For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Second Prenatal Visit Surprises!

We have had such a fun morning!  Today was my long anticipated second prenatal appointment, and even though we had all good news at our last visit, I was still really nervous and anxious to hear that everything was still going well.

We decided back when we first found out I was pregnant, that we would go to all of the prenatal appointments together.  I love how interested and involved Casey has been in my pregnancy, and even though I was already obsessed with him, I think it’s brought us even closer together.  It is so much more fun to have him there with me so that we can experience it all together!

After we got to the doctor’s office, I weighed in and peed in a cup, and then we met with the doctor to talk about how things were going.  The first question he asked was whether or not we wanted to do the Down Syndrome test.  I have read a lot about genetic testing – what to do, if you should do it, what it means, etc.  After talking it over with Casey, we both agreed that we would like to have as much information as possible.

Whether or not to do genetic testing is such a personal and emotional decision.  For us, we wanted to make sure we were prepared.  If we did (or do) find out that our baby is at risk for any potential problems, it won’t affect anything we will do differently, but it will help us to plan for any additional needs that may arise down the road.  Being so far away from family in Seattle, we want to make sure we have the best support system possible for our little one!

I will admit that I was also further swayed in the direction of the Down Syndrome test when I heard there was an additional ultrasound involved.  Another chance to see the baby swimming around?  Yes please!

This was my first ultrasound done externally (the first one was done vaginally – that was kind of a shocker).  My stomach got all lubed up with cold goo, and the doctor pressed a probe onto my belly as the images appeared.  I know it sounds ridiculous since we’ve already heard the heartbeat and seen the first images, but I was still surprised to see the baby still growing in there!  Since I can’t feel it inside of me yet, I always feel a little worried that something might be off.  The pictures that he brought up on the screen were in 3D, and literally blew us away!!

Holy crap – that is a BABY!  We could see arms, legs, spinal bones, facial features, and more.  It was amaaaaaaazing, and we were both grinning ear to ear asking about all the different parts.  I also couldn’t believe how much the little one was MOVING!  So weird to think there is a party going on in there, but I can’t feel a thing.

The doctor did all the measurements for the Down Syndrome test and said everything looks healthy and perfect – what great news!  And then came the part that we were absolutely NOT expecting.  He asked us if we wanted to know the gender…

We were both so shocked!  I was under the impression that we wouldn’t know the gender until our 20 week appointment, and here I was at only 13 weeks being offered early information!  Immediately we both said YES!

We decided long ago that we would definitely find out the gender of the baby ahead of time.  I know that people typically feel very strongly about this on both sides of the argument.  For me personally, I think that knowing who to expect and planning for our specific little person will help me feel more connected to the baby, and prepared for his/her arrival.  I am a control freak and like to have as much information as possible!

So the doctor moved the scope around to show us this image of what is basically the baby sitting on top of the camera.  That blob on the left is a baby butt (so cute!), with a leg on the left, a leg on the right, and a big white spot in the middle.  Me being clueless STILL hadn’t caught on and said, “so what does that mean?”  The doctor told us that at this point, he could say with 85% certainty that we are having a BABY BOY

I was completely stunned, and we both just kept staring at each other and smiling.  I was absolutely convinced up until this point that I would have a girl, and I am SO so surprised to find out that there is a little boy in there.  To say that I am excited is such an understatement.  All of this suddenly feels very real, and I am already feeling very protective and madly in love with my little boy.  Of course the results are not 100% conclusive, and there is a chance that the image might actually be an umbilical cord, but it’s good enough for me for now!

I am one of three girls, my mom is one of three girls, my grandmother is one of two girls, and Casey’s mom is one of three girls!  I literally cannot believe my sister and I are BOTH having BOYS just three months apart.  How fun.

Finding out the (likely) gender was a huge surprise, and has left me beaming all morning.  But even better was seeing the amazing images of the little guy dancing around in there, with his strong heart beating away, and all his little arms and legs flailing about.  This feels real.  This is happening.

I am feeling so emotional and can’t stop thinking about all the possibilities.  Picturing Casey with a little baby boy in his arms literally brings me to tears.  We celebrated by spending the afternoon working at Buzz Bakery, where I enjoyed a peanut butter cookie the size of my face.

What an exciting and wonderful way to start our day!  I have finally stopped feeling sad about leaving Virginia, and am looking forward to getting to Seattle so that we can start building a new life to bring our baby into!  Time to start thinking about names and nursery themes…

Kate @ NaturaStride     at 9:48 am

WOW – what an excellent surprise. Congrats!
I love your blog and am truly enjoying hearing all about your pregnancy and how you plan to be healthy and active parents. Thanks!

Rachel Jacobs     at 9:56 am

Congratulations on the first born being a boy. As long as he is healthy, which from all pictures he appears to be. The way you blog all of this will be a wonderful memory down the road.

I hope so! It’s already fun for me to go back and read the earlier stuff. Everything changes so much from week to week, and I imagine it only changes more towards the end!

Elizabeth     at 10:21 am

Congrats on the growing baby boy! I remember well the ‘strangeness’ of my first pregnancy. It was a feeling I only had with my first pregnancy, yet I remember well the feeling–it is almost palpable to this day, with my little baby boy peanut being 14 now and my girls already being 12 and 8! My senses, my thoughts, my emotions during that first pregnancy created such an odd in-the-moment sense of existence. It was if the whole world around me stopped for a brief snapshot of time. Hard to explain unless you experience it. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with everything…the fun is just beginning.

Erin     at 10:23 am

So exciting, Emily! :D :D :D

fittingbackin     at 10:25 am

awww congratulations! So exciting that you and your sis are both having boys so close in age – lucky you and lucky cousins! :)

Alyson     at 10:32 am

Congratulations! So excited for you that everything is going well, and that your little lad is kicking around just as he should be. I can imagine how happy you are! :)

Alisa's Garden     at 11:00 am

Congratulations! It’s so exciting! We have another ultrasound today! Best wishes for a safe and healthy pregnancy!

Hope your ultrasound went well – saying a prayer for you guys!!

Carlee     at 11:18 am

Congratulations! My girl friend is having a baby in July and I am so excited for her. She is having a little girl. I can’t wait to buy lots of cute pink stuff for her. I don’t have kids of my own but everyone I talk to says that boys are easier.

Marie     at 11:23 am

Emily: Congratulations on such happy news! My husband and I just got back from our dr. appt. where we saw the heartbeat (!!!) for the first time on the U/S. I can’t quit smiling. I’m seven weeks today, it was such a relief to seeing it beating so strong. I’m happy to have your blog to know what to look forward to along the way. Thank you for sharing this experience.

Eeeeeeeeeeeek congratulations!!! I am so happy for you! :)

Congratulations!!!! How exciting :)

Shayla     at 12:30 pm

Congratulations!! So very exciting to have such happy news!! I actually teared up while reading this post…I can really feel your excitement and love for that baby through this post and it’s such a miracle what our bodies can do and to have a healthy baby boy growing inside you right now! It’s adorable how Casey is being through all this and I feel that’s how my husband will be too…I’m not even pregnant yet and it brings me to tears to think about him holding our baby someday….love the ultrasound pics and congrats again!!

lauren     at 1:17 pm

when i read this, i also had an ear to ear grin. isn’t it funny how something so human can touch a stranger on the internet? much love to the three of you (five of you!)

Brittany     at 8:27 pm

yayyyy! Congrats to you and Casey! How exciting =)

Haley     at 9:52 pm

YAY!!! SO even more EXCITED!!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Week 19: My Pregnancy Journey.     at 3:24 pm

[…] We have our first group prenatal appointment tomorrow (more on that to come), and I’m really excited to meet our group and see the doctors again!  I’m also counting the minutes until Friday’s ultrasound when we can finally get another visual of baby boy.  […]

Lindsey Grossman     at 4:55 pm

Congrats on having a boy! So exciting! If you’re looking for a fun baby name site, try Nameberry. Full of fun lists like Prepster Names for Boys and Boys’ Names Kids Consider Cool.

Getting to Know My Baby with Each Kick | Being Pregnant     at 1:05 pm

[…] the baby inside of me.  There were little things that made it feel a bit more real – like finding out it was a boy, or picking a name, but most of the time I just felt like the baby was still a bit of a mysterious […]

What's In a Name? Choosing One for Our Baby. | Being Pregnant     at 2:55 pm

[…] After finding out that our baby was a boy, Casey and I made a lot of lists and had a lot of ideas about what we liked, but we couldn’t seem to agree on any one name that felt like the right fit. We shared our top picks with family and friends, and suddenly we were inundated with advice, strong opinions, and new suggestions. […]

Week 40: My Pregnancy Journey. | Daily Garnish     at 4:55 pm

[…] bit of a relief to know that there truly is an end in sight, and that we will finally know our baby boy next week.  I was pretty emotional (and quite honestly very cranky) this morning, but I’m […]

running shoes