Thirty Three.

Monday was my thirty third birthday.  Is it just me or does thirty three sound way older than thirty two?  I kicked off my big day in the best way possible – curled up in bed with all my favorite people.  Graham had a great night of sleep the night before (10pm – 5am!) and Cullen stayed in his room until the blue light turned off.  We were all well-rested and in happy moods in the morning.

20140224_071538 (640x360)

Casey’s parents are in town visiting this week, so we made our way downstairs to join them for breakfast.

I got to open a few gifts…

And Casey made his famously awesome scrambled eggs (soooo much better than mine!) for breakfast.

By thirty three, I’ve had my share of birthday celebrations and fun.  The only thing I really wanted to do to make my day special was to relax and have a fun day as a family.  Casey took the day off of work and we all just hung out and enjoyed each other’s company.  I might feel old, but I also feel like life just continues to get more and more full with each passing year.

thirtythree

It was really rainy and gross outside, so we spent the morning enjoying toddler time at the Seattle Aquarium.  Cullen even had some buddies there!

20140224_100726 (640x361)

20140224_102832 (359x640)

And we were home in time to hang out and enjoy time with Mimi and Grandpa before nap time too.

During Cullen’s nap time, Casey and I took advantage of having extra helpers and babysitters around, and we snuck out for a special birthday lunch.  All my friends have been raving about this new Dim Sum spot, and I was dying to go.

20140224_135922 (359x640)

Started with some bubble tea – my favorite!

20140224_141324 (358x640)

Followed by seaweed and bean curd salad in a vinegar dressing…

20140224_141441 (640x360)

Vegetarian dumplings…

20140224_141928 (640x361)

Veggie sticky rice cakes…

20140224_142425 (640x360)

And two veggie steamed buns.  SO so good.  I already can’t wait to go back!

20140224_142548 (359x640)

We hung out at home in the afternoon and just relaxed as a family.  And then we got cleaned up to head out for another delicious meal.  I finally got to wear my birthday dress from Stitchfix

Looking blurry (and like I’m wearing a banana hat), but also just so grateful to this guy for making me feel special and celebrated, and for making every day such a treat.

Casey and I went out to one of the best dinners I’ve had in I don’t even know how long.  We went to a spot called Staple and Fancy, and chose the option to turn our menus back in and just eat whatever the kitchen sent out for us (only limitation being vegetarian, of course).  It was seriously amazing.  They just brought plate after plate of delicious fresh food, and we had no idea what was next or when it would stop coming.

20140224_200955 (640x360)

We talked and laughed and ate and had such a great time.  We remembered all the crazy things we’ve done together and laughed at how outrageous some of it was back when we were “young.”  It was perfect.

birthdaydinner

I might feel kind of old, but I sure do feel lucky.  Looking forward to seeing all that this year might bring!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 2:29 pm

Happy Birthday once again!!! It just sounds old to you! Seriously you’re a spring chicken still!!! Quite the Birthday day! Both meals sound fantastic! Em…scrambled egg recipe from Casey…pretty please!!

Angela     at 2:44 pm

Happy belated birthday! Looks like you had a great time (and everyone slept to boot!). When I feel like I’m getting old I just tell myself that some day I will look back on this and think how young I really was. I remember turning 21 and saying to my best friend we were “old” now. haha. Now that I think back to that I can’t believe I even felt that way in the slightest. When I was a kid I thought 20 was ancient though. It’s all perspective I guess. Not sure why I’m blabbing on about this…lol.
I can’t get over how adorable your boys are…you have the cutest family.

Definitely all about perspective — I did the same thing!! :)

Theresa     at 2:50 pm

Happy Birthday!! It sounds like a perfect day celebrating with your favorite people!

Tamicka     at 2:52 pm

33 does sound older than 32 cuz it is lol. You look awesome for being a mother of two as well as 33. Sure domt look it. I’m Glad your day was awesome and I hope you see very many more birthdays filled with that much love.

Janelle     at 2:59 pm

Happy (late) birthday! I’m 27 (and I don’t have kids), but I also feel like each year gets better and more full of the things that matter. Being young is so overrated. Haha. ;)

Very well said — couldn’t agree more! :)

dishing up the dirt     at 3:01 pm

happy birthday Emily. You make 33 look pretty darn good :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 3:25 pm

Happy Birthday! I’m turning 36 (eeekkk!) in a few weeks. That sounds sooooooo much older than 35 to me. Sounds like you had a perfect day to celebrate another great year!

Lee     at 3:29 pm

Happy Birthday, Emily.

Sara     at 3:37 pm

Happy birthday! Sounds like a great day!

katecooks     at 3:57 pm

I love the concept of turning in your menu and getting a complete vegetarian tasting experience — sounds so cool!

caitlinhtp     at 4:46 pm

happy birthday dear friend!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 5:23 pm

Sounds like a wonderful day — Happy Birthday!

Emily     at 6:32 pm

So glad you had a happy birthday!!!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 6:34 pm

Happy Birthday!! You look amazing and I am so glad you got a wonderful day with your family!

padma     at 6:59 pm

Happy Belated Birthday Emily! It looks like you had the perfect day!

Melissa     at 7:00 pm

I just turned 33 too last week….it does sound/seem way older than 32. haha

Happy Birthday!

Elisabeth     at 7:06 pm

Happy 33rd! I’ll be turning 32 in May & can’t believe I’m not still in my 20′s…ha!

Carly M     at 7:21 pm

Both those restaurants sound fabulous! I might need to make a trip to Ballard.

Happy birthday!

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 7:23 pm

I just saw this video circulating facebook that is a message to the popular kids in high school and it says that life doesn’t get better. That they’ve peaked in high school. I’ve never been so happy that I wasn’t a popular kid in high school because I agree–life just keeps getting better. I love my 30s :-) Happy Birthday, my friend!

Maria     at 7:48 pm

You have a beautiful family and I hope you had a very happy birthday!

Anna     at 8:00 pm

First time commenter! I’ve been following your blog for a while and really enjoy your recipes (I’ve made a few and they were delish :) ) and your family posts. Your boys are so cute! :) I have 2 boys as well (5 and 3 years old). Happy 33rd Birthday!

P.S. I thought it was so cool that you posted a photo of bubble tea. I live in Vancouver, BC, so it’s bubble tea central here :)

Rebecca     at 9:11 pm

Happy Birthday! I feel like an old wise woman saying that 33 feels young to me (being 39). Staple and Fancy is one of my favorite restaurants. I LOVE having the chef’s meal. So good! What a fantastic way to celebrate a wonderful start to another year.

Luna     at 11:54 pm

Happy Birthday Emily!!Auguri from Italy :>)

Shari     at 4:57 am

Glad you had a wonderful birthday! :)

Carey Reynolds     at 5:26 am

33 is SOOOOO young, truly, really. I think women are in the prime between 30 and 40.

Katy     at 5:43 am

We use the Sleep Buddy, too! Saved us during a time when my two-year-old decided to start getting up every day ay 5:00am!

leatitia     at 6:17 am

Beautiful family, beautiful women. Happy birthday dear Emily!

leatitia     at 6:17 am

*woman! ;)

Betsy     at 6:29 am

Happy birthday! I’m so glad you were able to enjoy time with your family!

Julie     at 6:38 am

Happy b-day! Sounds like a WONDERFUL day! Loved hearing about it. :)

Haley S     at 6:48 am

Happy Belated!! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Your little boys are too cute :)

April     at 7:02 am

Ah, Happy Birthday and you are NOT old (coming from a 44-year old:) Beautiful family pics as always, are those ‘selfies’ of you and the boys??? I need some tips:)

Gabrielle     at 7:07 am

Considering I’ll turn 53 in a month you are a kid! ;) I’m glad you had such a nice birthday. Love your photos so much.

Becky     at 7:46 am

Happy belated birthday, honey! I wish you all the happiness in the world and many delicious dishes, for you sure as hell deserve it all!
And wow, it really looks like you made the most out of your special day, all that food looks super yummy! You and your kiddos, and that lucky guy, look like you’ve been having tons of fun!
You look gorgeous, especially in that blue dress, I love how the color goes with your hair color.
Have a great week!

Eliza {Super Swell Times}     at 7:56 am

Happy Birthday! No matter how old you get, it’s always nice to have a special day.

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy}     at 8:13 am

Happy Birthday!! It looks like you had a great day of celebration with the people you love!

Leah     at 8:35 am

I’m glad you found the time to post (another) recap of your life, but didn’t you “promise” last week that you had a great soup recipe? I’ve loved all your recipes that I’ve tried, and I was looking forward to this one.

Since your header says that this site is “a resource for healthy recipes, cooking tips, and inspiration for active living,” I hope you’re able to post it.

Jess Reply:

uh oh…do you hear that sound? you’d better run….it’s the
BLOG POLICE!!

Oh noes!

Elizabeth Reply:

Wow, on a BIRTHDAY post no less. Way to try and ruin a special day recap for someone! People’s blogs ebb and flow with what is going on in their lives, things change.

Love your family recaps and parenting stuff Emily! Keep it up please :)

Nicole Reply:

I agree with Elizabeth, this was a birthday post that was supposed to be fun and enjoyable both for Emily and her audience. Leah, this is emily’s blog and how she chooses to run it is really up to her. Sure, we are her audience and we give feedback but she said she would post the recipe and if that might be a little later than planned then so be it.

Emily, I love your blog and your writing style is so enjoyable. You truly make your readers feel like we are apart of your family! Hope you have a wonderful Friday and weekend!

As a side note, I LOVE your recap posts brings lots of smiles to my day! Thanks!

Leah Reply:

As another Leah I’d like to comment here as well (long time reader, huge fan)…Emily’s blog is the highlight of my blog-reading. I love to read anything from family, travel, healthy cooking, moving stories…it’s the blog I forward most often to family and friends (and a vegan friend recently for that lovely soup recipe Emily posted recently).

You are so sweet, Leah. Thanks!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries     at 8:57 am

Happy Birthday! Glad to hear you had a special day. :)

Tricia     at 9:10 am

You don’t look like you’re 33 at all! I would say, mid to late 20′s!

Jesse     at 9:10 am

HBD, lady! Looks like a great day was had by all!

Marie     at 10:30 am

Great post! Happy Birthday! Looks like it was the perfect day!

Raychel     at 11:45 am

I went to Din Tai Fung this summer when I was visiting Seattle- I loved it! Looks like you had a great birthday!

sarah cross     at 12:08 pm

Happy Birthday! Hope you felt super special – which looks like your family did a great job of that!

And Casey’s eggs look super yummy. Guest post from him to explain how he makes them so fluffy!!!!!!!!

Amy     at 12:40 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!!

Sally     at 1:26 pm

Happy birthday! Kind of a strange question, but your date night made me curious if you both still completely abstain from drinking? Do you ever have an occasional glass of wine or beer on special occasions, or has it been so long you don’t even think about it anymore? Hope this question doesn’t offend you…not the intention at all!

Lisa     at 2:45 pm

Happy Birthday Emily. It looks like you had a wonderful day, and the food looked delicious.

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 6:21 pm

Happy late birthday, Emily! It looks like you had a great day and I hope this year is your happiest yet!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 11:27 am

What a fun birthday day. Happy Birthday!!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 5:21 am

What a fun birthday! I love the shoes you wore out to dinner!

Leah     at 12:48 pm

I did one of those “the chef brings out what he wants for you” dinner and it’s something I’ll never forget. It was all farm-to-table and was an “anti Valentine’s dinner” 1 week after V-day. My hubby and I felt like it was a reality show or something (private room, small group of us). Loved it. Glad to see you had a great B’day!

Rachel     at 9:22 am

33! NO WAY! You are still rocking that 20-something look!