For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Butternut Squash and Cranberry Maple Millet.

I may be over a month early, but I can already tell you that this dish will be on my Thanksgiving table this year.  It’s still early October, and already my countertop is overflowing with winter squashes – I can’t help myself.  This recipe combines roasted butternut squash with crunchy millet, sweet cranberries, and a delicious maple balsamic dressing that is the perfect compliment.  This is one of my favorite recipes to date!

Butternut Squash and Cranberry Maple Millet

Print this recipe!

Ingredients: (serves 6-8)

• 1.5 cups dry millet
  • 4.5 cups water
  • 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • salt to taste

For the dressing:

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Instructions:  Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F.  Peel and cube a large butternut squash.  Then toss with olive oil and salt and spread in a single layer on a sheet pan.  Pop it into the oven and roast for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking.

While the squash is roasting, cook your millet.  I cooked mine in my rice cooker, but you can just as easily cook it on the stovetop.  Combine 1.5 cups dry millet with 4.5 cups water, and simmer until all water is absorbed and the millet is cooked.

Once cooked, make sure to let it cool before fluffing with a fork.  This recipe works best with millet that has cooled for at least 20 minutes before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.

By the time your millet cooks and cools, the butternut squash should be just about ready.

In a small dish, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.

With everything ready, add millet, squash, and dried cranberries (I use orange-cranberries from Trader Joe’s!) to a large mixing bowl.  Add dressing and stir well to combine all ingredients.  Finish with salt seasoned to taste!

Like I said before, this dish is practically begging to be served at Thanksgiving.  Or perhaps at my dinner table tonight…

While millet is certainly my grain of preference, you could definitely try swapping it out for whatever yours might be.  I’m sure other varieties of squash would taste good as well.  The sweeter the better!  I also think that roasting the squash seeds and sprinkling on top would make for a delicious crunchy garnish.  Unfortunately, I didn’t come up with that idea until mine were in the trashcan, but you should definitely try it with yours.

Now that I have this delicious fall dish waiting for me in my kitchen, the only thing missing from my perfect October weekend is finding a good place to go apple picking in Seattle…

Happy weekend – enjoy!

——————————————————————————————————————————————-

In other food news, I found out this week that I have been nominated for two Foodbuzz Awards this year!  I am completely shocked, and most definitely honored.  I’m nominated for Best General Cooking Blog and Best Veg Blog –if you feel like I am a good fit for either of these, I’d love your vote!

n-bestgeneralcooking      n-bestvegblog

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your continued support.

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites     at 7:05 am

What a heavenly recipe! I adore millet and think it is incredibly underrated! Thanks for this :-D

P.S: SOOOOOOOOO Excitted for you! <3

elana     at 7:24 am

you really got me thinking about getting the rice cooker. can you share what else you make in it?
thank you!
elana

healthy ashley     at 6:45 pm

I made this tonight and it was AMAZING!

Lyndsay     at 7:06 pm

My midwife hosts an annual Baby-Q for all of her past families to get together. I made this and it was a huge hit. I’ve passed the link around to a few different people. Thanks for your awesome recipes. I’m excited for your baby to be born, but I’ll miss your tasty creations while you adjust to life with a little one. :)

Awesome! Don’t worry – the tasty creations will be back before you know it. :)

Lovely Fall Day     at 7:07 pm

[…] beautiful fall day kept me thinking about this fall recipe. I sipped on two glasses of merlot while cooking and throughout the […]

Kelsey     at 5:14 pm

Hi Emily, we have no mustard! Can I leave it out or is there anything that will substitute??

I think it will be fine if you leave it out – it’s such a small amount!

Cooking for Fall | The Wannabe Athlete     at 8:33 am

[…] remember drooling a little when she posted her recipe for Butternut Squash and Cranberry Maple Millet,  so I checked out that recipe first. I didn’t have any millet on hand, but I did have some […]

inspired : 10.17.11 « beka stays     at 10:32 am

[…] butternut squash anything makes me so happy […]

Lovely Fall Day | Supertiny     at 4:23 am

Kat     at 6:29 pm

I just made this recipe and it is amazing! Thanks!

jenny     at 8:03 pm

just made this for tomorrow and it is absolutely WONDERFUL!! thank you!

Jenny     at 7:51 am

Just made this AGAIN… This time at 7:30am!

Spotlight On: Millet and What to Do With It!     at 6:25 am

[…] Butternut Squash and Cranberry Millet by Emily […]

Martha Gray     at 6:11 am

I love this recipe! I always make it with quinoa instead of millet, because I have it on hand. This time I’m substituting sweet potatoes for squash. Thanks for a great recipe!

Susan Mercer     at 8:10 pm

I always toast millet before cooking as I believe it offers a better consistency when cooked. Does it matter with this recipe? I can hardly wait to try it.

Emily S     at 4:57 pm

Emily, I don’t have any orange juice – would lemon juice be too strong?

I wouldn’t use lemon juice – too strong and too much acid. I’d just sub in water and maybe add a little extra maple syrup for sweetness!

emily Reply:

Thank you! I just roasted a 2 pans of butternut squash tonight, and plan to use leftovers in the quinoa version tomorrow! Mmm

jenny     at 10:28 am

making it RIGHT now for the second year in a row. one of my favorite recipes of all time!! :) thanks, emily!

Liz     at 6:56 am

This is absolutely delicious but my millet was mush. I cooked it exactly like the directions and followed your instructions to let it cool. It was not crunchy at all.

Oh no! Did you toast the millet before cooking it? Sometimes that will help with the mush factor. Glad it at least tasted good, even if it was goopy!

Emily     at 12:45 pm

Do you think wheatberries would work here instead of millet, Emily?

I don’t see why not!