For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Christmas 2013 (No, Really!).

Yep, I’m really doing it.  Almost a month late and I’m going to recap Christmas.  Feels totally ridiculous and self-indulgent, but we had so much fun and I have captured every holiday season on here since 2009!  I can’t possibly miss this one.

I’ve also been in a major posting lull because I’ve felt so backlogged and behind.  I’m going to do a quick catch-up on a few fun things so that I can finally move forward in real-time!

Starting with – snow!!  We have had exactly one hour of snow this year.  We woke up to a blanket of white, with the promise of rain to start melting it in the early morning.  I woke Cullen up and he ran to the window and just stared in amazement.  We threw on coats and boots right on top of pajamas and headed outside before breakfast.

Cullen has only ever really seen snow one other time before, so this was understandably very exciting.  Also exciting that adorable toddler rain boots can double as snow boots in the winter!

We ran around for an hour – tasting, throwing, snow-balling, and freezing.

And within just an hour of waking up, the rain started and the snow began to melt.  It was gone as quick as it came, but man was it fun.  Maybe we’ll get one more snow day before the season is over?

That night – family arrived from Ohio and Indiana!

We spent five glorious days with my mom, her fiancé, and my little sister.  We did a good mix of exploring around the city, doing fun seasonal things like Zoo Lights, and just hanging around the house enjoying the company.

Grandma taught Cullen how to bake sugar cookies…

And when they were ready we all decorated them together at the kitchen table.  Cullen spent the whole time picking the sprinkles off the cookies and eating them.

We ate lots of yummy home cooked meals and sat around talking and playing board games at night – one of my favorite things to do during the holidays!  During one of our mornings, we loaded our whole crew up and headed down to Seattle Center to go to the top of the Space Needle!

My mom and Jim really wanted to go up, and clearly Cullen is always down to visit his favorite Seattle spot.  It started out cloudy and grey and then suddenly the sun came out!  It was fun to point out all the Seattle landmarks and spots that we visit from way up high.

And the highlight was Cullen’s visit with SPACE NEEDLE SANTA!  This is definitely going on our yearly holiday must-do list.  He was in a rocket ship and Cullen was super impressed.  Hilarious!

On Christmas Eve we had a low key day at home with obligatory posted family holiday photos.  Mom, Jim, and Cullen…

My favorite Seattle crew.  :)

Mom and Sarah – looking adorable as always…

Check out smiley Graham!

Last but not least, me and my favorite girl.

We had a yummy Xmas Eve dinner of roasted broccoli and onions…

A delicious Field Roast loaf, courtesy of my friend Lacey!

Roasted tri-color carrots…

And a giant bowl of mashed potatoes with vegan gravy.  So delicious!

Christmas morning we were up (too) early, as little people were eager to get downstairs.  We came down and quickly got to work preparing our breakfast spread.

I made Ashley’s gingerbread donuts – just as delicious as last time!

Casey’s famous scrambled eggs…

And an enormous fruit salad – my favorite.

Cullen was super overwhelmed with all the food, family, and festivities.  Naturally, he wanted to open and play with each toy as he unwrapped them.

It was also Graham’s FIRST Christmas, and as expected he was a perfect angel.  So adorable!

It took a loooooooong time to get through the gifts, and by the end Cullen was so overwhelmed he started refusing them – ha!  We barely even got him anything, and I’m glad we didn’t buy more.

He got a pair of new pajamas, two puzzles, a basketball hoop, and a pair of shoes.  Pretty boring stuff from mom and dad!  The puzzles were a hit.

He is completely obsessed with his Super Why floor puzzle.  We do it at least once a day!

During presents, Graham either hung out in someone’s lap or rocked in his Rock-A-Roo (fun post and giveaway for one coming up soon!).

We ended up stretching presents out all throughout the day, and even stashed some away for future rainy days.  Note that he got several new jerseys from family members, and insisted on wearing all of them.  Twenty five is definitely the favorite, and he begs to wear it every single day.  (Go Seahawks!)

The hoops was a hit, and I like that we got a small one that can be stashed away on the back of the door if we need to consolidate space.  At some point we’ll probably get a bigger one for the backyard, but this more compact version is great for now.

Mimi and Grandpa got him this awesome shopping cart to go with his kitchen, and I think by the end of the day we all looked a bit like Mr. Monkey.

It was a wonderful holiday and we felt so lucky that our family traveled so far to come spend it with us.  As always it went by way too quickly.  Thanks for indulging me on this totally absurd late trip down memory lane – it was fun to look back through the pictures!  Next up, I’ll fill you in on our fun New Years adventures and then I should be all caught up.  Wishful thinking!

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 10:56 am

Sounds like you had a great holiday! Graham looks like such a little champ! And Cullen is adorable too as always :)

Sarah     at 11:49 am

How old is Cullen now? My niece is turning 2 years old next month and I’m totally lost as to what to buy her. That floor puzzle seem really cool but it says it’s for ages 3+.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run     at 11:54 am

It was fun to revisit the holidays – your family is all too cute :) Hope 2014 has been good to you all.

Leah     at 12:24 pm

Oh hey there you are! :) Thanks for the catch up! Oh and Space Needle santa awesome! We have one here in MA that arrives via Lobster Boat (true story).

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 3:42 pm

The boys are too cute and that huge floor puzzle is awesome. I can’t wait to read your post on the rock-a-roo. I am trying to decide if I should register for one or go with a traditional bouncy seat!

Amy     at 3:51 pm

What did you guys have for Xmas dessert?

Emily @ Life on Food     at 4:19 pm

Oh I wish it was Christmas again. Love having a later recap.

Jacquelynn     at 6:06 pm

Love this, thank you so much for posting it! Do you love that 4moms rock-a-roo? We almost got one when my little guy was born, and kicking myself now… I think he would have really liked it. And, much more portable than some of the other swings and loungers.

Yes, love it!!

Sarah @ Hairway to Vegan     at 10:44 pm

Your boys are adorable. Fruit is always the best for any breakfast or brunch and I think people naturally gravitate towards it!

Melissa     at 12:32 am

Where did you get the Super Why puzzle? My son LOVES Super Why.

Amazon!

Catherine     at 6:25 am

Merry belated Christmas! I loved the post, and that Super Why puzzle is awesome! I would love a puzzle that’s bigger than I am! How cool for Cullen!

Jess     at 7:35 am

ZZZZZZ – I’m sorry your kids are cute and you have a great little family but if I wanted wanted to read about things like this I’d follow mommy blogs. Where did the recipes and interesting content go?!?! Seriously missing the Daily Garnish of the past :( ….unsubscribe

Sorry Jess! Thanks for reading!

jacklyn     at 11:37 am

Hi Emily! I also miss the old Daily Garnish. I know you’ve changed and have kids now but you keep saying you have posts coming (for months!) and than they never come. It just seems like this is no longer a blog because you aren’t thinking of your readers. It’s just a personal journal you share online. Just want to be honest. I loved your blog when you shared many recipes, workouts, clothing, a bit of everything. I think your kids are adorable but you only post a few times a month now, and its too bad because this used to be such a great blog.

Hi Jacklyn,
I’m so sorry about all the frustration! If it makes you feel better, I am frustrated too. I say there are posts coming because there are so many thing I WANT and HAVE to share — but the reality is that my life is really overwhelming right now. I am spread incredibly thin, and doing my best to stay above water. That is the honest truth. I also miss my community here and the opportunity to share things I love. All I can tell you is that I’m working on it. I can’t make promises or give you a timeline because I don’t have one. But I am literally working every day to dig out of the hole, figure out how to make many things better, and also take good care of my family at the same time. Thanks for understanding, and for reading for so long.

jacklyn Reply:

Thanks for responding Emily. I am sorry that you are so overwhelmed right now. I can’t relate because i don’t have any kids but i hope things get better/easier for you! Looking forward to posts in the future. All the best! xo

Thanks girl. Appreciate it.

sarah cross     at 2:33 pm

well i just need to say I love your blog. I loved it when it was fitness and food majority content and I love it now that your kids are here blowin up the space. Life changes. Don’t feel bad or apologize for that! This is your blog. your space. end of story.

Im a mom of two boys literally the same age (the 26th of 2011 and 9th 2013 both Oct) and I can’t imagine the pressure that you feel when reading negative comments.

You’re doing a great job. Your putting your family first and your kids are obviously super happy (look at those amazing smiles!). At these demanding times in our lives I just wish people didn’t say anything unless it was encouragement. We already have 20million things taking up time in our day and aint no body got time for negativity ;)

Thank you so much, Sarah! I needed this, especially from someone who really, truly knows exactly where I’m at right now. Two kids is no joke, and while it is absolutely wonderful, it leaves me dragging to get to 7pm every day. How cool that our little ones are the exact same age!

Meghan     at 3:55 pm

Love it! Please tell me you are going to teach Cullen to say “Don’t you ever talk about the best!” and point at his jersey :).

Vanessa     at 2:43 am

Looks like you all had a beautiful Christmas. I LOVE family time too :)

Liz     at 11:25 am

Emily, I’ve already commented, but I felt the need to do so again, after reading the two comments above complaining about the present content of your site. Not only did I find them unnecessarily harsh and quite disrespectful, but I couldn’t disagree more with them so I just wanted to chime in to voice a contrasting opinion. I wrote you a ridiculously long email in Oct. right after your post about Graham’s birth so I don’t want to make you sit through it all over again, but, from this non-mom gal, I still absolutely, 100% LOVE your blog. In fact, I love it even more NOW and only became a regular reader AFTER the birth of Cullen. If what you post is worth reading (which everything you “publish” is), then, to me, it’s irrelevant WHAT you write about because it’s all equally engaging. :) So, though our lives couldn’t be more different, I still thoroughly enjoy reading about your family and and your life as a parental unit. :)

Thank you so much, Liz! That really means a lot. :)

Ashley     at 8:48 am

What a lovely Christmas! So glad you loved the doughnuts the 2nd time around. :)

Lee     at 9:26 am

We got a Mamaroo for Alexander (who is 9 days old) and he hates when we turn it on! I’m hoping he’ll like it when he gets a bit bigger.

Amber     at 11:16 am

Just wanted to jump in after reading your latest post (and seeing some of the above comments) and let you know I LOVE your blog. I unsubscribed from a lot of healthy living blogs when kids came along, but not yours. Every time one of your posts pops up in my reader it’s a treat and I always read every single word. I can tell you are doing the best you can right now and I hope you feel less overwhelmed soon. XO

Sara Reply:

Same here! I don’t read a lot of the old blogs I used to read, but I still read yours!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Christmas & New Year’s 2014!     at 3:35 pm

[…] year it took me until January 23rd to recap our holidays, and while I’m still a bit late this year (which is no surprise), it feels a bit less […]

this domain     at 9:18 pm

I blog frequently and I really thank you for your information. This article has really peaked my interest.
I will book mark your blog and keep checking for new details about once
per week. I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.

running shoes