Sunday.

We had a wonderful weekend here – enjoying our new space and taking advantage of finally living near all our favorite places again.  Sunday was just one of those amazing lazy, sunny Seattle days that I love so much.  But in order to tell you about Sunday, I guess I should back up quickly to Saturday night.

We had a really nice family picnic in a park with amazing views of the city skyline.  As we drove back down the hill toward our place, I saw this super dingy, dirty cozy coupe car sitting out on the sidewalk with a sign that said “free!”  Don’t mind if I do!

Casey jumped out to grab it and then turned around and said, “no way – this thing is disgusting.”  I told him to grab it anyway and that I was willing to hose it down and scrub it clean.  And in this moment I officially became my mother.

We took it home and when Casey rolled it up the driveway, Cullen freaked out with excitement.  At this point it was bedtime anyway, and there was so much mold in the seat there was no way I was letting him near it yet.  We dragged him past it promising it would be there in the morning, and he fell apart.  I carried him up to his bedroom while he shrieked “vroom vroom” between sobs.  It was simultaneously hilarious and heartbreaking.

Casey and I spent the next few hours out on the back deck – he played guitar and I attacked the car with the hose, cleaners, and a bunch of rags.  I wheeled it into the house to keep it clean until morning.  Sunday morning Cullen was up at the crack of dawn – 5:30am seems to be his new favorite wakeup time.  He bolted into the sunroom the minute his feet hit the first floor, and he immediately took his friends for a ride.

The car cleaned up pretty well, considering how nasty it was when we found it.  There are some remnants of old bumper stickers that I can’t get off, so I’m going to go get some stickers from a few of our favorite places here and personalize it for Cullen.  He would have been happy to spend all day going in and out of the car, and loading his animal friends in and out of the front and back seats.  So cute!

We had to pry him out of it and close it in another room just to get him to eat breakfast.

Family meals are some of my favorite things about our weekends.  We all shared a big breakfast of fresh scrambled eggs, blueberries, and leftover pancakes and waffles from the day before.  Delicious.

After breakfast we headed out for some family adventures.  We did a lot of house stuff on Saturday, so I wanted Sunday to be more fun and a bit more active.  We took Cullen to Greenlake and miraculously convinced him to sit in the stroller while we walked the three mile loop.  Reward was a stop at the playground at the end!

sunday1

Afterward, we hit the Fremont Market in search of food and furniture.  This particular market is much more of an arts and crafts market than produce and groceries, and in the summer it expands to almost double the size with arts and antiques vendors.  We have found a few great furniture pieces there in the past, and we were hopeful we might find a few things we need for the new house.

We’ve been on the hunt for an eat-in kitchen table for the past few weeks, and we found the perfect fit from one of our favorite vendors.  Such a great find!  We arranged for him to deliver it later in the day, and then celebrated on the canal steps with a delicious market lunch.

sunday2

Back at home, Cullen took his afternoon nap, and I enjoyed the sunshine and views from our balcony with one of my other boys.

sunday3

After a good nap, the car continued to provide all-day entertainment while I worked on dinner.

And dinner was ready just in time to enjoy it at our new table!  It works perfectly in the open space in our kitchen, and it makes such a difference to finally have a spot to sit in there.  Our house is really old, and a lot of the original character has been preserved and maintained, so we’d like to carry that through in our furnishings and decorations as much as possible.

I spent Cullen’s nap time paging through some recent food magazines, and felt inspired to make a really fresh, summery meal for dinner afterward.  I think I’m finally feeling some cooking motivation coming back, just in time for all this gorgeous summer produce.

Steamed red potatoes in a garlic lemon vinaigrette…

A big fresh salad of red leaf lettuce, cucumber, radish, tomatoes, chickpeas, and a homemade champagne vinegar dressing.  My favorite way to enhance the flavor of simple salads is a tiny pinch of salt!

And no summer meal is complete without corn on the cob.  I used coconut oil to flavor it this time, and it was out of this world.

A delicious way to end the weekend!

Hope everyone else had a great weekend too.  I’m hoping to get our planter boxes built this week so we can start a small veggie and herb garden before it gets too late!

Alisha @ gluten free perspective     at 4:32 pm

I love your idea of putting coconut oil on corn on the cob. Coconut oil has become my go to oil! I even use it to shave my legs haha. Anyway, I’ll definitely try it on my next batch of corn!

Meagan Reply:

Really? Shaving? That works?! Cool :)

Anon Reply:

It’s also a great lubricant. ;) Good as lotion & hair mask, too.

Jacquelyn @justjacq Reply:

I use it as a makeup remover!

Katoe     at 4:32 pm

Your dinner looks like a perfect summer meal! I am trying to make some new vinaigrettes. Would you mind sharing the ingredients you used?

Chris     at 4:46 pm

Eucalyptus oil! Try a few drops to get the old stickers off. It works on tape residue too. And safe during second and third trimesters :)

lisa fine     at 5:02 pm

We’re hoping to get more planting done soon too. It’s not too late! We have a few potted basil plants outside, but we want to do more tomatoes and herbs.

Love how much Cullen loves his new car. Too cute.

Margaret     at 5:07 pm

I have been following your blog for the past three years, give and take, and I honestly feel you are part of my cyber family….love the updates!!

Amy     at 5:20 pm

I love reading your posts so much. They bring joy into my day! The next time I make corn on the cob, I will try using some coconut oil.

Alissa     at 6:10 pm

I would totally do the same thing with the free car! Another person’s trash can usually be turned into another person’s treasure, and in this instance it’s Cullen’s!

JessiRene     at 6:11 pm

How fun! Children love those little cars. When I worked at a day care the toys that caused the most bickering amongst the little 2 year olds were the toys with wheels (the bikes and cars). Glad he is enjoying his new toy! What a score to find a free one!

Your summer dinner looks delicious.
JessiRene*

Iris     at 6:27 pm

Cullen is just too cute! And I definitely feel the same way after looking at food magazines – my fingers start itching to get in the kitchen!

Suzanne     at 6:48 pm

I had on of those cars as a kid; they were the best! Glad to see Cullen is cruising in style :)

Mmm I’ve never thought to put lemon on potatoes. I’ll give it a try!!

Laura     at 7:43 pm

Great find with the car and table! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful weekend :) To get old stickers off, try heating it with a blow dryer. They should peel right off when they’re hot – just be careful it doesn’t get so hot you burn yourself. Another trick is to use nail polish remover. It works like a charm, but test on an underside to make sure it doesn’t strip the color!

Emily Reply:

You can also use goo-gone spray to help with those stickers.

Molly Reply:

I second the Goo-Gone recommendation. It works like a charm!

Lisa     at 7:56 pm

The little car reminded me of this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/22/alexandria-sardinia-batmobile-daughter_n_2506638.html.

Though I could see this one working quite well as a rendition of the Scooby Doo bus or a fun character from Cars :).

kristen @ verbs and vignettes     at 8:17 pm

good job on the car fixer-upper! that vroom-vroom cry would have broke my heart and cracked me up, too.

and i can’t stop pining away for your weekend breakfasts. they look so simple and amazing.

Lauren @ The Highlands Life     at 9:07 pm

I loved my red car growing up. Those cars should be a staple in every family. Along with those big, green turtle sandboxes. Looks like you had a fantastic weekend.

Hannah     at 9:25 pm

It was great meeting you at the market on Sunday!! Your blog is one of the first I started reading 3 years ago (and has been a favorite), so I was super excited to actually meet you :) I loved visiting Seattle, and we used your Seattle “page” for restaurant suggestions too– Monkey Bridge was a definite favorite. And the table looks great!

Elna Clark     at 10:03 pm

Have you tried using wd40 to get the stickers off. Works really well with all I have tried. Great find! Love your blog!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 12:34 am

I had a red and yellow one of those cars, best childhood toy ever! :) Sounds like a great family weekend; coconut oil makes everything taste AMAZING!

Hilary @ PeanutButterSpoonfuls     at 4:42 am

I died laughing when I read “vroom vroom!” That is exactly what B’s reaction would have been, along with a full meltdown. Cullen is definitely going to be that kid in high school who gets his license first and has the fixed up old car to drive his friends everywhere.

Lauren     at 5:40 am

Hi Emily – I love following your blog and all the healthy things you eat! Do you have a recipe for your homemade champagne vinegar dressing? It sounds delicious. Thanks!

Abby Reply:

I second (or 3rd or 4th?) the request for the champagne vinegrette. And the lemon one, for that matter, too!

Hope Reply:

I would love the recipe, too! Does it have actual champagne in it? I know that you don’t drink alcohol but I don’t know how you feel about cooking with it.

Leah Reply:

I asked Emily last week and I know she said she uses the Champagne Vinegar from Trader Joe’s so not actual champagne! Also, there’s a new champagne vinegar in ORANGE from TJs that is tasty on melon and berries!!

Amanda     at 6:06 am

I would love both of the vinaigrette recipes!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 7:46 am

What a terrific find for Cullen! I think too often we throw away or pass up on things because they aren’t shiny and new but this shows that a little scrubbing and elbow grease works. Plus, to him I’m guessing it’s just as good as a brand new one.

I’m loving all the summery foods hitting blogs now. Corn on the cob is one of my all-time favorite summer foods. If only we could get decent corn year-round!

Hope     at 10:07 am

Have you thought about getting a push bike for Cullen as an alternative to the stroller? We have this one:http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-4-in-1-Trike-Blue/dp/B00AU0O772/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1370970223&sr=8-7&keywords=little+tykes+trike I got it on sale and used a coupon at Toys R Us and it ended up being just under $70. It is perfect for long walks around the neighborhood. My son will happily sit on the bike as we stroll around.

Mandy     at 12:23 pm

I love the photo of Cullen on the canal steps; it looks like he is daydreaming about driving his friends around in his new car :)

Leah     at 12:33 pm

coconut oil on corn! I need to try that!

Kim     at 2:28 pm

I totally LOLed at your mother comment. You should try some Goo Be Gone to get rid of the bumper sticker.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run     at 3:45 pm

The table looks great – fits like a T :)

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 6:25 pm

Aw I love how much he loves his new car. That was really resourceful of you!

deva by definition     at 9:05 am

So adorable – love the coupe! Our house is also really old and it’s fun to carry character throughout it. One of my fav pieces of furniture is an antique buffet we have in our dining room – it adds so much character and storage!

Kristen     at 12:06 pm

The pic of Cullen with Casey on the steps is so adorable! And yay for recycling perfectly good toys- sometimes it pays to look past a little (or a lot of :-)) dirt

Kristi     at 4:37 pm

Those little cars provide such entertainment for kids. My parents have had one that has gone through five grandchildren!

Tina     at 5:41 pm

Some of the best things are free! I know we’ve snagged stuff growing up and I feel no shame saying I will slow down when driving if I see a big pile of stuff at the curb. You never know what you’ll find!

Coconut oil on corn? I’m intrigued! Do you just rub some on or did you cook with it? I’m amazed by how much people do with coconut oil!

Debbie     at 8:08 pm

So funny….I did the SAME thing with a red and yellow cozy coupe car that was somebody’s trash because the wheel had fallen off. A $2 part from Lowe’s and a power washer and it was good as new…and my son loves it!

Electric Riding Toy     at 1:57 am

I will right away snatch your rss feed as I can’t to find
your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any?

Kindly let me recognize so that I could subscribe.
Thanks.