Springtime In Seattle.

We had the BEST weekend!  Although I think we’ve actually had a pretty tame late winter and early spring weather-wise here in Seattle, it has felt like all the rain has somehow managed to fall on the weekends.  Sooooo many gross, rainy weekends.  But certainly not this one!

We kicked off Friday night with a walk in the sunshine.  While Casey finished up some work, I took all four boys for a walk in the ‘hood.  I have a complicated system of stroller + Ergo + dog leashes that only works if everyone is behaving.  Thankfully all children and dogs were on their best behavior, and we all got some nice fresh air and exercise.

blog1

We got delicious takeout from Revel and I passed out on the couch at 8:30pm.  Oops!  Saturday morning we were up early for breakfast at our favorite spot.  My breastfeeding hunger is pretty much insatiable these days, and I don’t mess around when it comes to ordering food.  Every week I order a regular entrée, in addition to a full waffle breakfast.  This used to kind of embarrass me, but now I just embrace both plates and enjoy every bite.  Asparagus tofu scramble with vegan cashew gravy and a delicious buttermilk waffle (gave away my potatoes to C&C) – doesn’t get any better!

20140426_085409

We headed home after breakfast just as the sun came out to play.  We decided to try our first hike as a family of four!  Hiking was kind of a bust last summer, as Cullen was in a rough transitional age for the hiking backpack.  He kicked and cried and didn’t last in it for very long, which made our hiking season very short.  I had a friend come over to borrow a hiking backpack recently, and Cullen kept asking to use one afterward.  I double-checked that he was still under the weight limit, and since he was, we decided to give it another go!

This was Graham’s first time riding in the back!  I had him in the small Kelty Transit carrier, which was perfect for his size.  He likes facing out most of the tine, and seemed to really like being up high so he could see all around!

Up until now I’ve usually gotten out of carrying duties (as Casey has always carried Cullen on his back).  Time to share the load!

But no room for me to complain about the twenty pounds on my back, as Casey was carrying close to forty!!  For Cullen, we use the Osprey Poco Premium backpack, and we absolutely love it.  Graham will probably grow into this by the end of the summer!

We hiked the loop trail at Discovery Park – one of my absolute favorite spots in our city.  We made our way out of the woods where the trail opened onto the meadow toward the water, and I think I literally gasped.  No matter how many times I see it, I will never get used to living in a place filled with so much natural beauty.

A successful first family hike (of about four miles total round-trip), and hopefully the first of many more to come this summer!

During nap time I took a glorious two hour nap myself, and then we all got ready to head out for an evening at the ballpark.  Casey scored the company Mariners tickets, and we invited my friend Lacey and her boyfriend to join us!  It was a 6:10 game, so we gambled and brought the kids with us (since it is harder to leave no-bottle Graham any earlier than bedtime).

The seats were ridiculous.  Front row directly behind the camera pit, and right next to the Mariners dugout!  So cool.

This was actually Cullen’s second game of the season – Casey took him to another game a few weeks ago and they had a blast.  He is all business at the games, and never misses an opportunity to spot the Moose!

Graham was a rockstar.  It was his first game and I had no idea how he’d do.  When we took Cullen to the games as a baby he’d cry any time the crowd cheered or people yelled, which obviously happened quite often.  Graham didn’t seem bothered by anything, and just jumped on my lap and smiled and enjoyed it all.

He lasted three innings and then as it got closer to bedtime, I took him to the private Mothers’ Lounge (AMAZING!) to feed him.  He fell asleep in the Ergo, and I pulled up the sunshade and zipped him into my sweatshirt so he was nice and dark and cozy.  Would you believe that he slept the entire time?  Me either, but he did.

blog2

We kept both boys out until 10pm, and they were absolute angels.  It felt like a miracle.  Cullen sat on Casey’s lap and cheered and clapped the whole time, Graham snoozed on my chest, I chatted with Lacey and ate a delicious Field Roast burger, and it was a terrific night.

blog3

Sunday morning hit like a ton of bricks, and I felt like I had a raging hangover.  I hadn’t hydrated nearly enough the day or night before, and paid for it all day long with a headache and overwhelming fatigue.  But lucky for me, it was a lazy family day.  It was sunny and beautiful, and we all just lounged around and hung out.

Green smoothie while driving a tractor?  Why not!

At some point on Sunday afternoon, Casey asked me if I wanted him to build Cullen a little picnic table.  Ummm, yes please!  He knew I’d been looking at them on Craigslist, as I thought it would be fun for Cullen to have a space to eat and do art and things outside this summer.

We are very lucky that he is super handy and really good at building things.  He spent a few minutes looking at picnic table plans online (this one, I think!), and one quick trip to Home Depot later and he was constructing on the back deck.

He measured and cut all the wood and at one point announced, “I need to go inside and do some trigonometry for a minute.”  He is nuts.  Cullen loved watching him “do tools” and the finished product is so special now since it’s something handmade by dad.  Looking forward to eating lots of juicy watermelon with friends this summer!

blog4

It is going to be in the EIGHTIES this week in Seattle!  I don’t even remember what temps like that feel like.  We’ll know soon enough!  Hope you all had a great weekend too.

Jen @ The Well Read Fish     at 10:23 pm

LOVE that pic of Cullen on his tractor! Such an adorable family.

Andrea     at 11:01 pm

I know… 80′s!!! Darn near heat wave! Adorable pics as usual. Waffles sound soooo good.

Polly @ Tasty Food Project     at 11:26 pm

Great pictures! I haven’t been to Discovery Park in a few years. It’s so beautiful there!

Maryea {happy healthy mama}     at 3:24 am

What a great weekend! I’m impressed and totally jealous that Casey made that table. Like, whipped it up in an afternoon! Very cool.

Whitney Davis     at 3:38 am

Love the pictures! I wish we had more hiking spots here in Florida, oh and I wish it was cooler than 90 degrees ;)

Maya     at 3:56 am

That sounds like an awesome weekend… and AMAZING picnic table!! I’m so impressed!

Now you need to go and write a 2 1/2 year update for a certain little guy… (I’m a total hypocrite for asking. My daughter is the exact same age– born Oct. 22– and reading your updates always gives me the false impression that I am preserving her milestones in writing too. Haha.) You guys make family-of-four seem awesome!

Ahh love that they have almost the same bday! I took all the pictures and was all set to write the 2.5 post last week, and honestly after all the crazy nonsense in the comments of Graham’s 6 month post, I just shelved it for a bit. Couldn’t take more criticism and comparisons of the kids. I’ll probably do it in the next week or two, because I want the memories to look back on myself!

Hannah Reply:

Please do! You should never have to take the criticism, it’s so unfounded. Don’t let them bring you down, and remember there are so many more positive comments for anything negative! I (obviously) love the updates!

Maya Reply:

Aw man, I’m sorry to hear that! I missed the craziness in the comments (didn’t comment, loved the post). People are ridiculous online!

Maya Reply:

Ok, I just looked at some of the insane “concerned” comments on that post, and I have my own psychological theory about them: I think some people who aren’t mothers or maybe have a more self-centered approach to their kids can’t understand how the challenges of parenting wouldn’t make you resent your kids, so they projected the selfish resentment they might feel onto your post. It’s like they think you would only feel loving toward some kind of “ideal” (i.e. never does anything but coo softly) version of a baby. To me it’s so OBVIOUS that you don’t make your love conditional on “perfect behavior” and your steadfast response to any challenges Graham has posed only make your love more obvious! If your love WAS conditional, yes, I might be worried. :) As it is, I think it’s awesome that you show your boys how much you love them even if they aren’t perfect… pretty sure that’s much better defense against future therapy than covering up anything less-than-ideal. I’ve seen people who seem to favor one kid over the other and you aren’t one of them!!

Your love for your kids is completely obvious, and you seem so in love with Graham that you’re helping me work up the courage to try for another. (I didn’t wean and am STILL waiting for my period! So crazy to think that our positions could be flipped if I’d weaned and you hadn’t!) For the record, Graham actually seems pretty close to perfect (those smiles!!!) and I think you know that too. :)

Anyway, done giving any energy to emotionally obtuse people online! I hate the way crazy commenters impact some of my favorite bloggers.

Thanks so much, Maya! That means a lot! :)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 4:04 am

Wow it looks like you had a beautiful weekend! Glad you got some family time and some sunshine :)

Lee     at 4:32 am

Sounds like an amazing weekend. I’m very impressed at your dog and child walking skills. I have enough trouble walking one dog with one baby!

Haha trust me, I felt that way two years ago too. Like anything, you adjust. :)

Teri     at 5:03 am

Thanks for sharing Emily. My son will be moving to Seattle soon and I can’t wait to see these sites!

How exciting!! We love it here!

Shari     at 5:06 am

What a lovely weekend! I love those water pictures — how beautiful!!

Beth     at 6:16 am

I’m so glad you guys finally had a weekend with nice weather! I love that you all took complete advantage of it and spent most of your time outside. That picnic table turned out great! You will get so much use out of it for many years to come. Have a great week :)

clare @ fitting it all in     at 6:22 am

so handy, that husband of yours! impressive.

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 6:28 am

That’s a breakfast to be proud of! I hope you demolished it :) Such a cute picnic table!

Lyndsey     at 6:48 am

Wow, what a handy hot husband!!! That picnic table is so impressive!

Glad you had a nice weekend :)

Mylene     at 7:04 am

It looks like you had an amazing weekend. That picnic table is awesome – maybe I can convince my husband to do the same! Ha!

I admire you for going out on walks with both kids and dogs! I only have my two children to look after and always feel super nervous whenever I attempt an outing on my own. Even going to the park feels like a major undertaking. Everything is so much easier when my husband is around!

I was super intimidated to do anything alone with the two at first, but I had to just go for it or else we’d never leave the house! Now it feels much easier as Graham is older and Cullen is more helpful and independent. The dogs are the unpredictable ones, haha. :)

Lori     at 7:13 am

I love weekends like that. With just the right amount of activity and relaxing.

What will you do for hiking when Cullen is too big for the back carrier?

Shorter and more kid-friendly hikes at a three year old’s pace. :)

Renee     at 7:29 am

I didn’t know you could feel fatigued and have a ‘hangover’ from being dehydrated! I feel like that some days too, now I know why.

It’s so gorgeous up there!

megan Reply:

Beautiful photos Emily! I kind of heard about dehydration doing this but now that I’m nursing this happens to me often! I am a chronic under – hydrator but I can’t get away with it while nursing I guess. For a while I thought I just still haven’t recovered from childbirth 4 months ago!!!

I bet more water would make a huge difference. I know it does for me!! I didnt drink a single thing during or after the game, and woke up feeling like I’d been slammed in the head. Horrible!

Jennifer Reply:

I wonder if this is my problem as well! Ive been having a headache and just feel so run down. And water is usually the last thing I reach for, first it’s the caffeine. How much water do you try to drink a day? And I’m nursing a six month old also.

Totally, totally! Dehydration hangover is definitely real, and majorly sucks. I’m really bad about drinking water, but try to remind myself all day long since im BFing. I do better with sparkling water, so we use our Sodastream a lot!

For sure!!

Ingunn     at 7:52 am

Sweet picnic table, and sweeter still knowing that Dad made it! :)

I love seeing people hiking with their babies! We’re expecting our first this September and I can’t wait to take her out on trail next year.

Lara     at 7:53 am

It frightens me a little that my G is closer in weight (much closer) to your G than he is to Cullen…

What a perfect Seattle weekend! We call anything Matthew does with tools (even hanging something on the wall) “construction.” I showed him the picnic table (hint hint) and he is super jealous of Casey’s tools! He always teases me for copying you on everything and is like, “let me guess…you want a picnic table now.” LOL.

Ahh weight is so relative when they are little. Graham is 17+ pounds right now and I think Cullen is around 32ish. And remember your G is pretty much right in between them! Laughing at Matthew’s comment. It is called “inspiration” not copying, haha. :)

Laura Reply:

I’m also mama to a lightweight (21 pounds/3rd percentile at 19.5 months old) and have a tendency to worry about it. My husband made a good point that, “If there is a percentile chart, somebody has to be at the lower end.” He’s right! My little guy is very energetic, smart, hitting all his milestones, etc. So, I’ve tried to just embrace his small size, and enjoy the fact that I can easily carry him around and snuggle him a bit longer. :-)

Absolutely! Graham has been on the smaller end of the curve since 3ish months, and I’m telling myself the same thing. :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}     at 8:21 am

That green smoothie on the tractor picture is just too cute for words!

Leah @ goodnightcheese     at 8:51 am

Wow, what a cute picnic table! He is handy.
I remember a while ago you did a post about how you eliminated paper towels and I thought it was great. Have you been able to keep that up with two kids?

Yes! Absolutely! We still have paper towel on hand for the grossest of messes (like poop, puke, etc.) but we use our rags daily. We probably go through one roll of paper towels in like three months. Pretty great!

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 8:58 am

Sounds like an amazing weekend! I’m so glad both boys did well at the game! That picnic table is awesome and looks professionally made. Casey did such a great job with it! Hope you have a great week, Emily!

Kim     at 9:11 am

Those pics of Cullen at the baseball game are the first time he’s looked more like you than Casey, he’s growing up!

Haha maybe because he looks like a grump? :)

Logan     at 9:36 am

So jealous! I used to live in Seattle and now live in NYC with a 4.5 month old and between working 50+ hours a week and dealing with the complexities of NYC with a baby am definitely not enjoying life enough. It looks like you are really making the best of your time together as a family!

Oh man. Hang in there. I have always wondered about raising kids in NYC! Seems like it would be tricky and tough, but so many wonderful experiences and things to do too! Babies are hard enough without long work hours. Sending you a virtual hug!

Leah Reply:

Time to spend some time in the country! I live in the city (outside Boston) and I find that two weekends per month North (for us, Maine) really help with busy city life. All of the stress just melts away. I know in NY you can take the train. Maybe for a day trip? Or even to CT?

Katie     at 11:47 am

haha to the trigonometry comment. More power to Casey! Words that will never come out of my mouth! :) The weekend looks fun and that table looks fantastic.

Mine either! :)

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy}     at 12:59 pm

Looks like a fantastic weekend! The boys look like they are having a blast with the nice weather! :)

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 1:17 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!

Hannah     at 3:31 pm

WOW, I love the picnic table! Go Casey! It seems like a great weekend, I’m glad you guys got to enjoy so much nice outdoor time. Those views look beautiful!

Ella     at 3:36 pm

That is a gorgeous table!! You guys are so impressive. Our kids are the same age but we aren’t quite so active with them. You rock!

Sarah     at 3:47 pm

Where did you get that bucket hat that Graham is wearing?! Too cute!! I’m looking for one for our little man with the chin strap to keep it on!

Caroline     at 3:56 pm

Wow- sounds like you had a really great weekend! I’ve been really wanting to head to a ball game (and get myself a ball park hot dog!)

Jenna     at 7:45 pm

We are expecting our first child in October, so our little one will be about the same as Graham this time next year. One of the things we are most excited about is going for family hikes. We are planning on putting a hiking child carrier on our registry. I would love to know what you think about the ones you have.

We absolutely love the Osprey pack — definitely our favorite!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 8:53 pm

Your weekend looks amazing! From the breakfast, hike, base ball game, to the homemade picnic table! You guys are such a sweet family.

Heidi Kokborg     at 3:48 am

It looks like you had a wonderful time! You have such an adorable family :)

Thanks Heidi!

Leah     at 10:08 am

Emily, random question! How do you deal with cushions on outdoor furniture? Here in New England it’s pine sap, bird poo, and nasty critters that keep me from doing cushions in our teak furniture by the fire pit. My patio set has to be covered at all times. Can you leave your cushions out in the rain?

Also–so happy to see you guys hiking!! Yay, my favorite sport!

Wondering     at 10:10 am

Hi! I love your blog but am disappointed that you only post once a week or so these days – why are you posting less?

polly     at 12:54 pm

hey girl!
what a SWEET weekend. The boys are adorbs. Totally, adorbs. and the fact that C can just do math and make a picnic table? Where is his S on his shirt? SUPER DADDY! :)

Love ya, Super momma! Have a wonderful week. Hugs from Indiana!!!

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living     at 1:41 pm

Wow, I’ve always wanted to come to Seattle. It sure is beautiful in springtime! Is this the best time to visit?

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody)     at 9:29 pm

Gosh you’ve been busy! I so desperately want some waffles now. Dehydration is horrible isn’t it? The headaches are absolute killers.

Megan     at 5:38 am

Love the table! Y’all are so crafty and such go-getters. I got to meet your sweet sister-in-law and adorable little Hadley this past weekend for a long walk. So fun, I loved them both. Heading up to get some fresh Washington air and possibly some strawberries this weekend!!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 7:03 am

That is so special that Casey made that for Cullen!! I love the trigonometry quote. haha

Andrea     at 9:10 am

Adorable! Love the picnic table! Oh and as for the trig comment. That made me laugh. My husband is a spreadsheet guy, hardcore. That and mapping things out in some other program. Before we even moved into our new house- he had our entire floorplan mapped out to scale- so I could have fun “arranging” the furniture virtually.

jen     at 10:49 am

Wow what a great weekend your pictures make me want to visit live in Seattle so bad. Casey did an awesome job with that picnic table and I bet it will outlast anyone you would have bought. I can see him building a tree house with the boys when there older!

Meagan     at 9:46 pm

Casey is such a nerd! Love it. The table came out awesome!

I liked your Discovery park pictures. That’s one place here I HAVEN’T gotten to yet, and it’s been 2 years, and it is SERIOUSLY time! And I had no idea there was a meadow? So cool :)

Mandy     at 4:47 am

The picnic table is so cute! Love Casey’s trigonometry comment, by the way. I shared this with my husband who worked as an actuarial analyst, and he thought it was awesome!

Sarah     at 12:28 pm

I love love that restaurant you went to for Saturday breakfast (I recognized the plates, and also I was part of the big obnoxious group that made finding a table so difficult that morning. Hah!) We had family visiting and wanted to show off our favorite places in the city since it was such a beautiful day. Sounds like you guys had the perfect day: yummy breakfast, walk in Discovery Park, and a baseball game. Ideal!