Whole Roasted Brussels Sprouts.

I think it is becoming fairly obvious that I have a serious thing for Brussels sprouts.  These delicious little mini cabbages are one of the only green veggies hearty enough to survive the cold winter months, so they are making an appearance in our kitchen quite often these days.  The particular “recipe” is really more of a cooking method than anything else, but the result is absolutely delicious.

Whole Roasted Brussels Sprouts

(click to print this recipe!)

Ingredients:

• 1 pound Brussels sprouts
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
  • salt or pepper (to taste)

Instructions:  Start with a bag of fresh Brussels sprouts…

The most popular way of cooking these sprouts is to remove the core by trimming the end, cutting them in half, and then pan sautéing them on the stovetop.  That (also delicious) method is used for my Cinnamon Cider Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Pears and the Asian Sesame Glazed Brussels Sprouts.

But this time we’re doing it a bit differently and cooking them whole.  You’ll still want to remove the woody ends, so use a knife to trim off the base of each sprout.

Once they are all trimmed, add to a small baking dish.

Besides the sprouts themselves, the only ingredients you need for this recipe are olive oil and liquid aminos.  So simple!

Add 1 tablespoon of each to the sprouts, and stir to combine and coat all the veggies.

Then pop them in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes (stirring once in the middle), and roast at 400 degrees.  The key to cooking them at a higher temp is that they get nice and crispy on the outside, but soft and warm on the inside.  They literally melt in your mouth.

The liquid aminos add just enough saltiness to make these perfect (although you can season with additional salt and pepper if needed).

Eat them by themselves for a mid-day snack, or serve along side brown rice and some perfect crispy tofu for a healthy dinner.

Hopefully this is just one more way for you to enjoy a vegetable you already love.

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles     at 7:05 pm

I always cut them in half – never tried roasting them whole. What a good idea though!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 7:09 pm

My whole family has become obsessed with brussels sprouts! We eat them as a main course over mashed potatoes almost weekly now. Yours look delicious!

Jason @ Shutter&Saute     at 7:09 pm

Love brussel sprouts… And I already have the liquid aminos from your pb tofu recipe, can’t wait to try it.

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 7:15 pm

Haha! I am just about to put some brussels sprouts in the oven! :D Never thought about putting liquid aminos on it. Definitely doing that!

Kristy @ KristyRuns     at 7:17 pm

This might give me an excuse to finally try the liquid aminos! :) Thanks!

AJ @ Flowing to Fifty     at 7:21 pm

I really, really, REALLY want to like brussel sprouts…but I just can’t. Are there any other ways to make them less bitter? Help!

Tricia Reply:

one of my old roommates rinses them, steams them, and dips them in ranch. her motto was everything tastes better with ranch. and she did mean everything. lunch everyday was always packed with a bottle of hidden valley lol. and they did taste better in ranch. maybe that could work for you?!?!?!

Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty Reply:

I will definitely try this.

Lauren @ vegology Reply:

I tried this recipe from Real Simple last year that includes red grapes. The red grapes made the brussels sprouts too sweet for me. . . maybe they would be perfect for you?
Good luck!

Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty Reply:

Grapes are good with everything! Maybe a few in a glass too…. :-)

Sounds delicious!!

lindsay     at 7:21 pm

Love these brussel sprouts recipes! They are so good!

Kaitlin     at 7:30 pm

I had no idea until this post that you’re supposed to cut off the ends! No wonder they tasted so stalky. :P

I’ll be trying this method soon!

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 7:30 pm

I love brussel sprouts. . . seriously, I think I could eat them daily. I do mine cut in half on a cookie sheet (http://www.healthylivingbites.com/content/oven-roasted-brussel-sprouts)- I love how they almost become sweet! They are so hearty they are my new favorite comfort food. . .

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat)     at 7:32 pm

I just noticed liquid aminos at Giant over the weekend and plan to pick up a bottle after moving. Roasted brussels sprouts are amazing!

People always think I’m crazy since I love brussel sprouts. I love them pretty much any way. But roasted…yum definitely the best!

Freya     at 7:37 pm

Love this recipe :)
I did brussels sprouts stir fried with banana and soy sauce once – incredible!

Christie     at 7:37 pm

I LOVE Brussels sprouts. I even got my family to love them. For Thanksgiving/Christmas, I roasted them and topped them with a bit of Parmesan cheese plus some bacon crumbles (for the non-vegs). They were a big hit – even with the kids.

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 7:38 pm

I’ve wondered about roasting them whole for a while now… thanks for taking out the guesswork! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 8:05 pm

I can never get enough of roasted brussels!! Steamed just isn’t the same:)

Carly (Swim, Run, Om)     at 8:34 pm

Yum! I love Brussels sprouts, and roasting them is my fave way to enjoy them.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)     at 8:35 pm

I always roast my B.Sprouts whole in just EVOO, or coconut oil, some ginger, and whatever other seasoning I feel like…I am too busy to be bothered with slicing in them in half, most of the time! Plus they stay firmer when whole which I prefer.

Thanks for relinking your other recipes..I forgot about those :)

Michaela     at 8:38 pm

If you cut an ‘x’ into the base, it allows some of the steam from the inside to escape so the inside gets soft instead of soggy.

Krystina (Organically Me)     at 8:43 pm

I love roasted brussels! My favorite is roasting ‘em and letting them chill. They taste SO good cold/at room temp.

Two Pitties in the City     at 8:43 pm

We’ve gotten addicted to Brussel Sprouts too, but I always feel I’m doing the same recipe. This looks easy, delicious, and it will be a great change of pace.

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 8:44 pm

Are you getting the brussels sprouts from a local grower at your farmers’ market? I haven’t seen any of those at our winter markets, but there are farmers with hoop houses selling locally grown spinach, Napa cabbage, green onions, and arugula, which all taste amazing in the middle of winter :)

Our market doesn’t have much produce right now – I got these at Whole Foods!

Sophie     at 8:47 pm

I loveeee roasted brussel sprouts! We always have them at Thanksgiving, so it makes me think of fall.

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama     at 9:09 pm

I just tried Brussels sprouts for the first time this winter. I was surprised at how much I loved them and even more surprised that my husband loves them, too!

Kristina     at 9:09 pm

So simple, yet so delicious! I love brussel sprouts… boo to all the brussel sprout haters out there :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 9:25 pm

I <3 brussels sprouts. :-)

KaraHadley     at 9:26 pm

I eat the woody stems. Is that weird? There’s just somehting about that super hearty bit mixed with the light crispy leaves that I love.

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 9:37 pm

I was going to make the same comment as Kara above – I never cut off the ends. I didn’t know it was normal to do so… oops!

Victoria (District Chocoholic)     at 9:46 pm

I don’t want to talk about my brussel sprout addiction. I’m not emotionally ready.

Nicole @ A Vegan in the House     at 9:47 pm

These look fabulous. Thanks for putting out such great recipes. I’ve been following you for about a year now and I always look forward to hearing what you’re up to!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 10:14 pm

These would definitely be great with crispy tofu! I like them with quinoa too :)

Dorry     at 10:23 pm

I love Brussels sprouts, but haven’t mastered them yet. I’m going to try cooking them this way!

Leslie     at 10:28 pm

Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite veggies. I love them oven roasted and will have to try them with this way. Usually I quarter them and roast plain. I add leftovers (if there are any) to my salad the next day.

Mehr     at 11:06 pm

I <3 brussel sprouts!! They taste so hearty and warm and delicious — definitely a comfort food for me! :)

Lauren @ vegology     at 11:09 pm

Yes! This is my favorite way to eat Brussels sprouts! Sometimes I throw some halved or quartered red bliss potatoes in the mix and roast them all together. Keep the Brussels sprouts recipes coming! :)

Kiran     at 11:50 pm

Love love love brussels sprout! I just cant understand why some people hate it. I love pan sauteing it in just a little evoo, s&p and a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving. Delish!

Delishhh     at 11:52 pm

Huge fan of your blog. I know you recently had to change name and i think you did it seemless. Love your blog.

Allison @ Happy Tales     at 12:25 am

I absolutely LOVE brussel sprouts!!!!!! So, so much. Roasted is the way to go, for me. I really don’t enjoy them as much if they’re steamed/boiled…

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down)     at 8:03 am

Mmm…I totally love brussels sprouts. I never thought of roasting them whole. :D

Hope     at 8:13 am

I LOVE brussels sprouts! I just tried them for the first time a couple of months ago and I am hooked! I love roasting them and they get slightly crispy. They are just so good! :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble)     at 8:18 am

I love brussels sprouts as well! I make this dish with brussels sprouts and grapes for my family every holiday that even the “haters” love… but I don’t understand why anyone would hate brussels sprouts! ;)

xo

Maddie     at 8:26 am

I have never had brussel sprouts! I think I need to change that.

Laura @ Starting Out Fit     at 8:38 am

I’ve had a phobia of brussel sprouts for as long as I can remember. To be honest, I’m not really sure if I’ve ever really tried them before, but I grew up with my mom loving them and my dad hating them. My mom would make them maybe once a year during the holidays when my uncle would be over (as he was the only other one who would eat them). Seeing this post though is making me consider sucking it up and just giving them a shot. There are many vegetables I eat now that I wouldn’t touch when I was younger, so maybe I’ll like brussel sprouts too?

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 9:04 am

I definitely love em’ best cut in half and pan roasted cut-side down. Lemon and olive oil usually does the trick.

Fit Chick Britt     at 10:03 am

You make the best looking food. Even brussel sprouts look delicious!

Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight     at 10:08 am

I have been roasting vegetables like this for quite some time now. I enjoy the smokiness and different taste that roasting gives sometimes bland veggies. The only thing I do differently is that I use EVOO, salt, pepper, cumin and sometimes red pepper flakes if I’m feeling a bit spicy! Cauliflower is amazing oven-roasted!

Lizzy @ runbakerace     at 10:55 am

I love brussel sprouts! My fiance built a brick pizza oven outside last year and we put them in the oven. Gets a little char on them and it tastes soooo good :)

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 11:02 am

Brussel sprouts are my least favorite vegetable. I’ve had them once, just steamed and they tasted pretty bland (also, I didn’t cut off the ends!). I can’t stand the thought of not liking ANY vegetable, so I think I’ll give’em another shot, and THIS time with some flavor! Thanks for the tips :)

Stephanie     at 11:23 am

I think Bsprouts have made a HUGE leap to the top of my favorite veggie list this past year. I have been making them sort of like this for awhile now! My KIDS LOVE them like this!

Melissa     at 12:11 pm

Mmm…love roasted vegetables. I wish I could still find the trees of brussels sprouts at Trader Joe’s.

Lauren R     at 12:40 pm

I always buy brussels sprouts in the frozen section and just steam them in the microwave. Now I think I may try them roasted and see how they turn out. Hopefully I won’t burn my apt down :)

Allison @ Runs A Latte     at 1:00 pm

I have never used Bragg’s, but I’ll have to look for some this weekend. I keep seeing it appear on various blog’s…that means it must be good.

Thanks for showing how to prepare these brussel sprouts! I love to try new recipes and foods, but I have a fear about not being a very good cook and not knowing what to do with certain foods. Your posts make it so clear and straight forward! Your blog is sooooo helpful to me! I can’t wait to try making these brussel sprouts

Taylor @ Delish World     at 1:06 pm

Obsessed with brussels and your crispy tofu! It’s the only way I make my tofu and it tastes awesome every single time! :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 1:15 pm

You are a mind reader! I bought fresh brussel sprouts at the farm market last weekend and have been looking for someting to do with them. Thanks, Emily!

Jenny     at 1:18 pm

I love the braggs liquid aminos! Never thought to cook them with veggies, sounds delicious!

Megan (Braise The Roof)     at 2:26 pm

I am also pretty much obsessed with brussels sprouts, but I think they’re starting to be out of season, yes? I couldn’t find any at Trader Joe’s this week!

cailen     at 2:35 pm

i LOVE brussels sprouts. when they’re roasted they get so buttery and delicious!

Gemma     at 2:37 pm

I’m not sure if we get brussel sprouts at any time other than Christmas here in the UK, I love them and wish they were used more often over here :D

Little Miss Fitness     at 3:28 pm

Hey Emily! What a beautiful blog…I am so excited to follow your endeavors. :)

I love the DC area–my husband and I used to be tour guides there! :) (though we didn’t hold up any lame umbrellas!)

Have a super day!

Alaina     at 3:47 pm

That’s one veggie that I haven’t ventured to try! I’ll have to give this one a shot. :-)

Chloe     at 4:34 pm

To me, brussels sprouts seem like the sophisticated go to veggie. Love this idea!

Mandy     at 4:35 pm

Brussel Sprouts can be scary to a lot of people, but this recipe seems easy enough for anyone and super delicious! My husband claims to not like brussel sprouts, but I bet he’ll love these!

Natalia - a side of simple     at 5:30 pm

I cannot get enough brussel sprouts lately. I can’t believe I only tasted them for the first time in January! Now I’m eating them like crazy :)

megan @ blackberries for jam     at 8:06 pm

Oh my goodness, I made these tonight and they are phenomenal! They really do just melt in your mouth. And when I read earlier that they would make a good snack, I thought “brussels sprouts, as a snack?!” But now, I understand!

Ananda     at 11:46 am

Perfect timing. I had a huge bag of brussels sprouts from Costco, so I made this last night (only I cut mine in half). Delicious, easy, healthy and they made yummy leftovers for my lunch today, too.

Melissa Daams     at 2:39 pm

oven roasted – what a simple idea. i gotta do that!

Kate     at 1:30 pm

Yum yum yum! I love Brussel Sprouts and just roasted some up for lunch. The best part are the leaves that fall off and get crispy and salty. Like yummy little cabbage chips.

it’s a wrap « My Little Part in Something Big     at 7:49 pm

[...] in olive oil and salt. Totally delicious but sometimes a little repetitive. So, I decided to try Emily’s recipe and couldn’t be happier. Her way is pretty similar to mine but the addition of liquid aminos [...]

Roasty Toasty Brussel Sprouts | Truly Simple Bits     at 12:20 pm

[...] make these roasted brussel sprouts I came across on Daily Garnish on a regular basis. They have me coming back for seconds each and every time. I may even go as far [...]

Symona     at 5:24 am

Wait, I cannot fathom it being so straighotfwrard.

high search engine     at 5:14 pm

continuously i used to read smaller posts that also
clear their motive, and that is also happening with this article which I am reading here.