Snowy Seattle.

I know a lot of you (hello my southern friends!) are under a blanket of snow right now.  Growing up in Ohio, I am no stranger to massive snowbanks and afternoons spent dragging a sled up and down a hill over and over again.  In our almost-three years here in Seattle, it has now snowed a total of four times!  I’m not complaining though.  As much as I love the white stuff when it’s fresh and pretty, I hate driving in it and I’ve become a huge wimp in the cold.  I like snow that comes and goes just as quickly.

This past weekend – we got exactly that!

It started snowing late on Saturday night, and I was so excited to get Cullen out of bed on Sunday morning.  He ran over to the window and yelled “snowing!” with his face pressed against the glass.  Is there anything better?

Casey suggested that since the roads didn’t look bad (we only had 2-3 inches, if that), we drive over to Gasworks Park and let Cullen run around in a giant snowy space (instead of dodging snowy dog poop in our backyard).  It was so cool to see one of Seattle’s greenest spaces totally blanketed in white!

Summer…

IMG_0417-640x427

And winter!  Such a gorgeous place, no matter the season.  Looks like a black and white photo!

Graham was snuggled up like a little teddy bear on my chest – so warm and cozy.

It was such a fun place to be early on Sunday morning.  We were there by 9am and it was already packed with being sledding down giant hills and making big snow structures.  I love how snow brings out this contagious youthful energy in everyone.

Graham’s first snow!  He didn’t come out and play last time, as our snow only lasted about an hour.  He wasn’t quite sure what to think.

We went out to our favorite breakfast spot, and then squeezed in a bit more snow fun at home before nap time.  Casey and Cullen built this awesome snowman!

Cullen loved it and wouldn’t stop giving him hugs and kisses.  All day long he’d run to the window and check on the snowman to see if he was still there.

Naturally, this brought some drama when Mr. Snowman started to melt.  Cullen decided he was scared of it and would run at maximum speed to get past him every time we went in and out of the house.  Toddlers, I tell ya.

It all melted just as fast as it came, and there is no trace of these memories now other than in my camera.  We’re back to 50’s and sunny here today, but we sure did have fun with the little bit of snow that we had.

A quick post for today – just some fun weekend memories.  Off to bake some blueberry muffins with my two year old before our playgroup comes over.  Back tomorrow with a fun update on a little someone who just turned four months old.  Pinch me!

Ashley     at 9:04 am

Graham in that bear suit!! Ahhh! Funny that Cullen was scared of the melting snowman. Definitely a weird thing for a kid to grasp!

Janelle     at 9:07 am

1) The fact that Cullen gave the snowman hugs and kisses… and then decided he was scared of it and would run past it cracks me up. So cute.
2) Lovely pics of a snow day!
3) You mentioned growing up in Ohio. My husband and I may be moving to Cleveland (from Montana!) in a few months – kind of crazy. Please tell me it’s lovely there. Haha.

Abby Reply:

Sorry to hijack, but I’m from Cleveland and my husband’s from Montana (Billings, but he’s been all over and also grew up partly in small-town Wyoming).

I can confirm that Cleveland is an incredible, fun, vibrant city! If you have any specific questions, I’m happy to help. :)

Janelle Reply:

Thanks for jumping in! It sounds like a fun city; I’m sure it will be great. We are just sad to leave our mountains and the recreation that comes with them. It sounds like Cleveland has a decent park system, though, yes? If you have any ideas for hiking or biking near Cleveland, we’d love to hear your suggestions. :)

I am from Cincinnati — other side of the state — but Ohio in general is wonderful! But I’m probably biased. :)

Janelle Reply:

I was actually born in Ohio, but I don’t remember it at all! Thanks for your response.

Andrea     at 9:21 am

Wasn’t the snow awesome?! It was perfect. I joke with my friends and family back in the midwest that “THAT is how snow is done”. lol Snows beautifully for a day- lasts over the weekend and then melts off and is gone by Monday morning commute. lol We just moved a few weekends ago (Super Bowl weekend!)and needless to say we now live on a hill on top of a bigger hill. (yikes!) But luckily there is a new elementary school a few blocks over so the one road in and one road out is kept pretty clear unless they declare a closure.

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 9:21 am

The perfect kind of snow in my book!!! Plenty of time for some fun and all gone for the work week with minimal disruption :) Gorgeous pics as always, Graham is so cute in his little onesie!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries     at 9:22 am

Adorable photos!! I’m sure Cullen is just loving the snow. I can’t believe Graham is already four months – time flies!

Ashley N.     at 9:26 am

What beautiful photos! Living in Wisconsin, I have to say that I prefer snow through photos. :) As I type this, it’s currently pouring snow outside.

Regina     at 10:23 am

At 30 weeks pregnant with our 2nd son, seeing your posts and pictures makes me even more excited for our newest little mans arrival in April

Jesse     at 10:25 am

we got about 9 inches today and ots just beautiful! my son is going mad over it, we played outside until he was freezing:)

Elizabeth @ Positive Change     at 10:25 am

Such a great memory!
Time is flying, I can’t believe that he is 4 months!

SNC     at 10:49 am

I’m in Chicago and WISH we had short little snowfalls like this! Anyway, there is a very cute book – Snowmen at Night – that addresses the melting snowman issue. Maybe not totally necessary in Seattle, but fun for a toddler who’s a little freaked out by it!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 12:54 pm

Such cute family photos. I love the last one in the bear suite with the snowman.

sarah     at 3:32 pm

Oh I miss Seattle! We moved to San Diego and as much as I am not complaining…75 and sunny today, I do miss playing in the snow! Love the picture of Cullen hugging the snowman…how darling. I can only imagine the drama when he started to melt:(

Mylene     at 3:59 pm

You have such a beautiful family! I have to admit, I would quite enjoy snow that comes and goes overnight…up here in Ottawa, Canada, we’ve been buried in snow since late November. This winter has been especially cold, and there’s no end in sight just yet. I am ready for spring!

Boo, hope it warms up sooner than later!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 4:43 pm

Great pictures!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 5:12 pm

This looks like such a fun time for you all! Glad you all could get out and enjoy the snow some!

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody)     at 6:16 pm

Looks like a fantastic (and cold) day out. The blanket of snow is so beautiful and that teddy suit is adorable.

Elisabeth     at 6:26 pm

I’m from Ohio, too, and am well used to snow. However, I just moved to the Raleigh area in December and yesterday’s snow/ice storm was just nuts! It took me 5 1/2 hours to drive 24 miles home from work (which I had to go to as an essential hospital employee).

Yikes – be safe down there! It snowed once when we lived in Charlotte and the whole city freaked out.

Tamara     at 8:51 pm

I often wish I could have that child like excitement over snow again!

anne     at 9:21 pm

Cullen funny hugging that snowman in the picture – cracked me up so bad! Your family photos are just the best!

Maryea {happy healthy mama}     at 3:33 am

Man, Seattle is gorgeous. I think its beauty makes up for all the rain. Thanks for sharing these beautiful shots.

Oh for sure!! And there isn’t nearly as much rain as the reputation would make you think. :)

Eliza {Super Swell Times}     at 7:40 am

I love getting outside in the snow! Yesterday we went ice skating at the park behind my house and there were tons of kids skating and sledding. It was really awesome to see them playing outside.

Seattle looks beautiful. Definitely somewhere that I want to visit.

Jess     at 1:47 pm

I really like your parka — where is it from?

It’s by Guess, from Nordstrom Rack!

Emily     at 1:51 pm

LOVE that first picture of Cullen beside the snowman! Too adorable!!!

Vanessa     at 6:44 am

I totally share your opinion on snow, I like it as long as it doesn’t interfere with traffic and as long as it doesn’t start to turn into mud and awfulness, haha.
Seattle is an awesome place for all seasons, the photos you took capture that perfectly, and your family looks very pretty and happy, your kids with their big blue eyes are exceptionally cute!
I’m a huge fan of your blog, please keep writing, I’m looking forward to reading new posts from you!

Thanks Vanessa!

Gabrielle     at 6:48 am

(catching up on your blog) I am in Atlanta, and our snow and ice was so miserable – glad you guys enjoyed yours! The mention of snowy dog poop made me want to share biodegradable poop bags with you! There are several brands now, and I highly recommend. Not sure if they’re made in USA though. :)