Fall Festivities.

Two quick notes:

1.  Sorry for the downtime and slow load times these past few days.  We are aware of it and trying to get it fixed quickly – thanks for your patience!

2.  Congrats to the winner of last week’s giveaway – Jessica, who said “I love the white cake doughnut with white frosting and rainbow sprinkles!”  Me too, Jessica, me too.  Happy donut baking!

As anxious as I am to have a baby sooner than later, after seeing the forecast for this past weekend, I was hoping my little friend would hold off until Monday (spoiler alert: he did).  We had absolutely perfect sunny, fall weather and we more than made the most of it!

On Friday night, Casey and I had our very last date night out (dinner and a Fiona Apple concert!) – at least for a while.  We have really tried to pack a lot into these last few days and weeks, as this time around we know what to expect out of life with a newborn (read: not much!).

Saturday we were off for a morning of fall fun!  I really wanted to go pumpkin and apple picking this year, but knowing this was likely our last baby-free weekend, I knew we’d have to either pick one or fit both into one trip.  We ended up going to The Farm in Snohomish, which turned out to be the perfect spot!

We started by walking around the farm for a bit and checking out all they had to offer – including a fun petting zoo area for the kids.  I want a kitten!

And a sheep!

We piled into a big tractor wagon and took a ride out to the apple picking orchard.  Despite what his face looked like during the ride, Cullen absolutely loved it.  Each time we stopped to let someone off or on, he yelled “more ride!”

The wagon ride was much bumpier than I had expected, and I was convinced it was going to send me into labor.  Too much bouncing!

We got to the apple picking spot and decided to get Honeycrips – my favorite!  Earlier this summer we went blueberry picking, and while Cullen loved it, he wasn’t willing to put any berries into the actual bucket – only his mouth.  Apple picking was much more successful!

He was so into it and just kept going back for apple after apple.  Casey and I barely picked any, for fear that we’d end up with 100 apples after our little harvester was finished.

He’d pick one and immediately run over to the wheelbarrow to put it into our bag.  Way too adorable.

And way too gorgeous!  Nothing like being out in the country surrounded by colorful leaves and miles of cornfields with beautiful snow-capped mountains in the background.  I love Washington!

I also love these two.

Once our apples were picked and paid for, we moved on to the second half of our adventure – the pumpkin patch!

The only thing Cullen liked more than ripping apples off of trees was finding the perfect pumpkin!

He was all business and took it very seriously.  I could barely get him to look up for a quick picture!

Gotcha!

Our plan was to pick out four pumpkins for dad, mom, Cullen, and baby.  So Casey and I picked out the big ones and let Cullen find the smaller two.  But he was so into picking them up and putting them in the wheelbarrow that we kept ending up with like ten pumpkins and had to unload them several times.  He’d walk up with each one yelling, “heavy!” – ridiculous.

Eventually it was time to pack up and pay for our pumpkin family.  Now that they are home we have to visit them several times a day on our front porch.  Who knew pumpkins would be such a hit this year?

Our perfect fall weather continued through the day, and we ended our evening camped out at Gasworks Park for a picnic with friends.  Cullen fell and got a weird shoulder injury (and stopped using his left arm!), and I threatened to take him to the ER (first trip!).  Casey convinced me to give him Motrin and let him sleep on it.  He was right, and Cullen woke up 100% normal at 5:30am on Sunday.  Thank goodness!  Kids are scary.  And pregnant hormones are even scarier.

Capture1

Sunday was another gorgeous one, and we spent our morning eating pancakes and looping Greenlake – hoping to encourage our little fella to come out and join us.  I also finally met local friend Devon after being virtual buddies for two years!

Capture2

We spent Sunday’s naptime scrubbing, organizing, and scouring every surface in our house.  Toilets are scrubbed, laundry is done, diapers are clean, the shower has been bleached, and the floors are sparkling.  The infant car seat is in, and we are ready!

Our weekend ended at Golden Gardens park, sitting with our feet in the sand watching an absolutely gorgeous sunset.

Just before we left, I noticed an area of the beach roped off with caution tape and some people nearby taking pictures.  I wandered over and saw this absolutely precious seal pup snoozing away in the sand.  I could have watched him all day long – there is nothing cuter!

A perfect way to end a wonderful weekend – perhaps our last as a family of three!

Kim Lugg     at 11:56 am

Ahhhh! I grew up going to The Farm every fall! Many of my friends still work there! Reading this post brought back so many great memories of pumpkins, hot cider, corn mazes, and hay rides! It’s so pretty out there! Looks like you guys had a great weekend! Hope to meet the little man soon! So excited for you guys.

Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight     at 12:03 pm

Cullen’s “heavy” picture is the cutest!!!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 12:20 pm

Eek so close now! The perfect relaxed weekend…apart from the cleaning but at least you’re all prepared now! Thanks for the update on the slow loading issues, seems to be better today!

Laura     at 12:21 pm

My son’s a week younger than yours, he also says “heavy” a lot when he’s carrying random things, and we also have a collection of little pumpkins and gourds because we have to buy one or two whenever we see them! He loves carrying them around and putting them in his trucks.

So funny! Must be a two year old thing. :) I’m actually surprised at some of the stuff he can carry around – it IS pretty heavy, haha!

Allison     at 12:21 pm

Hi Emily, I’ve been thinking about you this week. Every time I see you haven’t posted I think “ooo maybe she’s having the baby!” I started reading the blog when you were pregnant with Cullen and I loved all the updates of him as a newborn. I can’t wait to hear about the new little one. Best of luck when the day does come. :)

Danelia Reply:

Same thing here! that´s too funny!
hoping everything will be fine when comes the real baby birthday!

Thanks so much, Allison!

Lara     at 12:22 pm

Great photos and such a perfect Seattle weekend! For the past two years we have been to Carleton Farms but I think this year we will have to try The Farm! Thanks for the recommendation.

So excited for you guys!

Kat     at 12:25 pm

My 2 year old nephew says heavy when he is the one being carried sometimes. So cute :)

Sarah G Reply:

I love this! *Big Smiles*

Emily (Dish on the Run)     at 12:32 pm

What gorgeous pictures, Emily. Here’s hoping the next update is a newborn picture and a report that you are all healthy and well and happy. :-)

Amber     at 12:37 pm

We pick apples and pumpkins at the farm too! Perfect spot :) Snohomish is so beautiful…our wedding venue is just around the corner from The Farm as well!

Carolyn     at 12:38 pm

Looks like a blast! My company is hosting a fall festival in a few weeks! I can’t wait. :)

PS Love Cullen’s shirt. Pretty sure my son is wearing the same one today. From H & M, right? They get me every time.

Same shirt! The H&M stuff is WAY too cute right now! Dangerous.

jesse     at 12:39 pm

oh! we’ve been debating the apple/pumpkin picking and can’t quite make up our minds. but cullen’s expressions make me really want to take atticus!

Andrea     at 12:51 pm

It was a beautiful weekend… Here’s to a beautiful October (as I look out at the intermittent rain) lol
Wishing you a healthy and productive week. ;)

Here comes the sun! :)

Ella     at 1:17 pm

When are you due? I keep thinking it’s my last weekend with just my 20 month old too… and then… nothing! I’m currently 8 days overdue oh my! That looks like a wonderful weekend :)

I am due tomorrow! EIGHT days! Ack. Sending labor thoughts your way!! Good luck, mama!

Theresa     at 1:21 pm

I LOVE seal pups! They’re adorable! Speaking of adorable, please tell me you got a family picture at the Apple Orchard in your matching plaid! Seriously, so cute. I love the elbow patches on Cullen’s shirt. And of course he loves pumpkins, all of us October babies do! What a great weekend.

No picture of the three of us this year – boo! Should have asked someone to take one. Next time!

Lyn Reply:

You can do one on your porch with the pumpkin family now and then again in a couple of weeks.

Meri @ SGH     at 2:04 pm

oh my goodness, the cuteness! i love that picture of the little man in the big ole cap! so adorable! i’m so excited about your new addition and can’t wait to hear about him! :) :)
PS – you guys are practically my heroes for how much you’ve been able to do this summer/early fall while being pregnant!!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change     at 2:21 pm

I love the pictures out at the farm! My husband and I will be going apple picking this weekend! Can’t wait! So excited for your expanding family soon!! Can’t wait to read all about it!

Shira     at 2:32 pm

I, too, keep checking to see if you’re in labor yet! I’m a frequent reader since your pre-motherhood days and just wanted to comment to say good luck!

Malia     at 2:34 pm

Beautiful post Emily.

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac     at 2:58 pm

You’re so close!!!

Also – the picture of Cullen in that black baseball hat — too cute for words!!!!

Leslie     at 3:18 pm

What struck me most about this great post and pictures was how extremely pregnant you are!! It appears that #2 son is going to be a big fellow! May your labor be as easy and smooth as possible. Can’t wait for the big news!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 3:43 pm

Looks like a wonderful weekend! Love apple picking — and honeycrisps!

I also love Cullen in the baseball cap — too cute!

Tiffany W.     at 4:03 pm

so great! we are moving back to the Seattle area in March (after a two year stint in S. Korea) and your posts always make me look forward to getting back there! We have an almost 2 year old this time around and I can’t wait to take her to all these fun places! So fun!

Caroline     at 4:05 pm

It sounds like you had a really great weekend stuffed full of fantastic fall activities!!

NancyLee     at 5:04 pm

Dear Emily – I enjoy your blogs on your family. And when you expressed your concern about Cullen’s shoulder injury, it came to me immediately that a nice herbal fomentation to his shoulder would be so helpful. And then I realized that you might really enjoy taking a family herbalist course after you get settled with your new little one. You can learn to take care of your own family and I bet you’d really like to do that. It’s at the School of Natural Healing – the intro course. http://www.snh.cc/Family_Herbalist.html

padma     at 5:07 pm

Casey and cullen in their plaid shirts are super adorable.

On a sidenote, I am so ready to move to Seattle. It seems like the most gorgeous place ever. I miss having real seasons, especially since fall is my favorite, and I live in a state where it’s only hot and hotter.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 7:22 pm

Those are the most beautiful pictures! It looks like such an amazing weekend! You look amazing and I can’t wait to “meet” the new little addition! :)

Brigid     at 8:09 pm

Oh my gosh, Cullen’s one finger petting the kitten is hilarious!!

Jill     at 8:23 pm

OK, I’m going to admit I’ve entered my “stalk Emily on twitter” phase, hoping to hear news about you going into labor. I remember being very emotionally on edge during Cullen’s birth, despite of course never having met you. Ah, the strange connections the internet/blogs create!

In a very non-stalker way, I wish you all the best and I can’t wait to see the little guy!

Lyn Reply:

I was thinking the same thing Jill. I don’t think I’ve ever spent that much time on twitter.

Lynne in NC     at 2:47 am

Great photos of your time at the farm. It looks like all three of you enjoyed your day.
Congratulations on the birth of your son.
Looking forward to photos of your family of four — when time allows. ;)

Erica @ mrandmrsggrowveggies.com     at 6:01 am

I love the fall pictures. You look so energetic for being due so soon. I can’t wait to take my son to the pumpkin patch, although at only 10 months he won’t really enjoy it. Sending prayers for a smooth and swift delivery your way.

Emily     at 6:48 am

Cullen is so cute! On average how many photos do you take of a particular day/event?? I legit snapped 108 photos of my 12 month old holding apples when we went apple picking lol. Am I the only one that is so ridiculous?!?!?!

Ummmm I took 400 pictures at the farm on Saturday. :)

Sara     at 6:57 am

I went strawberry picking a week before I gave birth to my son! We had to take a bumpy wagon ride too and my husband was so worried I’d give birth in the strawberry field. Ha!

Right!?! It was SO bumpy, haha!

Irene     at 7:52 am

OMG we were at the Farm on Saturday too! I wish I could have met you, you are like a local celebrity to me lol! Did you try the food? We had a corn dog, farm fries, corn AND an apple cider donut. Good lord, I needed to be wheeled out of there myself. It was almost too warm on Saturday and quite a workout to keep my one year old happy and not running away. :)

By the time we were hungry the line for food tickets was outrageous. I was so sad to miss the cider donuts! Had to settle for one of our picked apples until we got home. :)

Leah     at 9:31 am

the wheelbarrow “loaner” is a perfect idea! I’ve never seen that at the PYO farms near me. It’s been a great apple season this year. :)

Oh man they have that at all the ones I’ve been to our here — critical for picking with a toddler! :)

Leah Reply:

I will suggest it at the farm I volunteer at! :) Such a great idea. :) (and makes for cute photos too!)

Ashley     at 1:33 pm

Such great photos! I just love fall…

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves     at 12:55 pm

How fun that you all went apple and pumpkin picking together! They’re the perfect family bonding activities. Cullen’s antics are just adorable. All the best and happy fall!

Val     at 5:48 pm