Butternut Squash and Cranberry Maple Millet.

I may be over a month early, but I can already tell you that this dish will be on my Thanksgiving table this year.  It’s still early October, and already my countertop is overflowing with winter squashes – I can’t help myself.  This recipe combines roasted butternut squash with crunchy millet, sweet cranberries, and a delicious maple balsamic dressing that is the perfect compliment.  This is one of my favorite recipes to date!

Butternut Squash and Cranberry Maple Millet

Print this recipe!

Ingredients: (serves 6-8)

• 1.5 cups dry millet
  • 4.5 cups water
  • 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • salt to taste

For the dressing:

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Instructions:  Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F.  Peel and cube a large butternut squash.  Then toss with olive oil and salt and spread in a single layer on a sheet pan.  Pop it into the oven and roast for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking.

While the squash is roasting, cook your millet.  I cooked mine in my rice cooker, but you can just as easily cook it on the stovetop.  Combine 1.5 cups dry millet with 4.5 cups water, and simmer until all water is absorbed and the millet is cooked.

Once cooked, make sure to let it cool before fluffing with a fork.  This recipe works best with millet that has cooled for at least 20 minutes before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.

By the time your millet cooks and cools, the butternut squash should be just about ready.

In a small dish, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.

With everything ready, add millet, squash, and dried cranberries (I use orange-cranberries from Trader Joe’s!) to a large mixing bowl.  Add dressing and stir well to combine all ingredients.  Finish with salt seasoned to taste!

Like I said before, this dish is practically begging to be served at Thanksgiving.  Or perhaps at my dinner table tonight…

While millet is certainly my grain of preference, you could definitely try swapping it out for whatever yours might be.  I’m sure other varieties of squash would taste good as well.  The sweeter the better!  I also think that roasting the squash seeds and sprinkling on top would make for a delicious crunchy garnish.  Unfortunately, I didn’t come up with that idea until mine were in the trashcan, but you should definitely try it with yours.

Now that I have this delicious fall dish waiting for me in my kitchen, the only thing missing from my perfect October weekend is finding a good place to go apple picking in Seattle…

Happy weekend – enjoy!

——————————————————————————————————————————————-

In other food news, I found out this week that I have been nominated for two Foodbuzz Awards this year!  I am completely shocked, and most definitely honored.  I’m nominated for Best General Cooking Blog and Best Veg Blog –if you feel like I am a good fit for either of these, I’d love your vote!

n-bestgeneralcooking      n-bestvegblog

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your continued support.

Aly     at 4:21 pm

Wow! This looks deeelish! I bet pepitas would be great on top for crunch. I know what’s for dinner tomorrow :)

By the way, you look beautiful. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

mi-an d.     at 4:33 pm

yuumy!! i actually just made a similar dish last week. i made fennel butternut squash chunky soup, then prepped the millet, then i mixed both together, topped with leftover roasted butternut squash, dried cranberries and goatcheese! so good! sorry if i’m being repetitive! :)

Jamie @ FoodinRealLife     at 4:34 pm

That looks delicious and I love the colors! You are so deserving of both awards by the way- I truly enjoy reading your blog.

Thank you so much! :)

Lee     at 4:37 pm

On to my Pinterest “good for dinner parties” board it goes.

You’ve got my vote!

Thanks, Lee!

Madeline     at 4:39 pm

Oh.my.goodness. I am making this ASAP.

Krystina (Organically Me)     at 4:46 pm

Perfect fall recipe. Maple balsamic sounds heavenly. :)

Kathryn @ Flopoodle     at 4:50 pm

I can’t get enough of cranberries recently so I just might have to make this over the weekend. :)

Congrats on the well-deserved nominations! I love your blog and I’m definitely voting for you!

Thank you so so much!

marie     at 5:08 pm

Well, it IS Canadian Thanksgiving this Monday…so it does fall right on time.

Ahh I had no idea! Just in time. :) And Happy Thanksgiving!

Kristin     at 5:08 pm

Yummo! I voted for both of your nominations! And Cailtin’s HTP :) I love u both!!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga     at 5:35 pm

Congrats on your nominations..when I saw your name in two categories, I was so happy for you!

And every time I open my google reader and see a post from you, I really think it’s a “I had a baby and we’re doing great” post :)

Any.day.now.

Thanks Averie! Any day now indeed.

Lauren     at 5:43 pm

Okay, I need to try millet. It’s one of the only grains that I haven’t tried yet and it’s killing me.

Girl you are MISSING OUT. Go get some millet stat!

Lindsay @ biking before bed     at 5:46 pm

That dressing looks delicious. I just bought some new maple syrup I need to try out:) Congrats you both your nominations.

Jo     at 5:57 pm

This looks awesome. Am headed to the market to get the ingredients tomorrow… not entirely sure what the right squash is in Spanish but surprises are good!
I voted – love your site and recipes! The nominations are well deserved.

Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes     at 6:09 pm

Already voted for you my dear…:-)

Lou     at 6:20 pm

yummo. such a great combination; sweet, mustardy, vinegary… definitely trying this recipe out! Long time reader – first comment – have put my votes in for you, congrats – you totally deserve it. Hope you are feeling well and drinking LOTS of raspberry leaf tea (i swore by it during my pregnancy and labour!)

Thanks Lou! :) Drinking raspberry tea as we speak…

Christine     at 6:41 pm

It’s just in time for Canadian Thanksgiving… I was wondering what to take to my mom’s place for me to eat – this is it!! Thanks for keeping us up to date with everything.
PS votes are in :)

Perfect timing! Hope your family enjoys it. :) Thanks for the votes!

Debra     at 6:48 pm

Google Merritt Apple Farm in Skagit County. It is about an hour north of where you live. They have
U-pick apples. It is beautiful up here…and it is a pretty drive to get here!

Awesome – thanks for the tip!!

Christina @ Just Running     at 7:27 pm

I never vote for people, but I really like your blog, and I believe you’re a Cincinnati native. You’ve got my votes!

Thanks Christina! Most definitely a Cincinnati native, and very proud of it. :)

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl     at 7:52 pm

You’re awesome- I’m always in for a treat when I visit your endlessly creative blog :) Thanks for providing such wonderful recipes that I love!
Totally voted for you last month- not a doubt in my mind!

Thanks Emilia! :)

Marlina     at 9:53 pm

Trying this tomorrow with a quinoa/rice mixture instead of the millet ! Can’t wait :) thanks !

Hope you like it!

Marlina Reply:

SOOO good !! I used what I had on hand (currants) and it still turned out super yummy! Thanks again :)

Brittany     at 11:08 pm

Congrats on the nominations!!! Also, this recipe looks so good! I am definitley going to try it!

Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance     at 11:50 pm

Ooh, I’ve never had millet and I’m trying to work on squash cooking. This looks like the best way to break into both worlds!
Congrats on the nominations as well!

Chrissy (The New Me)     at 4:31 am

I just bought millet for the first time yesterday at my co-op, AND I’ve been craving butternut squash. I’m putting this on the menu, STAT. Also, just wanted to say that your recipes have been excellent lately! I made the sweet potato and lentil chili in my crock pot and it was to die for. I even posted the link on Facebook and two other friends made it and agreed. Well done!

Thanks Chrissy! I’ve had a lot of fun in the kitchen these past few months. It’s nice to finally have my groove back after a few months of feeling so ill. :)

Tammy     at 4:58 am

Oh my goodness Emily – this looks delicious. I am definitely going to try this soon with plans of adding this to Thanksgiving as well. I especially love that you added dried cranberries to it. Thank you for all the cooking you are doing while nesting!

You are most welcome!

Michaela     at 5:06 am

This is so good! I love combining salty and sweet and always add dried or fresh fruit to a salad! I could totally see sunflower seeds in this dish, too :)
I was in a baking mood yesterday and my mum was like “you know, I really wouldn´t mind if you would bake those delicious banana chocolate chip cookies” ;) She was talking about your recipe :)

Awww I wouldn’t mind if someone made those for me either. I wish we had more! :)

Elisabeth     at 5:53 am

Congratulations on your nominations! Several of my favorite blogs were nominated for awards this year (fortunately in different categories ;) ) and I think they all deserve to win. Good luck!

Anne     at 6:57 am

Already voted for you days ago !

Lu     at 7:10 am

Yum! I have a butternut squash just screaming for this recipe. Do you use the same measurement of water and millet in the rice cooker?

Yep, same ratio, and cooked it on quick cooking.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 7:24 am

That looks good! My friends gave me a butt load of Butternut Squash and I wasn’t sure what to do with it, now I know. Thanks for posting!

Amber K     at 9:30 am

Congratulations on the nominations! This dish does scream Thanksgiving to me. Even though I dislike pretty much every ingredient, I’m still tempted to bring it to dinner because I know so many people who would love it!

Jen     at 10:29 am

Just made this and loved it!! U gave me a reason to finally try the millet that’s been sitting in my cupboard for ages. Thank you!!

Yay! Thanks for letting me know. We are polishing off the leftovers for dinner tonight.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 10:32 am

I have definitely already voted for you. :)

And while I can hardly imagine thinking of Thanksgiving yet, this makes me wish it was here already.

Jules     at 10:40 am

Can’t wait to make this one! Totally scored on squash the other night at $.49/lb! and have only made risotto. Making this and maybe your enchiladas this week!

Brooke     at 1:13 pm

You arent a month early over here in ontario, canada!! You are right on time, thanksgiving weekend!! Adding this to the menu :) Thank you, and staying tuned for the arrival of Baby C, best wishes!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!! :)

Brooke     at 1:14 pm

P.S. My votes are in!!!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 2:43 pm

Emily this looks SO delicious! I wonder, could you use sweet potato if you wanted? Probably. Also thank you so much for not assuming that we all have rice cookers, but giving us regular stove top instructions. Everyone doesn’t have all of the fancy appliances and it’s frustrating when some recipes are presented with no alternatives. Thank you, Thank you! I think I’ll give it a try for Thanksgiving also!

Sure thing – it’s super easy on the stovetop too. You can definitely use sweet potato – yum!

Jean Hansen     at 2:54 pm

Emily,
This looks fabulous…do you serve it hot, warm or chilled? Thanks.

We ate ours at room temperature. I think it’s best either warm or hot!

Jean Hansen Reply:

Thanks…I’m gonna try it this week;-)

bitt     at 4:10 pm

Just made this tonight and everyone really liked it. I used quinoa because it was what we had on hand. I was lucky to have a butternut squash too just waiting for an innovative recipe. My only problem was the oil and vinegar seperated a bit and if you have any tricks to keep that from happening, I’d sure appreciate it.

Glad to hear everyone likes it! Did the dressing separate IN the salad? I’m not sure how that would happen. I’m sorry! I had to whisk for a while to get it totally combined before pouring it on. Balsamic and oil are a tough emulsion!

bitt Reply:

no not in the salad. i just meant if i were to keep the dressing for something else. we had some extra. thanks!

Kalee @ On A Pretty Plate     at 5:21 pm

This looks like the perfect fall dish! I have a butternut squash waiting on me in the kitchen and I cannot wait to try your recipe this week!

Carolyn@ LivingOriental     at 6:51 pm

Looks delicious! Love the new fall recipes :)

Rachel     at 7:00 pm

I made this, but the millet ended up being very mushy, not anything like the photo. I’m assuming I used too much water, but followed the recipe. Any thoughts?

Hmmm what a bummer! Sometimes millet can get mushy if you try to fluff it too quickly after cooking (instead of cooling first). Did you wait to fluff it? I’m sorry it didn’t work out!

Raewyn     at 7:42 pm

I definitely know what’s going to be on the table this Thanksgiving! ;) Thank you so much, Emily – I love your recipes and your blog. Gahh…I wish I could meet you and cook amazing vegetarian meals with you one day! Oh – and made my votes. :)

Haha thank you. :)

Chelsey @ Chew With Your Mouth Open     at 10:23 am

My mouth is watering! That looks so yummy!

Brittany     at 10:46 am

Would this recipe do well…. being made the day before thanksgiving or even two days before, packed up in a car in a cooler to drive 8 hours and then reheated on thanksgiving day?

LOL I hope so because I would love to share this recipe with family but dont think I will be able to assemble this dish in anyone elses kitchen but mine. With travel, time, etc…I think a nice pre-made dish would be great.

If this recipe doesnt work for that, do you recommend any other thanksgiving side dishes that do well made in advance? :)

Thanks! Happy Weekend! :)

Haha I’m not sure. It’s definitely fine to make ahead though – we reheated ours and ate it all weekend and it was just as delicious as the first bite.

Brittany Reply:

Thanks! I might try it out :) Cant go wrong with squash and maple syrup :D

Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous     at 11:36 am

I’ve never tried Millet! But it looks so delish! (: Will be trying asap!

Megan     at 4:40 pm

This looks awesome!
What’s the water to millet ratio in the rice cooker?
Thanks!

Same ratio in the rice cooker! And I cooked mine on quick cooking.

Michaela     at 5:08 pm

How do you efficiently peel and cube a butternut squash? Last time I tried, it took about 20 minutes of struggling.

CAREFULLY! Haha. I always fear I am going to chop my arm off.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf     at 2:08 pm

Mmmk. I have a container of prepared coconut millet in the fridge, and it is in need of repurposing. I think I’m going to use it in some variation of this! :)

Carrie     at 4:07 pm

I’m very excited to try this recipe. I’ve been on the hunt for millet but I think the only place I’m going to find it is Whole Foods??? I’ve been a vegetarian since May and have loved every grain I’ve experimented with thus far.

I have a question about juicing b/c it’s something I’ve been considering. I count calories and I think you do too. Have you figured out how to determine the calorie count or is that something you are not concerned with while you are pregnant? Just curious for my purposes – thanks!!

Heather     at 6:39 pm

Making this tonight! Yum. Also, I voted for you. Good luck!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites     at 7:05 am

What a heavenly recipe! I adore millet and think it is incredibly underrated! Thanks for this :-D

P.S: SOOOOOOOOO Excitted for you! <3

elana     at 7:24 am

you really got me thinking about getting the rice cooker. can you share what else you make in it?
thank you!
elana

healthy ashley     at 6:45 pm

I made this tonight and it was AMAZING!

Lyndsay     at 7:06 pm

My midwife hosts an annual Baby-Q for all of her past families to get together. I made this and it was a huge hit. I’ve passed the link around to a few different people. Thanks for your awesome recipes. I’m excited for your baby to be born, but I’ll miss your tasty creations while you adjust to life with a little one. :)

Awesome! Don’t worry – the tasty creations will be back before you know it. :)

Lovely Fall Day     at 7:07 pm

[...] beautiful fall day kept me thinking about this fall recipe. I sipped on two glasses of merlot while cooking and throughout the [...]

Kelsey     at 5:14 pm

Hi Emily, we have no mustard! Can I leave it out or is there anything that will substitute??

I think it will be fine if you leave it out – it’s such a small amount!

Cooking for Fall | The Wannabe Athlete     at 8:33 am

[...] remember drooling a little when she posted her recipe for Butternut Squash and Cranberry Maple Millet,  so I checked out that recipe first. I didn’t have any millet on hand, but I did have some [...]

inspired : 10.17.11 « beka stays     at 10:32 am

[...] butternut squash anything makes me so happy [...]

Lovely Fall Day | Supertiny     at 4:23 am

Kat     at 6:29 pm

I just made this recipe and it is amazing! Thanks!

jenny     at 8:03 pm

just made this for tomorrow and it is absolutely WONDERFUL!! thank you!

Jenny     at 7:51 am

Just made this AGAIN… This time at 7:30am!

Spotlight On: Millet and What to Do With It!     at 6:25 am

[...] Butternut Squash and Cranberry Millet by Emily [...]

Martha Gray     at 6:11 am

I love this recipe! I always make it with quinoa instead of millet, because I have it on hand. This time I’m substituting sweet potatoes for squash. Thanks for a great recipe!

Susan Mercer     at 8:10 pm

I always toast millet before cooking as I believe it offers a better consistency when cooked. Does it matter with this recipe? I can hardly wait to try it.

Emily S     at 4:57 pm

Emily, I don’t have any orange juice – would lemon juice be too strong?

I wouldn’t use lemon juice – too strong and too much acid. I’d just sub in water and maybe add a little extra maple syrup for sweetness!

emily Reply:

Thank you! I just roasted a 2 pans of butternut squash tonight, and plan to use leftovers in the quinoa version tomorrow! Mmm

jenny     at 10:28 am

making it RIGHT now for the second year in a row. one of my favorite recipes of all time!! :) thanks, emily!

Liz     at 6:56 am

This is absolutely delicious but my millet was mush. I cooked it exactly like the directions and followed your instructions to let it cool. It was not crunchy at all.

Oh no! Did you toast the millet before cooking it? Sometimes that will help with the mush factor. Glad it at least tasted good, even if it was goopy!

Emily     at 12:45 pm

Do you think wheatberries would work here instead of millet, Emily?

I don’t see why not!