How to Make Your Own Protein Powder Mix.

If I had a quarter for every time someone asked me, “So you’re a vegetarian – how do you get your protein?” – I’d be a blogging from the South of France.  :)  To answer that question, first off I think that people generally tend to grossly overestimate how much protein they really need in one day, since the body can only absorb so much at one time.  But we also eat a lot of tofu, beans, lentils, and vegetables – yes, vegetables have protein too!  The other main source of our protein?  SMOOTHIES!

But navigating the protein powder aisle can be both confusing and scary – those tubs are expensive!  We’ve spent the past few years trying a lot of different protein powders – whey, rice, soy, Amazing Grass, Vega, and more.  Casey finally came up with the idea that – based on the ingredient lists of a few other protein mixes – we could simply make our own for a fraction of the price by ordering the basic components ourselves.

As far as base protein powders go, we wanted something vegan, and ultimately settled on Bob’s Red Mill Hemp Protein Powder.  (For more info on the various types of protein powder, see Ashley’s post.)

Using the Thrive diet, a plant-based way of eating formulated specifically for athletes, we found that there were a few “superfoods” that aren’t typically found in everyday foods, but that we wanted to incorporate into our eating.  Things like chlorella, maca, and spirulina – I could go on and on about the health benefits of these superfoods, but for this post I will try to keep it to a minimum.

We ordered products online, experimented with various combinations, and ultimately came up with our own super nutritious, and far less expensive protein mix that we now use every day.  Here we go!

Understanding the Ingredients

Ingredients:

• 2 cups hemp protein powder
  • 1 cup PB2 powder
  • 1 cup ground flax
  • 1/3 cup maca powder
  • 2 tbsp + 2 tsp chlorella powder
  • 4 tsp spirulina
  • 4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp (concentrated) stevia

Here’s a quick look at the ingredients, one by one.  We’ve already talked about this one…

If you’re a long-time reader of my blog, you know that I am a recovering peanut butter addict, and therefore swear by PB2 – powdered peanut butter for a fraction of the calories of the real stuff.  While I love it in it’s normal application too, it is especially useful for things like this, which require…powdered peanut butter!  It is also another good source of added protein.

Ground flax is an awesome source of omega 3’s for vegetarians, and gives a great nutritional boost to this smoothie mix.

Maca is actually a South American plant, and the derived powder is packed with vitamins, plant sterols, and many essential minerals and amino acids.  It is used to help increase stamina and combat fatigue – essential for athletes!

Spirulina is actually a dark green algae (I know!) that is rich in proteins, vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids.  It is another great addition to a vegetarian diet because it is high in the B complex vitamins, as well as iron and zinc.

Chlorella is another scary looking green powder, but I assure you it is fabulous.  Yes it is algae and it smells like yard clippings, but it is also a powerful immune system booster, and greatly beneficial for detoxification and digestion.

We add 1 tsp of concentrated stevia to our mix for a touch of sweetness, but it is entirely optional.  Some people don’t like the stevia aftertaste, but it doesn’t bother me at all.  You could always just add an extra splash of agave or honey to your final smoothie!

Okay, now we know WHY we’re eating what we’re eating, so let’s move on …

Building the Protein Powder Base

First up, add the flax to the food processor and give it a few pumps.

Flax tends to get clumpy, and you want to make sur
e it’s smooth when the rest of the ingredients are added.

Next, dump all the rest of the ingredients into your food processor.

Remember those candles that were made of layered sand that we all had back in the 90’s?  That’s what this reminds me of…

With everything in there, let ‘er rip!  You want to make sure everything is well mixed and distributed.

Add the final product to a sealable tub, and BAM – you’ve just created your own superfood protein powder blend!  High five!

The serving size for this mix is 1/4 cup, so I just usually leave my measuring cup right in the tub for easy access.  This powder recipe will yield a total of 18 quarter-cup servings, so you don’t have to do this very often!

So I Have a Tub of Powder…Now What?

Here comes the fun part – turning this brownish green funky smelling powder into something absolutely delicious.  Yes, your food processor is already dirty.  Bear with me – get out the blender.

First up – one banana!

Next add about 1 cup of frozen fruit – we chose blueberries, strawberries, and mango, yuuuuuuum.

Add 1/4 cup of your new protein powerhouse blend…

A squirt of agave to sweeten…

Add one half-cup of almond milk and then top off with enough water to cover the ingredients.  Time to BLEND!

While the mixture is blending, drop a handful of spinach into the top.  Do it.

Ahhhhh sweet nectar.

It seems like a lot of work now, but once you’ve put together the protein mix base, making the smoothie itself is a piece of cake.

I have one of these every single morning with my breakfast!  (And no, that is not a breakfast picture – busted!)

At this point you might be asking… >

Seems Like a Lot of Work – Is it Really Worth It?

Get ready for me to bust out some hard core nerdiness on you now.  Casey is the original math nerd of the family, so he ran some data to see how our home blend stacked up against the big dogs, and if we were really saving ourselves any $$ by making our own.

We picked the two most popular (in our opinion) “Superfood” drink mixes on the market right now, and compared them to our Front Burner Blend.  The stats show that our mix is just as nutritious as our mainstream rivals, and a heck of a lot cheaper.  See for yourself…

FB Blend

Vega Sport Amazing Grass

1/4 cup serving

$0.53 $2.31 $2.81

Calories

104 99 101

Fat

4 3 3

Carbs

9 9 14

Fiber

7 6 7

Protein

11 10 7

Now don’t get me wrong – I love both Vega and Amazing Grass, and I think there is a time and a place for both, especially for their great specialty flavors (chai, anyone?).  But for an every day product, we needed something more affordable.  When you consider that we each drink one of these smoothies every day, the price savings is HUGE, and the nutrition stats are right in line with these top two brands.

I know that smoothies and green monsters are all the rage in blog-land.  I encourage you guys to add a little boost to your spinach and bananas the next time you fire up the blender.

Katie (Sweet Tater)     at 11:06 am

amazing! seriously… amazing. i’ve been on the hunt for a protein powder but they all taste wretched, are outrageously priced or have weird ingredients and sweeteners. this is exactly what we want. definitely making.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

let me know how it turns out when you do!

Shannon     at 11:21 am

This is one of the best blog posts I’ve ever read in blogland. So, thank you! I’ve been eyeing all the various protein powders for such a long time and have put off purchasing one because of the price, ingredients, etc. I will be making this :)

Wow, thanks! :)

Megan (Running Foodie)     at 11:22 am

Emily, you are a genius! I have been going back and forth in the protein powder section of WF trying to decide if a tub of Amazing Grass is worth the huge chunk of change. Now I’ll jut make my own! :)

Ann @ Appalachian Appetites     at 11:30 am

I learned about spirulina in Africa when I was there with the Peace Corps. Some Catholic nuns were cultivating it and giving it to malnourished children…They were super proud of it and really thought it made a difference. So excited to see you using it!

It is so good for you!

Brittney     at 11:32 am

Wow so cool! Might have to try this! Is it kind of peanut butter flavored from the PB2? Have you done other flavors like chocolate?

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils Reply:

I have the same question. I actually really dislike peanut butter so I’m wondering if you could sub a different flavor.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Add an extra scoop of hemp protein powder if you dont want to add the PB, but I promise you it doesn’t give a peanut butter flavor. Just more of a nutty taste!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We HAVE done chocolate!! Just add some cocoa powder and a little more sweetener! :)

Stephanie Reply:

So to make chocolate you omit the PB2? How much cocoa powder do you add? thanks!

You dont have to omit the PB2, it can be chocolate peanut butter. I’d just add a tablespoon or two, depending on your tastes.

Stephanie Reply:

Thank you! I’m very excited to try this :)
Currently gathering the ingredients…

Kylia Hassett Reply:

I know this is a very old post but if you make this into choc do you add a tablespoon or two of coco powder to the initial mix up or just to the 1/4 cup you put into the smoothie you are making?
Thanks for this post I am excited to try it.

Allie     at 11:34 am

it’s never even occurred to me to make my own, and yet i’ve struggled to find a protein powder i like as a vegetarian/ vegan. this is great, thank you!

Jen     at 11:36 am

You’re so creative and resourceful! I really appreciate the nerdiness. Hard to argue when you’re saving that much money!

Angela     at 11:39 am

This is a great post – I never buy protein powder because its so expensive, but I had no idea how to replicate it. I just got PB2 and I’m so excited to see that you use it here. I haven’t tried it yet, but I might make a batch of protein powder this weekend. Happy Friday!

Marty     at 11:42 am

Thanks for a great post! I hate spending exhorbitant amounts of money for the questionable ingredients in most protein powders. I have not seen the PB powder before so I will have to search out that one. Your mix does not look great visually but I trust your judgement and will give it a try!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It tastes MUCH better than it looks! You can order PB2 from Bell Plantation.

Achala Reply:

Are these ingredients available at Whole Foods?

Achala Reply:

Oh ya thanks much for the post :) Its awesome

Therese     at 11:56 am

Awesome! Once my current supply is done I’m gonna have to check this one out!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 11:57 am

Wow, thanks for figuring out this recipe and the cost and everything!! I would definitely try it in the future.

Jen     at 12:07 pm

Hi there! New reader here. This post has me hooked. Healthy and on a budget? THANK YOU! Any good places to purchase the bigger ticket items (spirulina, etc)?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awesome – welcome! :) We ordered all of the powders (except for PB2) from Nuts Online – http://www.nutsonline.com – very good prices and fast shipping! PB2 is sold at Bell Plantation – http://www.bellplantation.com – Hope that helps!

Dorry     at 12:12 pm

Most informative post ever! Thank you. :)

Awesome!! :)

AllieNic (Frisky Lemon)     at 12:47 pm

This is SUCH a good idea! Thanks for sharing!

Laura     at 12:50 pm

This post is why i read your blog everyday – its never boring and full of great ideas! You mention that you ordered the products online, do you have any great websites that you use?
Love your blog :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Omg! THANK YOU! Made me blush… :)

As far as ordering the products, we ordered all of the powders (except for PB2) from Nuts Online – http://www.nutsonline.com – very good prices and fast shipping! PB2 is sold at Bell Plantation – http://www.bellplantation.com – Hope that helps!

Laura Reply:

Amazing – I found nutsonline(they even ship to Canada :)) but couldnt find the PB2 – Cant wait to make it!

Mary Ann     at 12:56 pm

Thank you , thank you, thank you (to both you and Casey). This is why I read your blog every day. Thank you for giving us vegan runners nutrition info we can really use and afford!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

AWESOME! Thank YOU for reading and enjoying! :)

Kelsey (Nourishing Noshes)     at 1:01 pm

I’ve never even thought about making my own protein powder! What a clever idea!

Do you happen to know the calorie content per serving?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

For 1/4 cup of the powder, it is 104 calories. Then just add up the calories of whatever you choose to add to your smoothie!

Dee     at 1:02 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! What an extremely informative and helpful post. :)

Karen     at 1:03 pm

LOVE this post, Emily! Thank you for your generosity in sharing this creative alternatie to the over-priced protein powder lining the shelves of Whole Foods. You really are one exceptionally innovative chef! (I too would love to hear your thoughts re. an alternative to PB-2. Perhaps a substitute wouldn’t be necessary given that the final concoction will have enough flavor? Or, will it taste too chalky?)

Thanks again!!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

If you don’t want to add the PB2, I would just add an extra cup of the hemp protein, bc by eliminating it you’ll be decreasing the protein content. The PB powder really doesn’t give it a PB taste, more of just a little nuttiness, but I understand if you don’t want to buy it since you don’t like PB!

Karen Reply:

Doubling the hemp is a smart idea, Emily. This way, the nutritional profile will remain fairly in tact.

I’d vote for you as a vegetarian/vegan cooking show host on Food Network in a heartbeat…you should pitch it! Or, how about pursuing work as a personal chef, a caterer, or a chef at a health retreat/spa? All would likely provide you creative challenges – your strong suit.

Haha thanks!

Clare     at 1:32 pm

Love this post but I’m actually posting to say that I own that dress too! Love it.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh fun! Are you going to the summit? We can be twins! :)

Charlie@CharlieGirlBlog     at 2:00 pm

Nice!! I like how you think. Have you ever tried Sun Warrier? How does the taste compare to hemp protein powder? Cute dress BTW :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I actually haven’t tried that one, but I was just reading about it last night.

Charlie@CharlieGirlBlog     at 2:01 pm

and by warrier i mean warrior.

Nicole     at 2:17 pm

Ooh! I know I owe you a quarter!

I’ll have to try this, just to see what it’s like. I’ve been using whey protein but was looking for something different to try. I’ve got a project now for this weekend!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha a LOT of people owe me a quarter. :) Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE answering the question, because there are so many great sources of vegetarian protein!

Shauna     at 2:22 pm

Emily,

You and Casey should go into business :-)

I agree! :)

Claudia     at 2:53 pm

this is a MUST read post.
thank you for breaking it down.
I’ve been looking for a Protein Powder to add to my GM and now that you’ve explained what’s actually in one this makes just perfect sense.
thank you!!

awesome! you’re welcome!

Alayna     at 3:27 pm

Thank you for this! I’ve been wanting to make my own smoothie powder but just assumed to buy all those products, which are expensive on thier own, would come out more expensive than a ready-made powder where the manufacturer gets bulk discounts on the ingredients. Thanks for doing the math for me! I will definitely make my own now!

Clare     at 3:34 pm

Darn! I just came back from Whole Foods with a humongous, expensive tub of protein powder. It never occurred to me to make it myself but I will next time! The poster above who said “this is why I come to your blog” was spot on. I love these type of visual demos. Nice job.

Haha next time!

Lindsey     at 3:38 pm

I’m going to have to try this. Are the ingredients hard to find?

Kim Reply:

You can also buy PB2 by the lb on Amazon for around $8-$9.

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales     at 4:07 pm

Wow, I never would have even thought you could make a home made protein powder, that’s pretty impressive!

Cate     at 4:34 pm

What perfect timing for this post! I was just about to order some Amazing Grass, but I was grumbling because of the expense. This solves my dilemma. Thanks so much!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 4:42 pm

I think you and Casey should put in a pitch to the Food Network to host a vegetarian cooking show! So many great ideas.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I SO wish the Food Network had a vegetarian cooking show! And I also wish it was mine. :)

liane     at 5:11 pm

I JUST ran out of protein powder and found myself perusing the aisles of WF’s last week looking for a replacement. I actually thought “I bet I could make this myself”, but then had NO idea where to begin. This is GENIUS! Thank you so much :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awesome! Glad I could help :)

Julie @ Pickley Pear     at 5:14 pm

You could totally sell this and make a living! I don’t have the patience to make my own – it’s definitely worth my time to buy protein powder, and I don’t even use it that much because I do eat meat (don’t hate me!). What a great alternative though!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha I don’t hate you. :)

Ana     at 5:57 pm

Awesome post, I love all the nutrition you two packed into your FB protein powder, that is amazing!!!
I wish there were an “AB2″ made with almonds instead of peanuts, I love almond butter but am not a big fan of pb.
Thank you so much for sharing your protein powder creation with us readers Emily, really thanks!! I will try making the powder mix myself as I also love amazing meal and vega and totally agree with you, the thing is expensive (and I too drink a smoothie every single morning for breakfast)
Ana

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

That would be awesome if they made one with almonds! To be honest, the PB2 doesn’t really give it a peanut butter flavor, more just a general nuttiness. But if you wanted to skip it, I would just bump up the protein powder since it is a good protein source in the mix.

Ana Reply:

It would be really cool to have an “AB2″! I think I will send an e-mail suggesting that to the PB2 folks! :-)
Thanks again Emily! I am glad that the pb powder imparts more nuttiness than flavor (I like nuttiness!), I may try it with that! (but upping the protein powder is a good idea too!)
Ana

Elaine @ Om Sweet Om     at 6:36 pm

This is an AWESOME post. Totally mind-blowing and I learned lots too!

Jayna     at 9:29 pm

You and Casey are genius. . . seriously. . .

haha thank you :)

Emilyeatsclean     at 11:21 pm

Never thought about making my own protein powder…..that’s pretty cool!!

Carrie     at 11:28 pm

What an amazing and very inspiring post on protein. I love your blog and have named it my favorite with this post :)

Oh wow – thanks!

Christina     at 2:34 am

So awesome!! Thanks for sharing this and esp. for sharing the spreadsheet- totally makes all that work seem worth it!

I love spreadsheets! :)

Ashley     at 2:50 am

Thanks for the shout out!! I really need to finish those protein posts…always SO much to do with the blog..ah! Such a good idea here. I’ve been DIY’ing a lot of home products and never thought to DIY protein powder. I can totally see that it would be cheaper, just like the at home products I’m making. You have to invest a little in the ingredients but in my experience, it ends up being cheaper because you can usually make multiple batches. Anyway, love this! Can’t wait to meet..less than a month!

yaaaaay! :)

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self     at 8:03 am

This is great! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

alexe @ soyaetchocolat     at 10:30 am

Wow, great post! So much informations! I wanted to replace my whey protein with a vegan protein but the prices were exorbitant… Now I know what I’ll do next! Thank you!

kath     at 2:44 pm

Awesome post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacki     at 8:38 pm

Hi Emily. I live in Charlotte and was wondering what stores you go to in order to purchase all of the ingredients. Which stores have the best prices?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog     at 10:43 am

Awesome!! Welcome, and thanks! :)

Pure2raw twins     at 5:20 pm

Great post! We love Vega, but yes it is expensive. Love your mix! I have a green smoothie every morning!

Jessica (electropositive)     at 6:53 pm

you know, I was recently thinking of ways to budget a little better. When my AG runs out, I will definitely be making this! Thank you so much!

Kevin     at 9:47 pm

Has anyone tried just mixing it up with a cup of water or milk? How does it taste? I don’t always have the time to blend up a smoothie. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Kevin! We haven’t tried that, but there is the Vega Shake N Go product that is made for that specific reason. I’m actually going to review it this week on the blog!

Sarah     at 3:01 pm

This is fantastic! The husband and I were just talking about cutting back on expenses and I am a big Green Monster fan. Thank you:-).

Amber K     at 12:28 am

Very informative post! I have been using 100% non-GMO pea protein. I also add cocoa powder and some stevia to my smoothies. I buy a packet of amazing grass sometimes and use 1/4 of it each time to spread out the cost.

Shawn Smith     at 4:14 pm

Hello:)

Do you know how many grams of protein, carbs and fat are contained per serving?

Thanks, Shawn

Shawn,
The chart that I included contains all of that information above. The first column is all of the homemade mix’s stats! Hope that helps.

Shawn Smith Reply:

You rule:)

20 = 13 ? | Enthusiastic Runner     at 12:47 pm

[...] 1/4 cup of Emily‘s protein mix – 2 cups of Spinach – handful of frozen strawberries – 8 oz. of Pineapple [...]

recent thoughts of mine that have made me want to give myself a wedgie | kdiddy.org     at 4:09 pm

[...] baby is around since he’s allergic. And The Front Burner has me excited about making my own protein powder mix. I’m still assembling the ingredients, which are a somewhat heavy upfront investment. She [...]

Theo Thurston     at 11:18 am

Hi Emily – cool recipe . . . I’ve heard stevia is hard to mix. Guess the food processor takes care of that?

Linda     at 1:29 pm

can you please tell me the measurments???
1/4 hemp powder
1/2 cup almond milk
papaya-strawberry-blueberry??
I am very confused regarding the measurments, how many of each?
I think i am doing something wrong and i also use vanilla almond milk ? is this ok or should be regular almond milk? is hemp milk better than almond milk?
thanks…Linda

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Linda! The measurements are in the post – did you see the ingredients list? Vanilla almond milk should be fine. We use the unsweetened Almond Breeze.

Tofu Swamp Smoothie | Oh Healthy Day     at 5:40 pm

[...] from Running Foodie also suggested that I check out making my own protein powder (from The Front Burner). It’s much much cheaper than buying it and doesn’t seem [...]

Rachel     at 9:57 am

THANK YOU!!! This post is my answer to getting my boyfriend away from his whey protein powder. He eats a vegan diet, but has been unwilling to give up his protein powder.

You are most welcome! :)

Allison @ Happy Tales     at 12:48 pm

This is AMAZING! You are awesome for coming up with this. Just one question, how long does the mix last if you don’t make a protein smoothie everyday? Would it go bad in like, a month?

Karin     at 4:36 pm

Not sure if you read old comments, but if you do I have a request :-) It would be awesome if you could post a homemade protein bar recipe that uses this powder. I travel a lot and would love a way to bring this on the road.

Hi Karin! What a good idea. I will work on whipping up something in the next few weeks!

Amanda     at 8:36 pm

this is a great idea! once you make the protein powder, how long before it goes bad (if ever)? also i’d love to see a protein bar recipe using this!

If kept in a jar, I don’t really see why it would go bad. We keep ours for months at a time (before it runs out). I’m working on a bar recipe!

Jackie     at 5:29 pm

I just made this and it is really tasty! I hate the taste and smell of both spirulina and chlorella but once mixed I couldn’t detect it. I used rice protein powder since that is what I had on hand, but I look forward to trying it with hemp. Thanks!

enjoi74     at 11:06 pm

Could this be considered a meal replacement on it’s own or would I have to add much to it.

j bizzle     at 4:52 pm

So what would you recommend substituting for those with peanut allergies? Some other type of legume or bean?

I would just leave the peanut flour out!

kdiddy     at 11:32 am

Hi Emily. I made this protein mix a little while ago and really like it. However, I didn’t refrigerate it and apparently something in it turned. The last two times I made smoothies with it, I got pretty sick. Do you usually keep yours in the fridge? I’m thinking it may have been the flax that did me wrong. My Googling tells me that that may have been the most likely culprit.

Oh wow – really?? I have no idea! We don’t store ours in the fridge and have never had that happen. How long had you been storing the mix? Maybe the container wasn’t airtight? We use glass jars with screw lids, and usually keep the mix around a month or so. I am so sorry!

kdiddy Reply:

Could’ve been a container flaw. I’ll try the glass jars next time. Thanks for replying!

Lisa Reply:

ground Flax after opening the bag or grinding fresh seeds should be kept in the fridge. It will go bad.

Michelle     at 1:52 pm

Hey, I just wanted to say I made this mix about a month ago and LOVE it. My husband even drinks it now – we’re both hooked and are even recognizing the benefits. I took your word on the awesomeness of some of the superfoods in the mix – but would you consider doing a post on some of them? I don’t know a whole lot about them (eg: spirulina) and would love to hear your take. Are you still drinking this while pregnant? Anyway, thanks a lot :)

I’m so glad you like it! Yep, still drinking smoothies while pregnant. I will see what I can do about the superfoods post. :)

Keren     at 4:15 pm

My mom has dairy and soy allergies and needed a good drink for after some tough workouts. We made this together, and it has been wonderful for her!

We did more research on hemp protein powder because she can react to a lot of foods, but hemp is pretty hypoallergenic. A big plus for us. Thank you for this recipe. We both love it.

Brett     at 8:24 pm

Looking at my tub of Vega Sport, it shows 20g of protein per serving. Your chart lists it as 10g. Is that a typo? Thanks!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs Reply:

I just did a ridiculous amount of research on this (bored?) and it looks like their serving size is 1/2 cup as opposed to Emily’s 1/4, which makes sense. 10g is for 1/4 cup, not 1/2.

Brett Reply:

I’m not sure where you researched it, but I’m looking at the actual product. The scoop is 1/4 cup, and the label lists 20g per serving.

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs Reply:

Then I’d trust that :P Maybe Emily did the same research I did, which was a bunch of conversions from 27g of powder/50cc/etc to equal 1/2 cup.

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 7:19 pm

Awesome, awesome. I’ve got about 4 tubs of hemp protein powder that I could spruce up :)

Allison     at 10:52 am

This post is great! I’m so glad you linked back to it. I’ll definitely be using this in the future.

Stefanie     at 3:13 pm

I may just try this once I am out of my protein powder.

Nicky     at 10:03 pm

This is a really great idea. I make smoothies (though they are more like “sludgies”) every morning and I spoon stuff out of all kinds of smaller containers (chia, maca, protein powder, chlorella, spirulina). It never occurred to me to make a “master mix” out of everything. This will be much easier at 7 am.
BTW, I’ve started adding a Tbsp of coconut oil to my smoothies and it’s made my skin much softer and my nails amazingly strong.
Love your blog.

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs Reply:

YEAH? I thought coconut oil needed to be applied topically but the idea of putting in my smoothies makes me so happy! Cool testimony!

jen     at 2:51 pm

thank you for this post and the comments are great too. has given me so many ideas!

Courtney @ Pursuit of Healthiness     at 10:08 pm

I finally was able to try this today and I love it! Thanks so much for putting this all together into a post, it’s so helpful. I wrote about my adventure making it at on my blog, pursuit-healthiness.blogspot.com. Can’t wait to see what else you have in store :)

Glad you liked it!

Kora     at 10:06 am

We just started using your protein mix for our smoothies and oatmeal — it’s fantastic. We bought the chocolate PB2 because we have a problem, and that problems name is chocolate. :-) Thanks so much for sharing!

These are a few of my favorite things | CarliCraves     at 9:45 am

[...] -1/4 cup of Emily’s Protein Powder [...]

Lyndsay     at 7:13 pm

I am sooooo grateful I found this post. Firstly, Congratulations to you and Casey on Cullen. Secondly, I am a huge fan of your blog and have made several of your recipes (butternut squash enchiladas are my fave)! and thirdly, do you need to include the PB2? I live in Toronto, Canada where it’s not readily available. Should I add more hemp powder? or just omit it completely???
Thanks! Lyndsay

Lyndsay Reply:

oh no! I just read the rest of the comments, hahaha! Congratulations and thank you anyways.

No you can definitely leave it out!

Helen     at 1:52 pm

I just received my order from nuts.com mixed this up. It does have a funky smell and was leary of how it would taste. I am happy to report it is great as a smoothie.

john     at 7:26 am

Thanks for all the great info; do you know what the shelf life is for this concoction? I’m wondering about making up larger batches.

We have stored it for up to 3-4 month with no problems!

Mike     at 9:21 am

Has anyone used this mix with just water? I am looking to save money by making it from scratch but I drink my shakes in my shaker on .my way out of the gym. I was wondering if this one was tasty that way. Also is there a way to boost the protein up to like 15 or 16 gms per serving? I like to take 30gm so if I could get it to like 15gm I could just shake up 2 servings. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Candy Reply:

I was just getting ready to post this same question. My husband would like to make something chocolate and just add water or maybe almond or coconut milk. Thanks!

Lisa Reply:

Same question here… Is just Almond/hemp/coconut milk and water ok taisting? also I saw the add for chocolate 2 table sppons in earlier questions but how much extra stevia?

Michelle     at 6:54 am

I’m new to the whole protein shake world..so bare with me..I currently drink Body Vi- Visalus shake and GNC Lean Shake (premade). How does your FB Blend compare? It seems that yours wouldn’t taste as fruity and it looks different. I’m very interested in making them but don’t want to waste money on them if they don’t taste good. I drink one in the morning for breakfast and one after I workout then I have a meal at supper time! Thanks in advance!

I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about those other shakes. :/ Ours is great that you can add whatever fruits and mix-ins that you like!

kate     at 3:04 pm

I’m sitting here right now drinking my first glass of this stuff (minus the pb2 – still waiting for that to be delivered) and I must say it doesn’t taste bad at all.

I saw you posted this a few years ago and was wondering if the recipe has changed at all/if you still drink it. I’m going to try it for a month and see how it goes. Love vega, but it just cost too much.

Thanks for the recommendation for nuts online. They were great and so fast!

kathy     at 7:05 pm

I’ve been an avid fan of your website for several months and have made so many of your recipes that I couldn’t keep count. BTW…I have loved every one !! Well I took the plunge, ordered the ingredience for your protien drink and drank my first glass this AM. Amazing how such an ugly sight can taste soooo good :) I look forward to tomorrow for another drink as I drive to work. Thanks for all your suggestions, you have been a life saver!

I’m so glad to hear it! We love those smoothies. :)

Tiffany     at 2:55 pm

Ive been trying to find a recipe for homemade protein powder to submit to the Beyond Diet website…this one seems perfect so I wanted to ask if it would be alright if I submitted it?! Feel free to email me back. Thanks and what a great recipe..

Randel Joseph     at 8:50 pm

If i had protein powder at home,why would i want to make it???? :/

This is a protein powder blend that is much less expensive than the store bought brands.

April B     at 10:14 am

great design

sent from my ipod

Barbara     at 8:51 am

Thanks I am so tired to spend so much money and still do not feel I get the best this recipe is great thanks at lot Barbara

Meuy     at 8:36 am

I just came across your post and love all the details. I am wondering if this blend is safe to drink while breastfeeding. Thanks!

Charlie     at 7:05 pm

Hey I was searching around for something like this and am absolutely blown away by your formula here haha (thank you)
One question though, I checked out nuts portions for each of the ingredients and was wondering how you came up with the portions?

Danielle     at 11:46 am

I think I have the same question as Charlie. I’m really curious about the nutrition information. I see you worked out the calories, fat, etc but I’m wondering the grams of Spirulina, Chlorella, how many omega 3s, fiber, etc. Just curious! LOVE the recipe though, and I’m actually using it to replace my new Vega habit– thanks a bunch, SO great!

Sephina     at 11:55 am

Hi Emily! Hopefully you can help me out! I am new to smoothies AND to protein powders. I just made your protein powder. Or a version of it. I was able to find the ingredients locally, rather than ordering from nutsonline, so the flavor may vary a bit. It really is delicious!!! I made the smoothie you recommended, but I examined the photos to know how much fruit to use. My questions are: how many cups frozen fruit did you use? (It said one cup, but it looks like more in the pic???) And, do you drink the entire recipe? It seems like a lot, but I want to be sure I am getting the benefit from the protein mix.

Hmm it’s been a while, but we probably use 1-2 cups plus bananas when we made the smoothies. We split the batch, so I’d say it makes two generous servings. Glad you like the mix!

Sephina Reply:

Thank you for replying! Yes, the mix is great! But your reply got me curious (“hmm it’s been awhile”)…are you not doing homeade protein powder smoothies for breakfast any longer? If not, have you found something you would recommend to fellow vegans/vegetarians?

No sorry. I still drink them! Just meant it’s been a while since I wrote that specific post! :)

Kevin     at 2:18 pm

How does this compare, nutrition wise and such with amazing grass? I currently mix hemp protein with Emerald Balance (I switch between Emerald balance and Amazing Greens).

Teena     at 7:41 am

I just ran across your blog and was delighted to find your recipe for protein powder mix. I’m surprised that I can’t find that many websites for recipes for protein mixes when they are so easy to do. I started an exercise prgram last year and wanted to add a protein mix to give me more protein in the day but for someone who cannot have anything dairy it’s hard to find. My favourite was the Vega Chai one and I was wondering if I can adjust your recipe to make it like the Vega Chai. I’ll have to eliminate the PBP as I don’t eat peanuts either but do enjoy other nuts. Have you come up with any recipes with the Chai flavour? Thanks.

Nina Reply:

I would just add powdered chai herbs. Look up a chai recipe, its basic recipe is just cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and ginger. You can fancy it up with other herbs if you want, but chai is really easy and customizable.

Stephanie     at 9:26 pm

Have you tried adding something minimal (water or almond milk) to your protein dry mix? And if so, how did it taste? Thanks!!!

shawn     at 6:14 am

wow i love this. I am a body builder is there anyway to make the protein to were it would be 50grams per shake….????

Jimmy     at 1:08 pm

This is awesome so much healthier for you then all the crap out on the market.

leslie     at 8:25 am

I just found your protein powder mix to make. I am excited to try this. THank you!

Hope you like it!

Konnie     at 7:36 am

I’m with the other posters! Thank you sooo much! I would be interested in a pea protein blend, and actually was looking for how to make your own pea protein when I stumbled onto your blog. The hemp and pea sound like a good combo to me, while omitting the PB to reduce the fat content. What do you think?

I think that sounds like a great idea!

Lara     at 8:22 am

Hi Emily – long time reader first time commenter – absolutely love you, your blog and your family – awesome. I am looking into making my own protein powder and remembered you did a post on it and found it! just curious what is the texture like – im ok with flavor but im weird with textures – is it gritty? ive heard hemp protein can be gritty – i love hemp seeds but have never tried the powder and i dont like amazing greens because it never disolves for me – so just curious
thanks

Hmm I dont think it’s gritty in the smoothie – blends up really well for us!

kathie     at 8:20 am

Once you make the smoothie how soon should you drink it? I like to have protein drinks for breakfast and lunch and have been using pre-packaged drinks, which are expensive. I would love to make my own mix. Can I mix them ahead of time, refrigerate them, and drink later?

NannyMiMi     at 6:45 am

Emily,

I am momma to eight people so far. Five of them are strapping young men and while the oldest has moved out we still have four big boys wanting to up their protein every chance they get.

Please tell me approximate number of grams of protein per 1/4 cup of this powder.

They will eat it if I make it IF it has enough protein to merit the trouble.

I, too, love the blend of needed ingredients but would also like to know how much protein I am packing in for the day.

Thanks!

NannyMiMi

Dana     at 10:10 am

One reason I want to do this is because although I love some of the protein powders I’ve been using for smoothies, they come in these huge plastic tubs. I think of all those tubs I’ve used never degrading, and all those bits of plastic in the ocean. I have to do something else so I reduce my use of these. Thanks for these ideas!

Great point!

Half-Crazed Runner     at 5:12 am

I was just web surfing on how to make my own protein powder. This is great, thanks!

S     at 10:25 am

Hi,
I am getting ready to make this blend(minus the PB2 powder) – ordered all ingredients.
I was wondering if this blend would taste good in a smoothie with just fruits and water (don’t like bananas and any kinds of milk or yogurt in my smooties). Anyone tried this – thoughts anyone?

Richard Platts     at 4:54 am

This is just fantastic…………….i love the smoothie ingredients and the lovely woman serving it all…………how can i fail to be healthy now! ….yummy

Chris     at 11:06 am

Is the hemp protein powder simply Hemp Hearts (hemp seeds) ground down into a powder or do they add something else? I ask as i can get a 1.5lb bag of hemp heart for under $14.00 and a two pound bottle of hemp protein powder is $50+.
If they are not the same, could you simply grind the hemp hearts into a powder and use this for a close substitute? I can not eat peanuts. Would grinding a cup of almonds into powder be a close replacement?
I eagerly await a response as I am excited to make this.

Dani     at 7:04 am

This might be an incredibly dumb question, but does the powdered peanut butter give it a peanut butter-y taste?

Erik     at 6:06 am

What a wonderful post thank you so much for doing it! I was wondering though, how does one figure out the approx. amount of the powder that one needs? Like you said for yours it is a 1/4 of a cup, how did you come by that measurement?

Taralynn     at 9:49 am

Question, how does it mix? Could i mix it with coconut milk? and also how does taste, Its really hard for me to drink the Vega… but I’m dairy/gluten free and finding a healthy protein powder that supplements me is very difficult without breaking the bank!

Ketan Patel     at 6:17 pm

I am looking for protein powder which gives 90% calories from protein. How do you calculate it?

Thank you!

Hailey     at 7:16 pm

Have you ever tried adding chia powder?!

Hailey     at 10:51 am

Have you tried adding chia powder?

Brian     at 5:51 am

I started working out last February with the Couch-2-5K program. I started because when bending over to tie my shoes, I couldn’t breathe. I continue to run and have started cross-training. My two boys and I did our first 4 mile mud run right before Thanksgiving. We are now trying to tweak out what we eat, so I want to replace my breakfast with this but have a few questions. First, is it really necessary to purchase all these powders organic? I understand buying organic foods, but I’ve noticed ‘organic’ turning into a marketing frenzy. I’m not familiar with any of these healthy products and curious if it’s really worth it or not? Also, I noticed on nuts.com, flaxseed has an option of being golden…is this what I’m supposed to get? You posted this a couple years ago, knowing that, is there anything different to your protein smoothie you’ve added or deleted since the original post?

You don’t have to post this or your answer online…I know the organic question might start a war. I do thank you for your time and all your research. I’ll have one shot with my family liking this and just don’t want to mess it up by purchasing the wrong thing. Thanks again.

Welcome, Brian! Sounds like you’ve had an awesome journey to health! To answer your questions, no I don’t think they have to be organic. The health benefits are the same either way. You can use golden flax, but we just use regular (brown) flax. They are very similar, so it shouldn’t make a big difference. Get the one with the better price! Honestly, several years later we still use this same blend. We don’t always use the peanut flour these days, but it doesn’t need it. I hope this helps!

sherri     at 4:43 pm

How many grams of protein is in a 1/4 cup ?

Tom     at 5:31 am

This is a great start, but I want to add more “daily recommended/required” vitamins, minerals or other good/exotic ingredients to it … for that all inclusive healthy morning shake. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Nina Reply:

Try adding some powdered herbs. I use nettles in mine! Another great powder mix out there is Rachel jeans green drink – add that to some hemp protein powder for a major nutrient boost :-)

Ray     at 8:28 pm

Hello, I recently found your website, and it is the hidden gem I’ve been looking for. I ordered all the ingredients, except for the Red Mill Hemp Protein, to make the protein shake you have described. Which leads me to my question, I am looking to add more muscle mass, IS THERE ANOTHER PROTEIN MIX, besides red mill hemp, THAT WILL ADD MORE GRAMS PER SERVING OF PROTEIN TO THIS SHAKE?? (or if you recommend a different serving size for the protein base)

Before you answer, a little background. I’m 6’0″, 176 lbs. It is extremely difficult for me to gain weight. I eat approximately 3,500 to 4,000 calories daily. My problem lies in my workouts. I love to do cardio and circuit training. It’s a culture for me. I don’t want to be a meat head(body builder), but with my height, I want to add 10 lbs. I am extremely satisfied with my figure, but this is a personal goal I have been never able to accomplish. Any response will be greatly appreciated.

No, I will not stop doing cardio, and my sleep cycle consists of 6 to 8 hrs daily. My red and white meat diet accounts for 10 to 15% to my diet on a monthly basis. Mostly chicken and tuna. I don’t like red meat as much.

JAN SPILLMAN     at 12:07 pm

Wow! I just recently started a 98% plant based, whole food diet. I’ve had some serious health and digestive problems over the past few years due to side-effects of some of the medications I’ve had to take. In fact, it got so bad that I wasn’t absorbing my nutrients, at all, and the doctor I saw suggested a liquid diet and baby food. I couldn’t do it. I started researching, but, took my time. In the meantime, the medications were wreaking havoc on my digestive system, etc. One of these medicines I may be able to stop taking within a few months. That will help. In the meantime, I was sold on the Nutribullet by Magic Bullet. In the NutriBullet blog, they explain the differece between the NutriBullet and the Magic Bullet. They compare it against other food processers and blenders and it is an absolutely amazing product that has literally saved my life! I am going to have to get some more ingredients so I can make your protien powder. In the meantime, I’m able to absorb more nutrients after they’ve been blasted in this product where the blades break down foods, like grapes, pulverizing seeds, stems and everything to a liquified form. I use maca powder, chia seeds, flax seeds, etc, in nearly every smoothie. Yes, they make nutriblasts, but I put either banana or avocado in every smoothie for the thickness. I use fresh or frozen fruit. Although the Nutribullet people haven’t mentioned Agave in any of their recipes, I use agave or raw honey in most for the sweetness. I started with spinach and romaine green leaf lettuce for my 50% veggies. Now I’m using a lot of Kale. Maca powder is a must:-) I still think I’m using more fruit than vegetable but I try to use blueberries in every one. Do you know where I can get acai berries other than buying the juice of concentrates? I have some Acai vitamin chews, but I can’t put those in a smoothie, lol!

Joni Nibbelink     at 7:11 pm

I absolutely love this protein powder!!! I have so much more energy. Thanks for this recipe and the hook up to Nuts.com. My healthfood store didn’t have most of what I needed so I just ordered it!

Meredith     at 6:23 am

you are really a just right webmaster. The site loading velocity is incredible.

It kind of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve performed a fantastic process on this
matter!

Janna     at 7:41 am

I ordered all my ingredients online and got them in the mail last night. This morning I mixed up my first batch of powder and momma mia!!!! I love it!!!! I have been making smoothies for quite a while, but would just add some hemp, chia or flax and a handful of almonds or pecans. But this combination is really wonderful. Love the maca powder!!!! Thanks for sharing.
Janna

Tonya     at 4:46 am

I usually mix my protein powder with almond milk and leave it at that, especially after a workout. Do you have any suggestions for simple flavoring. Can I just add some cocoa or something and have it taste like chocolate?

Cocoa powder would definitely help!

Lucky! | A Handful of Spinach     at 5:02 pm

[...] reading healthy living blogs for a few years and one of my favorites is Daily Garnish.  I read this post ages ago and have wanted to make our own mix ever [...]

Chakira     at 4:16 pm

I saw some people asking about a replacement for the peanut butter. I made some almond milk & saved the almond mush after separating it in a masticating juicer. I put in the freezer. I thawed it, let it dry & that’s what I used instead of the PB2. I did this, not because I don’t like peanut butter, but because that’s what I actually had on hand without having to figure out who sold it in stores, & if not order it online & wait for it to ship. It tastes fine to me & have no qualms with it. I add cocoa powder when I’m ready to blend with other ingredients. Thanks for this posting, btw.

joel     at 8:16 am

how many litre is one cup??

sandor     at 10:08 am

simply amazing and with stevia probably tastes good too

Eric Meyer     at 2:38 pm

HAHA…. I was thinking how easy this was to put together. Nice post. I’ll be trying this out.

Kljutsh     at 1:54 pm

Thanks for this post, it’s excellent! I tried it out today and am very very very happy with the results and will add this great protein mix to my post-workout eating. Heaps of thanks! One of the best nutrition topic blog posts read in a very long time!

JubaLee     at 10:47 pm

Sounds great! I can’t wait to make my own. Thank you for posting this!! UMMMM Quick Question. What are the total grams of protein per serving?

jobs cruise ships     at 9:18 pm

magnificent points altogether, you just won a emblem new reader.
What could you suggest about your publish that you just made a few
days in the past? Any certain?

Eric     at 5:12 pm

Worst tasting protein powder ever.

Ron     at 10:53 pm

Hey thanks for this post…Its an eye opener for me….you have given great knowledge about protein powder which can be made in home also….

Rachel     at 8:02 pm

Hello. This recipes sounds amazing! I am actually looking to put this together for a friend who is doing her residency right now. She barely has time to eat and sleep! Would this be palatable if you just added it to almond milk?

Thanks!

Ray     at 9:38 am

Wow, this is dedication! I’ve heard good stuff about the Bob’s Red Mill brand, but mostly in the soy protein powder field. Maybe I should give hemp a try; it’s the few plant proteins that’s complete, right?

Elizabeth     at 2:22 pm

I am ordering all of the ingredients for the protein powder. I can only get them in 1 lb. amounts. How do I store the extras until I use them?

starla     at 1:55 pm

Have been looking at protein powders and decided to make my own and ran across your blog. Love it. Couldn’t wait to make it. Have lost 10 lbs in 9 days and am feeling great. Thanks!!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Smoothie Baby.     at 2:58 pm

[...] had a major pregnancy aversion to the powdery taste).  Side note: for those interested in making their own protein powder blend, check out this [...]

Anita     at 1:34 am

Hi there,

Thank you so much for this AMAZING recipe/tutorial!! :))

Has anyone tried substituting the cinnamon with another spice (I’m ‘allergic’ to cinnamon)? I was thinking of perhaps using ground ginger instead. Any thoughts? :)

sarah     at 8:13 pm

I love the idea of making your own powder, as I hate all the added ingredients of store-bought powders. But just to inform you, PB2 is not healthy. It has added sugar in it and is very processed. For putting so many other healthy and nutritious ingredients in this, I was very surprised you put PB2 in it. Maybe try protein peanut flour next time?

Protein powder – good or bad? | Lil Runner     at 1:00 pm

[...] This one looked great over at Daily Garnish but you do need a protein powder base which kind of kills the point. It’s still cheaper than buying it though! [...]

Bea     at 5:47 pm

I can’t wait to try this, I am bookmarking the site so I can buy all these ingredients. I have a problem when I buy protein powders. I am lactose intolerant and don’t want the cramping involved with whey protein. Also I have a tree nut allergy so when I see a protein powder that has coconut or almonds I have to put it back. I will be making this soon!

Megan     at 5:18 pm

I am allergic to tree nuts such as walnuts, almonds, pecans etc. Do you know if any of those are used in this recipe. I am okay with peanuts but none of the others unfortunately.

Elizabeth     at 6:01 pm

How well does this mix with just water or just almond milk? Just a lot of constant stirring to get it afloat?

Lee Graves     at 5:11 pm

That sounds delicious. PB2 makes everything better, doesn’t it?

Deanna     at 6:29 pm

Are you still using this same recipe or have you found another version you like better or just another option? I’m going to make this SOON!!!

Monica     at 11:40 am

WOW! Thank you so much! Let’s just say times are slightly challenging right now $$.. I’m not a big meat-eater or strict vegan.. but, I know I have to/and want to up my protein intake.. I’m very particular about “ingredients” due to allergies.. The protein powders I can take (safely) are $45-$60 monthly and up and only last two weeks.. (organic, non-gmo, no chemical fillers, or artificial sweeteners/flavors..I don’t buy packaged because of this, so I make practically everything from scratch). I just want to say a big THANK YOU for enlightening me on making my own Protein Powder!

supriya     at 5:58 am

Hello,
The protein powder looks good .Where can we buy ingredients ?
Please advise

Sudhir     at 9:28 am

Hi Emily, please check your junk mail, I had a question about this concoction! I don’t get PB2 up here in Canada, and was wondering what would be a good replacement for it! Thanks!

NancyLee     at 6:40 am

How long can this mix be stored? I’ve read that flax seed, once ground gets rancid pretty quickly. Has anyone tried chia seed?

You know this recipe stood out for me because I found it a couple of months ago – forgot to save it to my favorites – thought of it again this morning – googled it and there it was!!

Will put you on my Feedly now!

We have stored it for months with no issues!

Jessica     at 8:35 am

Sounds good but what do you suggest to replace the PB2 for those of us that are allergic to Peanut Butter?

Cher     at 12:15 am

Hi…New to protein powder, smoothies & blogs!
Can you tell me the # of mg’s of Sodium and g’s of Sugar in each 1/4 cup serving? I’d like to try this as it’s vegan…NO Cholesterol!…but I have a “spreadsheet of restrictions” (also new to me)and am making myself crazy on a daily basis trying to get as close to all these numbers as I can w/o going over them! Thanks in advance for your help….Also, any ideas on how to get the protein UP and all the other #’s down would be very much appreciated!!!

Patti     at 5:36 am

so forgive my ignorance (I’m new to all this), but why can’t you just add the Red Mill Protein Powder and call it a day? Obviously everything you put in is great, but I’m curious if the protein powder alone isn’t sufficient. Thanks!

Kylia Hassett     at 10:02 am

Could you substitute organic soy protein powder gluten free instead of hemp protein powder? My husband is in the military and he isn’t allowed to consume hemp even in lotions due to random urine testing. I want to make this recipe blend but want everyone in the family to be able to partake. Any suggestions on a sub for them hemp protein powder?

Erin M     at 11:12 pm

I have a question.. multi-faceted.

Ok so I read through all the ingredients.. am allergic to peanuts, so omitting the PB2 and going with an extra scoop of hemp. got it!

And then turning it into chocolate.. kinda got it!

What my question is.. is can i drink this alone? Just mixed with water? Or is it better as a smoothie? I am doing clean eating and want a smoothie I can drink post-workout.. should i do protein powder + water or protein powder + smoothie?

I just need something with a kick of protein to help muscle recovery! You were talking about the Thrive diet for athletes so I figure you might know what I’m talking about!

Sorry for the confusing question… I’m just new to this whole protein thing in general so I’m trying to figure it out! I WOULD just buy it.. but it’s sooo freaking expensive ;(

ED     at 5:59 pm

If I followed your guide…I would add more things..Amino acids, glutamine, and white eggs powder.

Renee Mueller     at 10:30 am

Thank You so much! I just bought all the stuff and wanted to repay you by telling you it was WAY cheaper at iherb.com (where I shop all the time) If you use my code LUF833 you can get a discount. I promise I am just a customer!!! Thanks again!

Miriam G     at 10:34 pm

Bobs Red Mill website is out of stock of the Hemp Protein Powder. If anyone knows where else i can purchase this item please let me know. I have been looking for a protein powder recipe for a while now and this is just perfect. I dont want to miss out on all of its great benefits. HELP. :) thank you!

Amanda Reply:

Any health food store should have it, or grocery store with a gluten free/organic/health section might. Whole Foods, Wegmans, Big Bear, even Shoprite. Last resort, Amazon.com should have it!

Kat P.B.     at 5:44 pm

Yum, this looks sooooo good!! I can’t wait to try it! Just wondering though, do you have any ideas as to what I can substitute the PB2 with? I like peanut butter, but not in smoothies. I’m just weird like that :/

Orange County Bail Bondsman     at 4:16 pm

In a report completed by bail bonds NJ most of the time the person inflicting the abuse on another is emotionally unstable and therefore needs some kind of help as well as the person who is
being abused. Answer: Bail bonds companies are businesses,
and a business relies (mostly) on one thing: money. Also, a pay phone is the only phone available, so collect calls are the only option for inmates.

http://storify.com/eminentgat810/the-ideal-most-comprehensive-list-of-recommendatio     at 2:27 am

Very good article. I definitely appreciate this site.
Keep it up!

alex     at 8:56 am

Very good post. Protein is getting expensive. Nowadays it costs over 50 bucks for a tub of protein which only lasts me for a month. I’m going to try your combination and add egg white protein to the mix.

Shaili     at 8:27 am

Question — How many servings does the 1/4 cup powder result in?

I usually use the magic bullet and dump the powder into it – but 1/4 cup of powder per glass seems like a lot?

Thanks!

5 health foods that are GOOD for you | oh.she.cooks     at 1:20 pm

[...] been great until it was processed to death. Instead, check out DailyGarnish.com to see How To Make Your Own Protein Powder Mix. The article explains each ingredient, one by one. Don’t want to mess with making a mix? Try [...]

Cheri     at 9:32 am

This is a great protein powder recipe, although I would substitute raw peanut butter, or other nut butters, rather than the powdered PB 2 item, on your list, which is extremely expensive. $15.95 for 6 ounces.

jessi     at 12:20 pm

I couldn’t get through all the comments but I was wondering if it mixes ok in almond milk or if it is too heavy like the rice and oat recipes I’ve seen.

Amanda     at 8:48 pm

Could you grow these plants yourself? That would be super cost efficient! I have a question about the Maca powder also. I’m reading it makes people sick and shouldn’t be eaten raw. I’d like to hear your input, I’m new to this stuff and the research is a lot to take in, hearing a lot of mixed things.