where you used to live.

Rachel     at 3:12 pm

Wow what a fantastic story! I loved reading that post so much! Manifesting what you need, and funny how things work out even when at the time you don’t understand how. Wonderful. Can’t wait to see pictures and to hear about the gender reveal! x x

Christine     at 3:16 pm

Congratulations! Sounds like it was all meant to be :)

Morgan     at 3:17 pm

I got a little choked up reading this! I can relate so much. Last year we moved into a giant house that was nicer than my husband and I could have ever imagined we’d be able to live in but it NEVER felt like home. Like you, we were lucky and able to move somewhere closer to where we wanted to be but those 10 months in the big house really taught me a lot about what makes me happy. Not perfectly upgraded kitchens or square footage but being by friends and family. I’m really happy for you and hope that everything continues to go so well for your family. And I’m also dying to find out what you’re having! :) Congratulations on it all.

LaceyAnn     at 3:25 pm

Wow, congratulations!! I am amazed at how you are able to keep up with so much going on. I am so excited for you and your family to have found your dream home. Looking forward to hearing about the gender reveal AND the new house!

Beth @ Motor City on my Mind     at 4:25 pm

I am so happy for you guys that you are finally in your dream home! I can’t imagine how you must feel after all of your moves over the years and now knowing that you are going to stay put and this is the house your children will grow up in. It is so great! Congratulations!!

Lisa     at 4:32 pm

Congratulations! I am so happy for you and your family! I feel so much emotion in your writing and am glad that things worked out for you. I also have to mention that I am learning so much from your personal story and feel that I will make decisions in the future keeping your experiences in mind :)

Andrea     at 4:44 pm

So excited to hear what you are having! We are going on the market in June (was supposed to be April) whatever, yes the market is INSANE right now. We are in the South King County. Our little tiny frumpy starter house on a big lot is isapparently the right combo . We have gotten amazing feedback! I am cautiously optimistic I know all agents are over the top. We are going to build new and we are prepared to rent if we sell fast. I just find it amazing houses are selling so so fast, even down here, especially in my area. So supposedly there is lack of inventory. Have fun!

Angela     at 4:45 pm

Congrats! Did you have to pay capital gains taxes? We are considering selling after just a year also, and that is a concern!

Lynn     at 4:53 pm

What a story! and what a BLESSING, too! So glad your dream house still had your name on it. We enjoyed a brief visit with Casey last night… love to all.

skinnyrunner     at 5:03 pm

what a sweet story and how amazing that it all worked out. a blessing for sure!

Melissa     at 5:18 pm

I have been a reader since you were in Charlotte. I cannot believe how fast time flies. You are a beautiful writer Emily!

JO     at 5:41 pm

Love your story! So happy for you and your growing family. Can’t wait to see pics of your new house and find out baby’s gender!!!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 5:45 pm

I love the story. Thank you for sharing. This seems so relevant to my many “what ifs” right now.

kelsey     at 5:48 pm

So happy you are finally HOME. :)

Hannah     at 6:17 pm

So moved when I read your post. I have been there too… Where the home you think you want (and bought) makes you miserable. We too were able to sell our mistke in under 2 weeks and eventually found HOME. What a blessing when it works out and you find peace and joy in the perfect home! may you have many wonderful years with your family there!

Elsa     at 7:23 pm

That is awesome! I loved this post. Thanks so much for sharing this part of your journey with us. And congratulations!

Mia     at 7:24 pm

Congrats! And good for you, realizing that bigger wasn’t better (for you), and acting on it.

Brenda     at 7:28 pm

Wow! What an incredible journey. Congratulations on finding the house of your dreams!

My home buying experience this spring was also a wild ride… while house hunting, every house my husband and I were interested in sold in a day(or less). We were extremely frustrated, and thought we would never get a house we liked. Then one evening my husband was browsing Zillow and said, “Did you know your grandparents’ old house is for sale?” I thought it couldn’t be true, but it was! The house was at the low end of our budget AND in the exact location we wanted.

We closed on it today, and I can’t wait to move into a house were I already have 25 years worth of great memories!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy     at 7:44 pm

Congratulations!! My husband and I just bought our first house, and it is much older and more of a fixer upper than we originally wanted, but we love it, and we’re so excited to make it our own. You’re right, shiny and new isn’t always better!

Samantha @ Sweetly Striving     at 7:51 pm

That is such a wonderful story. So very excited for you. Lots of happiness and joy is in your life. You are very blessed.

Allison @Can't Wait For Breakfast     at 8:19 pm

Thanks for always being real Emily – I love how you always share your emotions – as a reader it really helps me connect and reminds me that its Ok to have those feelings too

Caitlin     at 12:10 am

Congrats!! I know your kids will have an amazing experience growing up in Magnolia just like my siblings and I did :) so happy for your family! Maybe I will run into you guys this summer when I visit my family!

Kristi     at 3:12 am

Congrats! I can’t even imagine all that you went through getting your dream home. I am still in the first home I bought and I still remember the tears I shed during all the frustrations of buying a home.

brit     at 5:08 am

thank you emily for writing about this. being an urban planner with a focus on residential development, i am often finding i need to convince people of all the benefits of living centrally. your experience and words mean so much to me. congratulations. thank you so much for writing this post.

Rachel     at 6:16 am

Aww – what a lovely story :) Wishing lots of happy times in your new home.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More     at 6:19 am

Wow! What an incredible story! Congrats and welcome HOME! :)

Aimee     at 6:19 am

You’re so not crazy! You’ve just figured out what most people don’t “get” until they retire. Live where you live! We lived on acreage for 5 years. We loved the property and the huge house, but my husband spent at least 2 hours a day commuting, and I was on the road ALL the time carting our 7 kids to all their activities. A year ago my husband died after a 4 week battle with leukemia. And just like that it seemed so SILLY that he had spent so much of his life in the car! I moved the kids to a small city so that everything’s close. It makes so much more sense.

Chase     at 6:53 am

What a crazy story! But I’m glad that you found what’s right for you and your family. This is a true story that you have to just ask for what you want. You just might get surprised!

Ingunn     at 12:47 pm

Love this story! Congratulations on finding your dream home – we found ours last year, and I felt totally at home for the first time in my adult life…and I can totally see us living here for a looong time.

Bitch on a Diet     at 3:19 pm

That is ABSOLUTELY amazing! congrats on your new home : )
My husband and I also want to buy a house but unfortunately we’re already being overpriced in our area (southern California) so we’ll just have to wait until our dream house shows up at the right price. Good thing we love our rental right now

Paula     at 3:48 pm

How awesome….what a great story with a happy ending, loved this post and the mugs! :)

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Our Gender Reveal Party (and the Big News!).     at 4:05 pm

[...] to.  In just a matter of a few days, I feel like my life changed so much.  We’re in a new house that we couldn’t love more, and we’re expecting another gorgeous boy that is going to change [...]

Ravyn     at 4:59 pm

I’m SO very happy for you guys!!! We are in a similar situation in Portland, so I know how trying the whole house thing can be. I can’t wait for your updates. Enjoy that new house!!

Megan Baer     at 8:45 pm

Congratulations on the new house! What an amazing journey to get to your dream home – I’m so very happy for you guys.

Also, my husband and I recently visited Seattle and since then he was had some major dreams of moving out there – he fell immediately in love with the beauty, bounty of outdoor activities and vegan/veggie friendly atmosphere. One of his favorite places was Discovery Park (mine too), so he about died when I shared with him that you guys moved to the Magnolia area. Yes, I give my husband semi-monthly Daily Garnish updates, or as he calls them: “DG updates”. He’s always so surprised at how much Cullen has grown up. I tell him it’s baby growth training for when we have kids. :)

Again, so happy for you guys! I CAN’T WAIT to see a house tour post! No rush though… I’m sure you guys are plenty busy.

Julie     at 6:43 am

What a great story! It was just meant to be. :)

Christina     at 7:32 am

Congratulations!

I completely identify with what you posted here. Long story short my fiancee and I built what we thought was our dream house back in 2005. It included his and her closets, a master retreat with it’s own fireplace, a huge bonus room, and a gourmet kitchen. Total it was almost 4,000 sf. Yes, 4,000 square feet for three people. Three and a half considering we only have his son every other week. While it was absolutely gorgeous I would find months going by where I hadn’t entered two whole rooms. We lost it thanks to the horrible economy and the fact that we were both in industries that weren’t sustainable (he the car business, me high end development). It was heart breaking at first and a loss I will never truly “get over” but in hindsight it was too much house. And holy crap the cleaning. NON STOP. Now we are in the house he built shortly before we started dating, with plans to buy an even smaller house once his son is out and in college. Give me a one story on a nice sized lot over a palatial house on a postage stamp any day.

Thank you for sharing your life with us, can’t wait to see pictures of the new house! You have a knack for creating beautiful spaces.

Wow, that is nuts. I relate to the cleaning though – I could never keep up! And many of our rooms were empty because we never used them and had no reason to pay to furnish them. Such a waste!! Happy you found something you are happy in now. :)

Veganlily     at 12:35 am

SO happy for you and was very much hoping you’d move based on your posts over the year. I bought my first house at 29 and sold it at 31 – wasn’t the right fit. I also didn’t lose a penny but it would have been worth it even if I had. This is such good news for your marriage and family-kudos to having the strength to change a choice that wasn’t right for you!

char eats greens     at 8:16 am

That’s a great story and I can’t believe how perfect it worked. I say, good for you for asking the owners to reconsider selling! And good thing you did or else you would have always wondered what could have been…now IT IS!! :)

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Easter Weekend 2014.     at 3:07 pm

[...] bunny ears on.  Last year, we had just gotten back from traveling and we were in the midst of selling our house, which meant Easter fell off the radar.  This year was simple and relaxed, but definitely felt [...]