For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Fourth Festivities.

Happy Fourth (errr, Fifth) of July!  We had a fun, festive family day with a good combination of activity, food, and friends – exactly as it should be.  Our day started off pretty early with plans for a morning hike.  We decided to try something new and drive out to the Snoqualmie Pass area to hike Rattlesnake Ridge

I read a bunch of reviews online ahead of time that said this hike was “an easy day trip” and “great for kids.”  I have since decided that the people who leave hiking reviews on WTA are all hard core hikers and have different expectations and definitions of “easy” than I do.  Ha!

It was a beautiful hike, but anything but easy.  We climbed an elevation gain of 1,160 feet that went straight UP – inclined the entire way.  I was expecting it to be pretty low-key, but I found myself having to take a lot of breaks to catch my breath and drink some water.  Climbing two miles up is tough!  Good thing we had gorgeous views to encourage us to keep going.

I didn’t take a lot of pictures along the way, mostly because Cullen had a really hard time in the hiking backpack.  I feel like a lot of you comment that you are amazed that we take him out so much and do all these things with him, so I thought I’d keep it real.  He is definitely not always good, and we have our fair share of toddler disasters too.  He spent pretty much the entire trip up whining into Casey’s ear and squirming around in the backpack trying to escape.

We kept promising him that when we got to the top he’d be able to get out and stretch his legs.  And then we finally got there and discovered that the top was pretty much a rock cliff – yikes!

The views were absolutely gorgeous, but I suddenly found myself having a bizarre fear of heights.  The overlook of the trail was literally just a series of large boulders (with a giant hole in the middle) and no level ground to stand on.  It was also really crowded!

But the views were absolutely breathtaking, even on a cloudy morning, and I wasn’t willing to retreat before pulling out my camera for a few clicks.

Twenty-six weeks pregnant, and looking incredibly nervous about the massive cliff directly behind me.

We hiked back down to a small clearing area and let Cullen out for a few minutes.  Normally he really enjoys our hikes and points out things like birds and trees, but this just wasn’t his day.  It happens.

We slowly hiked the two miles back down, which was almost as hard physically as climbing up.  The trees were so deep and tall, and the weather was perfect.  Even if it was harder than expected, I was still really glad we gave it a shot and experienced a new trail.

Somewhere about halfway down we realized Cullen was being alarmingly quiet, and we turned around to see him passed out in the backpack.

I think a lot of his grumpiness was probably just him feeling extra tired for some reason – it happens!  He was totally conked out and didn’t even wake up when Casey took the backpack off back at the car.

Four miles round-trip and a climb of over 1,000 feet – we were all WIPED and ready for a nap.  We headed home for a family snooze.

Once we were all rested and showered, we headed to our friends’ house for a low-key backyard BBQ.  They had a delicious spread of festive food, including a giant grilled portabella mushroom that got added to this plate after I snapped the pic.

Cullen discovered his buddy Max’s golf caddy and took possession over it the entire time we were there.  Thankfully Max was willing to share.  He has a strange obsession with trash cans, and he thought this was his own mini garbage can to pull around.  He collected cups and napkins to fill it up with all night long.  Sigh, so weird.

Barbecue boys!

Check out this hilarious photo series of his buddy Nisso having the audacity to try to touch the golf caddy…

The next photo would have been Cullen screaming and freaking out about his precious “trash can” – but I jumped up and intervened.  Eventually they sorted it out, as usual.  Silly boys.

After dinner it was time for some festive desserts!  Casey and I brought a big box of firework donuts from Mighty O – our favorites.  So pretty!

Festive family.

We headed home around bedtime, but not before snapping a few holiday photos to look back on next year.

I’m so thankful for such wonderful boys in my life.

And another one who will be here before we know it!

It was a fun, family Fourth – one of my favorite days of the year.

Once Cullen was in bed, Casey and I headed to the balcony off our master bedroom to enjoy some treats we brought home from the party…

And I sipped on my beloved Dry Soda – a Seattle specialty that is not to be missed!

We have beautiful panoramic city views of many different neighborhoods from our new place, and a gorgeous pink sunset felt like the perfect end to a great day.

Casey and I sat outside for a few hours and just enjoyed each other’s company – watching fireworks above the hillsides all over the city.  It was awesome.  We were able to see several different firework shows all at once, and I couldn’t stop thinking about how grateful I am to live in a new place we love so much.

Unfortunately the dogs didn’t have as nice of a night.  Huey spent the entire night barking non-stop, and Indy ended up curled up in my lap in a ball on the balcony, shaking like a baby.  Poor pups.

Hope everyone had a nice, festive Fourth!  What a treat that the weekend is just around the corner now.  Enjoy!

Carley@OptimisticHealth     at 10:35 pm

Sounds similar to ours minus an intense hike with a kiddo! Seattle is so freakin beautiful, as your pictures display!

Shari     at 5:52 am

I just read a book (Allie Larkin’s WHY CAN’T I BE YOU) that mentioned hiking in Snoqualmie. Sounds – and looks – like a beautiful area!

PhillyLass     at 6:46 am

Lavender soda?!!! Where has this been all my life? Off to google to find the nearest store that sells it…

PhillyLass     at 6:46 am

Michelle Klein     at 10:27 am

Just love your post today, frankly I love all your posts! I giggled so much reading thru the parts where Cullen was doing his thing with the golf “garbage” cart and the pictures to boot, was sort of like a comic strip, lol. Kids are terribly funny and I’m so glad you are enjoying his little quirky behaviors. I really needed a laugh, having a rough patch here myself. Thanks for sharing and please don’t worry about negative feedback, you simply cannot please everyone all the time, don’t try!! :-)

padma     at 2:16 pm

Seeing your pictures make me want to move to the northwest area. Except that I really can’t stand the cold haha…But I do want to visit. It seems like a lovely place. And I want to go hiking…those views are so beautiful and serene.

Sarah     at 2:17 pm

Umm yea okay. Thanks for your input.

Susan (susonia.com)     at 1:55 pm

Oh, how I miss BC, when watching your pics of your beautiful hikes!!! I know you’re in Seattle, but still… And I love the chevron maxi skirt! Too bad I’m not pregnant, haha (although I do still have my post-baby belly…)!

Jacquelynn     at 7:52 pm

Oh my gosh, that pic of you standing by the cliff/ledge made my knees weak! I think the description of the area is what got me. I am so scared of heights!

Sounds like a wonderful day!

sarah crosby     at 9:39 pm

youre looking so good! looks like a great 4th! my favorite was the ones of the kid taking the toy away from cullen. My son is a few days younger than yours and i had to chuckle cause my son would do the same.

kristen | verbs and vignettes     at 4:36 am

happy fourth!! the night on the balcony actually sounds like the best part to me. :)

Hilary @ PeanutButterSpoonfuls     at 4:55 am

What a gorgeous hike! I love Cullen all slumped over in the backpack. Ours will fall asleep in the car or stroller no problem, but never the backpack. He must’ve been exhausted!

deva by definition     at 6:36 am

That dry soda looks and sounds divine! Our 4th of July weekend was really really really wet! We saw fireworks at the Reds game on Wednesday night but the game on Thursday was called due to rain (which was a bummer!).

Your pictures are fabulous and Cullen is adorable!

Ingunn     at 8:31 am

I think Rattlesnake is easy…but I’ve never hiked it while pregnant or carrying a small human on my back. :)

I mean a lot of people looked like they were doing it with NO problem! Maybe I’m just really out of shape. Cullen whining the whole way definitely didn’t help!

Ingunn Reply:

You’re not out of shape, you’re gestating a human being inside of you!

Shannan     at 1:22 pm

Sounds like a great 4th! You got some really great family photos! :)

Christina     at 2:01 pm

I have never laughed as hard at one of your posts, as I did for this one. Cullen’s trashcan obsession is absolutely hysterical to me. The way he is giving Nisso the stink eye in that second picture is hilarious!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Weekend.     at 2:58 pm

[…] What a weekend!  I felt like we did so much, and yet somehow still felt refreshed and relaxed at the end of it (despite my swelling ankles!).  Casey had to work on Friday, but it still felt like a longer weekend since we got to spend Thursday together celebrating the Fourth.  […]

Theresa     at 4:16 pm

What a beautiful hike! My parents always tell a story about a family backpacking trip when I was little. Apparently I was not feeling it one day and they bribed me to finish with m&m’s! So funny…but it worked because I love hiking and being outdoors! It looks like you had a wonderful weekend!

krista     at 5:40 am

OMG my 17 month old is OBSESSED with trashcans too! Doesn’t notice cars, trucks, sprinklers…but can find a trashcan in any setting!

Maria     at 10:43 am

Thanks so much for the recommendation on the hiking backpack a few months ago. We tested out our Osprey on vacation in New Hampshire this past weekend, and my husband loved it…and more importantly, our daughter loved it!

Maria

So happy to hear it! We love ours!

Kathy     at 1:01 pm

I’m not usually a blog commenter, except: Toddler Sequence. I cannot stop laughing at those boys! Chaos on the left. Kid on the right who looks the same kind of bored in every shot.

SO FUNNY.

turfgirl     at 1:16 pm

we LOVE paseo’s. we have driven down from vancouver bc just for a sandwhich once. my husband kept telling me about it and i was like meh. then he got one and i ate the entire thing from paseo’s to our hotel downtown.

running shoes