Seattle Sunshine.

What an awesome weekend!  We are having crazy, unseasonably fabulous weather here in Seattle – temps in the 80’s all weekend long.  Even crazier since I think others are having unseasonably cold temps?  I have given up guessing what the weather is going to do here, and I’m just enjoying the sunshine as it comes!

Friday afternoon was nap-less as usual, but Cullen had some down time in the crib while I worked outside for about an hour.  Can’t believe it’s finally nice enough for a patio workstation!

Once Mr. No Nap was finished reading himself books, he joined me in the backyard for an afternoon snack and play date.

Since summer has arrived a bit early this year, we don’t really have any fun backyard entertainment yet.  So I got creative and rigged up a homemade water table out of his old infant bathtub.  He splashed and played for almost three hours until dad came home and we dragged him inside for dinner.

It was most definitely a big hit.

We also tested out his new super cool toddler sunglasses.  I figured there was no way he’d keep them on, but it turns out he loves them.  They had me laughing all weekend long.  He is a hoot.

Saturday brought all sorts of excitement.  We were up early to head into Seattle to meet someone to measure carpet for OUR NEW HOUSE.  That’s right – we’re moving…again.  Yep, we are insane.  We are also ridiculously excited, and sort of in shock that this really long crazy story of home buying/selling actually worked out, and we’ll be in our new space in just a few short weeks!  More details to come eventually.  For now, here’s Cullen enjoying what will be his new (fabulous!) backyard.

We left the new place on cloud nine, finally seeing it all ready to go for it’s new owners (US!!!).  From there we decided to spend some time in what will be our new ‘hood, and headed over to Discovery Park for a family hike.

Discovery is the biggest park in Seattle, and provides some of the most gorgeous scenery and views you can find in this area.  We stood at the top of the lookout in total awe of how gorgeous the Sound looked sparkling under the sun.

Pretty excited to have this so close to us this summer (and beyond!).  Feels like a dream come true!

Also, I am looking massively pregnant.  I woke up the day I hit 16 weeks, and my stomach had doubled (tripled?) in size.  I’ll do an update here soon, but someone is most definitely growing in there!  I was feeling it too as we hiked up and down.  I don’t have the stamina that I used to!

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.  I can’t handle it.

We worked up an appetite on our hike, and headed to Homegrown in Queen Anne for lunch afterward.  Cullen was very excited to be getting his very own sandwich.

Marinated portabella, avocado, arugula, pickled red onion, and homemade pesto on whole grain for mama.  My favorite sandwich there by far.

Kid’s peanut butter and homemade jam for Cullen, served with an organic orange.

A big bowl of vegan Thai curry soup for all three of us to share (Cullen loved it!)…

And a very hungry family to eat it all.  Yum!

We headed home for Cullen’s (theoretical) nap, and some downtime at the house.  I watched the Derby and ended up falling asleep for about an hour.  It was nice and lazy, just as Saturday afternoon should be.  In the evening, we ventured out to Downtown Kirkland in search of an early dinner.  We scored a patio table at a Thai place, which felt like winning the lottery on such a busy night.

I don’t remember exactly what this was, but it was incredibly delicious.  Crispy egg noodles, tofu, and veggie with some sort of fabulous sauce.  All plates were cleaned.

Finished off our evening with a few scoops of gelato.  It felt like the first day of summer – people, dogs, and families out everywhere enjoying our beautiful city.

Sunday morning came painfully early, as Casey left at 5am to head to the airport.  He is in Toronto for a few days for work, leaving me and C to entertain ourselves.  I’m used to him traveling quite a bit, but not usually over weekends.  It felt really strange to be on my own on a Sunday!  I couldn’t get back to sleep after he left, so I went downstairs to enjoy some coffee and make pancakes for me and my little man.

Just because dad isn’t here, that is not going to stop us from pancake Sunday.  These were some of the best yet!  Definitely bookmarking the recipe for next week.

Sunday was hot, hot, HOT.  I knew all the beaches and parks would be insanely crowded since this is our first really warm weekend.  So Cullen and I headed to Kelsey Creek Farm – a really cute little petting zoo, farm, and playground area in Bellevue.

Mr. Cool loved the goats and chickens!

He also loved the big sandbox!

I will certainly never complain about too much sun or heat here, but it was so warm I worried about keeping him out too long.  Despite a full coating of sunscreen, my little fair-skinned boy was looking pretty pink by the time we hit the playground.

We stayed for a few hours and then headed home to relax, nap, and splash some more in the backyard.

We missed Casey, but having such great weather definitely helped move our day along.  Today was in the 80’s again, and it’s supposed to be really nice all week.  We are actually heading to Ohio and Indiana later in the week to see my baby sister graduate from college!  Hard to believe.

More to come!

Sarah     at 4:37 pm

Casey arrived in Toronto the day of the Toronto Marathon! It’s hot here also, I hope he enjoys Toronto.

Sara     at 4:38 pm

This weather is seriously insane! We’re not prepared at all! We don’t have any shorts for our daughter and the majority of her shirts are still long sleeved. We also need some fun backyard entertainment. Looks like shopping time!

Same here! We don’t have the right clothes for this weather at all!

Sara Reply:

We totally went to Target and got her some ADORABLE stuff. I almost died yesterday seeing her in her little jean shorts. Haha! And she’s in 2T now so they have REAL pockets. She is very impressed with that. Hehe.

Katie D.     at 4:46 pm

I just got back from my first trip to Seattle! We went to the space needle, ferry to Bremerton (?), a park in Queen Anne, Gas Works Park, Pike Place Market, the troll (in Fremont, maybe?) and bunch of other places. My friend works for Wave Broadband and knows the city really well.

It was BEAUTIFUL weather and city was incredible. I just LOVED it and will be back again!

Perfect weekend to visit! Sounds like you went to a bunch of great spots! The Fremont troll is just a few blocks from our old place. :)

Beth     at 4:48 pm

Great weekend recap! We will be at Purdue this weekend celebrating my little brother’s graduation. Have a great time with family!

Carly @ Snack Therapy     at 4:50 pm

Cullen is such a cool dude with his backwards hat and sweet shades. He’s definitely going to keep the new babe up on the trends ;).

Lee     at 4:51 pm

It hasn’t gotten out of the 50s here in Atlanta if you can believe it! Secondly, Cullen’s sunglasses are so cute!

Meri     at 4:52 pm

Sounds like our weather got switched! In GA it is chilly and rainy and has been for about a week straight, which is really weird for us, especially this time of the year! Glad you guys enjoyed it. The pictures are gorgeous!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 5:08 pm

I know you mentioned a possible move a while ago so I’m happy that you found a new home! Those views look AMAZING…like Hawaii or somewhere tropical! I’m happy that you got some sunshine too. On May 1 we had snow here in Colorado and I nearly cried. Safe travels to see your sis graduate!

Ashley     at 5:11 pm

Two questions… What is the name of Cullen’s sippy cup? And what kind of hiking pack is that? Thanks!

That’s a thermos foogo bottle, and we have an Osprey hiking backpack!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 5:24 pm

I was wondering if you were going to be moving again when you mentioned house hunting a few weeks (months?) ago. Congratulations!! Hopefully you can get all moved in and settled well before little one #2 arrives!

You’re right, I saw the pic of you in the green striped dress and couldn’t believe how much the baby has grown. Definitely going through a growth spurt right now!! :)

Veganlily     at 5:34 pm

SO happy for you about the move – I’ve been hoping to read this news for some time!!

Thank you!

Jenn     at 5:40 pm

I love all your pictures…and always enjoy reading your weekend recaps! I have a little guy about to turn one and I think he’s Cullen’s kindred spirit…I have read EVERY post about Cullen and they are soo much a like it’s crazy!

Random Q…what brand sunscreen do you use on him?

-Jenn

We use California Baby!

Tara     at 5:42 pm

Cullen is too cute in his little glasses! Looking so much like a big kid.

Tanya @ Vegan Faith     at 5:51 pm

Emily, you look beautiful! Glowing! I can’t wait to hear about your house adventures…and I’m so jealous of that gorgeous park! Someday I hope to make it out to Seattle and see that beautiful city…Charlotte is much too far away!

Colleen     at 5:57 pm

Congrats on the new house! I hope it’s closer to Casey’s work so his commute is less. We aren’t moving for another couple of years, but I need something new now. So we are painting and planting new plants. I

Ugh, it’s so unseasonably warm in the NW! I’m not used to being a giant sweat puddle this early.

Caitlin     at 6:22 pm

My family lives in Magnolia – I grew up there, and you couldn’t have picked a better neighborhood! I miss it daily and can’t wait to come home every summer. The loop trail in Discovery Park is one of my favorite places in the world.

Happy to hear it! We’re really excited!

Marie     at 6:38 pm

Wow, you guys really packed the weekend with activities! You look gorgeous! Cullen is such a cutie!

What type of water bottle is he using in the last pic (in the stroller)?

It’s a Thermos Foogo bottle.

Angie     at 6:42 pm

That looks like a great weekend! We were stuck inside because of the fires in SoCal. Luckily it’s better now. Love the sunglasses on Cullen! The ones I picked up our little boy still don’t fit but thankfully he loves wearing hats. We got a little hiking hat like his mom and dad and he loves it!

Meagan     at 6:45 pm

Congratulations Emily! I was wondering when you were going to announce the move! Are you excited about decorating a new house? (Again?)

Kerry     at 6:57 pm

Congrats on moving back to the city. Magnolia is magnificent! Oh, Kelsey Creek Farm; I spent gazzillions of days there as a child. I grew up right down the street. I had nearly forgotten about that magical farm, so thank for reminding me of such special memories! Good luck with your move and soak up every bit of sun this week. :)

Such a cute place!

Andrea     at 7:25 pm

Oh Geesh- the sunglasses… Mr. Cool indeed!
Yes, this weather is something else! It’s so hot… my friends and family back in MO tease me horribly about me whining about the “hot” weather. Oddly- they got SNOW last week- THAT is weird stuff.Getting snow the 2nd of May… geesh.
Congrats on the move, we are meeting with our realtor very soon- to get our ball rolling on selling.

Christina     at 8:29 pm

It was so COLD and RAINY here in the south. :( It was in the mid-fifties; temps we never see this time of year! So jealous of y’alls beautiful weather!

Also, I LOVE his little sunglasses! :)

Allie@LiveLaughEat     at 8:36 pm

Oh Emily. You don’t always move, but when you do you make sure you’re pregnant!!!! :)

Is it me or does Cullen suddenly look super grown up?!

I was almost exactly this many weeks pregnant when we moved to DC. Totally nuts! And yes, Cullen is huge. Sigh.

M     at 8:56 pm

I love Martha’s pancake recipe it’s super easy…I haven’t purchased a box in years…I always have the ingredients on hand.

Soooo delicious!!

Elisabeth     at 10:44 pm

Wow to a new house already – you must love moving…ha ha! Congratulations! I’m guessing this will be a shorter commute, which will be wonderful for all of you. Can’t wait to read more about the new place.

I don’t love moving, but I’m willing to do it if it is the right change for the family! This will be a MUCH shorter commute. We can’t wait!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 12:21 am

Such gorgeous pics; love his sunglasses!!! The perfect family weekend, even if you only got one day as a whole. We got a bit of unexpected sunshine here ourselves! :)

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 4:13 am

Those sunglasses are adorable!

Elise @ Expeditions of Elise     at 4:54 am

Ok Cullen in that backwards hat is basically the cutest thing ever. He is an adorable little guy…and so happy! I love your weekend posts. They make me anxious to move to Seattle some day. It is my dream city!

Emily     at 5:40 am

Congratulations on the new house – the views from the park are beautiful.
Looking forward to your pregnancy update!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 5:40 am

Cullen in those sunglasses… omg I die! He’s so dang cute :)

elizabeth     at 5:46 am

Congrats on the new house. And I can’t get over Cullen in the those sunglasses… too cute!
p.s. I’ve always enjoyed reading your blog!

Thanks Elizabeth!

Erin Hack     at 6:16 am

I think the city of Seattle should hire you as an ambassador. Whenever I see all of the fabulous pictures that you post I want to drop everything and move to Seattle! Congratulations on the new house. :)

Haha!

April     at 6:19 am

oooooh, a new house, a bump, and Cullen’s cute sun glasses, love this post:) Congrats on the house, can’t wait to hear the deets!
BTW, can you share where you got his shades? I would love to get a pair for my little dude (although i am sure he won’t wear them:=

They are from Carter’s! Only $6!

Leah     at 6:33 am

Beautiful pics!

Also, it would have been really easy to skip my barre class tonight (leaving for Philly in the morning for a work trip). But I thought to myself: “Gotta go…Emily would still go.” Ha!

Aww yay! Hope it was a good class!

Leah Reply:

Thanks, Emily! It will be. I just e-mailed my teacher to let her know I was ACTUALLY making it to class. I’ve been missing it in recent weeks due to work travel. I’m so nervous to dive back in and work those neglected muscle groups.

Katie D.     at 7:05 am

Have you guys been to the Museum of Flight? It is really cool, might be a little old for Cullen, but there is a kid’s area and you can tour planes in the Aero Park and climb into a couple cockpits.

Also, have you been to Alki? We went on Sunday and it a really cool neighborhood, with a legit beach area.

We haven’t done the Museum of Flight yet, but it’s on our list!! It’s just a bit farther out than we usually go, but I’m hopping we make it there soon. We did Alki last summer, and I’m actually running a 5k there in a few weeks. GORGEOUS beach!

Katie R @ RealDailyLife     at 7:06 am

So glad to hear the weather is fabulous there. I am hoping it keeps up for another 3 weeks at least! So excited to be visiting Seattle at the end of the month! Those views from Discovery are amazing!

Welcome to Seattle! Hope you have a great visit!

Leanne     at 8:42 am

It looking beautiful on the east coast this past week and coming up week too. Are you still going to live in Seattle?

Yes, just a different area.

Katie     at 9:33 am

Thanks for sharing your pretty pictures so I can live vicariously through you in Seattle! I’ve been applying to jobs in Seattle for MONTHS, but haven’t heard anything back with a MA zip code. I would love to live there. I’ve started to put a Cali zip on my resume now hoping that will help.

I hope something works out for you soon! It’s a fun place to live.

Cara     at 9:35 am

A new house? Didn’t you guys just buy a new house? Wow, must be nice.

It is nice! Thanks for the well wishes! :)

Courtney     at 10:11 am

Congrats on the house!! Can’t wait to hear all about it! And I must say, I love reading your weekend updates!!

Thanks Courtney!

Marie     at 10:36 am

Congrats on the new house! That is a very fun weekend! Can’t wait to hear more.

Ella     at 10:45 am

I can’t believe you guys are still eating out so much given Cullen’s age. It is nearly impossible with my 15 month old! One of us is always outside walking around with him while the other one eats alone. Not exactly fun. Do you have any tips?

We have definitely had our moments, trust me. We went through a phase of leaving restaurants too. I think because we do it a lot on weekends, maybe he’s used to it? I’m always armed with a lot of snacks to hopefully keep him happy. His big entertainment these days is getting his own big boy cup to drink out of!

Kelly     at 10:52 am

Love those sunglasses!!! Reading this post at work brightens my day! Thank you for sharing!

Chase     at 11:26 am

Moving again! Oh my word. Please tell me that you hired movers?? Look forward to hearing more about the story!

Ohhh yes!

Emily     at 11:33 am

Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! What an amazing view/neighborhood for your new house. Can’t wait to hear more about it!

Erin     at 12:46 pm

I’m glad that were not the only ones crazy enough to be moving again–we moved when I was 20 weeks preggos with G, cross country move with an 8 month old and about to move again (I swear for the last time) now that she’s 16 months. Good luck!!

I know everyone thinks we are insane. :) But I swear this is our last time too! At least for a few years, haha.

Lindsey     at 12:50 pm

Wow you guys are moving! I worked downtown when we used to live in Queen Anne. Then we moved to Bellevue and after 7 months of that commute I had to quit my job… It took me way over an hour each way and it was seriously affecting my quality of life. So I understand you guys wanting to be back in the city! Magnolia is beautiful, and I absolutely loved living so close to Discovery Park. Sad you are no longer on the eastside though!

Yep, same story here. Commute was ruining Casey’s life, and quitting his job is not an option. So moving it is! But this is what we wanted from the very beginning, so it’s all working out – just a year later than expected. :)

Katka     at 1:19 pm

Hi Emily and everyone else.
It is totally out of today’s topic, but I wanted to share something.
Maybe you know coursera.org – website which provides online free courses. This week the Stanford university course called “child nutrition and cooking” started and it is really fun and informative course and I think you may like it :)

Here is the link

Have a nice day.
Katka

Susan     at 2:47 pm

Hey, now that you’re over on this side of the lake, you can take the free Barre3 classes they’re offering during the first week of the Roosevelt studio! I’m definitely trying it out given your rave review.

Katie Reply:

Wait – first week classes are free?! Dying to try those out!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 4:20 pm

Those sunglasses are too cute for words!! I love them. The view from the park is absolutely breath taking. Mountains and the ocean…. what more can you ask for??

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 6:05 pm

Cullen is so adorable! I’m so excited for you guys with your new house! I would miss your old kitchen though, every time you post photos I fall in love with it even more. haha

Jen     at 6:52 pm

I’m jealous of all of the great eats you have in Seattle – everything looks mouth watering! Enjoy your trip home and good luck with your move and new house!

Jess     at 7:27 pm

Did you tell us about Cullen’s new stroller yet? I might have missed it. Which one did you get? My almost 13 month old is a complete stroller refuser at this point! If you found a solution, please share!!

Also, congrats on the new house. I cannot wait to hear all about it!!!

Nancy     at 5:44 am

Congrats! We live in the city and always wonder how folks handle a commute. Can’t wait to see your new place and your growing family! And yes Seattle sunshine ROCKS!

Cari     at 5:44 am

I’m so happy that I found your blog that I just had to comment {even though it’s not related to your post}.

I’m going to be reading through your archives in the next few days and you’ve inspired me and made me realize at almost 37, it’s not too late for me to get focused, fit and healthy. Thank you so, so, much.

Cari in New Hampshire

Beth     at 5:46 am

So exciting that you are moving where you want to be! Cant wait to hear more about it. Wasnt it just an amazing weekend here?! Hoping it sticks around for this weekend too!

Amy     at 7:40 am

Wow, love the outside work station. Wish it was hot enough to do this in the UK – yep I’m jealous :) Your little boy looks soooo cute too :)

Charli     at 9:10 am

Okay, the shades are cracking me up. He’s a funny guy.

Elise @ Expeditions of Elise     at 11:01 am

I can’t wait to hear all about your new house! I wait impatiently for your posts every week…always hungry for more Daily Garnish :)

Kristy     at 2:15 pm

Awesome idea with the tub. I gave ours away but I had a giant tupperware container to use. My guy loved it

Irene     at 11:03 am

Ahhh I can’t believe you were in my hood, Kirkland. I would be more excited to see you than a celebrity lol!

Storage Companies In Maryland     at 12:21 am

There are many offices of movers in the city
of Hyderabad helping people on their home shifting
and other kinds of relocation needs. In fact you may just
adore the procedure of moving. Average cost of home survey report is $530 (