2nd Pregnancy: Six Months Pregnant! (Weeks 21-24)

It feels like I just wrote one of these, but in looking back it was actually a month ago – where does the time go??  A lot sure has changed since my last update – we’re in a new house, and my belly is looking – um, enormous.  I left off last time at week 20 – halfway there – but forgot to take a picture during week 21.  Oops!  Second pregnancies are definitely a lot more laid back.

So we’ll move right along to week 22!

22 weeks collage

The belly is large and in charge now, and I’m in maternity clothes full time other than some button downs and cardigans that I can leave hanging open.  The most fun change as I’ve continued to get bigger is that I finally feel lots of big KICKS.  I forgot how much I loved that part of pregnancy.  Every night when we watch TV on the couch, I find myself completely distracted by the party going on in my stomach.  Casey and I went to a concert last night, and baby boy was going nuts!  Hopefully he will be born with an appreciation for my moody girl music.

Don’t mind my bleached out face above – weird evening lighting.  I think I’ve finally hit a pretty good second trimester groove.  No more sickness and my appetite seems to be relatively normal.  My energy levels still aren’t quite where I wish they were, but I think that probably has as much to do with just being a mom to an active toddler than anything else.

Two weeks ago I went to my first prenatal yoga class, which felt wonderful.  I really enjoyed my yoga classes last time, and I promised myself I’d start them earlier in my second pregnancy.  At my current stage and size, it’s mostly just for a good stretch and mental focus – which I desperately need.  With everything going on, I haven’t really spent time thinking about or focusing on this pregnancy the way I did last time.  Yoga gives me a chance to do just that, and it feels really special to connect with this new little guy.

22 weeks (428x640)

Here are last week’s photos – 23 weeks!  Definitely still a bit bigger than last time, but I know that’s to be expected the second time around.  I feel like my diet has been crap for weeks on end, and I finally feel like I’m cleaning it up and taking advantage of all the delicious summer produce rolling into the markets now.  We are eating big green salads with our dinners almost every night, and I’m trying to really watch my sugar and carb intake (which was previously out of control).

23 weeks collage

Now that my stomach is much more of a presence, I’m finding it harder to do things with Cullen, and it’s frustrating.  A few nights ago he had a really bad night of sleep (nightmares, maybe?) and I had to spend a few long stretches of time rocking him in the glider in the middle of the night.  All he wanted was comfort and cuddles, but every time he tried to lay directly across the front of me I’d start struggling to breathe.  When we rock at night or read books, I have to position him over on my side now.

I don’t know if it’s pregnancy or if I’m just getting lazy, but I also just find myself wanting to sit down a lot more than I used to.  When we go to the playgrounds, I’m the mom who is looking around for a bench to sit on while he plays.  I feel bad that I’m not as active and energetic as I used to be, but it is what it is.

I have no idea what on earth I wore during my last pregnancy, because I feel like I have so few maternity clothes!  Or maybe I just needed them earlier this time around?  I’m resisting the urge to invest in much more (feels silly the second time around), but I’m already growing tired of my one pair of jeans and rotation of five t-shirts.

As of yesterday, I am 24 weeks – SIX MONTHS! – pregnant.  I had a mini panic as I was driving to mom’s group yesterday, realizing that the weeks are flying by and I’ve done very little thinking about or preparing for this arrival.  Time to get serious!  I feel like this is the first comparison photo where you can really tell how much bigger I am the second time around.  Definitely looking a few weeks ahead of where I was last time.

24 week collage

With that said, this past weekend was the first time I actually sort of “forgot” I was pregnant, and felt like my normal self again.  I felt like that through so much of my first pregnancy, and it’s been a bit of a struggle to deal with so much sapped energy and physical fatigue this time around.  But as of now I’m feeling great and feel pretty much normal, despite the large reminder every time I glance down.

I went running twice in the past week – once with the jogging stroller and once without.  Both were difficult, and even somewhat painful.  I think my running days are probably numbered.  I promised myself I’d quit when it didn’t feel comfortable anymore, and I think that is likely approaching.  But I’m going to try a few more times and see how it goes before I switch to walking for good.  I’m also really enjoying yoga, and am heading back to Barre3 this weekend after a short hiatus!

Most exciting development this week is that we might have a name picked out!  We have one name in mind that we both really like and that we both agree feels like a good fit for this little guy.  But we’re still looking at lists and ideas in case anything else jumps out.

First (and last? haha) bump shot of this pregnancy.  The belly is big and so is the booty.  I’ve gained about 12 pounds so far – guessing that’s about normal, although I haven’t been to the doctor in a few weeks.

24 week belly collage

Most importantly, who’s belly is bigger?

I laughed when my mom came to help us move and started freaking out when she saw me lifting big boxes.  I had to remind her that my days of doing “no heavy lifting” are way over.  I haul this 28-pound sack of wiggly energy around all day!

Only a few weeks left in the second trimester, which is very hard to believe.  I hope that my increased energy and good spirits continue for this next stretch to the end!

Carley@OptimisticHealth     at 3:58 pm

You look beautiful!! It’s amazing how tummy gets bigger quicker the second time around!

Chasity Dix     at 4:11 pm

I was just thinking that it’s been a while since the last pregnancy update! I absolutely love them, probably because I’ve had baby fever for about five years now.

Verna     at 4:22 pm

You look great! I had a hard time with my 1st pregnancy, super sick and exhausted all the time. My 2nd was a girl, not as sick and not as tired. Number 3 is a boy also and I’ve been sicker longer and my body just doesn’t work the way it used to. I get soooo tired, soooo quickly. 3 more weeks left!

Lee     at 4:23 pm

You look great! And don’t feel bad about wanting to sit down. I’m sure chasing around a toddler while you are 6 months pregnant is rough!

What moody girl music did you see? I’m a big fan of moody music.

Katie     at 4:55 pm

I don’t know, I think Cullen might be giving you a run for your money with that adorable baby belly! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 5:19 pm

You are looking so great! And I think you’re too hard on yourself about not having as much energy as you did – you’re growing a human! That takes up so much of your energy. I have definitely hit my limit of living my life the way I was before I was pregnant in the last few weeks. I’m measuring around 32 weeks (I’m 26 on Saturday), and I’m reeeeally starting to get tired and uncomfortable. Except for lifting my little nieces up, I have been taking it super easy.

Amy     at 5:41 pm

I think you look exactly the same for both pregnancies- you look great! I’m just 2 weeks ahead of you and I’m jealous of you feeling semi-normal. :) Cullen is such a cutie!

Meagan     at 5:41 pm

This was so fun to read! I am so glad you’re doing well. Picking out a name must be soo exciting! Love your last shirt, the blue stripe one. So stylish :)

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 6:01 pm

Definitely think Cullen’s belly is bigger — maybe he’s having twins :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries     at 6:06 pm

You look so cute! I think I have those same maternity skinny jeans… Old Navy? I loved them and wore them ALL the time during my pregnancy.

Bailey     at 7:09 pm

I have to agree with some of the other commenters – I love your clothes! I have a hard time finding maternity clothes that are cute/flattering. I love the grey/black skirt and the light blue striped shirt. Care to share any hints on where you got them?? I can’t wait for this little guy to get here so we can find out the name!!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 7:39 pm

You look great!

Ellen     at 8:30 pm

Have seen an endocrinologist since you got pregnant? Thyroid medication very often needs to be increased when pregnant. That could be why you’re feeling more fatigued than your last pregnancy.

Jessica     at 9:47 pm

I can’t imagine my next baby bump being bigger than my current baby bump… My belly is sticking right out like I have a basketball or sometihng slightly larger under my shirt!

Glad your second pregnancy is going well!

JessiRene*
hartkopbaby.blogspot.com

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 10:34 pm

Such a cute ending photo! I think you’re looking fantastic. Don’t be hard on yourself energy wise, plenty of mums with a toddler that aren’t even pregnant are feeling the same and not getting in runs with strollers in between it all! Pat on the back! xx

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 3:29 am

You are so gorgeous Emily! Can’t wait to see your new baby boy :)

Emily @ Life on Food     at 3:31 am

Baby bellies are so cute.

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen     at 6:18 am

you look so great and happy!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 6:29 am

6 months?! Wow. I am in shock. Hahaha. I bet it’s just flying because Ada’s just about as active as Cullen and I have no idea how you’re doing it. <3

Rosie     at 6:32 am

Hey Emily!

You look just lovely and I have to say, I really enjoyed your post on the San Juan Islands! I’ve only been once as a girl and I’d absolutely love to go back.

Quick question and perhaps you’ve touched on this and I’ve just missed it, does Cullen understand there will be a new baby soon? Or how have you handled that with him? I have a younger brother by 3 years and I’ve been told when he was born I was very excited but I can imagine with Cullen being much younger he might not quite understand what’s going on? I’d be interested to hear how he is reacting to the news and/or how you’ve broached it with him.

Thanks as always for your great blog!

Betsy     at 6:54 am

I love reading your pregnancy updates and can’t wait to hear what name you have picked out!

Leah     at 8:20 am

Have a wonderful weekend, Emily.

All of the strawberries in MA just arrived! :)

Might have to eat a bushel…you know how it is.

Shannan     at 9:08 am

I love your comparison photos and reading about how you are doing! It’s exciting that you possibly have a name picked out! :) Hope you get some energy back!!

Tina     at 9:51 am

You look fantastic! I really love the black and grey outfit. That skirt is super cute! (Which coming from someone who owns maybe one dress – should mean something!)

Atsuko     at 11:02 am

You look super great! It was so enjoyable to read this post. I also agree with others that Cullen’s belly seems to be bigger than yours. Have a great weekend:)

Hilary @ PeanutButterSpoonfuls     at 11:22 am

You have to be the cutest pregnant lady ever. We need to see a shot of you and Cullen both posing with your bellies :)

Amanda     at 1:19 pm

You look great. I too love reading your updates so please keep them coming. Now that I’m expecting my first, I look forward to reading your weekly updates on the regular. Quick question – where is the maxi skirt from?

Beth     at 1:45 pm

You’re looking great! So fun to hear updates. Also loved seeing your weekend getaway.

Are your sandals comfy? Looking for a new pair.

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 4:24 pm

I think you look great! In fact, I think week 24 really agrees with you – you are looking the best you have the entire pregnancy (which is saying a lot because you always look wonderful).

Can’t believe how fast these next months will fly by and very exciting news that you may have found the name!!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More     at 4:27 pm

The week 23 pictures from this pregnancy to last really are crazy different, but you look great!

Suzanne     at 6:40 pm

You’re looking great Emily! Keep calm and mommy on :)

Kelly     at 8:19 am

You look SO great! :) I’m glad you are feeling okay at this point. I am wondering about your Barre classes. Do you have to make any major modifications during that? Did you in the first trimester? It seems like a possible good workout for pregnancy so I’m curious. Thanks!

ML Reply:

Yes! Wondering the same thing!

Natasha     at 9:10 am

I always love your shoes!
May I ask where these grey/brown scrappy ones are from?

Natasha     at 9:11 am

*strappy!

Katharine     at 10:04 am

You look wonderful! I love hearing the updates on how this pregnancy – and the experience of it – is different from the first.

Kristi     at 6:53 pm

You look adorable :)

Lindsay     at 1:03 am

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog while doing a search on Nutritional Yeast recipes – your “cheesy” bean dip sounds ah-mazing! Can’t wait to try it … Tomorrow :) I have to say I really am enjoying it your blog! I am also expecting #2 due in Jan. 2014. Thank you for the recommendations on strollers! I was looking at the britax b-ready and think it might be the “one” for us! I’m book marking your blog. Thanks for the great info! Cheers! Lindsay

Welcome! So glad you found it! :)

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » 2nd Pregnancy: Goodbye, Second Trimester (weeks 25-27).     at 2:44 pm

[...] we go again!  I left off at week 24, and things have continued to grow and change as the weeks have ticked past.   I forgot [...]

Surrogacy in India     at 12:04 am

Congratulations on your second pregnancy! You are looking so great! Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful post with us.May you have a healthy baby. I’ll keep reading your post in future…
Have a healthy and beautiful day.