Banana Coconut Overnight Chia Pudding.

We’ve been making this for a few months now in our house, but I’m just now getting it photographed and ready to share with you.  Chia pudding is not a new thing (although to you it might be!), but what I am most excited about is the ridiculously easy way I’ve been making it.

Chia seeds have been a food trend for a couple of years now.  They are high in fiber, omega-3’s, and they are a great source of antioxidants – just to name a few of their many health benefits.  For a tiny seed, they pack a big punch!  We sprinkle them in oatmeal, add them to homemade granola bars, and use them as egg substitutes sometimes in vegan baking.  And now, we eat them for breakfast.

Banana Coconut Overnight Chia Pudding

by Emily Malone

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: overnight

Ingredients (4-6 servings)

• 1 bag Trader Joe’s chia seeds (5.3oz/150g)
  • 1 box Trader Joe’s unsweetened coconut milk (32oz/1qt)
  • 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1-2 cups shredded coconut
  • 3-4 medium bananas

Instructions

Here is where the real magic of this “recipe” happens.  I am going to apologize up front for my international and non-Trader-Joe-accessible readers.  But you can replicate the same thing using the measurements from the TJ’s packaging!  And for my fellow TJ-addicted friends, here we go…

You add one bag of chia seeds and one box of unsweetened coconut milk to your TJ’s shopping cart.  On Friday night, while your husband/friend/cat is doing the dishes after dinner, you prep breakfast for the next morning.  Dump the entire bag of chia seeds into the storage container where you’ll keep the pudding until ready.

Then shake and pour the entire box of coconut milk in too.

Cover and shake rapidly for several seconds until well mixed.  Aaaaaaaand – that’s it.

YOU GUYS – it is the perfect ratio for mixing into the most deeeeelicious breakfast pudding.  No measuring cups and no thinking required.  Open and pour – doesn’t get easier than that.  You are as excited about this as I am, right?

Leave it on the counter for about an hour before refrigerating. I’ve found that this helps for best absorption rather than refrigerating right away.  Stick it into the fridge overnight and pull it out the following morning. It should be much thicker and more gel-like now, as the seeds will have absorbed much of the liquid and will look wet and puffy.

Now it’s time for the mix-in’s…

Stir in the maple syrup (sweeten to your preference!).  You can decide how to serve it to your breakfast companions. I prefer to slice one banana into each individual bowl and then pour the chia pudding overtop.

Then I sprinkle each bowl with shredded coconut and mix it all up, before finally adding some extra coconut flakes to the top.

But you can also just add the bananas and coconut to the whole big mixture and combine before serving – up to you! If you are eating it all right away, this is probably easiest. If not, I prefer to add bananas and coconut just before serving (so they aren’t too soggy).  If you prefer to add more of a crunch, I highly recommend some honey roasted sliced almonds – so good!

If you’ve never had anything like this before, you might be thrown off by the texture (a bit, gummy maybe?) but give it a chance.  It’s a great cold breakfast alternative to something more sugary and carb-heavy like granola or cereal.  And honestly after a long winter I am so over oatmeal.  This is refreshing and keeps me full all morning (all that soluble fiber!).

We’ve been eating this at least once a week for the past few weeks, and Cullen literally cannot get enough.  Breakfast is his best meal of the day, but I’m still shocked at how much he likes it.  And he has this really adorable way of asking for it where he calls it “chia puuuh’din” – too much, I tell ya.

So simple, so tasty.  As always, enjoy.

Powered by Recipage

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl     at 10:57 am

This sounds fantastic! I have made chia seed pudding before, but never in a way that is THIS easy! How long does it normally stay good for in the fridge? I only cook for myself most of the time.

We keep it 3-4 days without anything added in (bananas and coconut). We just add the mixins to our bowls as we go so it all stays fresher.

Theresa     at 11:20 am

The photos make this look fantastic! I love chia seeds, but I don’t know if I could handle the texture of this. Is that coconut milk the same that’s in the can? Or is it thinner? I’ve never noticed it in the carton like that, I always buy the TJ’s can.

Much thinner than what’s in the can — more like an almond milk. Give it a chance! And if you are freaked out by the texture add some sliced almonds for crunch. :)

Morgan     at 11:54 am

I’ve been thinking about trying something new for breakfast…while I can tolerate oatmeal I’m not really a fan. Thanks for sharing.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More     at 12:27 pm

I’ve been on a HUGE chia pudding kick! It’s one of my favorite things! I’ll have to try leaving mine out on the counter for a bit before putting that in the fridge to see if it changes anything. :)

Rachel     at 12:31 pm

Do you have any suggestions for a liquid that isn’t coconut milk? I know you love, but I don’t like coconut anything :( and I don’t know what would be another equally useful option. Thanks!

Cori Reply:

Almond milk or cow’s milk!

Alicia Reply:

You could probably use almond, soy, or rice milk.

Rachel Reply:

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if there was something specifically in the coconut milk that made it necessary – will try with almond milk or cow’s milk!

leatitia     at 12:34 pm

I’ll try this with my toddler! Maple syrup (NOT mixed in, very important mommy) will sell it. ;-)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 12:40 pm

This looks delicious, easy and perfect for a quick morning breakfast! Thanks for sharing Emily :)

Jessica @ RunYourMuttOff     at 1:02 pm

Hmm, It looks good, but I just can’t get myself to try chia puddling. I add chia seeds to my daily smoothie. After a couple failed smoothies I realized – if I use all frozen berries the smoothie is great but if I use fresh berries (usually a way to get rid of them right before they go bad) then my smoothie turns to thick (as you describe it, ‘gummy’) sludge. I can’t stand that texture which is why I’m scared to make the pudding.

Hannah     at 1:16 pm

Yum!!! I’ve been meaning to try this. I do chia/banana/oatmeal/almond milk overnight oats, but I’ve never left out the oatmeal. I’m going to try it using almond milk!! Thanks for the idea.

Caroline     at 1:34 pm

I am a huge fan of chia seeds! I’ve been putting them in oatmeal and in my drinks while I’m biking- yum! This sounds delicious.

Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight     at 2:24 pm

I use chia seeds in my Greek yogurt, frozen cherries, sliced almond, raw honey snack. yum!

Beks     at 2:31 pm

I might have to give this one a whirl. I tried chia pudding awhile back, and it might’ve been my mix-ins, but I wasn’t crazy about it. LOVE bananas, though. And I’m right there with you on oatmeal. So ready for something new!

Lizz     at 2:35 pm

I know the chia seeds absorb liquid and become jelly, but do they still have a bite? Like do they crunch in your teeth or are they completely soft like this?

Renee Reply:

I made it. The first day it had a few crunchy bits, but by the second day it reminded me of tapioca pudding.

dishing up the dirt     at 2:43 pm

This sounds fantastic Emily!!! Can’t wait to give it a whirl.

Ashley M. [at] (never)homemaker     at 4:05 pm

Yum! I’ve seen lots of photos of similar recipes on Pinterest, but just haven’t thought to try it yet! Maybe your post will push me over the edge. :)

Kristina     at 5:09 pm

Saw this post at work, went to TJ’s on my way home to get the goods, and have it in my fridge right now! I can hardly wait for tomorrow morning :) Sounds like such a yummy, easy way to get in lots of fiber! Thanks for posting such an easy recipe to replicate.

Anne     at 5:31 pm

This sounds great! I can’t wait to try it! I made chia pudding a while ago with mango added to the mix and it was pretty tasty.

Beth     at 8:07 pm

Sounds delicious…. And expensive! I don’t have a TD around here but at any of the other grocery chains this would add up fast! Not sure I can justify spending that much for a breakfast!

Beth Reply:

Oops- meant TJ not TD!

The chia seeds are 4.99 and the milk is 1.79. Not too bad for 4 to 6 servings!

Allison Reply:

@Beth I agree. I think it looks great but pricey plus toppings. I think it’s good for a treat but not an everyday breakfast compared to an egg and toast, or oatmeal, or an apple and peanut butter etc.. (Especially for a family!)

Renee Reply:

I thought it was cheaper than having a Fage greek yogurt. It made about 6-7 servings.

Gauri     at 9:00 pm

What are the amounts in the trader joe containers for those of us who don’t have access to tj’s? Thanks

Amounts are in parenthesis in the ingredient list!

Luv What You Do     at 9:04 pm

Oh yum! I always love your recipes! This one looks great and I was just telling my coworker how good it is to add coconut to PB and banana sandwiches.

Kade     at 10:30 pm

I can’t wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!

Maryea {happy healthy mama}     at 6:45 am

I love the ease of this! I’ve not loved chia pudding in the past, but recently saw that someone blend it, and maybe that will help me like it.

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 8:32 am

I didn’t know that TJs had coconut milk! We just got our TJs in Boulder (it’s the most exciting thing ever) but I haven’t seen the coconut milk. I will be all over that though the next time I go! I love that I don’t need to measure it all out! Anytime I can save a few steps, I’m happy :)

Ali     at 10:23 am

Yum!! I love chia seed pudding! I haven’t had any for a long time, but you’ve lit my fire to make it again.

Sigga     at 11:30 am

I make one serving of chia pudding every night before I go to bed to grab with me to work the next morning. I use a jar and mix in chia seeds, water, cream, cinnamon and stevia. Just before eating it I’ll add in shredded coconut or almonds and walnuts. It’s really delicious and so filling!

Jasmine     at 11:14 pm

Since first hearing about chia pudding a few years back I’ve been absolutely disgusted by the thought, but looking at your recipe I love all the ingredients and am so done with eating eggs and oatmeal every morning. I will be getting these ingredients tomorrow fo sho! ;) thanks

Yay hope you like it!!

Carolyn     at 8:08 am

YUM!!!!!! Going to TJs today to get these supplies :-) Thanks for sharing!

Kortney     at 10:16 am

Is the maple syrup 1-2 tablespoons for the whole thing or per serving? I just got back from the store buying everything for this! I’ve never had chia seeds before and am very intrigued!

For the whole thing! I hope you like it!

Elizabeth     at 4:53 pm

FYI if anyone wants to make a smaller portion, the ratio is 1 cup of milk to about 1/4 cup of chia seeds. I’m making it for tomorrow’s breakfast!

Aqiyl Aniys     at 7:14 pm

It is too late for me to run out and get everything I need to make this recipe. I wish I had a bowl of this pudding to feast on right now.

Sara     at 7:13 am

This sounds great! I love Trader Joe’s! (Thanks for an excuse to go this week!) I was glad to see you said it would stay for 3-4 days since I doubt my husband will eat it, I’ll probably be eating it solo. Thanks :-)

Monday Inspiration |     at 9:00 am

[...] A yummy and light breakfast option from The Daily Garnish! This pudding has a deliciously simply taste and a unique texture – something different to [...]

kathy     at 9:34 am

I tried chia pudding one time and I had a terrible reaction. I use chia in my smoothies, as an egg substitute, in my cereal and the like, but the one time I made an actual pudding and ate it, I got the most severe stomach ache I have ever had. Maybe too much soluable fiber at one time? Not sure. I was in pain for a long time, so naturally I have been really scared to try it again. Maybe it was just a fluke. I’ve been eating chia for years. Only time I ever had such a painful reaction. Love to eat them, just not sure if I can do an entire pudding of them. The recipe sounds really yummy and want to give it a try. With the bananas & coconut, I’d also like to add some pineapple for a tropical taste! Maybe I’ll get brave!!

Oh man, that sounds horrible!

Marie-Sophie Reply:

Kathy, maybe you could try a really small portion of pudding to see how it goes? I also had a horrible time after adding too much chia to my muesli (after it got accessible here in Germany and I was just so happy and went overboard). And on the day you try the Pudding you HAVE to remind yourself to drink LOADS!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 11:13 am

Did you mean 1-2 T of shredded coconut? I couldn’t see where you used it other than topping

I mix in 1-2 cups with the sliced bananas! Sorry for the confusion.

Marie-Sophie     at 12:11 pm

I love to get new breakfast ideas!! And yes, international reader here :-) – but fortunately the chia seed trend has finally (!) moved over to Germany and they’re accessible. I guess that I can simply use a can of coconut milk ?? (or more, depending on the size)

Will try this as soon as temperatures rise here (I am still a bit freezy in the mornings)! Thanks, Emily!

Kristen     at 3:56 pm

thanks for posting this recipe! i just made it and it is so good, even with just the chia seeds and coconut milk. the best part is it is SO easy. i love new breakfast ideas!

Carolyn     at 3:50 am

i made this but it never solidified. i realized i didnt let it sit out of the fridge for an hour. is there anything i can do/add so it solidifies?

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living     at 1:55 pm

Looks delicious! Could I also serve this as a dessert?

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 6:42 am

What a great idea! I eat chia pudding for breakfast all the time, but I’ve never made it in one big batch. Duh! I can’t wait to try.

Grace     at 7:52 am

I tried this (well, a variation of it – I blended frozen mango and strawberries with the coconut milk before I added the chia seeds) over the weekend and I love it! I’ve been eating it for breakfast all week with some trail mix on top, and it’s awesome. I don’t shop at Trader Joes (too far away to bike to, my main grocery store requirement, ha!), but I followed the ratios you listed and it worked great. I get chia seeds from Costco and the coconut milk (in cans) was on sale at Kroger, so I think it was a lot cheaper than TJ’s, since I see that was a concern here in the comments.

However… my daughter was NOT a fan. Cullen’s pretty brave to get past the texture issue; that gummy/chewiness is a tough sell for a toddler! My daughter did love it as a “sooszie” before I added the chia seeds. I make her lots of smoothies but never with coconut milk, but inspired by your recipe I’ll have to start using it in the future!

Sarah Cross     at 8:00 am

I tried this, this morning & the flavor was awesome. I do have texture issues with food, so that was my only issue. I did add almonds for some crunch & that seemed to curb the gummy texture a little. It won’t be on our weekly breakfast menu but I’ll definitely be trying it again! Thanks for the recipe! I love trying new things!

Jen @ our delicious life     at 10:27 am

This looks delicious but I am only 70% into coconut. Do you think this would work with other kinds of milks?

Rachel Reply:

I made this with cow’s milk and love it (as I sadly but immensely dislike coconut anything). A drizzle of maple syrup and half a banana, and it is delicious. My second batch is in the fridge now!

So glad you are enjoying it!!

Jane     at 7:22 am

We tried the pudding this week. It’s certainly an interesting flavor, doesn’t really work without an extra sweetener. I love chia seeds in smoothies, but don’t think we’ll be repeating the pudding experiment.

Did you add some maple syrup? Definitely agree it needs some sweetness!

Kelsey     at 2:50 pm

I ate this all week for breakfast and it was pretty bomb. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Yay love this!

Laura     at 7:01 pm

I made this the other night and am officially obsessed. It’s so easy and delicious!! I actually would eat this as a dessert too and I didn’t even add in the maple syrup. The coconut milk has enough flavor and sweetness for me. Yum! Thanks for sharing.

So happy to hear it!

Sarah     at 8:13 pm

Me and my 19 month old son have been enjoying this recipe for more than a week. For my son I mash half a banana with a few heaping spoonfuls (no coconut) into a reusable pouch. He thinks it yogurt and asks for it each morning. Thank you for the recipe! P.S. I didn’t expect the diaper blow outs but they have subsided thank goodness :-)

Yeaaaaah I considered mentioning the toddler poo thing, but I figured it felt a little out of place within a recipe post. I have to cut Cullen off after a certain amount or else the diapers are SCARY. Glad you guys are enjoying it though!!

Lyndsey     at 10:21 am

Bought the ingredients for this over the weekend! Can’t wait to make it. Quick question, do you think adding a scoop or two of protein powder would work in it? Thinking it would add the sweetness of vanilla and a few more vitamins and protein. Let me know before i go ruining my batch ha!

Happy Monday :)

Sorry I’m late to this — I think it would be fine!

Ch-ch-ch-CHIA!! | Sidewalk Talk     at 6:31 pm

[...] recipes for morning chia seed pudding.  I saw it here, here, and here, but the one I went for was this recipe from Daily Garnish. It should be noted that all of these recipes look amazing, particularly this [...]

Kat     at 7:59 am

Hi Emily! Love the blog.. but wondering when we can expect to see new content? I know life must be hectic with two little ones, but your readers would appreciate some predictability!

Sorry Kat! We were traveling and out of town for a while, and I hadn’t expected to unplug quite so much. Life doesn’t have much predictability these days, but I’m doing my best to keep up!

s Reply:

As a mama of a 10month old I don’t mind the unpredictability of when you post…your life and kids are more important than this blog

Jul     at 2:15 pm

I love Trader Joe’s, too! I see TJ’s products on your blog all the time. :) Would be curious to see what your favorite Trader Joe’s products are!

Kamaile     at 12:33 pm

I’ve made this twice now and it’s soooo simple and delicious! It is similar to overnight oats which I’m not a fan of but I really like this!Thanks Emily!

Awesome — love hearing this!!

Laura     at 7:33 am

Had it this morning! It was delish. I added a little bit of pure almond extract instead of syrup and put a dollop of almond butter on top. It was refreshing! Wondering if you could also warm it up a bit? This is my first attempt at this pudding. Also could you recommend another coconut milk as I learned the trader joes one seemed to have additional garbage like carrageenan added?
Thanks!!

I am sure any other coconut milk would work just as well if there are ingredients you prefer or avoid! Glad you liked it!

Vanessa     at 1:13 pm

I introduced myself when I saw you having lunch at seattle center and told you my little girl loved your granola bar recipe. I just had to comment on this one… It’s soooooooo good!!!! I was actually craving a bowl the next day. My three yr old loved it and my 9 mth old actually got a smile out of tasting it.

Omg yes! I remember you, haha! So glad you guys are enjoying it. :)

5 Reasons to Try Chia Seed Pudding - Health News and Views - Health.com     at 12:35 pm

[...] Banana Coconut Chia Pudding The flavors of banana and coconut combine to make a tasty pudding that can be enjoyed for breakfast, snack, or a dessert. Make it ahead of time for a quick and easy breakfast! [...]

5 Reasons to Try Chia Seed Pudding | one SMART pigeon     at 12:43 pm

5 Reasons to Try Chia Seed Pudding « healthamerican     at 12:57 am

Lyndsey     at 7:52 am

Ever since you posted this recipe, this has been my breakfast staple! (minus the coconut and syrup). I just do chia seeds from TJ’s, Unsweetened almond mild, vanilla protein powder, and cinnamon poured over sliced banana each morning. SO GOOD.

Also, I just saw this linked up to an article on Health.com! Way to go!

What The Chia? | SuperSana     at 8:37 pm

[...] found this recipe on Emily’s blog for BANANA COCONUT OVERNIGHT CHIA PUDDING and since I am always at Trader Joe’s I decided to make it for a quick breakfast [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins.     at 2:32 pm

[...] quite reached the brain yet.  We fuel our days on a steady rotation of eggs and toast, chia pudding, and loaded-up [...]

4 Ingredient Chia Seed Pudding | A Handful of Spinach     at 12:32 pm

[...] ingredient Chia Seed Pudding!  I got the inspiration from Daily Garnish and from Oh She Glows.  Hop on over to their great blogs for the exact proportions.  I followed [...]

Mathias     at 10:00 pm

Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us
so I came to check it out. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m
book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
Wonderful blog and amazing style and design.