Celebrating.

This weekend felt like one long celebration.  We had a lot planned and so much to look forward to, so I kicked it off Thursday night with a haircut!

blog7

I chopped a lot of length off, and am going with my natural waves this summer.  So much easier with a grabby baby and no time for styling.  After having long straight hair for so long, it’s fun to have a new look!

Friday was our fifth wedding anniversary!  Obviously our anniversary always feels like a special day, but five felt extra special.  Casey worked from home, and we spent the whole day smiling and happy.  Probably because we knew we had a big night out planned!

To celebrate, we made our first trip to Canlis, one of Seattle’s best restaurants.  Casey surprised me by making a reservation for us to do their seven course vegetarian tasting menu, and he was even able to request a seat by the window, overlooking the gorgeous Seattle skyline.  Canlis has a dress code, so we got all dressed up for a night out on the town.

blog6

Honestly, it was one of the best nights I can remember in a long time.  We laughed and talked and looked back on five wonderful years together.  I felt so connected to and loved by Casey, and it was really special to have that time just for us, as we probably don’t share those sentiments and feelings with each other enough in our day to day life.

It was also our three year anniversary of living in Seattle – we moved here on our second anniversary back in 2011!  Hard to believe we’ve been here that long, yet at the same time I can’t imagine living anywhere else.

Saturday we spent the morning at a fun fair at Cullen’s preschool, and had a simple morning out in the sunshine.  We were so tired from staying out late the night before – definitely can’t hang like we used to.

blog5

Saturday night we were back at the ballpark!  Casey is a huge Mariners fan, and this year is extra fun now that Cullen is old enough to really enjoy the games.  This was Cullen’s third game of the season, and game #2 for me and Graham.

blog4

We went with friends and Cullen had fun playing with his buddy and staying up extra late.  Unlike the last time we went, Graham didn’t sleep a wink this time – oops!  He was wide awake and wired the whole time, jumping on my lap and laughing with his brother.  Would you believe this was almost 9pm?

blog3

Sunday morning I woke up to Mother’s Day kisses and hugs from all my boys.  We all slept in late (meaning 7:30am) from being up late the night before, and then we were off to Cullen’s soccer practice (crazy adorable).  Afterward, we headed over to Greenlake for a family run – my mother’s day wish!

Casey pushed the stroller along side me for four miles, and then he peeled off to the playground with the boys while I ran one more lap by myself.  It was my longest run to date – seven tough miles that I gutted out at an 8:35 average pace.  I felt amazing afterward!  Training for races post-baby has been so different this time around, and while it’s physically still very difficult, I feel much more motivated and confident now.

blog1

We spent the rest of the afternoon napping and playing at home, and then walked down to the Ballard Locks for an evening picnic.

Motherhood is by far my best and most important role to date, and I am so grateful to these three for giving me that gift.

We had the perfect weather in the perfect Seattle spot – watching boats cruise through and everyone in Seattle out enjoying the sunny day.

And of course – the perfect Mother’s Day photo!

Feeling truly blessed this year and so grateful for all that I have.

A Happy (belated) Mother’s Day to all my mama readers, and of course to my own mama.  Hope everyone had a nice weekend too!

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 9:29 am

Your hair looks awesome and you look so gorgeous in that black dress! I’m super impressed that your average pace was under 9 minutes. I’d find that impressive for someone who doesn’t have a baby under a year old because I’m happy to get under 10. Way to go, Emily! Happy late Mother’s day! Hope you had a great one!

Lauren B.     at 10:02 am

EHRMAHGERD! That photo with Graham’s huge, cheeky smile :) it is contagious. What a beautiful family! I think Cullen will look back at the Mother’s Day photo and laugh one day. Happy (belated) Mother’s Day! P.S. Your blog is my absolute favorite to read. Thanks!

You are sweet — thanks! That last photo was supposed to just be me and Graham, but Cullen insisted on being in it too. But then of course refused to smile. :)

Lauren B.     at 10:03 am

P.P.S. I agree about the hair–love it! And nice Stitch Fix dress!!

Theresa     at 10:11 am

Oh my gosh I can’t believe you guys have lived in Seattle for 3 years! I feel like I was just reading about your and Kath having workout sessions together and your time in culinary school! Time sure flies…what a wonderful three years. You and Casey are the cutest, happy anniversary! I adore your blog, and am always so excited to see a new post. Also, love the hair, it’s so cute and seems like “you.”

Christine H     at 10:19 am

Just wanted to say your haircut looks gorgeous on you! Love it!

Rachel     at 10:25 am

First time commenter but long time reader. Looks like a lovely weekend. Just had to say that the photos of Cullen crying made me laugh out loud at work. I have a son exactly Cullens age (October 2011) and it just seemed all too familiar. Very cute!!

Thanks for commenting! And reading for so long! :) Fun that our boys are the same age. :)

Tiffany     at 10:26 am

Emily, you look gorgeous! Love the new haircut!!

Where is your black dress from? I love it!! Thanks!

White House Black Market in like 2008! Haha!

Katie C     at 10:27 am

Oh my gosh, that picture of Cullen crying and Graham happy as can be….so sad, yet soooo hilarious. It looks like all of my pictures with my brother when I was a baby. He’ll think it’s just as hilarious one day!

Graham had just pulled his hair, haha. :)

Verna     at 10:28 am

Bahaha!! Love the one of Cullen crying! Not because he’s upset just because it’s SO real! ;) Thanks for sharing it! Your haircut looks great on you!! Love the wavy hair!!

Leah     at 10:32 am

love love love the waves and the new hairdo! Go you!

Ingunn     at 10:50 am

Your new ‘do looks great, so fresh and summery!

Awesome pace on the run, too.

Lori     at 11:02 am

I CANNOT BELIEVE that you didn’t embrace those waves sooner! Your hair looks fantastic! What a great weekend! So much to celebrate – life is good!

Well the waves look better now that it is shorter too, haha. I tried to do the waves when it was long but it just got really heavy and frizzy (and always ended up in a ponytail). It seems the key is short layers! :)

Alisha     at 11:04 am

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I just celebrated four years and we were talking about how 5 seems like the first big milestone of marriage. Best wishes for another good year ahead!

Brooke     at 11:08 am

Loving the do! You will relish the ease in styling!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries     at 11:09 am

Happy Mother’s Day! You look beautiful with your new cut and style – love it!

Natalie @ The Ravenous Mommy     at 11:10 am

Your hair looks amazing!

It’s been a while since I’ve stopped by your blog (or any blog for that matter!) What a beautiful family you have!! Hope the two boys aren’t running you too ragged ;)

Mary Lynn     at 11:24 am

Love your new look. Great haircut. Happy Anniversary.

Nana Phyllis     at 11:44 am

Love the shorter hair style! Nice to spend time with your family!

Christine     at 11:45 am

LOVE your new haircut! You look great!

Domi @ Eat Pray Lift     at 12:02 pm

You look gorgeous with that shorter haircut! I’m a longtime reader (and rare commenter, haha), but I had no idea your hair was naturally wavy. So impressive that you were able to straighten even with two little ones!

Also impressive is your running. You seem to have bounced back into running so well, and that’s a huge inspiration, as I’m just starting out. 6 miles is my longest run so far, at around a 9:50 pace, and seeing you bust out 7 miles at 8:35 AFTER having kids gives me hope that I can get to that point, too. Keep up the good work!

Ruth     at 12:08 pm

Got my hair cut last week, same length and am also rocking the natural waves this summer. Feels great! I’m in my late 20s and never really thought about kids, but your blog makes me look forward to the next stage in my life and I hope I can have a family like yours.

Wow, thanks Ruth!

Ruth     at 12:09 pm

Also – Congrats on 3 years in Seattle, but miss your posts from Alexandria because that is where I am from!

Aww we still miss Old Town! Such a great place to live.

Angela     at 12:10 pm

LOVE your haircut! You look beautiful!

Shel@PeachyPalate     at 12:13 pm

Your hair is stunning!!! Really suits you! Can’t believe you’ve been straigtening it all this time, must have taken so much time!!! Well done on the run!!!

Well a lot of times I didn’t straighten it, but it would end up in a ratty pony tail or bun. This definitely feels much better!

polly     at 12:26 pm

LOVE your hair! and your sweet family. That last photo of Graham’s smile. precious!!!!!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 12:28 pm

Love your new hair!

Sounds like a perfect weekend :)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun     at 12:31 pm

Your hair looks so awesome! What a wonderful weekend you had – happy anniversary!! The weather looks beautiful :)

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 12:35 pm

You haircut looks fabulous! Congratulations on five years of marriage — that’s so wonderful. Very happy for you and Casey :)

Ravyn     at 12:59 pm

Happy anniversary (both wedding and Seattle) … My husband and I are right on the same timeless as you & Casey (married 5 years, and celebrating 3 years in Portland). Looks like a beautiful weekend!! Also, Cullen looks so grown up in these photos, and reallllyyyy young (in a great way) in that last one.

Brittany     at 1:11 pm

Happy 5 Year Wedding Anniversary and Happy Mothers Day!!!!!! :)

Liz     at 1:21 pm

What brand are your running capri’s? I am having a hard time finding a brand that fits right :/

Those are Lulu from a few years ago! But I just got really good new ones at Target last week too!

Katie     at 1:23 pm

Oh wow!!! Looks like you had a great weekend :) <3 I just love the photos!

Erin Hack     at 1:45 pm

LOVE the haircut! Happy Mother’s Day. :)

Julie     at 2:02 pm

LOVE the new hairstyle! I remember when you 1st moved to Seattle; can’t believe it’s been 3 yrs already!

Kylie @ immaeatthat     at 2:37 pm

LOVING the hair!!! Gorgeous!

Eleanor     at 2:42 pm

Just wanted to share; we are on the exact same timeline! My husband and I will celebrate five years next week, and we have 2 sons born October 2011 and October 2013, respectively. We adore our boys, but with our demanding jobs it has been really difficult and exhausting during these first few months of having two! I am glad to see that you guys seem to be handling it so well.

Andrea     at 3:16 pm

The haircut is very flattering! Great job! Congrats on the Big 5! I love going to the Ballard Locks. I had gone as a child when we were out here visiting family and my first time back there as an adult after having moved out here was so fun! So glad you had a wonderful Mother’s Day. Blessings to you!

Erin     at 3:43 pm

Love the new haircut! Are you using any styling products on it now? I think we have similar hair and I’m always trying to find better products! Thanks!

Simply Life     at 3:48 pm

Love the haircut! What a wonderful weekend!

Chrissy     at 4:53 pm

I love your haircut! It looks so great on you! I have a question about the baseball games: Will Cullen sit through the game and actually watch? We would love to take our son (22 months) to a baseball game, but I’m worried that I would end up just chasing after him the whole time and he wouldn’t actually sit and watch it (which would mean a wasted ticket purchase for me!).

Emily @ Life on Food     at 5:00 pm

I would never had guessed you had wavy hair. I think your new cut looks great.

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy     at 5:26 pm

I love your hair! I also love that last photo — so precious!

Amelia     at 5:33 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary and happy belated mother’s day. :) Both of your dresses are gorgeous and I absolutely love your hair. I can’t believe how big Cullen & Graham are getting. Graham has already turned into such a little man in such a short period of time. Thanks for sharing. The weather looks beautiful too!

purelytwins     at 6:37 pm

congrats on the anniversary!!

love the pictures ;)

love the hair cut

Red     at 8:42 pm

Your new haircut is adorable! As are your little wee ones!

Lynne in NC     at 3:11 am

Your new ‘do looks great, and you’re gonna like the ease of shorter hair.
Congratulations on your 5th anniversary — wishing many more happy years for you two.
Love, love, love the photos from Mother’s Day.
Always a pleasure to “catch up” so thanks for posting.
Hugs,
Lynne

Kelly     at 3:56 am

Your haircut looks great and I love, LOVE the pictures of you and the boys :)
I know you’ve talked before about going to the Mariners games so I’m sorry if you mentioned this and I forgot. Do you just feed Graham while you are at the game? Bring a bottle? It might be that the ballpark I’ll be going to is a bit tight but I’m paranoid about not having enough room and my 4 month old eats at 6:30 and 8:30 so that could make it a bit tough!

Sarah Cross     at 5:19 am

Your hair looks awesome. Now I want to chop mine! For some reason it gives me confidence to cut it when other people go shorter! So glad you and Casey had a good anniversary. You two always look like you enjoy each other’s company so much. And the pics of the boys at the end – hilarious. It felt like looking in a mirror with my boys.

Haley S     at 6:05 am

love, love love the new haircut!!

Kelly     at 6:31 am

OMG that picture of the 3 of you is priceless! Love it! Hahaha!

Melanie     at 6:47 am

Emily I LOVE your hair! It’s lovely! I think it’s a great change :-)

Also love your black dress! So glad you guys had a fun night out! So important!

Happy belated Mother’s Day!

Allison     at 7:16 am

What a fun weekend!! Happy Mothers Day! Your family is adorable.

Danielle     at 7:26 am

I love the hair cut! So fresh for summer! I am growing mine out right now, a request of my husband! I cut my hair chin length two weeks before he met me after having long hair my whole life. I started growing it out during pregnancy for ONE reason. I kept thinking of how annoying it would be to be unable to keep my hair tied back during labor. Once he saw it growing he liked it! It is easier for me to have long hair now since he likes it naturally wavy. BUT every once in a while my one year old will try pulling it while nursing. Glad you had such a good Mother’s Day!

Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt     at 9:27 am

I saw the pic of you and Casey on Instagram and thought it was a through back photo because of the short hair and because you looked SO YOUNG. The haircut looks WONDERFUL on you!

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living     at 1:54 pm

Love your hair! May I ask where you got it done?

Sarah G.     at 2:36 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new hair!!!

Hannah     at 3:18 pm

I love your haircut!! It looks so great in your date night photo! Love the pics of the boys too- I’m glad you had a nice Mother’s Day.

Luv What You Do     at 7:11 am

What a fun weekend!
Your haircut and waves look so cute!

Melissa     at 9:07 am

HAHAHAHA! The pictures of the boys! Priceless!

I LOVE your hair! It totally suits you!

Julie     at 12:19 pm

What a beautiful and sweet post!

Kristen     at 7:22 pm

I love your hair! Do you mind me asking what type of spray/product you use on it so it doesn’t get frizzy? Thank you for such an authentic blog – I love reading!

Jamie     at 7:57 am

What great pictures! Your anniversary dinner sounds amazing, and your haircut is adorable!!!

Aunt Susie     at 9:26 am

Who is that beautiful slender woman in these pictures? Oh, it is my gorgeous niece Emily! Motherhood and a haircut sure become you. You and Rebecca have the cutest little fellas to snuggle up to. I’m so happy for both of you. And your husbands are very lucky to have you as partners in life.

Rachel     at 4:50 am

Happy Anniversary! I am just catching up on blog reading after getting married on 9th May! :D Hope to be as happy and content in 5 years too :)

Reenie     at 1:15 pm

LOVE your hair. So cute.

Happy Anniversary

Lorraine     at 9:47 am

Love your haircut! Would you mind sharing how you do it? Products, etc that you use and if you dry it or not? This might seem silly, but I had very straight hair when I was younger and after two pregnancies I have wavse to my hair that I would love to keep but I have no idea how to do it. The only thing I know is to brush and blow dry and then it ends up straight. If I brush it at all I lose the wave so I just don’t know what to do! Thanks!

Emily @ Fit as a Mother...     at 7:42 am

LOVE the haircut! And great job on the running! I didn’t even pick up running until after baby #1 was born so I don’t have a pre- and post-baby comparison.

Christine     at 9:46 pm

I am echoing many comments but I had to chime in and say how much I LOVE your haircut and the natural waves! You have such a beautiful family as well (can your babes be any cuter?). So happy for you, thanks for keeping up the posts.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Zesty Ravioli Salad with Peas and Arugula.     at 10:58 am

[...] a delicious salad I got from our local health store’s hot bar a few weeks ago (you can see a peek of it in this post during our picnic!).  I scarfed down bite after bite, and then immediately grabbed a piece of [...]