For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Natural Beauty Products for Busy Mornings.

This post is sponsored by Pura D’or – thanks for your continued support of Daily Garnish!

I am always hesitant to do anything “beauty” related here, as it’s not something that comes naturally to me or that I know all that much about.  I have a curling iron that I mainly just burn myself with, eyeliners I don’t know how to apply, and I can’t understand the whole dry shampoo crazy for the life of me.  I’m what you might call – simple – when it comes to the “beauty” regimen.  And on most days, I look like this.

But that’s not to say that I’m not interested in it, and that I don’t care how I look – quite the opposite, really. Particularly as I’m getting older (with a birthday just around the corner – gulp), I’m a lot more focused on finding the right products that are both safe and effective. And as my wrinkles and laugh lines deepen, I’d like to keep trying to take better care of my face, hair, and skin – to keep it looking as nice as possible with age!

These days my daily routine is VERY short.  And I know many of you struggle with the same lack of time in the mornings.  I remember the days where it was hard to even find the time for a shower, so if you are still in the trenches then this post is for you.  I thought I’d share some of my favorite natural beauty products for a super quick morning routine.

HAIR CARE

I am very lucky in this department, as I married into a family with incredible hair.  Both my inlaws and my husband – and now my kids – all have amazing thick, shiny hair that can do no wrong.  And while marrying-in did not automatically give me the same tresses, I did become privileged to something else.  My mother in law is 1. extremely generous and 2. addicted to trying new products. She is always looking for the latest and greatest, and recommending all her finds.  And about that generosity, well…she is constantly passing along samples, freebies, and things she is no longer using.  And my product drawer runneth over.

In addition to four million hair products, she also convinced me of another important hair tip – to STOP washing my hair every day.  I always read and heard of people who go days and days between washings, and just assumed my hair sucked and it wouldn’t work for me.  And then I decided to give it a go, and it turns out to be kind of amazing!  I still shower every day, and I have a cheapo shower cap for the non-wash days. These are obviously the fastest days for getting ready as there is no hair drying!

I aim to wash my hair 2-3 times a week (usually planned around my hardest workouts!), and after a few months of this I can tell it is much healthier.  Also important?  When I DO wash my hair, I’m trying to find the best natural shampoos and products.  I recently started using Pura D’Or shampoo and conditioner – specifically, the Gold line

We all know that after we have kids, our hair falls out for a while during that fun postpartum period.  And while the majority of that stopped a long time ago, I still don’t really feel like my hair ever regained it’s original thickness.  The Pura D’or Gold line is specifically formulated for anti-hair thinning and intensive thickening Here are some of the product highlights off their website:

• Blend of 17 key active ingredients help reduce hair loss due to breakage
  • Helps regenerate & revitalize follicles
  • Revives damaged and distressed hair, leaving it healthier looking and smoother
  • Supports healthy scalp, regenerates hair, and revitalizes follicles
  • No chemicals, no sulfates, no parabens – so important!

Once I’m out of the shower, I’ve also been using the Pura D’or Argan Oil serum to help nourish, moisturize, and regenerate any hair breakage.

And as a bonus, I’ve also been using the argan oil on my face at night – just lightly rubbing into the corners of my eyes and mouth to help reduce fine lines.  I love that it is 100% oil with no harsh chemicals!

Good news!  If you have suffered the same hair thinning after kids that I have, you can try the Pura D’or line for yourself – the first 100 readers will receive $20 Off + Free Delivery off your first order of shampoo and conditioner. Click here and use the code DAILYGARNISH to receive your discount. Offer valid only on the shampoo/conditioner sets.

These are my go-to products on the days where I wash my hair and I want it to be shiny, smooth, and full of body.  I jump in the shower as soon as I’m home from my workout and then I wrap my hair in a towel and let it air dry while I get myself ready, grab the kids clothes, pack their lunches, etc.  About ten minutes before we walk out the door I run back up to quickly blow dry.  I’ve been using my trusty Sedu hair dryer for something like ten years now and it is still my favorite.

In the summer when it’s much warmer and less humid outside, I can get away with letting my hair air dry into curls.  For wavy days, I’ve started using the DevaCurl product line (another find from my MIL!), and it’s been great for defining curls and adding body to my waves.  It is also all sulfate, paraben, and silicone free!

FACE & BEAUTY

In addition to finding natural hair products, I’ve also tried to find really simple, natural ways to take care of my face and skin.  With aging and the the onset of wrinkles and lines, it’s super tempting to buy one of those skincare systems full of miracle promises and incredible before and afters. But ultimately I’ve decided I care more about my long-term health and wellness, and don’t want harsh chemicals seeping into my skin.

I don’t wear much makeup other than mascara these days, and so every morning I start my day with a quick swipe of coconut oil over each eye.  It is the absolute BEST makeup remover ever – I cant believe all the years I spent buying expensive remover wipes!

Next up, I wash my face – either in the sink or the shower – with the Beautycounter charcoal bar.  My friend Lindsay sells Beautycounter and raved about this product so much that I had to try it myself.  I really like the way it makes my skin feel once it’s clean – super soft and smooth!  My only complaint is that it makes a big mess – black soap suds wherever you set it down.

This time of year, I often need a hint of lotion to combat winter dryness. Recently I’ve just been using basic Cetaphil – a little goes a long way, and it doesn’t leave my skin greasy at all.  We use this on the kids too for chapped and dry skin!

After lotion comes a few brushes of my BareMinerals face powder and a bit of mascara, and I’m good to go.  I’m not sure why I recently decided to stop wearing most of my makeup.  Part of it was that by the end of the day I felt like it almost made me look more tired – all smudged and mostly worn off from a day of chaos.  Rather than load on the makeup, I’m trying to take better care of my skin and eyebrows so that I can feel more confident in what is underneath.

20170215_081846 (409x640)

From hair to makeup – I can usually get all of this done about 20 minutes – just enough time for the kids to watch one TV show before we all pack up and head out the door for the day. It feels good to know I’m using natural, quality products that will protect my skin and repair my hair throughout the day.

And on that note, I’m off to jump in the shower and get going!  Don’t forget – the first 100 readers to use the code DAILYGARNISH can get $20 off a Pura D’or shampoo and conditioner set!  Enjoy!

Deepa     at 9:19 am

Emily, been a long time reader of your blog and thank you for recommending such products. I ordered the gold line shampoo and conditioner set just now.
I also wanted to mention that I use the Gaia bronchial syrup you recommended and it worked wonders for my kids too. I really appreciate that you take the time to share such things with us.

Oh yay I really hope you like the gold line! AND YES to the Gaia syrups too — they have been a lifesaver for us this winter, with very little sickness (during a horrible germ season). So glad to hear it!

Haley     at 9:30 am

I’ve been interested in the charcoal bars – may need to finally try it!

I started using Norwex products to clean my house without using harsh chemicals, and then discovered they have personal hygiene products as well. I’m loving everything I have tried. I love their stuff so much that I finally signed on as a consultant, mostly for the discount! So in full disclosure I do sell it now, but here is the website

I have heard great things about Norwex — I have a friend that sells it here in Seattle too!

Holly Reply:

I need to get you some cloths! They’re so great! Also, I love the Charcoal Bar (I’ve only used a sample, but it was great for my skin!) I’ve switched to using a line called Natura Culina for my skincare- all organic, super simple ingredients, and the owner is SUPER generous w/samples! I’ve got zits in the summer and dryness in the winter- ugh! But her suggestions have been SO helpful!

Lindsay Reply:

I’m headed to Norwex party in a week! Can’t wait.

Haley Reply:

Emily, definitely contact your friend and try their stuff :)

And to everyone else… yay! Glad there is so much Norwex love on here! I’m happy to spread the love to answer any questions that people may have. Haleyagoodwin@gmail.com

Hillary     at 10:09 am

That shampoo sounds excellent – my hair definitely hasn’t been the same since I had my son two years ago! I’m surprised to hear that you use the Cetaphil cream though, especially in this post. Cetaphil products contain both parabens and sulfates.

Hmm I swear my tub says paraben free on the front, but now I’ll have to double check when I get home!

Katie     at 10:16 am

I’m about your age, a mom as well, and have found myself using less and less makeup even though my aging face needs it more! I’m curious as to what you do for your eyebrows; I am so sick of filling mine in but I was not blessed with much there.

I have pretty full eyebrows so I’ve just been getting them waxed more regularly so that they don’t get out of control and look a bit more polished!

Aimee     at 10:58 am

I’ve heard about the coconut oil eye makeup remover for some time and remembered to actually try it the other night.. Big mistake! The oil got all over my contact lenses and everything was blurry for hours! Lol
It did get the makeup off well however ha ha

Oh geez, haha I hadn’t even thought about that! I had LASIK a million years ago so haven’t had to deal with contacts — that sounds rough!

Holly     at 11:31 am

I also wash my hair less frequently and follow the same idea of washing after those hard/sweaty workouts. I have tried a similar bar of black soap, for the body, and had issues with the dark suds and it ended up discoloring my tub a bit so I prefer to stick to liquid body wash now.

Nicole     at 11:51 am

ooo great tips. i have the same TJ’s coconut oil. will have to try that.

It works SO well!

Leah G.     at 12:43 pm

I’d forgotten about the coconut oil makeup remover tip. Thanks for the reminder!

Great post. :)

Sara     at 1:00 pm

Hi Emily – I’m curious about your transition from washing your hair everyday to just a few times a week. I have pretty thin hair and I look like a grease monster if I don’t wash it every morning. How long did it take for your hair to adjust and how did you make sure it still looked presentable in the interim? :)

Thanks!

Pam Reply:

Hi Sara, not Emily

Pam Reply:

Oh my, not sure why that cut off. When I wanted to cut back on washes I went 4 days without washing during some time off work. After that I found every second day no problem!

Lacey Reply:

I was just going to add: Also beware of hard water! It can make hair look greasy too.

Brit     at 1:08 pm

I am pretty simple with my regimen. I don’t wear make-up anymore except every now and then lipstick. Bare, fresh, clean skin with a pop of color on the lips is wonderful. Less is more in my book. I usually try to reach for natural lipsticks, as well. But on a day to day basis I just wash my face and wear natural sunscreen. My skin is better than it’s ever been and I actually don’t feel like myself when I have makeup on. I hate how our society makes women feel that if you don’t wear make up than you don’t care about yourself or how you look. Since when does wearing makeup signify that a woman cares for herself? Is it because without make up we look tired and our bare skin shows the wear of life on our face? I completely disagree. Make-up doesn’t define my love for health and wellness. I don’t want to hide my real face in makeup unless its for fun and play. And even then I still want to be myself. My make-up less face tells a far different story than what society as stereotyped. If you love makeup wear it like a great outfit but don’t let it define your self-worth.

Mary     at 5:43 pm

I’ve also stopped wearing much makeup and am working on taking better care of my skin. I really like Alba Botanica’s daytime lotion with SPF – the one I use is supposed to help with uneven skin tone and works great for me. I use coconut oil for my night moisturizer, but when I tried it for a makeup remover it just didn’t work for me. Womp womp. For face wash, I absolutely swear by Dr. Bronner’s peppermint Castile soap (diluted by half). It smells SO GOOD and is the only face wash that has ever effectively combatted my adult acne.

Thanks for sharing your go to products; you look great! :o)

Lindsay     at 7:54 pm

I completely agree with the less makeup,less hair washing strategy. I’m right there with you. And I feel like I look and feel better for it!

You need something like this for your charcoal bar – https://www.amazon.com/White-Soap-Lift-soap-dish/dp/B00ARVUFIY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487274643&sr=8-1&keywords=soap+lift.

Also, if you heat the bar for about 9-10 secs in the microwave,you can cut it easily. People think it lasts longer when you use it in pieces! Random tip:)

Heather     at 5:37 am

I am a BC consultant too!

Try cutting up the charcoal bar into smaller pieces to use. It creates less mess and it will last longer :)

Aimee     at 6:24 am

How is the short hair going? You have maintained it! Do you miss the ability to throw it up in a bun? I chopped mine off around Thanksgiving into a bob and I liked it at first but now I miss braiding it back or quick topknots.

Alice     at 7:24 am

My other super easy & natural product is to mix coconut oil with cane sugar as a facial exfoliator. I make a batch in a small ball jar, and use it once a week. Lasts ages, and has no funny business.

mh     at 2:43 pm

$50 for shampoo and conditioner? Thanks but no thanks. Ridiculous. I’ll stick w/Suave.

running shoes