For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Celebrating.

This weekend felt like one long celebration.  We had a lot planned and so much to look forward to, so I kicked it off Thursday night with a haircut!

blog7

I chopped a lot of length off, and am going with my natural waves this summer.  So much easier with a grabby baby and no time for styling.  After having long straight hair for so long, it’s fun to have a new look!

Friday was our fifth wedding anniversary!  Obviously our anniversary always feels like a special day, but five felt extra special.  Casey worked from home, and we spent the whole day smiling and happy.  Probably because we knew we had a big night out planned!

To celebrate, we made our first trip to Canlis, one of Seattle’s best restaurants.  Casey surprised me by making a reservation for us to do their seven course vegetarian tasting menu, and he was even able to request a seat by the window, overlooking the gorgeous Seattle skyline.  Canlis has a dress code, so we got all dressed up for a night out on the town.

blog6

Honestly, it was one of the best nights I can remember in a long time.  We laughed and talked and looked back on five wonderful years together.  I felt so connected to and loved by Casey, and it was really special to have that time just for us, as we probably don’t share those sentiments and feelings with each other enough in our day to day life.

It was also our three year anniversary of living in Seattle – we moved here on our second anniversary back in 2011!  Hard to believe we’ve been here that long, yet at the same time I can’t imagine living anywhere else.

Saturday we spent the morning at a fun fair at Cullen’s preschool, and had a simple morning out in the sunshine.  We were so tired from staying out late the night before – definitely can’t hang like we used to.

blog5

Saturday night we were back at the ballpark!  Casey is a huge Mariners fan, and this year is extra fun now that Cullen is old enough to really enjoy the games.  This was Cullen’s third game of the season, and game #2 for me and Graham.

blog4

We went with friends and Cullen had fun playing with his buddy and staying up extra late.  Unlike the last time we went, Graham didn’t sleep a wink this time – oops!  He was wide awake and wired the whole time, jumping on my lap and laughing with his brother.  Would you believe this was almost 9pm?

blog3

Sunday morning I woke up to Mother’s Day kisses and hugs from all my boys.  We all slept in late (meaning 7:30am) from being up late the night before, and then we were off to Cullen’s soccer practice (crazy adorable).  Afterward, we headed over to Greenlake for a family run – my mother’s day wish!

Casey pushed the stroller along side me for four miles, and then he peeled off to the playground with the boys while I ran one more lap by myself.  It was my longest run to date – seven tough miles that I gutted out at an 8:35 average pace.  I felt amazing afterward!  Training for races post-baby has been so different this time around, and while it’s physically still very difficult, I feel much more motivated and confident now.

blog1

We spent the rest of the afternoon napping and playing at home, and then walked down to the Ballard Locks for an evening picnic.

Motherhood is by far my best and most important role to date, and I am so grateful to these three for giving me that gift.

We had the perfect weather in the perfect Seattle spot – watching boats cruise through and everyone in Seattle out enjoying the sunny day.

And of course – the perfect Mother’s Day photo!

Feeling truly blessed this year and so grateful for all that I have.

A Happy (belated) Mother’s Day to all my mama readers, and of course to my own mama.  Hope everyone had a nice weekend too!

Melanie     at 6:47 am

Emily I LOVE your hair! It’s lovely! I think it’s a great change :-)

Also love your black dress! So glad you guys had a fun night out! So important!

Happy belated Mother’s Day!

Allison     at 7:16 am

What a fun weekend!! Happy Mothers Day! Your family is adorable.

Danielle     at 7:26 am

I love the hair cut! So fresh for summer! I am growing mine out right now, a request of my husband! I cut my hair chin length two weeks before he met me after having long hair my whole life. I started growing it out during pregnancy for ONE reason. I kept thinking of how annoying it would be to be unable to keep my hair tied back during labor. Once he saw it growing he liked it! It is easier for me to have long hair now since he likes it naturally wavy. BUT every once in a while my one year old will try pulling it while nursing. Glad you had such a good Mother’s Day!

Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt     at 9:27 am

I saw the pic of you and Casey on Instagram and thought it was a through back photo because of the short hair and because you looked SO YOUNG. The haircut looks WONDERFUL on you!

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living     at 1:54 pm

Love your hair! May I ask where you got it done?

Sarah G.     at 2:36 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new hair!!!

Hannah     at 3:18 pm

I love your haircut!! It looks so great in your date night photo! Love the pics of the boys too- I’m glad you had a nice Mother’s Day.

Luv What You Do     at 7:11 am

What a fun weekend!
Your haircut and waves look so cute!

Melissa     at 9:07 am

HAHAHAHA! The pictures of the boys! Priceless!

I LOVE your hair! It totally suits you!

Julie     at 12:19 pm

What a beautiful and sweet post!

Kristen     at 7:22 pm

I love your hair! Do you mind me asking what type of spray/product you use on it so it doesn’t get frizzy? Thank you for such an authentic blog – I love reading!

Jamie     at 7:57 am

What great pictures! Your anniversary dinner sounds amazing, and your haircut is adorable!!!

Aunt Susie     at 9:26 am

Who is that beautiful slender woman in these pictures? Oh, it is my gorgeous niece Emily! Motherhood and a haircut sure become you. You and Rebecca have the cutest little fellas to snuggle up to. I’m so happy for both of you. And your husbands are very lucky to have you as partners in life.

Rachel     at 4:50 am

Happy Anniversary! I am just catching up on blog reading after getting married on 9th May! :D Hope to be as happy and content in 5 years too :)

Reenie     at 1:15 pm

LOVE your hair. So cute.

Happy Anniversary

Lorraine     at 9:47 am

Love your haircut! Would you mind sharing how you do it? Products, etc that you use and if you dry it or not? This might seem silly, but I had very straight hair when I was younger and after two pregnancies I have wavse to my hair that I would love to keep but I have no idea how to do it. The only thing I know is to brush and blow dry and then it ends up straight. If I brush it at all I lose the wave so I just don’t know what to do! Thanks!

Emily @ Fit as a Mother...     at 7:42 am

LOVE the haircut! And great job on the running! I didn’t even pick up running until after baby #1 was born so I don’t have a pre- and post-baby comparison.

Christine     at 9:46 pm

I am echoing many comments but I had to chime in and say how much I LOVE your haircut and the natural waves! You have such a beautiful family as well (can your babes be any cuter?). So happy for you, thanks for keeping up the posts.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Zesty Ravioli Salad with Peas and Arugula.     at 10:58 am

[…] a delicious salad I got from our local health store’s hot bar a few weeks ago (you can see a peek of it in this post during our picnic!).  I scarfed down bite after bite, and then immediately grabbed a piece of […]

running shoes