For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

How To: A Tofu Tutorial

Whenever I tell people that I’m a vegetarian, one of the first questions I am usually asked is, “so what do you eat then?  tofu?”  I hate to answer it, because the answer is YES, just lending support to the idea that vegetarians eat “weird” foods.  But I truly believe that if I ended up eating meat again, I would still eat loads of tofu.

I know some people avoid soy products because they are still considered nutritionally controversial.  We probably eat tofu 3-4 times a week.  I think that’s a reasonable amount either way, and to me it’s still better than the alternative.

I don’t remember the first time we tried making tofu, but I am sure it was a disaster.  I think the mysteriousness of tofu comes from the fact that you can’t really compare it to anything else – it comes in a watery package and looks like a big block of gooey sponge.   And since it’s like nothing else, most people have no idea what to do with it.

A lot of people do baked tofu in the oven, but I never think it gets crispy or chewy enough.  There are actually a LOT of different ways to prepare tofu, but I am going to show you the easiest, and my personal favorite.  Since one of the things people fear most about tofu is the texture, this stovetop method is good for first-timers, since it should be wonderfully chewy and not so sponge-like.  Okay, let’s get to it…

How to Cook Delicious Tofu

IMG_8437

Let’s start in the grocery store – sooo many tofu options!  Tofu comes in a range of firmness, from extra firm to silken.  For our purposes here, you want firm or extra firm.  Silken tofu is almost pudding-like, and is best used for smoothies, baking, etc.  Stick to the firm stuff for dinner.  My personal favorite is Nasoya’s Lite Firm tofu…

IMG_1515

For all the healthy eating I do  and good food choices I make, my major area of weakness is portion control.  I LOVE food, and I like to eat a lot of it!  In order to be successful over a long time, the best strategy for me has been to find fresh, natural foods that are high in nutrients, but low in calories, so that I can still eat my big portions, but avoid taking in big calories.  This Nasoya Lite Firm tofu is the only reduced fat/calorie tofu I’ve found, and I think it tastes exactly the same as the regular stuff.  Plus you can eat the entire block for only 200 calories!  (Trust me, it’s been done…)

IMG_1516

Here in Charlotte, I can only find this stuff at Earth Fare, which I don’t go to that often because it’s far away from my house.  So when I do go, I clear out their entire stock – seriously…

2010-01-24 046

Okay, onto the cooking!  In order to make this, all you need is one package of firm or extra firm tofu, cooking spray, and salt and pepper.  And a culinary arts degree of course…

2010-01-24 035

JUST KIDDING.  :)  Start by cutting open the package and draining out the scary water.  Place the block on a cutting board and cut the tofu into 4 even rectangles.  Then go back and cut each one in half – giving you 8 even rectangular blocks.

IMG_1519IMG_1520

Take the blocks and lay them out on an absorbent towel, or a few layers of paper towels.  Wrap these up so that the tofu is covered on all sides, and put something big and heavy on top – I always use cookbooks!  (Casey pointed out the irony in the Beef for All Seasons cookbook – haha!)

IMG_1521IMG_1523

In the meantime, go ahead and get a large non-stick pan heated up on the stovetop, and spray or drizzle with a bit of olive or coconut oil.

IMG_1526

After ten minutes of pressing the tofu, take it out and stack it back up into fours.  Then cut each stack once down the middle long ways,
and three times across the top on the short side – does that make sense?  No?  That’s why there are pictures…

IMG_1528IMG_1532

After all the cuts, you should have each layer sectioned into 8 little cubes, giving you 64 total pieces from the whole block.

IMG_1533

Time to start cooking these bad boys.  Add them to your hot pan – you should hear a sizzle!  Lay them all out in one even later, and give another spritz of olive oil…

2010-01-24 0192010-01-24 026

Add some freshly ground black pepper and salt…

2010-01-24 0292010-01-24 032

Let these sizzle over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes.  If you are feeling antsy, you can check one piece to see if it is browned yet, but wait until they have a good amount of color before flipping.

2010-01-24 034

Once the bottom side is browned, go ahead and flip.  I use my mini spatula to individually flip each piece – tedious, but worth it – I promise.

2010-01-24 037

Let it cook long enough to make sure each side gets good color and crispiness.   Once each side is browned, flip a few more times for a minute or so, just to make sure it is all crispy enough.

2010-01-24 041

2010-01-24 043

2010-01-24 044

That’s all there is to it!  Serve these by themselves or dip them in a yummy sauce – BBQ, ketchup, the possibilities are endless!

2010-01-24 050

This is my favorite way to make plain crispy tofu.  Now that you know how to do the basic process, you’ll be able to try all sorts of different flavors and variations. Hopefully this makes it seem tasty and easy.  Give tofu a chance!

8gaming.tk     at 7:24 pm

As consumer awareness grows; quality, range of amenities, long- term performance and
on-time delivery become the discerning factors and developers who can consistently meet these needs will emerge as
winners. Famous schools like Delhi Public School, Amity International School, Ryan International School, Apeejay
School, Army Public School, Central School, Assisi Convent School, DAV Centenary Public School,
Bal Bharti and Vishwa Bharti Schools and many more schools are present in Noida.
It only becomes illegal if the investor will conspire with appraisers and buyers
to commit mortgage fraud.

Faviana S7049 dress     at 12:27 pm

Our Disney fairy tale bridal gown are offered in a range of sizes,
from 0 to 26, and in a variety of customized colors.

تاپ     at 10:24 pm

Very good information. Lucky me I came across your website by chance (stumbleupon).

Buyex     at 10:02 pm

to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the great work!

پنجره دو جداره     at 5:20 am

mutants genetic behemoth     at 8:32 pm

I like looking through a post that will make men and women think.
Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

โบท็อก     at 7:29 pm

Hey there, I think your site might be having browser
compatibility issues. When I look at your blog site in Chrome, it looks fine but
when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, amazing blog!

bricklayers Canberra     at 5:23 am

Many construction sites will have a confined space.
The completed project will house 53 artists and their
families, she said, and the concourse building will house
creative businesses (‘and incubator space for all kinds of startup businesses and creative individuals”). Websites like Monster and Career Build can have lots of offer in construction jobs.

Gus     at 6:40 pm

Many people thought this law would go away but there is nothing further from the
truth, as you will most likely see this law will probably be expanded in the future
to more commercial properties. This makes it easier to move from room to room and means fewer attachments to keep track
of for upright owners. It makes life easier for the customer so
they can just contact that one seller and get all the information they
need in one place.

Gary     at 10:49 am

It’s ɗifficult to find well-informed people in this particular
topic, but you sound like yoս know what yoս’re talking
about! Thanks

entergy arkansas     at 1:35 pm

Ferret diets should list meat, poultry or fishmeal,
or animal by-products as the first ingredient.

There was a little pomegranate flavor in here too, just enough to give it a little something special – not
much, but a little. Trauma is stored in the body and
nervous system, which you feel strongly at certain times.

Ghasemico     at 10:09 pm

This excellent website certainly has all the information and facts I needed about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

Foam Concrete     at 2:45 am

whoah this blog is excellent i like studying your articles.
Stay up the good work! You recognize, a lot of individuals are searching around for this information, you can help them greatly.

Elena Jones     at 5:13 am

Yum…vegetarian is the way to go. I am in love with your blog. Thanks for posting.

Kathryn     at 6:00 pm

The $20 you found on the street, the poor reviews you got on your work performance, the present you received from your friend.
You wouldn’t if you knew the history of the company dating back to 1971 and the investments
the owners made over the years to make it grow from one small
store in a Seattle shopping center to more than 7,500 world-wide as of February 2007.
For a human person, you might think that it will take long for you to receive a car because it
is so expensive.

Isiah     at 8:05 pm

Wow! After all I got a webpage from where I be
capagle of actually obtain helpful information concerning my study and knowledge.

homeopathy treatment of ADHD in Mumbai     at 3:22 pm

The results could be better performance at school the following day.

The ADHD traits that may have contributed to their success are being able to view problems and situations from a different somewhat unconventional perspective, the ability to generate
new ideas quickly, becoming hyper-focused and extra determined when intrigued, uncanny problem solving ability, drive, heightened intuitive instincts, and creativity.

People learn best when they are engaged with people
that they love.

Danika     at 6:19 pm

I love this! If I refrigerate this, will it be good heated up within the next few days? How do you suggest re-heating? Thank you!!

Buenavida.com.mx     at 6:23 pm

we best food I see how to make good mexican food on http://www.buenavida.com.mx its delicios

webgoles     at 4:14 pm

Real Madrid vs Barcelona en Vivo por http://www.webgoles.tv

essay-mania.com     at 2:31 am

Until your article I didn’t know what is tofu! Now certanly want to try and even cook! Looks very appetizing!

Mary     at 2:13 am

Thanks a lot for sharing this post.

Fitness Suggest an edit     at 4:50 am

عمل بینی     at 1:34 am

good and beutiful article

เสื้อจุติ     at 5:38 am

What i do not realize is in truth how you are now not really a
lot more neatly-appreciated than you may
be right now. You are very intelligent. You already know therefore significantly in relation to this subject, produced me for my part believe it from a lot of numerous angles.
Its like men and women are not interested unless it’s one thing to do with Girl gaga!
Your personal stuffs nice. Always handle it up!

running shoes