Winter Weekend.

I haven’t done a weekend post in forever!  With a new baby arriving just as winter set in, a lot of our weekends have been spent hibernating.  This past one was the coldest weekend I can remember since we have lived here in Seattle, but we still managed to do quite a bit.

Casey worked from home on Friday, which is always a fun treat for me and the boys.  It was really sunny outside, so I attempted to take both kids for an afternoon walk mid-day.  We bundled up as much as possible, but I turned around after a mile because I worried that Cullen was going to freeze in the stroller (Graham was toasty bundled up inside the Ergo and my jacket).

How do people do it in colder places?  It was probably 28 degrees outside – very cold, but I know many places are much colder.  I think living here has made me extremely wimpy when it comes to extreme temperatures, since we are typically so mild.

In an effort to get an early start on some 2014 budgeting and health goals, we’re trying to be more mindful of how often we eat out – both in restaurants and take-out food.  Lack of planning is typically the reason we ended up deciding to go out, so in order to curb this I’m working on 1. meal planning, and 2. having a more structured schedule.  All this to say, we’re going to try to limit our meals out to Friday nights (very early, obviously) and Sunday mornings.

So Friday evening we headed out to a super kid-friendly spot that we love, and discovered that they had a lot of tables blocked off for some sort of special group event.  It ended up being one of those miracle evenings where everything should have gone wrong but it ended up being wonderful.  Our 20 minute wait for a table turned into over an hour, and somehow Graham slept the entire time and Cullen was in a great mood.  We had a nice night out and didn’t even get home until 8pm – way past Cullen’s bedtime.  Party animals.  Cullen went to bed as soon as we got home, and the rest of us hit the couch.

Saturday morning we slept in late and made pancakes at home.  I made them and half of them were raw inside, and I am now forever kicked off pancake duty.  Fine with me!  We packed up and all headed to Cullen’s first day of soccer class.  Also known as – the cutest thing that has ever happened

Since I get to have fun and do activities with him all day long, I wanted him to have something fun that he could do with just dad.  All four of us went this time since it was the first one, but it will be fun for Casey and Cullen to have some solo time together going forward.  They ran and kicked and Graham and I watched and walked around. So totally adorable.

I’m not quite sure how I pulled this off, but I managed to get out of the house not once, not twice, but THREE times this weekend without kids.  A new record!  On Saturday afternoon I had a hair cut and color appointment during nap time – scheduled perfectly to coordinate with our evening plans.  Why is Aveda tea so delicious?

That night we had our first “real” night out away from both kids.  We snuck away once the week before when Casey’s parents were in town to see a movie (Hunger Games!), but we left after both kids were asleep which is sort of cheating.  This time our babysitter had to get both kids fed their dinners and into bed, which is challenging to do alone – even for me!  Luckily we have a wonderful babysitter that we trust completely, although I will admit I was still very nervous.

Even so, we got dolled up and headed out for the night!  (Dress from Anthropologie, which hopefully no one remembered from a few years ago!)

We had a great time, and it was so nice to have a few hours away with Casey.  We don’t get out just us two very often, so when we do we try to make the most of it.  Both boys did really well, and Graham slurped down a whole bottle – success.  Gives me hope that we can do it again sooner than later!

It was really nice to be out, but it also felt good to come home, kick off my painful high heels, and scoop up our little guy after five hours away.

On Sunday morning the whole family slept until 8am – how did that happen!?!  How nice that our kids seemed to know that we had been up later than usual.  We had a lazy morning of breakfast out and cookie baking at home.  My little assistant helped me bake four dozen of my favorite ginger spice cookies to take to a cookie exchange later that day.

I had planned to take Graham with me when I left, but he had a full belly and looked very peaceful sleeping on his pillow.  So I left him at home with Casey and snuck off for another afternoon adventure of my own!

My friend Lacey hosted a cookie exchange, and we all brought 3-4 dozen cookies to taste and share.  There were cookies absolutely everywhere, and I ate myself sick – in the best possible way, of course.

We spent the rest of the day at home – winding down and gearing up for the week ahead.  Should be a fun one!  I can’t believe Christmas is two weeks away.  I guess it’s time to start shopping…

Alisha     at 5:06 pm

I love the picture of Cullen assisting in the kitchen! Plus, I just have to tell you… I also love getting little glimpses of the sweet moments my husband and I are looking forward to once we have kids.

Lee     at 5:11 pm

Fun weekend!

I have become such a wimp when it comes to weather after living in Atlanta for the past 11 years. I went to college in Vermont and have NO idea how I handled that weather for 4 years.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 5:23 pm

28 is cold!! I live in somewhere where it is single digits for most of the winter and we are in the 20′s and im freezing!!

Kat     at 5:26 pm

Your hair is so beautiful!Is it a permanent color or just one of those semi-permanent colors?

Casey     at 5:26 pm

As an MN resident, 28 degrees sounds amazing right now :) I spent several years working for Aveda, they are headquartered in MN. I worked in product development (hair color and product) and Customer Service. A total dream company to work for, but my current two tiny bosses are also pretty fantastic!

Ali     at 5:27 pm

That sounds like such a fun weekend! It’s always nice to sleep in, have lazy mornings, bake, have family time as well as time alone with the husband!! Good things.

Ashley M.     at 5:40 pm

We get wicked winters here. I just put Ada in footed fleece PJs and layer pants + sweater over top with her boots, coat, etc. Looks a little ridiculous, but she’s cozy warm outside. It’s just, like, survival for us! Otherwise, she is screaming to go outside all day. And tiny soccer — how cute :) Hahah Ada would NOT have the attention span for that!

Livi     at 5:40 pm

cookie exchanges are the BEST!

Tara     at 5:42 pm

I would love a post on meal planning. I started making more meals at home but instead of saving money I’m actually spending more since I can’t figure out how to use the ingredients more than once.

padma     at 6:17 pm

haha, 28 degrees is pretty freezing for me. I’m from the one state that has temperatures above 70 degress now. Over thanksgiving I went to go visit family in South Carolina and I was complaining how “cold” it was when it was like 50 degrees.

Leah Reply:

It’s kind of normal for me this time of year. 28 degrees actually = a 50 car pile up near here so the worst is when it’s 33F and the wind shifts and everything turns to black ice. I’ve had 4WD in every car (hubby too) does not help with ice but it helped last night when my road was not plowed. Anyway…I love all 4 seasons and I enjoy traveling to warmer places for work (NC, VA, GA, and CA–woo!)

Angela     at 6:34 pm

That cookie party = heaven! I would happily give myself a sore tummy for that.

We had our first taste of the winter cold this week. I can’t seem to get warm no matter how many teas I make! And this is just the beginning…let the hibernation begin. :) As I type this, my cat is on my lap covered completely in a blanket…he has the idea!

Melissa     at 6:46 pm

Glad to see you and Casey were able to enjoy some time alone this weekend! Also, Cullen and Graham look absolutely adorable!

Maria     at 7:24 pm

It was 9 degrees here today! I’d take 28 any day :-) I love that dress from anthroplogie…super cute!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 7:48 pm

Sounds like a great weekend! Cullen looks so sweet in his soccer outfit :)

We try to limit our eating out to Friday nights as well — once we got used to it, it was fine! Plus it made it a bit more special — we look forward to it all week! :)

Kristi     at 8:54 pm

Sounds like you had a great weekend!
It’s been really cold in Virginia, and the weather has been awful. I’m waiting for a non rainy, sleety, snowy kind of day.
I’ve never been to a cookie exchange, but it looks like it would be a good time.

Andrea     at 9:39 pm

Adorable pics as always! I too have become a wimp when it comes to extremes… the heat, humidity, and this frigid stuff. All my family back home in the midwest is getting snow coupled with these frigid temps. I remember the first time we had unseasonable out of the norm weather- (I moved here in 2005) was in late 2007. My MIL laughed and said she was to blame because she “bargained” for nice weather for our outdoor wedding in June 2007. lol We did have a beautiful day. lol

Danielle @ LabelsAreForTinCans     at 9:56 pm

I am terrible at cooking pancakes! Glad I am not alone ;) All those cookies look amazing!

Emily     at 12:37 am

You need a stroller muff! I live in Germany and they are standard here, we go out all the time in the cold and my son stays toasty warm. I never understood why people don’t have them in the US!

Emily     at 12:56 am

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Bundleme-Stealth-Toddler/dp/B000G7YO7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386665714&sr=8-2&keywords=stroller+muff

seriously, you will use it forever! we use ours even when the weather is mild – you can zip off the front and keep the cozy liner

Bunions and Heel pain     at 2:10 am

Your family is commendable! For me, wearing heels more than a hour is also very difficult as I can’t walk around with the hurt foot so I always take my comfy flat shoes with me so that whenever I get tired I take my heels off and wear them.

Kim     at 4:18 am

What swaddle are you using? Is it the ergo one? We’re using the miracle blanket on our 4 week old (and used it with our first) but I’m thinking we might like the ergo one better for this babe since he struggles against it quite a bit and grunts a lot. So you like it?

Sarah D.     at 6:15 am

It’s so cute to compare the picture of you and Cullen making the cookies last year and this year. Stay warm, Ohio got drilled with more snow again overnight.

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 6:21 am

Cookies!!! It really is the time of year! Cullen is so cute in his footie gear!!!

Karen     at 6:41 am

Some of us learn to hibernate during the winter months where it is much colder. I am one of them. I would have loved 28 degrees where you are, I am soooo jealous.
You have a beautiful family:)

Brittany     at 7:05 am

You look great!

That sounds like a lot of fun. Here in Florida it gets up to 80 sometimes during the afternoons still.. I can’t wait for it to even hit the 60s, but 28..i think that’s a little crazy!

Shannan     at 8:02 am

That sounds like a wonderful weekend! I love hibernating in the winter. :)

Keri @ With Love from Colorado     at 8:38 am

You are so very pretty–love the Anthro dress :). Love too seeing how my life is about to change once this little guy gets here in January, and how date nights might not be impossible?!

Also, I am in LOVE with the Aveda tea. I bought a box of it the last time I got my hair done (which sadly, was forever ago).

Happy Christmas shopping & prepping!

Kelly     at 10:16 am

Love reading these posts about your new life as a family of four! Would love to hear how you got back into “newborn” mode. We are starting to think about #2 and I’m having a hard time remembering those newborn days, especially sleep schedules (or lack thereof!) :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}     at 10:22 am

Oooh I’ve never had the tea at Aveda – will have to try some the next time I get my hair cut! Your kiddos are adorable as always!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 11:55 am

What a great weekend and how fun is that cookie exchange!! I love everything about those…the baking, the sharing, and the eating.

Lolly     at 12:04 pm

FALL WEEKEND.
It isn’t winter yet. It is snowing in NY as I type this, but that still doesn’t make it winter.
Let’s not make winter any longer than it really is.
Adorable post….seasonal nit-picking aside!

Amelia @i_heart_kale     at 12:35 pm

You are looking fabulous! You and Casey look absolutely stunning as you went on date night. :)

Yay for holiday parties and cookie exchanges. I usually host one, but this year it hasn’t worked out. I’m super bummed, but I guess that’s just how it works. Stay bundled up there in Seattle. Sorry to let you know that Chs, Sc has had temps in the 70′s this week. I’m waiting on winter to arrive so it FEELS like Christmas.

Janelle     at 2:33 pm

Fun weekend! Do you take cookies home from a cookie exchange or just eat them all there!? Look like my kind of event. ;)

Hayley     at 5:15 pm

Emily, this may be too personal but how do you deal with fullness or engorgement when leaving LO for 5 hours? My son is 7 weeks and I’ve left him several times now for an hour or so but left him for 4+ hours on Sunday with his grandma. My breasts were so full and heavy and I ended up with a really painful plugged duct all of yesterday that kept getting progressively worse no matter what I tried.

Rachel     at 8:17 pm

Would you mind sharing the name of the kid-friendly dinner spot? We are always looking for new places to try with our toddler. :)

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 5:52 am

Graham is just like Cullen in that he keeps getting cuter! I love that Anthro dress–it looks so gorgeous on you! And your hair looks great :) I used to work at an Aveda spa/salon and the best part was getting to drink all the tea I wanted! I love that sweet aftertaste! Ok, maybe the best part was getting ridiculous discounts, but the *second* best part was the tea!

Christina.vd     at 7:53 am

In a few weeks, I’m moving to a new place where it is currently -47C (or -52.6F). Yikes! Wish me luck!

Leah     at 11:49 am

I live for the cold:
It’s winter 5 months a year in MA and ME so I:
(with hubby)
1. cross country ski (that’s me, but he’s getting skis for Christmas, shhh)
2. snowshoe
3. bake and bake and bake (new gas oven from BlueStar woooooo!)
4. Wear leg warmers (hehehe, 1985 just called)
5. Snowmobile (we love it and it’s only $24/year for the both of us to be members of our snowmobile club and it comes with a free magazine) heated handle bars and seats
6. I’m the only New Englander you’ll meet who does not pay to downhill ski (too expensive and…did I mention the heated seats on my sled?)
7. Wood stoves…so romantic
8. My in-laws home is from 1840…Christmas tree and fireplace in every room…ahhhh
9. I drive a Jeep and it has chains for the tires (not street legal but we need ‘em to get to our place in Maine)
10. Last night I took a walk with hubby in the snow. It was quiet. The stars were out. It was beautiful.

So, that’s how I do it. Why moan and whine 5 months per year, right? It really does snow here 5 months per year: Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, and sometimes April. :)

Angela     at 6:53 pm

I have a really strange question. Where did you find that stool Cullen is standing on?? My little guy would love to be able to help me in the kitchen, but I can only find short stools. Random, I know :)

what food helps you lose weight     at 2:26 am

Hi there, I found your site via Google whilst looking for
a related matter, your site got here up, it appears great.
I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
Hello there, just turned into alert to your weblog through Google, and located that it is truly informative.
I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful in case
you proceed this in future. Numerous other people might be benefited out
of your writing. Cheers!