A Girl and Her Rice Cooker: A Love Story.

If you’ve read this blog for any amount of time, you’re probably already familiar with my slight obsession with my rice cooker.

IMG_9462 (480x640) (2)

But I’ve never really shared exactly WHY this little 5 pound appliance of love has made its way into my culinary heart, and I figure it’s about time I explain myself.  Away we go…

Why A Rice Cooker is Helpful

When I told my culinary school classmates and teachers that I was head over heels for my rice cooker, they all scoffed and waved me off like I was somehow cheating at cooking.  But let me tell you, using a rice cooker is NOT cheating – it allows you to do soooo much more with your meals!

Things like grains, beans, and lentils can be very temperamental to cook on the stovetop.  Don’t cook them long enough, and you have hard, chewy kernels or excess water needing to be drained.  But cook them just a few minutes too long and you have a pile of mush, or a black layer of rocks cooked to the bottom of your pan.  Enter the rice cooker – an absolutely fool proof way to cook just about anything.

All you literally do is add whatever it is you’re cooking, top it off with the appropriate amount of water (ratios found in the owner’s manual), and press GO.  It even SINGS to you when it starts and finishes!  And while your rice/quinoa/lentils are cooking, you can be busy at the stovetop or cutting board, getting the rest of your meal ready, and not worrying about burning your grains.

Another HUGE perk of the rice cooker is the timer function.  You can set your grains up with water, enter the time you want them to be ready, and walk out the door to work.  When you get home, the “keep warm” function will ensure that you have delicious fluffy grains waiting for you – all ready to go!  This function also works for overnight preparations.  I set mine up with steel cuts oats almost every night, and in the morning I have hot, delicious oatmeal ready to be dished out and topped with goodies.

How to Use the Rice Cooker

Like I said, it’s basically a series of measure, dump, cook.  Easy as that.  Now there are quite a bit of settings that come along with the machine, and you’ll need to pay attention to which settings to use for more specialty things like sushi rice (sushi) or steel cut oats (porridge).  But for the most part, anything can be cooked on the regular or quick cooking settings.

And when I say anything, I mean ANYTHING.  This bad boy is not just for vegetarians!  Think of it as a really high-tech slow cooker – you can do grains, beans, vegetables, slow-cooked meats – the works.  For learning more about how to use the rice cooker to it’s full potential, I highly recommend purchasing The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook – only $12 and full of invaluable information and recipes.

On the quick cooking setting, your grains will go from this…

To this…

…in about 30 minutes.  Just enough time to get the rest of your dinner ready, candles lit, and the table set.  Once the grains are cooked, cleaning this appliance is a piece of cake.  The only piece that really needs to be rinsed is the non-stick bowl that removes from the inside.  No burnt pans to scrape and scour!

So Which One Should I Buy?

I’ll admit, I am pretty brand biased here.  I am sure there are other models out there, but from my experience Zojirushi wins the crown, and I’m only going to talk about the models that I have personally used myself.  The model that I currently abuse at my house is the Zojirushi 5.5 Cup Rice Cooker and Warmer with Induction Heating System

IMG_9468 (480x640) (2)

Now while I absolutely LOVE this machine, I am the first to admit, it is a little pricey, coming in at around $260.  I got mine as a gift from my foodie mother in law (thank you, Tina!).  BUT – here is the big but – I use my rice cooker every single day, if not more than once a day, so I more than get my money’s worth.  I would tell any bride to register for this instead of the over-hyped and rarely used KitchenAid Stand Mixer.  Unless you are a hardcore baker, I guarantee you will use this more.  But for those of you who can’t imagine plunking down a car payment for a rice cooker, you are in luck – there is another option!

When I first started working at the farm, my boss asked me “is there anything we don’t
have that you think we need here in the kitchen?”  My response was immediate “Duh – a rice cooker and a Vitamix!”  One week later, I had both!  But since I wasn’t sure how much she wanted to spend, I did my research and found a very similar, yet more budget-friendly model – the Zojirushi 5.5 Cup Rice Cooker and Warmer, coming in at just $135.

There aren’t quite as many specialty settings, but to be honest I don’t use those all that often.  The main difference is that it is missing the induction heating system, which is wonderful, but not entirely necessary.  It is the same size, and has most of the same funcionality.  I used this rice cooker all summer at the farm, and never over or under cooked a single thing.

This is probably also a good time for me to point out that, if you haven’t notice, I’ve opened up an Amazon Store!  I get emails every day from readers asking where I got my rice cooker, running shorts, food processor, olive oil mister – the list goes on.  After endless emails and referrals, I figured it was high time I made the info easy and accessible to everyone.

The store only contains products I use and have myself.  There probably won’t be any big promotions to tell you about, or fancy coupon codes – just what I use, and where I get it from.  In my opinion, Amazon typically has the best prices on the market, so I figured placing my store there only made sense.

After all, you have a rice cooker to save up for, right?  :)

Meg     at 12:04 pm

My husband and I eschewed the KitchenAid and registered for the Zojirushi rice cooker. I had seen it on your blog and knew I wanted something that could cook brown rice. Can’t wait to use it use once we’ve finished moving! Thanks for the recommendation, and this post. You’ve got me excited. Have to buy that cookbook!

suki     at 12:05 pm

:) Yes, the rice cooker is an essential! I grew up with one and couldn’t imagine living without one, even though I haven’t been cooking very much these days.

For those who want to be able to use it longer, using it a few times a week, but preparing in bulk is a good idea. Meaning, make quinoa or brown rice for several days instead of one step at a time. It’s great though, one less thing to worry about when you’re doing everything else in the kitchen.

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 12:08 pm

I am so glad that you posted about this. I’ve been waiting for a rice cooker post! After a very frustrating 8-hour debacle with black beans last week – that ended with a ruined pot and no beans to eat – I am ready to buy one! Thanks for including the “economy” version!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have never burnt a single thing in the rice cooker – it has something called “fuzzy logic” that determines when there is no more moisture, so that things won’t burn!

Jessica     at 12:11 pm

I first came across using a ricecooker on your blog. I was very intrigued so I went out and bought one. Not an expensive one because I’m the only person in my house that will eat rice lol. I think it was only 19.99 but it does its job. The first time I made brown rice in it I was hooked. So much better then the stovetop!

Emily @ Run Emily Run     at 12:11 pm

Now I want a rice cooker! I need to get a bigger kitchen for all my appliances.

Dorry     at 12:17 pm

Your blog inspired me to register for a rice cooker! We have a wedding shower this weekend – I hope we get it. :)

Becky     at 12:24 pm

I have a serious crush on your rice cooker. Is that so wrong? ;) One question, though. On the economy version, would you still be able to cook oatmeal and such in it (easily)? I seem to remember in your oatmeal days you’d set it up to cook overnight. Just wondered if that was only on the “enhanced” version or if the cheaper one would do it well. Thanks! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

hey becky! not wrong at all :) the economy version has the PORRIDGE setting, which is what you use to cook the steel cut oats – should work just fine! :)

Lauren     at 12:36 pm

Funny story…a few Christmas’ ago, we both got each other this rice cooker for Christmas. The look on our faces when we opened each others presents was priceless. Ha. But atleast now I have two?

But seriously, this rice cooker is amazing! All of our friends are jealous!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

All my friends are jealous of mine too. :) It is my most coveted appliance!

Faith     at 12:51 pm

I been seriously contemplating purchasing a rice cooker since reading your blog, but while I was doing some research, I came across the idea that “electric rice cookers are not real rice cookers–you need a stove top rice cooker for the real deal.”

Have you ever used a stove top cooker? I’m guessing that the convenience of the electric probably outweighs whatever this other type does, but what do you think?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hmm I’m not sure what “real” rice cooker means. The final product is cooked rice, so that’s all that really matters, right? I haven’t seen a rice cooker that goes on the stove top – kind of like a pressure cooker? I also think heat control would be much more effective electronically than on a stove top.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking     at 12:56 pm

I use my stand mixer alll the time, but I’m pretty sure I’m one of those crazy bakers you mentioned ;)

This does look so convenient and lovely. If I ate more grains, I’d have to buy one!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut     at 1:17 pm

My boyfriend use to eat white rice all the time and he has switched to brown rice. The rice cooker helped the transition and made it easier because the brown rice tasted really good using the rice cooker too. Much better than stove top.

Jean     at 1:24 pm

I also own a rice cooker but it’s not as fancy as yours. It’s one of those automatic travel sized ones where you can’t control the time/temperature, and shuts off on its own. I love it though and cook meat, rice, beans, and anything I want in it and it always comes out perfect!

Eunice     at 1:29 pm

I love rice cookers! If only I had one!

When I lived with my parents, my mom always had a rice cooker. I didn’t even know how to make rice the old-fashioned way. The one she has now came all the way from Japan. We have family there and my mother made my poor aunt lug it over a 15 hour flight. Haha. It’s a really good rice cooker!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

These are from Japan too – I think that’s why they are so good!

JL Goes Vegan     at 1:34 pm

This is such a great and helpful post! I want a rice cooker (especially for the lentils and quinoa!)

Rachel @ FitFunandFabulous     at 2:05 pm

AND now I officially want a rice cooker.

GET ONE. :)

stacey     at 2:06 pm

I just bought the less expensive model. I have been wondering about your rice cooker for a while. You grains always look so good when you post pics. I gave up on trying to cook grains and have resorted to buying frozen brown rice at Trader Joe’s, which is pretty expensive when compared to the cost of dry rice. I can’t wait to get the rice cooker! Now I can cook all the quinoa and rice that has been sitting in my pantry waiting to be used!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Omg you will NOT regret it! The packaged stuff adds up so quickly – you will more than make up for the cost of the rice cooker in no time, and bulk grains are SO cheap!

stacey Reply:

I got my rice cooker last week and used it for the first time last night to make quinoa. Wow! It was so good. I am so happy that I bought the rice cooker and I know that I will be using it often.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I am so happy that YOU are so happy that you bought a rice cooker!

Evan Thomas     at 3:02 pm

You make me want a rice cooker really bad. Christmas is only–what–4 months away? I think I’ll be asking for an early present :-)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Evan, I WISH I had one of these in college. You can literally cook your whole dinner in it – so convenient.

Ginna     at 3:17 pm

Fellow readers…I have the second zojirushi that Emily mentioned, also a wonderful gift from my MIL and I love it! I did not know you had the even fancier one Emily!

It works great and I cook oatmeal and all sorts of grains in there with little clean up and in quick time!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yay – so glad you like it, Ginna! :)

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 3:46 pm

I never cook my rice on the stove now that I have rice cooker. But.. I never use it for anything other than rice. I need to start. Mine is very simple – two buttons of warm and cook. I like how yours is more specialized

Molly     at 3:59 pm

Wow! I never knew there were so many uses for a rice cooker! My family only uses it to cook – rice. But you’re right, it always cooks the rice perfectly and also keeps it warm!

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 4:06 pm

So I’ve known for a long time that I wanted a rice cooker. When I lost 75 lbs the husband and my dad decided to get me a fabulous reward and let me choose it. I went for the Garmin Forerunner over rice cooker. It’s not that I regret it, but with my back issues I’ve not been able to use my Garmin much, and I KNOW I’d use the heck out of a rice cooker. I’m hoping I can sweet talk them into another big reward when I lose 100 lbs (just about ten more to go WOOT), and my eye is on a rice cooker. Special thanks for posting a review of a more budget friendly model!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Garmins are great too! 100 pounds is a HUGE accomplishment – definitely deserving of a big reward.

WithaSideofHope     at 4:19 pm

Wow! I never knew that you could do so much with a rice cooker! I really need to get one of those. It looks like it saves so much time and you can get so much use out of it. I am starting to run out of counter space because of all these awesome gadgets! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha the good thing is they aren’t THAT big.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 4:39 pm

Okay – you convinced me. It will be the first thing I put on my registry when I get married someday. Even though cooking rice is easy, it’s actually a huge annoyance of mine!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 4:57 pm

yeah i’m one of the crazies who uses her stand mixer all the time. i love it and would be so so sad if i didn’t have my kitchenaid! but confession time… i didn’t get it as a wedding gift. my grandparents moved to assisted living a few years ago and i inherited my grandma’s… it’s a few years old *ancient* and just plain white but it works & it was free! maybe one day i’ll get a rice cooker too. my husband would love that as rice is his favorite food ever!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ours is really old and plain white too :) Totally ancient, but works just like it’s new!

Marci     at 5:25 pm

You use it everyday? What do you cook in it every single day?!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I make steel cut oats in the morning, and a grain for dinner on most days.

jamie @ jamelafamela     at 5:34 pm

I NEED to get me a rice cooker STAT! I loved this post you’re such a great writer!

Wow – thanks!! :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 5:58 pm

I think they are a great time saver! Although mine is just a rice version – I must look into one that has other functions!

Heather     at 6:21 pm

very informative, I had no idea!

Chelsey     at 6:23 pm

I’ve never considered a rice cooker, but I probably should!

Renae     at 7:11 pm

This is so helpful! I’ve been thinking about a rice cooker for awhile now… Thanks for all the info!

Annie (Delicious Wellness)     at 7:20 pm

Ok, I just read the end of your post wrong and it made me laugh out loud. I read “food processor, olive oil, THE mister”. Oh geez..I’m glad you’re not selling your hubby via amazon! ;)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh gosh. Have to draw the line somewhere, right? :)

Jen     at 7:52 pm

Somehow you made me go from not caring about a rice cooker to desperately needing one within 5 minutes. Thanks ;)

Tracy Reply:

haha…same here! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha I will buy you one if you run an Ironman – deal? :)

Catherine     at 10:54 pm

A friend of my boyfriend and myself gave us a rice cooker he wasn’t using, and it is my new favorite appliance! It’s made making rice so much easier! I admit, I haven’t tried anything else in it yet, but that cookbook sounds awesome! :) Yay rice cookers!
Seriously, I can’t believe I went a whole 27 years of life without one.

Pure2Raw Twins     at 11:20 pm

I think you just made me want to go buy a rice cooker. :) Thanks for all the tips!

coco     at 7:12 am

My mom always tells me that a good rice cooker is the most important kitchen gadget and I should get one of these considering that i’m chinese and I should eat rice everyday. ;) This one sounds perfect…. I think I’m getting one when my husband comes… he does need to eat rice EVERYDAY! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It makes making rice SO easy!

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 7:39 am

Thanks for the review post! When I lived in my college house, two of my roommates had a rice cooker that we constantly stole from them, but only for white rice, and fun homemade sushi. I never thought about buying one until recently. I might have to rearrange my “big things to buy” list so that this one comes in closer to the top. Haha.

Mina     at 9:04 am

Hi Emily! Can you make single portions in this rice cooker – like only one serving of steel cut oats, or is it too big?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hey Mina – yes you CAN! Although I usually make several portions at a time, and then just keep the extra in the fridge to reheat later, just because it’s less stress on the rice cooker to use it less often. There is also a 3 cup model that might work better if you are regularly cooking for one.

Lora Reply:

I just got my new rice cooker today. It is the same model as yours. The directions state that the minimum amount of oats is 2 rice cups (which would be the same as 11/2 regular cups). I am afraid to try a smaller amount, but you say it works. I have to wonder why the instruction book has a minimum amount then?

Mina     at 9:06 am

also, how long does it take to make brown rice in a rice cooker? Can you set it up when you leave for work and have it ready when you get home?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

There is a brown rice setting that takes almost 2 hours, but you can also cook brown rice on the quick cook setting, which only takes 30 minutes. That is the BEST part, that I should have mentioned in the post – there is a timer function so you can set it, leave it, and come home to freshly cooked grains! They will “keep warm” for up to eight hours.

Andrea @ Thin Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries     at 10:32 am

I’ve been slowly, but surely compiling a lengthy list of all the kitchen appliances I need, and now this one will certainly be added! I eat an awful lot of rice, so it’s really quite shocking I don’t already have one! I never even thought of the fact that you can cook other things in a rice cooker! Thanks for the great info! :)

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner     at 10:40 am

Wow you make me really tempted to get a rice cooker. I’ll admit I never make much in a pot like cous cous or quinoia, but I see how this would now be foolproof. I wonder if I can find a cheapie one. I’ll have to check your store :) Love Amazon, it’s where I got my new food processor.

Krista (kristastes)     at 11:18 am

Thank you for this post! :) I have been meaning to pick up a rice cooker but am always skeptical of the cheap ones. If these can cook steel cut oats as well as you say, they are worth the investment in my opinion!

Chelsea     at 12:05 pm

Fantastic post! I would absolutely love a rice cooker. For some reason I cannot cook a big batch of brown rice without it coming out like oatmeal. Love your blog!

Andrea     at 12:26 pm

Oh no…now I need to add “Rice Cooker” to my ever growing want list. What a great idea. I love my slow cooker and I’ve been eating more grains and beans. Thanks for the great post.

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 12:44 pm

What are the benefits of the induction heating feature? Does it make things cook faster and/or use less energy?

I’ve been thinking about getting a pressure cooker for making grains and beans in less time. With the stove top method in a regular pan, I find it takes about 30-35 minutes to cook brown rice PLUS the time it takes the water to boil. I wonder how your rice cooker would compare to a pressure cooker on cutting down the total time here.

Samantha     at 12:50 pm

Seriously. I wish I could afford the Zojirushi, but alas, I cannot. I have a cheapo rice cooker, purhcased for $29 from Target and I adore it. No fancy anything, only a ‘cook’ and a ‘warm’ button, and I honestly only cook rice in it, but it is so great! I used to HAAATE cooking rice, but now it’s such a dream. Measure, dump, walk away. ahh.

Marie     at 1:00 pm

I’ve been waiting for this post! We’ve had a couple of cheap rice cookers over the years and even a more expensive one we got for our wedding and they all broke somehow. My husband has been just cooking it on the stove-top the past couple of years. We used to only cook jasmine rice but now that we eat brown rice and are starting to get into more grains, like quinoa, barley, and the like, I’d LOVE to get this. When we used to cook brown rice in the other cookers, it spewed a lot of water/steam out and made a mess on the counter and the pot…do you have a problem with this at all?

Thanks for the post! :)

skinnyrunner     at 1:20 pm

dang, i didn’t know rice cookers came that fancy looking! we have a really cheap old school looking one that has one button: the “on” button. i think i need a new one now…

Nic     at 2:34 pm

I have never thought about buying a rice maker until reading this post! Zojirushi should hire you! Thanks for the information!

Megan (Braise The Roof)     at 2:50 pm

Didn’t know you could essentially use a rice cooker like a slow cooker- good to know! :)

Becky     at 3:55 pm

This post just made me bust out the rice cooker that’s been stowed away for far too long. I feel like I’ve been missing out. Can’t wait to give a try!

jeff     at 7:49 am

Never said your rice cooker was cheating… Funny about the timing of this post – Jen and I were at Sur La Table last week and I pointed out the rice cooker on the shelf, told her we should think about getting one. Looks like that will be the next kitchen purchase (after my 7″ Chinese Chef’s Knife, of course).

Meagan     at 9:08 am

I wonder what would happen to.. oatmeal? in this!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oatmeal is one of the BEST things to make in it! I set mine up every nice with steel cut oats and set it to porridge, and then wake up to chewy, creamy delicious oats every morning. I’ve never tried rolled oats, but the steel cut are perfection.

MSWR     at 12:52 pm

A very simple and inexpensive rice cooker was one of the first kitchen appliances I ever owned. My dad gave it to me to take with me when I moved off to college! I used it in my dorm room!

When my husband and I moved in together, I got rid of it, b/c he convinced me that cooking rice on the stove was just as easy and we didn’t need it taking up space. SO WRONG. A few years later, he gave me a Sanyo fuzzy-logic rice cooker (http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-ECJ-HC55H-2-Cup-Micro-Computerized-Cooker/dp/B000X8RAZ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282754866&sr=8-4) as a replacement, and I love it! It’s maybe not as fancy as your Zojirushi, but it has a lot of the same settings. I’ve been meaning to try steel-cut oats in it for a while now, and I definitely want to try millet and quinoa soon. I’ve just been so enamored with how well it cooks brown rice that I haven’t tried anything else!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I love brown rice too. Definitely give the other grains a try though!

Roasted Roots and Pumpkin Spice     at 9:01 pm

[...] have burned anything with it.  I would definitely love a fancier version one day like the one that Emily mentions in her blog, but mine suits me fine for now and it was free from my mom.  Nothing can [...]

MSWR     at 5:42 pm

I just saw this on one of the local paper food blogs and thought of you:

Roger Ebert has an amazing story, and has recently published a rice cooker cookbook.

It’s the Age of the Rice Cooker, apparently!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

omg, thanks for sending! that’s awesome! my rice cooker is cooking as we speak… :)

Dan     at 11:27 am

I bought a rice cooker yesterday, and I made wild rice with a little coconut oil. Yummo! Big compliments from the girl AND I got another kitchen gadget. Thanks, Emily!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

YES! Awesome, Dan! Coconut oil rocks my world.

Cynthia (It All Changes)     at 4:27 pm

I love my rice cooker and have recently branched out to beans and lentils and quinoa. Now I must have that cook book. It was one of the best wedding presents we got even at the inexpensive price.

Joshua McElwee     at 4:20 pm

Emily, Thanks so much for this wonderful account of your rice cooker! I’ve been meaning to get one for such a long time. Any chance you’re familiar with film critic Roger Ebert? He just published a book on using rice cookers called ‘The Pot and how to us it.’

Can you help me out? I want to buy a cooker but have no clue where to find one. I’m in Kansas City and really don’t want to have to buy one online! Thanks so much.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I haven’t purchased that book yet, but I really want it! I know they sell the smallest Zojirushi model at Crate and Barrel, and there are lower-priced models at places like Target. Maybe check there?

Janknitz     at 3:24 am

I’m curious if it might be possible to make yogurt in a fuzzy logic rice cooker. The innoculated milk has to be kept at about 120 degrees for 8 hours or so.

Could the rice cooker be programmed to do that???

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have NO idea. But I’m kind of thinking no. You don’t really have specific temperature control.

Joy     at 11:08 pm

Zojirushi has a new rice cooker that is induction and a pressure feature. Have you (or has anyone) tried it? It is more expensive than either of the ones you have mentioned, but they say it cooks rice quicker and better than either of the others.

I am thinking about getting another one and don’t know if the new one is worth it.

Thanks.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ooohhh no, I didn’t know about it. Sadly, I’m not in the market for a new one, but if mine breaks we might consider that.

Lora Reply:

According to the manufacturer’s website you cannot use the pressurized induction cookers to make oats. That is why I decided against it on my purchase. You would pay more money for less versatility.

Jo     at 11:24 am

Hi Emily,

You describe the rice cooker as a high-tech slow cooker–could you please explain what makes it different from a conventional slow cooker, and if it has advantages over a slow cooker, what would you say they are?

Thanks!
BTW, your blog is great. Your energy and dedication are an inspiration.
–Jo

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

As far as cooking things like grains and beans, it takes MUCH less time than a slow cooker would. And because of the “fuzzy logic” technology, it “knows” when to stop cooking due to moisture and heat levels, where a slow cooker will just keep going and going and cook something until you turn it off.

s u s a n f i n e     at 11:50 pm

[...] various suggestions re gifts that might be nice. Speaking of, I’d love thoughts on this rice cooker! It’s a major investment and right now sits prominently in the top spot on my gift [...]

Merry Christmas! « kristen, sweetly     at 10:48 pm

[...] I got the rice cooker I asked Santa for (thanks to Emily!), [...]

Healthy Un-Fried Rice Recipe. | Daily Garnish     at 2:27 pm

[...] Prepare:  Start by preparing the brown rice.  No surprise here – I made mine in my rice cooker (seriously – get one).  If you are making it on the stovetop, add 1cup dry brown rice and 2 [...]

Jackie     at 6:51 pm

New to your blog, love it so far! I’m actually eating black bean cocoa quinoa right now :)

You have sold me on the zojirushi rice cookers! Question for you though, do you ever wish you had the 10 cup model? I like to entertain, but most of the time I am cooking for 1 or 2 people. Thanks!

No the 5.5 cup model is plenty big, even when I make big batches for parties or dinners. My mother in law has the 10 cup makes, and it’s a lot bigger on the countertop.

Jackie Reply:

Thanks for the reply! I ordered the 5.5 cup and I am so giddy. I love kitchen appliances!

My Favorite Cookbooks. | Daily Garnish     at 5:27 pm

[...] didn’t really think I’d get through this list without a rice cooker reference, did you?  Since I have already written an entire post about my love for said [...]

Dione     at 7:46 pm

I’ve wanted a Zojirushi for a long time to replace my cheap old Salton rice cooker. I’ve ordered the smallest model (3 cup) since I only cook one dry cup of rice at a time. My boyfriend had bought me a new rice cooker for Christmas…a Tiger brand…but it was a ten cup model and big enough for a huge family! I asked him if he could take it back so I could get the small Zoji and I felt bad but I really couldn’t use a rice cooker that big. He said he thought it was too big too, so I guess I shouldn’t feel too bad. I’m excited to cook my different grains, mixed rice and steel cut oats in it. It should be here next week:)

Thursday. | Daily Garnish     at 4:14 pm

[...] the alarm is really annoying me now.  And I know there is hot oatmeal waiting for me in the rice cooker.  Time to get this day [...]

Black Quinoa Blueberry Pudding | Daily Garnish     at 7:23 pm

[...] Just like you do with regular quinoa, rinse the grains through a small sieve to remove the bitter residue before cooking.  Then add 1.5 cups water and cook until tender, either on the stovetop or in a rice cooker.  [...]

marian     at 12:14 pm

just bought the less expensive version on gilt group today! SO HAPPY to finally have one of these! lots of quinoa in my future :)

JoAnne     at 1:55 pm

Does the less expensive rice cooker have the setting to cook steel cut oats-porriage setting/and is it stainless steel bowel and lid?

Vegan 101: Kitchen tips from a chef     at 4:27 pm

[...] arts degree. Emily’s writing is so encouraging and persuasive that five minutes after reading her A Girl and Her Rice Cooker: A Love Story. post I ordered my own rice [...]

Andrew     at 5:38 am

Hi Emily,

Great pictures of your Zojirushi NP-HBC10. I’ve got a NP-GD05 (Japanese version of the NP-GBC05). Induction Heating is definitely the way to go :)

I’m running a competition on the Japanese Rice Cooker Store Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/JapaneseRiceCookerStore where anyone can enter to win a free Zojirushi NS-YAC10 rice cooker which is their latest model (valued at over $200).

Thought your readers might be interested.

Best,
Andrew

New Addition to the Kitchen | Blogging Over Thyme     at 7:02 am

[...] upon reading Emily’s post on her beloved rice cooker, I became intrigued and hooked on the idea of getting my [...]

A Day In the Life of A 7-Week Old Baby. | Daily Garnish     at 5:44 pm

[...] I have to do it quickly or else I will starve.  Usually I have oatmeal waiting for me in the rice cooker from the night before, so I quickly dish that up, throw on some toppings, and slam it along with a [...]

Justine     at 4:12 pm

looked back on this older post to order one for my mom for christmas!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 10:28 am

I love my rice cooker too! Especially for beans. I always screw up on stovetop beans but the rice cooker is seriously a dream.

yuri     at 2:53 pm

hi emily:) i’m a new reader of your blog, and i have a question regarding this rice cooker, as there has been some reviews on amazon saying that it last only 1.5 yrs or less! i was planning on saving up for a ricecooker with so many uses but considering the expensive price, that is really disappointing! since you have this personally, i was wondering about your experience with this model and if it is really worth the price. thanks.

wow, really? we’ve had ours for years and it still works like new! no problems at all!

Lora Reply:

Is it still working? Ii hope so, since I just got mine today, despite those negative comments on Amazon.

Wild Rice Harvest Vegetable Salad. | Daily Garnish     at 11:53 am

[...] by preheating the oven to 375 degrees.  In a sauce pan or rice cooker, combine the wild rice mix and water, and cook until tender and fluffy.  If you don’t have [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Home Life: A Kitchen Tour.     at 4:16 pm

[...] appliances would stay out, and which ones would get shelved.  Making the final cut – the rice cooker, juicer, Vitamix, toaster, and Soda Stream.  We use all of these almost daily, and it’s [...]

Nadja     at 5:40 am

I just came back from Japan with my first Fuzzy Logic rice cooker (it was about 8000 Yen/80 Euros) and I’m very happy with it. I had a very cheap model (around 20 Euros) before and it burnt rice quicker than I could unplug it. The rice the new one has just produced is perfect and not burned at all:) And tonight I’m going to try out the porridge setting. Yay!

Yours,
Nadja from Austria

John @ Best Rice Cooker Reviews     at 2:24 pm

I remember when I was first introduced to a rice cooker and since then I really like searching for rice cook recipe online and do my own experiment and of course always open for more tasty food :)

hummingbird     at 8:33 pm

Your not the only female in <3 with their Zojirushi rice cooker. I absolutely adore my Zojirushi Micom Rice Cooker 5.5 cups! Cheap NO, but worth every single dollar of $180.00 that I forked over for it. It is the most valuable tool in my kitchen. It makes the most perfect rices, grits, grains (millet is my fav), soups and stews. I will never be without a Zojirushi rice cooker in my kitchen. BAR NONE it is the best.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Foodie Baby: Gear & Goods     at 2:34 pm

[...] about stuff every single day – people looking for recommendations on baby gear, diaper bags, rice cookers, kitchen supplies, and all sorts of [...]

Robert     at 1:41 pm

Hi, We’ve got the same Zojirushi you’ve got at the farm (NS-TGC-10)… and love it. Could you tell me: what specifically do you notice as differences in end-product (cooked foods) between that and the higher-end induction model you have at home (NP-HBC10)? Thanks!

nelnel     at 1:18 pm

I agree. Zojirushi is a very sturdy rice cooker. Other models are also good, like Aroma, Cuckoo, Tiger, and others.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Quick & Easy Rice Cooker Meal: Rice & Peas.     at 4:26 pm

[...] me just start by saying that while I know not everyone here has a rice cooker, I know that many of you do.  So I hope I’m not alienating my appliance-less friends.  [...]

Andy @ Karate Rice     at 3:08 pm

Glad to see you’re a Zojirushi fan!!! I love them too. If you’re interested, you can check out my reviews of the different models I own here: http://www.karaterice.com/japanese-rice-cooker-reviews/

rbd     at 11:54 am

Not sure you are stil attending to this thread, but I have one question, the answer which might make the decision to buy for me. Can I make congee in it, and, other foods with liquid that I don’t want to disappear, plus can I steam milk in it? I frequently burn my latte milk on the stove in a pot that now has a permanent bonded burnt milk coating, inside adn out. Mornings…

You can definitely make things that will still have liquid in them, but I’m not sure about your two specific examples.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » This Plate.     at 7:44 am

[...] With our vegetables slowly roasting away in the oven, and a batch of lentils cooking in the rice cooker, I rounded up the family for a walk to our neighborhood grocery store.  I grabbed a big mixed [...]

Laurie Ann     at 6:31 am

I LOVE my Zojirushi rice cooker also! I make a lot of rice, and am just learning to do grains .. would love to find LOTS of recipes on grains! Thanks for the great blog!

garcinia free trial     at 9:01 am

For example do not take away all of the skin and make them go away.
Excess weight is the greatest solution for anybody. To me,
it speaks to the liver. The answer is simple and tragic:
There are no side effects reported. Best garcinia cambogia reviews
response:” Thanks, but no adverse effects with Garcinia Cambogia HP, I saw almost instant results. Many report an increase in energy levels. Otherwise it garcinia cambogia reviews may not work and that can help both suppress appetite and reduce your fat intake.

Javier     at 2:51 pm

Love your blog. It was one of the final pushes to get me a rice cooker. I’ve been vacillating between the 3 1/2 cup and the 5.5 cup. I was wondering if small quantitied (ie 1/2 cup of rice) came out well in the 5.5 cup. What is the least rice and oatmeal you’ve made at one time?

Jack     at 8:21 am

Very nice. We go through a lot of rice, so the Zojirushi looks like a possibility for us. What do you think about rinsing rice? I’ve heard some people say they won’t even touch rice that hasn’t been rinsed at least three times. I don’t notice a huge difference in taste, but the rice is a lot stickier if I don’t rinse it.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Simplicity.     at 4:35 pm

[...] added one cup of brown rice and two cups of black lentils to my trusty rice cooker, along with just under six cups of broth (and cooked on the “regular” [...]

Krystie     at 12:12 pm

I just reread this post and finally bought my rice cooker! Can’t wait till it arrives!

juice extractor     at 1:44 am

Hi, this weekend is nice iin favor of me, because this time i
am reading this wonderful educational article here at
my house.

Indian     at 11:29 am

I love rice cookers too and I cook everything from cooking rice to steaming fish to making instant noodles in them.

Dolly     at 3:07 am

I never use rice cooker more. I tried Redmond 4500 multicooker from my friend and buy it – it is the most important item in the kitchen now for me there is the best cook book and all the resipes Redmond multicooker do very fast and much better than any rice cooker.