What I Love: Kroger Carbmaster Yogurt

Sorry, sorry. This week really got away from me. I am starting to freak out about wedding stuff and how much I have left to do in so little time. I will save that for a later post, as I’m pushing it to the back of my mind – which is also how I got into my current situation… Back on track!

What I love:
Kroger Carbmaster Yogurt

This stuff is insane. I hope you all live near a Kroger, because I truly feel this love is brand specific. I’ve tried Light & Fit, Yoplait, Stonyfield Farm – all of them. Trust me, this one is the best.

Here’s the thing – I’m not really all about the whole low-carb craze. In fact, I eat a lot of carbs. As a marathon trainee, every night we usually have some variation of carbs in our dinner – brown rice, quinoa, or whole wheat pasta. My initial purchase happened because they were sold out of Kroger Lite (favorite runner-up) so I was forced to stand in the yogurt aisle for an hour analyzing nutrition facts (you’re welcome!). The Carbmaster has the same amount of calories (80) as other lite yogurts, (obviously) less carbs than the other lite yogurts, but it also has more protein and less sugar! Best yogurt ever.

If the stats aren’t enough to convince you, let’s get to the important stuff – taste. Holy moly this stuff is good. My favorite favorite favorite (cannot stress this enough) is just plain old vanilla. Belieeeeve me when I tell you it does not taste like the other vanillas. It’s creamy and thick with an unidentifiably delicious after-taste – very similar to the oh-so-popular Fage Greek yogurt that I do love, but refuse to purchase due to it’s excessive price tag. Carbmaster vanilla is basically my 40 cent version of $3 Fage. Suit yourself, but that’s one substitute I can get behind.

Imagine my excitement at Kroger last week when I got to the yogurt aisle and saw the newly re-designed super sleek looking Carbmaster packaging! And that was before I even realized there are like ten new flavors! Blackberry, Strawberry Pomegranate, Cherry Acai, Strawberry Banana – the list goes on. I have tried them all and they are all delicious. I wouldn’t steer you wrong here. If Carbmaster is sold out (read: if I have just left the Hyde Park Kroger store), the Kroger Lite brand is also delicious and has equally exciting flavor options – French Apple Pie anyone?

I know an entire post about yogurt seems excessive. But a lot of what I do in my day revolves around food. Planning what I eat, tracking what I eat, reading food blogs, and finding new things to eat. A lot of these “foodie” types are always plugging the latest, coolest, most organic-straight-from-the-earth stuff they can find at Whole Foods. Don’t get me wrong – that stuff is usually delicious. But I also have to be realistic about what I spend on food. And I can happily tell you that the cheapest yogurt in the grocery store is conveniently the one that I like best.

My final rant is to share with you my favorite way to eat it:

1 cup canned pumpkin (see oatmeal post #2!)
1 6oz. cup Kroger Carbmaster vanilla
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (cloves, cinnamon, all-spice, nutmeg)
1 tbsp Splenda

100% pure pumpkin pie perfection (in 160 calories!). Oh, and if you hurry, they are 3 for $1 with your Kroger plus card this week. Enjoy!

Nicole     at 6:18 pm

Love, love, L-O-V-E Carbmaster Vanilla yogurt! I mix mine with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and that is my dessert most nights (well, I usually have two of them….I save my calories so I can have two!)

I agree – smooth and delicious. Plus, the fact that it’s low-sugar, high-protein is awesome!! :D

Susan     at 12:43 pm

I went to Ralph’s (CA) today and purused the aisle of yogurt. To my surprise, I discovered Carbmaster, with its 4 carbs and 3 sugars. I have been following The Belly Fat Cure diet plan, and this is a free carb (4 or less carbs is not counted as a serving) but had to count the sugar (15 grams maximum per day). Anyways, I love the taste that is richer and not sugary tasting. The only downside is the fact that it is sweetened with sucralose, a sweetner frowned upon by The Belly Fat Cure but not as hazardous as aspartame. I agree with you, Emily, that Carbmaster is the best!

Dian     at 12:07 pm

I am diabetic and before discovering CARBmaster I couldn’t eat yogurt because usually it has 22 and up grams of carbs. At 4g carbs this stuff is AWESOME

Mary Ann Markulin     at 11:32 am

I live in Cleveland, Ohio and cannot the Carbmaster yogurt anywhere in our area. Can anybody help me?

Jan     at 7:18 pm

My favorite is the peach..I had gastric bypass almost 3 years ago so I cant do sugar or much carbs..
In a blender I put a scoop of whey protein powder, a 6 oz of Kroger Carbmaster, sometimes fruit like a half a banana or ?, 2-4 oz of crystal lite any flavor ,1/2 cup of crushed ice and blend..
Its a YUMMY smoothie!

Janice     at 12:00 pm

FYI, Carbmaster has just released a whole bunch of new flavors…raspberry-yumberry, carrot cake, tropical and vanilla chai. Haven’t tried all of them yet. I live in Ohio & don’t know whether these flavors are available elsewhere but thought I’d let you know about it after I found your blog.

Andrea     at 11:15 pm

Janice beat me to it :) I bought all of the new flavors and they are delicious. Feels like I am cheating and eating dessert. I’m trying to figure out which one is my favorite. The are all so good, but I think my favorites are carrot cake and vanilla chai. Scooping the rest of the vanilla chai as I’m typing lol. Though it’s not necessary, I always sprinkle a packet of splenda into my yogurt, stir and enjoy. These new flavors as well as the old (still love my strawberry) have become a staple in my home. You’ve got to try them!

Damaramu     at 11:17 am

Sorry to comment on this old blog entry, but I gotta say I love CarbMaster yogurt! I’m addicted to the Strawberry/Banana flavor! Here in Houston, TX our Kroger’s have been selling them 10 for $4. Needless to say, I load up. This yogurt is so good…it’s almost like there should be a catch!

Hannah     at 10:33 pm

I am doing a low carb diet, and i love yogurt. but i cant find this yogurt anywhere!! I live in Illinois. I even searched the Kroger website and i couldnt even find the brand!

Nicole Reply:

I don’t know where you live in Illinois, but if you are in the Chicagoland area, there are stores called Food4Less and they are owned and operated by Kroger. They may not have all of the different CARBmaster flavors, but the one by me has Blackberry, Vanilla, Strawberry Banana, Peach, and Raspberry. I know I’m a little late on this post, but I hope that helps!

Colleen Barney     at 4:49 pm

No joke, this stuff is the bomb! I just found it at kroger last week. Where have I been? I guess I just gave up looking for low carb stuff b/c so many companies have stopped making it.

The vanilla is yummy, and reminds me a lot of baby food custard, which I have always loved. Not crazy about the vanilla chai (I don’t like chai), but the carrot cake was fairly good.

The texture is great, the nutrition is great, the range of flavors is great, the sweetness is great–just right. Love!!!!!!!

Mary     at 11:26 am

I also love the Carbmaster Yogurt. Vanilla is my favorite. I like it because it does NOT have Aspartame in it.

Tammy     at 12:53 pm

I don’t normally shop at Kroger, but I will make a special stop and buy about 20 containers at a time. I have tried the other low carb yogurts and you get what a choice of 2-3 flavors and they taste like blah. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, this stuff it is the best! I am always looking for low carb alternatives and this is a GREAT ONE! Take it from a former fatty! :)

Shirlee     at 1:56 pm

Where can I find this in Florida. I got some in Indiana and fell in love with it, but no Krogers in Florida. Is there another store here that carries it that anyone knows of?
Thank you.

Teri     at 1:59 pm

Sorry to post so many YEARS after the original review, LOL, but I had to enter my 2 cents. I am addicted to the Carbmaster Carrot Cake flavor. In fact, I just finished one as part of my lunch. I mix it with some oat bran and feel like I just ate a pie at Thanksgiving…so, so freaking good!!!! And they’re 10 for $4.00. The texture of these yogurts is amazing…so creamy. I like the Kroger Lite yogurt too, but the Carbmaster is my all time favorite and I can’t live without it. :)

cathy squashic     at 12:38 pm

i am not a yogurt person, but on the diet i am i need extra protein. i love this yogurt! yum… what i do is add about 1 tsp of hershey’s sugar free chocolate syrup and it tastes so great! feels like i’m cheating with a fancy desert.

Eggs     at 2:58 pm

Is it really yogurt? Read the label and compare to other yogurts. Don’t know, just asking

Calista Stewart     at 12:28 pm

Thought Carbmaster was THE perfect answer for a low sugar yogurt until I noticed that it uses sucralose for a sweetening agent. BAD BAD STUFF!! There are So many studies out there showing that the artificial sweeteners are suspected of causing verything from cancer to ITBS and more, as well as causing greater sweet cravings soon after consumption. WHY would Kroger do that??? Why not use an all natural sweetener like Stevia to make what could be the VERY BEST yogurt out there? Kroger is SO CLOSE!! Remix your recipe and you’ll have i!!!!

Denise     at 12:15 pm

Just discovered Carbmaster vanilla last night because I was looking for something with less sugar. I mixed it with some pumpkin flax granola for lunch and it was delicious! I can’t wait to try mixing it with the canned pumpkin!

Kristi     at 6:00 pm

I,too, have tried just about every yogurt brand and type out there. When I 1st discovered CarbMasters, I ate it all the time. Then I went thru a period where I wasn’t eating anything w/sugar or sugar sub’s (asparatame, sucralose) so I bought plain unsweetened yogurt and added stevia. Currently, I’m on a Program and sugar subs are allowed and I rely on CarbMasters for my protein snacks. (BTW, the fat is melting off w/this program. If anyone is interested u may email me: knz@hotmail.com.)

Maximo     at 1:24 pm

No matter if some one searches for his essential thing, therefore
he/she needs to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.

Gutscheine Januar 13     at 6:25 pm

I believe what you said made a lot of sense.

But, what about this? suppose you added a little content?
I am not suggesting your content isn’t solid., but suppose you added a title that grabbed a person’s attention?
I mean Daily Garnish

danny     at 11:24 am

i would like to know why other markets dont carry the same quality carbmaster under a different name.

Donna     at 8:15 am

Like many others, I had tried many brands, but Carbmaster Vanilla was the best. Often, the stores could not keep it stocked. The product has changed. It does not taste the same, the texture is not the same, and the nutritional value is not the same. The original had 80 calories and 12 grams of protein. the new version has 60 calories and only 8 grams of protein. I am disappointed.