For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Rainy Day Salads & Sleep Shenanigans.

Happy Monday! Thought I’d pop in this morning for a bit more randomness (that’s how it goes these days).  We had a busy week!  The boys were off school on Monday and then we had some stomach bug stuff happening on Tuesday, so we had a LOT of time at home.  Here is a bit of what we were up to!

On the food front, we’ve been crushing it in the budget/reducing waste department. We’ve had to throw very little away, and we’ve eaten all our meals at home this month – victory!  I’ve been trying to mix things up so I don’t get bored of the same five things.

I made this delicious green salad with hardboiled eggs and blue cheese in hopes that the color scheme would help edge our Seahawks toward a playoff win.  No such luck, but the salad was great!

blog5 (541x597)

I’ve been getting those three packs of butter lettuce from Coscto, so it was a salad-heavy week.  This one was topped with goat cheese crumbles, leftover roasted green beans, and sautéed tofu.  I actually realized after I ate this that I forgot to add a dressing, so clearly it was tasty enough on it’s own.

blog6 (504x597)

As far as dinners go, I’ve been trying to break out of our rut and still think of things the kids will actually eat.  I’m also really trying to keep things as healthy as possible right now, as I am really working hard to continue to get into better shape (and eating is such a big part of that!).  This was sautéed cauliflower rice, crispy tofu, and a veggie medley all tossed with coconut aminos – SO good.  The kids wouldn’t touch it, so I ate my bowl and both of theirs – their loss!

blog7 (478x598)

One thing I’ve been doing differently despite the fact that it’s still freezing outside, is mixing up my breakfasts with a smoothie.  I used to do smoothies more as a summer treat or snack, but now I’m doing them as a daily breakfast.  I make one as soon as I get home from Orangetheory as a recovery breakfast, and I usually do some sort of combo of protein powder, bananas, almond milk, yogurt, peanut butter, and ice cubes.  Last week I got a special delivery from Metropolitan Market (our local grocery store!) with all the goodies to make a tropical smoothie – yes please!

20170112_180820 (474x640)

Delicious, and has been keeping me surprisingly full until just about lunch time.  I never really did smoothies as full meals before, but these are pretty nutrient packed and have been working so far.  The only downside is that I am always cold.

20170113_074619 (395x640)

Other household news – we got a piano!  I am SO excited about it.  I have been wanting one for a long time, and I think Cullen is finally at the age where he can take some lessons.  I got it for free (!) from a neighbor, and Casey was able to move it in our delivery van (the perks of owning a business!).  I took piano for years as a kid but don’t remember much at all, so I’d like to take some adult lessons too once I relearn the basics myself.  I always wished I had stuck with it.

20170115_173927 (410x640)

Last week and weekend were horribly gross and rainy, so we were inside a LOT.  For whatever reason, the kids were actually playing together and getting along really well, which felt like a gift from the gods.  They destroyed the house in their wake, but it felt like a small price to pay for some peaceful play time!

20170117_143336 (640x360)

On one of the dark rainy days we took a trip down to IKEA together.  The boys were told if they had perfect behavior there was a tasty reward at the end, which was quite effective.  I was there for new bedding for the kids – something warmer than the quilts they currently have.  We left with new bedding and ice cream cones, so I think it was a win for everyone.

blog2 (595x598)

I can’t decide if I actually like the bedding I got them or not (it’s the Rajgras stripe!), but they like it so that’s probably all that matters.  I wanted to get them warm comforters with duvets because our upstairs is freezing, and I felt like they weren’t warm enough.  Our house is so old that the second floor doesn’t have any heat (!), so we use space heaters but it’s still not exactly toasty.

20170117_170750 (360x640)

And if you can’t tell, we didn’t actually end up moving the bunk beds back together this weekend after all.  Graham threw up on Saturday, and Cullen puked a few days later, so we figured it was not the best time to be moving anyone’s bed.  A few days of rest was in order instead!  Lots of sleep…

blog4 (601x402)

And family movie nights.  It’s that time of year, right?

blog3 (560x598)

With their rooms still separated, Graham has been up to his usual shenanigans.  Every single night I go upstairs to bed and find him sleeping somewhere unusual.  Last night it was the floor in front of the bathroom!

blog8

What a goof.  It’s supposed to be nothing but glorious SUNSHINE here this week, which is a seriously needed mood-booster.  We are also looking forward to a really fun weekend trip coming up, so lots to do this week to prep and get ready!  Hope it’s a great week for you guys too.

Ruckus     at 12:46 pm

Our playroom pretty much looks like that all the time and I only have one kiddo! Would definitely love tips on healthy kid friendly foods. I am in the pizza, pasta, tofu rut myself!

Courtney     at 12:54 pm

So happy to see what you guys have been eating. We are in a serious rut. Would love to see more ideas!

Whitney     at 12:58 pm

I live in Everett and our house is super old, too (built in 1910). We have wall heaters in our bathroom and the back bedroom, but the main heat source for the rest of the house is our gas fireplace in the living room!! I feel ya on COLD lately, lol. Love the new bedding for the boys :)

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 1:24 pm

Sleeping babes = so precious.

Katy @ Dirt to Delish     at 6:45 am

I FEEL you on the heat issues. Our house was built in the 1860s. Flannel sheets= game changer! I’m cracking up at the picture of Graham sleeping on the floor!!

Leah G.     at 7:46 am

Free piano = yay!!

I’ve been trying to get back into green smoothies. :) It’s just a matter of getting up a little bit earlier to make one to take to work.

Taryn     at 7:52 am

My son is 5 1/2 and I just started working on some piano lessons with him. I (like you) took piano as a child and am trying to get back into it. Try this book – it comes with a cd you listen to that guides you through the lessons. Graham LOVES it so far! It’s a fun way to learn especially at that age. https://pianoadventures.com/browse/libraries/piano-adventures/libraries-piano-adventures-my-first-piano-adventure/

shelly     at 8:59 am

do you have a recipe you recommend for the cauliflower rice? thx :)

Kim     at 11:47 am

Love the updates..miss the more frequent posts. On the bedding front look into CuddleDuds, I’m on the east coast so was able to purchase them at Kohl’s, but their comforters are so warm and toast. They are unreal. I keep our heat (62-63) down at nights due to the fact that it’s so drying in the winter. But these things are the best. At times I wake up sweating but toasty. Give them a look

Christine     at 12:50 pm

I have to ask – because my daughter is the same age as Cullen and she has gotten progressively pickier the older she gets. I serve up a nutritious meal every night with some variations to TRY and get her to eat part of it.

If your kids refuse to eat – what do you do? Go to bed hungry? Make your own PB sammie?

Kate     at 3:50 pm

That picture of Graham is ADORABLE!!

Have you posted about how you make your tofu? I LOVE tofu but always forget to actually make it.

Thanks!!

Hayley     at 9:27 pm

I love this post. Great meal ideas too. I’ve been meaning to try butter lettuce, but was worried it would go bad quickly due to its delicate leafs. That picture of Cullen sleeping is so sweet. I had to scroll up to see them at IKEA as I couldn’t believe it was current. He looks like such a sweet little baby. Too cute about Graham. Do you use a video monitor in the boy’s rooms? I’d be lost without mine!

Laura     at 3:30 am

We have heating issues upstairs too! What kind of space heaters do you use, and donyou keep them on all night? We blast our heat downstairs bc I thought leaving space heaters on was dangerous, but that could have been an old wives’ tale! Would love a solution to our heating problem.

We don’t use a heater in our room — we just freeze! :) We also have a really hardcore down comforter which helps a lot (and flannel sheets through most of winter). In the boys’ rooms, we use space heaters that are set to specific temperatures (usually 65) so they turn on and off to be more efficient. The also have an anti-tip function so that if they get knocked over for some reason, they automatically turn off. We only run them at night! I wouldn’t want them running if we weren’t home, just in case something happened.

Stacy     at 4:52 pm

Emily, do you still preare your tofu the same way?

Michelle Henry     at 8:00 am

Great post! What kind of mattress do you use for the boys? I love the IKEA sheets! :)

running shoes