Our House: Bathroom & Living Room Tours

As more and more empty boxes make their way out the recycling bin, I thought it was only fair to continue to show you the progress we’re making in our new home.  You guys have assured me that you really DO want to see detailed pictures of exciting things like our bathroom.  Hopefully this post doesn’t make you change your mind!

Behold – my favorite room in the house!  The vanity side has a wall to wall granite counter top that is soooo beautiful and easy to keep clean.  Our old bathroom had cheapo laminate and disgusting off-white countertops that always looked filthy, no matter how much you cleaned them.  I’m trying to keep this countertop as clutter-free and clean as possible!

The other nice thing about the giant vanity is all the storage – so much that we have his and hers sides!  I am actually really good about not having an overly girly or frilly decorating style, but the bathroom is my one indulgence.  In fact is is the only room in the house where we have any pink at all.

For whatever reason, I cannot stop myself from wanting to display my makeup on beautiful ruffled cake stands.

I am a slave to Bare Escentuals eye shadow.  I can’t help myself.  (And it looks like I have the perfect spot for one more!)

Pretty brushes in – what else? – tiny ball jars.  As long as makeup is clean and displayed nicely, I think it’s fine to set it out in plain view.

The other side of the bathroom houses this amaaaaaaaaaazing Jacuzzi soaking tub.  (Still haven’t hung our pictures on the walls yet!)

Gorgeous views with pretty pink flowers just outside the window.

And more pretty pink flowers just IN-side the window!  This is my one remaining table arrangement from my wedding – my mom literally spent months making 20 of these with nothing but paper, wire, and her bare hands.  So gorgeous, and it brings back such fun memories.

Next to the tub we have our glorious stand-up shower.  I love having just glass walls and no shower curtain or liner to get slimy and gross.  Also love the dual shower heads – feels like I’m in a spa!

Leaving the bathroom for more civilized parts of the house, we can head down the staircase to our sun-filled living room.  I am SO excited about how well it has come together.

To the left side, we have our seating and living area.  We are still shopping for something fabulous to put on the wall behind the couch – any suggestions?

On the right side is our big bookshelf /
TV area.  Also still shopping for a lampshade for the headless lamp in the corner (a victim of the moving truck.)

In moving to a smaller space, I have found that I appreciate each and every square inch much more than I did before.  Rather than use our old TV stand, which served no purpose other than to hold a TV, we used these bookshelves as a multi-function entertainment unit and storage space.

I tried to incorporate a mix of things that are useful with things that make us happy.

Things that are important and relevant.

People we love to see every day, even if just in pictures.

Things that are both pretty AND useful.

And things that are simply just pretty…

And if you peek through the top of the front door you can see a flutter of Old Glory

Finally, on the inside wall we have a glorious (working) wood-burning fireplace!  I won’t bore you with the story of the fireplace in our last house – lets just say it involved a giant wasp nest and an emergency effort to board it up on Christmas Eve.  Let’s hope this one is a little more friendly to us.

And just down the hall, a sneak peek into the glory that is the kitchen.  But that one will have to wait for a post all of its own.

This house is definitely starting to feel like a home.  What is your favorite room of the house?  Any bathroom fans out there like me?

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats     at 9:52 am

LOVE the eye shadows on the cake stand. I love makeup too, so fun ways of storing makeup always makes me happy.

You have gotten yourself settled very quickly – go you!

Jessica @ How Sweet     at 9:53 am

Oh my goodness – I absolutely LOVE your bathroom!!

kATH     at 9:54 am

SOOOO GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I am massively jealous of that bathroom. And the living room is perfect!! You must be on Cloud 9!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Bring your bubble bath! :)

coco     at 9:56 am

Your house looks AMAZING!!! I love it!!! You did a good job on decorating it and making it comfortable and cozy!
favorite room? kitchen and living room.

Kim     at 9:59 am

Stop into Decorium on King Street for interior stuff. I used to work there (say hi to Jeff and David if you see them). Also, for artwork, hop over to the Torpedo Factory. It’s an old torpedo factory that now houses several art studios. You can watch artists work, but you can also buy. It’s a pretty fun place to be.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Kim, did you live here? How did I miss that!?! How cool. Are you guys still in Charleston?

Emily     at 10:01 am

LOVE that the stairs go up and behind the fireplace…so much character. and the hardwood?! …mm mmm mmmmm heaven!

Laura     at 10:02 am

Wow it’s looking absolutely AMAZING!!!! I just love how cozy your living room looks. great job filling the Ikea shelving units too! I have one and am still trying to find a way to fill it that makes me smile. Can’t wait to see the kitchen!

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 10:03 am

The house is looking terrific! My favorite room is the kitchen cause my husband gives me free reign!

Leanne     at 10:04 am

I’m also a slave to BE eyeshadow! Well, BE in general. I LOVE your display idea. My bathroom is totally girly (dresses and shoes and purses) and that would go so well with my scheme.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 10:04 am

The house is looking great! Don’t you love that point in moving when you get to settle into a new place?
You have a LOT of eyeshadow :-)

I know. I love them. :)

Therese     at 10:05 am

LOVE how the house is coming along and so jealous of your beautiful bathroom!!!

The bathroom and kitchen are definitely my favourite rooms in a house. They’re the first things I check out and have THE final say on whether I take the place!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Me too – that’s how we ended up here. :)

Dorry     at 10:06 am

Your house is beautiful and you’ve really settled in quickly! I hope you are feeling “at home”. :)

Amy     at 10:18 am

I love everything you’ve done so far! It makes me want to move so I can have fun redecorating (that will happen soon enough since my husband is Air Force and we move every 3 yeas). I don’t mean to be a party pooper, but I was wondering if your mom’s gorgeous paper flowers will survive in the bathroom. Will the steam make them wilt? Sorry, I’m a worrier! :) Everything is beautiful!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

OMG – had not thought of this. I will make sure to watch them after the first few showers!! Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef Reply:

yeah i wondered the same thing. i know i’d totally get something like that wet when i was in there. but everything looks gorgeous!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 10:20 am

Seeing these pictures really makes me want to move out of our dingy, dirty (not because I don’t clean but because it is so old) apartment!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ew that’s how our old place was. All the cleaning in the world couldn’t save it.

Emily Reply:

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. I’ve totally given up on getting this place clean. Your new place looks awesome! Can’t believe it’s a rental…gorgeous bathroom, and so good to see a little color on the walls!

Grace     at 10:21 am

Is that a large AND small Ona pitcher from Crate and Barrel?! That was probably my #1 favorite thing in the store when I worked there years ago :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Why yes it is! :) I worked at C&B too – the new Kenwood location. I was part of the opening team! SUCH a fun place o work.

Heather     at 10:27 am

Everything looks great! I love. Esentials too!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 10:32 am

Can I just say how jealous I am of the dual shower heads in the shower!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I’ve never had the dual heads before – they are awesome!

Maryann     at 10:33 am

Love the bathroom. Mine is soooo small in our house. Also love the openness of the living room and it’s so calming. You’ve done a fantastic job and it encourages us to get rid of clutter. I have this year and will continue to do so. I have given some things that I had that were in my family to my son why wait til I’m gone. But I will hold on to some also.
Blessings from Lancaster gal

Sarah     at 10:40 am

Your bathroom is gorgeous! I love the cake plate with make-up on it. I wish I had that many colors! My favorite spot in our new apartment is our balcony (especially in the morning). Your pictures make me miss living in Old Town so much. Good thing I still work here!

jamie @ jamelafamela     at 10:43 am

so home-y and beautiful! love it!

Gwen     at 10:43 am

You guys are looking for roommates right? My fiance and I won’t take up much space, I promise. We’ll sleep in that GLORIOUS bathtub! No? What if I bring MY bare minerals eye shadow and add it to the collection?! GORGEOUS place!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha LOVE it. When my best friend and I lived together, we had all our makeup combined. You should have SEEN the combined amount of BE makeup – scary. I miss using some of her colors!

Tina     at 10:51 am

I love it!! And I always have a ton of different eyeshadows too. They are the most fun to play around with. :D

Jessica     at 11:10 am

I love your house. I think I may have to steal your idea of putting brushes in Bell jars. I am just now discovering bell jars.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Wait til you see my kitchen then…

Clare     at 11:12 am

I would LOVE to recommend a Blik wall decal for above the couch – I’m sure you could find one you absolutely love, maybe a chandelier?:

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Just spent the last 30 minutes looking at wall decals – thanks for the great suggestion! So cute.

Grace     at 11:16 am

Looks beeyoutiful. Gorgeous home in a gorgeous neighborhood! :) Hard to believe you only just moved in a few days ago! Go you!

My favorite room of any of my houses/homes is usually the living room/den. I like that it’s cozy, but still functional.

jessica     at 11:48 am

i did the same thing for my wedding arrangments as well. my mom was a savior in helping me make them because i believe when all was said and done we had over 400 tissue paper flowers made.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

oh yes, we had SO many paper flowers. she was a saint!

Susan     at 11:53 am

I love those Expedit bookshelves! We have a lot of them in our house. In my old place, I had lots of counter space in the bathroom and displayed my BE the same way. I loved being able to see everything easily and I used it a lot more. Now I have no counter space and it’s all in a drawer.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We have three of them! You’ll notice another one when I do the office tour. They are so useful!

I don’t have a favorite room in my tiny apartment. My husband and I can’t WAIT to move! We have those awful white countertops that always look dirty right now. It’s awful.

Your place looks amazingly beautiful!! Definitely inspires me to actually take the time to decorate the next time we move.

Laurab @ foodsnobstl     at 12:23 pm

If my bathroom was as amazing as yours, it would clearly be my favorite room.

Theresa     at 12:26 pm

I love how you displayed your eyeshadow! I wear BE too so I may copy you :) The house looks great, what a luxurious bathroom. I love the living room. If you are on a budget for the wall behind the couch you can frame fabric in a pattern you like or mount in on canvas or wood? Young house love has great ideas too.

Dynamics     at 12:35 pm

I love my home office. I just had it painted, purple and love it. I took a solid core door and added legs and have a beautiful full functional big office desk now. Love what you have done so far. Amazing.

Lindsay     at 12:50 pm

Your place looks awesome! Check out World Market for affordable artwork for walls. They sometimes mail out good coupons too, so you could try joining their mailing list or searching online. There is a World Market in Pentagon Row – near Pentagon City mall, not far from Old Town.

Good idea – thank you!

Lauren     at 12:59 pm

Your bathroom is gorgeous!!! I love the make-up display idea. ;)

Corey - The Runner's Cookie     at 1:08 pm

Your house looks so homey and peaceful! Glad you are so happy with it!!

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice     at 1:20 pm

I love the cake tray you put your makeup on! It’s girly and very pretty.

Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup)     at 1:21 pm

you are so cute!!

Your home looks really good.

Great books girl:)

Brendan Brazier from Thrive lives in my area, he does a lot of the same hikes I do!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

How cool! I got to meet him and hear him speak at a function in Charlotte – it was awesome!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 1:25 pm

I do love the B.E. makeup display. I’d love to do that when I have a purdy bathroom some day : )

You’ve been working hard, woman!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Pretty sure you called me out on the eye shadows in Chicago. :)

sarah     at 1:50 pm

Lovely! You definitely have a knack for turning a house into a home. I might need to borrow you. Love the mantelpiece!

I guess the one thing that would concern me, probably wouldn’t be an issue for you, but as a northern climate girl, I’d be worried about needing a space to take off my muddy/snow covered boots and hang my coat. A transition zone.

=)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We have a pretty good transition closet in the hallway!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans     at 1:51 pm

Beautiful! GORGEOUS! Such an amazing looking house you’ve got there. Perfectly decorated. I would display my make up as you did too in that bathroom.

Jes     at 1:56 pm

There is a blog i follow “young house love” http://www.younghouselove.com/
They are FULL of wonderful ideas for large spaces and they are all DIY and on the cheap… =)
Your bathroom makes me jealous! I cannot wait to start renovations on our new home…

I LOVE that blog!!

Haley     at 2:10 pm

I adore your new home… it’s beautiful and so well put together (especially for having just moved in!). I have a feeling there will be lots of good times there =). I, personally, am a huge fan of outdoor space. The place we’re in now almost has a larger deck than indoor living space (just the way we like it!). We’re lucky to be in Hawai’i where it’s pretty much always beautiful out.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Outdoor space was another necessity for me in picking out our new place. I can’t handle not having at least a patio or balcony of some sort.

whitney     at 2:19 pm

beautiful home! I love bare essentials. I started using that make-up this past Christmas because my face was doing so bad.

I will never use any other again.

My favorite room of the house is a kitchen

sassy molassy     at 2:23 pm

I absolutely love everything you’ve done with the house! That organizer you have under the tv is very cool. Love the box look. That bathroom is epic!

Laura     at 2:44 pm

Your bathroom is soooo amazing!!

Allie     at 3:02 pm

LOVE the bathroom! what a great way to display your makeup (you have a lot of eyeshadow!!). the torpedo factory has some really cool artists working/ displaying and selling their stuff. you should check it out.

ilana     at 3:07 pm

Emily,
The house is GOOORRRRGGGEEEOUS. I cannot believe how quickly you put it all together! We are in a temporary space that is prefurnished but rented it for the character it has as an old Victorian, But do have a big, light-filled bedroom.
Anyhoo, here are some art resources of different types for you:
http://www.jeffersonhayman.com (a very talented photographer who is also a friend of mine).

Have fun!

Gabrielle     at 3:13 pm

The first thing I did when I bought my condo last year was have the bathroom redone with glass shower doors and a big deep soaking tub like yours. I bet you’re going to love taking long baths after your long runs, I know I do!

Lauren     at 3:16 pm

Your home looks so gorgeous, Emily! Can I ask where you got your mirror? I’m looking for one for above the dresser in our bedroom and I like yours!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I don’t know :( It was Casey’s before we got together. My guess would be Z Gallerie because that was where he got pretty much everything else.

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 3:19 pm

Your home looks gorgeous! When I first moved in with the husband my favorite room in the house was the bathroom. . . maybe because it was the only one with walls other then beige (they’re dark green). However, until she pulled down her wallpaper border, Kaitlyn’s nursery was definitely my new favorite room- it was pink, butterflies, and we had my (detached) veil hanging over her crib (until she figured out how to rip it down).

Ugh- makes me want to redecorate our house!

Betty     at 3:55 pm

The bathroom – to die for – and it’s a rental?!?!

I had noticed your love of cake plate stands before :) – great display use in the b’room – cant wait to see the kitchen

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 4:01 pm

Gawwww, you organize fast! Love the new place!! My favorite room is our living room… although it needs decor (BADLY), we have big comfy couches and a view of the water… makes me feel cozy :)

Mellissa     at 4:03 pm

I love the huge shower in the bathroom! I am partial to bathrooms and kitchens, those two spaces are the most important to me.

Maissa (Run, Rant, Realize)     at 4:07 pm

I’m with you, nice bathrooms are an obsession of mine. In fact, it is my one gripe with my current apartment. I love everything about it except the bathroom which is small, dark, and not super well ventilated.

Your new bathroom is amazing. I would probably set up shop in that bathtub and never leave. I would have picked the house for the bathroom alone.

That being said, the rest of your place is looking great. The living room looks wonderfully cozy, and I love the fireplace.

I can’t wait to see the rest of what you do with the place.

Chicago Cuisine Critique     at 4:24 pm

Your house looks beautiful. I love all the decorating you have done so far. I can’t wait to see it once it’s all finished! Decorating is one of my favorite things.

Jenny @ Life, Love, and Marathons     at 4:38 pm

What a gorgeous home! Looks like everything is coming together nicely. I couldn’t help but notice “Once a Runner” on your bookshelf…good choice :)

Love that book.

Monica     at 4:40 pm

Ok, I first have to say congratulations on not only finding such a gorgeous house, but decorating it in a way that makes it even more gorgeous.

But what I really really really need to say….OH – MY – GOSH! Your bathroom makes me one very jealous lady. It is wonderful!

I live in an apartment that is right out of the 70′s and it is charming in its own way, but the bathroom and counters are ghetto. That is the worst thing about living in a city without any history before the 60′s.

Haha thanks!

Stacey     at 4:42 pm

Your house is so pretty! I love the idea of putting all of your makeup brushes in a little jar like that! I usually just throw mine into my makeup bag! Also LOVE how you used a bookshelf as a TV stand too, that is too cute :D I used to live in a really small trailor, and let me tell ya, I know what you mean about appreciating larger spaces! Have fun decorating!!

Melissa     at 4:43 pm

LOVE the house! Especially your bathroom, it’s stunning! And I agree bathroom are extremely important :) I was actually just in Washington DC with my family – we stayed in Alexandria too! I absolutely loved it all (especailly frozen-you, which was made a daily thing by me, haha.) You should definitely check out the spy museum it’s too cool. You picked a great city that’s for sure!
Maybe you could hang your marathon photos and souvenirs on the wall behind the couch? Good luck with it all though!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Those are hanging in the stairwell already. :) I have to find frozen-you!

Melissa Reply:

haha, I meant frozen-yo. :) My bad!

Ellie     at 4:52 pm

I. LOVE. your. bathroom. I am a huge fan of bathrooms – they are almost always my favorite room of a house (when they are nice! like yours) and yours is so gorgeous. I care about the same things you do like ease of cleaning and not having stuff all over the counter, I’m living with my parents for a few months after having my own bathroom and the stuff all over the counters is driving me crazy! Thanks for sharing these nice pics, I really love your sense of decor.

Kim     at 5:32 pm

Simply beautiful! But I knew it would be. Love the bathroom…I want one just like it. And you have pitchers just like mine, we must be friends :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha love those pitchers! :)

Jess @ NZ Girl Runs     at 6:49 pm

For above the couch, how about a black and white print? I personally like cityscapes, but anything would do. If you got a longer one it would look nice!

Pure2Raw Twins     at 8:06 pm

If I had a bathroom like yours, I would be a fan!!! :)

kelli     at 8:41 pm

obsessed with your adorable house!! I am also obsessed with ball jars and bought more today, and my dad was complaining “you have soooooo many jars”. I love reusing food and nutbutter jars..hey there could be worst addictions.

Chelsey     at 9:29 pm

The house is looking SO good! You got much more done in one week than I have gotten done in 6. Oh well, I’ll get over it! :) My favorite room is the kitchen and my bathroom – I am in LOVE with the tile and counter in my bathroom. It’s perfect.

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner     at 9:46 pm

Your house is gorgeous and the cake stand holding the makeup is genius. I want one for something now.

elyssa     at 9:49 pm

love your simple/elegant taste – the mirror above the fireplace looks great. maybe just got with another mirror above the couch? expand the room and keep it light?

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous     at 9:57 pm

Oh, I just LOVE how you’ve decorated. How wonderful!!

emily     at 10:51 pm

Gorgeous! Seriously, your place is amazing, the photos all look like they came out of a Real Simple.

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:02 pm

My favorite room is definitely the kitchen, but it was that way long before I was a nut about trying wacky new foods and experimenting. We have always gotten together around the table when we have family over, so I still associate that with Christmas and loving, hilarious chaos.

Love the bookshelves as TV stand!!

Meagan     at 11:12 pm

A large mirror over the couch would make the room twice as big! You could have it in a large rectangular shape and then frame some black and white photos of your favorite things in thin black frames and arrange them around the mirror. :D

Catherine     at 1:33 am

Your new place is GORGEOUS, and you have great design taste!

Jillian@ ReshapeYourLife     at 8:20 am

I don’t think I have a favorite room in our house yet… It’s still very much the boyfriend’s “bachelor pad”. But it’s getting there. :)

chase @ the chase project     at 8:22 am

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing the kitchen =)

Katie from Run Little Legs!     at 5:08 pm

Looks like you are settling into Alexandria/DC really well! Congrats on having your new home all set up :)

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerow     at 5:22 pm

You should check out lamp shades from Anthropologie. Expensive but they make a big statement and bring lots of color into a room. You may even be able to find one on ebay? Just a thought! House looks great!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Good idea! I love Anthro.

Natalie     at 8:49 pm

Hello Emily,

I’ve been reading your blog for several months now and I love your outlook on food, fitness and life in general! I’m sure to check every day for your posts. I thought it was about time I comment, since I’ve become Front Burner obsessed!

How fun watching the entire move and how you’re handling everything. You are truly inspiring and have motivated me to live an even healthier lifestyle. Thanks so much for your commitment to your blog, as it’s such an uplifting experience for me — sort of like a “get away” from daily stressors.

Thanks again,
Natalie

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Natalie – thanks so much for your comment! Happy to be a bright spot in your day. :) THANK YOU.

Jaime     at 8:50 pm

Your bathroom isn’t really my style (I’m more of a rustic/recycled/antique-ish kind of girl), but it’s awfully pretty and spacious. Love that shower. Shower curtains are so icky. I also agree that it’s fine to have make-up in plain view as long as it is organized and visually appealing.

I guess it’s kind of weird to have strangers commenting on your home, right? Haha. You’re a brave soul. Or at least tolerant. ;-)

Janene     at 11:02 am

AGH! I love the pink flowers in your bathroom! I made some for my sister’s baby shower, and wondered if i could pull it off for my own wedding, and you’ve definitely convinced me! How lovely, and I do have a year to get it done! Thanks!

janene

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

You will NEED the year to get it done, haha. My mom worked on those every night for months!

ann     at 9:11 pm

Emily,

I just love your place and what a great job you have done decorating.

I am new to Bare escentuals but would love to try their eye shadows. Could you recommend some colors?

Thanks!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hmm that’s a tough one. My favorites are Puzzle, Queen Phyllis, Incense, and Celestine. I like the sparkly ones. :)

2010: A Year In Review | Daily Garnish     at 10:34 am

[...] brought MOVING DAY!  I spent the first few weeks digging out of boxes and getting us settled in our new home.  Just as soon as I got my kitchen organized, it was time to start the Project [...]

Monica     at 10:37 pm

I love your living room- especially the t.v. stand/bookshelves. I’ve been looking at those for a while now. I want to do the same (with only 1 unit) but am wondering about the DVD player and cable box. Where do you have yours?