Moving To Magnolia.

The crazy thing about blogging is that you end up with this tangible archive of memories of things you’d otherwise likely never have documented.  Over the last ten years (since I graduated college), I have moved a zillion times.  And here in this space, I’ve documented quite a few of them:

So here is how the last week or so has played out.  Last Wednesday, we officially closed on our Magnolia home.  It was a wild day of last minute meetings, racing to signing appointments, and general chaos – but by the end of the day we had keys to our new place in hand and nothing else mattered.

As is tradition for us when moving, we celebrated by having a picnic dinner (Vietnamese takeout this time, mmmm) on the floor of our empty house.

After a year of hoping and waiting, it felt so surreal to finally be in there and have it be ours

All three of us ran around like kids exploring the new space, opening every nook and cranny, and enjoying all the warm sunshine pouring in the windows.  It felt so right.

Capture

Celebratory photos at the door before we left!

Even though it was pushing bedtime and we still had to drive 40 minutes back to Kirkland, we decided celebratory cupcakes were definitely in order.

Cullen did not seem to mind.

The next day was another busy one.  We were out the door immediately to drop Cullen at a friend’s house, run over to the new Magnolia house to meet carpet installers, and then head to the hospital for my 20-week ultrasound.  Even though it was hard to squeeze in, I am so glad we got the carpet replaced before we moved in so we didn’t have to move furniture and things around again post-move.  It is so soft and fabulous!

Thursday night my mom arrived to help, and that’s when the real madness began.  On Friday we started working around 7am and basically never stopped.  I made one last messy pancake breakfast for all of us before we got to work, and then we got moving.

Capture

My mom’s job was to play with Cullen and keep him happy (and safe) while Casey and I tore the house apart.  He is totally in love with her, and was very happy to show her all his new skills and things.

While they played, I boxed up most of the second floor.

The dogs just sat there looking at us like you have got to be kidding me.  We counted that night, and realized that this new house will be Huey’s 10th, and Indy’s 8th – they are pros by now.  If only they’d help pack some boxes!

We worked pretty much nonstop until our bodies were totally drained.  Casey took a car load of breakables over to the new house, and ran around doing all the wall patching and touch up paint.  By dinner time, we were all ready for a break and some fresh air.

We headed down to our very last Friday night Juanita Beach market.  I’m sure we’ll go back at some point to visit with friends we made over there, but it felt a little emotional to go there for the last time as residents.

Juanita Beach was probably my favorite thing in our old area, and Cullen loved going there to swing and dig in the sand.  The summer market was my favorite Friday night tradition!

Good thing we will have lots of nearby playgrounds in our new neighborhood, just waiting for us to explore them.

Goodbye, Kirkland!  You are very pretty, but you were not right for us.

Saturday was moving day, and we were up and at ‘em around 5 to get started.  I’m planning to write a Babble post this week on tips for moving with toddlers, but let me just say – I do NOT know what we would have done without my mom.  Once our movers arrived, the house became total chaos, and he barely even noticed because he was so enamored by her (okay, and the iPad).

We also had the world’s BEST moving crew.  For this move, we used a local company – Adam’s Movers – and I have seriously never seen a crew work so hard.  They were literally running down the steps and up the ramp to the truck.  They pulled up at 8am and had our entire houses loaded and ready to go by 9:30 – it was nuts.

Cullen was into the giant truck.

Capture

And just like that, it was time to go!  I felt a bit emotional as we packed up and left our house.  Even though it wasn’t the right fit for us, we had a big year there and grew a lot as individuals and as a family.  No regrets.  (Okay, slight regret on the cargo shorts.  Hey, it was moving day.)

Our movers continued their amazing job and had us totally unloaded into our new place by noon.  I couldn’t believe it!  We even had time to take a break and go out for a sit down lunch.  We were all so tired and hungry – we needed it.

We spent the rest of Saturday settling in, unpacking boxes, and getting adjusted to the new space.  My mom is an animal and was determined that we were going to have all the major stuff done before she left.  The worst part is always the kitchen, right?

By Sunday afternoon we were in great shape, and ready to relax and have people over to see our new space.  Our gender reveal party was that evening!

As timing would have it, Monday morning Casey was out the door at 4am to leave for a week-long work trip – so sad!  Luckily we got to hold onto Grandma for a few more hours, and she took the red eye home on Monday night.

So this week, it’s been just me and C settling into a new space and learning the ropes of our new neighborhood.  It feels great to be here, but we are very ready for dad to come home and enjoy it with us (he gets in tonight – hurrah!).  We have really missed him!

Capture

So many of you have been asking for new house pictures and a house tour once we are settled in.  I have to be honest that I’m feeling a lot more private about our space and our home this time.  To keep it brief, we suffered some pretty major privacy invasions during our last home purchase and sale, and I’d like to minimize the risk of that happening again.  Of course, I know that sharing our life online opens us to some of that, but perhaps I (naively) also counted on the greater good of people.

So while I will certainly still continue to share our adventures and many family photos, I don’t think I’ll be doing a formal tour of this house.  After all, this is the house where our children live, and the need and desire to protect them is our first priority.  This is also really important because Casey travels for work quite a bit, leaving me here on my own with kiddos (creepers beware – I am ready for you!).

But I thought I’d show you two happy pups who are LOVING their new space.  I haven’t seen them this happy (or well behaved) since we lived in Charlotte on an acre in the woods.  They have so much more room to run and roam here, and they are acting like puppies again.

So here we are!  One week in, and excited to get settled and finally plant some roots.  And a garden!

Andrea     at 4:55 pm

Oh, the new house sounds lovely! As for the electric coil stove… Oy vey. I got used to them. But I am soooooo looking forward to gas in the next house. sorry to hear you had creepers, gives me the heebie jeebies. luckily I have a vicious sounding dog… (he is a puggle) so while he may not physically harm someone, you would not know it from his bark. very protective when I am home alone.

Leah Reply:

I had a glass top electric stove for 13 years! It worked out really well (just converted to gas). I would suggest the glass top over the coils any day! It also worked well with our cast iron pans.

We have had glass-top before too! Definitely easier to clean, and can provide extra counter space when it’s not in use (or hot). Eventually we’d like to renovate the kitchen to look more like the original farm house style, rather than such a dark, modern look!

Stacy Reply:

I wish I could do gas stoves. My taste runs towards old homes that have them, but I am apparently allergic/sensitive to the chemical they add to the gas to make it smell so that you know when you have a gas leak. Such a pain. I love glass top stoves, but I have broken one with my cast iron, so I opt for coils.

Same here. Our dogs go absolutely insane for any noises or knocks at the door. I would pick a different house! :)

amanda     at 5:00 pm

The new house looks lovely – I’m so happy for you and your family! And I’m surprised (guess I’m a little naive myself!) to find out that you had your privacy invaded with your last move … how scary! I hope you’re settling in and able to get a little rest!

lisa fine     at 5:01 pm

Congrats on the new house! It kind of becomes easier each time, and kind of not. My fiance and I have lived in four places in the last year, partly because we like to try new locations, and partly because of circumstance (like relocation for jobs). If anything, packing and unpacking helps us throw and give away a lot each time.

YES! We have purged SO MUCH STUFF! This move involved three car loads to Goodwill and many items sold on Craigslist. Somehow we still keep finding more to get rid of, even though it feels like there should be nothing left! But packing/unpacking has become a quick process for us, since we’ve done it so many times now. Definitely one of the perks! Four in one year is more moving than me! :)

Ingunn     at 5:11 pm

So happy to see you so happy! Sorry about the privacy invasion – I hope it wasn’t anything too creepy. :(

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More     at 5:14 pm

Congrats on the new home and successful move! :)

Thank you Katie!

Emily     at 5:18 pm

I loved the Magnolia neighborhood when I lived in Seattle. Hilly tho!!! Get those legs ready for lots of hill walking/running/biking!

I read this right after we got back from a walk and my legs were BURNING! Although most of Seattle is super hilly – hard to avoid! As I climbed a giant hill with the stroller I was thinking, “no way I could do this on a bike.” Haha!

Jaclyn     at 5:33 pm

I think it’s super creepy that public records of little ole me are available online for the world to see. I can’t even begin to imagine how concerned you must feel at times. I would have reccomended setting up some sort of trust so that your private information would be a little more difficult for creepers to find. Unfortunately, the Internet makes things too easy. Best of luck on your new home.

My favorite thing about moving is being able to run through the house when there is absolutely nothing in it! Nothing more fun than that. Especially since the rest of moving pretty much sucks!

Haha totally!

katie p     at 5:42 pm

such a shame you had privacy issues! on a happier note, congrats on your home! lots of fun things happening for your family :)

Rachel @ Personality Crafts     at 6:03 pm

Yay, congrats on the new home Emily! It looks beautiful and love the views. That’s awful about the privacy violation stuff, but hopefully that is all behind you and you can be relaxed and happy about the new place.

And congrats on another boy–how exciting for you and Cullen!

Angie     at 6:18 pm

Its awful that you’ve had privacy issues. I understand wanting some sort of privacy. My husband travels all the time for work too. I love the view from your deck!

Leah     at 6:25 pm

Emily,

Best move story ever: happy pups, happy toddler, and time with your Mom!

For the past 2 months (we’re in the process of re-doing our kitchen ourselves) we have had what I fondly refer to as the “dish rack discussion.” Tonight as I read your post I was able to shout out to my husband: “See this, someone else has the same dish rack that I love and you hate.” :)

Thanks for sharing…and for helping me score one for the pro-bamboo dish rack department.

Haha this made me laugh bc when I put it out I turned to my mom and said. “how do we feel about the dish rack?” The thing is I don’t love having it out, but the alternative is dishes and towels all over the counter every day. I know I am not going to hand dry every dish as I clean it, so I have to be realistic about a functional solution. And I think the bamboo looks way better than wire or plastic. :)

Gabrielle Reply:

I’m seeing comments about your kitchen, but I don’t see anything in the post about the kitchen, or a dish rack, or electric coil stove. Did you remove the picture/caption? I did, however, see the picture of your mom helping you set up the kitchen on Instagram… maybe you posted that here to and removed it?

I had a few pictures of the house posted originally, but then got a number of emails from readers who had additional concerns based on some things they saw on other sites. Feels stupid, but I figured I’d just take them down to cover all my bases. Sorry for the confusion.

mia     at 6:29 pm

Yay! So happy yall feel settled and finally home! It stinks that Casey has to travel so much, but life is what it is at times. I know how ya feel…..minus the babies. The cupcakes and pancakes look yummy.

So sorry you have had to deal with privacy issues and creepers. That is part of why I have always been afraid to blog. I don’t know how bloggers do it and can still stay sane/ sleep at night. I can’t recommend a home secuity systems enough! Love the sense of comfort it provides. :) wishing you all the best!!

We have one, and I love it! Definitely helps ease the mind. :)

Catherine     at 7:01 pm

Good for you for protecting your privacy and family! So glad you found a house and a neighborhood that will fit your family!

Meagan     at 7:04 pm

Oh so exciting! I had a big laugh with your comment about the dogs thoughts about another move. Too funny! I’m also really sorry about your privacy invasion! That is definitely not ok. I personally have always been scared something like that would happen to me so that’s why I never really share anything much person about myself on my blog. I really admire people like you though, who can find a happy balance, since I so enjoy reading!

Syndie     at 7:22 pm

Your new house is beautiful! I can tell how excited you are :). I am so sorry to hear that your privacy was invaded. That is nothing I would have expected and I totally understand your feelings on the issue! Crazy to think I have been reading your blog since your “car accident” in VA! So much has changed and I love seeing your new posts. Thank you for sharing with us!

Thanks for reading for so long!

Nikki     at 7:37 pm

Two questions:
1) Is Casey’s travel more difficult emotionally while you’re pregnant? I’m 23 weeks and my husband is in China right now; normally I miss him but right now I feel downright sad and emotional about him being gone.
2) On a more positive note, where are those cupcakes from? I feel like I’ve seen them on an episode from the Cooking Channel.

Casey’s travel is just a part of our reality, so I try not to let myself get worked up about it. Neither of us enjoys it, but we knew it was part of the job when we came out here, so we try to view it as something that allows us to live a nice life, rather than something to resent. That said, it is definitely not easy. It also depends on where he is. This trip was just to the midwest, but he’s been to China before too, and I’m always much more worried and lonely when he’s incredibly far away. Cupcakes are Trophy Cupcakes, and delicious! :)

Megan Reply:

I can relate to a traveling husband. Emily you have a really great outlook on it! My husband is a pilot so I knew what I was getting into when I first met him. We also moved away from family and when I was pregnant I would cry when he would leave for trips (total hormones). It’s given us amazing opportunities so I try and remember that when I am home alone with our son for days.
Nikki- don’t feel bad about being emotional- I’ve been there. Hope your husband gets home soon.

Anyways, congrats on the move! I absolutely love Seattle. We come to visit family at least once a year. That really sucks about your privacy. I’ve worried about how much information to keep off my blog and its relatively small. Thanks for being so open about how much you are sharing/keeping private! It helps to hear others opinions on the matter. Hopefully people can respect you and let you share what information you want! Ill keep reading as long as you are writing!

Nikki Reply:

I’m not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed, but I knew I recognized that cupcake! Trophy Cupcakes was on Unique Sweets! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLTd7svhhOQ)

Haha too funny!

Julia     at 7:42 pm

Gorgeous house, Emily! Can’t believe you moved and got settled so quickly.

In regards to the privacy issue, that’s pretty creepy. Can I ask, though, given that you’ve had a problem, why you didn’t keep some more details about this move private? If I were in your shoes, I don’t think I would have shared more than the fact that I was moving and even kept the new area private. There’s just too many weirdos out there….one incident would be enough to have me setting up some additional boundaries for sure!

On a related note, has this had any effect on your thoughts about posting pictures of Cullen (and the new baby when he :) comes?) I love the peeks into other lives that blogs afford, but I sometimes wonder about the safety aspect of so much personal information being shared in one place…for me, I’d be really nervous having so many pictures of my kids out there if it was easy for people to also get other information about me like where I lived. Maybe it’s just me, I can’t really imaging having so many strangers know so much about my life, lol!

Julia Reply:

Just read that back and hope it doesn’t sound snarky, as that’s not how I meant it…just genuinely curious. I honestly don’t know how you do it, because being so open with strangers would be torture for me!

Not snarky at all – at least I didn’t take it that way. I actually DO feel like I kept details of this move private! I never mentioned our house was for sale or that we were moving until basically the week before it all happened. I mentioned our neighborhood name only because I knew it would become very obvious (to anyone local) as soon as we were here, based on surrounding things/restaurants/parks/etc. It also happens to be the largest neighborhood in Seattle proper, so knowing the name really doesn’t tell you much. I didn’t give any details about the new house like # of bedrooms, age/style/size of the home, etc. Unfortunately, property transfer records are public information, so anyone can find someone’s address if they really want to. I will say that it takes a special kind of asshole (sorry, it’s true) to go to the effort of looking it up and then sharing it on highly trafficked sites. And even creepier to then tour the open house of a blogger’s home.

My desire to protect Cullen and future kids grows every day, and weighs heavily on my mind. I honestly can’t tell you how much longer I will continue here. As far as photos go – I actually don’t worry about that quite as much. I figure with social media the way it is now, everyone’s life is just naturally a lot more public than it used to be. Whether it appears so or not, I am very very careful about what I share about my family, both here and in other SM outlets. This space probably captures about 20% of our life. The rest us for us to enjoy – (hopefully) privately.

Sharon Reply:

Hi Emily,
It makes me so sad that there are people out there who have absolutely no regard for others privacy and are willing to compromise their safety – enough so that you are considering pulling the plug on your blog. I am a long time reader (since your Flying Pig blog days with Lindsey!) and will be so sad to see you go if that time ever comes. I will miss following the adventures of you & your adorable family, but at the same time, I totally understand. Thank you so much for sharing all that you have these last few years. You are my favorite blogger by far :)

Flying Pig blog, OMG! You win for longest reader. :) Thank you so much! Not going anywhere today. :)

Ella     at 8:08 pm

Hey Emily! I think it’s smart to protect yourself and your family. Take every precaution possible – I wonder if there are some good resources about protecting yourself while maintaining an online presence? I had my eyes opened a bit when we moved into our house last month (first time owning) and a cop ran a neighborhood watch meeting. She gave us a lot of good tips and scared a little sense into me. We can be so naive, but it’s SO important to protect our little ones!

Jennifer Reply:

Just curious, what tips did the cop share with you?

We have lived in a few major cities, so we are pretty cautious now (not that crime doesn’t happen in small cities too…). We are very mindful of locking doors/windows, we have a security system, we have a gun, and we have two dogs who are very protective of us. I typically feel very safe, but I also know it’s dangerous to lose awareness.

Anne Reply:

Maybe it’s because I’m not american, but reading “we have a gun” makes me feel very uncomfortable. I’m thinking, my god, security system, dogs, and everything is enough, no ? Cause with a kid, you hide the gun, so what’s the point of having it… Sorry, it’s so strange for my culture/values…

Margaret Reply:

Anne I don’t think that its just because you are not an american. I was exposed to guns a child, I work with many people who carry weapons as part of their job (I am a prosecutor, but I don’t chose to carry), WA is an open carry state so guns are pretty common around here, and I realized owning a gun does not make me feel “safer” at home, or at work for that matter. But, I think its a personal standard, and if it makes Emily feel safer, cool by me.

My grandfather kept the guns in a gun safe and the bullets in his safety deposit box when he was in the city. He taught his kids and grandkids to shot when we were on the ranch and I have always associated guns with hunting and being outdoors, not with personal safety. I carry when I am backpacking, sometimes, especially in Alaska and it makes me feel safer, but the vast majority of gun violence that I see at work has nothing to do with strange home invaders.

The funny thing about my job is that it makes me way more scared of drunk drivers, which are far more common and deadly than most of us realize, than random acts of violence, which are exceedingly rare. I want to say that over 90 percent of rape victims know their rapist, but I can’t recall the exact statistic. Most of us don’t like to think about the fact that its extremely likely if we are victims of violent crimes, the perpetrator will not be a stranger. Of course random acts of violence happen too, and we should be responsible with our personal safety, but at least in most American cities crime rates are at record lows.

I guess my point was Anne, I get how you feel, but I think that I have a somewhat typical American response, which is to all their own. Different things will make, different people feel safe.

Great perspective, Margaret!

Sara Reply:

It is NOT an American thing. She may have a gun, but that is not how it is done around here. I would never have a gun. Please don’t lump all Americans into gun-toters. Ugh.

Anne Reply:

Thanks for your response Margaret and Sara. What I was trying to say in a more simple way is that I never saw a gun in my entire life, I don’t know anyone with a gun, etc. I live in a very big city but here guns are linked to criminality and not personal protection… But I know it’s a sensible subject. And a more complex one also.// I remember the story of the blogger from Eat, Live, Run; her little brother was killed by his friend, by accident, in a house, with a gun, from a bad manipulation… This is just an example, but I would never accept a gun in my house, it’s like… visceral.

I think this is a really complicated (and personal) topic, and one I really did not intend to open up here. I actually did not grow up with or around guns either, and to be totally honest they make me somewhat uncomfortable. But all cultures and families are different, and Casey grew up in a much more pro-gun family. We do not know that it’s something we will keep long-term, but for now we aren’t concerned given our own safety precautions, and the age of our child.

I replied to the original comment, and this is not a conversation I intended to get into at all. We are not “gun toters” by any means. It is important to not make mass generalizations in general.

Lauren L.     at 8:54 pm

Happy for you! It seems like a great fit. Enjoy!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life     at 8:57 pm

I love having had a peek into your days/weekends but also understand the importance of privacy for you and your family.
Three years ago I had a blog that I documented everything on and now I look back and wonder why I felt that need to divulge so much. My current blog is much more private and our life had changed so much in 3 years that I feel comfortable blogging again (i.e. we’ve moved, I don’t write about everything I do, where I am at that exact moment, when we’re going on vacation, etc.)
I’ll enjoy reading what you do decide to keep sharing. Congratulations on the move.

Kt     at 10:05 pm

I find these comments about safety and privacy really interesting! I really don’t mean this as a “holier than thou” type of comment, but I feel like where I live in Canada (in a big city) we aren’t as concerned about these things. I mean, obviously our gun laws are very different which results in a different crime culture. I just hate the idea of people living in fear. Of course Emily, I can understand where you are coming from. I’m glad that you are taking precautions that make you feel safer. I just don’t think I would EVER feel safer with a gun in my home.

On another note, I am moving in a few weeks and the fact that you could pack and move so quickly and efficiently is so encouraging! Thanks.

Leah M     at 10:10 pm

Congrats on the new house! I always enjoy reading about your adventures.

Stephanie     at 10:50 pm

Congratulations to you and your family on all the exciting news.

I love your blog and totally respect your choice of keeping things private.
My favorite posts are about what you feed you and your family anyway. Please keep the blog going. The room I am not interested in is your kitchen! I love your recipes and food perspective. I pased your blog posts about milk options for Cullen to many of my friends contemplating the same issue.

Also as a new mom with a 4 week old I read all your pregnancy archive when I was pregnant and really appreciated the real perspectiveit offeref.

Congrats on your little one! How exciting!!

Sally     at 11:58 pm

Hey Emily, I remember last time you moved you hired plastic moving boxes. Did you use them again this time? If not I wonder what your reason was for not using them again?

I’m moving in a month and have hired plastic moving boxes for my move. Something I thought wouldn’t be available here in Australia but surprisingly it is. Your thoughts on cardboard vs plastic boxes would be interesting.

I hope you are settling into your new house now.

thanks
Sally

We looked into it for this move, but it was a lot more expensive than I had anticipated (last time we had a Living Social deal). I couldn’t justify spending $200 to rent boxes. :/ We have friends moving next weekend, so we got cardboard instead and then gave them all to friends to be reused.

Sally Reply:

Thanks Emily, yes that’s fair enough about the cost. I’ve only got a small house with just me so probably don’t need quite as many boxes as your family. :)

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 1:14 am

Wow that was one busy weekend! Fair play to you all! Can’t wait to see the new house and hear about your new adventures :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 4:32 am

Looks like you need some rest girl! But what a rewarding weekend! So happy everything went smoothly for you :)

Lee     at 4:37 am

Glad the move went well and the dogs are happy. My dog has only moved once and he was a nervous wreck about the whole thing!

Enjoy your new home! And definitely keep things private if you feel you need to. Keeping yourself and your family safe is the most important thing.

Laura     at 5:35 am

I have to say I really loved this update.. your new house looks so beautiful and I think it’s a good idea to keep things more private this time around! I am also really loving those vases you have on your dining room table, would you mind telling me where you got them? Thanks!

Crate and Barrel!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate     at 5:39 am

Wow– y’all are moving pros!! We’ve moved three times in the past five years, and I still feel like every time, we’re doing it new (and doing it wrong, ha).

That’s scary about the creepers. I know that must be rough, especially with your husband out of town so often.

crystal     at 7:08 am

looks and sounds like your move went smoothy! So glad to hear! You really are a pro at moving! you should give us some tips :)

Lauren @Sassy Molassy     at 7:11 am

Ah, congrats on the new place! You guys look really happy! I love that you have a picnic dinner on your first night. In a new place. Sorry to hear about creepers. Stay safe.

Natasha     at 7:13 am

May I ask where your strappy orangey-tan sandals are from?
Congrats on getting your house that feels like home :)

Target!

Amy     at 7:24 am

congrats again your move! I totally understand the privacy thing. I appreciate you sharing what you have so far. Glad everyone is settling in to your HOME. :-)

Steffanie Roulet     at 7:57 am

I felt a tinge of pain when you wrote of your privacy issues. It is the sad danger of being public with your life. I feel honored you share your family with us.

Your posts bring back lovely memories of my daughter being little. She is now in college and I think in hindsight what a treasure your blog is. When Cullen and his litte brother are older they will have the most amazing treasure of your incredible love for them.

Thank you for sharing with us and I pray the trolls of the interwebs took your warning seriously. Don’t with a momma and two loyal dogs.

Congratulations. New house, new baby boy and many delightful and wonderful moment in the future. Yeah. I am just so darn excited for you.

Thank you, Steffanie! :)

Grace     at 8:02 am

Congrats on your move. You all look so happy!

wendi     at 8:06 am

Oh Emily, from one who has enjoyed reading your blog for a while now, I really am so sorry to hear about all of this privacy stuff. I had no idea any of that was being spoken about (did you delete the comments about it all? How did you know some creeper toured your house?? That’s too far!!).
Having said that, I truly enjoy reading your blog. Maybe now is a good time to take this private– you’ve met some great people through this blog who fully support you and who you are safe sharing with (me included!!) and would never creep into your reality. I know you make $ with page views, but honestly, your content really is no longer as much about cooking/fitness now as it is about your family. I think some people feel if you are making $ from us reading about your life, they have a “right” to look into public info about that life (I am NOT justifying it, but it is akin to the whole “celebrity/paparazzi thing). Perhaps if you went private, and invited us safe people, that would help you to feel better about things, and keep your personal private info off of the internet. Only then could you truly have control over it.
I must say, I have seen you in person at a park (twice!!) and, even though I enjoy your blog, I didn’t feel comfortable approaching you, because of the whole privacy thing.
Have a wonderful weekend!!

Liz @ The Shrinking Owl Reply:

Your comment is kind of creepy… if you saw her in the park and you are “friends” why would you not say hi? Then referring to yourself as “safe”?

Sorry, you’re just making all kinds of “creeper flags” pop up for me.

wendi Reply:

How is that a “creeper flag”? I never claimed to be her “friend”, and this is exactly why I have never approached her (or any other blogger, or a celebrity that I recognize for that matter). I enjoy reading her blog and have ever since she moved to my city. She can post details about her life without having to worry about certain people (such as me) calling her neighborhood/house/gym, etc. out in public way, or worse, touring her open house. Had we conversed before, it’s one thing, but if you ask me, running up to someone that you recognize from the internet (or TV or movies) to say hello is pretty creepy. I’m a mom, I live in the same city, I homeschool my kids. We frequent parks, markets, museums and zoos.
I don’t consider bloggers, celebrities, or any other person that I know only virtually to be a “friend”. I do enjoy reading her blog however. Is that too creepy for you?

Hey Wendi! Just finally catching up on all these comments and seeing you had a few responses. Hope there wasn’t a misunderstanding and you thought they were from me! I in no way consider myself to be a celebrity of any kind, and I actually love when people do stop and say hi! If you see us in the park again, please do. :) I love meeting other Seattle people, especially other moms!

Nope, never delete comments. Just all things that have gone on in the back end (and in my email). Some people are crazy. And yes, for some reason people think that any sort of monitization gives them rights to information and answers about things that would NEVER be public in a traditional work environment. Again – say hi next time! :)

Maggie     at 9:23 am

Hey Emily,
Congrats on the move. A quick question – where did you find Cullen’s plush veggies that are in the photo with your mom? (Sorry if you’ve answered that before).
Thanks!

Claire Reply:

not Emily, but I think that they are from ikea

Claire Reply:

not Emily, but I think that they are from ikea

They are from IKEA!

Alyson     at 9:31 am

It’s gorgeous and I’m so happy for you! I’m sorry about the invasion of privacy that previously happened; you are well within your rights to keep your home and your children safe!!!

Painting the cabinets is time-consuming, but easy to do well and it will change everything. I’ve done it myself to all the cabinets in my 115-year old home (but none of the cabinets were 115-years old!!) and I could point you to about one thousand how-to blog posts. When you want a face-lift without a whole kitchen overhaul (if you think you can live with the counters for longer than the cabinets), it’s not a bad project to take on, if you’re inclined.

I wish you and your family ALL the best there. I hope you are deliriously happy and get to stay a very long time!

Definitely a long term project, but I think it would be really fun to tackle ourselves! Lots of hard work for sure. Our house is very old too, and we’d like to preserve as much of the original charm as possible. :)

Jessi @ Quirky Cookery     at 10:35 am

So I was just skimming through my feeds quickly and I read the word three times as “Mongolia” before it finally clicked that you weren’t making THAT drastic of a move. Haha, oops!

Haha a lot of people here actually call it that because you have to connect by bridges. :)

Aimee     at 10:54 am

Thanks for sharing about the privacy concerns! I’ve been going back and forth on how much to share online about our recent move. This seals the deal. Especially since I’m a single mom now, I think privacy has to take precedence over people’s (kind and concerned) curiosity.

Aimee     at 11:02 am

I would hate for you to stop blogging– I have been reading since you were wedding planning, and I’ve enjoyed seeing how this space and your life have developed across the years.
I wonder if a return to more of the food-focused blogging of yesteryear wouldn’t make more sense than going totally private. Your header suggests the blog is “a resource for healthy recipes, cooking tips, and inspiration for active living,” but lately you have been SO family focused. I get that priorities and foci change, but you have Babble, Twitter, Instagram etc to share ‘snippets’ of your family life– maybe having less space (in terms of word count etc.) would help limit some of the markers that can breach privacy.
For ex, here on the blog you list that you’ve closed this past week, are walkable to Discovery park, that your house is a farmhouse-style… it doesn’t take long for a curious person to do a little Googling on Zillow, you know? And that curiosity may (and most likely often isn’t!) not be malicious, but if you’re worried about inviting privacy invasion through what you share, you might consider being even MORE guarded about specific place-markers of your new neighborhood.
Anyway, I’ve written quite the novel of a comment but I just wanted to encourage you to assess your options moving forward and to consider staying on DG in some capacity– you have a great ‘voice’ and I’d definitely miss it in my reader!

Amy Reply:

I agree with the above! I would hate to see you stop blogging entirely because you’re a wonderful writer with a lot to share, but I too would be really uncomfortable sharing that much of my family life online (it’s one of the reasons I’ve opted to phase out blogging myself, actually). I think with so many options as far as social media goes it would be easy to contain the family stuff to, like, twitter and babble and Instagram and keep the blog more focused on what you want it to be, without compromising the privacy of your family.

Anyway, your new house looks lovely and it must feel so nice to be settled and “home”. Enjoy planning your garden!

Sorry if I caused some drama — didn’t mean to imply I am on the verge of quitting. But there are definitely some issues and pros and cons that need to continue to be evaluated. Thanks Amy!

Can’t believe you’ve been reading that long! THANK you! I’m definitely hoping to get back to more food talk. It’s been a difficult couple of months for us, and a year of lots of change and growth in general. While I talked about it here or not, I think it’s probably reflected in my writing and what I have put forward here. Not planning to stop any time soon necessarily. Just concerns that my whole family needs to consider. Thanks again for reading for so long!

Joann     at 11:37 am

Hi Emily,
I found your blog through a friend back in January when I found out my husband and I were relocating from San Diego to Seattle this summer. I enjoy your writing style and love learning more about our new city from a family perspective. We just had our second boy in September and I hope your boys bring you as many smiles and laughs as our’s do! I bet Cullen will be thrilled to meet his little brother! Check out the book One Special Day about becoming a big brother. Super cute with beautiful illustrations.
Best,
Joann

Yay for two boys! I will definitely check out that book. :)

Megan (The Lyons' Share)     at 12:14 pm

You are such a wonder woman! That seems like a ton of amazing accomplishments in such a short time. CONGRATULATIONS on everything you have going on right now!

Marie     at 3:33 pm

Just another reader who would enjoy more recipes. All the recipes I’ve tried have been spot on, even the simple ones. Ume plum vinegar on portabellas was such an eye opener I encouraged everyone to buy some.

I enjoy reading about your family life but would also enjoy more cooking on the blog. :-)

I have a delicious soup recipe ready to post this week, as soon as I unpack the notebook I wrote it in! Thinking that our new kitchen and new happier home will help make this space more well rounded in general. :) And YES to ume plum vinegar — life changing!!

Hayley Reply:

I know some people have suggested keeping personal family life posts to tweets and Facebook, etc. and of course you should move forward with whatever you feel comfortable with. My two cents – I don’t partake in any other social media sites and as I will be a new mother (due in November) I really enjoy reading about your family life and of course pregnancy posts! You truly have an amazing voice and your posts feel homey (hope that’s not creepy). I have even gotten teary-eyed reading your letters to Cullen (before the pregnancy hormones kicked in!).
There are many other recipe and family blogs out there and I started reading yours for recipes and fitness, but as our lives change over the years so does the focus and I really look forward to reading about your life experiences.

char eats greens     at 5:52 pm

I totally respect that you’re not giving a tour of your home – kids safety DOES come first :)!!! Either way, congrats on the move and thank goodness for that mom of yours being there!!!

Gabrielle     at 8:18 pm

The new place looks great, and I love those floors! In reading the comments about what happened to you, well, it changes the tone a bit. It sucks that you have gone through this, but it is always a possibility when you blog so personally. It went a bit farther for another blogger I used to follow, a woman living in the country, in Wyoming I think. She had a stalker actually drive out to her ranch and pull a gun on her. Anything can happen, and I’m sure you’re prepared, and even if you didn’t blog you might encounter one nutjob or another in your life. That said, I hope you keep on blogging just as you’ve been!

Food and recipes when your appetite is good, and you’re in the mood, family photos when you take a trip, walks and runs with the dogs and the stroller(s). You can’t live in fear, just be cautious. You’re smart, you’ll figure it out. We love your blog, Emily, and we all wish you the best.

That is terrifying!! Thanks, Gabrielle. :)

Brittany Long     at 8:42 pm

Hi Emily!

Like many readers, it really saddens me that your privacy was violated. I enjoy your blog so much and its horrible someone would take something good and turn it into bad…

On another note (and not to sound like a creeper!) Last time you moved, I remember you renting reusable boxes – but didn’t see them this time. I’m moving soon and was considering renting reusable boxes (in San Diego). Is there a particular reason you didn’t do it this time around?

We looked into getting them again, as we really liked the service. But it turned out to be much more expensive than I could justify as a moving cost. Last time I had a Living Social deal, and this time would have been over $200 just for boxes. We ended up using cardboard and then giving them to friends who are moving next weekend. So I at least feel good that they are being reused!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 7:00 am

I love that last picture of you and Cullen! SO cute! I’m glad your move went well. I’m moving in a month and a half and I really have to start packing!

Good luck with your move!

JessiRene     at 8:18 am

I’m glad to hear your move went smoothly, especially with Ye little one close by. Enjoy settling into your new home! I love figuring out new layouts for my furniture and deciding where to put pictures. A new home is like a new adventure.
Sorry to hear you had creepers invade your privacy! That is a major fear of mine. You can find anything on the Internet, and there are some not so good people out there. It is better to be safe than sorry.

JessiRene*
HartkopBaby.BlogSpot.com

Rachel wardell     at 12:51 pm

I would be SO sad to see you stop blogging! Please stay! I’ve been reading for years and you are always one of my daily blog reads. I’m sorry to hear you’ve had such an invasion of your privacy, but I hope you can find a way to keep blogging. You have readers all over it seems, I’m from the UK. X x

I feel like my comments have turned this into a whole other post, haha! Not quitting today, or tomorrow. :) Just commenting that the privacy issues weigh heavily on my mind, and it’s something my whole family is taking seriously. :)

Amanda     at 1:26 pm

Glad the move went well! Hope y’all get some rest this week!

Totally get the privacy thing, would hate to see you go, but understand the notion behind it. Thanks for sharing all you do!

Kristi     at 3:19 pm

Congrats on your new home. Though I’d love to see how great it is, I complately understand your need for privacy!

Lesley T.     at 7:38 pm

I’m sorry, Emily, I really do enjoy your blog and have been an avid reader for nearly two years, but I don’t understand why you decided to include this bit: “This is also really important because Casey travels for work quite a bit, leaving me here on my own with kiddos (creepers beware – I am ready for you!).”

I don’t think it’s wise to share that you’re frequently alone while you’re pregnant and caring for a small child. Announcing such a thing to the Internet is unnecessary and would make me feel more vulnerable than anything, so I truly don’t understand your perspective here.

Anyway, take care and enjoy your new home!

Lynne in NC     at 3:27 am

Thank you for the updates on your move. Yes! having someone to watch the kiddos is essential in a move. Your mom is a gem.
I appreciate your postings and enjoy getting to ‘know’ you. Your postings are engaging as well as informative. I totally understand the need for more privacy. Well done.
Once a week I make the 20 minute four bean chili for our lunches. So I really enjoy the food postings.
Congratulations on another boy and may this pregnancy be easier as you progress over the next trimester.
All the best!

Katharine     at 4:54 am

Congrats again! How wonderful it must be to finally feel like you’re home :)

Elizabeth @ Positive Changes     at 5:25 am

Congratulations on the new house of your dreams! It sounds like you are guys are very happy!! Good luck with unpacking!!

Hope     at 6:47 am

I cannot believe that a reader toured your house just to get an inside look. That is beyond creepy!!

I absolutely love reading about your life and Cullen because my son is just a month younger than Cullen. It’s cool to see how they compare. I totally get why you’d need to pull back a bit though.

Debbi     at 6:59 am

So glad you are settled and exploring your new neighborhood. Safety is always important with all the nuts in our world today. Share what you feel comfortable with. You and your family need your personel space. Never feel bad with what you share with us.

Jill     at 8:23 am

Emily –
I typically do not comment but I enjoy your blog and your adventures with your growing family. Frankly I am grateful you are not sharing as much concerning your new digs. I am a prosecutor and worry about your safety. Being a blogger does not mean you have to compromise your safety. While I love older homes -I live in one – I applaud your decision to keep it private.

Jill

Margaret Reply:

I just wanted to say hi to a fellow prosecutor.

Its funny I also almost never comment, even though I have read this blog since it was The Front Burner, and this post also got me to comment up above on a different issue. Personal safety: an issue near and dear to prosecutors.

Jill Reply:

Margaret- Nice to hear from you. I often quiet my prosecutor voice – my husband thinks I am a bit of a mother hen.It is nice to recieve affirmation from a fellow prosecutor.

Christina     at 8:53 am

“To keep it brief, we suffered some pretty major privacy invasions during our last home purchase and sale, and I’d like to minimize the risk of that happening again.”

That is absolutely horrifying. I am sorry you experienced what you did, and I don’t blame you at all for wanting to protect your privacy. I used to blog on another site, and did not realize that when iphones came out it was posting my almost exact address in the tag line of each post! I was freaked out when someone I had never had a conversation with mentioned that he had driven through my neighborhood out of “curiosity” when he was in my city. Which also happened to be when my fiancee was out of the country on a guy’s surf trip. Creepy much?

I read above about what you experienced. You are right, that does take a special kind of asshole. Doing something like that would never have even crossed my mind in a million years.

Emily C.     at 11:33 am

I’m happy that your move went so smoothly and that you were able to end up in just the right spot for your family.

I understand your privacy concerns and just wanted to add another voice that as you’re making decisions about what’s best for your family, please consider giving readers a heads-up if you’re ever going to stop. I’ve found lots of must-make and favorite recipes but haven’t saved everything yet!

Theresa     at 4:24 pm

Congratulations on your new home! I’m so sorry that you’ve had privacy issues, makes me sick to be reminded that there are so many creepers out there. Good for you for doing what you feel is best for your family.

I was reading the comments and read the one about the electric coil top stove and it reminded me of your “Front Burner” blog design :) I can’t believe how long ago that was, and how long I’ve been reading. Love your blog and congrats again on finding your dream home!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 4:49 am

That’s terrible about your invasion of privacy! Hope your new home is free of that. Congrats on the beautiful new residence! We recently found out we may be moving sooner than we though. Big things on the horizon, so fun :D

linda     at 7:27 pm

Please,please do not stop blogging. Don’t let a small minority affect what your heart wants to do. You have a gift. You are an incredible writer. I enjoy your blog so much.

Liz     at 1:33 pm

I think the picture of your pups on the bed is hilarious! They do look rather annoyed but I’m sure they are doing just fine now. Dogs are just little people. Congrats on the move and baby #2! Hoping you’re settling in well and taking a minute or two to relax…for YOU! :)

alex     at 9:41 pm

I hope you enjoy your new neighborhood! It is so beautiful out there! In reading previous comments, I can say that when I ran into you at American Apparel you were very nice to me and I was so happy I said hello to you! We’re getting ready for a move from the city to the eastside (we’ll see how it works for us). Our little one will only be 13 months, but I am already dreading it…lots of help will be needed with her!

best bluetooth headphones     at 4:50 am

Amazing blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost
on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free
platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There
are so many choices out there that I’m completely overwhelmed
.. Any suggestions? Thanks!

social media marketing for Hotels     at 3:08 am

This is certainly the first and most important step; you need to open accounts on almost all popular platforms.
You will be the one managing all of these so that they
can focus on running their business. You should actually
concentrate more on catering to them and getting with the holiday spirit.
Used properly, it can help you reach out to a customer base you probably
didn’t even know existed. Now, the readers may arise with a question that how to buy facebook likes.
As you read in the beginning of this article, it is important to develop a social media strategy so that you can get more customers.
Only the social media websites can help the search engines get real reviews from
millions of people around the world. Social media marketing, a necessity for many companies is often now a
major focus of a business marketing strategy. Their analysts then read and view content
that is flagged. They have a group of internet analytics, web promoters and link builders that have used time
proven methods to top search engine forums and even local search
options.

dolphin dock nj     at 1:20 pm

Ocean cruising people have learned how to manage their lives,
including relationships and money, because they must.

For holes, you cover the area with the wallboard tape and then spackle to make the tape stick.
A bigger fridge costs more to run, especially if it’s mostly empty (as more cold air escapes
when you open it) so if you live alone, a fridge
which is only a quarter full is costing you too much money to run.

seafrost Marine refrigeration reviews     at 6:01 pm

She has a charm that is slightly reminiscent of the childhood favourite Rosie and Jim’s Ragdoll, with a modernized interior to suit the 21st century traveller.
Leave your windows open a few hours a day and
then you get to clean the black soot off of the floors.
But have you ever thought about living in your boat
full time.

annuity due calculator     at 10:54 pm

Apartment buildings investing is a sound and secure option. As a new investor, there are some
real estate buying guides that could help set
you on the right path on the way to success in the real estate business.
Donald Trump may be considered one of the more savvy
and successful real estate investors in the world.

dunnage boards     at 8:19 pm

Your syndicate agreement does not have to be a complex document.

At times, your sailing instructor may need to issue an order and have it followed
immediately. You can then take your armored vehicle and cash
it in at a chop shop, creating a nice little criminal spree combo.

hcg weight loss nyc     at 1:50 am

It is very common to experience 2 or 3 pounds of weight
loss after the first day. These supplements, accompanied by some determination and discipline, will truly make the difference in your life
that you are looking to gain. The HCG diet is supposed to be
a solution to permanent weight loss where it does not come back given reasonable diet and exercise.

Boca Raton CPA jobs     at 6:39 pm

Take for instance a company that for the current
period has more outstanding payables than they do receivables.

If you have received IRS tax notice, you need not to be panic.
Itemized deductions and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

plus size red bodycon dress     at 11:55 pm

In the past A-list celebrities like Courtney Cox,
Jennifer Anniston, Eva Longoria, Andi Mc – Dowell, Liz Hurley and even Katherine Hepburn have all had their images and persona associated with an international
skin care brand – with big bucks in advertising it. This means your purse
should match your briefcase if you need to use both of them on the same occasion. It should not be a surprise that if some is
more than interested in going for online shopping besides looking forward to gain the upper limit benefit by buying unique clothes,
then it needs less mention that the is the thing that can help you
realize the dream of buying clothes.

r.h.i.n.o.c.e.ros.x.c.p.d@xl-eggings.com     at 9:37 pm

This type of product demos or any tablets of the computer technology Selfe 71.
If you say Yes, this thing where you are expected to purchase.
Each screen has tablets no infection because they only sell
items on-line. Now, stop use and they are becoming the norm in terms of market share fell from 87% to less than the PowerShot, you’re introduced to young and older.

http://www.reazie.com/solid-advice-about-your-special-nine-months     at 11:16 am

For example, you want to be ovulating for how to conceive a girl the ‘Y’ chromosomes to die
off. So let’s use this method, they are trying to conceive a girl.
Ideally, these three how to conceive a girl things you can combine douching with specific solutions.

Www.learningguide.biz     at 12:26 am

When you choose to the oil pulling manufacturer’s label; some of the leading pediatric, orthodontists and still
eat healthily! It can be obtained through other procedures that can totally ruin your
smile.

deck plans with roof     at 6:32 pm

The anglers will have better luck hooking them if they
go fishing after hours. Our day always started by walking a mile to the fitness trail for an early morning jog.
The articles and segments written on its pages are written by
fishing aficionados and specialists themselves.

long lasting self tan     at 4:52 pm

Light Silk Spray to aid in brushing and easy removal of any tangles.
Often the cancer can be removed from the skin, but 2,000 people still die annually, according to the
American Cancer Society. IMPORTANT: Make sure you are purchasing UV protective clothing that is put together and manufactured with strict AAD guidelines, you don.