Getting My Fix.

Happy Friday Monday, my friends!  I have spent the past 48 hours – basically since the minute I hit publish on my last post – flat on my back with my worst case of mastitis yet.  No fun at all.  But I’m slowly starting back to feeling like myself this morning, so I thought I’d try to pop in with a fun weekend post.  (So that’s as far as I got on that post before I needed to go back to bed – oops!)

After several days of horrible mastitis, including an ultrasound to rule out an abscess, I am now finally feeling 80% better and am definitely on the mend.  It’s always something, right?  Moving right along…

I will never in a million years pretend to know anything about fashion, as the bulk of my wardrobe comes from Target and Old Navy.  But I learned early on in this work-at-home, stay-at-home-parent gig that spending all day in sweatpants and hoodies makes me feel and act like a slob.  I’m not dressed to the nines by any means either, but I try to find a nice balance of clothing that is functional for wearing around kids, but also makes me feel like an adult.

Having spent 18 months of the last three years in maternity clothes, my closet has needed a slight facelift.  I’ve also changed sizes quite a bit through various stages of being pregnant and postpartum.  And while going shopping and looking for new clothes is typically a fun endeavor, it is anything but when you have little ones in tow.  Even when I only had Cullen, his attention span in the stroller isn’t that long, and I’d find myself managing meltdowns and cleaning up Cheerios in the fitting rooms rather than actually trying anything on.  Throw Graham into the mix now and it is game over.

Enter – Stitchfix!

Logo_StitchFix_markTop_300pxw

I had seen Stitchfix on several other blogs before and never gave it much of a second thought, until my friend Lacey tried it herself.  She seemed to really like some of the clothing she’d received, but it wasn’t until she showed up at my house in an adorable skirt covered in Eiffel Towers that I was sold.  Eiffel Towers, you guys!

Many of you probably already know all about it, but for those of you who don’t – let me show you the light.

Stitchfix is a personalized styling service that delivers five hand-picked clothing/accessory items to your doorstep each month.  You fill out an extensive style profile and talk about what your needs and wants are.

stitchfix1

Then the clothes are delivered for you to try on in the comfort of your own home – so convenient!  You keep what you want (and are charged for those items), and you send the rest back in a provided pre-paid envelope.  And as for the cost…

stitchfix2

It’s $20 a month, but as long as you keep one item you can apply that toward the price.  So you only lose money if you don’t keep a single thing (and you get a discount if you keep it all!).

I signed up back in December and got my first “fix” in early January.  I filled out my profile and said that I had recently had a baby and was looking for breastfeeding-friendly clothes that would fit a postpartum figure.  My box arrived and I was so excited…and nothing worked.  Womp womp.

My box included: a scarf that I didn’t need, a cardigan that was way too big, a shirt that was too loud and trendy (holy chevron), a dress that wasn’t practical, and jeans that didn’t fit.  I was so disappointed!  But like anything, I figured it was worth a second chance and I shouldn’t have expected a home run on the first try.

I sent it all back and filled out my feedback survey online.  I mentioned that I wanted more basics and that most of the fits were too bulky and boxy.  I also asked for no accessories, since I don’t wear many or need any.  My second box arrived last week, and was so much better!  My stylist definitely listened to my feedback, and seemed to understand what I was looking for much better the second time around.  Here’s a look at what I ended up with… (bring on the awkward posed photos!)

1.  Aleah Heathered V-Neck Dolman Top ($48)

I loved this as soon as I pulled it out of the box.  I’m a big fan of this style, and the stretchy, slouchy neck is perfect for breastfeeding.  Love that it’s cute and flattering without being clingy.  Keep!

2.  Ashland Plaid Tie-Neck Tab-Sleeve Blouse ($38)

This is the perfect example of one of those things I would have never tried on myself in a store, but ended up loving.  The neck unties to make it easy to feed Graham, and the sleeves can roll up and button right under the elbow.  I wore this the day I received it and got a ton of compliments – keep!

3.  Slouchy Stitched-Stripe Open Cardigan ($48)

I was so excited when I saw this in the box, as it’s totally my style but I don’t have anything quite like it.  I loved the material and colors, but once I tried it on I felt like it was just a little bit too small?  It seemed like it should have come around my front a little bit more, and I sadly admitted it probably wasn’t the right fit.  Returned (but would have exchanged if I’d had that option!).

4.  Danny 5-Pocket Knit Pants ($78)

My stylist mentioned that she included these because she thought they were perfect for being down on the ground with young kids (which I loved!).  They were basically jeans made out of yoga pant material.  They were a bit too long, and while they were insanely comfortable, they were a bit to “jegging” for me (especially for the price).  Returned!

5.  Catina Belted 3/4 Sleeve Silk Dress ($78)

Under no circumstances did I need this dress, but I loved it as soon as I put it on.  My awkward picture isn’t doing it justice, but it’s the perfect fit for me and is really flattering.  There is a silk slip inside and a looser outer shell with a tie-waist and pockets – my favorite!  Didn’t need it but kept it anyway – I can wear it for my birthday this month!

Also included with the clothing was this handy styling card with ideas for how to wear each piece – something wonderful for style-challenged people like yours truly.  I have no idea what I’m doing!

In the end, I kept three of the five pieces totaling $124 (one sweater, one shirt, and one dress) – not cheap but also not outrageous, and the style and quality were both very nice.  I tossed the other two items back in the envelope provided and dropped it into the mail.

In case you haven’t seen this already, I wanted to share because I think it’s really fun.  It’s something that anyone can enjoy, but I personally love it because it eliminates the need to drag two kids along shopping with me, and it’s something fun to look forward to each month.  I am not stylish and you will never catch me doing moody modeling poses where I stare off into space, but I’m happy to share my monthly “fixes” here if it’s something you guys find interesting.  Looking forward to the next one!

I am not affiliated with or paid by Stitchfix, and all opinions are my own.  The link included is my affiliate link, which gives me a small credit if you decide to sign up!

Lastly, I need to formally post the rockaRoo winner!  Many apologies on the late announcement.  Our lucky winner is…

Carolyn who said “I would love to rock my sweet baby girl Olive to sleep! She is 6 weeks old and loves to be rocked,.,just making it hard for her Mama to get things done.”

Thanks to all who entered!

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody)     at 3:30 pm

I haven’t heard of Stitchfix (sometimes I appear to live under a rock!) but it does seem like a bit of fun. I’d love to open up one of those packages and try everything on, a bit like playing dress ups as a kid. I particularly like the blue and white striped cardigan and that green dress is gorgeous!

Glad to hear you’re recovering well from the bout of mastitis, it sure is nasty isn’t it? I remember the pain all too well and that was over 3 years ago!

Gina     at 3:45 pm

Yes!!! I love the dolman top:) I am getting a fix today. I asked for all dresses because I have a wedding on 2/14 and am determined to find a new dress that I can dress up for a wedding or dress down for the office:)

Oooh all dresses – fun!! Hope you find one that works! And hope you are loving SF. :)

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 3:52 pm

Love that dress on you — what a great color!

Rachel     at 4:01 pm

Emily, after seeing all the other bloggers post about their love of Stitch Fix and just receiving my 12th (!!), I was wondering if you were going to try it! So glad you enjoyed it!!

Katie     at 4:06 pm

Thanks for sharing! You look so gorgeous :) I would love to see more posts like this!! I really need to jump on this train haha.. Staying home all day with my little guy=sweats & hoodies!

Amber     at 4:13 pm

I am so intrigued by Stitch Fix but unfortunately they don’t serve Canada (yet!) I hope they open an office up here though.

I actually think that cardigan looked great on you! I think it’s meant to fit that way? I never would have thought it was too small based on that photo! LOVE that first green top – really lovely colour on you too!

Ack, maybe it was? I tried it on a few different times and it just didn’t feel quite right. But loved the look of it!

sarah     at 4:25 pm

I think you picked some good ones:) I love the first one and the dress looks great on you!! I have heard of stitch fix but I am super picky and simple at the same time. I do love that they include the styling card, what an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing, these posts are always fun to read!

Bridget S.     at 4:41 pm

I have seen many reviews of Stitch Fix, but yours is the only one to include prices, which I really appreciate. Thanks for the additional information! The green dress does look really great, and it would perfect for a slightly more casual birthday dinner. :)

Bri Reply:

Bridget, the cool thing is you can set your price range, which is really nice. They do a good job of staying in your budget.

Sure thing! Price obviously is a big part of choosing clothing, so I figured it makes sense to share.

Bri     at 4:48 pm

I LOVE stitch fix! I just got my first box and there were definitely some misses. I kept this blue cobalt blazer my stylist sent that I would never pick out in a million years, but loved and some ankle jeans. I hate to go shopping and never take any chances with my fashion so I am loving their service. Glad you liked it too!

Sally Mae     at 5:24 pm

Yes! Please do! You are so cute, and I think this is something everyone can relate to. With only one toddler in tow it is still impossible to go shopping. I spend WAY too much time searching for outfit ideas on Pinterest (but, it’s just SO fun!) and it at least helps me figure out WHAT to buy when I do go shopping or buy online. But, I always have to try things on. I have wide shoulders and NO boobs anymore so it’s just trial and error I guess. Sometimes I think I need to stop buying clothes because if I do have another baby I’m sure none of them will fit anymore…but feeling good about your appearance is such an important part of your mental health. Sorry to ramble on, but I too cared NOTHING about fashion until I became a mom and needed to find a way to boost my self-esteem about my new body and not be so confused when I was trying to get dressed in the morning. Same thing with makeup. Thumbs up!

Sally Mae Reply:

And, I am really sorry to hear about your mastitis. The fact that you pulled off this post in spite of that is a testament to how awesome you are. :)

Thanks Sallie. It is HORRIBLE! And to your comment above, that is exactly how I feel. Do I NEED to dress nicely and put on makeup? Definitley not. Cullen has a cold and we never left the house today. But is it important for my confidence and self-esteem? YES, and that absolutely matters! Postpartum life (and bodies!) can feel really confusing, and putting some effort into my appearance has definitely helped me.

Brandy     at 5:28 pm

I love when people post their stitchfix items. Please make this a monthly thing. So fun!

Lauren     at 5:36 pm

I’m SO excited that you’re posting more often :) and yes please share future stitch fixes! I’m a broke college student so it’s a bit out of my league right now, but I’m excited to try it when I get my first job :)

Doing my best! Thanks Lauren. :)

Melissa     at 5:57 pm

Iv read a lot of these stitch fix reviews and this was seriously by far the best! I appreciate you sharing the prices, I just assumed they were all designer and outrageous! Also great descriptions and honest feedback. Please keep the reviews coming! I’m going to try stitch once I have this baby and will definitely use your link. Thx for sharing!

Sure thing – price makes a big difference when choosing clothes! I’m not a designer clothes type of girl. The nicest I get is Anthropologie. :)

Alyson     at 6:10 pm

Fabulous! I’m so excited for you. I would have loved an option like this when I had tinies and couldn’t get out to get nice clothes for me.

Allie     at 6:11 pm

OOh I’m so excited to see this. I just signed up for my first fix and am nervously/excitedly looking forward to it’s arrival! The silk dress looks awesome on you!! And you made the right call on that blue sweater – cute, but definitely to small.

Haha – see, I thought so!

Emily     at 6:42 pm

Yes! I love seeing people’s fixes!!! One of these days I will take the plunge

Do it!! You have nothing to lose!

Elle     at 7:00 pm

I love stitch fix! I read a ton of reviews while I was waiting for my shipment and it seemed like the key was to be really specific about likes and dislikes and your shape. I set up a pinterest specifically for my stitch fix stylist with examples of things that would work and wouldn’t work (I’m tall with an out of proportion chest so normal clothing doesn’t always work). And I pinned things that had gone out in other fixes to say “yes things like this” or “no, not this.” My stylist nailed all 5 items on my first fix, and I kept 2 out of the second fix. I need a fresh supply of clothes for work and hate shopping so it is perfect for me.

Wow, impressive! I can’t get into Pinterest (I know, criminal, right?) but that seems like a good way to do it.

joanne     at 7:02 pm

Fun post Emily!

Kerri     at 7:08 pm

This is so…AWESOME! I have never heard of this. I hate shopping and know I am not good at fashion, but also know that my clothes are not so good anymore. I have been buying things online but most of them are a bust. Thank you!

Yay, so glad you are excited about it! I have had a lot of fun with it so far, and am looking forward to more.

Allison     at 7:48 pm

Loved reading your fixes! Hope you continue to share!

Thanks Allison!

Katie     at 8:40 pm

That’s funny, I got that same green top in my first box. I think we have similar style but it wasn’t flattering on me :( I’m also giving stitch fix a second chance, mostly because I hate shopping. Fingers crossed!

Haha maybe after you sent it back they sent it to me! :)

sarah cross     at 9:40 pm

I loved this. Im not going to lie, I was surprised to see a post on Stitch Fix from you but a very GOOD surprise. Please do more! I also loved that you included the price also – NOT to be nosey but as someone who is interested in trying it out, it’s good to know what the prices are around so I am not shocked when I get the clothes.

sarah cross     at 9:41 pm

and so so sorry about the mastitis! Praying this is your last bout of it and it stays away forever.

ME TOO!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run     at 9:47 pm

the dress is so you and flattering! :)

lindsay     at 12:30 am

I’ve done stitchfix a few times now and I gave similar instructions on a box for January (postpartum style) and also felt they missed the mark! I did get one top I loved though but would have hoped for more. I’vealways liked at least one item so the service has been worth it to me!

Yeah they took the “postpartum” thing a bit too far for me — everything was huge and dumpy. Hard request though to fill without seeing someone, so I was certainly willing to try again.

Tina     at 6:21 am

Wonder if they only cater to younger women or also have styles for us “more mature” types?

Tina, I have no idea but definitely a good question to ask! I don’t think any of the pieces I’ve been sent were particularly “young.” I asked for Anthropologie-style clothes, which I think can definitely fit my age through yours. I think it’s all about being as thorough and specific in the style profile as possible.

Jess     at 6:29 am

The problem I have always had with Stitchfix is I do not recognize the brands – can you explain this a little bit? Who makes the clothes? And where are they made?

From the FAQ’s… “We work with over 200 of the best up-and-coming labels and brands—the kinds featured in magazines and on stylish celebs.
For example, your Stitch Fix might feature clothing by Collective Concepts, Kut From The Kloth, Daniel Rainn, Kensie, Kensie Jeans, Under Skies, L.A. Made, Sanctuary Clothing, Mystree, Tart Collections, or 41Hawthorn.
Part of the fun of Stitch Fix is that we will introduce you to new brands to help diversify your wardrobe!”

KT Reply:

LOVE Kut from the Kloth!

Stephanie     at 6:34 am

I would love to see more of your monthly Stitch Fixes, and hope you share them! You look great, too, by the way! :)

Thanks Stephanie!

Rachel Mooney     at 7:26 am

I signed up for StichFix many moons ago when I saw on another mom blog. I never actually pulled the trigger and had anything sent to me (even though at the time there was a WAIT LIST to get in and I was approved). I am SO TERRIBLE about returning things that I order online. Like really the prepaid envelope doesn’t even convince me that I’d send it back in the mail. Like you, most of my wardrobe is from Target (and I like it that way!). These prices are a little too steep for my liking. Could you do a post on where you get your workout clothes/shoes? I’d LOVE to see your workout gear! My best,

Rachel

Kris     at 7:28 am

Sorry about this latest bout with mastitis! Can your healthcare practioner figure out why you keep getting it, so you don’t have to keep getting it so much? Love your Stitchfix! I keep thinking about it, but am a really thrifty shopper (most of my wardrobe is ON)and think I would be unhappy with the prices. Love what you kept, although I loved the blue/white sweater too, and honestly wonder why they would send a BFing mom a silk dress? Looks great on you though! Oh, you said it’s $20/month for Stitchfix, but think you meant to say $20 styling fee per fix.

April     at 7:35 am

Ah, so glad you finally tried Stitch Fix! Isn’t it perfect for mama’s how have no time (or energy) to shop? I get a fix today:)
I want to say i actually loved the Slouchy Stitched-Stripe Open Cardigan, i don’t think it was too small at all on you! Looking fab mama!

Belinda     at 8:21 am

I love seeing what people get from Stitch-Fix. Please keep posting :)

Robin     at 8:21 am

Thanks for sharing! I completely relate on so many fronts! 90% of my wardrobe comes from Target or Kohls. Working from home, my go-to style is jeans and a thermal shirt in the winter or a t-shirt in the summer. When my kiddos were young, I completely avoided accessories. Nothing like having earrings yanked from your ears or necklaces used to strangle you! Surprisingly, I suddenly found myself drawn to scarves once my children were older. I think I loved that they are so versatile and always make me feel a little dressed up without being overly done.

Christine     at 8:47 am

I ADORE Stitch Fix! The best ever – I live rural so hard to go shopping all the time and stay super current and look great – with Stitch Fix they shop for me – I only need to fill in with a few items to make my wardrobe stretch. By the way – I am 61 years young and told Stitch Fix most people think i am 10 years younger – they listen and dress me perfect! Every month receiving my Stitch Fix box is like Christmas! Soo fun! Try a month – I bet you will be hooked!

Shannan     at 9:04 am

ooooh, I love this! I am looking forward to seeing more of your monthly goodies!

Eliza     at 9:40 am

I’m thinking that I need to sign up for Stitch Fix. I hate to shop and, after a year working from home, I’m almost out of ideas for what to wear when I transition into an “out of the house” job. (Which will hopefully be sooner, rather than later.)

I’m digging the dolman top. It’s a shame that that cut looks not so fly on me.

erica     at 11:21 am

I’ve been dying to try stitch fix!

Jesse     at 11:53 am

love the dolman top, so many possibilities for that!

Julianne     at 1:16 pm

I’ve nursed four children and I know all about mastitis. A great cure for it is cabbage leaves. Put one green cabbage leaf in affected side. It takes away the swelling and pain. Change leaves often as they get warm and wilted. It works great!

Emilyl J     at 1:31 pm

Love the dress, and you look great in it! Keeper!

Lauren     at 1:46 pm

I just got my first fix this week too! It is so much fun! I am already looking forward to my next box!

Krystie     at 5:23 pm

I’m so thankful you shared! I jump on the stitch fix boat right after reading your posts. Fingers crossed for a great package!

Amy     at 6:32 pm

I had heard of Stitchfix on other blogs, but you’re the first who actually shows the prices (something I totally appreciate!). I hope you continue sharing your fixes.

Also, any chance you could talk about what makeup you use now? You look amazing! I never have any idea what makeup to use (and am typically short on time), so I’d love to get ideas.

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 8:36 pm

Hope you get to 100% really soon! That sounds so miserable. I’ve really been wanting to try Stitch Fix because I find myself needing a wardrobe pick-me-up and I just haven’t found the time to go to the mall that has the stores I like. Knowing that you can use the $20 styling fee towards an item if you choose to keep it makes me want to sign up!

Leah P.     at 5:48 am

I loved this post! It was so fun to see what items you received–like Christmas every month! Definitely keep us posted on the coming months.

Elizabeth     at 9:46 am

LOVE your “keeps”! Both tops are adorable and LOVE the dress! Great color on you.

Glad you are feeling better!

Lara     at 12:55 pm

You look great in all these but I think you made the right choices. Although I do really love that striped sweater on you!

It’s disappointing to hear that they don’t allow you to exchange sizes. If someone from Stitch Fix is reading this, can you please address this issue?

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 2:23 pm

Not sure how I missed this post…but delighted I found it! Prob one of the best stitch fix posts in terms of liking the items! They really had you sussed! Love the colour of the dress!

char eats greens     at 7:55 am

I love that sweater you returned!! I totally would try Stitch Fix out if I lived in the states. Maybe one day :)

Kat     at 8:35 am

Hi Emily! I am a new mom, my little guy turns one month on Saturday :) I was just wondering, what do you think is causing your mastitis? Are some women more prone to it than others? I am breastfeeding my son and I am so scared to get it! We are just getting over a case of thrush which succckkked and now that I am pain free, I am hoping to stay that way so we can really get back into the swing of things.

Once I feel a bit more back to my regular self, I am planning on doing stitch fix as well!

Rebecca     at 8:47 am

How funny, I definitely got that green dolman top in my first (and only) Stitchfix – it was in December 2012 though! I returned it, as I’m not a fan of dolman-style tops. Hmm… makes me wonder how long they keep styles in their inventory.

Emily     at 9:46 am

I hate giving advice (just as much as I hate getting it), but as someone who suffers from excruciatingly painful plugged ducts, I wanted to share this: lecithin supplements. They’re like WD-40 for your ducts. I haven’t had a problem since I started taking them. I’m not even sure if you’ll read this, since I’m late to comment, but maybe it’ll help! ::end advice::

Lesley Reply:

I totally agree about lecithin! I had mastitis twice (both rounds within 2 months of each other) with my first daughter. I talked to a lactation consultant at the hospital and she suggested trying lecithin. After I started taking it, I didn’t get mastitis for the next 13 months of breastfeeding and weaning. When I had my second daughter, I started taking lecithin right away and have had 0 plugged ducts and no mastitis!

I am definitely going to look into this!!

Definitely going to look into this!!!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Thirty Three.     at 2:16 pm

[...] And then we got cleaned up to head out for another delicious meal.  I finally got to wear my birthday dress from [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Weekly Wrap Up: Volume 2.     at 8:29 am

[...] the week – my third Stitchfix box arrived!  A lot of you said you wanted to see more of the Stitchfix selections, but I don’t see myself doing entire posts on it once a month.  I’ll probably just toss it [...]