2nd Pregnancy: Goodbye, Second Trimester (weeks 25-27).

Here we go again!  I left off at week 24, and things have continued to grow and change as the weeks have ticked past.   I forgot to take a picture again during week 25, so we’ll just skip right past that.  This pregnancy is a lot less eventful anyway, so I don’t remember anything specific from that week.

Moving along to week 26!

If you are thinking that I look totally ragged and tired you are correct, and I am.  Casey traveled for work this week, and I am quickly discovering that it is much harder to do the solo parent thing as I continue to get bigger and slower.

Week 26 last time versus this time!

26 weeks

Other than feeling enormous, things are pretty normal now.  I don’t know why I FEEL so much bigger this time around, even though I know I’m right on track.  I’ve found the physical growth and changed of pregnancy to be tougher this time around.  It’s hard to feel limited in what I can do with Cullen, and I find myself struggling for breath when he curls up on my lap to read books.  He also doesn’t understand being careful around my belly, and I’m in defensive mode all day making sure he doesn’t take a flying leap on top of me (which is known to happen quite often).

I’m continuing to carry a lot higher this time, which I think I’m actually finding to be more comfortable.  My pants are lasting longer in the waist, and I don’t feel as much pressure and cramping as I did last time during things like workouts and long walks.  I also don’t have the linea nigra line yet, and I know I had it by this point last time!

26 weeks belly

This new little guy has started kicking and punching like a maniac, and I am distracted by it all day long.  My hands are always on my belly, pushing back and saying hello as he pokes out and hand or foot.  It’s fun to connect with him, and Casey and I both agree that he reacts to our gentle pushes and taps.  I think he’s going to be a ball of energy just like big brother!

On Wednesday, I hit the 27 week mark.  Hard to believe this is my last week in the second trimester!

Last time versus this time…

27 weeks

Most notable thing about this week is that I had my glucose screening test!  I had to do a 2-hour fasting test (since I failed the one-hour test during my first pregnancy), and I was happy to hear last night that I passed with flying colors.  HUGE relief!

While I was there, I also had another checkup.  It seems like second pregnancies are just much more relaxed in general, even by medical professionals.  I think this was my fourth appointment in almost seven months!  I actually really like the hands-off approach though, and don’t want any extra pokes or scans of they aren’t needed.

Despite feeling like I swallowed a watermelon, my belly is measuring exactly on track for 27 weeks, and I’ve gained about 16-17 pounds.  So far everything is really normal, and I hope it stays that way!

I’m starting to get a bit antsy about our lack of preparation as far as #2’s arrival goes.  The nursery is currently purple and green striped – desperately begging for paint – and filled with boxes and overflow from our move two months ago.  While I don’t expect to have a perfectly prepped nursery when he arrives (as Cullen will likely still be using the crib!), I’d like to have a better idea of where we’re headed sooner than later.  It’s also time to start brushing up on some childbirth books – eeek, am I really doing that again?

27 weeks belly

The most exciting news this week is that I’m getting on a plane all by myself in just a few hours!  I am headed to San Diego (my first time!) for the weekend for what will likely be my last weekend away for quite some time.  I’m meeting up with my best friend from home, and we’ll be celebrating the wedding of one of our wonderful college friends/roommates.  I am beyond excited, and in major need of some girl time and relaxation.

I’m excited to hear what sort of trouble Casey and Cullen get into while I’m gone.  Casey claims there will be zero bed-making and lots of guitar playing.  Ha!

Off to pack!

For more pregnancy updates, you can visit the pregnancy page.  And for parenting updates, check out the parenting page or read the latest over on Babble:

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries     at 3:20 pm

You are definitely carrying higher this time around! Looking great Mama! You will LOVE San Diego! Have fun!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 3:35 pm

Oh wow have a great weekend! A little mini babymoon for you to go and hopefully relax and have a bit of “me” time! x

Verna     at 3:36 pm

Enjoy your trip! You may feel huge but you look fabulous!

Lisa     at 3:40 pm

You look great!! Have a fun weekend :)

mia     at 3:40 pm

You can definitely tell you are carrying higher. My first thought of the pic you posted was, “wow, she looks so relaxed”! Such a beautiful mama. :) you’ll be pushing out that baby before you know it.

Hope you have a fun trip with lots of yummy eats! Let us live vicariously through your instagram. :)

Theresa     at 4:09 pm

You look great! Enjoy your weekend away. I bet the boys will have a great time :) I love the “no bed making” haha rebels!

I know Gina has done great posts about where to eat in SD. My boyfriend is from Carlsbad, I love it down there!

Bridget     at 4:28 pm

Have been following you even before the LAST pregnancy … so happy for you xxoo from New Mexico

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 4:45 pm

You look great! You definitely have a more pronounced/rounder bump this time around. So cute!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 4:45 pm

Kristi     at 5:27 pm

A solo trip… sometimes solo trips are just what one needs. Have fun!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 6:04 pm

You look wonderful!! I am so excited for you and your 2nd little one! I hope you enjoy this time :)

Megan     at 7:11 pm

You are looking great! Love hearing the differences between pregnancy one and two (we aren’t quite ready for #2 yet but love to see how others handle and adjust so we know what we are eventually in for). I love love love San Diego!!!! Have a lot of fun.

Elisabeth     at 8:17 pm

You’re looking really great! Hope you have a fantastic weekend away – I’ve never been to San Diego, but would love to go :)

Ella     at 9:32 pm

Oh my goodness I’m 28 weeks and my 18 month old is ALWAYS jumping on me – of course, that’s whenever I try to take a second to sit on the couch and “relax.” (Why do we keep trying even through we know it’s hopeless? Desperation I guess.) No regard for “be gentle” when it comes to rough housing on mommy! And it’s physically that much harder the second time around because we are chasing toddlers!

Lee     at 11:23 pm

Enjoy your trip. I had friends get married in San Diego (in Coronado) a few years ago and it was gorgeous.

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers     at 4:51 am

I have my glucose test coming up soon. Eeeek! You look great! It’s interesting reading the differences between this time and the last. :)

Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family     at 5:22 am

I feel the same way about Kid #2 haha. Our current guest room is going to be baby’s room and I don’t plan on making the switch until we don’t have company coming. We are planning on transitioning Em to a big girl bed though at her birthday. EEEK. Also totally agree about how relaxed 2nd pregnancies are. My OB has me in and out so fast but I don’t feel rushed. Just not a lot of questions ;)

char eats greens     at 5:41 am

I LOVE that purpley-blue top for the week 26. Looks so nice on you!! It’s crazy home time flies! Have a fun time in San Diego, I want to go back there!!!

Laura Ann     at 9:06 am

You look so much like you older sister. Not in an “older” way, but in a beautiful way. :)

I live in SD – the weather should be great for you this weekend. Enjoy your stay. Hopefully you can check out some of the fabulous veg places! Gina’s travels usually involve La Jolla, but try to check out the fun, little tucked away neighborhoods like Hillcrest, North Park, and South Park.

Maureen     at 9:44 am

You are definitely carrying higher this time! Have a great weekend away & enjoy some well-deserved girl time! :)

Bridget S     at 2:23 pm

Love your metallic (looks like it) sandals in the week 26 post. Where are they from? You look great. You may think you look tired, but there is a definite glow. :)

Kelly     at 6:21 pm

You look great! My baby just turned 13 months, and for the first time I’m ready to think about #2! Have a great weekend away! :)

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 8:09 pm

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy the girl time all to yourself!! It won’t be long before you’re really outnumbered by all those boys! :)

Terikay     at 4:23 am

Thanks for sharing such an intimate time with your readers. I love following your blog but rarely comment. You look absolutely fabulous!

Pssst… my family is addicted to our rice cooker. Thanks for the rec. We enjoy steel cut oats with banana several times a week.

Kristin     at 5:58 am

You look so good!!!! I can’t wait t hear about your trip to San Diego! I may be going next year!

Katie     at 4:55 pm

What movers did you use to move from Washington to Washington?

Julie     at 8:58 am

Hope you had a great trip! Can’t wait to hear about it. :)

Brianna Sudrla     at 12:32 pm

Dear Emily Malone,

I work on the production team for The Better Show, a daily, nationally syndicated television show based in New York City. I’m currently looking for vibrant food bloggers in your area to be featured in our “License to Spill” branded series.

Our most recent stop on this tour was in Philadelphia for the Italian Market Festival. Here is a link to give you an idea of what how the food blogger role fits into our program:

The premise of the tour is a cross-country road trip that stops at food festivals in every city, highlighting the regional flavors of each town and featuring some great, messy, local dishes.

I came across your blog and would like to invite you to appear in our taping for Seattle, at Seattle Italian Festival. If you’re available on September 29th , we would feature you on-camera weighing in on the food our featured chef has prepared, and ask you to write the story up on your blog.

If you’re interested (and I hope you are!), please be in touch to discuss more details about the shoot.

Brianna Sudrla

Christina     at 2:23 pm

I hope you had a nice time in San Diego. That is where my fiance grew up (La Jolla) and it is one of our absolute favorite places.

Leslie     at 9:13 am

Thanks for sharing so much, especially the pregnancy updates! Love your blog and am pregnant for the first time so really love reading about everything.

Dumb question but your maternity clothes are a lot cuter than anything I’ve found – where have you gone shopping?

Thanks!!

Congrats to you! Almost everything I have is from Old Navy or Gap. I’ve also borrowed a few things from generous friends!

Michaela     at 12:48 am

Hi
I would like to ask you if you are not concern about vegetarian diet. I mean I was vegan 2 years, cause I love animals, but it tooks my fertility then I incorporate WAPF principle without grains and now I am pregnat so happy. But I would be afraid not to eat fish for DHA EPA(due to poor conversion from plants),some kind of liver(even I do not like it try to eat some duck or lamb liver) for vitamin A thats could only be found in animals sources…..

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Second Pregnancy: Third Trimester (Weeks 28-31)!     at 8:56 am

[...] has been exactly a month since my last update (oops!), so it’s probably time for another one.  I need to stay on top of these as the ends [...]