Roasted Butternut Squash & Black Bean Enchiladas (with Homemade Sauce!)

There is this awesome natural foods grocery store just a few blocks from my house that I run into from time to time to pick up something I need.  I never do my weekly shopping there because the produce tends to be astronomically priced.  A few weeks ago, week 30 to be exact, I was all ready to do my weekly pregnancy update when I realized I was lacking the required large butternut squash.

I headed down a few blocks to the store and grabbed the squash that looked the most baby-like (creepy, right?) and took it straight to the checkout counter.  “That will be $9.66” says my cashier.  I’m sorry, what?  For one squash?   Ten dollars seemed worth it to not have to get into the car and drive to another grocery store, and it was a HUGE squash, but I couldn’t help but think at the time, we will be making something extra delicious with this pricey squash

IMG_1955 (427x640)

Ten dollars turned out to be well worth it when this latest creation hit the dinner table.  But first, another short story!

I had it all set in my head that I wanted to make enchiladas, and so I made a point to grab a jar of enchilada sauce at Trader Joe’s during last week’s shopping trip.  And just like I always do when buying something new, I took a quick peek at the ingredients list just to make sure nothing scary was hiding in there.

One of the listed ingredients was “chicken-style base” which didn’t seem to list any actual animal products, but still threw me for a loop.  I found myself dialing Casey for his opinion, and as I rattled down the list of 20+ ingredients, I realized perhaps – vegetarian or not – this sauce might be better homemade.

And so a two-part recipe was born, delicious enchiladas with a made-from-scratch enchilada sauce!  Let’s start with the sauce, since that’s really what you’ll want to make first…

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

IMG_1967 (640x427)

(Adapted from Emeril LagassePrint this recipe!

Ingredients: (makes 3 cups of sauce)

• 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 12 oz tomato paste
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tsp (or 3 cloves) minced garlic
  • salt to taste

IMG_1964 (640x425)

Instructions:  Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Add flour and stir until completely dissolved and smooth.  Add chili powder and stir for 1 minute to cook.

IMG_1966 (640x427)

Add tomato paste, vegetable broth, onion powder, cumin, and garlic, and stir to combine.  Sauce should become thick!  Salt to taste, and then stir over medium heat to cook for a few minutes.

IMG_1968 (640x427)

Remove from heat and set aside to cool.  Serve along with…

Roasted Butternut Squash & Black Bean Enchiladas

IMG_2014 (640x427)

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:  (makes 6-8 large enchiladas)

• 1 large butternut squash
  • 2 small onions (or 1 medium onion)
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • salt to taste
  • 6-8 whole wheat tortillas
  • 1 batch homemade enchilada sauce (recipe above)

Instructions:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Then carefully peel, de-seed, and cube the butternut squash.

IMG_1956 (640x426)

Toss squash with a bit of oil and salt, and spread evenly on a sheet pan.  Roast for 45 minutes or until soft, stirring once during cooking.

IMG_1958 (640x420)

While squash is cooking, this might be a good time to make your sauce!  The squash should be slightly browned and very soft when finished.

IMG_1971 (640x427)

Transfer cubes to a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork.

IMG_1973 (640x427)

Set squash aside to cool.  Dice onions and sauté until brown and soft.  Add beans and cook for a minute or two until warmed.

IMG_1974 (640x427)

Transfer beans and onions to the squash bowl, and then season with spices and salt.  Spread 1 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish.  Scoop squash filling evenly onto tortillas and then loosely roll…

IMG_1981 (640x422) IMG_1975 (640x418)IMG_1976 (640x423) IMG_1977 (640x426)

Place filled tortillas seam side down in the baking dish.

IMG_1978 (427x640)

Top tortillas with the remainder of the enchilada sauce.  Make sure to use a spatula to get the sauce all around the sides of the pan and in between each tortilla!

IMG_1986 (640x427)

Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  If you prefer, you can also top with cheese before baking, but we opted to eat ours naked.

IMG_2014 (640x427)

Serve with a side of your favorite salsa for dipping.  I chose salsa verde, mmmmm.

IMG_2018 (640x427)

Roasting the butternut squash brings out a wonderful caramelized flavor, that when combined with onions, beans, and spices – make this dish a delicious addition to your dinner menu.

IMG_2022 (640x427)

Enjoy!

Stephanie     at 1:24 pm

This sounds awesome, I am excited to try it out!

sara @ real fun food     at 1:26 pm

Enchiladas are my favorite!! I never would have thought to put squash in it, but I’ll definitely trust you because all your recipes are fantastic!

Nicole     at 1:29 pm

Oh man, I wish this recipe would have been up a few days ago! I have all these ingredients on hand and it looks great! Much better than the butternut squash I roasted and been eating plain…I’m just not a fan. Next time!

Ann     at 1:32 pm

Nearly $10 for butternut?! I scoop it up in the winter when it’s .49 a pound, but I understand the need for artistic purposes. I will certainly be bookmarking this recipe, looks delish! Thank you for sharing the enchilada sauce recipe, I knew it couldn’t be hard to make, and didn’t like that the second ingredient in the store bought is sugar, but hadn’t bothered to research. Now I don’t have to!

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl     at 1:34 pm

These look super yummy! Bsquash and sweet potato go SO well with black beans, so i’m sure the enchilada combo was a major hit! The fact that the sauce is homemade is an extra special touch as well.

Just bought my first acorn squash at the farmer’s market the other day- yay for fall! Bring on the pumpkin :)

Gina (Yogattude)     at 1:35 pm

I once bout a $12 kombucha…from Whole Foods. I vowed to always buy squash at the market or TJs! Your recipe sounds delish! I love the butternut/black bean combo!

Gina (Yogattude) Reply:

*kabocha (squash, not the drink!!)

Haha I wondered how much Kombucha you were buying for $12! Hoped it was a gallon. :)

Janet Oberholtzer     at 1:35 pm

Looks so good!
I will be making this recipe as soon as butternut squash are in season in PA … which will be in about a month or so.
Thanks!

Girl In The Pink     at 1:37 pm

$10 for a squash!? That is nutty! But your dinner looks delicious, I am excited to try the sauce recipe, I love enchiladas but have never made my own sauce!

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday     at 1:39 pm

I would never pay that much for squash. I’d just save the recipe for the fall when I can get a squash for 99 cents.

I had no idea until I got it to the register. Robbery!

Lisa     at 1:39 pm

This looks fantastic! I attempted to make a pumpkin enchilada recipe once and it was a massive fail. I think the pumpkin puree I made was too watery.

Tiffany     at 1:40 pm

Umm this sounds so yummy! Will have to try this!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 1:41 pm

Look delicious! I make a mean Sweet Potato/Black Bean Enchilada Verde, so this would be a nice change with squash and red sauce… I’ll definitely try this!

~

Meaghen     at 1:43 pm

That seems very wasteful and frivilous to spent $10 on a squash. While I can appreciate you want a squash for your weekly photos, I don’t think it was worth it at all to spend $10 on a squash when you could have driven a short distance to another store and bought one for a quarter of the price. While I’m well aware that I waste money at times too, it seems like a very silly excuse to spend that much on one vegetable, especially when there is no way it would have cost you that much in gas to go to another store.

Between gas and time spent heading to another store, it was worth it to me! I am a hardcore grocery budget-er, and we never waste food, so this really wasn’t a big deal.

Mollie Reply:

relax meagan! emily could have chosen to not tell us the price at all. :)

Meaghen Reply:

Relax? Who said I wasn’t relaxed? I only saw something that I didn’t agree with decided to voice by opinion in what I thought was a respectful, non-attacking way. Emily is a big girl and also responded in a respectful way.

You are the one that had to come to Emily’s defense with a point that makes no sense at all just because someone chose to disagree with her. Perhaps you are the one who maybe needs to relax.

Arnold Reply:

Meaghen, read your comment. Wasteful, frivolous and silly do not qualify as “non-attacking” words in most people’s minds.

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups     at 1:44 pm

Looks so yummy! Hopefully the price of squash will go down in the fall and winter months. Plus that squash looks like it could give you enough “meat” to feed you for days!

Brooke @ Veggie Table     at 1:48 pm

10 dollar squash – that is wild! I’ve made a tempeh and veggie enchilada with homemade black bean sauce and it was a hit around the dining table – I’ll definitely be trying your version immediately! Thanks for sharing!

That sounds delicious too!

Aimee     at 1:49 pm

Yum! We made Mama Pea’s roasted veg & kale soup one night and had some kale, sweet potatoes and black beans left over– what’d we make? Enchiladas! I love the sweetness from the squash/sweet potatoes and they taste just as hearty as any meat-based dish might. Plus, way healthier!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 1:58 pm

I had no idea how easy it was to make enchilada sauce, I’ll definitely use your recipe next time. I cannot believe the price of that squash! Unless someone was hired specifically to sing it a lullaby every night while it was growing, I just can’t account for it being $10.

Yeah that store is very overpriced in general!

Kathryn @ Flopoodle     at 2:05 pm

I’ve definitely done that before too where I freak out at the ingredients list, but I usually ditch the idea all together. Love this recipe, so creative…and SO worth the $10 squash ;)

Sarah @ w30     at 2:11 pm

YUM! Can’t wait to try this! By the way, I haven’t commented yet, but found your blog about a month ago and have been slowly going through the archives. Love your blog and story, Emily! I’ve especially found your race recaps helpful when I’m lacking on motivation to run. So thanks! :) And since this is almost like a “catch-up” comment: congrats on your baby and love the nursury!!

So glad you are enjoying the blog! :)

Meredith Snyder     at 2:23 pm

Those look amazing! Home-made anything is always better than store-bought. Especially since you noticed the possibility of an animal product in the item at the store. Eeek! A good reminder to always check the ingredients.

Kath     at 2:32 pm

I always want to make enchiladas – I don’t think I ever have!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous     at 2:39 pm

This looks delicious!!!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 2:40 pm

That is an insane amount of $ for a squash! But, the recipe looks delicious. :)

Kelly     at 2:42 pm

The recipe looks very yummy – but $10 for a squash! I think I would have just asked a passing customer to take a picture of me with the squash in the store and not purchased it, ha ha.

Liz     at 2:43 pm

Thanks for the enchilada sauce recipe. I always HATE buying the sauce – if not because of the ingredients, then because of the sodium content.

Haley     at 2:46 pm

Looks delicious! Though I must say that your apron covered belly had an adorable cameo!!

Haha thanks!

Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life     at 2:53 pm

Yum! That homemade sauce saounds delicious!

Noelle     at 2:53 pm

Ha ha ha. wow, $10 for a sqaush. I paid 2 bucks for mine today. I totally would nothave been able to pay for that one. So the sauce did not give you acid reflux? I try anything tomato based now and I get severe heartburn. GOod looking recipe though!

Kristen, Sweetly     at 2:58 pm

oh my, those look ridiculous!

i think i’ve joined the check-ingredients-like-a-madwoman group… i went to the dressing aisle a few weeks ago to pick up a light balsamic vinaigrette, and picked up two just to compare. i thought i knew which one i wanted, and then i found things like fish oil, fish something-else… i can’t remember what it was, but i assume it was a thickener of sorts. why would you even consider doing that to an unassuming product like oil and vinegar dressing?? it was pretty sad for me. the other dressing was excellent, though.

That drives me crazy!!

Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight     at 3:45 pm

This looks sooooo goooood!!!

Lauren @ Reject the Premise     at 3:47 pm

Hahaha I have definitely had things like $10 squash happen to me too! And I totally understand occasionally just going with it.
I would have been suspicious of the chicken-style too.
This recipe looks great — I just made your zucchini pasta with mushroom + tomato sauce the other day. So freaking good. :)

Alexa @ Simple Eats     at 3:47 pm

Yum! Almost sounds like a cross between a summer and a fall dish. Love!

Kristina     at 3:52 pm

Yikes! That is a pricey squash!
Also, thanks so much for the recipe! I’ve been meaning to make enchiladas – I love TJ’s roasted veggie enchiladas, so I might add corn to mine. Thanks for the recipe!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 3:55 pm

This looks SO good! *drool*

Ashley     at 3:59 pm

I love that this doesn’t have cheese in it, I wouldn’t have been daring enough to try an enchilada without it on my own, but I’m going to have to try this recipe. Do you have a recommendation on shells? I feel like I spend 20 minutes checking labels of the shells everytime I go to the store. As soon as I find an brand that is realatively healthy, it seems to not be there again :(

I used Ezekial sprouted tortillas!

Jess @ thejesspress     at 4:10 pm

Just made enchiladas last week! And we always make the sauce (no enchilada sauce exists on the grocery shelves here anyways…) and it is pretty easy!

I think I paid 8€ for a teeeeny bottle of organic pure cranberry juice during my last UTI panic attack… France is not the place for cranberries or enchiladas :(

Heather @ Get healthy with heather     at 4:29 pm

This sounds amazing! I haven’t had butternut squash in sub a long time. Hopefully I can find one a little cheaper than 10 bucks!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 4:43 pm

oh, this looks great. i just had butternut squash soup last week…so good! i’ll have to try this. :)

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen     at 4:43 pm

These look so, so delicious! I’ve never had butternut squash and black beans together in a recipe, but my mom made some awesome black bean and sweet potato burritos once that probably have a similar taste.

That was one expensive squash…I hate the sticker shock that comes with fresh produce…I paid $12 for a bag of cherries the other day. Yikes.

Marie@feedingfive     at 5:35 pm

I knew that butternut squash would be put to good use. Looks like a delicious recipe. Roasting squash makes it so mouth-watering.

Coco     at 5:49 pm

This looks great. My boyfriend loves enchiladas so I will have to try this soon. That is a pricey squash though!

Michaela     at 5:59 pm

this looks delicious! the combo of butternut squash and beans is always a hit.
but boy, I cannot believe how much you paid for that baby!!!!!!!!!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 6:55 pm

Delicious! I love how almost all your recipes have ingredients that can be easily subbed out for what I currently have in my kitchen <3

Ami@dashofcurry.com     at 6:56 pm

I did the same thing you did when I picked up enchilada sauce at TJ’s– I read the ingredients and put it back on the shelf! Thanks for demystifying enchilada sauce– it looks easy enough to make! Also, your recipe, as usual, looks delicious, and I truly wish I could pull it through the screen right now and devour it!!!

Melissa {west coast nest}     at 6:57 pm

Thank-you for the recipes!! I too shy away from store-bought enchilada sauce due to all the extra (unnecessary!) junk they put in it. I can’t wait to make this!

Ashley     at 6:57 pm

If I can find butternut squash in the store, I putting this on the menu plan for next week! My oh my, that looks amazing!

Army Amy*     at 6:58 pm

That looks delicious and so fancy!*

Marci     at 6:58 pm

My squash are just about ready in the garden. Perfect timing.

Balancing Sylvia     at 7:00 pm

Can’t believe either how much that squash was but this sounds so delicious! I can’t wait to make it. Thanks so much Emily!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 7:28 pm

I would have cried at a $10 squash. This looks awesome. I had a squash quesadilla once and it was delicious. I will have try this out; I love Mexican food.

Kelly     at 7:30 pm

Yum. I love butternut squash and having another way to cook it!

Melissa     at 8:16 pm

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it!

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food     at 8:51 pm

The enchiladas look amazing!

Now I just need to tell my husband there is meat in there, hehe.

Brittany     at 8:55 pm

Oh my gosh! I’m drooling!!

Luv What You Do     at 9:05 pm

I LOVE butternut squash. You can also make a great bread with it…surprising but I like it just as much as pumpkin bread.

Thanks for the recipe. I have been wanting to make enchiladas and i am happy to find a ‘cleaner’ version.

Lauren     at 9:16 pm

These sound (and look) absolutely wonderful!! I am a total enchilada girl so these are perfect!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 9:20 pm

Good job making the best out of your $10 squash. This recipe looks amazing. I’ve been craving Mexican like crazy lately, so this is going to have to go on my meal plan soon!

Ayelet     at 9:26 pm

This recipe looks awesome, can’t wait to try when squash is in season. Quick question…is there any reason why you couldn’t roast the squash in the peal, and the scrape it out after–it just seems that this would be easier and take less time.

You can roast the squash in the peel, but it won’t really get the same caramelized flavor and browning as it would cubed. But it will still work!

Shaya (Eye Girl Eats)     at 10:16 pm

A $10 squash is kind of crazy! I feel like at that price it should be some sort of blue-ribbon winner.

The enchiladas look delicious– but your totally adorable apron steals the show ;)

Laura @ Backstage Pass     at 10:21 pm

What a great recipe for heading into autumn! This one is bookmarked, for sure :-)

christine     at 12:11 am

ok this recipe is going on my fall to make list. i love b-nut squash. but you poor thing $10??? even at our local organic stands I’ve never paid more than $2 for one. they are incredibly easy to grow, so I can’t see justification for that price, unless there was a golden ticket inside. :|

lee     at 12:25 am

This sounds delicious! I especially like how easy the enchilada sauce is…thanks for the reminder that homemade sauces aren’t as difficult as we often try to convince ourselves they will be. =)

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 7:28 am

I cannot eat squash due to a food sensitivity. Would sweet potatoes work as a good substitute? If not what else do you suggest? Thanks!

Sweet potatoes would be fine!

Kelly     at 9:39 am

Wow this looks incredible, I’m SO glad I found your blog!! New follower! xoxo

Emily     at 10:05 am

I’ve always wondered how difficult it would be to make my own enchilada sauce and why recipes always have me buying it in a can…I’m excited to try this recipe! Thanks Emily!

Jen     at 10:32 am

hey emily-

looks incredible! but i have to ask… how long did this take to make including the sauce? i really wanna make it but seems like it would take me the entire day. also, can i omit the flour in the sauce?

thanks!

A little over an hour from start to finish? You can roast the squash at any point during the day – just throw it in the oven!

Jen Reply:

thanks so much for responding!… what about the flour?

nicole @ pink string & green beans     at 11:11 am

One thing about going vegan (&gf) that I always missed was enchiladas when eating out. Sub out the flour for a different flour (& use different wraps, brown rice maybe) & this could work. I have never used butternut squash (only SP) but this sounds amazing.

Lauren     at 11:16 am

i REALLY want to try making this recipe. sounds amazing! do you have a recommendation for an alternative to tomato paste? the ones i’ve seen contain sugar and i can’t have sugar. :(

Jesse     at 11:49 am

this will be made within the next week. i’m just hoping my trader joes has the pre cut butternut squash, i’m a wus about chopping up that big guy:)

Colleen     at 11:53 am

This recipe looks so delicious.
You should think about one day adding your recipes from your summer on the farm to your recipage, if it’s not too much trouble. I had to dig a little bit to find one of them which I made last year and knew was delicious (quinoa zucchini boats).

allpointswhole     at 12:06 pm

That looks so good. I seriously have to make it

Anne     at 1:53 pm

Sometimes I pay a lot for organic products (fruits/vegetables) and to be honest I don’t care cause it’s worth it, has a 99% vegetarian, I realise that I save a lot by not buying meet anyway… Seems like a really interesting recipe and original !

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family     at 2:13 pm

Those look fantastic, I love that your belly is poking into one of the shots (Baby C just wanting to get in on the action).
However I am STUNNED the squash was $10…

brittany     at 2:14 pm

this is kind of off topic- but i cant find trader joes peanut flour anymore! do you know if they discontinued or is it just mine?!

It is discontinued. :(

Becca     at 9:14 pm

I just made this recipe….at first I thought it looked almost too simple but it was totally full of flavor!! My friend actually equated the satisfying texture with meat! I followed the recipe and topped with a little crumbled cotija cheese before baking and some scallions and cilantro after. Really loved how the cinnamon and savory spices played together. Cannot wait for the leftovers!!!

Yay glad you enjoyed it!

Willow @ My Own Trail     at 9:54 pm

YUM! While I’m excited for the enchilada recipe, I’m actually most excited about the sauce recipe. I always cringe at the ingredient list on the back of the enchilada sauce bottle, but I have never attempted to make my own before. Now that I see how easy it is, I have no excuse. Thanks for the motivation.

mi-an d.     at 10:50 pm

total sabotage! 10 butternut squash! but on the bright side, you made a great dish!! can’t wait to try it out! i too make my own enchilada sauce. much better and tastier…canned ones have some weird names on the ingredients list usually!

Maryann     at 8:57 am

Thank you for this delicious looking recipe I will be making it soon. Probably when Irene passes buy us on Sunday.
Lancaster CO PA Gal

amber     at 7:54 pm

I made this recipe for dinner tonight and I can honestly say that these were the best enchiladas that I have ever eaten. EVER!!! Thank you!

Angela C     at 1:08 am

What kind of wheat tortillas do you use? They look delicious!! (Sorry if someone else already asked this. I went through a few of the comments but there were so many!)

Tiffany     at 3:36 am

I made this for dinner tonight. Went all out and even made homemade tortillas! Thank you for this recipe, it was delish! :D

Ann-Marie     at 2:16 pm

Tried your recipe last night- came out amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!

amy     at 5:19 pm

sounds so good!! i love enchiladas, definitely trying this!

Laura     at 4:40 pm

I love making enchiladas because they are quick and so versatile. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Alex @ fightcancerwithfood     at 4:59 am

Have been looking for an enchilada recipe to try out for a while seeing as I’ve *whispers* never actually tried them before!! This one looks seriously good :) Do enchilada leftovers freeze okay?

I haven’t tried freezing them, but I would think so!

Alice     at 3:31 pm

thanks for the recipe! i just made them tonight using your recipe for the sauce and used other enchilada fillings, but the sauce was absolutely delicioso!

Autumn Tao     at 5:40 am

Emily, you have done it again!! I don’t know how many of your recipes I have made now!!

Yesterday I made the ench. sauce, but cut back on tom. paste b/c I didn’t purchase enough. I like the sauce thinner anyhow and will make it the same way in the future. I cut back by half if you are curious :)

I also made enchiladas and used your spice mix to saute the onion and then add the black beans. However, I used SoyCurls, sauteed in nooch, Braggs, onion powder, chili powder, and salt. I put both inside WW TrJoe’s tortillas and topped with Nacho Daiya. They were a huge hit at the family gathering my husband and I have on the first Friday of each month. I only cook vegan entrees (as a staunch vegan!), so I am always stoked when the fam. loves my, ahem your, meals.

Thanks again Mama.
Namaste

Hurrah! Glad it was a success!! :)

Carolyn     at 10:14 am

I made this last night for my hubbie….it is AMAZING!!!!!!!! Seriously the best enchilada sauce….will never look at butternut squash the same. THANK YOU!

Yesss! So glad you guys liked it! :)

amanda     at 4:42 pm

oh this is in the oven right now and my husband and I are so excited!! thanks so much for this awesome vegan recipe!

amanda Reply:

hi, i just wanted to tell you these are delicious! and we couldn’t stop eating the enchilada sauce. yum

bein good to me     at 9:05 pm

Okay, wow. These taste as amazing as they look.
THANK YOU! :)
-Lisa

Yay! Thanks for stopping back to let me know. :)

three things thursday | What Katie Said     at 5:02 am

[...] 3. Speaking of fall, we made our first “fall” dinner last night! Emily’s Roasted Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas! [...]

Jessica     at 12:15 pm

I just made this sauce yesterday for a meal later this week and love it! I can’t wait to actually have it with the enchichaladas.

Jessica Reply:

WOW! I should have looked at what I was writing (enchiladas)lol

Yum!! Glad you liked it!

Lorinda @ Waisting Away     at 9:08 pm

I was lucky to receive a bounty of free squash from my mother in law so was able to give this recipe a try yesterday–it was fantastic!! My husband had to be held back! :-)

Jenn     at 2:49 pm

I made these today, and they turned out great! I subbed corn tortillas for the flour (since that just seems like what enchiladas should use), used pumpkin instead of butternut squash, and added some heat. It turned out fabulous. I think this is THE answer to vegan enchiladas. I usually do roasted vegetable, but I like them better with cheese. I don’t think cheese would have added anything to this!

kristin     at 4:14 pm

made these tonight – they were amazinggggggggggg!!!

Kristilyn     at 5:26 pm

I made these tonight and absolutely loved them!!! My husband isn’t fond of butternut squash, so that just means more leftovers for me. :-)

AndieCard     at 6:51 am

New to your blog and loving it!

Making this tonight but have a question: If I want to bypass the peeling/cutting process and purchase the cubed/bagged butternut squash at TJ’s, do you think 1 bag is enough? Thx.

AndieCard Reply:

Update: Used 2 bags and they were perfect. Thanks for the recipe — we’ll never buy enchilada sauce again after making it at home!

Missy     at 4:50 pm

I tried your Enchilada sauce this weekend and it was a huge hit! I made the recipe exactly as you wrote but instead of stove top, I made it in our Vitamix blender. Worked perfectly! My husband told me it was fresh, rich and delish. His co-workers thought it smelled great too!! Thanks for a wonderful recipe!

marian     at 1:00 pm

these were AMAZING! I made them for a holiday party and they were a hit, with vegans, vegetarians, and omnis alike. thank you for another delicious and easy recipe!

amanda     at 2:38 am

oh man. i am making this right now. i just found butternut squash in Spain and knew exactly what I had to make. thank you so much for this recipe!

chef dhanushka     at 5:17 am

send me this photo for my mail

Elena     at 2:23 pm

I have made this umpteen times since it was first posted, and it gets rave reviews from everyone I share it with each time. Hands down my favorite recipe of yours, Emily, and that is saying something!

Vegetarian Beer Dinner | veg:ology     at 7:00 pm

[...] homemade sauce absolutely made the enchiladas. The recipe is by Emily from Daily Garnish and you must try [...]

Linda     at 5:16 am

Bought butternut squash at our local farmers market and then found your recipe! Loved making the enchilada sauce from scratch. We love chipoltel chili powder for its smoky taste so I did 2.5 T chili powder and 1/2 T chipoltel powder. We like corn tortillas but they are hard to roll into enchiladas so I layered them over the enchilada sauce, spread out the squash mixture, and added another layer or tortillas and then the sauce. Sliced perfectly into squares for serving.
Love your blog!!

Sarah     at 5:40 pm

I made these tonight. They were so, so good. I’m excited about eating the leftovers. And I love that I now know that Mexican food can be excellent without cheese (because I’m trying to stay away from dairy as much as possible).

Awesome – thanks for telling me!

Shelly     at 4:48 pm

These are going into the regular rotation! Yum!

3 hour kitchen project « coconut hobo     at 12:18 am

[...] inspiration from: Daily Garnish, How Sweet It Is, Sprouted [...]

Erica     at 9:21 am

Just purchased all the ingredients. Can’t wait for dinner tonight

Vegetarian Recipes that Meat Eaters Will Love | Rebel Dietitian     at 2:04 pm

[...] made this recipe last year and was impressed by its flavor and ease. It was very satisfying, keeping me full for [...]

Homemade Baked (not Fried) Whole-Wheat Tortillas | The Little Red Kitchen     at 6:09 pm

[...] beauties were slated for some butternut squash enchiladas, with black beans and sauteed onions. I didn’t make my own sauce this time, but it’s on [...]