Holiday.

Well hey there.  Long time no talk, huh?  I guess I ended up taking an unplanned – but much needed – hiatus for a short bit.  The holidays came and my family was here, and I couldn’t bring myself to lose time in front of my laptop instead of watching DVD’s of family videos games and winning board games.

And then they left and I was sad, but Casey’s birthday was just a few days later and we were busy celebrating and enjoying having him home from the office for a few extra days.

And then we had some major drama with our dogs that sort of unraveled everything for a few days and left me feeling both physically (so.much.crying) and emotionally drained.  New Year’s Eve came and went and we spent our evening eating Thai takeout, reflecting on the year behind us and planning for the year ahead, and staying up until 2am for who knows what reason.

And then New Year’s Day came and we packed up and headed a few hours south for a few days away with friends.  The timing couldn’t have been worse, and at the same time couldn’t have been better.   We had a lot going on here that needed to be managed and dealt with, but at the same time we desperately needed some time away to regroup, de-stress, and seek perspective.

And here we are – January 5th and I just took down my Christmas tree this afternoon.  So you can see that this isn’t the only space that I’ve neglected recently.  The good news is that I finally feel like I’m on the upswing.  We’re working on hopefully resolving the issues between our dogs, I’m finally seeking some extra childcare help (that should definitely help me be more present here – a major 2014 goal!), and I feel really hopeful and optimistic about the year ahead.

Now that we’re back from our first mini-vacation as a family of four, I’m feeling really excited about jumping into this new year.

IMG_9111 (640x427) (2)

I missed you guys!  Hope everyone’s year is off to a wonderful start.

Arati     at 10:43 pm

I love your blog and wait for your posts impatiently. It is so good to see your post today.
Taking care of two kids and two dogs is sooo difficult, but you make it look easy. Hope the issue you are having with dogs gets sorted soon.
Wishing you a very happy new year from the other end of the world!!!

Sarah Cross     at 1:15 am

Yay. Up nursing and it was such a great surprise to see your blog on my feed! Glad you had a break & rest!! Happy new year and look forward to reading about your adventures this year!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 3:43 am

Happy Happy New Year!!

Sarah C     at 4:36 am

Welcome back! I read about your pup issues on twitter and my heart went out to you. I went through what I think to be a similar situation when my twins were babies and it is scary especially with babes in the house. It all worked out in the end for us and my dogs and kids are all good 6 years later. I hope it works out for you. Glad to see you back on the blog!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 5:02 am

Been thinking of you and the pups <3
Glad to hear you are on the upswing and hooray for childcare help! Having H in 'school' two half days a week has been such a big help for me and blessing for her!
Happy 2014 :)

Lee     at 5:24 am

I hope everything got somewhat resolved with the dogs!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 5:59 am

I love all your posts and always look forward to reading them! You are awesome! I hope you get the issues between your dogs resolved – and that it is an easy transition getting back into routine :)

Erin @ vie balance     at 6:07 am

Don’t feel bad about your Christmas tree still being up. Mine still is – partly because we have been too busy and partly because my three year old melts down everytime we mention taking it down. It may have to become a holiday tree and become a permanent part of our decor! Happy New Year!!

I took it down yesterday during nap time! he did a double take when he came down and saw the empty corner. Too late! Haha.

Tamara     at 6:10 am

I was worried you’d never come back!

Aww I would at least say goodbye. :)

Hillary Reply:

Ahh I hope that doesn’t mean you’re thinking of saying goodbye anytime soon!! I think I speak for many when I say that would be a very sad day.

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 6:43 am

Missed you too! Glad to see you back and that you had a fun filled holiday season apart from the drama with the dogs! Happy belated New Year!

Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes     at 6:50 am

Glad you see you’re back! And glad things seems to be on the upswing. :) Happy 2014!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 7:21 am

Yay! There you are! I’m so glad you are back. I love that you are trying to resolve things with your pup. I’ve worked in vet’s offices most of my life and it’s sad what comes up. Hang in there Emily and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Erica     at 7:26 am

I’m glad things are somewhat resolved with the dogs! I know from experience how heartbreaking that can be. The day after our wedding our dogs started fighting! Talk about stress and crying. Ugly crying. But we got things worked out over a few weeks and things felt much better after that.

Kel     at 7:54 am

Thanks for the update – happy new year!

Theresa     at 8:26 am

SO happy to see you back, I’ve missed your posts! But, I am so glad you were able to step back and enjoy the holidays with your family and take a break. Happy New Year! I hope everything works out with the pups, I was following along on Facebook and I just feel terrible. I can’t imagine how hard that would be.

Emily E.     at 8:44 am

Welcome back!! So happy to see your post this morning!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 8:56 am

Sending happy thoughts your way! <3 I'm glad you're back to blogging! I've missed your posts!

Jesse     at 8:57 am

yea on the childcare! you deserve some extra help with those boys lady. a rested mama is a good mama:)

Elisabeth     at 8:58 am

Glad you’re back with us! Hope you can get everything resolved with the doggies & that the childcare help will give you the time you need to meet your 2014 goals :)

Whitney     at 9:06 am

No one can do it all!! Glad you enjoyed your family time and hope you get the dogs resolved. I got sad when I read your post on facebook about giving one away :( I would exhaust every avenue before it came to that! Happy New Year! :)

Aileen     at 9:08 am

Welcome back! So glad you took as much time as you needed. As much as I love your blog, posting here should NOT be your top priority! Thanks for setting a great example, and taking care of yourself and your family!

Thanks for understanding Aileen!

Christina     at 9:48 am

So sorry to hear about the drama with the dogs. When I was a kid we had two big male dogs that did not get along. We had to keep them separate. For YEARS. Maybe once a year someone would slip up and they’d have a go at each other. That is always a terrifying experience. I hope you find a solution that works for your family.

Liz     at 9:54 am

Sounds like full holidays! I’m glad you had some quality time with family and so nice to hear from you again!

Ellen     at 10:58 am

I hope you work through the issues with Indy! Reactivity is very common when there are major changes in the household (a new baby, an increasingly active toddler, the holidays, company, etc.) With some training I bet this will be a blip in his life with you! Good luck.

Absolutely! Although this is an old problem that has always existed, and has just recently intensified. But we’re looking into getting him more exercise, better socialization, etc. He’s a great dog and we love him very much!

Shannon Reply:

Emily, I think you are doing a fantastic job. As a veterinarian and a mother, I understand how your children’s safety has to come first. Sometimes rehoming a pet is the best option for everyone. Go with your gut.

Thank you so much, Shannon! It’s really tough right now, and we’re trying to just make the best of it while we figure out what to do long term.

Leah     at 11:22 am

Missed your posts too! Sorry to hear about the trouble with the dogs. :(

Thanks for the update–I just showed your blog to a vegan friend on Saturday for the first time. :)

Thanks so much, Leah! Appreciate the recommendation!

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 11:28 am

I’m sorry to hear about the dog issue, Emily. I hope things work out for you! It’s nice to have you back and I hope 2014 is a great year for you!

Andrea     at 12:11 pm

So happy you got a much needed break. I read about the dog issue- my heart breaks for you on that. That is a tough tough call to have to make. I hope everything works out for you and any transition goes smoothly. Blessings to you and your beautiful family.

Stephanie     at 12:22 pm

Ah, the holidays. Sorry to hear about the issues with your dogs. I’m looking forward to your return, whenever that may be!

Adrienne J     at 1:24 pm

Glad to hear things might be working out with the dogs! Hang in there. Happy new Year. :)

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 3:31 pm

Welcome back! Glad you had a great holiday :)

Sending you lots of positive vibes regarding your pup issue — hope it works out for you & your family!

Katie     at 4:51 pm

Maybe Julie can help:

Molly     at 5:13 pm

Cullen is so adorable! Great family pic.

Babs     at 6:25 pm

Sounds like a stressful holiday, but at least you had time with family! Looking forward to seeing more posts in the new year. I have a little one that’s 2 weeks younger than Graham. I love that his little personality is starting to show and he’s able to “play” a bit now. And geez you feel so amazing when they give you a smile.

Bridget S.     at 6:37 pm

So glad you are back for a little update. I missed your reflections on family and life with two little ones. Hope things are resolved with the dogs soon!

Kamila     at 7:43 pm

I’ve missed your blog.. So glad to see you’re back. Happy New Year!

Meagan     at 9:50 pm

Good to hear from you Emily! I hope things with Indy are better :)

Amy W     at 4:01 am

So happy to hear from you. Life has a crazy way of going from 0-100 in just minutes which then leaves us hanging on for dear life! I am glad you had a chance to regroup, take some time to focus on your adorable family and get some perspective (and hopefully a little rest too). You are such a wise mom and I love your blog but I am glad you can step away when you need to.

Sending love and hugs from Chicago. Happy 2014!
Amy W.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance     at 11:23 am

That is awful to hear about your pup situation. I am sure you will find a lovely home for Indy!

Shannan     at 11:42 am

Thinking about you and all that you have going on! Take as much time as you need. :)

Cate     at 4:20 pm

I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog for the past year or so. It has been especially fun to follow your pregnancy and Graham’s birth because I was pregnant and giving birth to my son on nearly the same timetable.

I was so sorry to read that your dogs are having problems though! I went through some horrific fights between my two pups, and I know how stressful and heartbreaking it is. My husband and I were living in Seattle when we finally decided that we needed to seek out a trainer’s help. We went with Steve at Nitro K-9, and we couldn’t be happier. (There is more detail in my Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/nitro-k-9-seattle#hrid:OVi5LcJ6kE_QtUImt36WoQ.) It has been over two years since we did the training with Steve, and our dogs are continuing to get along well (plus they are better behaved in general). Just a thought since you’re in the area. Good luck with your pups!