For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Springtime In Seattle.

We had the BEST weekend!  Although I think we’ve actually had a pretty tame late winter and early spring weather-wise here in Seattle, it has felt like all the rain has somehow managed to fall on the weekends.  Sooooo many gross, rainy weekends.  But certainly not this one!

We kicked off Friday night with a walk in the sunshine.  While Casey finished up some work, I took all four boys for a walk in the ‘hood.  I have a complicated system of stroller + Ergo + dog leashes that only works if everyone is behaving.  Thankfully all children and dogs were on their best behavior, and we all got some nice fresh air and exercise.

blog1

We got delicious takeout from Revel and I passed out on the couch at 8:30pm.  Oops!  Saturday morning we were up early for breakfast at our favorite spot.  My breastfeeding hunger is pretty much insatiable these days, and I don’t mess around when it comes to ordering food.  Every week I order a regular entrée, in addition to a full waffle breakfast.  This used to kind of embarrass me, but now I just embrace both plates and enjoy every bite.  Asparagus tofu scramble with vegan cashew gravy and a delicious buttermilk waffle (gave away my potatoes to C&C) – doesn’t get any better!

20140426_085409

We headed home after breakfast just as the sun came out to play.  We decided to try our first hike as a family of four!  Hiking was kind of a bust last summer, as Cullen was in a rough transitional age for the hiking backpack.  He kicked and cried and didn’t last in it for very long, which made our hiking season very short.  I had a friend come over to borrow a hiking backpack recently, and Cullen kept asking to use one afterward.  I double-checked that he was still under the weight limit, and since he was, we decided to give it another go!

This was Graham’s first time riding in the back!  I had him in the small Kelty Transit carrier, which was perfect for his size.  He likes facing out most of the tine, and seemed to really like being up high so he could see all around!

Up until now I’ve usually gotten out of carrying duties (as Casey has always carried Cullen on his back).  Time to share the load!

But no room for me to complain about the twenty pounds on my back, as Casey was carrying close to forty!!  For Cullen, we use the Osprey Poco Premium backpack, and we absolutely love it.  Graham will probably grow into this by the end of the summer!

We hiked the loop trail at Discovery Park – one of my absolute favorite spots in our city.  We made our way out of the woods where the trail opened onto the meadow toward the water, and I think I literally gasped.  No matter how many times I see it, I will never get used to living in a place filled with so much natural beauty.

A successful first family hike (of about four miles total round-trip), and hopefully the first of many more to come this summer!

During nap time I took a glorious two hour nap myself, and then we all got ready to head out for an evening at the ballpark.  Casey scored the company Mariners tickets, and we invited my friend Lacey and her boyfriend to join us!  It was a 6:10 game, so we gambled and brought the kids with us (since it is harder to leave no-bottle Graham any earlier than bedtime).

The seats were ridiculous.  Front row directly behind the camera pit, and right next to the Mariners dugout!  So cool.

This was actually Cullen’s second game of the season – Casey took him to another game a few weeks ago and they had a blast.  He is all business at the games, and never misses an opportunity to spot the Moose!

Graham was a rockstar.  It was his first game and I had no idea how he’d do.  When we took Cullen to the games as a baby he’d cry any time the crowd cheered or people yelled, which obviously happened quite often.  Graham didn’t seem bothered by anything, and just jumped on my lap and smiled and enjoyed it all.

He lasted three innings and then as it got closer to bedtime, I took him to the private Mothers’ Lounge (AMAZING!) to feed him.  He fell asleep in the Ergo, and I pulled up the sunshade and zipped him into my sweatshirt so he was nice and dark and cozy.  Would you believe that he slept the entire time?  Me either, but he did.

blog2

We kept both boys out until 10pm, and they were absolute angels.  It felt like a miracle.  Cullen sat on Casey’s lap and cheered and clapped the whole time, Graham snoozed on my chest, I chatted with Lacey and ate a delicious Field Roast burger, and it was a terrific night.

blog3

Sunday morning hit like a ton of bricks, and I felt like I had a raging hangover.  I hadn’t hydrated nearly enough the day or night before, and paid for it all day long with a headache and overwhelming fatigue.  But lucky for me, it was a lazy family day.  It was sunny and beautiful, and we all just lounged around and hung out.

Green smoothie while driving a tractor?  Why not!

At some point on Sunday afternoon, Casey asked me if I wanted him to build Cullen a little picnic table.  Ummm, yes please!  He knew I’d been looking at them on Craigslist, as I thought it would be fun for Cullen to have a space to eat and do art and things outside this summer.

We are very lucky that he is super handy and really good at building things.  He spent a few minutes looking at picnic table plans online (this one, I think!), and one quick trip to Home Depot later and he was constructing on the back deck.

He measured and cut all the wood and at one point announced, “I need to go inside and do some trigonometry for a minute.”  He is nuts.  Cullen loved watching him “do tools” and the finished product is so special now since it’s something handmade by dad.  Looking forward to eating lots of juicy watermelon with friends this summer!

blog4

It is going to be in the EIGHTIES this week in Seattle!  I don’t even remember what temps like that feel like.  We’ll know soon enough!  Hope you all had a great weekend too.

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy}     at 12:59 pm

Looks like a fantastic weekend! The boys look like they are having a blast with the nice weather! :)

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 1:17 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!

Hannah     at 3:31 pm

WOW, I love the picnic table! Go Casey! It seems like a great weekend, I’m glad you guys got to enjoy so much nice outdoor time. Those views look beautiful!

Ella     at 3:36 pm

That is a gorgeous table!! You guys are so impressive. Our kids are the same age but we aren’t quite so active with them. You rock!

Sarah     at 3:47 pm

Where did you get that bucket hat that Graham is wearing?! Too cute!! I’m looking for one for our little man with the chin strap to keep it on!

Caroline     at 3:56 pm

Wow- sounds like you had a really great weekend! I’ve been really wanting to head to a ball game (and get myself a ball park hot dog!)

Jenna     at 7:45 pm

We are expecting our first child in October, so our little one will be about the same as Graham this time next year. One of the things we are most excited about is going for family hikes. We are planning on putting a hiking child carrier on our registry. I would love to know what you think about the ones you have.

We absolutely love the Osprey pack — definitely our favorite!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 8:53 pm

Your weekend looks amazing! From the breakfast, hike, base ball game, to the homemade picnic table! You guys are such a sweet family.

Heidi Kokborg     at 3:48 am

It looks like you had a wonderful time! You have such an adorable family :)

Thanks Heidi!

Leah     at 10:08 am

Emily, random question! How do you deal with cushions on outdoor furniture? Here in New England it’s pine sap, bird poo, and nasty critters that keep me from doing cushions in our teak furniture by the fire pit. My patio set has to be covered at all times. Can you leave your cushions out in the rain?

Also–so happy to see you guys hiking!! Yay, my favorite sport!

Wondering     at 10:10 am

Hi! I love your blog but am disappointed that you only post once a week or so these days – why are you posting less?

polly     at 12:54 pm

hey girl!
what a SWEET weekend. The boys are adorbs. Totally, adorbs. and the fact that C can just do math and make a picnic table? Where is his S on his shirt? SUPER DADDY! :)

Love ya, Super momma! Have a wonderful week. Hugs from Indiana!!!

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living     at 1:41 pm

Wow, I’ve always wanted to come to Seattle. It sure is beautiful in springtime! Is this the best time to visit?

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody)     at 9:29 pm

Gosh you’ve been busy! I so desperately want some waffles now. Dehydration is horrible isn’t it? The headaches are absolute killers.

Megan     at 5:38 am

Love the table! Y’all are so crafty and such go-getters. I got to meet your sweet sister-in-law and adorable little Hadley this past weekend for a long walk. So fun, I loved them both. Heading up to get some fresh Washington air and possibly some strawberries this weekend!!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 7:03 am

That is so special that Casey made that for Cullen!! I love the trigonometry quote. haha

Andrea     at 9:10 am

Adorable! Love the picnic table! Oh and as for the trig comment. That made me laugh. My husband is a spreadsheet guy, hardcore. That and mapping things out in some other program. Before we even moved into our new house- he had our entire floorplan mapped out to scale- so I could have fun “arranging” the furniture virtually.

jen     at 10:49 am

Wow what a great weekend your pictures make me want to visit live in Seattle so bad. Casey did an awesome job with that picnic table and I bet it will outlast anyone you would have bought. I can see him building a tree house with the boys when there older!

Meagan     at 9:46 pm

Casey is such a nerd! Love it. The table came out awesome!

I liked your Discovery park pictures. That’s one place here I HAVEN’T gotten to yet, and it’s been 2 years, and it is SERIOUSLY time! And I had no idea there was a meadow? So cool :)

Mandy     at 4:47 am

The picnic table is so cute! Love Casey’s trigonometry comment, by the way. I shared this with my husband who worked as an actuarial analyst, and he thought it was awesome!

Sarah     at 12:28 pm

I love love that restaurant you went to for Saturday breakfast (I recognized the plates, and also I was part of the big obnoxious group that made finding a table so difficult that morning. Hah!) We had family visiting and wanted to show off our favorite places in the city since it was such a beautiful day. Sounds like you guys had the perfect day: yummy breakfast, walk in Discovery Park, and a baseball game. Ideal!

running shoes