Favorite Baby Things: Take Two!

As a blogger who writes about parenting, I think of the questions I get asked the most is  — where did you get that?  From high chairs to strollers to sippy cups, parents are always searching for the best items to fit with both their family and their budget.

The thing about second babies is that they need much, much less.  In fact, I bought Graham almost nothing new prior to his birth.  But since his arrival I’ve found some new favorite things I didn’t use (or know about!) the first time around, and so I thought I’d share them with you guys.  It’s the holiday season, so maybe you’re looking for gift ideas for a new mom or dad in your life.  Or maybe you are a new parent yourself!  Either way, I hope it is useful.

I’ve written plenty here (and on Babble!) before about some of our favorite baby and toddler goods.  This list includes one or two things we used last time that we’re still finding invaluable this time around.  But mostly, it’s all new to this second round of parenting a new baby.  Here are my favorite new items for babies (and parents!):

BABY CARRIERS

1.  Ergobaby Carrier & Infant Insert

This qualifies as both an old favorite and a new favorite.  I used the Original Ergobaby carrier with Cullen, and he practically lived in it.  I didn’t have the infant insert, so I used a handy blanket roll-up trick (that I demonstrated in this video) instead.  I figured it worked just as well!  Ignorance is bliss?

This time around, I was lucky enough to get to sample a number of different baby carriers for a roundup piece I did over on Babble.  This included the Organic Ergo with Infant Insert – Bundle of Joy.  Now that I’ve had a chance to actually use the infant insert, I love it!

While my blanket trick provided the needed boost under baby’s bum, the insert provides a lot of extra side and back padding that I was missing with Cullen.  I find that using the infant insert, I feel much more comfortable having Graham outside when it’s cold or windy, as he’s protected on all sides and snuggled down deep and cozy in the carrier.  I am sad that he’s almost outgrown it already!

2.  J.J. Cole Stretch Agility Carrier

This is another carrier I got to sample from the company, and I absolutely love it.  It is similar to a Moby Wrap in that it’s best as a newborn carrier and is made of stretchy, thin fabric that wraps around the baby.  But unlike the Moby, the Agility carrier has a supportive back panel sewn to two loops that wrap around the front, rather than a yard of bulky fabric that is confusing and hard to put on in public.

Capture

Putting this on could not be easier, and Graham fits into it so snugly.  I love wearing it in the house when he is fussy, and I often throw it into my diaper bag to take with me in case I need to wear him during a play date or trip out of the house.  Love, love, love this.  (Bonus points for being much more affordable than some of the other carriers).

CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES

Since Graham and Cullen were born in the exact same season (and luckily were similar sizes!), I didn’t really need to buy him any new clothes.  It is so nice to be able to reuse everything we already have!  But we did get some gifts from family and friends, and through that I discovered some new-to-me brands and products…

1.  Magnificent Baby Clothing & Accessories

I discovered this brand when I was in a Seattle baby boutique, looking for a “coming home” outfit for Graham to wear home from the hospital.  Moms – are you ready for this?  Instead of snaps or a zipper, the closures on the footies and onesies are actually MAGNETS.  I feel like you have to see it in action to understand how awesome it is – you literally just bring the two pieces of fabric together and it automatically closes itself tight.  Absolute genius.

The fabric is soft and comes in adorable patterns and an assortment of different styles.  I bought these kite pajamas for Graham to wear home from the hospital, as well as the elephant set pictured above.

2.  Zutano Baby Fleece Booties

Without a doubt this is the baby item I am asked most about these days.  My sister sent these to me as a welcome gift to Graham, and he wears them almost every day.  They are soft and warm and fit him perfectly.  Most importantly, they stay on his feet.  Any mother knows that finding socks or booties that do not slip off of baby feet is impossible.  These snap at the ankle and could not possibly fall off.  I love them!

I have several friends who have picked up a pair after seeing Graham’s, and I already bought some myself as a gift to another new baby.  I will definitely be buying more of these in bigger sizes as he grows!

3.  Newborn Cloth Diapers

I’ve had a lot of people ask me if I’m planning to use cloth diapers with Graham, as well as if we’re still using them for Cullen.  The answers are yes and yes, and I’m planning to write a separate post entirely on cloth diapering two kids.  But for the purposes of this post, I thought I’d mention that I’m trying out newborn cloth diapers this time around!

IMG_2719 (640x428) (640x428)

Last time, I started cloth diapering Cullen around 12 weeks old, and I was using regular sized diapers (with snaps adjusted down to the smallest setting).  But I started Graham in cloth diapers almost immediately, since I have a small stash of newborn diapers on hand.  My favorite newborn diapers are the Charlie Banana Extra Small diapers, the Little Bee Co. Bitty Bee diapers, and the Bummis Tini Fit diapers.  So tiny and adorable!

4.  Aden + Anais Bamboo Swaddle Blankets

I used these last time too, but they got so much use with Cullen that I needed new ones for Graham.  I know a lot of people register for and buy the traditional muslin swaddle blankets, but let me assure you – it’s all about the bamboo.  These are the softest, most cuddly blankets you have ever felt, and I use them for absolutely everything.  I keep one in my diaper bag, one on Graham’s boppy lounger, and one in his pack n play so they are always handy.  Cullen ended up eventually turning these into his security blankets because he loved them so much.

ODDS & ENDS

1.  Carseat Canopy

I don’t know if this is a new product, or just something I didn’t know about when Cullen was a baby.  But as soon as I saw my friend Christin’s, I knew I needed it too.  I spent the first week of Graham’s life draping big blankets over the top of his carseat whenever we were out.  It was cold and rainy outside, and I wanted to protect him from harsh air, as well as germs in places like the grocery store or pediatrician’s office.  But the blankets would blow open or fall off, and it was all just sort of clunky and clumsy.

This carseat canopy attaches to the carseat handle, and drapes a thick blanket over the front and back to provide perfect protection.  I leave it on there all the time, and it’s easy to just flip the front back when I need to access the seat or let Graham look around.  I bought one of these for my sister when her little guy arrived – perfect for New England winter!

2.  J.J.Cole Original BundleMe

Another carseat accessory!  We don’t get ridiculously cold temperatures here in Seattle (although it is freezing this week!), but it’s still plenty cold for being extra cautious with a newborn in the winter.  When Cullen was a baby, we just piled blankets on his carseat and kept him warm that way, but they often fell off and got dirty (or lost!) and I always worried about keeping him warm enough.

For Graham, I have the J.J.Cole Bundleme, and it has eliminated all of that stress and worry.  It fits snugly into my carseat, and there is a soft faux shearling lining that he cuddles into while we’re out riding around.  The top unzips all the way back so I can get him in easily, and then I fold it back onto his lap to keep him warm when we’re out.  I haven’t used it on anything but the carseat yet, but it can also be used in the stroller eventually!

Updated: Several of you left comments that the Bundleme is potentially unsafe to use in a carseat, so I wanted to make sure to update this so parents can make informed decisions!  I’ll be looking into this before we continue to use it (or we might just move it to the stroller!).  Thanks!

3.  Motorola MBP43-2 Video Monitor

I mentioned way back when in a pregnancy update that I was considering getting a new baby monitor, but I don’t think I ever shared what we decided.  As luck (?) would have it, our Angelcare monitor ended up dying on us (and then got recalled – scary!) so the decision was sort of made for us.

We ended up choosing this Motorola video monitor package from BabiesRUs, that comes with one parent unit and two cameras.  We have one camera set up in Cullen’s room and the other in Graham’s, and we’re able to set our parent unit to a “scan” setting that pans between the two rooms every ten seconds.  Right now Graham is still sleeping in our room, so I mostly just use it for Cullen so far.  But I have had them both napping on a handful of (glorious) occasions where I’ve been able to use the scan feature – it seem to work perfectly!

Capture

My favorite feature is that we can pan around the room – up, down, and side to side.  So if Cullen has moved out of the frame, I can actually move the camera to follow and find him and see what he’s doing.  Creepy and wonderful at the same time.

4.  Britax B-Ready Stroller Adapter

A stroller adapter might seem like a weird thing to include here, but it’s worth mentioning since I’m really glad I have it!  I already shared all the details on our stroller in this post, so I won’t get into all of that again.  Eventually, once Graham is big enough to go into a regular stroller seat, we’ll use the second seat below so both kids can stroll together.

But once we got home from the hospital I quickly realized that it would be really nice to have the option to put Graham’s carseat on the stroller as well.  The B-Ready has an attachment that allows you to put in infant seat down below the main stroller seat – perfect for tucking baby away since he can’t see much in there yet anyway.

Most of the time when we are out, I plan to wear Graham in a baby carrier.  But there are times when it’s definitely more ideal to just leave him in the carseat, like quick trips, bad weather, or during naps.  I am really glad we have this option, even if we only use it for a few short months.

So there you have it – all the latest and greatest baby gear that I am loving this second time around.  While it’s obviously very nice to be able to reuse so much of what we already had, it’s also fun to discover new things that can make life easier now that we’re juggling two.

This post includes some affiliate links that can potentially earn me a small commission, but I am not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned.  As always, thanks for supporting DG!

Casey     at 3:15 am

The Bundleme product is unsafe in car seats. Anything that goes between your baby and the straps can compress in a crash and cause the straps to not fit properly. Car seat manuals say not to use after market products for this reason. Check out the shower cap style car seat covers. They serve the same propose but do not affect the straps.

Thanks Casey!

Casey Reply:

No problem. I always look forward to your posts. I have a November 2011 boy, Leo, and an October ( Halloween!) 2013 girl, Hadley. So I can always relate to your posts on the kids!

Emily Reply:

I understand wear you are coming from Casey. I used the bundle me in our car seat for walks and quick car rides. We live in a ski town where we are luck to see 10 degrees as high. Realistcly it is a nice product and is made well. Follow your guys mom and keep your baby warm.

Sara T.     at 3:57 am

Thank you for this post! I’m due with another girl in April, so I can use all my daughter’s clothes (born in May), but there are so many new things that come out since 2.5 years ago! Seriously, those jammies by Magnificent baby clothing? Where have those been all my mom life?! Genius! Definitely going to buy a few for the baby! Also on my list, the Zutano booties. Although, I did find socks that are kick proof–the ones by Robeez. They have another band around the ankle and my daughter could never kick them off. They’re great!

Jammies and booties — you need them!! I like Robeez too, but I always thought they were for older babies – more like a starting walker shoe. I’ll check them out!

Sara T. Reply:

They’re on my Amazon wishlist! The Robeez I’m talking about are actually socks…they make the soft leather shoes, but they have socks too! Best.socks.ever!

Oh awesome! And adorable!

Jackie     at 4:29 am

I agree with the previous commenter, the bundle me is not safe to use in a car seat. It can cause excess strap lentgth even though the baby appears buckled in tightly and could cause them to be ejected from their seat in a crash.

See this link for a demonstration of why.

Just put a nice fleece blanket over the top of baby in the seat. He’ll be both warm and safe.

I use my bundle me in my stroller so I can go for walks in colder weather. That’s a good safe use for it

Thanks for this — looking into it!

Chelsea     at 5:04 am

As other posters have said, the bundleme is not only a safety hazard in your car seat, but it also VOIDS your car seat warranty if you, god forbid, were in an accident.

A safe alternative is a cover like this…

The bundle me is fine if you have Graham in the car seat for a walk, but in the car, is a huge safety concern. I know you know what’s best for your babies, but I just hope you’re informed about the products you’re using!

Thanks for this! I’m looking into it and edited the post.

Lee     at 5:14 am

I registered for a Moby but maybe I should switch it to the JJ Cole one if it’s easier?

Susan Reply:

I’m wondering the same thing. Do you prefer this one to the Moby? Emily, thanks for this post!

I do! Much easier to take on and off. Only potential drawback is that unlike the Moby it is sized specifically to the person wearing it, so it isn’t as transferable between parents or caregivers.

I like the JJ Cole better for sure!

Jen @ The Well Read Fish Reply:

I have to chime in that we love the Baby K’tan!

Jackie     at 5:19 am

Shut the front door. Magnets on the clothes? GENIUS!

Shelly     at 5:50 am

Hi Emily — are you using any sort of breathing/motion monitor this time? We had the Angelcare with our first (which also needs to be replaced) and it gave me such piece of mind (as I think you said it did with Cullen). Are you using a Snuza or something this time (or will you when Graham moves to his room)? Or are you feeling more relaxed with #2 and feel comfortable going without it? :)

Nope, not this time. Just trying to be more relaxed this time – so far so good. My sister has the Snuza though and she has had a good experience with it!

Greendogwine     at 6:08 am

YES! Please please please do a post on cloth diapering! I just got the g-brand “starter” bundle for our baby due in April and I’m excited and nervous. I’d love to hear tips from a 2x pro!

Christina     at 6:12 am

I live in Minnesota, so I totally understand the need to keep baby warm in the car seat. I’m going to go ahead and echo what others have said about the Bundle Me, it isn’t safe. We dress baby in fleece jammies, a fleece baby bunting and use a shower cap style cover called Cozy Cover: http://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Cover-Charcoal-Grey/dp/B00A6IOY08/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1386252463&sr=1-3&keywords=cozy+cover

She stays toasty and safe this way. I particularly like the Cozy Cover because it has a face cover that you can life up and Velcro off baby’s face in the car. Plus, you can unzip in the car to avoid overheating.

I’ve also heard bad things about those car seat canopies getting in baby’s face.

I will look into this — thanks! The carseat canopy I only have down when we’re carrying the seat around outside – otherwise it’s lifted up!

RLR Reply:

We had something similar to this when my December baby was born (he just turned 10 this week!). Loved it, and would definitely have used it again with my second, except she was a summer baby. Our weather swings from warm (uppers 60s today) to cold (snow flurries last week) so quickly that this style of cover was great – easy off and on. Also, my guy liked to sleep in his seat – so we could quickly slip it off indoors.

Brittney     at 6:24 am

I LOVE the Zutano booties too! We have them in gray and pink and use them ALL THE TIME. They are cute and functional, great for colder weather.

Poppy     at 6:29 am

We love the same monitor. Perfect for two kiddos! You can also talk through the monitor to the kids, which our older child (2 years) gets a kick out of and I bet we will use it more when he gets out of his crib.

Cullen is totally freaked out by the talk-back feature, haha.

andrea     at 6:59 am

I’m a soon to be new mom and I am wondering if he wears the booties over night or just during the day?

Just during the day – like shoes!

Brittany     at 7:02 am

I am so looking forward to my little bundle of joy being here. I have that exact carrier, but in black and I am more than thrilled to baby wear!

I don’t live wear it is super cold, so I don’t have a lot of outfits for it being super cold out, but I do have some adorable jackets!

You will love it! Congrats!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 7:05 am

It’s amazing to me how far baby monitors have come! I don’t have a child yet but I love all these items and will definitely be back here to check it out when that day comes :)

Keri @ With Love from Colorado     at 7:41 am

I’m due early in January with our first, so it’s super helpful to read these posts!I’m not planning on cloth diapering our little guy for the first few months (two giant diaper cakes to use!), but wondering if the same brands you like for newborn boys are the same for 3 months+?

For the most part! Likes and dislikes have changed during different ages and stages, but I still use all of them.

Amanda     at 8:00 am

You HAVE to check out these booties!! Best EVER! and the best thing about them is the creator and sewer is a Mommapraneur!!

They come is absolutely adorable fabrics and stay on!!!

Omg SO cute!

Bridget     at 8:37 am

I admit I stalked your instagram comments to find the name of those zutano booties and ordered a pair for my little guy a couple weeks ago. We love them!! Just a tip for anyone else ordering them, I ordered up a size (3-6 mo for my almost 2 mo old) and they stay on fine with a little extra room in the toe for him to grow into.

Haha yay! Glad you like them!!

Liz     at 9:44 am

We also love the aden and anais blankets and have both the bamboo and the muslin ones. The bamboo ones are great for everything except swaddling. Once our baby hit three weeks or so, she could bust out of a swaddle in the bamboo blankets. They’re too soft and slippery!

Totally agree — we don’t swaddle with them. I actually never found a swaddle blanket that worked for swaddling. We use the velcro SwaddleMe!

Liz Reply:

Our baby was a total houdini. We ended up using a miracle blanket by the time she was 6 weeks old.

Sarah     at 9:59 am

I LOVE this post! Mainly because I am a new mom-to-be (January) and have already purchased a few of the bigger items listed here and glad to know you love them so much! We have a Britax stroller and car seat, bundle me, and got that same baby monitor! Actually, we originally were going to get the angelcare one but then after reading your post on how you can’t add a camera I told my husband that if we have a second baby we would be in your same shoes. So he did some more research and landed on the same one you have!! We ended up going for the Moby over the JJ Cole wrap because my husband wants to wear it, too and the JJ Cole came in sizes. We figure this way no matter what our weight/loss gain is we can use the Moby. But I think from past post you said you liked that one as well haha. Youtube videos help! We are also going to the cloth diaper route – not from NB – we are going to do when a bit older. I should read your past post on cloth diapers and the kind you liked. I think we are leaning more towards all in twos….
Thanks for sharing!!!!!

So glad you have found these types of posts useful! The Moby is great too, just has different pros and cons. I prefer the JJ Cole if I have to use just one, but you are right on the sizing and swapping between you and your husband. Good luck these final few weeks!

Sarah     at 10:09 am

Wow, $30 for a onesie? Are they less expensive in person?? That kind of lux just ain’t for us :)

Jen Cate Reply:

SERIOUSLY! I mean maybe getting one as a treat or if it were a gift. I don’t understand spending more than $5-10 on baby clothes that they outgrow so fast. I find them at carter’s, target even walmart – they are cute and practical. And we have a very healthy dual income family but just can’t imagine spending that kind of money for baby clothes. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

We don’t buy expensive baby clothes either. C&G are dressed entirely in Old Navy and Gap that is bought with 40% off coupons. I got these MB clothe on Amazon when they had their “fashion event” this summer, and they were all like $10-12. That said, I do think it’s fine to spend $30 on something special like a hospital outfit, or a baby gift for someone else!

Haha laughing at the last part. :) They were like $28 when I saw them in the store here, which is why I didn’t actually buy them there. I went online at home and saw that they were part of Amazon’s summer “fashion event” so I was able to get them for something like 60% off. We don’t do the expensive kid clothes either — they wear them out too quickly and I don’t want to worry about them having fun and getting dirty.

Sarah Reply:

I remember you saying that, which is why your post surprised me. Sometimes I see Amazon as way higher than what I can buy products locally in the store, so I thought maybe you found a steal somewhere :) And yes, portraits, christenings, etc. are all splurgeworthy :)

Sarah Reply:

I’m sorry, I mis-typed. Your post didn’t surprise, me the Amazon price surprised me.

Caitlin     at 10:10 am

Thanks so much for this post! I am expecting my first baby boy at the end of January. I’m wondering for the JJ Cole carrier what size you would recommend getting. I’m 5’6 and was a size 4 pre-pregnancy my husband is 6’2 though so I was considering the medium so that we could both use it. What do you think?

I started with a small and returned it for a medium. Graham was a big baby and I could tell he was going to outgrow it immediately, and he was sitting up way too high on my chest. I’m a size 4 too, and was worried it would be too big but it’s fine. I’d size up so it lasts longer!

Caitlin Reply:

Thank you!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 10:12 am

Zutano booties are the best! My twins lived in theirs. Also they make super cute bear ear hats to match. The bundle me was another must have. We used it for 2 winters. It’s worth every penny!

Amy     at 10:37 am

Thanks for this post! About the cloth diapering — I use bumgenius diapers on my 20 month old and have since he was about 5-6 weeks. Would you recommend getting newborn diapers (like, do they make that much of a difference and are they worth the money) vs using the one size fits all bumgenius style? Just curious for when I have 2 to diaper. :-)

I got most of my newborn diapers for free as part of a Babble piece I wrote last summer, but I’m not sure I can see spending the $$ to buy a whole set just to use for a few weeks. That said, if I WERE going to buy them, I’d get the Charlie Banana — seem to last the longest. G has almost outgrown all the others already at 8 weeks!

Amy Reply:

Thanks! That’s helpful to know.

Beth@Motor City on my Mind     at 11:27 am

This is great information! Thank you for sharing it with us. I don’t have any kids myself but my sister has a 14 month old and I am constantly telling her to check out your blog. I will be doing it again today! :)

Thanks for recommending the blog! :)

Melissa     at 4:05 pm

Very cute photos and baby finds! All seem like they would be really helpful and useful.

Kathy     at 8:04 pm

Thanks so much for all of the great recommendations! We are expecting our first baby in February (a boy!) can you recommend a crib mattress? Feeling totally clueless with all of the options….

This is the one we have! http://astore.amazon.com/thefrontburnerblog-20/detail/B002EL4J14

Jlyn     at 10:36 pm

Have you seen the DRIA cover? It is a bit spendy for a piece of fabric, but was one of our best purchases by far!!!

Link Love | Hy-vee Health State of Mind     at 9:01 am

[...] gift ideas if you have a “little button” in your [...]

Rachelle Kelln     at 4:34 pm

I love the carseat canopy. I bought one this year for baby number 2. I am in Canada and it is currently -42 Celsius and with a blanket under the other blanket and the thick cover she is fully protected. I fully endorse this product. And no, I get no commission for endorsement.

Ali     at 6:45 pm

I loved magnificent baby clothing until Aiden was about 7 months old and got mobile and started tugging at his clothes. We had to retire the 6-9 months onesies because he was constantly tearing them off or they would come undone. They’re perfect for cuddly newborns though!!

I can definitely see it being trouble for an older baby!

Nikki     at 10:06 am

Emily, I love your blog. I’d love it even more if you would say “parents” or “moms and dads” instead of just “mothers” when referring to primary caregivers. Many kids are primarily/equally taken care of by fathers, and some kids only have fathers and no mothers at all. If anything, it can just sound a little outdated to keep saying things like: “Moms- get ready for this.” Plus, insofar as you are selling products (your blog itself, through affiliate links, etc…), many many fathers might be more willing to make a purchase/keep coming back if they didn’t feel excluded or like the oddball because they’re not fitting into the discourse of this site. I know you’re super cool, which is why I thought to bring this up at all. Some bloggers I wouldn’t even bother.

Hey Nikki — I appreciate your feedback, and that you know I’m open to all types of comments. This one actually surprised me though, but this IS something I am really aware of. If you look at this specific post, you’ll see that I actually DID say “parents” or “moms and dads” throughout the post. I only specifically referred to “moms” once in a handful of examples. And I usually talk in terms of “we” – meaning both me and Casey – because keeping our household running is most definitely a team effort. Thanks for bringing this up, and I’ll continue to make sure I’m including everyone going forward.

char eats greens     at 10:15 am

I love that you’re cloth diapering from the beginning. I think I would do the same with the second baby as well. We didn’t start until almost 6 months with my girl only because I had A LOT to learn about cloth diapers even though I thought I had studied up! Now at least I know what to expect. I only have 1 Charlie Banana for our girl, but I do really like it, so I would definitely consider the extra small ones for a new baby :)

We’re on vacation in Florida for almost a month now and I wouldn’t even think of not using our cloth diapers!!

Erica     at 6:22 am

Hi Emily, I’m just wondering if you still like your motorola monitor now that you’re probably using it in two rooms at night. We have 2 boys almost the exact same age as you and bought the summer infant boost touch screen. I am on my 3rd system because it keeps shutting down at night when it’s in scan mode. :( I’m looking at the motorola but read some reviews about the sound going out. Would you recommend it? Thanks for your help! Love your blog!

Hey Erica! We are loving it! No problems so far, and no shutting off or freezing (which I had read about too). That would scare me! It pans between the two rooms so you can only hear one at a time, but I think it switches like every ten seconds, so not that big of a deal.

Erica Reply:

Awesome! Thanks for your help! We just bought one. I’m hoping it works better than our last one! :)

Molly     at 11:04 am

Emily, do you think you would need the carseat canopy if baby is born in summer (in FL)?

The velour underneath might be a bit heavy, but I think if you can find one with lighter fabric it would be great for keeping the baby in the shade. The carseat hoods don’t really offer that much sun protection (don’t extend out very far).

Colleen     at 6:00 am

Hi! Thanks for the informative post. I was wondering, are you still loving the jj cole carrier? I’m due any day, and trying to decided between a moby or this jj cole carrier. I’m curious if your opinion is still the same after all these months!! Thanks in advance!

Absolutely love it and still use it! Def prefer it over the Moby. Best of luck to you in the coming days and weeks!! :)