Marine Corps Marathon Training Plan.

Finally, as promised – my marathon training plan!  Thanks to those of you who suggested using Google Documents.  Why didn’t I think of that?  :)  Here is the schedule – click to see the details…

MCM Schedule Snip

This plan was put together as a hybrid of ideas from Hal Higdon, Runner World, and my husband’s brilliant advice.  In the past, I have done Hal Higdon’s Novice 1 and 2, as well as Intermediate 1 training schedules.  For all 5 of the marathons I’ve run, I have trained by running 4 days a week, and just focused on mileage – no speed work.

Between the 2008 Chicago Marathon and the 2009 Flying Pig Marathon, I got a LOT faster.  I credit it to two things:

1. Over the freezing Ohio winter, I did the first half of my training exclusively on a treadmill.  By combining the monotony of the treadmill with the desire to get my runs over with, I found myself upping my speed little by little.  When I finally moved back to the sidewalk after almost 2 months on the ‘mill, I was naturally much faster.
  2. I lost weight – the combination of consistent cardio (running) with weight lifting 3 days a week helped me shed my final ten pounds.  While I was by no means fat when I started, ten extra pounds is a lot to carry when you’re running.  I could literally feel the weight coming off as it became easier and easier to pick up my pace.

While I did get faster, and set a great marathon PR, I never really did any formal speed work or advanced training.  This time around, I’m going to try something different.  My schedule is set up to include the following:

Stop-watch

Tempo runs – these are continuous runs with a buildup to a fast pace in the middle, and a gradual slow down after you’ve hit your peak pace.  Runner’s World defines them as “comfortably hard”" runs that are critical to training.  My tempo runs will be on Wednesdays, and I will build up to a speed that is actually faster than my marathon goal pace.  Hopefully these don’t kill me!

Yasso 800’s – created by Running expert, and fellow-vegetarian, Bart Yasso.  Rather than listen to me try to explain these in my own poor wording, I’m going to refer you to Runner’s World again because they’ve already done a really good job of it.  These will be done less often – every three weeks, alternating with the tempo runs (above).

“Easy”  and Long Runs – You will notice that my running pace starts out around a 9:30 minute mile.  The idea is to get used to logging the mileage and time spent on my feet – and gradually increase speed week to week through tempo runs and yasso 800’s.  (I feel like it is important to note that while my schedule has me starting at a 9:30 pace, my natural pace is actually closer to 8:30.  I am intentionally starting out slower, and gradually building up endurance and speed as the weeks progress.  If you’re natural pace is closer to the 9:30 starting point, you would want to slow these early weeks down beyond that.)

IMG_2967[4]

Strength training – now this one is something I’ve done before.  I’ve said it a million times, but I will say it again.  I firmly believe that you cannot run at your maximum potential without incorporating strength training.  Cardio is great, but weights are equally (if not more) important.  Cardio helps you build your endurance, and weights build the muscles that you need to carry you through the tough final miles.  I will be doing weights 2-3 times per week, alternating with yoga.

IMG_1140[3]

Hot Yoga – yoga is a new love that I discovered since moving to Charlotte, so I’ve never really incorporated it fully into a marathon training plan.  For me, yoga is another form of strength training, so I will be alternating it with weight lifting on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.  I find yoga to be relaxing and calming, while also giving me a killer strength workout that works a lot of different muscles.

Sooooooooooo…that is my very long-winded training plan!  You may have noticed that my marathon goal pace is 8:23, which is a 3:40 finishing time.  Yes, 3:40 happens to be the Boston Qualifying time for my age group, but that’s actually not the main thing I’m aiming for.  My previous PR is a 3:50, and that was achieved with good training, but no speed work.  I’m hoping to gain 10 minutes this year – we’ll see.  I actually hate making my goals public, but I want to be honest with you guys in what I’m trying to achieve, so that the training and schedule make sense relative to the goal.  Promise you’ll still love me if I’m not fast enough?  :)

You also may have noticed that I don’t have any rest days scheduled.  I’m just going to be honest – I’m not really a “rest” person.  I like to move and walk, and I feel my best when I am going and active.  Also, while I find yoga to be incredibly challenging, it is also very relaxing, so I consider my yoga days to be a fun treat in the middle of my week.  And of course I am also human – if I feel like I really need to rest, I will.

There you have it!  Twenty weeks of running, yoga, and weight training – hopefully with a celebration at the finish line!

——

I’m also scheduled to run 16 miles the weekend of the Healthy Living Summit in Chicago.  Any other attendees want to run a few with me?  I need a team!  :)

Tracy W.     at 7:53 pm

While training for my first marathon, I incorporated medium and long runs (some short), hill and speed workouts, including Yasso’s 800s and qualified for Boston three years ago and then ran it two years ago. Good Luck! I know you can do it!

Molly     at 8:55 pm

Thanks for posting this! I have a question about pacing… I’ve never run a full marathon and really have no idea what my expected “pace” should be? The longest I’ve run while pushing my pace was probably about 9 miles (I ran a half but with friends so it was a very easy pace). Is there anyway to figure out pacing so that I 1)don’t burn out 2) don’t go too slow? My first marathon is also in Oct!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

There are some really helpful pace predictor tools that you can use, based off another distance you’ve run and timed. If you have run a 5k, enter your time for that, and it will tell you what a realistic half-marathon time will be. They take into account a slower pace for longer mileage.

Sally Mae     at 9:24 pm

This training sched. is amazing!! Very inspiring and makes me want to run another full marathon sometime soon:) I am so tempted to run with you in Chicago – I live in WI so it’s only a few hour drive. I contemplated attending the HLS, but missed out on getting tickets:( I’m excited for your training – you are going to do awesome!!!!

Heather     at 9:37 pm

You are very ambitious! It’s extremely inspiring!!
I hope this marathon is everything you want it to be!

juliet     at 10:13 pm

great plan! do you do xtraining on your strength training/yoga days like the elliptical? or do you leave your cardio for run days?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

i consider yoga to be a part of my cross-training too. i don’t belong to a gym anymore, so i don’t have access to an elliptical. when we move, i’m hoping to get back into biking a lot!

Emily     at 10:20 pm

I totally agree about strength training being so beneficial to running! My track coach got really into weight lifting during my second season of track–we sprinters were lifting almost as much as the disc/shot put throwers. I noticed a huge difference and cut about 10 seconds off my 400 m time. It was so cool to see what a difference strength training made in my form and speed!

Annie@stronhealthyfit     at 4:13 am

Awesome. best of luck in your training! I wish I could join you for your run in Chicago, but I chose to take a vacation at the beginning of the summer and won’t be able to go to the HLS. :-( Maybe next year!

Laine @ Beets, Butter and Mountaintops     at 5:36 am

I read this post at 4:30am on my iPhone when the birds woke me up, and it totally inspired me to get up (instead of trying to sleep until 6) and go biking.

Thank you!! And good luck with your training!!

Laine @ Beets, Butter and Mountaintops     at 7:34 am

13.5 miles biked! Thanks again for the inspiration.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

you are AWESOME! and now you will feel good all day knowing that you already worked out. :)

Whitney     at 8:02 am

Emily- I am currently reading a book titled Racing Weight- How to get lean for peak performance, by Matt Fitzgerald. Your comment about losing weight is right on. The leaner you are the better you are at your sport. This book is directed towards endurance athletes and I think you would find it relative for yourself. I have learned a lot from it. Good luck with all of your training!! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I will check out that book – awesome! Thanks!

Jen     at 8:04 am

You’re totally going to BQ Emily! Your plan sounds great!

The weekend of HLS I have a 14- or 16- miler planned (depending on which marathon I sign up for) at 9-9:10 pace so I’ll definitely run with you.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

LOVE that. Running buddies make it soooo much easier! Love that you are going to the HLS too – I had no idea!

Lee     at 8:17 am

I see you will be in Atlanta in August. I live there! Let me know if you need any recommendations about the city! (Or want to meet another blogger for frozen yogurt!)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

FUN! I’ll be going for a Bachelorette party for my future sister-in-law. I am always down for fro-yo. :)

sirenjess     at 8:29 am

Good luck girl!!!! Yasso 800′s do help with speed. Last year I ran the San Francisco marathon and qualified there for Boston. I ran Boston this year and it was amazing. The plan you’ve got set up is the way to go. You will definitely qualify following your plan. Bart Yasso was at the San Francisco marathon and when I crossed he was on the mike and announced that my group of women had just qualified for the Boston marathon. It was amazing.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

You qualified for Boston in San Fran?? Impressive!! I saw Bart at the Flying Pig at my hotel, and I was too nervous to say something – totally regret it now!

LK (runliftchantbreathe.com)     at 8:59 am

Hi Emily: I know that you are super busy, but if you can find 20 minutes in the morning or evening, yogadownload.com has some great free 20 minute downloads of different yoga routines. Though I am not marathn training, I run, lift and practice yoga and I find that the daily practice, even minimal, really keeps me stretched out and limber, particularly in the hips.

Kelly     at 10:43 am

Your new blog look looks great! I’m glad you figured out how to get everything transferred over to WordPress. I love WordPress and I’m sure you’ll really like it too.

I’m definitely going to follow your training. I’m toying with the idea of training for the Disney myself, but I want to see where I’m at when I return from my honeymoon in August to announce that officially.

Kristina @goodnweird     at 10:51 am

Thanks for posting this. I’m also trying to qualify for Boston this fall. I’m basing my workout off the FIRST program but changing it up to suit my needs. I definitely need to get better about weight training. What do you do for weights? Good luck! Your plan looks awesome.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Check out the Fitness page for some examples of our weight training routines – mostly free weights, plyometrics, and abs! :)

Meghann     at 11:00 am

I’m not really a ‘rest day’ kind of person either. ;)

And I am game for 16 miles in Chicago! I still need to build my plan for the Chicago marathon in October – yikes!

Jen     at 11:47 am

Thanks for sharing your training plan. So awesome that you’re shooting for a BQ! It certainly seems possible for you based on your past PR and this well-thought out plan.

And now you have totally given me the push I needed to put my MCM training plan together. Although, I will not be BQ’ing – hoping for a 4-hour finish.

I also really struggle with taking complete rest days. I feel like my workouts are varied enough that I’m not overdoing it (hopefully?).

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Exactly – I think mixing up the workouts makes a big difference. We totally need to plan to do some of these long painful runs together! I bet we are right around the same pace.

And a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

Therese     at 2:36 pm

Wow! Awesome training plan! This will be the first time I have planned to incorporate regular strength training days into my race training, I’m excited for not just the physical benefits but also for my race benefits! I want my first half to be run STRONG (especially seeing as it’s renowned as being a flat course)!

I’m excited to follow along with you!!!

Cathy     at 4:06 pm

Thanks for sharing your training plan! I was wondering what your strength training with weights exercises included?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Cathy – check out my fitness page for a few examples of the weight workouts we do! I’ll be posting another one shortly for our current workout. Mostly plyometrics, free weights, and abs.

Melissa     at 8:02 pm

You have a great plan for your training! BQ quality for sure.

I’ll be doing MCM as well this year but I am going to try and BQ 3 weeks earlier in Steamtown. I am concerned the crowds at MCM will keep me from doing it so I picked a smaller marathon. I’m doing MCM with friends–plus I live here in the DC area so it’s about time I did it!

My target is 3:50 as I am 41–I’ve found that I do need one rest day now that I’m in my 40s but in my 20s and 30s…never! My PR is 3:56 so I’m pushing hard to shave off 6 minutes. I really think I can finally do it as my training is going well so far.

Congrats on a well-planned training schedule!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

that’s a good point to consider. my husband ran it last year and it was REALLY crowded the whole time. guess i’ll just do my best! GOOD LUCK to you :) i hope I am that fast when I’m 41!

betsy     at 9:37 am

wow, i feel like such a newbie compared to all of these comments about 16 milers, etc.
but…I am on week 2 of the couch to 5k, running x3/week, strength training x3/week & chasing kids x7/week. made it 3.2 miles last night for the first time ever, & have you to thank for the proper inspiration! thanks!!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

everyone starts somewhere! i started with couch to the 5K too, and i still think my proudest running moment was running for 15 minutes non-stop for the first time. :) CONGRATS on your awesome run!

Chelsey     at 8:05 pm

How did you get the google document into your post? I have been trying to get my plan for my half in september uploaded (thanks for the great idea btw), but can’t figure it out!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I did the Google Document “share” to get a link to the document as a webpage. Then I took a desktop snapshot of the document itself, and linked the photo to the link from Google Documents.

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs     at 2:11 pm

Hey! I just clicked over from Meghann’s blog – I’m running the Marine Corps too!! I’m due for a 14miler that weekend, so could I please run with you!? Would you mind emailing me or something? I’d be thrilled to have a running partner :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

that is GREAT news! we can definitely run together!! cant wait to meet you at the HLS :)

Chase (TheChaseProject)     at 10:30 pm

I love this! I am getting ready to do my first marathon in March 2011. Good work!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

congrats on running your first 26.2 – that is AWESOME!

Danielle     at 10:19 am

Emily, you need to check out Down Dog Yoga once you move to DC. It is the best (actually pretty much only) hot yoga studio. You will love it!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have seen that website! Awesome – can’t wait to check it out when we get there.

Whitney     at 10:55 am

I am scheduled to run 14 on the Saturday morning of HLS. I run much slower than you but I am training with Chicago Endurance Sports and they have a bunch of groups that go out from Lincoln Park (I can give you more details) and I bet they would love to have more people for this run.

Or if you girls want to do it Sunday, I can give advice on the best routes along the lakefront with water stops. Our local running store, Fleet Feet, does hydration stations on the weekends along the running path.

sassy molassy     at 6:53 pm

Good luck on the LR at HLS! That is tough to fit in long runs on busy out of town weekends. I’ve got an 18er on the docket for tomorrow morning out of town.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you!! Good luck to you too!

Andrea     at 6:05 pm

Thanks for the training program!! I have been searching everywhere for a program that incorporated weight training and yoga. I recently started running and have not been able to find anything to help me incorporate the my weight training. Thanks again!!

Gabriella     at 7:44 am

I ran the 2008 Chicago Marathon as well and I’m looking forward to the 2011 Marine Corps Marathon! I just posted my training plan today on my blog as well. How long have you been running? Best of luck with the training and on race day!

Been running since 2007! Good luck at MCM – such a great race!

Gabriella     at 7:46 am

just re-read the date and saw this was for last year…none the less, i enjoyed seeing your plan and I hope you’ve got some great races planned for this season!

john     at 1:49 pm

Is there any way you could post an .xls version of your training plan? I would like to download it and make some minor modifications, and use it as my plan.

Rachel     at 11:52 pm

Hi! I am going to use your exact training routine to run the Seattle marathon November 27th! I only have 18 weeks so I had to adjust your schedule just a bit but it looks great! I was wondering how exactly to do the tempo runs- is there a warm up or cool down or do you pick the pace up even more for the last few miles? Or do you just run the entire distance at that week’s set pace?

Also, could you explain in a little more detail how to do the yasso? I understand the 4:02 pace time but how many 800s should I run each time?

Thanks!!!

If you go to Runners World online, they have a really great description of how to do the tempos and yassos – that’s where I got the base for my training!

John     at 11:47 am

Hi,

So how did this plan work out for you?
What was your MCM time?
I previously have never ran over 5mi, and never consistantly over 2mi at a time.
I did do field sports here and there.
My training started out in 1/04/2012 where I ran 2mi in 25min, but now I’m up to running 4mi 3x a week in sub 32min.
The farthest I’ve ran is 7mi in a hr.
However, my right toe is consistantly sore, and I’m wondering if I should tone down the training.
Any advice for the new runner?

Thanks!

Austin Lasseter     at 6:05 am

Thanks for the training schedule! I was googling “marine corps marathon training” and came across this link. Also very impressed by your cool blog – shared it with my wife. Cheers, A.

Glad you found me! :)

Jessica Styers     at 11:53 am

I love your Blog! I just started my own blog a few weeks ago so I am brand new to the blogging world. I have been looking into a good training plan to run my first full marathon. I have done a couple of half marathons already and I think I will be ready for my first full marathon next year. I will definitly this training plan…thanks so much! Check out my blog if you would like..we have a lot of the same interest…however I still have a lot of work to do with mine haha. It is supersonicsunflower.wordpress.com

Thanks Jessica! So glad you found the blog. :)

xt_blog     at 12:55 am

If you want to get a good deal from this paragtraph then you
have to apply thesee methods to your won webpage.

strength training programs     at 5:39 am

always i used to read smaller articles that as well clear their motive, and that is also happening with this post which I am reading here.