Labor Day Love.

Here it is Thursday, and I am just now finally coming down from what was a wonderful weekend spent with family.  Saturday afternoon, both my sisters and my nephew arrived, and we spent the next four days in a whirlwind of playgrounds, delicious meals, and Seattle sights.  It was perfect.

Other than when we flew my mom out for the weekend to help us move to our new house in May, we haven’t had any visitors here in Seattle since last Christmas!  And this was our first set of visitors in our new space, which made it extra fun.

I didn’t capture all of our adventures, as I wanted to soak up as much family time as possible, but I did lug my big camera along to a few of my favorite places.  Sarah has actually lived out here with us for the past two summers, but my big sister has only been out here twice, and both times were for winter holidays.  So she has only seen Seattle in the cold, gloomy season, and I’ve never had a chance to show her how incredible it is here during the summer months.

We were blessed with absolutely perfect late summer weather, and were able to get around and do so much.  We spent Monday morning enjoying a hazy summer day at Golden Gardens beach.

Cullen and Jonah are just four months apart in age, and this was the first time you could really see them develop a relationship of their own.  They communicated clearly with each other, danced, sang, laughed, and had fun causing all sorts of trouble as a duo.

The whole time they were here, any time I went into Cullen’s room after his nap or in the morning, he skipped right past “hi mom” or “good morning” and went straight to “Jonah?”  This gives me hope that someone is definitely ready for a brother!

Throwing rocks together into the Puget Sound.  Better than throwing rocks or sand at the moms, right?

Toddlerhood sure does come with it’s challenges, but overall I have found this age (so far) to be such a joy.  They are both so happy to be exploring the world and discovering new things, and it’s so neat to watch Cullen’s personality come through as he relates to other kids.  I was happy that, unlike a few months ago, there were very few meltdowns over things like sharing and attention.

They look and act almost nothing alike, but they are two peas in a pod.

This is the first summer we have spent in Seattle without Sarah, and I sure have missed her.  I think she will end up out this way soon enough, and holding onto that hope helps ease the distance for now.  Cullen adores her.  I’m a big fan too.

A loving photo with mom.  Sigh.

Slightly better.

Our crew, minus Casey (who acted as photographer).  We picked the absolute right day to be at the beach, and practically had the place to ourselves.  Perfection.

Another one of my favorite family outings this weekend was to Ella Bailey Park.  I think this park is the hidden gem of Seattle – never crowded, and yet high up on a hill with some of the best views our city has to offer.

So beautiful it looks fake, and yet so real and so much fun.

Monday evening, Casey stayed home on baby monitor duty so the three of us could enjoy a dinner out together.  We had a nice night out at Café Flora – one of my favorite vegetarian spots.  Such a treat!

We also spent a good amount of time at home, just enjoying our space and the chance to all be together.

We spent our last evening together at another pretty park, watching the boys dig in sandboxes and run around in the open grassy space.  It was really nice that Casey was able to join us for almost everything we did too.  Always more fun with dad around!

Everyone indulged me for a final family photoshoot before our visit came to an end.

The original purpose of this visit was for Rebecca to make one more big trip before both of our families grow again this fall.  It will probably be a while before either of us is able to travel to the other again for some time, given that we’ll both have newborns (and toddlers!).

Check us out two years ago, pregnant with Cullen and Jonah, and celebrating Rebecca’s baby shower – 16 weeks and 36 weeks along!

And here we are this time – 35 weeks and 32 weeks along with two more boys!  Strange to be the one who will (mostly likely) have the first baby this time.  I’m excited that our boys will all have cousins so close in age!

My high school yearbook quote was, “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard” (by A.A. Milne) – and that feels very true today.

Missing them all dearly now, but so grateful for a wonderful long weekend spent together.

Caroline     at 9:56 pm

How fun that you’ll have cousins the same age. I have a cousin 5 months younger than me and we talk almost every day!

Theresa     at 10:24 pm

What a wonderful weekend! The Seattle weather looks amazing! I can’t wait to visit there again someday soon! You all look great! The boys looks so sweet playing together, having cousins close in age is the best! Also, PS your sister Sarah looks great and I like her glasses.

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 10:36 pm

Didn’t know your sister was pregnant again!Madness! The two boys are so incredibly cute together, they look so happy, oh to be a toddler again : )

Lauren @ Dash of Soul     at 10:54 pm

What a beautiful thing for you to be pregnant with your sister twice! You mommas both look gorgeous and glowing! :)

Ashley     at 11:09 pm

Having cousins close in age is awesome. It’s a shame you all don’t live closer. I recently traveled with my 23 month old and newborn and all I have to say is “I’m glad it’s over.” :)

Kristi     at 11:38 pm

Those are some of the cutest pictures of Cullen and your nephew. I can’t believe you and your sister are both pregnant at the same time, not once, but twice.

Emily @ Life on Food     at 3:32 am

How fun that you are both expecting at the same time again. Glad you had a fun weekend. The boys playing together is so precious. And I love that quote!

Emily     at 3:49 am

I always get so excited to see new posts from you but strangely, this last one didn’t show up in Feedly? Just wanted to give a heads up in case the problem just isn’t a fluke! (I found the post via twitter)

Tiffany Reply:

Hey Emily, mine showed up in feedly…

Loved this post!! So adorable that you and your sister are expecting together! :)

Emily Reply:

Thanks Tiffany – it did show up now, must just have a delay! Thanks!

Thanks for letting me know!!

Thanks for letting me know!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 4:17 am

Looks like a great holiday — Cullen is getting so big!
Have a great weekend!

superfresh babypants     at 4:39 am

I love that dress and cannot believe you and your sister are pregnant together again!!! That is so crazy!

Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family     at 4:49 am

That looks like the perfect weekend with family :) I know how hard it is to be so far away.

Lauren @ The Highlands Life     at 5:09 am

What a great visit! And I seriously can never get over Cullen’s little pot belly. It’s the cutest! And so impressed that you seem to snag the perfect pictures. I especially live the one of him lying in the grass. Framer for sure.

Shari     at 5:11 am

What a special time it sounds – and looks – like you all had!

Michele     at 6:01 am

What a perfect family weekend! I’m glad you got to enjoy so much time together. My sisters and I have a combined 7 children that were born within 4 years. Our kids call themselves “The Cousins” and love each other dearly. It’s so much fun to see them together!

Chasity Dix     at 6:11 am

Cullen’s big belly cracks me up! It’s so stinking cute. You and your sisters all look beautiful and I’m so glad that you’re family is willing and able to make these trips out to see you, Casey, and Cullen! Crossing my fingers for you that Sarah comes back to Seattle again soon (permanently?!).

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 6:54 am

That was such a sweet post! I’m glad you got to spend some quality time with your family and it’s so neat how you and Rebecca are due so close together! Jonah and Cullen look like they’re having a lot of fun! My best friend growing up was my cousin who was almost a year and a half older than me, but we were so close. Cousins are the best :) Glad both your boys will have other boy cousins close in age!

Amanda     at 7:02 am

Cutest pictures of Cullen and Jonah! Looks like a great family weekend! :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries     at 7:57 am

Cullen’s little pop belly…gahh I just love it. :) How special that you and your sister can be pregnant together TWICE!

Sarah     at 8:55 am

So cute that you and your sister are pregnant at the same time again! Also, I have cousins (who are sisters) named Emily and Rebecca. And my name is Sarah, ha ha! What a lovely family weekend :)

Caitlin     at 8:56 am

I envy how close you are to your 2 sisters. The photo of Cullen looking down at his belly kills me- he’s adorable!

Padma0655     at 9:04 am

Is Jonah going to have a little sister or a brother? I feel like you guys are family and I’ve never even met you. Thanks for sharing your lives with us. Cullen’s going to be a great big brother!!! :-)

Little brother!!

Katie     at 9:23 am

I love it! Such cute pictures! :)

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac     at 9:56 am

I’ve always been so jealous of people with cousins close in age!! How fun for Cullen and your new borns!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 10:25 am

Looks like fun to me!!! :) And it’s photos like these that make me so wish I had a sister. My bro is great, but c’mon! Pregnant at the same time — TWICE?! That’s fantastic right there!

Ashlee@HisnHers     at 12:12 pm

That is so fun that you and your sister are pregnant together again! I cant wait to see Malone #2! Yall make the cutest babies

Christina     at 12:23 pm

I am going through an emotional crisis right now (the details of which I will spare you with). Let’s just say I am feeling very helpless about so many people who are leaving my life right now. This unexpected quote on this post really puts things in perspective and helped ease today’s heartache. Thank you!

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard” (by A.A. Milne)”

I hope things get better sooner than later! I love that quote, and glad it came at a good time for you. :)

Meagan     at 1:04 pm

I love all the pictures! What fun you all had! :)

Ingunn     at 1:21 pm

Aaw, what a sweet family reunion!

Totally off-topic, did you know that Carmelita is closing at the end of the month? Noooooo! So get it while you still can. :(

YES! SO bummed!!

Jv     at 2:20 pm

Sarah seems like such a great aunt. As an aunt with no children of my own, I can only imagine how much these visits mean to her, too.

Side note: Sarah has such great style!

Sarah G Reply:

Yes! i want to talk about Sarah. All of you look wonderful of course, and the boys are precious, but Sarah stole the show here. She’s really shining, more beautiful than ever. Love her dresses/boots/new hair. Is she wearing your 16-month pregnancy photo skirt in the recent date night photo?! Sharing clothes is just so…. sisterly. Love love love.

Also…. saw your tweet about baby #2 coming sooner rather than later…. I’ll place y bets on that! Big healthy baby in there, for sure. You look like you’re in great shape, too. :)

Sarah is totally adorable. I aspire to be half as fashionable and well-dressed as she is. :) And yep, same dress! Haha, I didn’t realize that when I posted it.

She is both a great aunt, and totally stylish. :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance     at 11:34 pm

There are adorable! I love how kids have their own little world and no one seems to understand it but them :)

Niki     at 5:18 pm

Ahhh how nice to have family in town for the weekend! I haven’t been to Ella Bailey Park, I will have to look for it before our gorgeous Seattle summer ends.

Jo     at 2:30 am

It baffles me that a person that literally writes for a living cannot differentiate, in her mother tongue, between “it’s” and “its”. It’s not the first time either. You make this mistake all the time and its repeated occurrence (get it?!) makes me think it’s not just an accident or a typo. Which, as English is not my first language, makes me kind of sad.

Of course it is a typo. I try to be careful and proof read everything I write, but things are going to slip through here and there. I’m sorry it bothers you so much!

Sally Reply:

Since Emily is keeping it classy, I will say this… you need to get a fucking life.

Tiffany     at 10:32 am

Hi Emily!

I really loved this post! Would you mind sharing your everyday meals with us? Possibly just a snap shot of lunch and dinner with a description of what it was. I find your meals to be so creative and just seeing what you made without a recipe inspires me to make different and creative meals throughout the week. Thanks!!

linda     at 1:09 pm

Hi! wondering where you got your skirt in the last photo? is it maternity :)

Old Navy maternity!

Holly     at 7:36 pm

Love seeing pictures of your sisters. You all look so much alike!

Leah     at 8:29 am

Beautiful photos! Glad you all had a great visit (and superb weather!). :)

Mikayla     at 3:33 pm

Sarah’s short hair looks gorgeous!! And so do you, love that first dress!

Melanie     at 4:46 pm

Oh my goodness Emily, this post sums up how I’m feeling to a t. I’m 33 weeks along and I’m really, really slowing down these days.