Red, White, and Blueberry Caprese Salad.

This dish is about as simple as it gets, but I happened to eat it last week and couldn’t not share it with you, given that Friday is the Fourth of July and all.  Related: where the heck did June go?

Red, White, and Blueberry Caprese Salad by Daily Garnish

I took a simple caprese summer salad and added blueberries.  Groundbreaking stuff, right?  But it’s super delicious, and the tartness of the blueberries really elevates the traditional combo of mozzarella and tomato.  The color combo is perfect for a patriotic picnic or party, and the flavor combo is everything that summer should be.

Red, White, & Blueberry Caprese Salad

by Emily Malone

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Ingredients (2-4 servings)

• 1 pint blueberries
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 – 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls (ciliegine or perline size)
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
  • drizzle of olive oil
  • pinch of salt
  • salad greens (optional)

Instructions

Thinly slice fresh basil and toss in a bowl with blueberries, tomatoes, and mozzarella. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt, and toss to combine.  Doesn’t get easier than that.

If I had to pick a favorite fruit, I think it would be the blueberry (with watermelon at a close second).  The girl who works my favorite fruit stand at our farmer’s market told me that organic blueberries will be available next week, and I’m pretty sure I did a jig.

Red, White, and Blueberry Caprese Salad by Daily Garnish

I used a combo of sweet basil and purple Thai basil in my salad, and I liked both the flavor and color contrast it added.  And I opted to use Perline size mozzarella (about the size of chickpeas!), but you could also use Ciliegine (cherry sized).  It depends on how big or small your blueberries and tomatoes are – just make sure whatever you choose is small enough to fit on a fork and be bite-sized!

Red, White, and Blueberry Caprese Salad by Daily Garnish

This is such an easy and refreshing make-ahead dish – the perfect contribution to your Fourth of July picnic or barbeque.  I personally like mine with just a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt, but a bit of balsamic vinegar adds a nice tanginess too.

Red, White, and Blueberry Caprese Salad by Daily Garnish

Or if you want to mix it up a bit and make it a true salad salad – try serving it tossed in a bed of greens!

Red, White, and Blueberry Caprese Salad by Daily Garnish

This mixture of speckled bibb and red romaine came straight out of our garden, and tasted unbelievably fresh and crisp.  If we get our blueberry bushes planted and our tomatoes actually ripen, all I would have to do next year to make this is pull my own mozzarella.  I will add that to my list of skills to master (along with playing the violin and knitting with circular needles).

Red, White, and Blueberry Caprese Salad by Daily Garnish

I hope everyone is enjoying a sunny, summery week wherever you are.  We are looking forward to a festive Fourth this Friday, and you can be sure that this will be on our menu.  Enjoy!

Powered by Recipage

Brynn     at 3:33 pm

I love this fresh twist in one if my favorite summer salads! I’d try a reduced balsamic vinagerette ontop because I love that on the original. Delish

Andrea     at 3:45 pm

mmmm I wouldn’t have thought to add blueberries!!! Yum Yum Yum! Thank you for sharing!

Stacy     at 3:50 pm

I think this recipe is missing something – half of what for basil?

Tanica Reply:

And I’m assuming pinch of salt, not pinch of salad. :) My guess is 1/2 a cup of basil. Looks delicious!

Fixed it — thank you!! Need to slow down. :)

Thanks for pointing that out – 1/2 cup! I fixed it in the post. :)

Amber @ Mommy's Me Time     at 5:46 pm

What a great idea! I make caprese at least twice a week during the summer and this is a perfect way to keep my husband from getting sick of it! Thank you! :)

Janine     at 12:00 am

Taking this to a BBQ on the 4th! I love blueberries, and caprese, but had not thought of putting them together. :o) Thanks!!

Liz     at 12:39 am

Now that is a fun combination to do this summer! I am not very talented in mixing fruit and veggies in a salad. Good Thing I read your blog! :)

Random reader request- your posts about shopping and meal planning were helpful and interesting (and I looove your garden posts!). Do you think about doing a post about your current pantry organizing?

Maryea {happy healthy mama}     at 4:00 am

Blueberries sound like a fun addition to a traditional caprese salad. Gotta try this!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 5:15 am

Hmmmmm, never would’ve thought of putting blueberries in a caprese salad! Mozzarella is my favorite food, yum :)

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life     at 6:35 am

I’ve never though of adding blueberries! What a great idea! And so festive too!

Alex @ Kenzie Life     at 8:52 am

This looks so festive! I’ve seen a few fruit twists on Caprese salads recently and I’m all over them! Caprese salads are my favorite and I love the addition of fruit in them! Hope you have a happy 4th, Emily!

Audrey @ Audrey's Apron     at 9:18 am

Why have I not done this before! I can’t wait to try this out at our family’s 4th of July party. So pretty and festive!

Leah     at 11:47 am

Thanks Emily–I would have never thought of using blueberries!

spotlight | This is for Real     at 12:18 pm

[...] about red, white, + blueberry caprese salad for your 4th of july [...]

Lisa     at 1:12 pm

That is a great idea, I will have to try it soon. I hope you and the family have a happy and safe 4th of July!

M     at 8:19 am

I’ve tried to make mozzarella several times and failed :( If you ever make your own (or if you have before), I’d LOVE to see a tutorial!!

Keri     at 11:13 am

Mozzarella. The food I miss most lately. But dairy equals no sleep for this mama. The foods we eat do affect breastmilk. Do you think it would be nearly as good if I made cashew cheese and subbed it in?

Gabrielle Reply:

Keri, here’s a recipe for a dairy free mozzarella ball that sounds/looks really good: http://www.artisanveganlife.com/a-better-buffalo-mozzarella/

Kara     at 2:28 pm

Just made a double batch of this for a family reunion tomorrow. Added balsamic because I love it, but now the color isn’t nearly as pretty. Just a warning for others.

I just made a big batch for our bbq too! And that is why I didn’t add balsamic to this one. :/ Better to drizzle over the top right before serving if you prefer to use it! It will still taste good. :)

Elizabeth     at 6:56 pm

I made this for our little family BBQ tonight. It was delicious! The blueberries add a nice tangy touch.

Diana     at 9:16 am

I made this yesterday for our family 4th of July celebration. It was a hit! The salad is very pretty and tasty. Thanks for the idea.

We did make ahead (before a 2hr drive) and drizzle on the dressing with balsamic before serving. It was great. Very baby friendly too. (I have a 13 month old.)

Ellie     at 8:11 pm

I love that this is a red, white and blue *savory* recipe! So many of the festive 4th of July recipes you see on websites are either sweet desserts or some kind of same-old same-old fruit salad. It’s great that this is actually part of a regular meal, not just relegated to dessert.

Amber B.     at 10:41 am

Thanks for sharing! I made this for my July 4th BBQ and it was a huge hit!

Heidi     at 1:03 pm

This looks fantastic! Love simple recipes. NEVER hesitate to blog what seems like a simple recipe. We all need new ideas. I never would have thought to add blueberries. Genius. Thanks so much for sharing!

MB     at 7:53 am

Ugh, that ice cream sandwich!!! Going to make my own with Trader Joe’s choc chunk cookie dough and some good vanilla bean!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Sprucing Up Summer Caprese With Oliviers & Co. (+$300 Giveaway!).     at 6:00 am

[...] of my favorite things to eat in the summer is the basic caprese salad (in fact, there are two variations of this salad on my recipe page already!).  And I think one of the things I love [...]