For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

5 Warning Signs You Aren’t Getting Enough Protein: A Guest Post from No Meat Athlete

Greetings from the middle of Virginia!  While I am transporting my life across the country, I have a special surprise for you guys.  No Meat Athlete is one of the first vegetarian blogs I started reading way back in the day, and I still look forward to each new post that pops up in my reader.  I even have the t-shirt (ignore my scraggly hair).

[IMG_1265[3].jpg]

Matt’s blog is all about helping people run marathons and ultramarathons on a vegetarian diet – VERY cool.  You guys are in for a real treat today, because he wrote a special guest post just for Front Burner readers!  And it’s on a topic that I know a lot of you are interested in, because I get emails about it ALL the time.  So without further adieu…

———————————————————————————————-

5 Warning Signs You Aren’t Getting Enough Protein

A guest post from Matt Frazier, writer of the No Meat Athlete blog.

Where do you get your protein?

If you’re a vegetarian, especially an athletic one, you’ve likely heard that question dozens of times. We hear it so often it becomes a joke. But the question is a valid one: So many people who try out a vegetarian or vegan diet can’t make it last. After the initial energy gains, an imbalance in their diet (usually a protein or iron deficiency) catches up with them, and everything goes downhill. Their bodies crave meat again, they obey their cravings, and that’s the end of it.

What I did wasn’t perfect either

When I became vegetarian, I felt incredible. And I ran better than ever, qualifying for the Boston Marathon and running my first 50-mile ultramarathon, thanks largely to a lighter frame and more energy that allowed me to train and recover like I never had before. But with this energy and these accomplishments came the idea that my diet, by virtue of being plant-based, was exempt from traditional sports nutrition rules. I concluded that we don’t need nearly as much protein as the people in charge would have us believe. This belief caused me to let my diet slip, loading up on carbohydrates and slacking on the effort I once made to include protein in every meal. And—surprise, surprise—my performance suffered. And not just in running, but in my day-to-day activities. Fortunately, I recognized what was happening and addressed the problem. But had I been a new vegetarian when this happened, it might have led me to conclude that "a vegetarian diet doesn’t work for endurance sports," and I never would have made gotten all the benefits of such a clean diet. In case you’re that new vegetarian, here are five signs that (just once!) you need to listen to the critics when they say you need more protein.

1. You’re tired when you shouldn’t be.

Most vegetarians will tell you they have more energy now than when they used to eat meat. If you experience less energy, not enough protein might be the cause. I’m not talking about feeling groggy when you wake up. I mean wanting to take a nap in the middle of the day or evening when you never used to. And it doesn’t have to be just physical—a mental lack of motivation is also sometimes associated with protein deficiency.

2. You’re weak when you lift weights, run, do yoga, or do any other strenuous activity.

When you don’t get enough protein, your muscles aren’t able to repair themselves after a workout. In such a case, strenuous exercise can actually be counterproductive—you aren’t able to rebuild what you tear down, and you actually become weaker.

3. You’re flabby where you used to be muscular.

It’s not just the performance of your muscles that declines when you’re protein-deficient: Their appearance and size does, too. Why? If your body can’t find enough protein in your diet to sustain itself, it takes it from wherever it can find it. And wouldn’t you know it, your muscles, not your body fat, are where the protein is. Bottom line: If you don’t give your body enough protein, it’ll cannibalize its own tissue to get what it needs.

4. You’re getting injured and not recovering quickly.

Slowed recovery doesn’t just apply to rebuilding muscles after a tough workout—when you’re injured and protein deficient, your body will take longer to heal. Again, it’s pretty logical. Protein is necessary to build new tissue, so if it’s not available, your body can’t rebuild itself.

5. Your hair is falling out.

Seems like a weird sign of protein deficiency, doesn’t it? What’s going on here is that when you’re not getting much protein, your body goes into conservation mode. Among other things, it stops spending valuable protein on the production of things like hair and nails. The result: Hair in your shower, broken, brittle nails, and other pleasantries.

What to Do About It

So while the protein question is fair, there are plenty of good answers to it for vegetarians and vegans. Here’s what to do if you think you’re not getting enough. To figure out how much protein you should be getting each day, take your body weight in pounds and multiply by 0.4. That’ll get you slightly more than the U.S. recommended daily allowance. And as an athlete, you may find you need to up that number. There are plenty of fine non-animal sources of protein, even if you’re not down with eating soy at every meal. My favorite sources are beans of all kinds, but you’ll also find a good amount of protein in nuts, grains and seeds like quinoa, and even vegetables like spinach and broccoli. (Vegan bodybuilder Robert Cheeke has a great list of vegan protein sources on his website.)

Supplementing is another option. I find that starting the day with a smoothie with protein powder helps me ensure I get enough. Hemp protein is my favorite, but pea, rice, and soy protein powders are all viable vegan options. Finally, make sure you’re getting all the essential amino acids. If you rely too heavily on a single protein source, it’s likely you won’t be getting all the amino acids you need. On my website, I have page dedicated to helping people go vegetarian, which includes a chart of the amino acids in vegetarian foods.

So the next time someone asks you the protein question, don’t just blow them off. They have a point; protein should be a concern for vegetarians and vegans. But it’s absolutely not something you can’t overcome if you’re committed to experiencing all that this diet has to offer.

[matt nf finish image]

Many many thanks to Matt!  You guys make sure you check out his blog – I guarantee he has a lot more to teach you.

Next time you hear from me, I’ll be in my new home – wheeeeeeeeeee!

white wall     at 10:04 pm

The Absent Game…

Among me and my husband we have owned far more MP3 players through the years than I can count, together with Sansas, iRivers, iPods (traditional & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few ages I’ve settled down to one line of gamers….

artwork brush     at 11:02 pm

Exceltional poost but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?

I’d be very grateful if you could elaborafe a little bit more.
Appreciate it!

ginger pills uses     at 5:46 pm

Great article! We will be linking to this particularly great content on our site.
Keep up the good writing.

different colors     at 6:29 pm

What’s up, just wanted to tepl you,I loved this blog post.
It was funny. Keep on posting!

Tiendas Led     at 9:59 pm

Buenas, gracias por la informacion , me ha sido de gran utilidad, la compartire !!!Besos!!!!.

Hola, buenísimo el blog post, muy util, lo compartire.
Abrazos a todos

Buenas, gracias por la informacion , me ha sido de gran utilidad, la compartire !!!Abrazos!!!!.

Muchas gracias por entregar a todos una fantástica posibilidad
como para leer los comentarios críticos de este blog.

Siempre y en toda circunstancia es muy fabuloso y también rellena con un montón de diversión para mí y mis compañeros de oficina los trabajadores a visitar el weblog más de tres veces a la r
semana para leer por medio de los nuevos consejos que has conseguido.
Y, de hecho, estoy tan con frecuencia satisfechas con sus ideas creativas atractivas que sirve.

Ciertas áreas 2 de este artículo son indudablemente el más
eficiente todo cuanto hemos tenido.

Super-Duper weblog Soy cariñoso él!! Volveremos después a leer un poco más.
Hago uso de los feeds Asimismo

Yo simplemente no podía salir de su lugar ya antes de
sugerir que me agradó mucho la información habitual una persona proporcione para sus visitantes?

Hmm es cualquier otra persona teniendo problemas con las imágenes en este blog carga?
Trato de averiguar si es un inconveniente en mi final o bien si es el weblog.

Cualquier respuesta sería valoradísima.

Como novato, estoy navegando de forma permanente on line para los artículos que
me puede asistir. Gracias

Temas fantásticos en suma, que termina de ganar un nuevo lector.
¿Qué podría usted sugerir sobre su publican que termina de crear
un puñado de días dentro del pasado?

webcammodelingjobsnow.com     at 8:54 am

It’s amazing in support of me to have a site, which
is helpful designed for my know-how. thanks admin

fix lcd screen iphone     at 5:51 am

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This post posted at this
site is actually nice.

BCAA Powder     at 6:08 am

Expect a large development in the execution of your fitness regimen as BCAA 6000 is excellent
with regards to recovery.

custom made tshirts     at 3:23 pm

Thank you, I have just been looking for info approximately
this topic for a while and yours is the best I’ve found out till now.
However, what about the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the
source?

anti-aging     at 9:45 am

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site,
how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal.

I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

Whey Protein 3 Vezes Por Semana - Whey Protein Club     at 7:01 am

[…] 5 Warning Signs You Aren’t Getting Enough Protein – Greetings from the middle of Virginia! While I am transporting my life across the country, I have a special surprise for you guys. No Meat Athlete is one of the first … […]

numerology reading 2016     at 3:35 pm

The analyse of numerology compatibility tail hand us
selectjve information that bequeath assistance us
in development one and only of the near significant parts of our lives, the culture and sweetening of
our relationships and, not simply the interactionns with our elect living partners, only too with oour family, friends and puzzle
out acquaintances.

Now, to visualize how a Liveliness Way (3) person’s Bed
human relationship volition go, such as Edmund Hillary Clinton’s; we consumption their partner’s Biography Way
of life and see in the remit beneath. In the Clinton’s case,
we would feeling at thee launching for Aliveness Route (2) at a lower place annd substantiation retired
the effect.

A academic session in numerology or a loose tarot card posting
recital potty be rattling revealing and encourage you to go in for a Richard Buckminster Fuller indihation for
a punter agreement of you, your life history track and luck.
However, if you need to live roughly your living in profundity and nigh the ulterior prospects,
a tasrot recital including numerology concerted with tarot horoscopes gives you
in-profundity perspectives of your preceding life and the
next prospects. If you consume just a few issues of concern,
a oecumenical tarot card recitation whitethorn feed you particular answers.

Finally, single must view that numerology does not hope
to work out your problems merely is an option right smart to reckon your
office in living. That’s genuinely the cause that, as
numerous observers have noted, changing your
describe leave not entirely of sudden switchh
your numerology reading material as it is set from you unfeigned parentage make.

Second, Numerology is done by on the job turned of
the person’s natal day and name. That is because a someone numerology numbers
racket are derived from the fully acccumulation nativity constitute and the date stamp of
deliver.

According to numerology, thius figure decides achiever and failure of
an separate in his lifespan. From each one letter of the alphabet of a diagnose has a numerical assess.

Working as subordinates is non at totally a favourable qualify for these as iit results in growth of intimate thwarting
of them. The numeral values of entirely the letters in a figure when added together grant
you a resultant issue.The sequent come hass sealed cocksure and veto energies.
If the resultant identification number has
more electronegative energies connected with it than positive, it will bear on the soul negatively.

The bike of luck turns over and Major exchange is seen. Mumbai volition rebound backrest with spate of wholeness and posture.
Pile of muscularity and exurbence is foretold.

Mumbaities wish emphatically be active departed from the wearying situations.
Major planet Urania is major planet for glamour, glitz,
creativeness and artistry. The approach twelvemonth forwards should
be utilised in assembly data, information, making plans and socialisation kind of than qualification hard investment funds.
As per my conclusion ‘Bombay’ was a often improve gens. According tto
Chinese Astrology Bombay became Mumbai in 1995 the yedar 1995
adds upto to unmarried numeral 6. According to Tarot Cards the climax class for Bombay will be a great
deal meliorate. If Bombay focuses on these aspects then it
will be very much good. When the urban center was named Bombay it was ontogeny in entirely aspects peculiarly it was
favourable for the Bollywood Moving picture Manufacture
since Mumbai adds upto ace telephone number Count 6 and list 6 make up
Planet Venus.

• The souul need number: The count for which,
is observed by separating taboo the vowels that reach up your totally have
list and summing the mathematical vazlues assigned to
them, the mortal urge on count gives the honourable and
moral estimation of what you believe in, the mettle of your being and
individuality as a human being being.

From each one of the partners will enrich the animation of the early.

Theyy make for each one former totally the funding and boost they rewuire
for both to grow themselves to their full phaase of the moon potentials.
This is a selfsame proficient combination.

Therefore the issue of hazving the liveliness course analysis and running
wwith to each one other, victimisation it to encourage apiece other’sdevelopment,
is very satisfying to you; both from an separate full poinht of position and
at the human relationship point. • The living grammatical construction number:
Calculated from the letters thatt hold up your gross deliver name,
the lifespan look add up inforrms you of the talents and grammatical category powers you testament be able-bodied to name
upon during your life, and tells you astir the topper variation of you that youu could reach in your aliveness.

Tarot card cards arrive in inscrutable sizes, these years.
Roughly bbear more than than 78 cards, or so to a lesser extent.
They are oversized, undersized or encircle decks. Around are founded on particular intellection cycle, piece close too are based on special science possibility.

Close to are fifty-fifty based on channelled selective information.

These are often beliefs and emotions that are workings like obscure puppet strings shoving
and dragging you along paths that you indigence to work out through
or cover. As with the somebody urge numerate the findings brougt to lightness by exploring yourr karmic
total should be made known only when to those that you make the nighest connections with.

Your Lifespan Track is your principal amount in Numerology; tantamount to your Lord’s Day house in Star divination. You account it by summing the digits of your total
appointment of birth, and and so reduction this count victimization fadic summation.
Presidential aspirer Edmund Hillary Clinton is an good example of a Living Way (3); her parturition go steady of October 26th, 1947
resolves to (3) as shown below:

ketogenic diet recipes     at 12:22 pm

I had to put the keto plan on hold as a result of water
problems here (in WV) – my water was fine after flushing, no color,
no odor.

www.yonizo.com     at 8:50 pm

Pour cela je tombe avec un peu de chance sur une chute problem du guide qui est donc
parfaitement aux dimensions.

curling irons     at 6:01 pm

After putting a Wii Mii together to my liking, I then chose
if I wanted a male or female workout trainer. Even though it
wasn’t written for today’s generation, the themes and people in the book still ring true.
In addition to showcasing the entire line-up of products available, the website also offers the customers the facility of ordering for free samples.

bmx the game gameplay     at 3:47 pm

Use in your post title for mobile submissions.

protein powder recipes bodybuilding     at 6:25 pm

Thanks designed for sharing such a good thought, post is good,
thats why i have read it fully

kim     at 1:03 am

Hi I just read the article and thought that the info was pretty good on the whole. I just wanted to mention that strength athletes will almost certainly need more protein than suggested particularly given the bioavailability of some plant based proteins. Most strength athletes try to get a MINIMUM of 1 gram per pound of lean body weight on a workout day and 1 gram per Kilo of lean body weight on a rest day. Remember, muscle needs maintenance! Be strong!! :)

How to Get Enough Protein as a Vegetarian     at 11:05 am

[…] Instantly, I heard the voices of the peanut gallery rise up in my head. For the past few years, I’ve been reassuring my friends, family, and perfect strangers that yes, I was a vegetarian; yes, I did Ironman triathlons; yes, it was possible to do so without eating meat; and no, I wasn’t going to die from protein deficiency. […]

running shoes