Beach Days.

Thursday – really?  And August – seriously, get out of here.  I am just starting to get into my summer groove, and it already feels like I’m running out of time.  We’ve been vacationing this week in Hilton Head, South Carolina with Casey’s family.  We’re having an absolute blast, and I’ve had a wonderful time disconnecting, digging beach pools, napping on the balcony, taking beach walks, and eating messy sandwiches.

We are staying in the same spot that I visited every summer of my childhood with my dad’s family, and it’s been a special treat for me to create new memories here with Casey’s family.  The beach makes me a cheesy sap, and I just can’t quite get enough of watching Cullen laugh and splash in the same sand and surf where I learned to swim, collect sea shells, and build drip castles.

He is 100% obsessed with grandpa, and will have nothing to do with anyone else.  It’s nice to get a break, but I could do with a little less “no, mommy!” too.  We are kidnapping Casey’s dad and taking him back to Seattle with us.

We’re in a great groove where every morning we are up early and on the beach before it’s too hot and sunny.  We’ve been blessed with a few overcast, cloudy days that have made the southern transition a bit easier on this melting Seattle family.

Cullen loves the beach, and I’ve never been so sandy in my life.  I stopped packing books and magazines after the first day, and have embraced a sandy bottomed swim suit and sore arms from digging wading pools.

This is my happy place.

I’ve even been able to catch up with a few friends!

In between endless trips to the ocean to refill buckets of water and trying to wiggle a squirmy toddler out of wet beach clothes, I’ve been soaking up as much of my sweet 11-week old niece as possible.  She is by far the most laid back, well-behaved baby I’ve ever met, and I absolutely adore her.

Even more fun is watching Casey with her – he is a total natural and doesn’t seem to have lost any of his natural comfort with an infant.  I am clumsy and awkward and have forgotten the rhythmic bounce and sway that calms them so quickly.  He is confident and seems to have the perfect forearm length and size for resting her and gently rocking her into a trance.

And what fun to watch my brother and sister-in-law become parents.  I’ve had fun picturing what our family trips will be like when we have a six, seven, and eight year old running around.  I’m guessing afternoons in the pool will involve a lot less napping and a lot more cannonballs.

This little fish spends most morning on the beach, and we cool off in the afternoons at the pool.  When I came here as a kid, I spent pretty much sun up to sun down of every day at this same pool (since we’d already done the the beach thing all summer in New Jersey).  I know I’m a broken record, but it’s just so incredible to see Cullen learning to swim in the same space.  I keep expecting to see my cousins or grandparents round the corner though – lots of strange déjà vu!

Okay we’ve been here for something like five days now, so less commentary and more pictures.  Indulge me – this is my vacation journal!

Don’t make me leave!

Amelia     at 4:42 am

Yay, so happy you’re all having a blast in HH! It’s definitely a treat to get down there. How nice is it to just relax, reminisce your childhood, and soak up the sun with family? Your new niece is precious too!

Let me know if you plan any spontaneous or last minute trips up here to Charleston. I can give y’all lots of restaurant recs & fun activities for Cullen!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 4:49 am

Aww it looks like you all are having an AMAZING time! I Love Hilton head so much!! The kids look like they are having so much fun and if I may say so you look AMAZING!I hope I look half as great as you do when I am pregnant one day!

Katie     at 4:49 am

You are one stunning pregnant mama! Wow :) And your niece is absolutely beautiful! Looks like you guys are having a wonderful time… The picture of Cullen on top the sand castle gave me a good laugh :)

Nana Phyllis     at 4:50 am

Wonderful memories you are making! ” No mommy”reminds me of when our grandson was two and started saying “NO” a lot. His parents taught him to say “no thank you” which came out “shank you” but sounded much more respectful than NO!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life     at 5:11 am

What a great trip so far! I can’t wait to be back at the beach soon. It’s such a happy place! And my ten month old loves the water which makes me so happy!

Lee     at 5:17 am

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Fernanda Galvez     at 5:19 am

Fun! We had fun last year with out 8 month old in HHI last year, but unfortunately stayed in a crappy hotel due to Priceline.

Any suggestions on good hotels?

We especially love that HHI is only a short 4 hour drive from Atlanta :) I could see our kids growing up going there too ;)

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 5:26 am

Something about the beach… it’s just such a great place to relax and have fun with the fam! You look great and Cullen just keeps getting cuter :)

Melissa     at 5:28 am

Aww, looks like a wonderful family vacation and your niece and Cullen are absolutely adorable!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 5:37 am

I want a bite of that tempeh sandwich! Summers on the beach are just the best, wish we had the weather for them here! I have a longing to visit Seattle with all the gorgeous restaurants, beaches, and of course the flying apron :) Cullen is so cute in all his swimming pool get up!

Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family     at 5:37 am

We had so much fun with you guys! Looking forward to the next time :)

Kaci     at 6:10 am

So fun!! You look gorgeous in a bikini, so jealous! XO

Andrea     at 6:33 am

You do look gorgeous! Love the baby bump.

Beth@Motor City on my Mind     at 6:35 am

Looks like you guys are having an awesome time…and of course eating amazing looking food (as always)!!

Glad to see you are all enjoying every moment this last vacation before baby number two is here! :)

Emily     at 6:39 am

i am soooo jealous. The beach is my happy place, too. I grew up 1.5 hours from Myrtle Beach and trips there are synonymous with summer. Thankfully, we’re going in Sept.

I hope you guys haven’t gotten too much of the depressing rain we’ve gotten all over the Carolinas. It’s funny – you always get brief rain showers at the beach – but maybe the beach has the drier (if overcast!) weather. Has there been much sun, overall???

Claire @ Health Nut Claire     at 6:52 am

Cullen is SO stinkin’ cute!

Heather (Heather's Dish)     at 7:10 am

You’re such a great mom I have no doubt the infant bouncing will come back as soon as the little man is born ;) Seriously, how adorable is Cullen? I can’t handle his sweet smile!

Jacquelyn @justjacq     at 7:10 am

I love that you rock the bikini! It’s so nice to a see a woman unashamed of her pregnant bathing suit clad body!
And Cullen takes the best photos. I love the one of him with a serious face, standing by the pool, with just a hint of Buddha belly sicking out.

Orghlaith     at 7:20 am

Your posts make my day. As a grandma-aged woman with one disabled child I admit to living a bit vicariously through your blog. Your family is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Emily @ The Good Era     at 7:22 am

Your photos are amazing! It looks like you all are having a fantastic time. :)

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run     at 8:01 am

your new niece is beautiful. so fun to watch your family grow :)

colleen     at 8:20 am

looks like a perfect vacation and you look amazing! thanks for sharing with us. i’m definitely living vicariously through you guys. we have a colicky 9 week old on our hands so vacations are kind of not going to happen this summer!

Megan     at 9:09 am

You’re making me long for all the vacations my family too to the Outer Banks of NC when I was growing up — such good memories. I can’t wait to (someday) take our children there!

Plus, Cullen in his floatie suit is just about the cutest thing ever! It’s amazing how fast they grow, thanks for letting us all join in on your adventures!

Navya     at 9:36 am

Emily,

I live in India, I am glad you posted tonight.. I am a mom with a 10 month old baby having my share of problems, today was an incredibly bad day work wise and personally – huge fights that first time parents have.. your post made me smile :)

Thank you. All the best for a great vacation ahead. You deserve it.

char eats greens     at 10:37 am

Cullen is just such a happy little guy. I love it!! It’s also awesome that you got to meet up with Maddy; someone who I’d love to meet in person!!

I would never want to leave HHI either. That place has my heart, that’s for sure :)

Amanda @ Sistas of Strength     at 10:52 am

Connor wants nothing to do with us either when Grampy is around. :) Looks like you’re having a blast!!!!

Alexandra     at 11:55 am

Do I see a Denison duck?

sarah     at 1:29 pm

ahhhh, living vicariously. twice in one year! lucky you! give grandma and grandpa h. a splash for me! =)

Melissa     at 1:39 pm

You are rocking that pregnant belly!!
I am a big girl, so I know I won’t get that pretty, smooth and round by February (I have my 4 1/2 year old to thank for that and the tiger stripes she gave me, which I wear proudly!) doesn’t snuggling her make you want him out even more!? I know I can’t wait to hold my own little guy/gal when holding an itty bitty! :) When are you due again?

Oh, and Cullen is pretty cute too ;) LOL

Babs     at 1:48 pm

You look amazing – I think sand and sun just brings out the happiness!

Elisabeth     at 2:11 pm

Love the picture of Casey & your niece! She looks most definitely like a Malone :)

Caitie     at 2:23 pm

You look amazinnnngggg.

Can I ask where those swim suits are from? Specifically the navy one, I really love that colour.

thanks!

Morgan     at 3:00 pm

I think you are so beautiful preggo and in a bathing suit! I love it when mommies show off their pregnant bellies!

Carley@OptimisticHealth     at 3:24 pm

The ocean is definitely one of my happy spots too! Looks like a blast and a perfect disconnect for a week! You look great!!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance     at 3:26 pm

I can’t even handle Cullen’s cuteness on the beach!!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 3:57 pm

Glad you are having such a good time. Family and fun are what vacation is all about.

Meri     at 4:18 pm

Cullen is just the cutest! Glad you’re having a good time. We are off to Tybee Island this weekend, so hopefully we’ll have some good weather, too! Love all the pictures!

Tricia     at 6:38 pm

Love this post! So many precious photos… Love Cullen’s mischievous beach grin, precious baby niece, and your adorable bump in a bikini. I love that you flaunt it!
Random question, but what are Casey’s tattoos, I don’t know that I’ve ever noticed them before…

Arlene Reply:

I have never noticed Casey’s tattoos before either! What are they??

Padma     at 7:13 pm

Oh man, I’m so jealous. It’s back to school for me. Endless lectures and thousands of slides to go through. But yay for little breaks where I can vicariously live through you! :)

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna     at 8:11 pm

glad to see you guys are having such a good time!

Dad     at 7:21 am

I’m so glad to see you and your families continuing the “Bash” tradition which your Grandparents began in the 1980s, when your mom and I would drive the Aerostar from Stone Harbor to Turtle Lane with you and ‘Becca in your captains chairs, and we would spend TWO WEEKS(!)at that pool and beach….I hope you will be able to reunite with Casey’s family for years to come, just as your Holcombe families (3 generations) are continuing our Bashes on various beaches…love Dad

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers     at 8:44 am

What a cutie, and you look great! I used to build drip castles with my daddy. Memories!

Leah     at 10:39 am

Ahhh so refreshing to see these photos. :)

It’s important to return to the special places of our youth! :)

yay for drip castles!

Kelly     at 11:31 am

Glad you’re having a good time! It’s so funny to hear you talk about Hilton Head and the Jersey shore as I’m from the midwest and have never been to a east coast beach before. I’ve traveled there but never to the beach. My beach has always been in the form of Florida, Cali, Hawii and Mexico! I’ll have to try it out sometime…

Julie     at 12:47 pm

OMG I never get tired of seeing pics of Cullen! That kid is too adorable for words! Ask him how that sand tasted? ;) Glad you’re having a great trip!

maria120     at 10:50 pm

Aw…love the sweet comment from dad ;)
You look absolutely amazing! And so does your SIL! Cullen is so cute and lucky to have such great family traditions.

Linda     at 5:09 am

Congratulations on baby #2! It has been a while since I checked your website primarily due to the fact that a 14-month-old toddler takes up a lot of previous blog-reading “free time.” Anyhow I can’t wait to read more on your experiences with Cullen’s younger sibling. I love your vegan recipes!

All the best,
Linda

Joelle (on a pink typewriter)     at 8:59 am

That pic of Cullen in his floaties is so freakin’ cute haha glad you guys are having so much fun!

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 8:56 pm

Hope you are having a great time!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Home Again.     at 3:54 pm

[...] course the only thing I didn’t unplug from was my camera.  I shared the first half of our vacation with you last week, and here is the rest of it.  I assure you that despite the number of [...]

Kate @ KaCo Living     at 1:20 pm

It is always the best feeling to get home! I’m glad you had such a great vacation. I’m really wanting to go to the beach now :)