The Great Escape.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan, WHAT a morning!  Today has been a strange day in every sense of the word.  First off, after months and months of hot summer sun, it’s been pouring rain all day.  The air is cooler and alarmingly humid, and it feels like fall is looming.  This is relevant to the rest of the story ahead, I promise.

Usually our mornings consist of early morning work time, followed by family breakfast, and a quick hug and kiss goodbye to dad before he catches the bus.  But this morning Casey had a few extra minutes, and ran to the hardware store to get something that we needed for a time-sensitive project.  This is also relevant.  Bear with me.

Also atypical, on most days we are up and out the door first thing in the morning.  We try to take advantage of our pre-nap playtime window by maximizing our time at the zoo, parks, or at friend’s houses.  But today we had plans with an old friend I haven’t seen in a while, and we weren’t planning to get together until much later than normal.  This left us with a few solid hours of playtime at home, which was unexpected and actually really nice, especially on a rainy day.

Since we were home, I let the dogs have some extra playtime in the backyard.  I opened up the back door for them and let them run around in the rain while Cullen and I headed upstairs for playtime (him) and laundry folding (me).  We had been up there for a while when I realized I hadn’t heard them bark (which they often do), so I did a quick double-check to make sure our back gate was closed by looking out the back window.  Looked good!

About an hour passed while we were upstairs, and we finally headed down just as we were expecting my friend to arrive with her son.  I was surprised to not hear the dogs clicking around in the laundry room.  I opened the back door and called out to them, and I felt my stomach drop as I heard a deafening silence.  I looked at the gate again (which is the only place they could possibly escape), and still – it was closed.  My mind raced and none of it made sense.  Did I mention it was pouring rain?

I walked outside across the yard and over to the gate.  Was I missing something?  It was only as I got within a foot of it that I could see that the gate was indeed “closed” – but it wasn’t actually latched.  In the rush of the morning, the gate must have bounced out of the latch when Casey came home from the store, and he didn’t hear or notice it because it was raining so hard (a very easy mistake).  The latch was resting right against the lock, but the door could have easily been nosed open.  Enter: PANIC.

20130829_122026 (359x640)

I ran inside and grabbed my keys, cell phone, and wallet (why?) – and immediately called Casey as I became borderline hysterical.  Cullen and I were both barefoot, it was still raining, and I frantically tried to buckle him into his car seat with my entire body – and hands – visibly shaking.

Our dogs have escaped from (most of) our houses before, but we’ve learned from past mistakes and they haven’t actually gotten out in several years.  In fact, the last time they escaped was way back when we were living in Alexandria!  I had no sense of what direction they might have gone, and I knew they had likely been gone for over an hour at this point – long enough for them to gain a serious distance on me.

I rolled my windows down as the rain flew in, and shouted HUEY and INDY at the top of my lungs over and over again.  A small bright spot in an otherwise horrific situation was that Cullen found this to be hilarious, following each of my calls with a giant giggle and a shout of “HUUUU, DEEEEE” of his own.

Thirty, forty, fifty minutes passed and my mind and my car continued to just go in circles.  I called Casey and told him I was not emotionally prepared to deal with finding one or both of their bodies on the side of the road.  He got in a cab and headed home to join the hunt.

I drove around for what was actually an hour, and felt like ten.  I stopped every person out on the street (of which there were very few) and asked them if they had seen two dogs running loose.  No dice.

My heart raced but I tried to force myself to remain calm and to drive safely and slowly.  We didn’t need to get into an accident, and I also didn’t want to end up running over one of my dogs if they did, indeed, hear my calls.  I thought about them being scared and wet (although I knew they were probably having a blast), and tried to tell myself that they were both wearing tags and that someone would eventually find them and get in touch.

20130829_125510 (359x640)

I thought about how quickly I let them annoy me.  How when they bark at the UPS man during nap time I want to kill them.  How frustrated I get when I find another one of Cullen’s balls deflated and shredded in the backyard.  How angry I was just this morning when Huey ate the rest of the zucchini bread that I had been looking forward to having at breakfast.  How I have come to view picking up poop in the backyard and taking them for walks as a huge nuisance instead of being a totally normal part of dog ownership (which it is).

And I thought about how Cullen loves to turn music on and asks the dogs to dance with him.  And how happy Indy looks when he lays in the sunny spot on the back deck.  And how I try to ignore how grey Huey is getting and the fact that he enters double digits next month.  And how much they have been through with us as our lives have moved and changed – marriage, a new baby, more new houses than I can count – and how they have always, always been there.

And then they weren’t.

And I realized how much I really, really wanted them to be.

20130829_123520 (359x640)

I had been driving around for over an hour when my phone rang.  A sweet, small voice asked “Are you Indy Malone’s mom?”  I found myself literally shouting back, “YES, OH MY GOD YES, DO YOU HAVE BOTH OF THEM?”  The answer was yes, and that they were at a local elementary school.

I broke down sobbing begging this kind soul to stay put, and assured her I was only a few minutes away.  I pulled up in front of the school to find two filthy, stinky, thirsty pups – wagging their tails and being held and loved on by what were essentially two children.

The girls, who I came to find out were twelve years old, said they had seen the dogs run by three times over the course of the hour.  At first they assumed the owners must be nearby, but by the third time they knew these pups must be lost.  They found my number on the tags and the rest was history.

I gave them both huge hugs and thanked them to the point that I think I might have actually scared them.  I pulled the pups close to me, gave them each big kisses despite all the mud and funk, and tried not to think about the disaster they were about to make out of the back of my car.

20130829_125501 (640x361)

In total, they were gone almost three hours – their greatest escape by a long shot.  We are very lucky that they stuck together – in all of their escapes over the years, they have never separated.  Adorable, right?

Thank goodness they headed toward a dead end section of the neighborhood, and not the other direction which is an enormous state park.  We are also so lucky for the kindness of sweet strangers.  I have never been so happy that kids these days tend to have their own cell phones!  There is hope for America’s youth after all.

I don’t know what sort of trouble they got into but whatever it was it sure wore them out.  They have been passed out on their blankets ever since, most likely dreaming of their next big adventure together.

20130829_145549 (640x360)

While they definitely have their moments, and drive me absolutely out of my mind at times, I feel sick just thinking about how silent our house was when I realized they were gone.  And as we sit here on the edge of yet another major life transition, I am happy and grateful knowing that – as always – they will be here.

20130829_145707 (640x360)

Emma     at 3:21 pm

I have been a long time reader of your blog, you write so beautifully, but I have never commented before. Your post really struck a cord with me, as my two naughty pups just executed a grand escape of their own. They really are a part of the family, and while mine were only gone for 30 minutes I can’t imagine the horror you felt driving around looking for them for an hour! I’m so glad you found them!

Rebecca     at 3:29 pm

Oh my heart sank reading that post! I used to be a very busy dog sitter and I only had one dog escape but that one time terrified me. Seriously I had visions of the dog being hit by a car and having to tell the owner and then hyperventilating. He ended up biting a person and their cat so it was still bad but ugh!

So glad you found them! What an adventure on a crazy, rainy day.

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 3:31 pm

Wow, what a tale! Ditto the comment above about your writing — totally absorbed me. I’m glad your dogs made it back! I’ve been through something similar recently with our cat, and you never realize how much you miss the rascals until they’re gone (and, thankfully, back in both cases).

Glad Cullen was there in your frantic moments, as he will also be there for you now, too! (and the other little guy now, of course!)

Tams     at 3:32 pm

Very misty eyed here, Emily. I can only imagine that sick feeling you had because they are your children just as much as Cullen and his to-be-baby brother are. Thank the heavens for those two little girls with such big, caring hearts, too! Now Huey and Indy, you two ever do that to your mama again and I’m sending my little spitfire Cassie Cornchip to bark you both the riot act!

Lauren     at 3:32 pm

Yes, Emily, you are SUCH a good writer. I’m not even a dog person and this moved me. :)

Lisa     at 3:36 pm

I came close to tears at your story. I’m so glad you found them! My dog used to find every way to escape and there is almost nothing as scary as the thought of losing a pet (a family member). I’m happy for all of you :)

Amanda     at 3:38 pm

I had to let my eyes gloss over as I scrolled to the bottom of this post to make sure it had a happy ending before I could even read it. Oh my gosh! I have to go hug my sweet dog. I’m so glad you found them.

Lee     at 3:40 pm

This is one of my biggest fears. We have a fenced backyard which is sort of large. A couple of months ago, I heard my dog barking at the back next to the fence (not unusual) but upon further inspection, I realized that he was on the OTHER side of the fence! My husband and I had to lift him over since and we still can’t figure out how he got there. (He’s not a fence jumper.)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 3:43 pm

Awww Emily I am so sorry you had to go through this this morning! I can’t imagine what I would do if my dog got out! Glad you found them and they were in good hands :)

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life     at 3:44 pm

As an animal lover and Mom to a special needs pup, this post had me in tears! I often worry that something like this would happen to us, and the thought alone scares me half to death. I’m so sorry you had to go through this today! But I’m SO glad this post has a happy ending and your boys (ALL of them!) will be sleeping under a dry roof tonight!

Jennifer W     at 3:49 pm

Tears as I am reading this. I too have a beloved dog that has done the same. Makes us realize how much we love them :-)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 3:52 pm

awww…I was so scared reading this! I’m SO happy you got them back! That is a terrible feeling.

Brenda Fisher     at 3:55 pm

Wow! Pregnant and with a toddler driving around frantic in the rain for your pups, what a terrible moment. As a Mom and dog owner, I can just feel the emotions on the other side of the United States. I’ve got 4 kids, 2 dogs and a cat. I’ve only had the dog escape once, but it is an awful feeling. Glad it all worked out. I love your blog and your writing is wonderful.

Ravyn     at 3:56 pm

We, too, have two pups, and this is my worst fear!!! I’m so sorry you had to deal that that today, but I am SO happy for the kind people who called you. What a relief!!

Theresa     at 3:57 pm

This post brought me to tears! I’ve been reading for so long, I feel like we’re old friends and I know Huey and Indy too! I am so happy they are safe and sound. I had never had a dog before Andrew moved in, and it is the best thing ever. Even when it can be a “pain,” it’s worth it! When we take our dog Lou to Andrew’s sister’s before we leave to go out of town, our house is always sooo lonely those few hours we’re home and he isn’t Loved this post! I am so glad they’re home safe!

Sarah Venn     at 3:59 pm

Oh my gosh i’m crying. I’m so glad you found them. They sound exactly like my dogs. I don’t know what I would do without them, no matter how many times they wake up my baby :)

Kelly Reply:

I’m crying too! Emily, I have to remember not to read your blog at work because I end up in tears!!! This post reminds me that I need to buy a dog tag with my phone number on it!! I keep putting it off (had my dog for 3 yrs). I’m going to try to do it this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Jessica J.     at 4:06 pm

I’ve had my dogs escape and I get the worst feeling in the pick of my stomach while they’re gone. So glad such kind souls found your dogs, that they stayed together, and that you have them home again! I always give mine treats when they get home from being “lost”. My mom says I shouldn’t reward their behavior, but I like to remind them how great home is ;)

Allison     at 4:12 pm

I’m so glad they are ok! That is such a stressful situation, I can’t even imagine.

kristen @ verbs and vignettes     at 4:28 pm

i am so glad to hear!!! those adorable puppies have been a part of your blog ever since i found you years ago. :) that was a very happy ending to the morning.

sarah     at 4:35 pm

oh my god, oh my god, I know that sinking feeling – charlie disappeared for TWO NIGHTS a few years ago and my world ended. These cats are SUCH a pain in the ass – even now Maggie shakes her head and drool goes flying into my hot chocolate – yet I am SO IN LOVE with them. So relieved you got your pups back. WHEW.

Jessie     at 4:37 pm

Oh this post hits home. We just moved on Saturday from our home of 8 years. We had two indoor kitties (sisters) who never were allowed to explore the great outdoors. On Saturday night we locked them in the garage of the new house and Sunday morning I opened up the cat door leading out to the fenced in yard (on a 4 acre lot) w/over 50 acres leading out back. Sadly, we haven’t seen them since :( I’m guessing a rattlesnake or a coyote found them appetizing.

Samantha Reply:

If they were always indoor cats they may actually be hiding very close to the house and just silent. Cats can be weird when they go missing.

Emily     at 4:37 pm

oh my gosh! Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers. Glad they are safe and sound.

Lindsey     at 4:38 pm

Ditto to all the comments on what a great writer you are! I definitely was wiping my eyes throughout. I think the only other post that made me cry was the one you wrote about your (I think it was…)grandparent’s dog who passed away. Oh, how the puppy stories get me every time! I’m glad this story had a happier ending though and that everyone is safe and dry now.

Lara     at 4:40 pm

How scary! A similar thing happened to me when I was about 7 months pregnant with G, except it was someone else’s dog I was watching! Very similar…I was driving around the neighborhood screaming like a mad woman. After about an hour I got a call from a kind stranger.
As much as Lulu and Pippa drive me crazy for all the same reasons you mentioned, they are still my first babies, and I cant’ imagine life without them (ok, some moments I can).
I’m so glad you guys had a happy ending!

Veronica @ Veggie V's Vegan Adventure     at 4:41 pm

That almost made me cry. I can imagine your paranoia. I would have been a wreck! Our kitty got out this afternoon, and we chased him around the neighborhood. Ugh. Why are animals so adventurous? LOL

Nikki     at 5:15 pm

I’m crying. I can totally relate. I have a nine month old baby and a barely one and a half year old spastically lovable chocolate lab. He’s a lot of work and is totally annoying on his best day. Thank you for making me realize I need to appreciate every second he’s with us. I couldn’t imagine life without him. My daughter would certainly miss the guy too. After all, her first word was dog–it sounds like dah, but she gets it ;)

Lauren     at 5:20 pm

Totally cried when I read this Emily. I also have two dogs, both labs but one is yellow and one chocolate I always love hearing about Huey and Indys shenanigans since we can relate. I’m so glad your fur babies are back where they belong. I couldn’t agree more they drive me nuts sometimes but our house/life wouldn’t be the same without them.

Katie     at 5:31 pm

I was close to tears reading this! We have a yellow lab who will always be our “first baby” (and who our 14 month old real baby just LOVES) and I have experienced those moments of horror when she’s escaped a couple times. So glad you found those sweet furballs safe and sound!

Michelle     at 5:36 pm

As soon as I am done commenting, I’m taking my 2 pups, ages 10 and 9, for the longest walk they could possibly dream of. Yesterday I was so angry at them for eating the frog food that I left on the counter and this morning shooed them off when they had the nerve to wake me up 15 minutes before the alarm clock. But reading your tale (pun intended)gave me a pit in my stomach that I’ve only ever had when they’ve run off for an adventure,made me panic a little bit because I thought you had lost your pups, and made me want to hug both my kids and both my pups.

I’m so glad that they were found!

Renee     at 5:39 pm

you gave me chills and teary eyes… i can’t imagine my life without my dogs and cat as well- everytime they go missing- you described all my thoughts- how they annoy me but yet, i would kill for them to annoy me now and not be gone… ahh perfectly. im so glad those little ladies called Indy’s mommy!

Leanne     at 5:42 pm

Reading this blog post made me realize that my dog has never, ever runaway or “escaped.” Reading all these comments I can’t believe how RARE that is. I’m not trying to brag or anything, it sounds terrifing, losing a dog. Maybe it’s because I live in a rural area with no fence so we just let him (the dog) outside whenever he wants and take him on walks without a leash. I’m glad your doggies are safe!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves     at 5:44 pm

Oh my goodness!! What a frightening experience! I’m so glad they were found and traced back to you.

Liz     at 5:47 pm

This was by far my favorite post you have ever written. (Obviously I’m not happy you went through this but it is such a great reminder about how important our dogs are to us!) thank you for sharing!

Mary     at 5:57 pm

Long time reader and I don’t think I have ever posted before but I cried very happy tears when I read about the phone call. I felt your panic and your relief.

My dog has never gotten out (she’s my first dog as an adult — and I’m 56 — and she’s such a scaredy cat that she would never go out an open gate) but my cat has not come back in a few times. Pure panic!!

anon     at 6:18 pm

Emily,

This touched me so much. When my son was 11 months, we had two large dogs and one of the dogs (a pit bull terrier. She got out one night the exact same way (gate unlatched). We lived off a very busy street and it was 9:00 pm when we discovered she was out. We jumped shaking in the car and everytime we called her name our little boy (who we awakened from a deep sleep) would call in his little voice as well. We found our girl but she had grabbed a small dog and thrown it in the air. The small dog was unharmed but her elderly owner was beside himself. We ended up doing many things for this sweet man over the ensuing years (who hesitantly agreed not to call animal control) but I’ll never forget the panic!

Nikki     at 6:24 pm

Tears!! So happy you found them. I love my two big, energetic, BFF dogs like yours, and couldn’t imagine losing them. Kisses to your pups!

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 6:41 pm

Oh wow, I’m sorry that happened! I would have been absolutely hysterical. The thought of having my dogs (or cat) escape terrifies me. I am SO glad that they are safe, stuck together, and those two girls called you!! That is actually so wonderful that they did it. I’m so happy everyone is home safe and sound!

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac     at 6:44 pm

Teary eyed here! Our dog and cat escaped a few times when I was growing up, it is literally the worst pit-of-your-stomach kind of feeling. I’m so glad you were able to find them, how wonderful and smart those two young girls were.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 6:44 pm

So glad to hear they are OK! My late chocolate lab did a similar thing–and unfortunately, it happened at night and we didn’t end up finding him until the following day. I remember crying myself to sleep that night, just worrying about it and having horrible images in my head. Luckily, someone found him and brought him to a local animal hospital. But I still remember how horrifying the entire experience was!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries     at 6:58 pm

Oh this story made me cry! We have two labs that could easily make this same exact story, so I can relate all too well. I sure do love them, but sometimes they drive me crazy … it’s in moments like this that you realize how much they mean to you. So glad they’re home safe!

Sharon     at 7:00 pm

Oh my gosh! That must’ve been so horrible for you – I would have been a mess, too.

I’m glad your story has a happy ending & that is so cute that they stuck together on their big adventure :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More     at 7:03 pm

So happy they were found, so happy they are okay! I can only imagine how scary it must have been but pets are a huge part of our families and things just wouldn’t be the same without them.

char eats greens     at 7:18 pm

At first I thought this story was going to end with “and they were actually in the house all along” haha, but I’m so happy that they were safe and someone found them!!!

Gwen     at 7:21 pm

Crying. So glad they were safe and sound!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 7:42 pm

beautiful writing! so glad the pups were okay. when i was in high school, my Weimaraner disappeared in the neighborhood & fortunately came home on her own a couple hours later–with a loaf of french bread in her mouth! we don’t have dogs now (only cats) but pets are such an important part of life. :) i’m gonna go cuddle my kitties now!

Samantha     at 7:43 pm

I have so been there…down to the hysterical tears and reflecting on how annoyed I have been with my precious lost pup. What a wonderful ending truly. That kid did amazing good. For her age that was amazingly perceptive. I am thinking she has a parent that will stop for wayward pets.

Lovely story. And yes, the storm today was amazing. Sam

Allison     at 7:50 pm

So glad you found them and that they were unharmed!

Danielle Helena     at 7:57 pm

Oh my gosh, you poor pregnant mama!! You had me tearing up and trying not to laugh out loud while reading this and simultaneously rocking my baby to sleep! I love reading your blog, it’s at the top of my list as you bring me such happiness when I may be having a tough ‘new mom’ kind of day :)

Sarah     at 8:32 pm

Glad your furry babies are home safe.

I would highly recommend you take the dogs to the veterinarian and get them microchipped. When a dog or cat is lost they usually end up at an animal hospital or shelter. Both will check your pet for a microchip. The microchip is registered to you and they can call you right away. 1 in 3 pets will get lost in their lifetime and many don’t make it home. A microchip will increase their chances for a happy reunion.

Ashlee     at 8:39 pm

Tearing up over here. I, too, take for granted my four-legged babies, especially when they are driving me crazy. Definitely going to love them a little extra tonight. So happy you have your babies back home, safe and sound!

Leah M     at 9:30 pm

You brought me to tears. I can imagine the raw emotion you felt today. Very happy to know your pups are safe at home tonight.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance     at 10:03 pm

Oh my god that is the worst feeling ever!! I am so happy that they are okay and back at home where they belong!!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 10:30 pm

My heart was in a flutter reading that! Glad they’re back safe and sound!!

KT     at 12:38 am

Glad your pups are back safe and sound. I used to have a dog that would jailbreak every so often and I remember running around the neighborhood looking for him with that sinking, panicky feeling. I’m so impressed by the two girls that called you to come pick them up. I wonder if it would be a nice gesture for you to call them back and offer them a reward or token of your appreciation? – just a thought.

Kristi     at 1:54 am

So glad you found them! I can imagine the panic you were under knowing they were missing.

Lea     at 3:34 am

This definitely hooked me. So glad your dog made it back. Btw, love the last pic :)

Emily @ Life on Food     at 3:34 am

Oh my goodness, I am so happy you were able to find them. What a scary moment indeed. Glad you are all back together again.

Christine     at 4:41 am

So glad you found them! What a scary few hours. Glad everyone is back together.

Shari     at 4:42 am

So glad they are both okay and you’re all back together again!!

Brittney     at 5:31 am

I just got teary reading this Emily! So glad they are ok! I feel the same way about Clyde, I feel like I don’t always appreciate him as much as I used to before the baby came, and this kind of stuff wakes you up and makes you think about how important dogs are to your family.

JennF     at 6:13 am

So thankful they were safe and sound. You had me in tears!

Ashley N.     at 6:18 am

This brought tears to my eyes. We have two black labs and we use invisible fence which for the most part is a success but the occasional “breaking” through, still scary nonetheless. So glad your pups are back home! It’s unreal how much dogs can impact and are a part of the family, such a special relationship.

Sarah     at 6:22 am

Oh man have I been in your shoes! It is definitely times like those that you realize that dogs really are man (and woman’s) best friend! Thanks for sharing :-)

Katie D.     at 7:32 am

Our dogs (Shiba Inus) are notorious runners (it is their breed). They got loose at my brother-in-laws house last month, in a thunderstorm and it was terrible. I was angry, sobbing, soaking wet, sad, scared, etc. One was about 2 miles away and the other was picked up by a neighbor.

Gosh, that feeling when you realize they are gone is just terrible!!

Meagan     at 7:36 am

Emily! Your writing is so, just, good! I really enjoy reading your blog. Thankfully you found the pups! My heart feels for you and Casey! It would have been so sad if something had happened. And your last comment? That’s what I love about dogs, they are always there for you :)

Caroline     at 7:58 am

This entry needs to go a magazine to be shared more broadly – so well written, went right to my core. Tears dripping on my keyboard. Loved how you still found the humor in Cullen laughing in the backseat. You will find he will begin to be a support for you in tough situations – my daughter constantly helps me through panicky, grumpy or frustrating situations. So weird that you don’t know me at all, and yet I feel like I know your family so well and wish you were my friends!

Caitlin     at 8:16 am

Emily, you’re an amazing writer and I look forward to every single one of your posts- this was beautiful and I have tears in my eyes. We have two cats and they’re our children- several years ago we had our house broken into and one was let out (indoor only) but fortunately found his way home, but I recall my heart dropping upon realizing his disappearance. Oh and Cullen shouting along with you was adorable :)

Leah     at 8:20 am

Huge relief!!! And also a great reminder to put all of the current info on the tags.

Glad they are okay!

Emily @ The Good Era     at 8:32 am

Oh my gosh, this just made me cry! I am so glad to hear they are home safe and you all are okay. It is quiet a terrifying experience and I couldn’t imagine doing it pregnant with a toddler.

Our 1.5 year old pup got loose a month after we moved in the pouring ran and it was the worst 1hr of our life. We eventually found him, leashed up with a stranger who was walking, him with her own dog, until she found his owners (because she could hear us screaming all through the neighborhood)…

To this day my husband and I still say she was an angel because we’ve never seen her since!

Friday Favorites, 2013: Week 35…The Fading of Summer | Okay, Kaye?     at 8:45 am

[...] “happy ending” post…The Great Escape (~~Daily Garnish)…reading this post made me realize how MUCH I love our Izzy-bear!  I would [...]

eliza     at 9:03 am

Ah So stressful! So happy you found them!!

Stephanie     at 9:56 am

SO glad you found them! My dog escaped out of my backyard too–similar situation with the gate (closed but not latched)–I literally felt my heart in my throat as a screamed her name and thankfully found her playing in the neighbor’s yard a few houses down. It’s crazy how they think it’s the funnest thing in the world but it’s so not fun for us as their dog moms. Glad things ended well :)

Sarah     at 9:57 am

So glad they are back home, safe and sound!

Amy     at 10:08 am

Your post brought tears to my eyes and I know ALL to well what it is like to have 2 houdini doggies that escape EVERY fence we have ever had (3 different homes). I could tell so many stories about these two pups but the farthest they were found was 3 miles away once (yikes)! I am so happy to hear yours are safe and sound. Our baby girl (Sweet Dee) got out of the garage in June due to a miscommunication between my husband and I and in a matter of seconds was hit by a huge SUV flying down the street and we were devastated. She thankfully passed quickly with my by her side but definitely the hardest thing to witness and our home has not been the same since. We were careful before but now are SO much more careful… a sad lesson to have to learn. Thankfully your story ended happier :)

Whitney @ Pancakes and Tulips     at 10:16 am

I got all weepy at the end of this post! I’m so happy your pups are ok. I can’t even begin to imagine what I would do if Laverne got away. Our dogs become our best friends. I’m so very happy that everything is great now. I’m also never going to think it’s annoying that 12 year olds have cell phones ever again :)

Melissa     at 10:47 am

Well I’m balling like a baby. :) Having a 15-year-old dog, I know how precious the time is and how fast it goes, especially with kids. So happy everyone is safe and sound. You’re a good dog and kid mamma.

Shannan     at 11:02 am

Ooooh my goodness. My heart is in my throat and there are tears in my eyes. I was so scared for you while reading this! I should have just jumped to the end to know they were okay. MAN! What a morning. I am so, so glad they are home safe. Snuggle them close tonight :)

lexi     at 11:59 am

omg,definitly shed a few tears reading this! my pup has only escaped once, when she had stayed the weekend at my parents house. when i went to pick her up they said she had been missing all day and they had been driving around trying to find her. we talked to a lot of people around town who had tried to catch her (including the police!) but she is very fearful of strangers and no one was able to get close enough. finally she heard us calling and came running to us. It’s so so scary to think you might never see your pup again!

Marty     at 1:01 pm

Tears streaming down my cheeks as I read your post Emily! So happy there is a happy ending to Indy and Huey’s great escape! And cute Cullen’s response! You know Huey and Indy are happy to be home! So sad, abandoned and unwanted animals everywhere (I’m a rescuer). So heartening loving family stories.

Marty     at 1:01 pm

Erin     at 2:03 pm

A woman at the grocery store commented on our dog “Gus” as he was sitting in the back seat with his head out the window. She mentioned that her rescued pit bull had just passed away. I told her how sorry I was and that even on his worst days (very frequent) I don’t know what I’d do without him. Knowing that Pit bulls are very “energetic” she said, “you always wish for them to slow down and behave but once they slow down you wish nothing more than to see them with that same energy again.”
Her comment made me cry in the middle of the store. They can be so so bad but, oh my gosh, what would we do without them.

Great post Emily and I’m so glad that they’re safe and sound.

Mary     at 3:09 pm

I skipped to the end of this post to make sure it was a happy ending before I read the whole thing! I am SO GLAD you found them!

Pets are so special. I was never allowed to have them growing up, and now that I am living on my own I adopted the most cuddly, friendly, sweet cat. I am in love with her and the companionship she provides! So sad when you think about them not being with you forever. I do the same thing you do and just try not the think about it!

Sandy     at 3:19 pm

Emily,
I have enjoyed your blog for many years and am so in love with your son! I can’t wait to see your new little boy and read about his adventures too. I also enjoy your recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Two weeks ago, we had to put our sweet doggie down. She was 14 years old and had liver disease. When she was healthier, my husband often took her for walks at a park near our home. She loved to chase the ducks and squirrels and make friends with other pups. Sometimes, the latch on our gate wouldn’t catch and she would disappear (just like your pups). We always knew where to find her. One day, someone knocked on my door and asked if I owned a dog. She had been hit by a big pickup crossing the 4 lane highway on the way to the park! Two strangers had been nice enough to follow her home and alert me. She had a broken elbow and a concussion but recovered. I am so glad your pups are ok and back home with their loving family! These things happen and I hope none of you feel guilty. You are blessed that someone cared enough to call!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Friday Favorites.     at 3:51 pm

[...] Friday!  We have a really exciting weekend ahead, and – other than the whole missing dogs incident – we had a really nice week that is now behind us.  I have lots of baking and cleaning and [...]

Karina     at 4:28 pm

You really are a great, fantastic writer.
I am patiently waiting to buy a book from you :)!

JC     at 4:41 pm

What a huge scare. I am so so so glad they were found and brought home safely. One of our dogs loves to escape too. Always terrifying.

Jessica     at 2:02 am

Oh girl. Love this post. Your dogs actually inspired me to get sweet Zenith, now three, a big black naughty life-altering lab. Love how much you love those two shitheads :)

Reghan     at 4:43 am

you had me tearing up! so glad you found them. We live on a busy road and my dog has gotten out before when he was only 1 and he was running all over the road and I was out there bawling trying to catch him and asking cars to stop so they didn’t hit him :( I’m paranoid to this day about him getting out on the road again! A couple just came to my door yesterday holding a sweet little girl pup and asking if she was ours saying she was out front running back and forth across the road too. I’m so thankful they picked her up and I hope they found her worried owners as well!!

Andrea     at 9:15 am

Ugh! I sooooo felt your anxiety and full range of emotions. Our old house… (ha ha,that is weird to say that, we just moved last week) was right across the street from a golf course, with the driveway to the condos right there. The few times my dog escaped I had horrifying visions of him going onto the golf fourse and me having to follow and being arrested for trespassing.. totally irrational eh? Luckily the little turd is a sniffer and was easy to corner with stinky treats. Heart goes out to you on this.

mollie     at 9:28 pm

oh my god, this made me cry and jump up to squeeze my dog! so glad they were found safe and sound!

Melissa     at 6:26 am

Whew. I am so hormonal and emotional (16 weeks pregnant) so while reading this at work I’m sniffling LOL. This should come with a disclaimer! ;)

My husband and I got a dog last July. I have *never* raised a dog from a puppy. Growing up, we’ve always had cats. Dixie is the puppy we got last July. She is a beagle/Jack Russell/some kind of hound mix, and although she drives me absolutely bonkers sometimes, I don’t want to think of our house without her!! I so get what you mean! I’m glad they were okay.

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 6:38 am

I’m so glad they were okay!! I would have been worried sick. The one time one of my parents dogs ran out was one of the scariest nights. Thankfully he was found okay too! :)

Katie @ Balanced RD     at 3:49 pm

That is the WORST feeling!!! I’m so glad you found them! It is so cool that they stick together when the run away–it would have been even worse to try to find them separately!

Rachel     at 7:52 am

I know how horrible a feeling is when you lose a pet. Your story reminded me of how distraught I was when my indoor cat escaped last Thanksgiving. I was carrying her in her cat carrier when it broke and in a complete panic she bolted. I had no idea where she ran, no idea if she would come back or had an idea of how to come back (I’m in a second story apartment), and no idea if she has ever been outside before (I adopted her when she was 4). I spend all day walking around looking for her. I finally stopped when it was dark. i kept thinking about how much she annoyed me at times but also how much I wasn’t ready to say goodbye. At 5:30 the next morning I was woken up by a pawing at my front door, and she walked in like this was completely normal. I don’t think I’ve ever been as happy or cried as much as I did then. It is a horrible feeling to think your pet could be laying on the side of the road somewhere. I was right there with you and all the emotions you were going through. I’m so glad your story had a happy ending!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 12:48 pm

Ugh my pup went missing one time when it was pouring. I was running around like a crazy person, my work clothes got soaked, and I swore she was either miles away from the house (into the national park behind our yard) or dead on the side of the street. After my unplanned morning job through the rain, I finally found her sitting on the neighbor’s front porch. Heaven forbid she get wet… while I was screaming her name for the last 40 minutes (which definitely felt like hours). Thank goodness she was ok, but ugh!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed Reply:

Unplanned morning JOG*

Sara     at 8:28 am

So glad you found them! We have two large dogs (and a four-month-old) and they drive me absolutely batty. They used to be the center of our universe, but since our son was born, it’s just different. I never imagined I could feel any differently towards them (similarly to how you described in this post). But gosh I would be so upset if something happened to them. Thanks for the reminder! I can’t wait until our son can play with them!

Irene     at 11:49 am

OMG you are the best writer ever, I was laughing and crying and smiling while reading this. I’m SO glad they are home safe now.

Cynthia Scott Pascual     at 1:36 am

Hi,Emily!

I am so happy that your pups are safe and sound (I call ALL doggies pups/puppies)! Honestly, I am paranoid with my Bruiser after my sweet Joe unwittingly got out. I found out the same way you did, I was calling him back in & saw the gate wide open. I know that stomach drop and panic all too well…I looked everywhere, but a few hours later the animal control called & told me he had been killed, hit by a car. My daughter & I still cry & this was 7 years ago!

Since we rescued Bruiser when he was 8 weeks, we have been SOOO paranoid about the gates, ALWAYS checking before we let him out. Even though he has his tags, I purchased the TAGG Pet Tracking System & I love it!

It will send me an alert (text and e-mail) if he leaves the safety zone I designated & I can tack him corner by corner, if necessary. My daughter is set up to get an alert as well. It just snaps tight onto his collar, the charge lasts about 30 days (is waterproof as well)& the base/charger plugs right into the wall. I believe you can track up to 4 pets on one base & some also use it for their kids, backpacks, etc.

Anyhow, sorry for the length of this comment, but the TAGG really gives me extra peace of mind (BTW, I don’t work for them, just love the product)! Nothing can keep any of us safe 100% of the time (I wish, especially with our children!), but I don’t EVER want to go through that again, that’s for sure!

Congrats on the new little Malone on the way & Cullen just gets more adorable every day, I’m sure he will be an awesome big brother!

Take care of yourself & best of luck with your impending arrival!

Rocio     at 11:39 am

Your post made me cry because I get SO scared whenever my puppies escape my house. It is very rare but everytime I don’t hear them I get SO scared.