For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Week 10: My Pregnancy Journey.

It’s weekly update time, and once again I am late!  Even though this is my official 10 week update, I’m actually 10 weeks and 5 days today, and I have discovered since getting pregnant that every day most definitely counts.

How Big is the Baby?

The grape just keeps on growing!  I have two different sources I consult for my weekly “your baby is as a big as a ____” updates, and this week they didn’t agree.  One says the grape has become a prune, and the other is telling me that he/she is the size of a kumquat!  Since kumquats are hard to come by in Virginia in March, we’re going to go with the less exotic prune option.

Yep, I went and bought prunes just for the occasion!  I suspect they will be in my fridge now for the next ten years.

How I’m Changing

This is the first week that I feel really puffy and bloated, instead of empty and hollow.  I will credit that to finally feeling much much better and actually eating again!  I’ve regained the pound or two that I lost during last week’s sickness, and I feel like my clothes are tugging a little more than they were last week.  At some point I plan to write a long post about weight gain and pregnancy, and all the emotions that come with that.

The only other physical change I have noticed recently is my insane sense of smell.  Seriously, I smell any and everything.  I feel like I should team up with a crime fighting unit or something to put my new super senses to work.  Although apparently some of these are also phantom smells, which my doctor confirmed is very common.  I have made multiple accusations that Casey smells like bacon.  He denies this wholeheartedly.

What I’m Eating

Happy to report that I actually ate a vegetable last night – roasted carrots!  While my appetite has returned, I’m still not really drawn to much beyond carbs right now.  Cold cereal has made an emergence this week, along with delicious fresh strawberries!  On two separate evenings, I felt so good that I wanted to cook a full meal.  One night we had spaghetti with olive oil and sun dried tomatoes, and then next was barbecued tofu, brown rice, and green peas – yum!

I have also developed an alarming fondness for Ginger-O cookies…

How I’m Feeling

Much MUCH better.  Last Thursday and Saturday were my two worst days of pregnancy to date, with almost constant sickness.  But ever since I have felt better and better each day.  I even headed back to the gym this week for some elliptical and weight lifting – felt great to be active again, and I can only hope it continues.

I’m also having a lot of trouble sleeping, which is weird considering how tired I am.  I find that I’m waking up a lot throughout the night and having strange dreams.  Even though I have no bump or physical signs of pregnancy yet, I’m just sort of uncomfortable all the time.  Luckily I am blessed with a great husband who gives me backrubs!

And last but certainly not least, my emotions are OUT of control!  We had another unexpected major life change pop up this week (more on that tomorrow), and I have been an anxious emotional mess.  These hormones are making it so that even the smallest things get the waterworks going.  Last night I started sobbing over a cat food commercial.  Seriously, it was for Fancy Feast.  Have you seen it – the “will you marry me” tag on the new kitten?  Sniff.

I’m so excited to finally be in the double digits, and close to the end of my first trimester – the weeks were craaaawling at the beginning, but they are already feeling like they are flying by!  Grow baby, grow!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 12:11 am

Yay for being in the double digits! That’s so cute that you bought a prune just for the occasion :)

Alaina     at 12:53 am

I love these posts :-)

Um, I’m not even pregnant and I got emotional at that Fancy Feast commercial.

Julia     at 1:14 am

Glad you’re starting to feel better! You’re gorgeous and glowing :)

Sanjeeta kk     at 3:48 am

Glad that I followed your Tweet and came down here..the site is something I am going to hooked upon! Love the Muffin you just posted before this post. Have a great time and enjoy your pregnancy. Take care.

Nicole @ Vegan in the House     at 6:31 am

Hi Emily,
If you have trouble sleeping, you might want to try having a cup of rooibos tea before bed. It’s supposed to calm the nervous system & help with insomnia. Might be worth a try.
I also have a recipe for a vegan rooibos tea cookie on my site if you start craving something sweet. http://veganinthehouse.com

Marika     at 7:13 am

LOL about you (and so many others too!) crying over the cat food commercial!

Erin @ Vie Balance     at 7:52 am

It is crazy the things that pregnancy can do to your tastes! I could not stand veggies either. The thought of salad was literally enough to turn my stomach. I also had cravings for things I did not like or never had before such as Coca-Cola and doughnuts. I even craved a McDonald’s hamburger one day but I told my baby that was going too far!!

skinny latte     at 8:04 am

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to YouTube the cat food commercial (I’m in the UK) – and I teared up at the end too!!!

I’m really enjoying the pregnancy posts – hopefully it’s something that is in the not too distant future for me and my husband too, and as someone who also has a very active healthy lifestyle I’m sure your tales and experiences will continue to be enlightening and inspiring.

Glad you’re feeling better! You and little prune baby are very cute :) Looking forward to hearing more x

Margo     at 9:09 am

Love the updates, and glad to hear you’re feeling a bit better!

I know exactly what commercial you’re talking about. If it makes you feel better, I was on the verge of tears, and I don’t have any pregnancy hormones flowing through my body. I’m just a sap.

Shannon the Photographer     at 9:34 am

you’re amazing. I’m sure that your major life change will go smoothly, and as usual you will adapt beautifully.

It’s wonderful to hear/read that your appetite is coming back! I’m so happy that you’re getting some good meals in now! And keeping them down! Congrats!

Orla     at 10:38 am

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better! I watched a cookery competition on TV her recently and the lady who won was pregnant at the time (no one knew and she didn’t disclose until it was over) but she was bang on with all of the palate and smell tests. She also said that she was super aware of how foods worked together because her sense of smell was so heightened. I later heard that this is a reaction to pregnancy that is natural and it is the body’s way of sniffing out (excuse the pun) foods that have gone bad and might be dangerous to the baby. I tell you, our bodies are amazing and will adapt to anything!
Anyway, delighted you are feeling better and you appetite is back!

Samantha     at 10:44 am

I am so glad you are posting all of your expereinces, and being so honest about it! My husband and I are in the very beginning stages of trying to concieve and I really like reading your blog! So thank you! : ) And I am so glad you are feeling better!

Kimberly @ Healthy Strides     at 11:12 am

Good news that you are feeling better!

When I was in my first trimester, it was around the holidays and the Folgers commercial – the one with the brother and sister – made me cry every time. I also cried just out of hunger and exhaustion. Still do sometimes. Oh well.

Angela (Oh She Glows)     at 11:28 am

I’m a little late to the party and just getting caught up, but I wanted to say a huge CONGRATS on your pregnancy! I’m so happy for you both! I love the weekly recaps…it is really interesting to hear about it first hand rather than from a book or manual.
Oh and I can cry at the drop of a hat (or cat commercial) during PMS so I can only imagine how I will be pregnant..lol.

Shayla     at 12:11 pm

Lovin these pregnancy posts! :)
Glad to hear you’re feeling better – I’ve heard that before about the strong sense of smell and for some women how bad their boobs hurt! Soon you’ll be in your 2nd trimester – the trimester I’ve heard to be the “honeymoon trimester” – where you feel your absolute best and are glowing! Can’t wait to see a baby bump soon :)

Jen     at 1:55 pm

I love cats so that fancy feast commercial, I loved and would lose it if a guy did that for me lol!
I remember when my friends mother was pregnant she was eating prunes and drinking prune juice like crazy because she couldnt go, so keep them around you never know.

Monica     at 10:41 am

Can’t wait to see your post about weight-gain comfort! It is one of the things I am really trying to wrap my head around since I was fourteen pounds away from goal when I found out I was pregnant. Eek!

I am so glad that you are feeling better! It is amazing how similar and yet unique an individual’s pregnancy experience is. I had the bloat and gain first and now the extreme sickness. I didn’t think the first trimester would be so uncomfortable, but everything just aches and the hormones are driving me crazy.

Meagan     at 7:56 pm

I’m not even PMSing or pregnant and that commercial made me cry too! lol

Week 30: My Pregnancy Journey. | Daily Garnish     at 1:16 pm